Speaker 1: Good Morning Football is the production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, This is Good Morning Football.
Speaker 4: And those are the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Oh, when you see those guys walk down the hallway in Indianapolis, it starts.
Speaker 4: To feel real.
Speaker 3: Dylan Gabriel, Jackson Dart.
Speaker 4: The slew of guys that can.
Speaker 3: Sling the football around the combine have arrived.
Speaker 4: What's up, everybody. We're live in.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles and Indianapolis today.
Speaker 4: It's t UMFB.
Speaker 3: It's Wednesday, February twenty six, twenty twenty five. Jamieard A, Manti Tayo, Peter Schreger with the field behind him, a little different backdropper him.
Speaker 4: Cody Kessler back at the table. Good morning everybody.
Speaker 2: How we feeling great?
Speaker 4: Great, amazing good.
Speaker 3: Mantai is like salivating overseeing quarterbacks rock down the hallway. He's like, those guys stand down, Mantile, Right, we got to watch those guys throw. This weekend, a bunch of the executives are talking. They are in town in Indianapolis. They have a signed podium availability, and then they've also stopped by and talk to some of our NFL network personnel. Browns DM Andrew Berry was one of the many executives and coaches to meet with the media on Tuesday. Cleveland has the second pick in April's draft. Now, there's also been speculation that maybe they draft Colorado star cornerback slash wide receiver Travis Hunter.
Speaker 4: How you categorize him is upper your opinion no matter what.
Speaker 3: He won the Heisman Trophy playing both offense and defense.
Speaker 4: So could Brian Callahan.
Speaker 3: The head coach of Tennessee select him with the number one overall pick. Listen to those two gentlemen, Andrew Berry and Brian Callahan as they give their different opinions on where exactly Travis Hunter could excel initially in the NFL.
Speaker 5: I'd say this in terms of you know, Travis Hunter cornerback a receiver of the answers, yes, so he can.
Speaker 6: He can play.
Speaker 5: He can play both, and I think that's what makes him special. You'll be with see him as as a receiver primarily first, but I think part of again, what makes him a bit of a unicorn is the fact.
Speaker 6: That he can do both at a high level.
Speaker 7: You got to put your teeth in a position first, and then you see where you can you can add him in. So those are all conversations that we have as we work through the process. And where you know a player like him, what do you do with a player like him? And where do you first start him? And where does he help you on all sides of the ball so he can return punts?
Speaker 6: He could you know?
Speaker 7: I mean, he's he's got a really unique skill set that I don't think there's many players you can compare him to.
Speaker 1: So where did you first start?
Speaker 6: I would say you probably start him.
Speaker 7: He probably starts at corner, and then you find ways to interject him too the offense. As he gets more comfortable, he plays more and more offensively. But I think his corners is probably his starting point in my opinion. You might get varying opinions on that, but and then I think he's got a real role as a receiver.
Speaker 3: Well, those varying opinions don't matter a coach because you have the number one pick, and if you draft Travis Hunter, then you get to decide how he plays, all right. Peter Schrager and Tom Pelisera are in Indianapolis, and they have the distinct honor of knowing a ton of these guys and knowing maybe how these teams would go with Travis Hunter. Guys, quick question first and foremost, just for anybody watching and ready to ingest the combine this weekend, where is Travis Hunter working out? Because is he with the corners? Is he with the wide receivers? Maybe walk us through where this young man's weekend begins when it comes to these teams evaluating him.
Speaker 8: Tom I'll defer to you on whether he is working out or if he's going to be. But going into this combine process, there has always been this thought that he is a corner first and then a wide receiver, because that's what we've al We've seen and Charles Woodson was a two way player in college, but when he got to the NFL, it was he's a corner first and we'll use him in some plays. Troy Brown, of course, was used as a defensive back.
Speaker 2: Julian Edelman was used as the defensive back.
Speaker 8: We have not really seen a true two way player since maybe Chuck bitten Erik did in the sixties in the NFL. And yet to hear Andrew Berry, Who's got the second pick, and to hear Brian Callahan's got the first pick? Both say diverging things of hey, corner or wide receiver really tells you it's a unicorn prospect and maybe a Tier one guy.
Speaker 2: But as far as the workouts.
Speaker 8: Go, Jamie, there's been a cloud of mystery around Travis Hunter coming into this day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's with the defensive backs group, so that's the group he's doing the measurements with and the interviews. Everything's set up by a schedule. They're staggered in terms of the days. So if he works out, which he is not actually confirmed at this point, that would occur on Friday night.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 9: The last true two way player I can think of was Deon Sanders had won really big year as a wide receiver in Dallas.
Speaker 2: He wanted to play offensively.
Speaker 9: They would take shots to him. He put up, We'll love to look up the numbers, but he put up some actual numbers to get.
Speaker 8: A forty seven yard perception in the Super Bowl against the Steelers.
Speaker 2: They went deep to him.
Speaker 9: Yes, Yeah, So that's that's probably the closest cop and Travis Hunter is that rare. It just so happens that he played for Deon Sanders, which I'm sure was part of the the pitch way back in the day when he first recruited him.
Speaker 2: At a prior school here.
Speaker 9: But certainly that is one of the intriguing prospects in this entire draft process. There's some of the top prospects that are not going to work out here, including shud Or Sanders. Beyond some we're going to see. You'd sew the quarterbacks walking in here. Kim Wore, by the way, still undecided as of a few minutes ago. I checked in on that again whether he's going to throw. But all those other quarterbacks you saw, Jackson, Dart, Dylan Gabriel. Expect all of them to be out there and they're throwing session on Saturday.
Speaker 8: And they just were walking by us too, and I was coming into the stadium. All the quarterbacks they go in a group and Shador Sanders is there.
