Speaker 1: Why did you put your hand in front of my face? Because I'm not prepared tack to the hand because the face ain't listening.
Speaker 2: I'm not prepared.
Speaker 1: That's nineties, you know, I know.
Speaker 2: It is. I love that it makes you laugh when I just cut that off. This is it's so violent all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: It's like Serial Killers podcast done well.
Speaker 2: I mean, if there's a whole other verse or two or.
Speaker 1: Three and I was just kind of that's like a minute and a half intro.
Speaker 2: It takes up a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what's going on Andrew? You know, not much, just living the dream as always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, welcome to episode thirty six of Serial Killers. That's serial Killers with a C. It's the podcast where we talk about cereal and we think inside the box.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the tagline we're going with Scott's suggestion.
Speaker 2: You still don't like that to you? You know, it's something you know someone's gonna say, I've been using that for twenty years. You stole it.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for other serial places, like podcasts, the YouTube channel to all reach out to us and be like, listen, you gotta stop because you took our idea.
Speaker 2: We don't really do any research? No, I mean I was so excited when I thought of serial Killers with a C. Yeah, and then it's like all over the place. Yeah, oh well, but I thought of it though without doing research. So it's my idea it is.
Speaker 1: You did do something, Scott. Good for you.
Speaker 2: You know what, before we start this episode, I would like to take a trip. Would you like to take a trip where? Come take a trip with me?
Speaker 1: Serial Killers visits the Cereal Grave? What the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: We're taking a trip to the serial graveyard?
Speaker 1: What are you doing with Stacks to literally go with him and just for cored things and then surprise me with the audio.
Speaker 2: It's a new feature that I'd like to introduce grave Cereal Graveyard. Okay, remember we went back to visit Rocky Road. We visited them in the graveyard. Now we've mentioned this series.
Speaker 1: Do we actually have Rocky Road Cereal?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: They don't have made it since the eighties?
Speaker 1: So am I trying the cereal?
Speaker 2: No, we're just going we're just reminiscing. So I'm okay, okay, this is a reminiscing segment.
Speaker 1: I mean, out of all your bits, I don't know if this song's going to Stirk, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Like playing old commercials. So this is a cereal from the mid eighties. It only lasted for about a year or two. I've spoken about it before. You always cringe and gag when I say it, because you're like image and milk Bah. So Joe is from OJ Cereal. Okay, you remember OJ's. Kellogg's made OJ's in around nineteen eighty five or so. Again, I don't remember. I was born in nineteen ninety one. I say you remember because I've told you about it. Yes, it was a cereal that I really liked, and it went away. And this was the commercial from when it was new oj outft there's och Joe ground it up oranges for Kelloggs where they'll take their sweet juice and put it into new OJ's, a crunch of delicious orange taste and cereals eat them up. There is.
Speaker 3: Oh JS You're back with Vitam and see part of his complete breakfast orange Tasted cereal about now.
Speaker 2: There weren't too many commercials for OJ's because it didn't last very long, but I liked it as a kid. There were loops kind of like you know fruit loop shape, and there were balls, which I guess we're supposed to be oranges, and you know OJ Joe, and the commercial would brand the oranges with Ojo. No.
Speaker 1: I mean branding oranges sounds real explicit.
Speaker 2: I don't you suck what you suck? It was a good cereal. I liked it.
Speaker 1: Again, you're probably the only person that would enjoy orange and milk together.
Speaker 2: It's not true because it was actually an online position. There was actually an online petition.
Speaker 1: You can't you sugar strokes. I know you can't. I know what you're gonna do. You're gonna try and edit this in post production, because can I tell you? I listened back to the episode sometimes and all of a sudden it'll go from you like and that's one I said, Like, you clearly are in post production adding new lines in and you don't think I'm gonn to notice.
Speaker 2: But I do. Okay. There was actually an online petition to bring back OJ's many years ago.
Speaker 1: Five people signed it and it was like, suck it.
Speaker 2: So sorry, you need five.
Speaker 1: Different accounts email I can spam it.
Speaker 2: Will you turn your phone over please? Because it really angers me when you just look at your phone. You don't look at me.
