Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right Lauren, Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Laura Rosa and this is another episode of the Latest with Laura Rosa. This is Delily Did on all things pop culture, entertainment, news and all of the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 2: Baby now joining us today.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let them introduce themselves because I don't even know if I'm going to get it all the way right and do it in the style, in the format, especially not for the first person I'm gonna throw to, who happens to be sitting next to a pool smoking on a nice level, a little blunt here, Okay, the rest of us are we look like we're in cubicles or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know, I have I have two special guests here with me today.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into a conversation about filmmaking, independent filmmaking, UH, the comedy, horror scene, and where things are evolving to because we have a special project that we will be presenting to you guys exclusively here at the Latest. So without further ado, do all you want to take the floor, introduce yourself to the people. This's your first time on my podcast.
Speaker 3: I appreciate being on here, man, I've always I couldn't wait to get on it because I see you doing your thing, you bubbling that, so I figure I want to get on while you're taking off, you know, and it's a perfect time.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Now talk to me a bit, because I mean, we know you Duvall as comedian, actor, social media commentator, Like, what do you call what you doing social?
Speaker 3: I call this the Duvall effect. I do what most people don't do. You know what I'm saying. I'm like a trail blazer that there wasn't nobody did what I did before. So that's why it's hard to kind of put me in a box because you know, I create the lane. But now moving on to being like a producer like on my Tyler period, Marlon Wayne's type all the Wayne's brother type thing, and I'm doing it with my man Eric over Swirl because you know, you might as well get with somebody that's already been in the game, already on they things. So I figured we put our hands together, we can come out and take this to a whole nother level.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And you mentioned Eric.
Speaker 1: We have Eric here as well Swell Films. Talk to me as a bit about you, Swell Films and how you got teamed up with Little Duval and figuring out this new horror that we're bringing to theater.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think the team up is organic. We did a comedy special with Little Duval a few years back. I'm a producer here in Atlanta, Georgia, make a lot of TV movies and a lot of independent films, and it was just time. We were looking for something that could capture Duval everything that we see Duvall do on Instagram with Erica and Jay Ski, and we just wanted more of those moments, you know, and you just get those quick little bites. So we were like, what could be a vehicle where we could see more of that? And so we created this horror comedy where some people play themselves. Some people actually play characters in the you know, in like money Back Mafia plays Eric the t bone in there, Duval, Eric and Jaski play themselves. So that that became the vehicle that we used to bring it out to the world.
Speaker 1: Talk to me a bit about the long line and the premise of the film, right, because it's called Camp Duvall. Everybody come in and hang out and then things get a little crazy, which is very Duval esque. But I mean it's like getting crazy crazy, right, Like you have a plot that there's there's blood, there's screams, there's all the things.
Speaker 2: So talk to me a bit about you know what the story is.
Speaker 3: It's just people dying and stuff. You know, we're trying to hope they don't die. You know, it ain't that much stought. We don't want to make it like it's gonna be a deep movie like we black.
Speaker 2: People die in horror films.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's all that matter.
Speaker 3: People die, we laugh, they have a good time, and luckily you don't die while watching it.
Speaker 2: Why why this genre?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know right now, like I think a lot of people are doing and dabbling and I know a little real we just saw what happened with scary movie and they're come back to the box office like for Duval.
Speaker 2: Why do you stick get your toe in this right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I've always been in the scared movies. I like, I've always been getting masks and stuff. I don't know I probably wore up there at the breakfast club before, but I wear masks all the time, so I naturally it was a horror film freak. And then it was just I just felt like it's a good thing for me to transition to horror films and I adapt to anything. I mean, and when you do horror films, you can't. Really, It's just fun to me. I've been doing it. I've been doing watching horror films my whole life. I feel like everybody, all my followers have so they understand, they understand my path, my journey, and it's just another part of my journey when I moved into Camp Douvall.
Speaker 5: When I first moved to Camp Duval, we.
