Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys, This is nick shot, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the.
Speaker 2: Official Dallas Cowboys Act. And now your hosts Mickey Spagnola, Everson Wolves, Nate Newton, and Bill Jones.
Speaker 3: Another beautiful day for football here in Oxnard, California. Yes, it is day number ten of Cowboys training camp. It's day number three in pads today, and we are now less than ten days away from the first preseason game for your Dallas Cowboys against the Jacksonville Jaguars a week from Saturday at AT and T Stadium, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola, Nate Newton, and general Man. We have football tonight. In fact, how about that the Hall of Fame game is tonight the Jets and the Browns.
Speaker 1: Actually it's this afternoon, this afternoon for us, or I think it starts four thirty here. Well that's tonight four thirty here, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Okay, Cowboys played next Saturday. Wait on us Watson is playing, thank you man. But it's football, it is and it's on TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow.
Speaker 3: And Producers Supreme is motioning over here for something I was.
Speaker 4: Going to tell you.
Speaker 1: Remember, DeMarcus is doing the national anthems? Right, that's right.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest.
Speaker 5: Thing I'll turn out when Mickey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Mickey sat down here with his uh parka and you already got long sleeves on, you got a hoodie. My phone says he's stressed like seven dress like this. This broadcast is from Green Bay.
Speaker 1: And look he's sitting here with shorts like this like he's freezing.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: But when when when Mickey sat down here, he said, we got to talk about DeMarcus ware, that's right. They said, what happened to DeMarcus? And I forgot? He's singing the national anthem today?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely. I bet he's more nervous for that than having to give his accepting speech.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they have the war the words up on the big board.
Speaker 3: You know, if he's confident enough, if he's confident enough to volunteer to sing the national anthem, I think he's got it down.
Speaker 1: Do you know Brad Sham's brother, Eric sa national anthem last night the Rangers game.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, And you can see Eric Sham on a daily basis at a at the Star and given tours. He gives tours out there.
Speaker 4: He's not singing, but he's given to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he comes, maybe you have to pay extra on that tour.
Speaker 4: Only with the Cowboys, Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nate, what's on your mind this morning?
Speaker 4: Just anything you guys want to talk about.
Speaker 5: We tried before the show, we tried to get a pre prep with Mick and all he talked about was DeMarcus Ware And the first thing he did when we come on airs, forget about DeMarcus.
Speaker 4: Nick, what are we talk about?
Speaker 1: When asked me about that, Hey, I know what I see. Let's start here, Okay. Mike Solari, he had an interview yesterday.
Speaker 3: I think probably the assistant coaches did interviews with the local media after they walked through yesterday.
Speaker 1: And so I was thinking with Tyron Smith, he talked about salary the other day when he actually did an interview out there, and he was talking about how he brings a lot of energy to the room, talked about how he is kind of old school and he'll tell you which needs to be told. But it dawned on me with Tyron had gotten here since twenty eleven, Yes, first round pick? How many offensive line coaches. Off the top of your head, do you think he's had.
Speaker 4: Seven?
Speaker 1: Nate right on the Oh, really seven is seven? I went back and looked it up and it started Bill Callahan, good coach, great coach, Hudson Howe great. Actually Hudson how.
Speaker 4: First, good coach, great coach. Then it was.
Speaker 1: Paul Alexander a coach, half half a season a coach, Mark Colombo good coach. Then uh, Frank I skipped Frank Pollard was before Mark maybe Collard was in there, and then Joe Philbin and now Mike Slari. So it's like almost once every two years he's had a new offensive line.
Speaker 3: Offensive line coaches too. And in fact, Mike Solari, for you longtime Cowboys fans, he was on this staff when Tom Landry was the head coach, and.
Speaker 1: I was that came in the players eighty eight. Get you On special teams.
Speaker 5: I was doing a kickoff return yes back then, yeah, yeah I was. I was part of the wedge.
Speaker 1: Yeah you were the whole way.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, we we was topping the line.
Speaker 5: Go back and check the stat We wasn't joking, bro, I was calling whether it was right or left return, or whether it was reverse whatever.
Speaker 4: I was the one calling it.
