Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely ready for a break?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 2: It's time for The Break on.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were on with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Thursday, November second, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number sixty two.
Speaker 3: Sure about that.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break, live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We appreciate you guys joining us. We're gonna start today's show first by giving a really, really hearty congratulations to the hometown Texas Rangers. How about that World Series Championship when last night they wrapped that thing up and huge Rangers over there, huge as we said this morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, well for now, yeah.
Speaker 7: Today, I'm wearing there because of because of But yes, I've always been a Ranger saw Okay, Dominican, lots of Dominica. I've met a lot of Ranger players, people that don't even play anymore. But it's when you meet a Dominican hearing the DFW area. That's very rare. It's not common. So yeah, you tend to connect with your people, you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 7: So yeah, go Rangers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're all excided.
Speaker 2: Brian.
Speaker 6: You've been doing radio since like what three o'clock this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was on from three to four thirty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, went to sleep for a couple hours, got up and start typing some Eagles notes.
Speaker 3: So I was I got to the.
Speaker 8: Point where I was superstitious where when I was actually watching the games, they were losing, and they lost the one that one, and I'm like, okay, but I was all the games throughout the playoffs, I would listen. So last night was watch Eagles defense, listen.
Speaker 3: To the game.
Speaker 8: And so that was a that's the old krusty way of doing things, listening to a baseball game. But I pulled it off. So yeah, and got a parade tomorrow, so looking forward.
Speaker 3: To that too.
Speaker 6: You're born and raised here in Dallas, so I signed. Yeah, it's just I mean again, I've only been in Dallas. I moved to Dallas in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been.
Speaker 6: Here for a long time. I know, stop. I've been here for a long time, but it's just I assume when you've been born and raised here, it's nothing like seeing a champion in your city.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I my first game that I went to was in nineteen seventy two. That's how long ago that was. I was born and so yeah, thanks, Wow.
Speaker 6: The only person I can act exactly the rest of you guys, y'all do that to me, so I could do it to Brunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So, but yeah, I remember going to games at the old Arlington Stadium. And what's really funny is that there's a lot of Ranger baseball fans that where the scars of ten, twenty eleven of not having success. And I said it on the radio yesterday that I don't wear those scars because there was a side of me that was so involved with what we were doing here with football, you know, and my life has been really since nine years old, has been football.
Speaker 3: And so funny when.
Speaker 8: You're you know, you're a fan of I was going to games as a kid, and then you go away and then you go start your profession and you're like, eh, you know, but the Rangers haven't been good for a long time. That's the thing about it is you lose. But I got so involved in football and teams I was with and all that I just didn't have the time to really invest in.
Speaker 3: But now being on the radio.
Speaker 8: And having to talk about it every day, you don't want to sound like an idiot, so you invest that way. And so it's it's nice to see they've done a great job. The guy that's been Chris Young, who's the general manager, is a DFW guy.
Speaker 3: He's a Highland Park guy. So though it's got to.
Speaker 8: Be super special, the only thing I can equate it too is coming to work at the Cowboys in nineteen ninety nine and being from Dallas and imagining trying to win a championship for the Cowboys with a team that I spent twenty years of following, as you know, as a teenager and then into an adult. So, you know, really happy for Chris, the fact that he's from here. He every time we've ever interviewed him, he's been like, I just want this for the fans. I just want this for the fans. And you know, he those we all know this. We all invest in this. I mean, your your life, seven days a week, you invest in this, and and congratulations of them the investment actually paid off.
Speaker 10: I mean they one hundred deserve it, and that's that's saying the least. And like you, I'm a transplant to Dallas and I got here about five years ago, transplant from Georgia. For everyone that might not know, hints you don't follow him, Yeah, I don't know how.
Speaker 8: He will show up in your ballyard with a Braves uniform. I mean I saw that with my own crowd.
Speaker 6: Georgia got it.
Speaker 10: But I'm a baseball guy and I just love live baseball and I'm a former baseball player and just to feel the energy the air. So, you know, being here in Dallas not being able to see my Braves live often, what do you do? You go to Rangers games, so you know effective you know, four or five years ago, I started going to Rangers games. Like Brian said, he seen me walking through a globe life both parts.
Speaker 2: The older park end the new park.
Speaker 10: And having seen, you know, the struggles that those guys had on those on the field as far as trying to generate wins and seeing what the fandom went through when those hard times and hard times, and then seeing them flip and then that switch flip and them being able to do the rebuild similar not entirely dissimilar from how my Braves did it when the Braves were going through some rough times. And then in twenty one, twenty twenty one, we get Alex Anthropolis. He comes in, he gets aggressive, he makes the moves, the same way that Chris Young made the moves. So to see the Rangers fans being able to just get the demons off of their back and then it just celebrate this. That's why I said last night on Twitter, drink this, d like, try to absorb as much of this as possible, because there's just nothing like being a world champion, especially when you do it by overcoming the adversity they had to do it with Dallas goals out, what happens, Marcus steps up and he heats up.
