Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Joining us now the former NEC director and IBM Vice chair Gary Kirk. Gary, good morning, good.
Speaker 3: To see you, Good to see you. Thanks for having You've.
Speaker 2: Been following the debate. I wonder your reaction, you know, Kevin Wash well, what is everyone getting wrong? And I say everyone, I mean the consensus for you on their reaction to that news conference last Wednesday.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to characterize as anyone's getting anything wrong or anything anyone's getting it right. What I'm going to characterize this as Kevin is a masterful student of the market.
Speaker 3: Kevin has been at the FED before.
Speaker 4: He understands the limited toolbox, but the effective toolbox that the FED has.
Speaker 3: What Kevin is.
Speaker 4: Doing right now, and I think people don't like this, is Kevin is reverting the FED to the historic norms of what the FED did. We, unfortunately, as newscasters or as market makers or as traders, we got spoiled from the eight period on. From eight period on, the FED has been an open box. They've been completely transparent. They have not done anything that you wouldn't know they would do hours or weeks or months before they did it, and the market became addicted to knowing what the FED was going to do.
Speaker 3: What Kevin is doing right now.
Speaker 4: He's trying to get the market off the addiction of me, the FED chairman and the FED board having to tell you what we're going to do, and.
Speaker 3: You the market and you participants.
Speaker 4: You should go and participate however you think it makes sense for you and wherever you think the opportunities are.
Speaker 3: This is a tough transition.
Speaker 4: People liked having the answers to the quiz before they took the test.
Speaker 2: So there's a market's question. I also think there's an economics question that needs to be addressed. The issue for us, I think is less about the lack of guidance, less about having the answers before the test, more about you've got an inflation problem, why you're not doing anything about it, which essentially was the Mike mckeak question in the news conference. Why are you waiting? What are you waiting for? Without giving us any real clarity on the preferred tool, why they're waiting, whether they're carry on waiting, and at the same time telling us to believe them that I do something about inflation. I think the economic question is the difficult one. To answer.
Speaker 3: Chairman Worrish is going out of his way.
Speaker 4: I mean he's literally going out of his way to tell you he is an inflation fighter, that the stable price mandate and the two percent inflation guide is his bell weather, and he's going there.
Speaker 3: He has limited tools to get there, as we know.
Speaker 4: In fact, he has said in the speech, I have two tools to help us get there. I can raise rates or I can sell down the balance sheet. Those are his two tools. Raising rates, as we know, will affect the overnight rate the Fed Fund. That has very little effect on the economy as a whole. The real effect on the economy is, let's say, let's call it a five to ten year bucket. That's where most people borrow. That's where consumers borrow. That's where credit cards are, and that's where student loans are, that's where automobile loans.
Speaker 3: Are, that's where mortgages are. Kevin knows that.
Speaker 4: What he's also telling you is right now, the market is doing its own work in steepening the yield curve. So in less than a year we have gone from a twos tens interest rate curve inverted about twenty basis points to positive forty basis points. We've moved sixty basis points in two tens rates. So Kevin is saying, look, the market is doing my job. They're making the ability to borrow money out on the curve more and more expensive, and it's going to continue to get more expensive. If I raise FED funds, yes, I can raise FED funds, I'm not sure that has the effect. I think what he would probably prefer to do is he'd prefer to sell down the balance sheet, which again would put more supply in the market, which would steep in the yield curve.
Speaker 3: But the market's doing that for him right now.
Speaker 4: So being in that chair for less than two months or about two months, but he happened to come in a funny time where a week and a half after he came in he had his first meeting, Then thirty days later he had a second meeting. He then tells you nothing happened in those thirty days. He's sitting here and I think he's a value waiting where he wants to be. He's lucky on the schedule. He doesn't have an August meeting. He does have Jackson Hole. He could tell us what's going on in Jackson Hole.
Speaker 3: So I think.
Speaker 4: Kevin wanted to probably get through those first two meetings make it clear to the market that he is an inflation fighter, make it clear to everyone who's watching that the market is doing much of what he would have tried to get accomplished early, and to have the month of August before the September meeting to come out and deliver a relatively baked plan. In his mind, He's not going to give you the baked plan, but he himself will have a highly baked plan.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the selloff in the long end of the yield curve is by design that what he saw after the FED meeting with thirty year rates going to the highest level since two thousand and seven, was a good thing.