Speaker 2: Like you see them all they all are here.
Speaker 8: And what they're gonna be doing this morning, Jamie is they're going to be talking to the different NFL teams, So there are player interviews going on. These quarterbacks are getting measured all the sorts of different things.
Speaker 2: They just some of them might not be working out, Shador being one of them.
Speaker 8: Back to Travis Hunter though, Tom before we close the loop. You know, you look at this top five, you look.
Speaker 2: At the big names in this thing.
Speaker 8: Travis Hunter no brainer as far as top five pick at this.
Speaker 9: Point, right, I would be very surprised, But I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up being a top five pick. I mean, you can make a case certainly that Travis Hunter is the number one prospect in this draft. But also there's part of it is traditional value. You hear abdual Carter from Penn Stage is battling the shoulder injury, not gonna be ready out here, but he's gonna be ready to participate at his pro day. You don't see a ton of corners getting drafted number one overall.
Speaker 2: You don't see a ton of wide receivers ben't.
Speaker 9: Drafted number one overall. Iley at in recruitingly is an athlete who can do a lot of different things here between him, between abdual Carter and then certainly potentially Cam Moore, depending how this entire process shakes out, there's several different directions we could end up going at number one, but it's not gonna be a long way for Travis Hunter on draft.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what's also back to you guys curious what the ex players have to say, Anti Teo and Cody Kessler.
Speaker 2: Travis Hunter the unicorn prospect.
Speaker 6: At this draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he absolutely is.
Speaker 3: What a compliment we hear all the time about offensive lineman that could move positions down the line and how versatile that could be. But when you have a true two way player and if he is listened as an athlete, no what he would batten eyelash Travis Hunter Man, TI, what do you think about how teams are you know, putting the verbal thought out there about what he is as a.
Speaker 4: Player in the NFL.
Speaker 10: I totally agree that he's a Unicorn player. He's so special.
Speaker 11: I love watching Travis Hunter play, and I think what really makes him specialist Three things. Number One, he has elite ball skills, whether it's going up and high point in the ball, his body contorted in some weird way, he always finds a way to come down with the football. Number Two, he has extraordinary Now when I say extraordinary, he has extraordinary football.
Speaker 10: Like you you saw the highlight.
Speaker 11: You saw him as a corner play high, then jump all overund and get an interception.
Speaker 10: He has done that throughout his entire career.
Speaker 11: That's but not least. He's an elite competitor. This guy just wants to win. He's going to do whatever you need him to do to win. He's averaged Jamie one hundred and thirteen plays a game in college, that's a lot of games. So I know we compared him to a unicorn, but I like to compare him to a similar horse, like Oh figure, he's more of a Ferrari.
Speaker 10: He's an negotic car.
Speaker 11: Now what I mean by that is he's a high performance performance vehicle. But after a certain amount of mileage, that thing starts to wear down. No matter how many times you change the oil, no matter how many times you rotate the tires, it starts to break down a little bit. And when he's averaged one hundred and thirteen, plays a game in college, going to the NFL, if I am a GM, I'm looking at Travis as a one way player. I am because you don't take the Ferrari out just to go to the grocery store.
Speaker 10: You take it out to make a statement.
Speaker 11: And Travis Hunter is a player that is used to making statements.
Speaker 10: He made loud statements in college. He won the Heisman.
Speaker 11: I'm excited to see what he does in the NFL when he makes the statements.
Speaker 4: There, do you have a Ferrari I wish.
Speaker 10: I definitely wouldn't take.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, take it to the grocery store.
Speaker 4: This is where you would take it.
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 12: It's interesting to me because Andrew Berry says he's a wide receiver and he'll play a little bit of dB than Brian Callahan, who's an offensive minded coach, said that we're going to start him out at dB and then he'll play a little bit of wide receiver. It just shows the versatility that he has, which is so valuable. If you draft Travis Hunter, you're basically getting two players for the price of one draft pick. That's how good he is. He can play at a very high level on either side of the football. I went and watched his tape again and I watched him as a wide receiver, elite ball skills.
Speaker 6: He can go out and get the football.
Speaker 12: Not the biggest guy in the world, but his body control, his strength right there. His hand strength is unbelievable. Right, He's so exciting when he has the football in his hands. And it's hard for me to say put him on defense. He is such a playmaker with the ball in his hands. I just would love to see him on offense. But then I go back and watch the defensive side of things as a dB, and then I go I'm torn again. I understand it why I think he excels and Manti makes a great points, But for.
Speaker 6: Me is he has a cheat sheet at all times. And what I mean by that is he is a wide receiver that knows what a dB thinks. He can go out there and know how to attack a dB. He knows if he's playing inside leverage, I.
Speaker 12: Can attack that because I play the same position.
Speaker 6: And then when he goes to dB, he's inside the wide.
Speaker 12: Receiver's mind right. He knows spacing, alignment concepts. He excels at both sides of the football. So that is his cheat sheet all times.
Speaker 6: Look, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 12: If I'm a quarterback on any of the teams at the top and they go out and draft Travis Hunter and I'm on that football team, I promise you, at five am the next morning, I am at the doorstep of my GM, my head coach, my offensive coordinator, and I am telling them what they Travis Hunter wide receiver cut up that we need to put this on office, that's how good he is. But then I understand the argument'm putting on defense. But whoever does draft Travis Hunter, they're getting great competitor, h but they're going to make their team immediately better.