Speaker 2: Corey was just Corey. You have role players.
Speaker 10: Jankowski step in what Eavaldi did last night, getting himself in jams and then hoodnian himself out of Jamesrazy. They would getting no hit through almost seven innings, but they never said die. So Rangers fans, cheers to you, hats off to you. Enjoy this and just know that next year we're trying to take that belt off you.
Speaker 8: I will say this though too real quick. You know, people say that they bought a championship.
Speaker 2: No, no, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: No, I you know what they did, to be honest with you as a fan, bring it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, The ownership spent over five hundred million dollars on players. I'm like, I don't care.
Speaker 3: You know you do it. I don't care.
Speaker 8: I don't don't tell me about it, you know, just all I care about is when the hand you the trophy. I don't care how much your who spends the money or where the money. I just you know, if you're if that's if it's about developing players, sure, but if it's about going out and buying the best players too, I'm all from that also.
Speaker 2: I just and you're not wrong.
Speaker 10: What bothers me about that is when the narrative is inaccurate, because when you look at the net spending for the Rangers, it's only three three and a half million more than the same Astros team.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I have no problem.
Speaker 10: Then it's yeah, people that always in Keys Dodgers, Okay, that's a true story. But for this Rangers team, it's not again, it's the the arc of it is similar to what the Braves did in twenty one. The Braves didn't outspend everyone. It's about positions, right. The Braves do a great job whole positions. And then the skipper, the skipper Bouchie getting Bochie off of the recliner to come in and just do what.
Speaker 3: He spend money on that one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there you go. They did it all the right way.
Speaker 10: And yes they spent money, they were aggressive, but they didn't buy it.
Speaker 2: They earned it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll tell you this. The fact of the matter is that that this is this moment, This is what being a fan really is all about.
Speaker 11: It.
Speaker 6: You do go through those rough years, and that's the thing, Like it makes those rough years all the more sweeter when you can get to this moment. And so that's part of fandom. Fan Nick Nick and I used to always say, you don't choose to.
Speaker 2: Be a fan.
Speaker 6: Fandom chooses you, like you get your team, and then getting your team means that sometimes you're gonna have to go through those really really rough times and those drafts can last a very long time. Talk to Cubs fans like it happened. You can last, it can last a very long time. But when you get that moment, you get that moment when you're at the top, it is so worth it and so sweet and you just kind of keep going through it.
Speaker 7: You know, it was like a week ago, I would constantly hear people Rangers suck.
Speaker 6: Oh we're terrible, all we suck.
Speaker 7: And these are people that are fans, obviously their own fans. So to see just how everything just quickly change. And I say quickly in quotation because you talk about all those years. But it's it's fun and I will wish, I freaking wish I could go to the parade.
Speaker 3: I can't you want to go for me?
Speaker 7: Child want to watch?
Speaker 6: Well, there will be children a parade.
Speaker 9: It's a parade.
Speaker 6: A kid loves parade.
Speaker 7: I think en of me and by myself surviving being in a crowd of people. I don't want.
Speaker 3: To take care of a kid. That makes it a.
Speaker 7: Freaking which. But just like that, you never know when the cowboys can flip that switch.
Speaker 10: To maybe Derek and I were talking about this, maybe happened before that in a city, and that energy starts kind of just permeating throughout the city and it's just something.
Speaker 2: In the water.
Speaker 10: We say, ranger ranges went it. All Stars of Contenders. Cowboys are continued, Maps are playing well right now, there you go.
Speaker 7: You my size, my ring size?
Speaker 3: Oh oh you know what you know?
Speaker 2: You know you bring it in.
Speaker 3: You know about rings. It's so funny, real quick story.
Speaker 8: The ladies in Green Bay they had ladies rings for the championship, and the lady said, hell no, we want.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, the ladies ladies raised.
Speaker 8: The ladies raised such a stink that my boss goes, Okay, well let's yeah, they want big rings.
Speaker 3: Let's go. So the ladies all they didn't want the lady style ring. They wanted the big ring.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you gotta do it, if you gotta do it, do it, you know. All right, let's get back to Cowboys. Let's let's talk about the injury report. Uh, Patrick, give me an update on where we are the four guys, particularly, I wanted to get an update on Tyron Smith, Tuma Edoga, Michael Gallup and jay Ron Curse.
Speaker 10: All right, so too many Dooga was limited yesterday in practice, which is definitely promising.
Speaker 2: Again, he's dealing with.