Speaker 3: Were scared as hell. We thought it was all types of ghost here. So I just put that in the movie. And here we are.
Speaker 1: Talk a bit about the Camp Duval in real life though, because I know a part of well, I know personally from just listening to you do interviews and following you on social that Camp Douval in real life has come with a lot of life experience for you. So tell us about that and how, if anything from your real life experience living on Kim Duval bringing people there went into making it funny in this movie.
Speaker 3: Well, well for the movie, it's it's not so much for the movie, it's more all the night side of Camp Duvald, well Cam Duval in the daytime, it's like to bring my family, my people, my my ecosyster to my tribe. They all got a place, a sanctuary where they can come vibe. Even people like you. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You come over here.
Speaker 3: You know, all my people's over Charlemagne ain't been here yet, but Dolly has, you know what I'm saying. So anybody that's in my people that I love or that I want to help, they come over here and they get to they get to express themselves, they get to relieve, they relieve theyself or whatever they want to do, you know what I'm saying. So that's really what it is, and it's been growing to do that. And it's a platform for artists to come showcase their talent too. That's why did the Waterfall showcase, to showcase talent that I think that that that that can go to the next level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that the last video I saw you posted at the Waterfall. You had just dropped your daughter off to college, right, you were celebrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying celebrating my daughter getting dropped off of college. I had dropped my daughter off the tuestkig and shut out the test skigy t you you know type ship.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But I went down there, and you know, I went down there and saw the saw the little boys. They look older than me, them cute doll niggas, you know they and then they talked about Then I posted, talked to shit about it.
Speaker 5: It's like, no, we're not like that.
Speaker 3: Then my daughter posts a video she had a at a college party and all I see them niggas chanting is take that ruball.
Speaker 5: Fuck their whole meat, the meat, meat, the meat.
Speaker 1: That's what they are. They Greek the boys I was hitting at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was the same niggas.
Speaker 1: I was about that because when I saw and this is why I wanted to talk about your real life. Can't do vall in your experiences because I don't know if people get it. But like when I everything is like a film with you. When I saw you was dropping your daughter off to college, I was like, I know that alone was the whole experience, because it's a lot that you got to understand about the different Greeks, the different exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, Yea, did you see the kappas too, all the strolling and the chimmy.
Speaker 3: All I saw is some goddamn gold boots and them gold boots. See, I got a lot of friends, a cute dog, and I know how freaking them niggas is. And see and they right there with my daughter, and I can't have that. So she gonna see me a lot this this semester. She definitely gonna see me a lot. I'm popping up.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you stay busy because this this movie's coming and you can't let her have.
Speaker 2: A We're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna this is how I'm gonna do it. Matter of fact, We're gonna do this here. We're gonna do a premiere down there to Skiky too, just for a reason to be down.
Speaker 5: I love it. I'm doing. I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: See how I intertwined my my career and my real life all in the one. That's how I've been doing my whole life. Man, that's a good idea for I'm doing that.
Speaker 2: We're doing that, No, for real, because the HBCUs I went to.
Speaker 1: I didn't go to Ski up the Delaware state, but HBCUs are like a real like when they behind you, they behind you, so.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna When I was down there, it really felt like family. Like I ain't never go to college, but I used to fake like I went to college. When I moved to Atlanta, I think like I went to Morris Brown. People to this day still think I went there, but I was lying. But but when I went on stepped on Tuskeg, it felt like I was on heal, mean, like on a different world. Like it just felt like and the people felt I don't know if because I'm me, you know, they always gonna show he the love. But even from the outside looking there, it just felt like it was it was a very family oriented college. And that's what I like about it, and my daughter liked it so far.
Speaker 1: Not too no, It's just it's like, I mean, all HBC's HBCUs are historical, but Tuskegee has such a.
Speaker 2: History to it as well too.
Speaker 1: It's like it's a very prestigious to be able to say that you are a Tuskegee you know student.