Speaker 3: Peter, we may be creating a fistfight between quarterbacks and defensive coordinators, like, no, he's mine, No, he's mine, no matter where he goes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and nobody's played the snaps he has, as Cody and Manti are saying, this is not just one of those. Hey, let's throw him in some splash plays and maybe get him into the red zone like he was a full time wide receiver and a full time defensive back. Quick anecdote from me UCF down in Orlando was playing Colorado this year and Charles Woodson, who's a who's a teammate of mine over at Fox, is the last defensive player to win the Heisman Trophy before Travis Hunter, did a sit down with Travis.
Speaker 2: When they were in Orlando for that game.
Speaker 8: He said, Travis Hunter stuck around for about an hour afterwards, just picking his brain, asking him all sorts of questions. Charles came back and was absolutely blown away by the young man.
Speaker 2: So if you want to talk about someone.
Speaker 8: Who respects history and just there for the sit down and was out of there, was out with his friends, playing on his phone. No, Travis Hunter was engaged. He loves the game and he wants to be a difference maker, so he's about the right stuff. Also, this isn't a razzle dazzle player that says hey look at me.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 8: No, he's playing both sides of the ball because it's what helped his team be the best they could be.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I met Travis Hunter in holy at the Polley Bowl. He was there representing because he played in the Polynesian Football Bowl. And he's a good kid man. He's such a good dude, and I really empathize and sympathize for him. And this is where our world's kind of cross is. I know that he's going through a lot of stuff outside of the football field, but he's handling it with such maturity and just his priorities. I saw him leaving the lobby one time, but the hotels like, hey, Truv, where are you going.
Speaker 10: He's like, I'm gonna go. Fish man.
Speaker 11: His mind and his reality is is football and fishing and family.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 10: And that's the recipe for me.
Speaker 11: That you talk about Ferrari, you talk about a unicorny you know it's better than a unicorn. Is a Hall of famer, And this is a type of talent that he could possibly be a Hall of Famer if you take care of him, if you make sure that he's not doing one hundred plays a game.
Speaker 10: So I love Travis Hunt.
Speaker 11: I'm personally a big fan of him, and I can't wait to see where he goes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and his loyalty is what stands out to me. Right. He followed Coach Prime.
Speaker 12: And I know people give Coach Prime a hard time with his personality and he can be out there, but when you watch Coach Prime's clips inside the locker room, inside the team meetings, he is doing a great job of helping these young men get to where they need to be. Travis Hunter is one of those players. When they left Jackson State and went to Colorado, he followed him.
Speaker 6: I promise you.
Speaker 12: Now I know nil in college football, you're not allowed to, but I promise you. There were some teams telling him, don't go to Colorado. They are a struggling program. Come to our program. We can pay you better. We can do all these things, but he stayed loyal to Shador Sanders, to coach Prime, to his teammates in Colorado. That makes me excited to play with the type of guy like that. I guess said, Whoever, whatever team gets Travis Hunter, they're getting a great competitor, but they're also getting a great.
Speaker 2: Player and great early.
Speaker 3: I've told the story before, Peter's heard it, but I'll remind you too that years ago when I was at CBS, I was around the twenty nineteen LSU team that won the national championship, and they were crazy talented, and I remember at Ogeron at the time, there was a rookie corner at the time, Derek Singley junior, and Coach O was like, listen, if we didn't have this team, he would be like wide receiver one or two. And then you realize, like, well, that's because Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson were there and like Derek Singley. So the fact that you have a guy like that who has great ball skills and he becomes the Texans corner that he is today, it really lends itself to like, Wow, a guy that can have that type of athleticism that type of hands, that type of football IQ read an offense, you can excel at that position.
Speaker 4: Peter, I am.
Speaker 3: Reminded of years back when there was the Eli Manning conversation of where he wanted to go, and there was a lot of what the player wanted. What are you hearing from really the Travis Hunter camp and does he have a preference? Is there any salesmanship going from the teams in terms of, hey, if we draft you or if we trade up for you, we will be honor you and have you in the position that you want to be in.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's that. I think it's interesting you say that.
Speaker 8: I almost think of Lamar Jackson a few years ago here at the Combine when there were teams that wanted him to work out at different positions and he was like, no, I'm a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Travis Hunter, we haven't heard that out of him, Like, hey, no, I'm either one.
Speaker 8: But there was also a difference between the stigma of asking a quarterback to play something else. With him, it's corner and its wide receiver, and I think he's open to anything. I would imagine he'd like to play both, that's for sure. But I don't think he's one of those players or has the power leverage to go into one of these top teams and say, hey, I better be able to play both of these.
Speaker 2: Or don't draft me. I'm not getting that feeling.
Speaker 8: But it's a great question, Jamie, because there have been players in the past who want to dictated what position they play at the NFL.
Speaker 3: Peter, in about twenty minutes, you got a friend coming on that set with you. Who is it who's stopping by to talk with you on GMFP.
Speaker 2: Sean McDermott's coming back. We're going to have a heart to heart with Sean McDermott and we're going to break it all down his.
Speaker 8: GM Brandon Bean spoke publicly yesterday, so did Sean at the podium. We're gonna have my mom on Good Morning Football. Bills fans, stay tuned. Sean McDermott coming in here, another big season from the Bills, knocking on the door.
Speaker 2: He's got the MVP quarterback. Can they get over the hump? We're gonna talk with Sean after this, cool Peter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can puff your chest a little bit more when you have an MVP in your room, But what else can the Bills do this offseason to differentiate themselves within the AFC.
Speaker 4: Plus, Cody Kessler is here this week.
Speaker 3: He will be a first timer with Whiteboard Wednesday.
Speaker 4: We were trying to coach him up before this.
Speaker 3: He seems like he knows what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I think he does not know what's about to happen.
Speaker 3: As Kyle Brant would say, it's an undefeated segment.
Speaker 4: Whiteboard Wednesday. Look at that combine, Rep, Rep Rep. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Good morning football.