Speaker 10: What is described as a low ankle spring much much better as far as working through it than a high ankle spring. So he looks very good for going Barney. He setbacks this week. He looks good to go against Philadelphia Tyron Smith. It was expected that he'd be with the rehab group on Wednesday, and he was DNP didn't opportun some pay earlier in the week. McCarthy said that he tried to ramp up Tyron Smith on today Thursday. So today's injury report is key as far as Tyron Smith's progress is concerned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would keep an eye on that one.
Speaker 8: It sounds like to me they're going to keep him off the practice field today because they're worried that they don't want to get the They dodn't want to bang him up, right, they don't want somebody like all Suddeny's practicing and then there's a hit and then so I would anticipate he is not going to practice today. It's always like we've talked about get into Saturday, probably even get him to Sunday if they have to, but today is probably not going to be a practice.
Speaker 10: That is one hundred percent the vibe I'm getting the Cowboys don't want him to take on any unnecessary contact this week, so they'll have.
Speaker 2: Him go through walkthroughs.
Speaker 10: But as far as getting down there and lining up against guys go full speeding practice for as much as they can, probably not going to happen.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 10: There was a lot of rest yesterday Wednesday, is you know, now become the Cowboys veteran rest day Cooks rested, Stefan Gilmore, rest, Jonathan Hankins, rest of Marcus Lawrence rest with Lewis and Zach mar And both rested as well. Jay Ron Curse popped up with a toe injury. Spoke with him yesterday. Now, the injury report came out after locker room access, but in speaking with jay Ron before, I was actually surprised this showed up because the way he was talking, he's playing. I mean, I don't get any indication from him whatsoever that he's concerned about it, that it's going to bother him. Asked him about covering Dallas. Goddard just has a strategic question and he was like, you know, I'm not in the mood to talk. I'm ready to go out there and get it on. That's not what you hear from a guy who's worried about availability for this coming week. So keep an eye on Jaron Curse. We'll see if the Cowboys let him do anything today in practice. But it sounds like he's going to go.
Speaker 7: I have a question in case something crazy, and it could very well happen. But let's say Tyron and Tuma are no go or they do start the game and then they come out and come off, would you guys stick with richers or would you do some shuffling of like moving people.
Speaker 8: Man, this is the times that I wish I lived in the building still because I could figure out who was going to if if in fact that maybe Tyler Smith is practicing a little bit, are they maybe of the eight reps, is he getting two reps playing tackle? I don't think they want to move him.
Speaker 3: I think they would.
Speaker 8: I think it's going to be awesome. Richards would be that would be to answer your question. Would I don't think that they would They would put Tyler Smith outside? But if you knew that he was taking two of the eight reps matt tackle, maybe you would think. Okay, it's the thought that they have. But if it's all reps at guard I don't. I don't think they would move him.
Speaker 6: I really don't, you know, I'm starting to get the impression, and I could be totally off, but just you know, just random conversations with people around the building, I'm starting to get the impression that I don't know that they would necessarily remove Tyler Smith at whatever point Tyron Smith is no longer here. I'm starting to get the impression I think they may even they may be looking at it and being like, this guy may be one of the best guards in the NFL right now. And if he's one of the best guards in the NFL, it's a Larry Allen type situation, right do you move him to tackle to see if he can become the best tackle or one of the best tackles in the NFL? Or do you keep him at god guard where he's already one of the best guards in the NFL. And I think it's a it's an interesting question, and it's an off season question.
Speaker 7: It's more important to you.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I would say this. I think it's very clear left tackle is probably the most important position on the offensive line. However, I will also say, if you tell me, I can have a pretty good tackle versus having a great guard. I'm gonna take the great guard and keep throwing, throwing, throwing the dice at tackle and see what I can come up with, See if Austin Richards can develop into a tackle for the future.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: I just think you may it may be a situation where you can't say the same thing about Zach Martin. Zach Martin probably if they would have moved in the tackle would probably be a really good tackle in the NFL. Would he have been as great as he's been A guard who knows he never had that opportunity. So it's it's I would rather take the guy that I know is going to be great than a guy pretty good or even pretty or even very good at a position at a different position.
Speaker 10: I don't think you're wrong in the thought process that's probably happening in the coaching staff and upstairs with the front office as it relates to Tyler Smith, Because when you look at even recently this past Tuesday, when Jerry was asked about the possibility of tumor and Tyer not playing, does that mean Tyler pop out? You could have thought that he had analogy like he's allergic to that thought he was like, oh oh, before we go in talking about all that, So that's the vibe. But then also you go and you know, you use a fifth round pick. I believe when.
Speaker 2: Austin Richards Asstin Richards could be that guy.
Speaker 10: And you make an excellent point because flip it to the right side of that offensive line, right you have Zach Martin. Until your point, maybe Zach Martin is a very good right tackle for the entirety of his career, but he's a Hall of Fame guard.
Speaker 2: That's why would you have at right tackle.