Speaker 5: I wasn't the smartest guy in the world, but I could see the different hashes, so I.
Speaker 1: Could call you left and right up the middle, Yes, sir, very good. So anyway, I just thought that was interesting that he's had that many offensive line coaches over the UH and well respected.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the moves that thirty four.
Speaker 1: Years of coaching in the NFL, thirty four that's ah, this I should say this is his thirty fourth year.
Speaker 3: So well, the guy who replaced Joe Philbin it may not have been in the NFL for thirty four years, but he's got to got to have at least thirty four years of experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there in college prior to and the and the difference in personalities one hundred and eighty degrees right.
Speaker 4: When you this is this is when you It's all.
Speaker 5: About your presentation with offensive linemen, when you walk through the door, and how you present yourself go a long way with these guys because they if you tell them one thing and you're going to be this way, you got to be that way. And a lot of coaches that I in that first coach you did, the guy that went to the Washington Commune.
Speaker 1: Callahan, Bill Callahan, I liked.
Speaker 4: Him because he didn't play.
Speaker 5: If you play well, he gonna tell you played well, but you didn't play great.
Speaker 4: And that's what he's looking for.
Speaker 5: And when he work his individual deal, he asks for you to get into individuals and get involved. A lot of times guys will have do things. We really do win the game. In practice. Our preparation is everything as a unit because we all has to be on the same page. And if that coach ain't getting that over real well and giving you scenarios and situations where you can adjust in the game real well or transform it to the transfer.
Speaker 4: What's worth what I'm looking for, transition it to the game easily. That guy's not doing his job.
Speaker 5: And and coach we've had a few coaches Hudson Hall, coach y'all Callahan, those guys are great.
Speaker 4: Coach clari is up that ilk. You don't need new school offensive line coaches. You really don't. All of those guys should stay old school.
Speaker 5: Now other other positions, well, I'm serious, other positions right, Uh, you know I got to do this and to do that. Yeah, oh man, we're doing it like this. And coach McCarthy said, you don't need a lot of padded practices because the new NFL requires a little bit more athletic ability because the field is we're covering the whole field. But that's not really true with the offensive line, you know, because we're in a certain area all the time, and we're not going past that area a lot of the times, whether it's a pass or run, we kind of stay in that same area. So it's it's a little bit more physical. So you do need that old school coach that's gonna drill technique, gonna do his drills at a high pace, so these guys can be easy to transition.
Speaker 1: Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking you had five different offensive line coaches with.
Speaker 5: The coachmar Okay, Jim ring Back, Tony Wise, coach Hudson Hawk Okay, and did I have anybody else?
Speaker 1: There wasn't somebody between Irkinbach and Tony right, because when Jimmy got here in the n nine, he bought Tony Wise.
Speaker 5: Yes, I had, I had all of my Now my first jim My coach moral was my least uh, I would say, technique guy and now he he You had to know the plays but technique and getting you prepared for a game for the situations that you will face. He wasn't great at that, but you were gonna be in shape and you were gonna know the plays. Now, how you blocked those plays was gonna be up to you.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But Tony Wise, Jim Urknbeck, they made sure you knew the technique, the proper way to do it. And coach Hudson Hawk was a technician because we had to be.
Speaker 4: We were drop step guys. When he got here.
Speaker 5: We had to take a step, drop step, get in sync and that lined us up always with.
Speaker 4: The running back, especially doing running back plays.
Speaker 5: We were always in sync, always in step with the running back, so he get.
Speaker 4: The proper read for the proper holes.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling you I had some of the best, if not the best. The only guy I missed was that guy that left us and went to Washington.
Speaker 1: Callahan, that dude.
Speaker 5: He is one of the best. That's all I can say. He's not offensive coordinator. He think he is, but he's offensive line.