Speaker 5: Now, if I can just get a discount.
Speaker 2: Shit, I don't know about no discount, but I.
Speaker 5: Did a discount on my daughter to college too.
Speaker 2: Isshit, it don't work like that.
Speaker 5: I needed to work like that. Shit.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Okay, we're gonna go in the discount. We're gonna talk about some money. Let's talk about the businesusiness behind this. Eric, you probably can get into this a bit, Duval. I mean it's independence. So I'm sure you know too. A lot more common nowadays that people that have a platform like a Duval, who can get straight to the consumer and have been doing it for years, are like, I want to go right to I want to put this out myself. You see Country Wayne doing it and it has had a lot of success there as well. To talk about the business behind staying independent when you have built a platform our family like we do vaus talking about everywhere you go, I.
Speaker 4: Think that's what's important, right. And we shot this movie last year, so we shot it really pre the success of all of the box office films that came from creators, whether it was Iron Lug, Obsession, Back Rooms that was really a studio movie. We already had our can and I think this is just going to be a testament to show what someone like Duval can do and take directly to their audience. And we don't have to be inside a system that's giving us rules and telling us what we can do and what we can't do. We don't have to wait on script. We don't have to wait on that editorial notes. It's literally we're making it together. He looks sad and signs off, and then we move on to the next thing.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 4: And he's an amazing partner because he lets me do my part and he does his part. He shows up just you know, with these interviews. This is what it takes now to carry the movie across the line right making it as well taking it to the audience. Like the HBCU idea is a phenomenal idea. We should absolutely do an HBCU tour with the movie as well. And the other thing that we did about in the movie is we created a whole ecosystem so we have merchandise. Duvall and I own the rights to our killers uh name, image and likeness, so we can we can then franchise we want. So all the sound design and the sound effects in the movie are gonna come out for sale under Duval. So everything in the movie is an ecosystem to monetize and all video game. We got a that's right, we got a video game that's an app store camp du valls on. It's live on Android right now, it's getting ready to come through on iOS. We look, look, we have pillows. We have pillows that we made, so right we should we need to send her one so we can put one.
Speaker 5: We got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can put some in this studio, and we get to put some at the breakfast club studio too.
Speaker 4: I need to make sure I'll get your address from the publicist so that way we can send them to you. So yeah, we're just trying to create a full ecosystem where it doesn't take what it takes. You know that when the big machine gets a hold of it, it takes a lot to be able to make a little And you've really about the talent in this movie. There there are many rap speeches that I could post where everybody at the end of it thanks to Ball for giving them an opportunity, giving them a platform, always supporting them as they grew into their careers, and so this is his way to get back. Everybody has back end on the movie, and this is we hope to do this at least, you know, twice a year. I mean, there shouldn't be a reason why we can't make our own films. He came up with a great idea yesterday, for one, and that's really how you go. He should come up with the idea, We make the movie, we take it to the people, and we live and die a by whether the people like it or not and not whether an executive likes it and allows us to go to the next day.
Speaker 1: Who's casting and uh, you know, building the writer's room and do all you doing that as well too? Like are you fully hands on them with that or is it kind.
Speaker 3: Of like yeah, I cast and cast the people like people first, I have to cast my my try first. So if they in my tribe, they automatically cast it. Then I go with people new talents that I see out here, because I mean, it ain't that many avenues for us nowadays, so I feel like we have to do it. So if I see some new talent that I think that need a platform to take them to the next level, I try to show him love. So that's what I do with with with my position as far as casting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the story the story laurd like he and I did this story. Russ Park ultimately wrote it for us, but Doll and I created this story at like three point thirty and four. He's a very early riser as in mine, and this story was created, you know, with four AM texts that became the script that russ Park wrote.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, And I'm wondering do all you talked about new talent and you know you talked about how do all like supports He does really get in very early supporting people, calling things out as he see it. And I think it provides platform for people. Who's somebody right now Douvall that I mean, whether it was someone you put in this movie or somebody you plan to work with that you feel like the Internet isn't doing enough for but you can't wait to provide, Like a movie outside of the Internet is a real big opportunity.