Speaker 10: You try Lyle Collins there, and then you put Terrence Steele there who came in as an undrafted guy and he turns out. So the importance, I'll answer your question, My more important is is protecting that blind side. But when you look at the totality of the offensive line, the interior needs to be the strongest of that offensive line on any team, because we talk about it weekend, week out. If you can disrupt the pocket from the interior, then as a defense, you've already won that belt.
Speaker 6: And don't forget the division you play in. Yeah, the strength is the interior of those defensive lines. You're gonna be playing, so you could make the argument in this division it may be just as important to have really great guards as it is to have tackles. Yeah, absolutely right, all right, we're gonna go ahead and take our first rek. When we come back, we're gonna jump into the Dallas offense versus the Philadelphia defense. We'll be back Dallas. Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G faster secure. It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in their area. Se Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, After that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 10: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy, cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on.
Speaker 2: His Bank of America Mobile Banking.
Speaker 12: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 10: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 3: Erika is only available in the English language.
Speaker 12: You mut download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 6: Message in doat ategey apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 6: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 4: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the.
Speaker 5: Soldier to cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: Get a frame worthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star presented by monument Reality. We've Got Santa Claus will be at his cowboy themed cottage in the Star District from November eighteenth through December twenty fourth. Book your visit before December first and say five dollars with the code Stars five. Visit the Star District dot com slash Santa for more infos.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of The Break Life from the s w VC Mortgage Studios. Never a Star photo last year.
Speaker 7: No remember when Dave was still here and we talked about them for like a long time, and we still never went and walked a few steps over there.
Speaker 3: To take it.
Speaker 6: I blame you. You were the whole up.
Speaker 8: Probably photos you guys took at the holiday party we used to have a Probably.
Speaker 6: I missed the holiday party.
Speaker 3: I missed the holiday party at Texas Stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: That four before we got so big.
Speaker 10: Yeah, was very like what happens in Vegas stays and it was a good time.
Speaker 6: We'll just say it was a good time.
Speaker 2: Was it was a mess, It was a good time.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 6: Let's talk Cowboys offense in a good way? Yes, versus Eagles defense? Brian, what do you have?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think that when you look at this Eagle defense, the strength of it is their defensive line, and it's gonna come down to a couple of different things you really have to be worried about. I think when you start to talk about their edges, Hassan Reddick and then Josh Sweat, I think of the two that that factor into a lot of what you're going to try and do here. Maybe protection wise, they're good inside with Fletcher Cox, Jordan Davis, and Jalen Carter. Jalen Carter's been a little bit banged up of this uh this, uh, this time. He's got a back injury, and so the reports are that they're gonna, you know, it's gonna give it be a close for him to play. If that's the case, that's a that's a nice break for the Cowboys because as a defensive tackle, he's got three and a half sacks. Fletcher Cox is a little bit long in the tooth.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: You can see teams are starting to move him a little bit when you watch him on tape. It used to be he was really a steady, sturdy guy at the point of attack, but now people are kind of trying to wheel him and then get him off the ball. Davis is a massive guy. Just it's my old saying. Was always a trash can full of dirt. That's that's what Jordan Davis is. He could be a hard guy to move. He's just gonna be a straight ahead passer rusher. So that kind of takes care of the inside guys. But the outside guys I mentioned with Reddick, I mean, this guy is he's primarily going to line up on the on your right side of the offense, the defensive left side of the ball. He's explosive, He's really good with his hands. He's going to break you down pretty quickly. This is going to be an interesting matchup with him and Terrence Steele, and Steele has faced him before, so he.
Speaker 3: Kind of has an idea.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be surprised if it's if there's some help over to that side, some chipping, maybe some line the tight ends over there, create a little make him Reddick play a little bit wider. If you put a man in there, he's got to go a man outside of that. So maybe you just take him off the ball a little bit more, or make him a little wider from the ball, but him and still going to have a battle over there. Sweat's gonna be opposite. He's long, he's rangey. He doesn't have the quickness I don't think of Reddick, but he gets the job done in a different way.
Speaker 3: Tyron Smith.
Speaker 8: I'm penciling Tyron Smith is playing this one, uh and with with that, with that in mind, but he's really all arms and legs. When he comes off as a pass rusher, there's a lot going on with his rush. You'll see him sometimes get caught up on blockers, and that's that's a good thing because he's like he's trying to make a move. Blockers catch him and then it stops his charge where Reddick's a little bit more of a quicker and then is able to kind of escape the thing. That the thing that I would attack of those two with sweat. He's super aggressive, and I mean when you watch teams play and they run the boots or they run the jet sweeps to his side, he is so interested in flying down inside and being that guy go run to chase the ball backside, make the play, make the tackle. I've seen some teams been able to take advantage of that with him. So if the Cowboys are going to to kind of scheme somebody here, maybe it's Reddick, keep him a little wide with the guy over there across or next to him, and then also then take advantage of sweat as much as the boots and the waggles that's coming out the left side there for the Cowboys, and that's a comfortable throw for Dak Prescott. He can make that throw going to his left, So that those are a couple. That's how I look at their defensive line right now.