Speaker 1: Millennial all right?
Speaker 2: Where do you want to go classic or new? Andrew? I let you choose.
Speaker 1: Can I say one thing?
Speaker 2: You may so.
Speaker 1: You literally just wasted the first five minutes of our podcast talking about OJ's when you've talked about OJ's on other episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this time I got to play the commercial and the fun jingle that we had made. Great.
Speaker 1: Just go with the classic, all right.
Speaker 2: Classic cereal. Here we go down to the cereal sack.
Speaker 1: Waste my time?
Speaker 2: All right, don't look, Andrew, it's a secret.
Speaker 1: I'm it's a giant box that says checks on it. It's not really, but you don't know what flavor it is. I'm gonna go with chocolate because the box is brown.
Speaker 2: It is chocolate checks.
Speaker 1: I okay, chocolate.
Speaker 2: Checks are delicious. I love chocolate check. What do you make it? What's the face for? What's the cringe face?
Speaker 1: To me? It has always been just checks mix and checks?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of checks mix, did you know that in the nineties, Okay, okay, there was no such thing as checks mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You actually had to make it and assemble it yourself. It was called Check's party mix. So they basically had rice checks, wheat checks, and corn checks, and there was a like a seasoning path that you would get. Okay, you would mix it all together yourself, and that was your Che's party mix.
Speaker 1: That's not cool.
Speaker 2: And here's a commercial when it was endorsed by the Peanuts.
Speaker 3: What the Check's Party Mix is for the Jess?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: Great, don't worry yet, so easy, we can make more ten minutes. I can't even make toasts. Just mix up the Checks in this evening, shake it in a bag and pop it in the Microway, they're not coming. We can't eat the Checks Party mix. Ah, right, Checks Party It's so easy, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Charlie Brown.
Speaker 1: There, I know what Charlie Brown is.
Speaker 2: Well, so yeah, they were endorsers for Checks Party Mix, the Peanuts Gang.
Speaker 1: I love it. I just think it's weird. The Check's mix used to just come as like, here's a bag of seasoning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make it yourself, put in the microwave. I don't understand it. What do you want warm Checks mix for?
Speaker 1: Why would I want warm and pretzels? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well no, there was no pretzels back then. It was just Check cereal and seasonings and one of them you could throw peanuts into. No one was allergic to peanuts back then.
Speaker 1: Such a millennial thing. You're not even allergic to peanuts, all right? So can I re say peanuts because I said penuts?
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry. I don't edit anything in post production.
Speaker 1: Well, I said peanuts, peanuts, peanuts, peanuts. Put one of those in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So chocolate checks first introduced in two thousand and seven. So that's why we're gonna call it classic.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking forward to this. I'm just gonna say it.
Speaker 2: Check's currently available in blueberry, cinnamon corn. We had blueberry, right, yeah, honey nut peanut butter, which we had loved peanut butter that it could be one of my top five favorite currant cereals, rice, vanilla, corn, and wheat checks the only one that's not gluten free.
Speaker 1: You would keep a log of your top five favorite cereals at the moment.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, dude? This is a cereal podcast. Of course I know what my top five favorite cereals are.
Speaker 1: Do you answer thinks are just going wrong at Cereal killers heads today? I don't. I could just see you keeping a diary. Today is August ninth. My favorite cereals in order are wine checks, with chocolate.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you just gave away the date that we're recording this, so people are going to be able to figure out how long it actually goes until it airs.
Speaker 1: Well, how many times do we say we pre record and just keep things in the can?
Speaker 2: I know? But okay, now we're behind the velvet ropes. Let's get back in front of the ropes and eat some chocolate checks.
Speaker 1: When are you scary Jones? Let's get me in front of the velvet ropes.
Speaker 2: By the way, you were wondering while I'm pouring here, some discontinued varieties of checks. Raisin bran checks, I would do that, sugar frosted checks at frocinum in checks, oat checks, brand checks, gram checks, and strawberry checks. I feel like I might like the strawberry ones.
Speaker 1: Rachel Ray is playing right now. She's making a jalapeno something for Tata. This looks delicious.
Speaker 2: It really looks nauseating.
