Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Jiff Peanut Trender. It's peanut butter but trending. I am Jack and I'm thrilled to be joined by a special guest co host, Paula.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not afraid to say it. I have heart radio. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That means so much to us.
Speaker 2: You're so welcome.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank you so much. But do you iHeart podcast Network? No, unfortunately I do not. iHeart podcast Network, Paulave. It's been so wonderful having you here. It is the most wonderful time of the year. My phone is blowing up right now.
Speaker 2: I've never felt less alone in a bad way.
Speaker 1: So many people want to talk to me with spam texts about the election. Spam text not about the election. It feels like they were like, you know what, they're going to be getting so much spam text about the election that we can do spam text just being like, hey, how's everything been with you lately? I got two in a row with heart emojis like that, just double tap okay for Kamala, thank you. Yeah. I think they are trying to fuck me into voting for Kamala. Harris We're going to check back in with Trump's sundowning brainstorming tour.
Speaker 2: He are you saying his brain is a sundowntown? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: She would love every town to be a sundowntown. And he is sundown ing, which is what happens to people suffering from dementia, where they get mean and incoherent. Towards the end of the day, he had a Univision town hall where just continued to ramble in coherently, whether it be his answer to whether he still thinks climate change is a hoax, and I'm just going to read it. So I always feel that with the climate and I have been a great I have been an environmentalist. I built many things. I owned a raw right next door, and we did that in a very environment. I got awards, environmental awards for the way I built it, for the water, the way I use the water, the sand, the mixing of the sand and the water. What could he possibly be talking about right there? Anyways? Four hundred more words exactly, this coherent into the water coming up one eighth of an inch over three hundred years, the ocean is going to rise. And you know, nobody knows if that's true or not, but they're worried about the ocean just killing it, you know. So yes, very cord. Okay.
Speaker 2: I think when he was talking about his use of water, he's talking about how he does wash his legs, you know, and he uses the sand to exfoliate. He's not like the other white you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Have you seen him stand on a slightly sloped surface.
Speaker 2: I feel like that even some out because usually he's alreadyl.
Speaker 1: It's all person. There's no way he's washing his legs.
Speaker 2: Did you ever do those math problems in geometry where it's like a ladder is leaning against a wall. Yeah, exactly like Trump standing and you have to find the angle of his own incline.
Speaker 1: Yes, he needs like a thing going from his forehead to the ground to like make him, yeah, just like a little bit more stable. He also, I think this was the first time, so this was like a town hall where people like there is one guy who's just like, I don't think you're good. I a registered Republican and like, I think you're you did bad at your job. Convinced me otherwise. And it was it was just like he just kind of read him for filth. People enjoyed that. Uh. He also called January sixth the day of love and just you know, he said went down.
Speaker 2: I mean it was love for me, like I slept in. You know, reframing it on Twitter with my friends is reframing it is woodstock. He's like, went down to the capitol, I said, peacefully and patriotically. Nothing done wrong at all, nothing done wrong, and action was taken, strong action.
Speaker 1: Ashley Babbitt was killed. Nobody was killed.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's great because at that moment where he goes Ashley Babbitt was killed, nobody was killed, they're like panning the audience and this woman gives this like wait, and then he says, there was no guns down there. We didn't have guns. The others had guns, but we didn't have guns. And it's just wild that he's openly identifying with the January sixth rioters, Like he's doing the wei thing that like sports fans do. And I always say in theory, it's annoying when people are like talking about their favorite sports even say we but I fucking do that, Like I can't help them. I can't stop myself. There's something so and I think that's it's interesting because like, it's just so tempting to loop yourself in because we're so starved for being part of something bigger than ourselves. That was like, yeah, we fear.
Speaker 2: I think it's very human. I do it with anything I'm a fan of. Like I'm like, we you know are Finland, we have health care. You know, we wrote a bestseller this week, We the Royal Week.
Speaker 1: It's funny that hit. The thing he can't stop from identifying himself with are the January sixth rioters. So that was that. There was also a Trump town hall event for an exclusively women audience on Tuesday. It ended up airing Monday morning.
Speaker 2: I'm worried for them, and.
Speaker 1: He just like kicked off speaking about migrants and declared himself the father of IVF.
Speaker 2: Is there a creepier way to discuss that father?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: What are you invading sperm banks and replacing samples? You freak?