Speaker 4: White Ford Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Every buddy, we are proud to be presented by Harbor Freight today for Whiteboard Wednesday. Look at the athletes rolling in. I don't think it should just be assigned to Trevis Hunter. I think every guy appearing this weekend is an athlete and he is fighting for a spot in the NFL Draft and onto a fifty three men roster next season. But since we are less than twenty four hours away from the twenty twenty five NFL Combine being held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, here comes our first Whiteboard Wednesday question.
Speaker 4: Cody, are you ready?
Speaker 6: I'm ready?
Speaker 4: Okay, your third in lines.
Speaker 3: You get to see two examples before you, Peter, then Manti, then Cody. Peter was a legendary combine performance that you, having been to so many in person, we'll never forget.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me write one down. Okay, Okay, I know exactly and it ten years ago I was here.
Speaker 8: Kiddeta Yukon shows up named Byron Jones and jumps twelve feet three inches in a broad jump, and everyone was like, that's never been done before. Forty six year record. Byron Jones shows up and just jumps old feet and everyone's like, what what did that really just happen? Whoa jump higher than a two feet higher than an NBA rim and.
Speaker 2: He jumps it vertically and unbelievable, and then.
Speaker 8: He goes into horizontally, then he goes into the vertical jump and jumps at forty five himself right there, So twelve three unbelievable jump from Byron Jones, it has never been broken.
Speaker 2: It is still the.
Speaker 8: Record, and at the time everyone was just like whoa, whoa, whoa what? And since then, we've seen Julio Jones try to break it, We've seen aj Green try.
Speaker 2: To break it. Nobody has done what he did right there, It's one of the coolest things you'll see they're jumping around town. That was Byron Jones.
Speaker 8: He'd go on to be a first round pick for the Dallas Cowboys and a really good player, made a lot of money in this league, and then got a payday from the Dolphins. Byron Jones came from a military family, Yukon product.
Speaker 2: We're here for it, the Byron Jones broad jump. I'll never forget where I was when that happened.
Speaker 13: Oh cool shrikes.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna throw curve and this is honest truth.
Speaker 11: My favor was Tom Brady's m okay authentically.
Speaker 10: Tom Brady's authentically.
Speaker 11: If you think about forty yard dash five two eight vertical twenty four inches agility drill, which is a five ten five four point three eight, okay, and you think about all those numbers and you think, man, like this guy's not going to mount to nothing.
Speaker 10: Well, here's some of the numbers.
Speaker 11: Seven times Super Bowl champ, most Super Bowls ever, five times.
Speaker 6: Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 11: He has a whole bunch of Pro Bowls, three time NFL MVP, and you can keep racking up the accolades. So the thing I love about Tom Brady's combine is. It reminds me that it's not about ability, it's about capability. It's not about what you're able to do, is what you're willing to do. And that's what separates the good from the greats. And this is what we're going to hear about. Tom Brady's name forever. His name is eeshton Stone. He's gonna be a first ballot Hall of Famer and it's because of the things that he did on top on the field and then the type of mentality did that he has.
Speaker 10: So my favorite one is Tom Brady.
Speaker 12: All Right, Cody, I'm going with DK metcalf, Oh, the candy Man back in twenty nineteen. He measures in at six three, two hundred and thirty. Yeah, and then he goes out and runs a four three three thirty. He jumps forty inches. And then he also goes in there and lets you know that he's strong and puts up twenty seven reps on the bench press.
Speaker 6: Very impressive.
Speaker 12: But the best thing for me that week was that there was a lot of questions about can you get in and out of breaks?
Speaker 6: Is he too stiff? Is he too big to play wide receiver?
Speaker 12: You know that photo came out of him, you know, flexing on everybody. He went out there, did the gauntlet drill, did it perfectly, was so smooth.
Speaker 6: He went out there and did a great job in the route running.
Speaker 12: But the thing that set out to me the most, and I think everyone will agree on this, is the moment after the combine on the sideline, when they had him miked up. He called his mom and he said, we did it right, And he calls it. I watched it about ten times last night. It's so emotional. But he tells her we did it, and she responds back to him and says, I know you would because I'm not worried about what everyone else is saying. I knew what we knew, and that was that you were going to go out there and do it. And then he goes, mom, I'm going to cry, and then he cries. And it was so relatable. And you use the word yesterday you said it humanizes players. When we watched those micd up situations, it was so relatable because it wasn't just a football player thing that you could watch. It was someone who who's a parent. At your job, when you put all that hard work in and all that effort and then it pays off that emotional release that you have.
Speaker 6: It was just such a great moment.
Speaker 12: I'm glad they captured that and that'll be NFL Combine history forever.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, a lot of these events are very memorable and it's what we always expect out of the NFL Combine.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: Naturally, the league is always looking for new and innovative ways to promote their events that they host. Peter, So, is there another combine drill that you would like to see implemented into this weekend? And whether it be serious, silly, or maybe character defining, what would you want to see added to the weekend in Indianapolis.
Speaker 8: I think we've done it all as far as physical skills have been explored. I think we've done flipped every term. I'm looking for the mentals and I'm alost looking for the heart and the passion.
Speaker 2: What do I mean? Do you love football? Do you love football?
Speaker 8: Do you love it so much that you in your free time think about football?
Speaker 2: Do you play Madden when you're off theg or are you doing something different? Are you thinking football? I want to know who knows the game, who loves the game, and it's close to our show. I'm out NFL trivia. Do you know they brought this out at the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 8: By the way, the Manning brothers had this on that Thursday night when they were doing the quarterback DROs, they were like asking trivia questions.
Speaker 2: And I really liked it.
