Speaker 1: Be back out there with the guys. Often seems like they're they're rolling defense too. I think we're just we're on track.
Speaker 2: It's the stage in your career. What what does training camp mean to you? What are these early days? What do you trying to accomplish?
Speaker 1: Really, it's it's it's about getting back into football shape, getting back with the guys, and making sure that everyone's on the same page, working together. And you also kind of build a little bit of a callous just against you know, like the little hits, the little you know, dings and bumps and bruises that football brings.
Speaker 3: With.
Speaker 2: However, things I'm fullded with Spencer or Feliciano. There's a chance that you might have a rookie right guard next to you like you did two years ago when Spencer came in.
Speaker 3: What have you seen out of Pune and how you playing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think everyone in the room can play, and that's that's why they're here, you know. You know, I think that you know, the coaching staff wants the best player to be out there and we and we as players do too. And we're definitely seeing a few different bodies their right guard just right now. D to injuries and that sort of thing. But you know, one thing's for sure, first is going to have the best the best guy out there for.
Speaker 2: Us take there's a lot of good depth. As you said in the room, you're a veteran. Is it a competitive situation or do you feel like you are the knowledgeable guy who can impart some wisdom to some of the young guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's always competition. That's just the nature of the league. I feel like as soon as you get comfortable and complacent, that's when you lose your position and you lose your spot. But at the same time, I'm not going to be one of those vets that is not an open book. It is not going to help the young guys because as a group, we need to succeed and as a group, we need to be as best as we can be, and being kind of selfish and just worrying about myself wouldn't be the best move to get to our end goal.
Speaker 3: Rock Party talked about how he's finally getting the benefit of a full offseason. How much can you him both benefit from that all those reps together.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's I mean it's great, right, Like anytime you bank a rep. That's that's that's one less you have to do in a game setting in practice, right, so every single snap we take is full speed, you know, and and it's it's just one one more thing that he can add to his resume and his repertoire. And you know, I just feel like he's he's still young. Even though he's playing at such a high level, he's still a young player. So having the ability to have reps, uh this early in his career and not getting hit in games all the time, getting those reps is really perfect for him.
Speaker 2: Seem should ask you the question, does he seem like a young player? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, No, for sure. No. I mean I've I've said this countless times now. The guy, even when he first came in in the first game that he was playing for us, he just demands attention, demands your best and he's just a natural leader. You know, you don't really see that from young guys like he doesn't. He doesn't have like a young player.
Speaker 3: You see some of those benefits of getting those extra reps? Do you see those on the field already?
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, for sure. You know, there's there's there's a lot of tricky things that quarterbacks have to do that. It's it's not just uh, second nature. It really needs to be drilled. It needs to be repped in order for you to get the timing down and like the spacing down and being able to see the route tree in your head before the ball snaps. All that stuff is not just natural. Yeah, you definitely have to work to make sure you're good at that.
Speaker 3: So that it means last year without any reps, were you pretty surprised at how well he operated in week one with no reps up.
Speaker 1: Until that point, I mean, he was, he was. He was definitely taking reps when he could. And luckily, our you know, ours, our scout offense runs a lot of the same route trees that our normal offense does in practice, so he was getting reps. They just weren't with the same players. But yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say surprised, because even the first day he showed up, I definitely knew he was a special kid. But I was just really just impressed by it.
Speaker 2: Jake, how would you describe your relationship with Fred Warner?
Speaker 1: Well, at least the first couple of weeks of camp. You know, it's it's a lot of just me and him hitting each other, which is fun, you know. You know, eventually we move on from the Mike declared runs to more will and more Sam declared runs, so it becomes more balanced of who I'm hitting. But a lot of it's just me and Fred right now, which is fun, you know, and he knows it and I know it right So anytime he hears fifty four come out of my mouth, that's usually a collision between us two.
Speaker 2: Is it more the physical competition or is there a mental game too between you and him.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of a mental game, but that's that's more between me and the defensive lineman. You know, it's not He's just luckily defensive end or defenses have changed the past like they were, like with the Luke Keigley defenses, like the mic could completely change the defense depending on what he saw. I think now it's more of a schematic thing. So I'm more just messing with the guys close closer to me than the Mike linebacker.
Speaker 2: He's a very vocal guy on the on the field. How do you compact that?
Speaker 1: You know, you have to be vocal back when it's when it's the proper time, you know, Uh, you know, I feel like anytime there's a first down and make sure he knows it. But other than that, you know, just little things, little jabs here and there.
Speaker 2: He's you know, at it has been an all pro level, Yeah, for three year on pros. Do you does it help you? You know, to challenge him and vice versa where you know, you feel like you've got to give him your best to make him better and going back the other way from him to you.
Speaker 1: Oh, for sure, for sure. I mean iron sharpens iron. That's that's that's something that I've believed in since I was I was first in the league. You know, going going half speed, getting half speed reps against you know, players that aren't going to be the players that you see on Sundays. That's just not going to be as ben as beneficial as playing against guys that you know are the best of the best. You know. The fact that I'm battling arguably the best Mike linebacker in the league every every single practice, that's that's that's just I mean that that that just makes me better, which is great.
Speaker 2: The guys are going against on the D line have have largely changed over this year.
Speaker 3: You have any any thoughts about the composition of the defensive tackles. I mean, there seemed to be a lot of.
Speaker 1: Big, sort of shorter stature guys suddenly on this team.
Speaker 2: Where maybe last year than one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't I don't think the size is really you know, the main factor. I think a lot of it has to do with just their athleticism and ability to do what coach Casurreic wants them to do. I feel like they all have great get off. They all have great strength and explosiveness, and that's really all you need, you know, besides just relentless effort in this defense. So you know, I feel like they're all they're all really good players, you know, I think, Uh, I mean I was. I was. I was with Collins in Dallas my rookie year, so it's kind of cool being reunited with that guy. But you know, I think, I honestly just what I've seen so far where we haven't really lost a step at that position yet. I mean, he's he's he's great. The fact that he's that big, but he can move so quickly in such fast twitch I mean, I feel like he's he's gonna be a great compliment to what uh heart, what what hard Graave can do?
Speaker 3: So you go against gross mottos at all when he lines up inside?
Speaker 1: Not not too much of yet. Yeah, so I don't. I don't know too too much about him.
Speaker 2: Yet for uh first time pather on on Monday, whether you're clear to do that or not. But what's that like for alignment to finally get him on after six months off?
Speaker 1: Honestly you would you would You would think that like a football player would want, you know, less pads and less impacts. But pads to us as offensive linemen, it it gives us a steering wheel. It gives them so uh stuff to hang on to makes our jobs easier, you know. And and I'm not I'm not saying we hold on every on every single play, but stuff is definitely happening. So uh, you know, just being able to uh you know, go full s full speed and get actual full speed reps will be good. What did what advice?
Speaker 3: If you give them Trent on his contract hold off?
Speaker 1: I don't know if he should be taking it from me, but you know, I think he's a great player. We obviously want him here, and you know, I just hope they can work something out.
Speaker 2: Oh good, guys, thank you,