Speaker 1: He's trying to end IVF by like making it so gross that nobody even Yeah, it could be like he made the association in my mind that it's Trump sperm. So I don't love that. Also said he wants to somehow ban all trans athletes from competing in all sports, so just like they're not like even in backyard sports. He also just went on some verbal diary of nonsense about Elon Musk's rocket that they literally had to just like cut him off. It was aimed at making him look presidential and appealing to women, and it probably worked for his audience because they just went wild for him because it was like only people who were part of like official Republican women groups were allowed to attend. So the heavily vetted audience for Fox.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing his like trans fans weren't allowed to attend.
Speaker 1: And that's what's fucked up. Let Trump's trans fans attend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, being a MAGA supporter is technically a sport. You know, it's very There's a huge offensive line that's gonna come.
Speaker 1: Out, That's right, some of the best O lines in terms of just lines that offend everybody coming out of his mouth. But yeah, I don't know. I had like a moment, as you know, on yesterday's trending, Miles was playing some of his favorite little sound bites from the past couple of days where he was like blurg, he was trying to say big, but he was like in your Burg World War two Blurg and just seemed to be drifting on. It really did feel a lot like the moment that we had with Joe Biden, where we're like, this person is like his brain is dissolving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like if they were regular people and not just like the scum of the earth, like you would feel bad for them being like forced to do this, you know, but like he is a horrible person and subjecting us to this, and like if he had a loving family that he cared about, would be at home with them instead right fucking parading around his bigotry in town halls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it gave me a moment where I was like daydreaming about like what happens if Trump loses, Like not if Kamala wins, because you know, who the fuck knows what's gonna happen if Kamala wins, but her platform has not been the best in many respects, but just in terms of like this movement of open fascism, because it seems like this would be the end for him, right.
Speaker 2: Like what we thought with Biden, Like with Biden winning, like even if it's not him, I know that Florida, what's his face? Tried Tota Santa's right, try to recreate the charisma and just couldn't.
Speaker 1: But if there is like a less likable ted Cruz, like, that's the thing I was thinking about, is like in terms of the full blown fascists at this point, like DeSantis turns out to be a less likable ted Cruise JD Vance one that VP debate according to like most mainstream media outlets, and his likability has somehow like gone way down since then, and he was already the least likable hit. So like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do think that there's not thus far that we have seen an individual that can recreate the carusma or whatever you want to call it that Trump has. But I also think it would be naive of us to think that it would like that won't appear somehow, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, maybe the ideology is still there, the hatred is still there. They just haven't been able to capture it in a bottle like the way that Trump did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do think they would be I do think they would be fucked at least for a little while, because I think they would be still stuck on like some dysantis. JD. Vance stuff and like Nikki Hayley might end up having a moment. Oh yeah, but I get I guess the thing is, like I hadn't really thought about what a Republican party after Trump looks like since the last couple years, when it just became increasingly clear like he was going to either win or come within an inch of just like, you know, taking the country into like full blown fascism and just seeing his brain kind.
Speaker 2: Of you can't go half fash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've done many varieties of fashion. It turns out that fascism comes in a number of wonderful colors.
Speaker 2: But I just got a good mouth feel.
Speaker 1: I can't emphasize enough how fucked we are if he wins, But if he loses, I think they're pretty fucked.
Speaker 2: Too, which is just mean the Republicans, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Republicans and like the Mega movement, because he really seems out of his Like he's always seemed out of his mind, but he seems like to be falling apart reading. Yeah, I mean, there's also been those moments in the past where he seemed like he was deteriorating and it was just because he's been awake for three weeks in a row on adderall and then he needs to like sleep again, and then he gets the second one. So again, maybe this is all just me being hopeful.
Speaker 2: I also wonder, like who are the big playmakers that are coming up, because Mitch McConnell's like hands are falling off slowly and like lazy Graham, I don't know what's happening with him, So like in terms of like party turnover, I don't know who the clear leaders are for like the next generation of like the GOP. Yeah, and who would be as effectively insidious as like Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I feel like you can always replace Mitch McConnell with a different like insidious, like you know, just because like there was no charisma there to begin with.
Speaker 2: He was no but he was working behind the scenes in like a really effective way. Yeah, And like I don't know like who would be able to do that, because right now it seems like because Trump has been so forward facing, it does feel like a lot of people are attempting to usurp that position and be in front of the camera and try to become celebrities rather than like work underneath to kind of like obviously everybody knows Mitch McConnell, but he's not out there as much as like Ted Cruz is just saying wild shit then bling his name after. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back, check in with the Kamala campaign and Peanut Butter. We'll be right back and we're back. So Kamala Harris went on Fox News. It was not a why. I mean, I think if her point was to, you know, convey I can remain composed while being completely sandbagged and attacked in a hugely stacked interview, I think she succeeded at that.
Speaker 2: Maybe she was recruiting someone for her cabinet position exactly.