Speaker 8: I liked knowing which players knew which teammates of theirs, and where they went to school. NFL trivia Like some of the most endearing stuff is when you hear a young college kid say the player that I looked up to or that I wanted to be when I was a kid was Jerry Rice.
Speaker 2: Why is that interesting?
Speaker 8: Because there's no way that they grew up watching Jerry Rice.
Speaker 2: They're too young for that. That means they went back to NFL films. They went back to hearing old things.
Speaker 8: I love the fact that some of these players truly love ball.
Speaker 2: And if you don't love ball and you don't love trivia, we could work on that. That's fine. If you run a fast forty, that's cool.
Speaker 8: But if you have the total package and you can do both, well, then that's the pick for me.
Speaker 4: Trigger I love it.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, that's great, You're done with meeting with your thirty second team. Now you'll go into this room and this is Peter Schrager and he will be hosting it.
Speaker 4: Be a second on camera, and your results will be sent to all thirty two. Congratulations and good luck.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 8: I want to know when the Browns, when the Browns drafted Cody Kessler in the third round of the NFL Draft, who are the other two quarterbacks ahead of him on the depth chart. It's Robert Griffin the third, and it's Josh mccownt I want you to know that.
Speaker 2: I want you to know that.
Speaker 11: Okay, hold on, I don't know if you know the type of anxiety, the level of anxiety that I get before Thursday's it is more than probably when they go to meet at their train station with these guys.
Speaker 6: So Shreks, I am.
Speaker 10: I'm in on it, Shregs, I love it. I love it to the combine.
Speaker 4: That's why he's in on it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I'm what Shregs were. I want something to reveal. I want I want to drill that can reveal a lot of things to me. And I think the thing that reveals the most in this type of situation is a competitive period, like a one on one period.
Speaker 10: These guys go in groups.
Speaker 11: If we could get them, the wide receivers and the dbast together just for a just for a moment, just to do one on ones because for me, one on ones reveal of things. Number One, it reveals your technique. How do you utilize technique? And it is on full display when you're one on one with somebody. Number two, what's your competitive greatness? Like how well do you get Do you rise to the occasion, do you step up to the line or you kind of power back and shy away from the competitiveness? Number three, just how well do you respond to adversity because you're gonna get beat You are like a DBI is gonna get moss, he's going to get jooped out. Receiver is gonna get hemmed up. A linebacker is going to get beat by a running back. But how do you respond to that adversity? And if I am a GM, those are the types of qualities, those are the types of traits that I want to see in a future pick of mind.
Speaker 10: So I would love to see more competitive peers.
Speaker 6: I'm going to go with a QB throwback or a double pass. Let me explain.
Speaker 12: Now, we had a lot of time, we got a lot of topics on this episode.
Speaker 6: This one stumped me the most.
Speaker 12: When we were talking about okay, why well Wednesday, maybe throw around some ideas.
Speaker 6: So what I mean by that is.
Speaker 12: We're gonna go have the quarterbacks after the drills are done, right, you throw on the run, you do the scramble drill, you throw the routes on area.
Speaker 6: There's nothing else you can really do on the field.
Speaker 12: You do all the board work inside before What I want to see is is the quarterbacks come out, pitch it to the running back. Let's do a reverse keet your butt down the sideline and let's see if.
Speaker 6: You can catch an over shoulder pad. Right.
Speaker 12: Let's see who's athletic and who's not. And I'll even double down in it. Bring the receivers over and let's see who can throw right, because you'll never know if you're in the Super Bowl and you walk over and run a run Philly special.
Speaker 6: You may need that right going down there and scoring a touchdown.
Speaker 12: You may also need to be Jared Goff and I'm gonna our Saint Brown drops an absolute dime in the bucket down the sideline. And also you can go out there and brag a little bit. Quarterbacks like to say that we have the best hands on the field. I truly believe that. I will always live by that. But I think that would be awesome if the quarterbacks to be out there after they're done throwing and do all that. Now, if they ever do do that and the quarterbacks get hurt, huh, don't put it on me. I don't want I don't want them to say Kesler came up with this idea, But I think it'd be pretty cool to see, you know what quarterbacks can do the Philly Special or the throwback to goth in the en zone, and see if they ever can use it in the games.
Speaker 13: I like it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to put hands grade in the combine research with these quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Now, really good idea, Cody all Right.
Speaker 3: Yesterday on GMFP overtime, we talked to Will you know Will Packer because of the films that he has produced. He's had his hand in Straight Out of Compton Girls Trip and personally, yesterday I asked him if it was possible to make a sequel to one of my favorite movies, one that I watch every time it's on TV. It's called Obsessed. Take a listen can there be an obsess to Jamie?
Speaker 2: Ali lard dies at the end, what are we going to do?
Speaker 3: I feel like her eyes fluttered at the end.
Speaker 11: Of I don't know, I'm feeling maybe I kind of like it Obsessed to y'all heard.
Speaker 2: To hear from it?
Speaker 3: I would help with the pop up two at random theaters to make sure that thing goes to thirty million.
Speaker 4: I like you, okay, all right, if you haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Obsess, it's Beyonce, it's Indriselba, it's Ali Larterer, and it's tremendous. So playing off that there must be a movie out there that you have seen, Peter a thousand times, and then you say, you know what, I demand.
Speaker 4: A sequel to this film, Peter? What is that movie?
Speaker 2: Come on? What are we doing? What are we talking about?
Speaker 14: This?
Speaker 2: Is it right here? Draft day two? What happens to all that? What happens to Sunny Weaver? I mean, it's one of the most aggressive draft I've ever seen. Is he working the next April? Do we even know?
Speaker 8: Obviously we have so many different storylines. Does he stay with Jennifer Garner's character or is that like just like a flash in the pan over Draft weekend that like, I think we love each other.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Can I marry the owner's daughter? I don't know.
