Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max.
Speaker 2: You can also watch the.
Speaker 1: Video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. Okay, I'm Susi Esman.
Speaker 3: You are Jeff Garland.
Speaker 1: We are on episode four of season one, the Bracelet.
Speaker 3: I just want to say something, and I don't know how we can work this out, but I know true crime shows are very popular, so I think it'd be really good if we tied in, even though it's fictionalized some episode of murder, some episode of chasing someone, maybe a serial killer, through each episode of our show, because people love that. I know I do.
Speaker 1: Well, you know I like fake crime as opposed to true crime.
Speaker 3: I like them both. We do watch the same shows on BBC one with that we do.
Speaker 2: We love our morses and our endeavors.
Speaker 1: And yeah, all right, start out the episode, and Larry is watching. Larry is a long suffering Jets fan, as most all Jets fans are, but.
Speaker 3: As we're back to budget and what have you. Yes, he's watching the Jets in his performance. But on TV, I think it's like Vikings Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? I couldn't even.
Speaker 3: Watches a second time. I'm pretty sure it's Vikings Cowboys.
Speaker 2: So it's But he says it's the Giants.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't say Giants. I don't think.
Speaker 1: No, Yes, he does. He's mention because I'm a Giants fan. So I noticed it. He mentions, and he's screaming at the TV, you know, very very involved in the game. And Cheryl comes home with luggage. She's clearly been out of town and hasn't seen him for a number of days.
Speaker 2: And what happens, He's not the thing, and she gets leaves angry. That's right.
Speaker 3: So I have two thoughts here. Number one, his beard is clearly fait and it does look like he's been in a chimney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. He's very disheveled looking.
Speaker 3: He's very disheveled. But also the number of times that my wife of your or my girlfriend have come in forget football, where it happens, baseball last inning. They also come in on it's the last ten minutes of the wire. I've had that one happen at the end of the Sopranos ship, I had to switch to another.
Speaker 2: So I have timing. You're talking about timing, Yes.
Speaker 3: But I have never walked in on any of the women in my life and said I wanted to talk about something and they're at the end of something. I don't know what it is that's sniffed out or has how this happens, but it happens. So I loved watching that, and I felt for him because there's two minutes left.
Speaker 1: And well, I think my husband's very lucky that I'm a big sports fan because I know better.
Speaker 3: Can I just say a blanket statement?
Speaker 2: Your husband's very lucky as am I.
Speaker 3: He's a champ. I did. Yes, I was at your wedding for criminal.
Speaker 2: I know so hat that.
Speaker 3: Your mother got angry at me for wearing a hat. It was a dandy hat.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even a pi hat pork pi hat.
Speaker 2: Why did she get angry at you for the pork pie hat?
Speaker 3: She felt it was disrespectful at your wedding to wear She had so many issues. No, but she really, but she yelled at me.
Speaker 2: Did she really?
Speaker 3: Oh? She did? And then we made out.
Speaker 2: Jeff, that's gone too far to me.
Speaker 3: Not make out, but she kissed me gently on the forehead and said, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: No, I doubt she ever did that.
Speaker 3: She did not do that.
Speaker 2: No, she did not.
Speaker 1: I know my mother no longer with us, So you know, again, this is the marriage.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the thing.
Speaker 1: And then she gives him the silent treatment later in the bedroom and you know, you just see that he's but the beard, by the way, is another example of this first season how low budget and slap dash things were.
Speaker 3: Rapdash is the key word there. A lot of it was put together with bubblegum and paste. You know, It's just we had to do what we had to do. And I also, as I mentioned before, wear suits that I'm not crazy about.
Speaker 2: But there was something kind of fun.
Speaker 1: It was almost like, you know, I got a barn let's put on a show kind of a feeling, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Generally, most bands, except for maybe the Beatles and a few others, your first album is your best album, and then if that's successful, it's a slow degrade downwards because you start believing the hype. We worked from in the vacuum. We had no money, we had no idea how people were going to receive this, and so there was an energy there and they willing to do stuff I'm talking about behind the scenes, you know, put up with stuff.