Speaker 2: Person.
Speaker 3: I wish you would have told me this focus. I had a lot of them I can't think of right off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: But I feel like even when you do your Waterfall series, like the music series, I find I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if it's you understand this, Like, that's why you give me a reassurance that people get it. You know what I'm saying. You understand what I'm doing, what the platform is for. So it's definitely to showcase new talent that because like we said, we had like a Living Color and all that type of stuff that gave people a platform take another level.
Speaker 5: And we can still do that.
Speaker 3: But I think we forget because the older we get, we most of people still hustling, but we forget there's still a new talent under us that need a platform.
Speaker 5: They look up to us, and we forget that. So I feel like that's.
Speaker 3: Why I come in to let him know, Like, Nah, this motherfucker he is the truth.
Speaker 5: Like money Bag.
Speaker 3: He's funny than a motherfucker money bag Mafia. He's in the movie too, but he do a lot of skits. He do a lot of funny and he does stand up. I think if he if he had the right platform. And that's what we're doing with this movie, is trying to show his talent and take him to the next level because he's funny in the motherfucker nav Green.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, He's.
Speaker 2: On the road with I love nav Green.
Speaker 1: You know, I found I didn't really watch him on a lot of like I know he does, Like what's the podcast that he works with?
Speaker 2: Eighty five Sounds, No, that's another podcast.
Speaker 1: Well maybe he was just a guest on there, but he can't he with Drew Ski too, okay, because I found it's not I got to see him like do his thing and be funny.
Speaker 2: At the Black Effect Podcast Festival. He was there with.
Speaker 5: Oh he got sportscast sports show?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, five is it the five twenty man?
Speaker 5: Don't give me the line.
Speaker 1: I don't know the name, and there a big sports podcast.
Speaker 2: But so don't get mad at me, y'all.
Speaker 1: But when Broken play, when they came to the they he did something the Black Effect Podcast fust when I was like, yo, he's really funny in like real life because a lot of people can't get it right off of the Internet. And when I saw when I saw him in this movie, I'm like, okay, seeing.
Speaker 3: Stuff like him, he's like like everybody we've been the social media kind of program people that comedy is just one thing. You know what I'm saying, a lot of people, if you don't fit in that one box, they think you ain't funny. And so now now that everything is kind of like even down in the dustin cell, now you can see comedy and we got other platform to show them for different talents. That's people like him gonna shine, you know what I'm saying, Like, like they say the Creean rides at the top, and he's one of the one of the truth next he one of the next comedians. I think as far as stand up, as far as skits, everything, he got all of it. You know what I'm saying. Now, who else? Erica Dutchess, She's funny as hell.
Speaker 5: She's in the movie. Of course, I'm gonna say Jay Ski. I mean, he's funny as hell.
Speaker 3: But and it's a lot of people that ain't in it, but they gonna be in the next thing, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know who I've been looking at and been actually kind of talented that I want to put in the movie.
Speaker 5: Yan Te, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: Rick Ross's baby Mama Ta kimp.
Speaker 2: Funny noo.
Speaker 1: She And it's like it's not even like comedian funny, even though I know she'd be like on the like she be doing her thing. It's just like black Woman funny as hell, like she just quick with it, like and it's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of people like that online that I see.
Speaker 3: They just don't have like certain platforms for them to showcase it. And everybody that's don't do stand up and everybody don't do those little They're not finna do the stupid shit to get go viral. So places like us is where we have a home to where they can showcase their stuff and take it to the next level without selling their soul.
Speaker 5: You feel what I'm saying, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like do all you get the And I don't know if you even care, but do you feel like people have enough conversation about just you on the business side of things and kind of like how you position yourself almost like as an executive it's like your A and ring digital comedy film.