Speaker 8: You go through it all, and there's so many different stories, and there's the players themselves. I want to see how it all turned out. And then ten years later they're all on different teams. One of them is demanding a new contract. The coach Dennis Leary's he's now an offensive coordinator in the XFL. Like, we go a lot of different ways here, but I want.
Speaker 2: To see Draft day two.
Speaker 8: I want to catch up with those characters, and I want to do.
Speaker 2: It all over again.
Speaker 4: Hostner's everywhere right now too.
Speaker 10: I think that plays in true Strigger fashion. I love it.
Speaker 11: Shrigs me a Night's tale it is. You talk about watching a movie a thousand times. I could watch this movie a thousand times and a thousand times more. Now I don't know if we could make a sequel because we don't keep that legendary Heath ledgerd isn't with us anymore. But this was my all time one of my favorite movies. Alert Bong Liechtenstein. Heath Ledger plays this guy. His name is William Thatcher. He's born in very very humble beginnings, he kind of plays as a knight named Alrich von Lichten signed from Gelderland. But then he works this way up and does a lot of things in his life where they find out that he has some royalty and at the end of the day he performs as hisself as William Thatcher and I just love this movie, so I'm not sure if we could do a sequel, but this is one of my all time favorite movies.
Speaker 3: I think there's always a way that these people could have kids, and then the sequel can be about them.
Speaker 4: You can always be done Manti like Keith Ledgers ago.
Speaker 6: What a great pull too by Mantia.
Speaker 12: I'm saying with the Will Packer okay side of things, and what a great interview yesterday. By the way, it got me inspired. I thought we were I forgot we were on TV. Yeah, and I was sitting here with a motivational speaker. But what a great guy to be around. I'm going with straight out of Compton too.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 12: Will Packer was an executive producer on that movie. And fun fact, we actually went and saw that movie as a team when I was at USC in twenty fifteen. One of those team bonding, get out of the locker room, go out and do it together. I think it would be so cool if you continued to follow the history of.
Speaker 6: Music on the West Coast.
Speaker 12: Right, And there's a little litle bit of a cameo from Snoop Dogg, an actor that played Snoop Dogg with Tupac also in that movie. How cool would it be to follow them and how they continued to be a big staple in West Coast music. And then also, I don't want to spill the movie, one of the actors in the movie or one of the characters in the movie, something sad happens at the end, but then ice Cube and Doctor Dre continue to go on. It'd be cool to kind of follow them a little bit and see what happened. So I wouldn't mind a straight out of Compton too, and maybe a spin off off of that.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, the sequel to the movie I'm sure the Bills want is can Josh Allen be MVP for a second time again. Sean McDermott is getting ready to sit down with Peter Schreger at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. He's the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. What does he think about his team, his quarterback and how they can improve within the AFC, because as we know from Josh Allen all too well that MVP was just.
Speaker 4: Not enough for the quarterback.
Speaker 3: We have their head coach next on GMFB with Peter Schreeger Shrikes Take it Away.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football. Welcome back to GMFB.
Speaker 8: We're live here in Indianapolis, and we're here with one of the top coaches in the NFL, the Buffalo Bill's head coach, mister Sean McDermott.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 13: It's great to be here, great to be here.
Speaker 15: I love I feel like I'm an assistant on the studio on the team. Right.
Speaker 2: This is no joke.
Speaker 8: I feel like Martin Short you always go on with like David Letterman, and it was like the America's Guests.
Speaker 2: You're a Good Morning Football's guest. You love having you on.
Speaker 8: You're always great and you are part of the family. And it's another off season. Now we turn the page again, but can't help but look back on last year and just if you could take a moment to talk about what this team accomplished.
Speaker 2: Maybe what's your quarterback accomplished? Along the way as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, great season. We can't forget the type of year we had. Really.
Speaker 15: I mean, everyone wants to win the last game of the year, and we'll get there at some point, but you know, between now and then, the journey has been incredible, the amount of success we've been able to sustain. Josh Allen winning MVP. Super proud of him his accomplishment. That's a once in a lifetime deal. So just super proud of him and happy for him.
Speaker 8: We were watching a best of like miked up yesterday on Good Morning Football, and there's this awesome jovial scene in the locker room where Josh Allen's like.
Speaker 2: All right, Monday's off.
Speaker 8: Coaches, you got to come in, but the players were and I'm like, we forget everyone thinks about the end of the season, but it's like, what amazing moments of elation you guys had, and all these teams It's only gonna be one team that husts Lombardi at the end. But like, we can't take away from the amazing year that all your players and your coachings have had.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I appreciate you saying that and acknowledging that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's the journey, right, I mean, you want to be happy at your job, you want to have fun at your job. I think we do a great job of balancing balancing that and all the while trying to win games and bring a World championship to Buffalo.
Speaker 8: And then you go to the Super Bowl week and the Chiefs are playing the Eagles, and this could be a sour moment, but then you guys had this awesome moment on Thursday night where he is crowned VP, and I thought it was pretty cool you actually flew in and attended as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 15: You know, we felt like, you know, he was going to be the MVP. We wanted to be there to support him naturally, and knowing that he was going to have a lot of support down there as well. But even if he just if he knew we were there right with our hand on his back, and just so proud of him. Like I said, he's worked so hard to get to where he's at, so many questions about him, about his ability coming out of Wyoming, and just again can't be more proud of him and what he's meant to our team but also our community.
Speaker 2: And last year, a lot of the storylines in training camp when we were talking.
Speaker 8: To guys, was like, how are you gonna do it without this guy? People step up, people step up, and a lot of players did step up. One of my favorite players of the year is wild Card Round Josh running around on a fourth and one.