Speaker 2: And a silliness and a fun It was just a silly.
Speaker 3: Idea where we go more than these ten episodes, not a clue. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other thing that struck me in the he's trying to make come with Cheryl. He's talking about soy milk and that it's bad for you. And again another theme of Larry's is his health paranoia that gets laid out here. And you know what has struck me When I'm looking like the last episode, I was saying, he wouldn't have worn that. You know, he's wearing something he wouldn't have worn. In this episode, their comforter seemed so out of character. Okay, they had this big floral comforter.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you brought that up because I wanted to talk about that. I wrote down the note. How ridiculous is their bedroom? The bedroom looks like they just got out of college and this is their first place together exactly. It makes no sense and you have the comfort everything about this show aesthetically very confusing.
Speaker 2: Very confusing.
Speaker 1: It changes Yeah, for me, it's so interesting to see, you know, how it's changed. And again what we were just talking about, the slap dashness of it, everything from the set design to the camera worked everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not much time, not much money.
Speaker 1: And he tries to explain to her by saying, this is like you watching the Oscars and it's the last minute and it's the best actress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, that's a good analogy too.
Speaker 1: And then Larry goes to his office and gets a note that Bill Scheft called once again an old comedy friend. My dear friend, Bill Scheft is just thrown The name is just thrown in just for delightful.
Speaker 3: This is the second time Bill Chef's called the show. Yeah. OK.
Speaker 1: And Larry is dressed in like ripped, dirty, disgusting sweats and he's unshaven and he looks like a homeless guylained why he's dressed like that, He just says, I'm going to the gym, and his assistance is like this, you look disgusting, and he never We don't really know he hasn't shaved because Cheryl's been out of town. Why he hasn't been shaved by the next day when she's back home.
Speaker 2: I don't know he's never really.
Speaker 3: Dressed like a peg. He's going to the gym.
Speaker 2: Because it serves the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I hate when the logic goes out the window. I wasn't here for a lot of this episode. I'm not in it, but I wasn't here as a producer because my son, Duke was born during this episode.
Speaker 2: Oh is that true of the day.
Speaker 3: They filmed the fight in front of the jewelry store. Duke was born that day.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's my younger son.
Speaker 1: We're happy you weren't there because we're happy Duke was born. Yes, delightful young man he is. But I don't think it's ever explained beyond that. And his assistant I forgot her name. I love her. She's terrific.
Speaker 3: Spoiler and that's spoiler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's try I might.
Speaker 3: Be mispronouncing it. I'll double check.
Speaker 1: And she tells him he has to get a gift, which she does to shower to make up. This is nothing like a gift jewelry.
Speaker 3: Yes, that always is a winner.
Speaker 1: I'm always shocked that men don't understand the power of the flower.
Speaker 2: It's the simplest thing you know here in New York.
Speaker 1: On every corner there's a Delhi or whatever where you could just buy a bunch of flowers, and it means everything, and it solves everything, and they're stupid not to take advantage.
Speaker 3: By the way, I've done the flower thing many times, but I'm horrible at buying Marla, my wife of your either for Christmas, Hanuka, whatever, or her birthday. I know that I gave her these two gifts, which she wanted, but I gave her a drill. Now he's like, what the fuck a drill?
Speaker 2: Drill is a great thing to have, but not as a man gift.
Speaker 3: And then the other time a barbecue. But by the way, well, and I totally screwed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, barbecue is a wonderful thing to have.
Speaker 3: No, I know my heart was in the right place, but I admit to being an idiot.
Speaker 1: So there's a bracelet Cheryl loves in this jewelry store. He goes to this jewelry store and he looks like a homeless guy and he gets into an argument with a real homeless guy looking similar to him in front, and they don't let him in, so he needs to call a friend to go into the store to buy the bracelet for him, and he calls his very very dear friend, Richard Lewis. Yes, who shows up in a Jimmy Hendrix tie.