Speaker 1: How does it look nausea eating?
Speaker 2: Hey, here's your one percent milk and your chocolate checks. And the one thing I really do like about chocolate checks is it makes delicious milk delicious.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've heard a lot of things about chocolate check, So I'm excited to finally try it.
Speaker 2: You've never had chocolate checks now since two thousand and seven when it was introduced, you've never had chocolate checks.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't had chocolate check since it was introduced in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: But you do know that before we did this podcast, I used to have cereal in here all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you must have tried it.
Speaker 2: It's something.
Speaker 1: No, I am a creature of habit. If I like something, I only do what I like. Like I only started eating cheese, like on a cheese plate like three years ago. Really, yeah, mozzadel or mozzarella mozzarella.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We used to go, like, there's a really great Italian deli by us.
Speaker 2: All right, let's eat.
Speaker 1: Okay, just cut off my story one more time. Thank you. Here we go.
Speaker 2: It's really chocolatey, Yeah, really good, naturally flavored chocolate. I'll give it three bowls. Look at all that cocoa powder.
Speaker 1: I'm just half and half on it. It's good. Three bowls. I'm not going to give it anything higher.
Speaker 2: Four bowls from me.
Speaker 1: It's last like almost like chocolate powder mix that you would.
Speaker 2: Put for hot cocoa. Yeah, that's what the powder looks like on there. Yeah, you know, I apologize. I'd like to hear the rest of your Italian deli story.
Speaker 1: Oh so yeah, we used to get really like fresh cheese and then like muzadel to put on like pasta and everything. I'd be like, that's discussing. I'll never eat that, But then I did, and I'm like, how did I waste twenty five years of my life not eating this? So you never had like baked zd or no, I would eat it like that. But if you just had like a muziel out, it's like cut and put on my bread fresh.
Speaker 2: Oh I had that last night.
Speaker 1: See, up until I was like twenty four to twenty five, never ever touched it.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't eat it on bread. I just eat it. Oh my god, may eat tomatoes. What do you call that? But wait a minute, this is a cereal podcast, So let's move on on to the new Cereal. Okay, I'm gonna call it new. It came out in twenty eighteen. Still new, yeah, you know, year old or so there's already been like a bastard cousin of the cereal came out this year called Catacorn. Cereal.
Speaker 1: Do we all that?
Speaker 2: I don't think I had caticorn in here, but I have had this one before we started the podcast. You may or may not have tried it. Cooper flipped out for it because there's a freaking unicorn on it. Oh, I just gave it away, Kellogg's Unicorn cereal. Here I go down to the cereal set.
Speaker 1: I think Kellogg's really needs to just think about what they're naming the cereals. It annoys me that they don't even give you a hint of what the cereal is anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, magic cupcake? What it's magic cupcake flavor? Wait?
Speaker 1: Can I see this?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: All right, there's a fun thing on the side. All right, So let's find out what your unicorn name is?
Speaker 2: What's mine?
Speaker 1: Okay? So your s So you're.
Speaker 2: Fancy fancy, I was born in August.
Speaker 1: Spirit dancer.
Speaker 2: I'm fancy spirit dancer.
Speaker 1: Beautiful?
Speaker 2: What are you, Andrew?
Speaker 1: I'm mystic nimble flower. Wow, that's beautiful it is.
Speaker 2: I already forgot my name?
Speaker 1: Your spirit?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Miss your spirit nimble dancer?
Speaker 2: No, I'm a spirit what I'm fancy spirit dancer?
Speaker 1: Oh not nimble watch? Oh my god? Your hoofs are beautiful, They're very sparkly. Your main is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Now this is a limited edition. It's probably gonna be gone pretty soon because it's been out for over a year. So this is probably just a leftover box that I've found in Target.
Speaker 1: They literally have the most generic unicorn on the box. It's like somebody went to like the most basic image site and then we're like, hey, here's a clip art of a unicorn. Go.
Speaker 2: I totally want to color the back, though I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't know, because that always bothers me. It's like coloring books. Once you color in a coloring book, there's no purpose for it anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, scottis shake, there's different colors.
Speaker 1: No, And this is cupcake flavor.