Speaker 2: And hits Ty Johnson in the back of the end zone and it's like a the courage to call that play, be to execute it, and.
Speaker 8: Then see it's Ty Johnson making the catch, this third down running back who of course makes this huge play. You have to be so proud of the way that everyone stepped up despite some departures from the roster.
Speaker 15: Well, we had that, and you're always going to have that. You're always going to have guys graduate, so to speak. And you know, by Josh and his leadership, others stepped up right. And it's never about one person or one player or one coach.
Speaker 13: It's really about the team.
Speaker 15: And with Josh's leadership and the way he led our team this year, it just brought everybody else's level of play and performance.
Speaker 10: Though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and yesterday we got some news who was reported that Khalil Shakir got a new deal. That's a player that had an outstanding season less you're the Boise State product. If you want to talk about a little bit what he brought, knowing the departures at the wide receiver position last season.
Speaker 15: Well, when you talk about Khalil, you talk about consistency, dependability, availability. Sometimes there's players that fly under the radar, right, and he's one of them, and so we reward guys that work hard, guys that earn the right and then he's very consistent and what a team guy. So I just can't be more grateful of him and his family, and you know, the results have been on the field, but his impact off the field has been immeasurable.
Speaker 8: For you got all these different free agents this year. We can go through the list. That's not what the point of this segment is. I do want to ask about James Cook, Jimbo who had an outstanding breakout season, incredible running back, big piece of this. Anytime you got a free agent of that type of caliber, and we're here at the COMBA, which kind of like the first step, how do you proceed in? What's the conversations and do you ever consider reaching out to the player himself as a head coach?
Speaker 15: Well, I do, I try and stay in touch with the players, especially the ones that are in these situations. And unfortunately, this is a business, right, we try and be as transformational and caring for the players as we can. And even though it's a business, there's times then that the business does show up the business part of the business, and sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out. But to your point, communication is important.
Speaker 8: I think about this build seam. You guys have had so many amazing seasons. He came up just short this year, but there are signs that this will happen.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 8: I also think back in the nineties Marv Levy and like the Sir Andrews speech that he gave that one year after.
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: What is the message now as we turn the page yet again and it's like, hey, gentlemen, we got to get back up off the mat and we've got to fight again.
Speaker 15: Well, I think again, you want to keep things in perspective, right, we're all shooting for that.
Speaker 13: We work extremely hard.
Speaker 15: This is not a hobby, it's a job and it's a profession and we spend a lot of time trying to become the best in the world at something and so it doesn't come easy.
Speaker 13: But we respect that process.
Speaker 15: And through all the journey and adversity that you go through, I think you develop character, and within that you discover or continue to discover or rediscover even your purpose.
Speaker 13: And that's why we're in Buffalo.
Speaker 15: We've got the best fans in the NFL, and we're there to win a world championship, but we're also there to bring hope and purpose.
Speaker 13: To a community.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I thought one of the cool moments of the season, you guys play the shootout against the Rams and you come up just sure, but then Detroit is it and you guys take care of business on the road and show like, hey, we can do that. This seam has gotten better and better and better. What would you like to see from this group of men next season that maybe we can fine tune and maybe do something a little differently to even get even better the following year.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, every year is different.
Speaker 15: Uh, You've got to start over every season, shregs, and you know that. I think the biggest thing right now for us is to get healthy where we need to get healthy, have a great offseason, and then start anew with a new team that we're gonna put together this offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of.
Speaker 8: The plays that we loved on NFL Network was Josh Allen throws it to a Marii Cooper mark.
Speaker 2: And throws a little pick.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I ever got your your statement, like, obviously that's all improminent.
Speaker 13: Well, no, that I called it. I mean, Joe Brady gets a heck of a lot of credit, and I calved that play.
Speaker 2: They're rare that I'm gonna chime in, it's a guy do that play.
Speaker 15: We didn't know My brother and I did that in the backyard, you know, years ago and snow playing snow football.
Speaker 13: Right, Hey, I'm gonna catch it. I'm gonna pitch it back to me.
Speaker 2: Let me do it.
Speaker 8: But your reaction in real time, just think it's through, like you see something like that, like this is that guy's a free cut even But also it worked you.
Speaker 15: No, I'm like I was probably like every fan in the stadium and every fan at home going oh yeah yeah, and then it does.
Speaker 13: I'm like with Josh, doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 2: That works. You and Andy have this great relationship.
Speaker 8: Obviously, Andy Reid, you guys were on the same staff and now you're going up and down playing against each other all these years. The regular season, all the years in the postseason, andy falls short of the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Do you give Andy a text? Do you give Andy a call.
Speaker 8: Knowing he's had all these moments of elation, but he might be feeling pretty down up for the way that thing ended.
Speaker 13: Well, yes and no.
Speaker 15: You know, he reached out to me after our game, and I've reached out to him after There's there's been you know, games we've beaten him as well, and so it's a tough business. It's hard to win one game, let alone a super Bowl, and he was on the on the losing end of this one. And but he's won a lot, right, So but you know, my admiration, my respect for Andy Reid runs deep, and I've learned so much from him. Having said that, though our games are extremely competitive for a reason, he wants to beat me and I want to beat him, and I think that's high level competition and good for the game.
Speaker 8: You guys both work together in Philly, which then brings up your job also that you were another hat here. The Competition Committee and the Tush push has been a big topic of conversation. You're in those conversations, you're in those meetings, just give us a maybe even fifteen thirty second summary of what we're looking at as we have these conversations about potentially banning this play that has been so advantageous for the Eagles.
Speaker 13: Well, it's been a good play. Rights, it's been a good play. I can't argue that.
Speaker 15: I think there's just things every year you have to talk about.