Speaker 3: Coach Mike Solari. I'm just looking at his resume and we mentioned when he was he was with the Cowboys, as the assistant offensive line coach in special teams coach in nineteen eighty seven and eighty eight. Prior to that, he had coached in college. Listened to his journey now go all the way back nineteen seventy six when he was the offensive line coach straight out of college at Mission Bay High School out here in California, Myra Costa College, United States International, Boise State, Cincinnati, Kansas, and pitt Then to the NFL with the Cowboys in eighty seven, the Phoenix Cardinals under Gene Stallings in eighty nine, to Alabama with Gene Stallings nineteen ninety and ninety one. Back to the NFL, he was with the Niners and their Super Bowl in their nineties teams that went up against the Nate Newton's Cowboys. Ninety two through ninety six, he was the tight ends coach, so he was Brent Jones coach with the Niners. Then he went to Kansas City so that he would have been with McCarthy there early on in ninety seven. With Kansas City, he was there at ninety seven through five through seven offensive coordinator at the end of his run there. Then goes to Seattle eighth nine to San Francisco with Harbaugh twenty ten to fourteen, to Green Bay with McCarthy in twenty fifteen, to the Giants in twenty sixteen seventeen, and then back to Seattle in eighteen twenty one with Pete Carroll.
Speaker 4: And what that tells me is whether you a zone or a solo block. I call it solo block.
Speaker 5: And when you do one on one block and its zone block is when you take off and run and pick up area man area. So it don't matter what offense you in. This guy can coach it and he understands what he needs. And a guy like that is when you come into the West Coast offense, you have to have a guy like that that can adjust everything because he got to be continually teaching his players. This scheme is gonna be different this week because you change a little bit more.
Speaker 4: When you go to the West Coast offense.
Speaker 3: Was what was his last offensive lineman?
Speaker 4: Yes, what was his.
Speaker 1: Last before coming here Seattle? Seattle?
Speaker 3: They were a bunch of bruises And he was not coaching last year in Seattle. He was through twenty one.
Speaker 1: Right, And a lot of times when the coaches move around like that, it has to do with staffs changing, the head coach coming in, getting the guy they want.
Speaker 3: And why is he here? He was with McCarthy a couple of times in the past.
Speaker 1: Right and who you know anyway, So yeah, the assistants were available yesterday, probably the only time we I mean we can talk to him, but they actually stood, you know, in front of cameras or whatever.
Speaker 5: He's your MVP. He's your MVP or he's your goat. Yeah, that's just the bottom line. He he If we go far, it's gonna be because of Coachlar. If we don't go far, it's gonna be because of him. In the offensive line, I just believe that this year. It make you heard me say it a thousand times. That's that's I'm basing this this year of the two things, protecting the ball and how offensive line plays, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's got a kind of a dual job here, not only getting the starting five set, but he's also has to develop depth on this offensive line. And you know, we sit here and go, well, it looks like that second offensive line might be pretty good, but now we got to see it. Unfortunately for some of those guys, And after watching the first couple team padded practices. You had some young guys at tackle, like, well, let's go. I guess a Dooga is not exactly a young guy, but he hasn't played that much in the league.
Speaker 4: Do we still do yoga?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: They better heard him, get some yoga. That kid is, man, I've seen ironing boards move by that bro.
Speaker 3: They do yoga.
Speaker 4: They haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: That's because they do it where you can't see it. Oh, indoors, No, it's outdoors.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you they need to hurry up.
Speaker 5: They need to do it twice a day with this kid, I'm telling you, man, I am.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: This number eleven Okay, he's great. Number eleven is great. But he lined he lines up at on seventy one and don't even don't even acknowledge it. He's like, he don't even he just ran that, behd. He don't even acknowledge him. He don't touch him, you don't. He's just and walk so bothers me.
Speaker 1: Here's where I was going with that, because Parsons, it almost doesn't matter who's lining up at taxing.
Speaker 4: I agree, but at least he has to acknowledge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyron, Tyron and steal.
Speaker 4: Still at least at least they get a hand on it.
Speaker 1: But he's he's abusing the tackles and you gotta understand. So you got to decide is it Parsons or is it you know, these guys struggling.
Speaker 5: Because I see, well, let's go go right at uh Follower. No problem that he'll not follow on the ground. The problem with our offensive line right now, This is with Josh Baul, this is with seventy nine.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go.
Speaker 5: You have to at some point jam the guy out and fight. You can't continue to give ground. You're gonna be on.
Speaker 4: Top of the quarterback. You have to pick a spot and say I'm getting to this spot and you.