Speaker 6: Real quick, before you move on to the secondary or the linebackers. One thing I noticed they are second in pressure rate with a four man frust without blitzing at forty point seven. Cowboys the only team that's better right at that Who do you think of those four down linemen, who do you think is the toughest matchup for the Cowboys when you look at who they'll be facing primarily, who's the toughest mass Redick?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's Reddick.
Speaker 8: And because the one thing that steell is is still is a good foot athlete, so still can mirror him. Still has to be careful not to be overly aggressive. They're gonna get with Reddick, You're gonna get a lot of movement, and you have to be patient. That's where still sometimes because there's a little bit of some lack of power in the way he plays. So what he wants to do is he wants to set short and then try and jam a guy so that guy doesn't get going. So with Reddick and all that movement, be patient, be patient, be patient. Let him move all that boy he's doing all that movement stuff, he's not getting to the quarterback. So but I do think that the one I would be the concern the most about is him on that side because I think I think that Tyron Smith on the other side can handle Josh Sweat in this game, I really do.
Speaker 3: I The problem.
Speaker 8: Might be a little bit with Jordan Davis because he lines up as like a head up nose at time, but it's a it's a four to three front, so it's kind of different. Usually you have him where they play in shades, but Jordan Davis, when he lines up like right over the nose, we'll see if be oddish, snap, get the hand up, try and stop a guy, because Davis is just going to try and walk it straight back and strong and he's and he's really really really strong, and you know, and Patrick knows these guys very very well, Carter Davis. These guys are all white players that were you know, on his national championship teams at Georgia and then they're they're they're they're outstanding players. And I think the Eagles they can affect the middle of that pocket. We talk about the push, and maybe that's one of the reasons why again you keep a Tyler Smith there at at guard to handle stuff like this.
Speaker 7: Can you talk a little bit more about the running game and how that may look like.
Speaker 3: They don't let you run the ball.
Speaker 10: Ye, this is not this is not going to be the team to try to get the run game going against They've only allowed three rushing touchdowns three point eight yards per carry out.
Speaker 7: To release out.
Speaker 10: As Brian is going to get to, this is the game where the secondary can be there. You go, this is a past first, and then you say right to run that way. But you're not going to go in there and run down these guys. This is not the day for that.
Speaker 8: The team that's run the ball the best against them has been the Commanders actually the two games that they played, but they've only given up eleven runs of ten plus yards. I mean, they just don't.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: They just don't.
Speaker 3: They just don't allow it.
Speaker 6: To hell, what did the Commanders do? Did they do anything different than all.
Speaker 3: The teams Commanders?
Speaker 8: Commanders are a funny team because what they do is I feel like they got a physical offensive line and sometimes you know you're able to match, you're able to match bodies on bodies. But the Robinson, the backs that they have, guys are a little bit slippery. The kind of the guy they see the hole, they get through the hole. These guys struggle a little bit I think at linebacker, and this is no disrespect to Nikobe Dean, and because he's another I think another really good player, him and Zach Zach Cunningham both or I think that to me though the Commanders took advantage of they were.
Speaker 3: Dean is a shorter guy.
Speaker 8: He's right at six foot tall, and he will gamble on where the ball is going to be stuff. He's a really good downhill player, but he'll gamble a little bit, get caught up on some blocks and you could run the ball out him because of his lack of height. But if you're going to run the ball wide on these guts, no chance Dean's going to run you down from behind. That's just that's how he plays. He's really really good. These guys really aren't good, Patrick mintioned, they're not. The linebackers aren't particularly good in past coverage. That's the thing that you get Dean is when you look at if you look at metrics numbers and stuff. I just wanted to check eleven for eleven and targets and receptions on him, and then Cunningham is twenty five of thirty two. So a little bit of some struggle with coverage on when they're putting those situations, but the secondary here is the one that you really really need to go after and I and just watch it. Their nickel situation is not good right now. And when Maddox is out, Bradley Roby's been dealing with a pecs rain. Yeah, so they've they've struggled to try and find Sydney Brown has been the guy that they're kind of fitting in. Him and Josh Job have come in and played as the nickel. But I'll say this, when you look at when you look at at at, I think that you know Kevin Byron has come in. They made a trade for him at the safety spot, and he's one of those guys that he's been. He's he's a good player. He was great at one time. He's still a good player. He's a plus player when it comes running pass when you watch him play. But James Bradbury is a guy that has had some problems.
Speaker 3: Yes, and and and and and.