Speaker 3: It's doing Kevin's jobs for him.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, if you want to slow down the economy and you want to tamp inflation, you have to make the cost of money more expensive. So if the thirty year rates weren't up, which they did, tenure rates went up in the front end of the curve basically stayed the same, which means we had a curve steepener. You are accomplishing what a FED chair would want to accomplish if you're trying to tamp down inflation and moderate I don't think it's just Kevin that's doing that. I mean, Kevin's being very realistic to what the environment is today. He knows the treasury barrings are going up every year. He also knows there's this enormous amount of need for debt in the AI compute data center world, where we're talking about potentially now the trillion dollars of issuance going on in the market day. The market is finding a home to clear these bonds. It's also raising longer term rates, it's putting.
Speaker 3: More risk premium into the curve.
Speaker 4: All things that Kevin is probably happy are happening without him having to do anything.
Speaker 1: Scott Bussett did something over the weekend, and I wonder how related you see this as the idea that there was a coordinated intervention In the end, some people are speculating it's because the Japanese financement is story with selling treasuries to finance their unilateral intervention and their currency and this could potentially help support US yields from going much higher. Do you believe there is any coordination between the two.
Speaker 3: Well, we know that the US and Japan court. I think no one's no one's a.
Speaker 1: Thirty year yields in the US and potentially what happened.
Speaker 4: I think there are multiple factors and why the US would have got involved in an intervention. Obviously the rate the trades that would force people into transactions where they may be selling US securities to buy at home.
Speaker 3: It also has to do trade balances.
Speaker 4: Remember, we've got administration that is fixated on trade deficits, so to the extent that you know, foreign products come into the United States below what we think is a market clearing price, or our products are extraordinarly expensive to someone that would we would like to sell to. There's a way to try and equal out the trade deficit the trade balance with the country as well. So I don't think it's a single factor model. I think when Scott Besson gets the phone call from the bank in Japan, he's evaluating all of these factories. He's evaluating what's going on in supplied demand of treasuries from foreigners, what's going on in the trade market, what's going on with the trade deficits, specifically with Japan, And each one of those has a different input into the equation to go ahead and move forward.
Speaker 2: No investant, it might have been the one that made the call, you know, sort of laser focused on these issues.
Speaker 1: Well, he has had an experience with that with the Bank of England, so why not bring it over to Japan.
Speaker 2: How frangile is the bank drop for markets right now? All these little things going on, tension in Japan, situational awareness, that fund getting into a bit of trouble in the last week too. How fragile do you think the bankdrop is?
Speaker 4: I don't know if the mark if I'd call it fragile, I would say we have as much instability or balls up.
Speaker 3: In the air as we've had.
Speaker 4: I mean, usually there's one or two driving factors in the market. Today, we've got a myriad of factors. You know, we've got the war going on, We've got the price of oil going on, we've got the major capex AI.
Speaker 3: Investment going on.