Speaker 2: It says it's Magic Cupcake Flavor, naturally flavored, So I don't understand what that means, but you know it's it's a fruit loop mold, so it's you know, they look like fruit loops with some little ooh, with some I want to smell oh, with some little sparkly sprinkle on them.
Speaker 1: Pour it from me, Spirit Dancer, what's your name?
Speaker 2: I remember? I don't want to look at the chart again.
Speaker 1: Majestic Spirit dancer. I'm nimble, flower. I think you're very nimble.
Speaker 2: Let's see where the sugar is on here? Oh, sugar is the first ingredient.
Speaker 1: Good unicorn Cereal? Yeah, unicorn, but like it annoys me. Like again, Captain Crunch, I expect Crunch life Cereal. I mean, I guess life is life because I'm just looking at our cereal wall fruit loops loops that are fruity. Raisin brand is like raisins with flakes. This is just unicorn. There's no taste of a unicorn.
Speaker 2: I've tasted a unicorn before.
Speaker 1: Oh you have how high were you was that during your LSD phase?
Speaker 2: Here we go. There's a chunk on this one.
Speaker 1: Oh god, straight up toothpaste.
Speaker 2: No it doesn't taste like toothpaste.
Speaker 1: Yeah it does. That's disgusting. That gets one bowl from me.
Speaker 2: I don't know where they get the cupcake pst.
Speaker 1: I hate it. This is disgusting.
Speaker 2: This is disgusting, and you hate it. Give it nothing, no one bowl. Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm saving the spoon because again my spoon went to what was that peanut butter chocolate cheerios That to me was straight up ass. This is like bad but it's not like taco powder bad.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go right along with you and give it a bawl because I wouldn't. I wouldn't eat this again. I don't even wou'd even buy for my kids.
Speaker 1: Again, there's like sugary toothpaste when you're a kid, Like, here's cars toothpaste. This is what that tastes like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cooper uses watermelon toothpaste.
Speaker 1: That's what this tastes like.
Speaker 2: All right, well, okay, sorry Kellogg's, you lost there, but let's move on to the classic. Why didn't wait a minute?
Speaker 1: And also Kellogg's, I'm just gonna put this into you call it unicorn loops or call it like unicorn hoops or something, but just don't call it unicorn cereal because it pisses me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's almost done because it's limited.
Speaker 1: Good, so let's move on serial killers? Who recorded that one? And also you spit on me? Did you did?
Speaker 2: Was it a sprinkle? Yes?
Speaker 1: I have it on my arm. Look at that, that's your saliva on my arm.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is it? Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Let me go down to the cereal sack for the bonus box.
Speaker 1: How many of those. Did you have stacks?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: Oh? Something just fell? All right? So this is a General Mills creation, great from the early nineties. It came out. It probably came out the year you were born.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: I don't really understand why they call it this. You've probably never even heard or seen of it before, even though it's in all the stores, but it's usually on the top shelf because you know, no one wants it. Yeah, so this is from General Mills. It's called Basic four. Okay, I've never seen this, You've never seen it before? No, Oh, okay, this looks interesting. Well, it's great tasting and heart healthy, and it fills you up and satisfies you longer.
Speaker 1: Satisfies a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a Scottish because it's got sweet, tangy fruit and almonds. Multi grain cereal with fruit and almonds.
Speaker 1: Is that one of those words that you could say five different ways? Almond almond?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the L I guess is kind of silent, but it's it's almond almonds. Almond almond is almond is the proper pronunciation, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moving on, So it's got heart tasty, what's oh hearty? It's got hardy, mart tasty. It's got hearty, tasty almonds, delicious, crispy multi grain flakes, sweet and tangy raisins, and dried cranberries and crunchy rice puffs. Basic for the taste cannibals love. But see, these look like yogurt covered things, but they're not. I don't know what that is. I see, yeah, unless those are just you know, mutant rice puffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're mutant rice buffs.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, like this is just a boring cereal. Really, yeah, it looks like trail mix the cereal.
Speaker 2: It really needs a shake because all stuff settled on bottom.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, there I go.