Speaker 5: I've kind of.
Speaker 3: Programmed myself to not care, because when you care, then you like they say, live by the chair, die by the booze.
Speaker 5: So I really don't care. I just and I mean I see it.
Speaker 3: It comes back like God give me reassurance with other things and stuff like that to where I don't have to care enough about what who.
Speaker 5: Don't give me my praise, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So that's how I kind of look at stuff, and I mean, shit, they I can see it in people, you know what I'm saying. It's just like if you have kids, or you might people might say you ad just like your mama.
Speaker 5: So I see the same thing.
Speaker 3: And other people that come under me, they act just like me, or they might don't give me my paris, or they might not say it, or they might like for example, they might say, they might say Kevin Hart to go, but if you look at their program and all you look at their path, they all followed my blueprints. So it's just showing me like who you really look up to. So that's what that's what I pay attention. I don't really care about about the recognition because the stuff I was doing they wasn't doing when they was giving recognition for the stuff I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Now, we were having a conversation with when I said we had the Breakfast Club, we had a conversation with.
Speaker 2: Carlos Miller and comedian Little Real.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw it, but in that conversation when they came to talk about a film that they were doing, also independently. They were talking about how they feel like the level of like the Kevin Hart and a lot of the people who are you know, are a certain generation of comedy overlooked, a certain generation of comedy so overlooked, the generation of like the just Hilarius is the Carlos Miller's.
Speaker 3: The think they're looking at the wrong crowds because they looking at their I peers and the people old and and us. That's why I think they're trying to get their validation. But the people under us, they look at us like we goats, you know what I'm saying. Like to me, I mean, like I said, I go and I'm really outside around amongst the people.
Speaker 5: So I get enough praise and.
Speaker 3: Dick pulling the way, I don't really care about the other stuff. You know what I'm saying, Like the only people that might not get me praise is the people.
Speaker 5: In the industry, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So but they all programmed to say who they think is ghats, you know what I'm saying, Like, of course they gonna say that, But like I say, but if you look at they what they doing, it's all from that, Like they ain't ain't no millionaires up that came under me made their money off of doing what Kevin Hart did, you see what I'm saying, So they kind of tell it like it's they can say that, but they don't look at people. And only reason I'm he using Kevin Hart because he's like the top or they you know what I'm saying, But the way he did, the way he did and the way it's going on now, it's pretty much they making the money this new generational way, you know what I'm saying, So they should be proud of where they at now more so then keep looking at those people and wanting that parade.
Speaker 5: And that's how I look at everything with what.
Speaker 4: I do lor And I think I think he really does live his social life right. He is comparison is the thief of joy. And I don't think even looks at what others uh in that way because even with this movie right it was, there's not been a comparison of hey, we gotta do it like this, so we gotta do it like that. He's just we're just driving the boat. Like it makes sense to do what we're gonna do with the Sixth City, like go and see people and have them be a part. We're gonna have the killer in the crowd and like being experienced and not just go watch a movie right.
Speaker 2: And pop out the crowd with a bunch of people.
Speaker 3: Just you wasn't supposed to tell her that. Man, you just gave the element of surprise, y'all.
Speaker 1: Y'all talking about going to these y'all going to these local theaters and go have a killer, pop out the crowd. Over all that that sounds real fun and safe as either way it goes come out.
Speaker 2: So we know we could.
Speaker 5: You're good. You're good, I promise you good.
Speaker 3: Just the best way, I guess, I think the best way explain me. I'm like the Dolo might of this generation. How Dolomite he was doing everything is he was all independent. He did it is always a good way. And then over time our generation got it. But at that time they just looked at it like they was just either boxed him in this ghetto or just raggedy, or they looked at it like it was some bullshit. But now if you look at it, everything is damn the Dolomite.
Speaker 5: She toobes Dolamite