Speaker 4: And the question is you've taken some of the largest companies in America that historically have owned intellectual property and we're massive free cash flow generators, and then they recirculated that cash into the market, either by buying assets, buying other things, returning dividends, buying back shares. You've taken those companies and you've now made them huge, huge asset gathers, huge asset builders, and they're no longer creating free cash flow. In fact, it's the first time I can remember in the history of an earning's call of some of these largest companies when they're talking about we will stay positive on free cash flow. It's hard to understand that these are companies that we're producing tens of billions of dollars a quarter in free cash flow. So the market's digesting that we went through the software scare versus the AI scare. Markets digesting that we're trying to figure out where all these pieces come together. So there's an enormous amount of instability in the market at the same time rates are going up. But the consumer, we know the consumer continues to spend, spend, and spend. So even when you look at the GDP numbers, the strongest pieces in there are the consumer spending. Now, we could even go further. We know the consumer is spending, but we also know that's a bit of a bifurcated event. We know that the wealthier consumers in this country are consuming at extraordinary high levels, and we know that the low end consumer is barely getting by, and this is one of the dilemmas that everyone's trying to deal with. And how does this filter through markets? I think all of these pieces of instability are out there, and look, markets can handle one or two pieces of instability. They start to fail when it's three four and five, and they really fail when it's three four and five and they're totally out of their control. Or the answer is six to twelve to eighteen months off.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm trying to work out. How close now we So you've got a massive competition for capital you want circulate that really well, You've had a huge to trade shock at the energy market that's hitting Japan when they've already got a frenchile backdrop. On top of that, there's evidence of leverage building up in places like South Korea and hedge funds blowing up. And I wanted to go back to the very beginning of this conversation whether now is a good time to go back to the old world of reducing forward guidance in the handholding POSTGFC at central banks. How difficult will that mission be?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's difficult.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we've been trained since two thousand and eight to today to expect the FED to telegraph and for a guy prior to two thousand and eight, when I was trading for a living and running bigging trading desks, we did not know when the FED was going to move. There were surprise meetings after surprise meetings, after surprise meetings. You know, the FED doesn't have to wait for a scheduled meeting to cut or raise industrates. Now they have not done it really since the I guess they did in COVID. The last time they did it was twenty twenty. We had one hundred basis point cut on a Sunday evening in COVID, if you remember. But we've now guid in this point where the market insists not only there be a meeting, there'll be a meeting with a press conference. You can't have actions that there's a meeting with a press conference. I think the chair is trying to say, no, I have a job to do. We will meet whenever necessary to raise or lower rates. We will meet whenever necessary to do any action we need to do based on what's going on in the environment, not based on the schedule that I put out eighteen months in the air.
Speaker 2: Let's bringing the discipline back to capitalism and financial markets. I'm not averse to that at all, Just trying to work out the consequences of making the switch when you've been feasting gone easy money and forward guidance for fifteen sixteen years and knowing they're always going to be there to have your back and step in whenever there's a problem, and they'll off fee the guidance and so you're the way you put it, they'll give you the answers to the quiz before you sit the test. Wall Street's feasted on that.
Speaker 3: For years they have.
Speaker 2: That's why I use the word French out how much fragility is in the system that needs to be unwound as we make that transition back to the world.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's as much fragility as you think.
Speaker 4: Like I said, most of my career trading I had the opposite world.
Speaker 2: You had the two way discipline you HaDin.
Speaker 3: I had to be disciplined.
Speaker 4: I had to assume when I went home with the position or I made a price for something. And I ran a big mortgage business for a while. Man ran a big treasury business for a while, ran a big at christ business. I had to assume that the FED could meet any moment and change policy, and were we trading appropriately? We're we're managing risk appropriately instead of saying, oh, I don't have to worry about because that there's a FED put or rates can't change until September something. Now, because there's no FED meeting, maybe they'll say something in Jackson Hall. So I'll manage my risk up till the Jackson Hole meeting. I'll wait for that, then I'll manage my risk differently after that.
Speaker 3: That's not the way markets should work.
Speaker 4: The markets should manage themselves in a way that anything is possible on any given day.
Speaker 2: I hope we got back to that world. I just know that when the guard tried that, we're not here to close breads. Look God quickly closed spreads straight afterwards. Right. It's difficult to make the transition.
Speaker 1: The question, and I think you're alluding to it, John, how much has the financial market changed and debt built up under the old regime that has to be unwound in a period of a new regime that potentially is much less transparent but allows markets to do their things.
Speaker 4: Did you write the pace, Gary, I did not write these that said, you know, there are an enormous amount of hedging tools today. So as you see debt move up and you see the private credit markets explosed, which has been very helpful.
Speaker 3: You know, you can head your interest rate exposure.
Speaker 4: You can't hedge your credit exposure as much, but heaving underlying interest rate exposure happens to be one of the most developed markets in the world. You can hedge interest rate exposure in almost virtually every currency that we issue bonds in today, So managing interest rate exposure is not hard. Now people have historically said, well I know exactly what the Fed's going to do.
Speaker 3: I don't need to manage this.
Speaker 4: That's probably not a good outcome. It's probably a better outcome when people will look at their risk and say, my interest rate risk is x AM I happy with that or not not? Oh, I don't really care because the Fed's got my back.
Speaker 2: Gary cond toalt you all day. I appreciate it, Thank you, Thank you very much. Gary Conere, the IBM Vice chair