Speaker 3: By the way, I noticed that too at a hipster No I know, but I saw it, and I'm like, what kind of goofy ties man? And I look closer, it's a Jimmy Hendrix.
Speaker 2: That's Jimmy Hendricks.
Speaker 3: I remember we go on on tour and he always had to go last, which you and I were fine with, and he came on always to purple head Hendricks Yeah, purple heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have to understand that rich is a throwback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, a lot of his jokes that even tells on the show our throwback. For example, he looked at Larry and said, which is midnight Cowboy reference? But you know, I loved it. But only people are midnight Cowboy fans would understand that. And I don't know how many there are, but I would guess per TV show, we have the highest percentage of midnight cowboy fans of any comedy.
Speaker 1: Be right back, stay tuned, and we're back just for a little aside here, and we'll have Richard on more than once. At some point and he could tell the story as well, but just to give the audience some background. Richard and Larry they were born in the same hospital, like a few weeks apart. They're born the same year. They didn't know each other then, and they went to the same camp, the same sleep boy camp, and they hated one another the Sleepwoy camp where they were twelve thirteen something like that. Cut to years later, they're both at the Improv on West forty fourth Street, right around the corner where I am right now, and they look at each other.
Speaker 2: They're like, cool, you look familiar. I don't know who you.
Speaker 1: They're both doing stand up and they realized that they were the same guys that they hated each other years ago in sleep boy camp, and then they became fast friends for the rest of their lives and they are very very close friends and have been for many, many years. So that's the background on them, yes, But so Lewis shows up wearing his Hendrix tie and he's standing in front of the store to show him, but the store closes for lunch and Lewis wants to walk to lunch and Larry doesn't want to. Nobody walks in la Lewis wants to walk. I felt like that was like, you know, who.
Speaker 3: Wanted to go was quite the distance?
Speaker 1: Quite the distance? Yeah, I walk in LA, but that's because I'm a New Yorker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's certain neighborhoods where everybody walks. But you got to be in that neighborhood because everybody will drive to that neighborhood. You know, I remember walking from Soho to the Upper West Side talking about it.
Speaker 2: I've done that many times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm just saying that's normal. If you tell the New Yorker you did that, they go, oh, look at you. Nothing more than that. If you expect them to go, you did that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, but in LA it's it's odd.
Speaker 3: By the way in LA people walk when they go on hikes, and I find that very unappealing. I liked knowing in New York that I'm walking.
Speaker 2: Is exactly there's a destination.
Speaker 3: By the way. My wife of your and I can't think of something better than ex wife. I'm trying because I hate ex wife, and I will change it as the podcast goes.
Speaker 2: You can't say my old wife, but what she used to do, she used.
Speaker 3: To want to go for a walk. In the middle of the walk, she would get to something where she was upset about and something I couldn't function with. I'm stuck.
Speaker 2: You're stuck. You're trapped. There's no uber. Yeah, you're trapped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you have to wait like the uber. You have to wait for the uber. So you're stuck. And then taxi cabs don't run up and down suburban la or.
Speaker 2: La, which is you can't hail a cab.
Speaker 3: You cannot hail a cab.
Speaker 2: No, it's not New York.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: So I was asked this question by Becca I believe, our supervising producer, who said, is that really the relationship between Louis and Larry, this contention and this fighting, because if always fighting, is that real?
Speaker 3: And I would say the first scene that you see in episode one of them arguing in the office one hundred percent real. Them wrestling in front of.
Speaker 2: A place, well that no, that's extreme.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, but I'm saying yes, they they do yell at each other and it's funny. And what's great about it too, is there's no hurt feelings when they do this.
Speaker 1: So they go to lunch and Larry goes off on this whole riff about how women are so offended by men's genitalia that they have to be in love with them to sleep with them and to have sex with them.