Speaker 8: That's and Slay Darius Slay is going to play on the left side, Bradbury is going to play on the right side. And they really don't flop very much. They kind of stay stationary in the way they play. But the commanders lit these guys up, and Bradbury especially, they've they've he's given up five touchdown passes this year. So I would challenge him in every way their nickel, and then challenge Bradbury. I think Slay is more competitive. I think he's more willing to kind of stick his nose in there. Bradbury's a little bit more of a cautious guy, so I would take advantage of him being cautious that one.
Speaker 6: I'll real quickly throw this in as well. I noticed this on our next Gen stats Darius Slay this year, he's allowed more receptions fourteen and more yards two hundred and eight in man coverage in twenty twenty three than all of twenty twenty two, and we're not even halfway through the season. In addition to that, he's allowing three point one yards of separation this year last year one point seven, so almost double the amount of separation he's allowing this year then last year. Slay's still a really good cornerback, don't get me wrong, but there have been some holes in his game this year that's.
Speaker 3: Been last year.
Speaker 8: There's spend holes in this entire secondary, and I think the deodor that helps it from stinking is the.
Speaker 3: Fact that their their pass rush is so good. Yeah, their front's good. Ye, that's the problem. And without blitzing and without.
Speaker 8: Blitzing, yeah, I believe they were like they've had twenty five sacks.
Speaker 3: I think it was seventeen. I saw what they've done without even blitzing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're number one in actual total number of sacks with a four man pressure. Right, But there's pressure percentage, it's it's second behind the Cowboy right.
Speaker 3: So you're going to have to deal with that though.
Speaker 2: And here's the segue.
Speaker 10: Wonderful point because the way they because Slay is allowing more yardage, and because brad Berry is struggling the way he's struggling, what they try to do is protect those guys by doing less man and it's more zone. So here's the good news for Dak Prescott and the Cowboys offense and for Cowboys fans who want to know, again, this is not the team you want to try to run establish a run against.
Speaker 2: But this is zone.
Speaker 10: Coverage sixty six seven percent, sixty seven percent, six sixty seven percent of the time this season they drop back and they give you zone. Dak Prescott has been lethal against zone coverage. Ceed Lamb has been lethal And if you want real life examples of this outside of numbers, the Jets ran zone ceedee lamb lit them up. Rams ran zone ceedee lamb lit them up. The Chargers ran zone Cede Lamb lit them up. Dak Prescott, if you present him with his own defense, then more often than not, he's going to get going. That office is going to start cooking. Only one third of the time they run, man, that's because they're trying to protect Slay. They're trying to protect bad Bradberry. So yes, Slay is still still a big time player. They also like to run a lot of single high coverage as far as their safety is concerned.
Speaker 2: Players are going to be there.
Speaker 10: But wherever Bradberry is, you have to circle him and attack him and make him career.
Speaker 7: Well. I want to know, based on the way they play, does this take away Dak's ability to run? Is this a game where you're just now pulling back on that aspect of his.
Speaker 6: Lia No, I I was just gonna say, I think it depends a little bit on what they do with the linebackers. If they say we respect Dak's ability to run, So much that in those types of downs and those situations, we will have Dean basically I him. Then that could change things because Deans a guy that can run sideline the sidelines. Brian's saying, yeah, So if they want to invest that that person in taking Dac away, they can. But that's also part of the whole strategy is sure, if you want to give any somebody that you're gonna take out of it, and you just took coverage, right, if you're gonna take somebody out of coverage, then great, I'll sit in the pocket and I'll and again here's the big key, I will hope my offensive line can hold up without me getting outside the pocket. Like that's also the part of it where they've been able to get pressure with four. So if they've got that spy there, Dak can't really escape. Now it's gonna they're gonna rely on the offensive line and really have to hold up for the receivers to get open. That's the part that gets a little bit dicey. But again Texas Coast offense is predicated on quick passing that should be able to gate some of that speed that they have in getting to the quarterback. If they do it effectively and if they can hold up those blocks just long enough for them to get the ball.
Speaker 10: And there's also the aspect of using the spy against the defense that's doing it, because let's say an example, they use Nikobe Dean's a spy on deck Prescott. Okay, first benefit takes him out of coverage because he's focused in on Dak Prescott. Second positive is if the pocket is breaking down, Let's say Dak thinks about running, but he doesn't actually go. He just leaks out just enough to drag Nakobe out of the middle of that field, which exposes the middle for Cooks, Ferguson or a.
Speaker 2: Slanting CD Lamb.
Speaker 10: So you can penalize the other team for spying the quarterback as long as you as long as the threat is still there, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So don't take the threat away by any means.
Speaker 6: All Right, We're gonna take our final break when we come back. We got a few more questions on this matchup, Cowboys offense versus phillyfent defense. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 11: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 5: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: Head to the pro shop at and T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on Saturday, November fourth, for the final stop of the twenty twenty three Cowboys Collections on tour. See rare team archives, customized headwear, grab a gift with a purchase and enter for a chance to win a giveaway welcome Back.