Speaker 5: Gotta fight, and you gotta fight. And these guys are too passive and I don't know how you change that. I don't know how you change that. And I and uh cheshamerglocked him. A great Raider player out of Clemson, first round pick, was with the Raiders, and we was watching film and coach do this, Nate technique, this take that, And I was a maller. I was a fighter, and so I'm trying to do all these technique. I find myself just backing up, losing every battle. And then Tony Wise stopped me and he said.
Speaker 4: Hey, look at here, Nate, look at her.
Speaker 5: He he rally cussings and hey, Nate, look at here. But uh, I understand that we're teaching technique and we want to believe in our technique.
Speaker 4: He said, by get.
Speaker 5: Something point, you gotta stop and fight this son of it. You know what I'm saying, right and and and then I started winning the battles again. He like, Nate, I'm gonna teach you technique and we're gonna have to always believe in that. But at some point you have to stop and fight and let a person know you. I ain't backing up, bro, I got a paras just like you.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Chester mcloughtin was coached by Mike Solari in Kanesas City.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: When did you run across Chester mcglocktay? He just he was with the Raiders, Okay, Devens right ninety two through ninety seven. He was with the Raiders.
Speaker 5: You're talking of a talent that did not reach his potential. I feel bad. I feel sorry for that kid. I mean, now, he was a great player.
Speaker 3: Hey, you played twelve years in the league. He played twelve years in the league and four time Pro bowler.
Speaker 5: Off talent alone, he could have been a ten time pro bowler if he wanted to.
Speaker 3: Six three, three hundred and thirty four pounds. That's why he's listed here.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and in the ball when he wanted the ball, he was nasty.
Speaker 1: So there's been a also a well, speaking of Parsons, Yeah, when he did his interview, he was talking about the benefits of having Stefan Gilmore on the team, and they were going back and forth and he kept talking about, well, I told Gilmore, if if if you covered the way you cover, you can get me three more sacks, and and and then he told Gilmore, he said, and by the way, you're gonna get more interceptions because quarterbacks aren't gonna have any time to throw the ball. You know, you can kind of count on it.
Speaker 4: So why do I love Parsons? And I don't Basically, I don't care what he does say.
Speaker 5: But why is it why does it always lead back to I'm the man because he is the man.
Speaker 3: Because he is the man that I know that.
Speaker 4: And that's why I said, I don't care what he's saying, because I was like, oh, Gody, he's praising Gilmore. Oh my, but so lady, why is background?
Speaker 1: I will help you out too. You know what it you know what it reminds. And this defensive front could be pretty strong, including the linebackers, because they're using the lineback. Well, they started Parsons as a linebacker. Now he's rushing. They got vander Ash rushing as a defensive end in some situations. That's gonna be interesting to watch. But that pass rush could be awfully good. And you know what it reminded me of. And stop me if I already told the story. You remember I Colt came over with the trade from herschel Walker, so it had to be like ninety or ninety one. Everybody was praising the Eagles secondary how good they were. So we're in the locker room one day and you know Ike, he's pretty funny, and we're in the locker room one day and somebody was talking about their secondary and Ike goes, well, let me show you what the Eagle cornerbacks do almost every play. So he reminded everybody of their front Reggie White, Clyde Simmons in whoever, the other fourth guy was, and he goes, here, here's what their corners do. So he gets down in his stance with his hands on his knees and he back pedals right, and he goes, all right, here we go snap and he steps three steps back. He stands up, puts his arms across his chest. I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm good because he knew.
Speaker 1: They didn't have to cover very last, right, especially with that front, all right, and so if the Cowboys can put a pass rush together like that, now you still got to stop the run. But the pressure on opposing quarterback is gonna help the secondary.
Speaker 3: All right. We're just getting started here on mixed shines on a beautiful Thursday. Is Thursday, Thursday, Hall of Fame game Thursday. DeMarcus wearing national anthem Day Thursday. And we're back at a moment.
Speaker 6: I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life for cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between. Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions. Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tools is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailed gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: We know that JC cheesy grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burgers Yang Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing, ice cooled Kola a journey to foutopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: To mixed shots. K Posts Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys from corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six oh and that would be Kpostcompany dot Com.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue nowt here on mixed shots. You know yesterday was a deck day for the local media. We got our car wash, We got our four minutes and thirty seconds with with dek.