Speaker 2: They have to really love the man to get involved with that grotesque phoenix. I totally disagree with that.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, well, I dine. I used to agree because I always thought that they were doing us a favor by going down and blowing us. And I don't like going down blowing, Okay, So I always thought that they were doing it to be kind or they were really in love with someone, just like he says. Yeah, but I over the years, many women I know they told me how much they loved doing it.
Speaker 1: To me, that is a completely adolescent sense of women's sexuality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're talking about men, Yes, exactly like lessons. I mean, come on.
Speaker 1: And then there's the whole run about the captain's tip, which also Anna and Becka didn't even know what that was. That's a very old fashioned thing because most restaurants don't do that anymore, but it used to be de Ragora.
Speaker 2: I think, were you tip the matre?
Speaker 3: D you tip the captain at fine like steakhouses, like fine restaurants. By the way, that's the thing from maybe the latest they did that on a regular basis was the sixties, you know, for a nicer restaurant.
Speaker 1: But it's like if you went to El Morocco or twenty one, those great place.
Speaker 3: It's old and historic. And yeah, by the way, I've had a few dinners with a captain and I was completely confused. What do you tip the captain?
Speaker 2: And who is the captain?
Speaker 3: The actor?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying, who the captain? You know, it's like me weird. It's not like it's not a ship.
Speaker 3: It's not the captain like waiter self explanatory.
Speaker 2: But the captain d D is understanding.
Speaker 3: That episode, I don't know what a captain is to me.
Speaker 2: That was a very old person reference.
Speaker 3: No, I thought it was great because he showed that it wasn't an old person reference even though it's an old reference. By being confused.
Speaker 1: By it, I'm not criticizing the reference. I'm just saying that it was a lot of people don't even know that that exists anymore, and it did.
Speaker 2: It was a thing.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I guarantee there are a few places still that have a captain.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe I think actually the Carlisle does.
Speaker 3: By the way, you'd expect the captain there. Yeah, they're not going to go captain list.
Speaker 1: So after they finish all that, and they go back to the jewelry store and there is Michael the Blind Guy. I forgot that Michael the Blind Guy was in this episode called the Blind Guy becomes a major character in the ben still a season what was that, season three or four, I don't remember, but he becomes a major character and a major.
Speaker 2: Storyline of the season. In a later season yep.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the most wonderful guy. And he's so and if I remember correctly, he wasn't blind.
Speaker 2: No, he's not blind.
Speaker 3: But by the way, I have no problem with that. Nowadays, you would either cast a blind person or give a blind person every opportunity to get the role. And you know a lot of times you want to do that, and they're not the best person. That being said, and this is my big belief that you don't automatically cast somebody because of something like that. But they should damn well get all the opportunities they can. You make the effort more than an effort. It's like a must to be inclusive. But I am not of the one where you have to hire the blind person. There you go, because actors can play lots of things. And by the way, I threw that out there because I know that half of you are going to agree and half of you are going to think I'm a moron. Well you're both right. Those of you who agree with me great, and those of you who think I'm a moron, I am a moron. So both sides win. When it comes to me saying something, I.
Speaker 1: Could attest to that, yes, And I love how Lewis says, how could.
Speaker 2: You say blind man in front of a blind man?
Speaker 3: By the way, in my opinion, that's the funniest moment of the show. It's Larius. He says blind man in front of a blind man? And then what does Richard say? What's the term? He says? Later someone who can't see? He says something in Larry's which is the essentially of saying blind man.
Speaker 1: It was almost but I know what you're talking about. And then Richard brings up a whole thing about recovering alcoholic. I think Lewis's recovering alcoholic line should be a drinking game, because in every episode practically he slips in that recovery.
Speaker 3: I thought I would be a drinking game. Yeah, I love that. My relations although I don't know I met him in stand up. I don't know what his story was then. But on curb the fact that I pretty much only worked with the sober Richard Lewis and we even go to.
Speaker 1: Aam Me too, I did not really. I mean I knew him a little bit. You know, he's legendary, he's older than us, and he was already so you know, he was amazing when we came up as congra.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you the date, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've only known him well sober as well. I didn't know him in his crazy days.