Speaker 1: I like their spunk continuing to double down. I don't disagree with the Fox News decision. I think, like, I don't know, it seems it played well with me trying to think like a Republican, but I've never been able to do that at all, So who the fuck knows.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's useful on this media for, but I'm just like mad at her.
Speaker 1: Yeah me too, I am ad at her too. There's that there was a Kamala HQ tweet where they showed like Trump campaign has spent millions on anti trans ads next to a New York Times headline under Trump, US prisons offered gender affirm and care, and we're like, oh, like trying to point out that they transphobia. A yeah, like doing fucking transfer. Oh, it's just very frustrating. I also read an article where there's like this super pack that is working for them, is basically using social media to focus group like a thousand different possible messages and then the ones that actually resonate with people. They then put those messages into tv ads and then do like twenty different tv ads and then focus group those until they find the tv ads.
Speaker 2: Dang, hot girl.
Speaker 1: Exactly just random word generatoring. This is totally different.
Speaker 2: But I just saw a clip of the guy who wrote SOS by Rihanna and how like the second verse or the first verse or something was entirely number one pop hits from the eighties and he went through song titles. Yah, yeah, song titles. Is that what the Kamala team is doing, just stringing together whatever's trending.
Speaker 1: But again, so Clintonian, like the whole way. We've already talked about how her positioning and her decision to like just keep moving further to the right to try and capture a bigger and bigger part of the tent is like very like it's the triangulation that Clinton Bill Clinton made famous did not work out so well more recently.
Speaker 2: And that didn't back for ir at all with the crime bill or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also people are now smarter and are like that fucking a terrible presidency in any ways. But also just weather ballooning and responding to popular opinion is just such a just like letting popular opinion control your campaign. I understand the logic, and that seems to be any anyone who like objects to this is just like, yeah, well, what's she going to do try and win you over? You're already going to vote for her, And it's like yeah, but it also just like makes it look like they don't have any beliefs, which is bad if you're running to be a leader.
Speaker 2: It's also exactly what Trump's doing. He like reads the room and responds in that way like he literally will say things will gauge whether it gets like a laugh or a reaction, and then continues down that road. That's like every every behavior of his has been rewarded in some way, which is why he is the way he is. Yeah, So like, how are you different from the Republicans then?
Speaker 1: Right? But yeah, I don't know. Just generally following this election, I feel like I'm watching a weather report for like one day in three weeks and just hoping it doesn't rain in Seattle or you know, it's just like I don't fucking know, like it and nobody knows. Like the New York Times had this headline, how accurate or off target could the polls be this year? Maybe not?
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 1: The answer is literally very off target and we don't know in which direction more at eleven.
Speaker 2: You know, that's like when there's like a breaking news story, the reporter just has to keep talking to fill time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. The polls. I mean, I think everyone else who is worried about this election is has the same thought. Like the polls really seem to underestimate Trump every fucking time. They did a big one in twenty sixteen, and we were all surprised the day after the election if you were paying attention to the polls twenty twenty, in many ways they were more off. They had Wisconsin off by ten points, like they were like that's Biden's going to run away with us. He barely want it. But because Biden won, like, we don't remember it as being as far off.
Speaker 2: Do you think the polls were so off because they were manned by teen volunteers?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, I think we will talk about that on tomorrow's episode. Yeah, the poll those are the actual polls that will be manned by team volunteers. But yeah, I mean polling is a mess. Like I've seen people who are saying that the polls now, like after twenty twenty, they were like, okay, guys, we need to change everything, and they started shifting things like so far towards the Republicans that they were then predicting a red wave for the midterms, and like that's why they were off at that time, and they think they might be off again this time.
Speaker 2: I mean Biden cocky, Like he literally was like they said there was gonna be a red wave. Yeah, there was, like every time he's asked about and then he fell.
Speaker 1: Asleep in the middle of the sentence. So nobody seems to really know. I feel very uncomfortable with any like tiny narrow polling lead over Trump, who has always historically outperformed as polls, Like, really, the only possibility of Harris winning at this point seems to be assuming that they've built in a massive pulling error, like pushing towards Republicans, because otherwise it will just be Trump overperforming again and winning. Because this is worse than the polls were for the Democrats heading into any of his previous elections. So we'll see, you know.
Speaker 2: But the one thing, given everything that's happened, that he's doing the best he's ever done. Yeah, like after being indeted, after talking the way he talks, like, it's just insane. I'm not surprised, but it's insane.
Speaker 1: Not good polay would be how I would describe it. But I think what's important is that one thing Americans have gotten right is their peanut butter. And that's called a transition. And that is what we do here in this podcast. We transition.