Speaker 1: Did you use it wisely?
Speaker 3: I tried to, Okay, try.
Speaker 4: You give it my.
Speaker 1: Few nuggets to get some nuggets from Bill Jones.
Speaker 3: What you want to know from him?
Speaker 1: I want to know what the nuggets A expert here, you asked the question.
Speaker 3: Yes, what was my first question to him, Trayvon Diggs. No, Now, in fact, I saw it happen out here and I thought nothing of it. No, I thought it and I see it later that it's making and.
Speaker 1: I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: And you know, Doosey's sitting at home, okay, and so he's watching everything that come in on Twitter, and so he asked him about it because because and he said, Ducy asked it a very professional one, see and.
Speaker 1: What what what? What started it was when the offense.
Speaker 3: Was He got a smile out of that.
Speaker 1: When the offense was doing well, that kind of postured towards the defensive sideline.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's just normal natural stuff that happens all the time that you want to happen on the practice field, that's right. My first question was about Zeke, of course, and do you want Zeke back? Well, I hope he comes back. No, did he say that he's the way I couched it was? How strange is it without Zeke here? And is there a part of you that hopes that someday you could be teammates again, and he immediately said, yeah, I'd love to be teammates again. But he understands the business of ball and you know so, uh I guarantee you though behind the scenes he's saying, oh.
Speaker 1: Sure, but he's talking to him regularly.
Speaker 3: Well, And that's the other thing he said. He said that he talks to him every other day, and he said he had he's had a couple of visits. Of course, the only one that's public is the New England one. Apparently there's been another one too, So you know what, I think, I'm just keeping an eye on it until Zeke signs somewhere. It's still an item.
Speaker 5: Ric O'Donnell and Malik Davis don't pan out. Yeah, sign him right then, But until you decide in your mind is coaching staff and as a player personnel guy, until you decide that these two guys can't do the job, you just go signing round.
Speaker 3: That's why when when McCarthy answers the question about about the other day, he's talking about right now that when when he's asked, do you want Zeke back? Or it came up because of the Ronald Jones suspension, whatever, and and and he basically said that, well, you know, we want to see these guys in preseason and training camp, in preseason games and give them snaps now and see what we got here.
Speaker 1: And that's what he was trying to point out.
Speaker 3: He wasn't he's not he's not ruling out right.
Speaker 1: We got to give these weeks from now, Yeah, we gotta, and we got to see if if inexpensively, we can fill that spot with these guys. We don't need a progress stopper here. And even when Jerry said, we haven't shut the door on it, but he went on to say, we'll see as.
Speaker 3: As we get into the season, and and and the way I take him when he says into the season they start getting into the season once they break camp is the way I look.
Speaker 4: Absolutely as simple as this.
Speaker 5: If you decided neither one of these guys what you need, because.
Speaker 4: I like Ronald Jones, but that was never one of my.
Speaker 5: Guys, you can't he's a progress stopper because ric O'Donnell and Elik Davis has shown great potential to me, I know, as runners, all I need to know if I if I can't depend on you the block or or at least get in the web of the right guy doing blitz pick up or quick escape bothering. Now, if you decide that you can't do that, I don't need you. I can go out and find pure runners.
Speaker 4: I need that guy.
Speaker 5: That can do just a little extra. But if one of these guys can do extra, we have no need for Ronald Jones. Sorry, sir, I know you're a Super Bowl winner. I love you to death, but and we have no room for Zeke. You can feel that with another spot. These two guys don't know how much is riding on them.
Speaker 1: They need to understand it.
Speaker 3: Where we are right now and Zeke is. Players get hurt all the time all across the league. And we'll see if a team loses a back and they need someone likes then the market is there for him.
Speaker 5: One thing about Zeke he's durable, he's dependable, and he's old school.
Speaker 1: You know you need a running back, they're gonna fight. Yeah, when there's no game there and you get two.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's old school. So but I'm telling you, fellas, Uh, the day you decide.
Speaker 4: Don't wait.