Speaker 3: I did, but were friends. I know, we weren't friends. Then we become close friends since the show.
Speaker 1: Then Michael the blind guy gilts them into going to his apartment to move his furniture, which I think that premise is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Right, and by the way, that scene is hilarious, hilarious and again like the scene in the last episode of getting Directions with that Lady, difficult scene. It's very difficult to pull off these guys moving and moving and moving his furniture until they can escape. It feels real. I'll tell you what didn't feel real is Richard's hair when he was done.
Speaker 2: Because he was so sweaty and exhausted.
Speaker 3: And you could have pulled that off with him being sweaty, but he had the sweat of somebody who just it just was too extreme. I don't know if he's ever been sweaty like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that whole scene I think is so funny. And Larry referring to as a deceptive blind man.
Speaker 2: Didn't mislead us, He didn't tell us the truth about what we had to move.
Speaker 3: He was a deceptive blind man, which he was.
Speaker 2: He was very deceptive and very manipulative.
Speaker 3: And that's also one of those scenes where you actually feel bad for Richard and Larry. They don't come up very often, don't come feel so bad. That was. But I have to say, Larry did not know that he was going to bring back the blind Man. You know he does that, He doesn't right now.
Speaker 2: He didn't know at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, but you know, those things kind of trigger him. I mean, it's the things that inspire him that he'll be writing the next season and then he'll remember Michael the blind Man from season one or whatever, and he's like, he reuses it, and you know, I mean, I think a lot of characters and a lot of actors inspire him. We have a scene like that this season that I'm not going to mention what it is of somebody from a previous season who inspired him to come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty brilliant. Actually, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: And then Richard says to him, is it true or not that I have more? I don't know.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's straight out of real life.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: That is so straight out of real life that he would say that to Larry. And what would Larry's reaction be? He'd burst out laughing.
Speaker 1: First of yeah, I know, we'll be right back, stay tuned, Okay, we're back. Who's real and who's not? Richard Lewis is Richard Lewis, I'm Sussie.
Speaker 3: This is a horrible thing to say. The only one of.
Speaker 2: Us who's I know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 3: But people don't understand Richard Lewis is more Richard Lewis off camera. Like on camera he's a little pulled back, but off camera he's I'll say ten times what he is on the show.
Speaker 1: But like episode two, it was Ted and Mary it was Ted Dance. So and Cheryl's name is Cheryl, but she's Cheryl Hines, not Cheryl David, and so there is a confusion. I would just want people to understand that, really we're all characters, even if Ted Danson is playing Ted Danson and you know whoever, Larry David is playing Larry David.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I think it's quite the challenge to play yourself, it really is that.
Speaker 1: But I don't think any of them are playing themselves. They're all playing a Carora Well version.
Speaker 3: Of themselves that Larry creates. And we have more stories about Ted Danson in that arena, if you will.
Speaker 2: A lot coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so none of us are who we We're all acting.
Speaker 3: You especially are so far from that characters. The thing that's sim between you and the SUSI and thing. You won't do any silly stuff that I asked for.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't suffer fools gladly, as you know.
Speaker 3: But you really Larry plays along with me. Cheryl's my number one play alonger, which people don't know, and you will not do any like I've had Larry go up to extras and explain to all of them. How he collects lotions from around the world, which I found hilarious. You would never do that, you know that, Cheryl. We were filming in a hospital and there was a lot of doctor cock on fire. Yes, all right, well, but it is true. So that's you're completely not that And I am so not like the character at.
Speaker 2: All, And neither is Larry in so many ways.
Speaker 3: By the way, no, no, forget so many ways. He's not like his character at all. But hold on, JB. Nothing like nothing like Leon. You know what he'd love though. He loves staying in character. After they yell cut and I walk up to him and go, am I dealing with JB? Or am I dealing with Leon right now? And he keeps going and then he bursts out laughing because he loves to continue it for whatever.