Speaker 13: You have to whether it's changed or not, you have to talk about.
Speaker 15: It because it is a unique style of play with unique call it techniques. And again give credit to the Eagles what they've been able to create been very creative and you know, kind of trail blazing in a way around the league a little bit. So it's just something we have to talk about. We'll see where it goes. But we have to give it to Doe.
Speaker 2: At least my last one.
Speaker 8: There was footage of Josh Allen and his new fiance in Italy going around. They were enjoying the Europeans. Do you get the invite like they're going to go do like Milan Fashion Week? Is Sean McDermot getting the text, coach, you want to we got a spot on you know, if you want to sit front row at the fashion show?
Speaker 15: No, yees, no, no, they sent it, but I have a filter, right, and so yeah, I spent most of my off season in Buffalo and the Elements, and we look forward to that.
Speaker 13: I love skiing and being around Buffalo.
Speaker 15: So yeah, no, no clear imitation came through on my phone.
Speaker 13: But we'll see.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 8: I mean, just for the viewers at home, I've been been to Italy, I've been to Buffalo, like Milan has nothing on Buffalo like.
Speaker 2: I just I think everyone would say great, right, you agree, and that's it.
Speaker 15: That's where Bill's I mean, Bill's Mafia is everywhere right there, every course, But to be around Buffalo. You know, sometimes we get the question of hey, where do you go on the off season, Well, we live in Buffalo. Love this, We're members of the community and we love it there. So I think that's the real part of being in Buffalo and being the head coach of the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 8: Sean McDermott, thank you, Big, season ahead, Big, a couple of weeks ahead. Good luck and as always, we appreciate you coming on the show.
Speaker 13: I love being with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 3: Tune in you know that you can listen to your favorite hits in the highest audio quality. Go to Apple Music now and you can get six months for ninety nine terms ofply. Of course Apple Music and the owners of the Halftime Show, they have great artists and since you are not only listening to the GMP podcast, you could also listen to great music from the NEXTX Month fifteen ninety nine. Here we go this Black History Month, Detroit Lyons defensive end Al Kudine Muhammad and their Safety in the Backfield Kirby Joseph Cheraw. McKinley Thompson Junior became the first African American designer to work at the Ford Motor Company and how he helped create the iconic Ford Bronco and Ford Musting.
Speaker 6: This is Black History Monked.
Speaker 16: The NFL honors the resilience and contributions of Black American labors whose hard work and determinations have shaped our nation's history and progress. In the early twentieth century, moons of African Americans moved from the South to northern, Western and Midwestern cities and what's known as a Great Migration.
Speaker 14: The problems of well paying jobs in the automotive industry made Detroit a popular destination.
Speaker 16: McKinlay Thompson Junior, was the first African American designer hired at Ford Motor Company in nineteen.
Speaker 14: He helping the first generation Bronco as well as the Mustang, two cars you can still see on the road today.
Speaker 16: Thompson worked for the company for nearly thirty years, paving the way for thousands of others.
Speaker 14: We salute you, McKinley Thompson Junior.
Speaker 3: The New York Giants currently hold the third overall pick in the draft and they are in need of quarterback. They currently only have Tommy DeVito on their roster, so their general manager, Joe Shane spoke to reporters on Monday at the Combine in Indianapolis, and he talked about the team's plans to bolster their quarterback room.
Speaker 17: You know, yeah, we don't know what's going to happen in the draft. We don't know who's going to be there. You know, when we get around these kids, they may or may not be a fit for us. So you know, we're gonna have to dress the position somewhere. And even if you get a young quarterback, you'd like to have a vet, you know, in the room with them to show them the ropes and how to be a pro. So, you know, we're looking at all different avenues.
Speaker 6: It's, hey, is this.
Speaker 17: Guy going to be really good for a young quarterback or is this guy at starter? Can we get a guy in the draft or if we do, should we have a guy that's more of a guy that can develop and show a guy how to be a pro. So, you know we're going to look at you know, vets, We're gonna look at the draft, We're gonna look at trade candidates. You know, we're gonna look at under every rock to you know, find the best prospect for us going in the twenty five season.
Speaker 4: Peter.
Speaker 3: After Joe Shane was first asked about Saquon Barkley yet again, then he's asked about the quarterback and this team, Joe Shane having to answer everything as it pertains to the Giants. Your thoughts on his take on what the Giants to do with the quarterback position.
Speaker 8: Well, remember he didn't draft Daniel Jones as a Dave gettleman pick.
Speaker 2: He re signed Daniel Jones for those two years.
Speaker 8: So it's still in this freshman like, I haven't had my quarterback yet.
Speaker 2: I haven't had my quarterback yet.
Speaker 8: The third overall pick, we know he can get at least one of the top two quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: We don't expect quarterbacks to go.
Speaker 8: One and two with either obdual Carter or Travis Hunter being in there. So cam Ward or Shador Sanders. I would imagine not only every rock being lifted, but every question you can imagine and every single piece of dialogue they can have with those two players to see if they are worthy of the third overall pick. But I wouldn't leave out the other option, which is a veteran quarter back, if those two guys don't blow them away. I look at Matthew Stafford, I look at Kirk Cousins, I look at Derek Carr, I look at Aaron Rodgers. There are a lot of names that might be available in Sam Darnold as a big swing maybe as well. So they're looking at everything, and I certainly don't know what they are doing at this moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're entering conspiracy theory.
Speaker 3: Theory territory, Peter, when it comes to matt Stafford and different people that are in Stafford's life and where.
Speaker 4: They are hired.
Speaker 3: We will continue to talk to the Giants and thirty one other picks in the NFL Draft ahead of the combine.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back on GMFB. Great first hour, everybody. It's a Wednesday, I say to dam