Speaker 2: We transition, and we're pro tramp.
Speaker 1: And we are pro transitioning. So peanut butter turns out to be one of those things that we have I guess mostly right, or like consumers are getting right. So there's a review in the food blog the Takeout, which is we used to talk about the take out a lot. But it's basically like food snobs reviewing fast food and you know, grocery store items and stuff like that. And they did a ranking of widely available store bought peanut butter, and the two best are Jiff and Skippy according to their like mind taste testing, which are the two best selling. Skippies number two in sales and number one according to their taste tests. Jiff number one in sales, number two in taste. But the fact that we got the top two, right, I was like, that's it? Is it?
Speaker 2: Because they're filled completely with like sugar, and.
Speaker 1: It is they're bad for it. These are all these are all bad for us. This is this is a food review site. I should say that, like, you know, seriously considers the mouthfeel of like Taco Bell products.
Speaker 2: And okay, that is legitimate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's there's nothing wrong with that. If you're going to kill yourself with food, might as well be thoughtful about it as you're going down. But I don't know, it just it's an interesting category of things, whether they be just like food, they are products that are I guess you would call them like accurately raided, Like we kind of have it right, Like I was thinking of purchases. Yeah, the consumer purchases like Hines and Hunts, like Hines being number one and Hunts being a distant second kind of matches up with my experience of those products and other ketchups, Like I've never had a ketchup that's as good as Hines. I don't know why this this now sounds like a hinds ad sponsor.
Speaker 2: Of ketchup.
Speaker 1: Please Candy. I feel like despite all those like maps where they're like California's favorite candy is actually Nilla wafers. You know, when you look at overall sales, Reese's peanut butter cups are still the number one selling thing, and I think I would have to rank them near the top for myself.
Speaker 2: They are delicious, But I will say like, as I've gotten older, I don't know what happened. I used to eat like literally and I still do sometimes, like candy, ice cream, terrible things for breakfast, like, but for some reason, my palate has gotten hoity toity, And I'm like, there's a weird aftertaste to Hershey's chocolate and I'm having a hard time. Yeah, I'm like there's something like I'm feeling something in it. I'm like, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: There's like a spiciness that I feel like, not even spiciness, but like a kind of it's like it hurts the back of your throat a little bit because it has so much sugar in it has always been how I've interpreted that. I was curious if like Cola's could kind of fit into this, because I do feel like coke despite the fact that there are like other types of sodas I've enjoyed, it's never like the cola kind Like I've never had a cola that I was like, that's better than coke, you know.
Speaker 2: But also that depends on where you are because they have that like Coca Cola tasting thing with cokes from all different countries, and there are some that are horrific really and there's oh yeah there was like I did it when I was a kid, so I don't know if it's changed, but like there was some that was I was like, y awful. Yeah, So like for like the eminem thing and the coke music and like I think it was in Vegas or whatever. Yeah, you could go like taste tests all the different cokes and they had like a fountain and it was fun, but yeah, there are some cokes that are really bad. So, like, I don't know if it's but I've always been a fan and this might just be the Indian in me. I think there was some situation where with Pakistan in India when when stuff was going down there, hope wasn't like allowed in India or something like that at some point, I don't know, but then it came up with their own coke called thumbs Up, and like I actually prefer that to coke.
Speaker 1: Oh really OK?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it might just beyle a different India.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It was like cultural conditioning. Like I only think peanut butter like Jiff and Skippy peanut butter or Jiff and was it. Yeah, Jiff and Skippy peanut butter are good because that is the peanut butter I was raised on. And like everybody else is like this tastes like rat shit.
Speaker 2: Do you know what though? Is that we used to take food to certain foods to our our family in India, and the foods that they or the fun things that they couldn't get, we always take them Girl Scout cookies, like my mom always buys up a ton and then we take them to India and then they freeze them and like eat them slowly over the year so that they can like ration them out.
Speaker 1: Cookies are a great product.
Speaker 2: And then also Big Read, although Big Read did change the recipe at some point and it's not the same as it was when I was a kid. And then also peanut butter. We used to take peanut butter because they didn't have good smooth peanut butter, and we would take jiff. Yeah, yeah, there it is, So that is transcending countries.
Speaker 1: Paula Ganalon, truly a pleasure having you here with ya. Where can people find you and follow you?
Speaker 2: Hello the Ganalan p A l l A v I g U n A l A and everywhere. I run a show at the comedy store called Facial Recognition Comedy and I'm doing stand up everywhere.
Speaker 1: Follow me, follow me? Uh great, Well again, wonderful having you. That's gonna do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine and get your flu shot. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow bye bye