Speaker 1: But the confusion I think is less for us because you're playing Jeff Green and now plays his Green. Then for the people Ted Danson, Richard Lewis, a million others that John Ham, whoever it is that are have their real name and their real profession, let's say, but they're still acting.
Speaker 2: It's still not their character.
Speaker 3: Shure Lewis is even acting, but like I said, he's the only one that is.
Speaker 1: His character similar to his character, very similar, right, But even so it's not him.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's acting, you know, right. He buys into whatever story Larry right, right, And I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And I wanted a Claire for that because people that we're working with here ask that question they were confused. So it doesn't confuse us because we're in it, we know, but it's nice to get another perspective, all right.
Speaker 2: So Lewis has more serenity than Larry.
Speaker 1: And then Larry's again watching the football game and again screaming and yelling at the TV, which I'm sure he really does, and he figures out that he lost his credit card and he's got to go back to the restaurant to get it. But in the interim he got Cheryl Roses and they're all made up and that worked, so he doesn't feel as though he needs to get the bracelet any longer.
Speaker 3: What was the scene where Larry answers the phone and he hands it to the guy in the street and says, if it's a man, give me the phone. If it's a woman, he's calling, He's I know he's calling Richard Lewis.
Speaker 1: Initially, but yeah, that was much earlier. And Bob Whitey, who directed the episode, is playing the man.
Speaker 3: Even though I made fun of him all the time for that performance, he was really good.
Speaker 2: He was very good.
Speaker 3: Confusion, I thought he was great.
Speaker 2: So there he was very good.
Speaker 3: Let's go back in the future.
Speaker 1: So he's got Cheryl the roses, he doesn't need to go spend money on a bracelet.
Speaker 2: She accepted the roses. They were all made up.
Speaker 1: Lewis then says, can I buy that bracelet for my girlfriend? And Larry's like sure. But of course right after that, Cheryl comes in and says.
Speaker 2: I think I really do want that bracelet.
Speaker 1: And he says, but we already made up. So I told Louis that his girlfriend could have the bracelet, and of course Cheryl's not happy about that at all. So Larry cleans himself up. He's in a tie in a button down shirt, he shaves, and he goes to the restaurant to pick up the credit card. And who's playing the hostess but Laura fair Child at the time. Now Striker, who was then Larry's assistant is now one of our executive producers and is a great producer and writer.
Speaker 2: And she looks absolutely gorgeous.
Speaker 3: She still looks bad, she still looks so beautiful.
Speaker 2: She's a beautiful person inside and out.
Speaker 3: She really is though.
Speaker 2: And also her acting was terrific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did great. By the way to the show is just be a person. Don't put a spin on it. Be a person. You know.
Speaker 1: I've never been in the casting process with you guys, but I would imagine you must see people come in who put on such a show.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's two things. Now, we do it everybody home tapes.
Speaker 2: We don't do it pandemic.
Speaker 3: Yes, they just give their real you know. Most of the time. The weird, weird, weird thing about the audition process is people come into audition, but they're acting with the people they'd be doing it Larry, myself, Cheryl, Larry and I Cheryl and Larry, you know, and so it throws them. I go out and prepare them for that. I introduce myself. This is why I love doing it in person. So that being said, if you come in and put a spin on anything, try and make it funny, you're not going to be hired. Bill.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Let me also say about that, for many many seasons, Larry would never allow the guest stars to see the outlines.
Speaker 3: Because he means, no, I don't pay attention.
Speaker 1: Yes he does now. But starting last season I think was the first season he ever.
Speaker 3: When you think about it was a season twelve or what was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, season thirty, the season eleven, I think, And the reason for that.
Speaker 3: Years people were just coming in cold.
Speaker 1: Right, And the reason for that was he didn't want them preparing lines and stuff ahead of time.