Speaker 5: If you have two preseason games and you say, uh, sign Zeke, right, don't wait but because when this season start, we do not have a letdown in our season, y'all.
Speaker 4: We start with the Giants, we start with it. We do not have a letdown.
Speaker 5: We do not play anybody that's insignificant for a long time. So we can't afford to lose games because we need to be either one or two.
Speaker 4: In the ease.
Speaker 1: I mean it starts Giants.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, Yes, we can't lose neither one of those games Arizona, we can on the road, we can't lose.
Speaker 3: So clarify on Ronald Jones on his suspension. He has to be on the fifty three man roster, he count. The suspension doesn't start until the first week, and so it's not like he goes on a suspended list at the fifty three man roster. Am I right?
Speaker 1: Or does he have to be on the fifty three and then think he has to be on this?
Speaker 3: Okay, so he would not count he was being suspended, the first two games would not count. I think we need to clarify automatically.
Speaker 1: I think goes on suspension. I mean, I guess you have to be on a team. That's a good thing. To clarify. We need to So did you ask Dak about his interceptions.
Speaker 3: Well, it was in the context of of I went down a road a narrative with his Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award, which, by the ways, you may have noticed if you were watching practices closely out here, there's a patch on his jersey that every Walter an NFL Man of the Year Award winner wares on game jerseys during during during games. Well, he's got his has on his practice jersey as well. Oh really, and and you notice, well, I'm the media guide here and so anyway, uh, it's on the media guide. You can see it on there. But so I went down that road with him, and we've talked about we got to talking about his mom, and of course the big thing with his mom, as Jerry was pointing out in his interviews, is Dak's mom always told him don't when he left the house in the morning, Uh, don't throw an interception today, you know. And so we did in that context. One thing about Dak though, and you know, he just turned thirty. The other thing that this year, this fall will be the ten year anniversary of his mom's passing. Oh, which was it was twenty thirteen and When you dig back into Dak's career at Mississippi State, that was his sophomore year at Mississippi State in twenty thirteen. He had just he was They had a dual quarterback system there. He started wound up starting seven games. But I did some digging and researching for the interview, went back and looked at when his mom died, which was November three of twenty thirteen. They played Texas A and M. Johnny Manziel in Texas A and M the following Saturday. He buried his mom on Wednesday. He played in the game on Saturday, and he played a great game. He got hurt in that game, Okay, he heard his elbow and it was it was one of those Rock Purty type injuries where he couldn't feel anything. He had to come out of the game, all right. The Egg Bowl, the big rivalry game against Ole Miss, which was nineteen days later November twenty.
Speaker 1: Eighth, covered many of those.
Speaker 3: Okay. The doctors leading up to that game said it would be a miracle if Dak Prescott played in that game because of what was going on with his elbow, so he didn't start the game. Mississippi State is trailing in the fourth quarter, Dak comes off the bench, even though it's a miracle that he could even come off the bench. He and completes eleven passes. They tie the game, they go into overtime, Dak scores the winning touchdown, and overtime get I get goosebumps even just telling the story. But it was just when when you talk about when Dak talks about which is kind of the theme of his career, dealing with adversity and you find strength in adversity, I mean that it was manifested in the days and weeks after his mom's passing, and it's it's and it set the tone for his entire career. He went on the next year Mississippi State. Mississippi States never ranked number one in the country. They got all the way up to number one in the country the following year with him as a starting quarterback. I go back, when you go back and review his college career, you go how in the and then you know what we know about him as a leader and everything about him. How in the world did NFL teams miss on this guy where he was a fourth round draft pick. It's amazing when you go back and look at what he had did in.
Speaker 1: College, and every one of them missed on them, and and the Cowboys missed four rounds before they got on everybody second picked in the fourth round, right.
Speaker 5: Because you know that when they first they they wanted someone else.
Speaker 1: Oh, they tried three other quarterbacks they tried to get the Cowboys, and none of them, none of them that were drafted ahead of them, or still if I got this right, still with their same team.
Speaker 3: So anyway that I went down that road with Dak in the interview, rather.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys got to be the luckiest. We fell into you type teed, we fell into we fell into number eleven because you wanted some corners. Corners went there. Well, we'll take this guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you could do the same thing with Micah. You look at him and like, how did eleven teams miss on him before the Cowboys got him with the twelfth pick of the All right, we continue with more mixed shots in a moment.