Speaker 6: It is the final segment of the break Life from the SWBC Mortgage At the Star, we're talking Cowboys offense versus Eagles defense. My next question for you guys is in the Washington, Minnesota, and New England games, all three of those teams, which only one of them I would consider to be among the better offense in the league, that being Minnesota. When they've got the quarterback and their wide receiver.
Speaker 8: They can be theyn't even try and run the ball, right, Yeah, they can. Times I think to stay like, okay, we're not going to be able to run it today.
Speaker 6: Those three teams through for over three hundred yards against Philadelphia. Did you see anything that was common among those three opponents that you're like, they did this to some success. Dallas can do this because they have some similar receivers.
Speaker 3: Give these guys problems there we go. I mean, it's when you.
Speaker 8: Start to talk about all three of the common things you think about Terry McLaren. And I don't think Terry McLaren gets enough respect for how well he praised with the Commanders. He's a tremendous player. Uh you know, you look at uh what's you know with Jefferson and Minnesota and all. Yeah it this this team struggles with really talented wide receivers, you know, and that's where I the you know, the quarterback combination has to be the you know, the Commanders. It's not great over there, but man, they as well over six hundred yards of passing against them at two games, you know. So I my hope is that, like listen, now, the Cowboys have a better passing attack I think than the teams that you're mentioned. That you're mentioned. So this might be this might be very similar. And I think people hate me when I say this. This might very similar to what the Tampa game was a couple of years ago. You realized, I'm not gonna be able to run the ball, but I can I could take advantage if I could just if I max protect a couple of times, if I you know, if I just kind of if I focus on throwing the football, I can make it very difficult for this Philadelphia team. And I think the teams you're talking about have that ability. I think Dallas has that ability too, if they just wanted to get in. We saw what happened with the Rams. They get sacked two three times to start the game. To get some hits. What they do They just kept throwing the ball. They're like, no, no, no, our best path for victory today is throwing the football. And I could see I think it's going to take some points in this game. I think it's you're going to maybe everybody's prediction is going to be, you know, a small, you know, twenty seventeen kind of thing. I think it's gonna take a lot more points than that. I just like I said, I think there's some things on the on the defensive side for the Cowboys that the Eagles present that could be some problems. This could be this could be one of those track meet type games. So the best path for me and the teams that you mentioned, Derek Beck gover three on ards. It's just they were committed to throwing it, yeah, and making sure that they got it protected and then got those routes with their receivers on up the field.
Speaker 10: If you look at the teams that the Eagles have struggled against as far as narrowly getting the victory versus it being a loss for them.
Speaker 2: Patriots, for example.
Speaker 3: That was Opening day, Opening Day.
Speaker 10: What they do they took the ball away from Jalen Hurts and critical situation exactly. So if you take the ball away, if you take advantage of the opportunities he will give you because he will give you opportunities. We talked about it yesterday. He's on pace for seventeen interceptions this season and he'll put the ball on the ground if you put your hands on and he yeah, and.
Speaker 8: He's I say, I do him, I do I go after him and Josh Allen now quite a bit of buffalo. But I will say this as matter of fact, we talked about yesterday. I know you weren't here, boss, but the knee Jalen hurt saint talking about the knee. He was asked the question about it the press converce.
Speaker 3: He got up and left. He's like, I'm not I'm not telling you that my knee does hurt.
Speaker 6: But they also last week. If you notice, with that knee injury, he did not have a called run.
Speaker 8: They did not have a play called run for last seventy six percent drop back pocket passing for this guy.
Speaker 6: And he killed it. And he played a really good game standing in the pocket and throwing.
Speaker 3: The ball right, gotta get pressure on him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but but to that point, you want him to play the game in the pocket because for this Cowboys defensive line Micah Tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Oh, so you want them to have the opportunity to tee off on him and not to have to play, you know, east to west.
Speaker 2: You want to play north to south against him.
Speaker 10: So but to my point, those guys struggled against teams that threw a lot and forced turnovers. The Cowboys can throw a lot, like they just did against the Rams. They have the weapons and the horses to do it, and they can force turnovers. So the thing that those teams were lacking, Patriots Vikings Commanders was the defense, the caliber of defense that the Cowboys are bringing to the table.
Speaker 2: So that's another plus for the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: So allow me to throw a little monkey wrench into all of this. The one team that actually beat them, though, played a low scoring game twenty to seventeen. Don't have but I'm saying don't have a lethal passing game, right, why were they able to.
Speaker 8: Be successfully beat them up up front?
Speaker 6: There we go, So there is another These other teams that have played them close, somehow Philly has outscored them in those situations. Is this a game where Dallas maybe has to take the other protests opposed to saying we're just gonna go out and just bombs away and we're just gonna try to score a lot of points. Should this be a game where maybe they try to play a little more ball control, play a little more physical and try to win it that way.