Speaker 3: See, I think if you give people the sides and they know the show's improvise, they will come up with jokes, whereas if they're standing there and they know nothing except what Jeff Shaefer explains is going to happen. Which, by the way, I don't read the outlines. I read the outlines when they're first written. So before we start the season, I've read every episode and then I basically blank out. And when I get to set, I say to Jeff Schaeffer, all right, what happens in this scene? Because I know I'm not preparing anything.
Speaker 1: But but you know what, Jeff, I like to know because I like to gauge my performance. If somebody's yelling and screaming at him, in the scene before. I like to know what that.
Speaker 3: You never got the sides before?
Speaker 2: No, I always got them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what are you talking.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, I like to know what's the through line of the episode, so that I could know. Okay, somebody screaming and yelling at him the scene before, then maybe I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to be a little lower, Okay, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The people aren't getting the full outline. They're just getting their scene outline. If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: They don't even get that.
Speaker 1: Usually now they do, but in the past they would just show up on set and they would be told what the scene is about. They did not see anything written for years.
Speaker 3: By the way, but in my eyes, an improvised show or an improvise movie, you don't let anybody read the outline. You tell them on the need to know basis. But now they're so dense the outlines that I think people have complicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for many, many seasons, the only people that the outlines were you and me and Larry. Obviously, Cheryl was allowed to read the outlines, but she didn't want to, and Richard for a long time was dying to read the outlines and Larry wouldn't let them.
Speaker 3: Because even without the outlines, he were on a million jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's his thing. So then Larry goes to buy Cheryl.
Speaker 3: For those of you here water in the background, they should know we're not being we're pouring ourselves.
Speaker 2: Water, not being.
Speaker 1: Larry dresses up like a mench and he goes and he's going to get there really really early to get the bracelet a shark because he's got to beat Lewis. There's many many things throughout the seasons where he's beating Lewis at something, you know, getting to a restaurant early, whatever. But first he has to stop at the restaurant where he did not tip the captain in order to get his credit card that he left there. And of course the captain is there and Laura is playing.
Speaker 3: The mat the captain parked about.
Speaker 1: To say that, okay, yeah, the captain blocks Larry's car, parks and in front of him and blocks Larry's car in, and the captain then refuses to move his car because Larry didn't tip him. It's the most petty, mean gesture I think of the captain.
Speaker 3: Oh can I tell you something you don't want to fuck with a captain.
Speaker 1: Just don't who knew the power of the captain, They don't have senses of him. And Larry then has to literally run to the jewelry shore, which of course makes no sense in la because they wouldn't be even near each other, but whatever, and Lewis is going to the jewelry shore to get the bracelet, and the two of them end up having a knockdown fight in the vestibule.
Speaker 3: That they do, which is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Which is hilarious, And that's the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that feels good. That felt good. Did you enjoy yourself?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, and very very much so.
Speaker 1: Well, that's and I feel like this was an episode that established the which is a theme for twelve seasons as well, the Larry Lewis dynamic. I mean, last the be there at sundown, you know in episodis one had that thing, but this you get the more sense of their friendship in this one, and they go on to lunch and you know all of that.
Speaker 3: And that is the complexity of a friendship when it's real is that there's so many ups and downs, so many arguments. I say that because right now, an old friend of mine and we're not doing too well, and you think we should make up. I know I will. I've already forgiven.
Speaker 2: Now I'm just gonna is this who I think it is?
Speaker 3: Well? Who else is there? I don't know.
Speaker 2: You've told me about two or three.
Speaker 3: I told you one that's not a friend, okay, but you know who it is. I want our listeners to guess. Please write us.
Speaker 2: I don't know do they get a prize?
Speaker 3: Too much information? But listen. Thank you so very much for listening to us. It is an honor that you're taking time out of your day to listen. I know a lot of you are listening in the car and it makes your journey better. There you go. How exciting is that for us?
Speaker 2: And don't forget to tip your captain?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ever come in contact with the captain?
Speaker 2: Did the right thing because they have power? Baby?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bye. The History of carb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or
Speaker 2: Wherever you listen to your favorite shows.