Speaker 4: I need.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 6: I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 4: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trust at by America's team.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboys, fish ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring yokiero guacamole and be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero guacamole.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 1: To mixed shuts.
Speaker 5: Right now. Micky is not here, but I'm gonna do the Fan of the Year. Do you eat, sleep, and breathe Dallas Cowboys Football. Tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboy Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes, plus he tripped to.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 5: Nominate yourself another today at dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year and Mickey is drinking some Captain Morgan, thank you.
Speaker 3: The water boys back.
Speaker 1: Guess what happened the first one I punched in, the thing moved over there.
Speaker 4: I got stuck.
Speaker 1: No, and it left before the thing came in the receptacle. I said, oh.
Speaker 3: No, he did explain what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So there's a machine there. You got to push the letter and the number and the little deal kind of comes up.
Speaker 3: Very good halfway grabbed the bottle. The bottle stuck there and so this was this was the thing laugh and the thing dropped to the bottom of the machine. So Mickey left here. He needed he needed some water and Nate and sisted he get three of them for us and producers Supreme Cornhole Champion over there. He said that you got two minutes at a two minute break, and obviously Mickey didn't make it back in two minutes.
Speaker 4: So you can read that fan thing. I think I messed uIP on part of it.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this show was brought to you by Miller like and they like Mickey so much that Mickey guys a lot of gear for Miller Light.
Speaker 1: Now, so when you mentioned this is going to be a good segue into DeMarcus Ware the eleventh pick.
Speaker 3: Yes, we need to talk d Ware.
Speaker 1: That's right. The Cowboys got DeMarcus Ware with the eleventh pick in the first round in two thousand and five. You remember, Yeah, great pick, great pick, Bill, and I wanted him.
Speaker 3: That's right. In fact, that was in the early days of the Cowboys Channel, and we were doing programming for the Cowboys Channel leading up to the draft and we interviewed I want to say it was his college coach. We interviewed Marcus Spears, heighth high school coach. So we had it narrowed down, just like they did in the Cowboys draft room. They had it narrowed down to Marcus Spears, this former basketball player from Southern lab High School and Baton Rouge. He went to LSU and to Marcus Ware, this former wide recevir or at Troy, who who went to Troy as one hundred and ninety five pound wide receiver and came out of Troy as a two hundred and sixty pound defensive end. And we were we decided that d Ware should be the Sean Merriman was the other one they had in and we all liked Dware.
Speaker 1: Well. The interesting thing on DeMarcus Ware. I remember that year I was headed to the Super Bowl in Florida and on the way we stopped in Alabama for the Senior Bowl in Mobile, and I remember asking, I believe I asked Chris Hall. I said, you guys are looking for sort of a linebacker pass rushing defensive end. Who should I keep my eye on? And he said, this guy, DeMarcus Ware. Just kind of keep an eye on him right well during the game. And that's all I saw was the game. They had to lind him up as a down defensive end with his hand on the ground, and then they lined him up as like an outside linebacker right and man, he could do both. And there was a play that was away from him and he was at left defensive end. He ran the guy down on the right sideline and I'm going, okay, I'm sold this guy. Uh, that's got to be the pick. And they ended up getting them with eleven and spears at twenty yep uh and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: And Jerry, I asked, Jerry interview earlier this week, asked him about that draft day decision. Of course, as legend had it, you know, Parcels wanted spears and uh and everyone else wanted d ware basically, and but Jerry said that the Parcels reasoning on that was he felt like with spears it had to do with scheme, and he felt like with with spears they could stay in a four to three defense, They could do either a four to three or three four with where if they made to pick a where they had to go to a three four.
Speaker 1: And he gave a five minute story about the bet right.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, which we don't have to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have time for that. So you tell me, DeMarcus where with the Cowboys set the career sack record with one hundred and seventeen. He had two seasons with twenty and nineteen and a half. What made him such a good pass rusher from an offensive lineman standpoint, He.
Speaker 4: Wasn't gonna let you put his hand. You weren't gonna put your hands on me.