Speaker 2: I'm actually kind of surprised that a kind of no name serio like this has lasted since the nineties early nineties.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, who's eating Basic four.
Speaker 2: I guess enough people buy it.
Speaker 1: I just want to meet them. I just have a couple questions I have to ask you.
Speaker 2: Well, you really don't the distribution here is really not that great because you weren't really get any raisins or anything.
Speaker 1: So I'm just getting flakes.
Speaker 2: No, maybe don't like here, you can have it. Oh, we're out of milk. Oh wait a second, you bought.
Speaker 1: More milk hold on which you criticized me for.
Speaker 2: Andy fat free? Yes, doing that anymore is what I thought we weren't doing fat free milk anymore.
Speaker 1: Isn't that like one percent?
Speaker 2: Thanks Farmland, So it's.
Speaker 1: Farmland's fault and my fault. All right, you got a lot of angry you got to work out, dude. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's for me. It looks like different kind of flakes in.
Speaker 1: Here too, any one? Two three? I don't even know. If I got a raisin.
Speaker 2: What if there are more raisins in it, it'd be really close to a raisin brand type cereal.
Speaker 1: It just feels like a lot is A lot is in my mouth when I take a spoonful.
Speaker 2: The flakes are weird, weird crunchiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're hard. They're really really like difficult. So when you first chew them, it's like they're not soggier like a raisin brand gets, or like a Whaedies gets. It's like a full on crunch of whatever flake they're using.
Speaker 2: On a second, that white thing is like a yogurt covered something. I think, look, what is that is that? The cranberry?
Speaker 1: Oh? It is oh my god, it's yogurt covered.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's a yogurt covered cranberry. Doesn't say it.
Speaker 1: Anyone, No, it's not a cranberry.
Speaker 2: Really. Yeah, well that's not on the box. It's messed up.
Speaker 1: This is new Basic four.
Speaker 2: It's a brand new day, and in order to make the most of it, you need to start out with a good, wholesome breakfast. Good thing. You've got Basic four, a complex blend of ingredients like crispy flakes made with whole grain, sweet and tangy fruits and hardy almonds. It's a combination that is simply irresistible.
Speaker 1: Two balls in a spoon.
Speaker 2: Three balls in a spoon for me. I don't think it's bad.
Speaker 1: It's not that it's bad. It's just trail mix.
Speaker 2: There's way too many flakes. There needs to be other things in it, way too many flakes. Little rice things don't belong in there either.
Speaker 1: No, it's just like remember when we did the healthy cereal that Anthony suggested, and you said that, like, what makes granola different than like the granola cereals? What makes this different than trail mix?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not trail mix. How I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's granola in it.
Speaker 2: There's no flakes and trail mix. There could be no, there can't. Yeah, that definition, there can't. Why because you can't take flakes on the trail? Who said the granola people on the West Coast. I don't know. We gotta go. Thanks for listening The serial Killers. Did you rate it? You gave it a rating?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two bows and okay cool.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. It's episode thirty six and you are the best. Please follow us on Twitter serial Killers PC. That's Cereal with the C and like us on Facebook serial Killers PC because we're there too.
Speaker 1: Yes, and make sure you hit the subscribe button wherever you're listening. We're now everywhere, literally everywhere. Stitch your tune in, iHeart, Google, Apple, hit the subscribe button. New episodes come out, they get sent straight to your phone. We appreciate it. Leaf five stars if you like.
Speaker 2: There's a weird film on the milk from the Unicorn cereal.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is a science experiment. Doctor B. Bring this to your lab.
Speaker 2: That must be all the sugar first ingredient.
Speaker 1: This was nasty.
Speaker 2: All right, we're out. Thanks for listening. Have a wonderful week or weekend, depending on what day, this says, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well it's August ninth, and Scott doesn't want me to say that, but it's August ninth.
Speaker 2: Well, today is August ninth, You idiot. You're going to confuse people because this is probably gonna be on like the twentieth I hate you whatever, all right, thanks for listening, Love you. Serial killers out until we see you again. Crunch, What are you, Ryan.
Speaker 1: Se Chris serial killers out? Crunch, Crunch, No, seriously, what was that?
Speaker 2: I don't know