Speaker 3: I keep pressure.
Speaker 8: I mean, there's nothing wrong with old school football and trying to I just don't think they're gonna run.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 6: I don't think that I've done at all season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dallas to me.
Speaker 8: Has yet to prove that they can run the football. And so to me, I'm like, does it mean you just totally abandon it? I don't think so. I think you have to try. I think you have to try and run the football.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 8: Me personally, I'm putting as much many points on that board as I can to put pressure on Philadelphia because the one thing I've learned watching Jalen Hurts play. If you can make him hold the football, it's problems for him. Usually they say, oh, he's got plenty of time to throw. With Hurts, it's almost a detriment because the more time he has to think about where he's gonna throw, the more problems that he's had. His interceptions and stuff have been at a high rate, because when you go back and watch him, they've all been because teams have made him hold the football, you.
Speaker 3: Know, make him play.
Speaker 8: We talk about, you know, guys like Russell Wilson making him play backwards. Don't let him play forward. You know, Jalen Hurts is the same way. Make him hold the ball, make him move around a little bit, but kind of keep him in the pocket and make him throw it.
Speaker 10: And also we talked about this yesterday as far as keeping him in the pocket. Stat jumped out in the film Support. I went back last night and looked at the film of his past several games and we talked about this. Very weird. It's an oddity, but it's true. Six of hurts His eight interceptions have occurred when he's throwing.
Speaker 2: To his right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is wild for a right handed quarterback that drops back and his chest is open to that side of the field. That's his strong side. Six of his eight interceptions comes on that side. He doesn't have any of those interceptions middle to deep on his left side, so that is his strong point of attack. That's something that the Cowboys can kind of figure out how to use in their favor. Eighty six point seven. Force is QB rating when thrown to the right side of the field one twelve point forty four. It jumps quite a bit when he he's targeting to the left. Keep him in the pocket and try to delete as much as you can, even if it requires a little bit of a shady safety shade to that side of the field.
Speaker 2: Force him to stay right.
Speaker 6: Is that you know? I wonder and hearing those numbers, I wonder if that's less about lot right versus left and more about where are they using Aj Brown? Yeah, if Ajo Brown's on the right a lot, then that would make sense why he's having those numbers right, It.
Speaker 10: Would it obviously is going to go where they line AJ Brown at point being there's a glaring differential between wherever he's throwing left versus right. So if AJ Brown is let's say on the right, then that's probably going to be a situation where okay, well you know you have to line the probably Bland. I would put Bland there because of the physicality. So that leaves the other half of the field is probably going to be the week's high. There's a week half of the field. It's the point here, and that should give a lot of confidence for this Cowboys secondary because you have gil one. Again, my only concern with gilmoy is against a guy like Devonte Smith who's quick and can drag him across the field. But if it's if you're talking about trying to keep Hurts in the pocket, it works in your favor, particularly if you can get pressure. But even if you don't get pressure, again, half of the field isn't his friend, and that half of the field is probably the half that Aj Brown is not on. So if you need to shade Malik a little bit to Aj to force him to go back to the opposite AJ, you're gonna have opportunities.
Speaker 6: This is the one thing that worries me about this before we end the show, DeVante Smith hasn't really gotten off this year. Devontae Smith is a really good water and that's the part where it's like if they're doing all of this with aj Brown and they haven't really had the opportunity yet to get Devonte Smith in a situations where he's having those he's having those great games. You know that worries me a little bit because he is a very very accomplished wide receiver.
Speaker 10: And I don't know how you'd work this out because Gilmore is your other boundary, but god, I would love to see some Jordan Lewis from Devonte Smith, and you probably will when Smith takes some snaps in the slot. But that's a matchup that the Cowboys can win. Is Jordan Lewis versus Davonte Smith. I have my concerns about Gilmore and his current age and trying to stay up with that quickness, but not if it's Jordan Lewis versus DeVante Smith.
Speaker 2: That's Jordan Lewis for me.
Speaker 6: All Right, that's it, go ahead, Brian.
Speaker 3: I was looking at it real quick.
Speaker 8: I was trying to see if I can find the target chart real quick on uh on uh Brown on Brown here, And it's my computer's being slow. So in this in the show, we'll talk, we'll look that up.
Speaker 2: And we'll have it for you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, all right, that's wrap guys.
Speaker 2: We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: We'll wrap this thing up. Then he'll call in I will, I will, and he'll give us He'll give us a drunken up date from the parade and tell us about A J. Brown and where they're targeting at.
Speaker 8: If you need, if you need me to come on, I'll be happy to.
Speaker 3: If you fireballs into we'll get it time.
Speaker 6: That's I love fireballs.
Speaker 3: Fireball Brian.
Speaker 6: That will be awesome. All right until tomorrow from Patrick Walker. Brian brought us Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.