Speaker 5: He tried if all he came to me his rookie year, I was out at unt. But it's during this camp and they paid him to come out and he said, big Noon, how you doing, sir?
Speaker 4: That this great respect? He said, Man, you need to show me some things.
Speaker 5: I said, son, all I can tell you, and I looked at him, how smaller?
Speaker 4: I said, son, Just don't do not let them put your hands.
Speaker 5: I said, I know you think that's crazy what I'm saying, because I ain't showing you no techniques, but don't let them put their hands on you, because once they do, you up through.
Speaker 4: And he just thought about it. He said okay.
Speaker 5: And about five years they said, hey, big Noon, I said, what's up, hey, man?
Speaker 4: They still ain't touching me.
Speaker 1: So well. He probably came out at about two forty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: I think he was two fifty two combine he was two fifty one.
Speaker 5: Hip being when you going around in the first thing I looked for in the defensive end or outside Lineberry, do.
Speaker 4: You have initial speed.
Speaker 5: If you have initial speed and you can bend at the waist so when they hit you on the back of your shoulder, it launches you into the quarterback. If you can do that, you got half of the game beat. And he could do that. He could get outside fast enough that he can get his shoulders bent and he can lean and you can launch it right into the quarterback, whether it's three step drop, five step, or seventh step, depending on what he felt was gonna be. He he was good at that, and then he just built this game after that.
Speaker 1: You know, his bill pointed out, you know when he went to Troy like a wide receiver tight end, and they finally moved him to defensive end. But he was a guy, and then he was on a mission because he was born in Auburn, Alabama, and they no interest in him whatsoever coming out of high school and he had to go to Troy because.
Speaker 3: He's under ninety Yeah. Right, his measurables at the combine. Okay, you talk about that bend. That three cone drill is what really shows that he ran a six eight three cone drill at two hundred and fifty one pounds. I mean, that's as good as you'll find and that's a great indicator that he can, yeah around that corner. And he had a four oh seven shuttle, thirty eight and a half vertical, twenty seven benchrips. It's forty four to six five. Yeah, yeah, it's pretty good ten yard split.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See this is what what I this is what It lets you know that Parson is unique because what Parson runs.
Speaker 4: A four four four five. It is so hard to run that in a short distance. Can you be as quick and as.
Speaker 5: Fast and show your forty within four yards? You know it takes you don't take a guy two or three steps to get going, But it didn't take d Ware to it. It took him one step to get going. It takes Parsons one step. And that is scary because we cannot judge your speed. And then he has a different speed when the game start, so he's playing with you all the time because he know he's much faster than you. So and this is what Parson has to learn if he's gonna make it all seventeen games at demens Man.
Speaker 4: He can play with guys he has three speeds and all of them can beat you.
Speaker 5: And then once he learns that, it learns how to really play the game and find out you don't have to be wide open on every play. You can set guys up with your speed. He's gonna be devastating.
Speaker 3: And as we wrap up this edition and Mike shots, of course, a couple of other guys who played for the Cowboys also going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the great Chuck Hallie Yea, and Zach Thomas, who played his last year with the Cowboys. I can't believe it's still It's been fifteen years since Zach Thomas was out here in two thousand and eight as a member of the Cowboys. And you talk about a guy who needed the yoga classes, he would he would spend more time stretching before practice than he would stretch.
Speaker 1: Then he would be looking for the couple of inches and probably and probably would Chuck Holly, it's been sixty years since he was in Thousand Oaks and this was long overdue for fifty fifty years. Well, no, he would have been.
Speaker 3: There, and he played in the Super Bowl in sixty seventy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: He first got here first thousand.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: All right, that does it for this edition of Mixed Shows, before we go viral with Mickey and I acting like Dak and tray Vin going at each other here at that's right show. You know what I'm gonna be What time you doing mix shots again?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: When's the next mix shots?
Speaker 1: Monday?
Speaker 3: Right next Monday, Monday. I'll be gonna I'll be headed to the airport.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're not gonna even be back in Dallas by then.
Speaker 3: No, I'm flying.
Speaker 1: So it's me and Nate. I hear maybe Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go, all right, all right, And so they will chat at you next time on mix Shots All Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.