Speaker 1: Warning, Despite Mangessa's grandmother's greatest wish, he is one not a doctor, and nothing in this episode should count as medical advice. You will, however, hear about looks maxing colonialism, and there will be references to the Golden Girls and the Odyssey. There will also be disclosure of one or more annoying astrological predictions, as well as adult language and mention of suicide, So sensitive listeners take care.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Cliver.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna live twice. I'm mongaish and I am so happy here. I've had a heck of a year. So let me catch you up real quick. Anna, would you pull up the deck? Scun Valley loves a deck like this. This is a show about longevity. These are some things I heard over and over again. We can still be doing a triathlon at ninety, here, hundred.
Speaker 4: The maximum lifespan just keeps increasing faster than you age, and then somebody figures out how to stop us from dying permanently.
Speaker 5: Longevity sort of feels like this rarefied you know, tech pro brainchild of the already wealthy, already healthy individuals that somewhat selfishly want to live in extra A few decades.
Speaker 3: I think death is a great evil, and I think it takes people away from us way too soon. See, everyone wants to live forever. This is me as a kid reading.
Speaker 6: Three two one contact.
Speaker 3: I liked it because it was filled with weird science and discoveries and facts. The very matter that makes this is me now, still obsessed with weird science and discoveries and facts. Except for my hair is gray, my face is rounder. I'm lucky to have a wife and kids who make me smile.
Speaker 2: You don't look bad. You know you have ontap potential, right, And.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm supposed to be a grown up. But I can't believe I'm forty seven. I mean, I do get more tired. My reflexes aren't what it used to be. But my spirit that's a different story. I always have a pen on me for doodling. When I sit at the front of a bus, I like to inch my toe slowly over the do not cross line because it's harmless.
Speaker 6: Also, I don't really like being told what to do.
Speaker 3: This is my childhood friend Chathan. He's a rule breaker too. I'm actually a superhero now one years I know that live for you to come back and so how I can scale walls and a lecture a vision.
Speaker 6: Now there's a new peptide.
Speaker 3: He's lost way has loads of energy. And honestly, I don't want to live forever. But what Chathan has that sounds appealing. That's where my journey begins. This is a longevity doctor I saw while working on this show.
Speaker 7: This is how much that you have. It's like nine kilograms, which is a lot. You know, you're almost on the O B side.
Speaker 3: This is a genetics expert telling me trauma lives in your epigenetics. For eight generations, we see Indians aging pastor probably because of generational traumas due to colonization. So even if I take a lot of pills, colonialism kind of screwed me.
Speaker 6: This is my great grandmother. She saw it.
Speaker 3: All colonial rule, world wars, partition, independence, generations of family both entering and passing. When I was a kid, I thought she was the coolest. She was funny and surly and drank strong coffee with her morning newspaper. She loved Calvin and Hobbes and hated to lose its scrabble. The fact that she lived to one hundred and three felt like an achievement. But these days, when I talked to biopunks and longevinots, one hundred three barely seems worth bragging about. This is a graph of people who've lived past one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 6: There's only one of them.
Speaker 3: Jeane Cowmant from France. She was a smoker. This is a graph of the number of people scientists expect to live past their one hundred and tens in the year twenty eighty. That's three hundred thousand people right there. These are some old people we ask for advice.
Speaker 8: And I'll look in the mirror and I get my girl a rink, say you look all right, girl, We can do this.
Speaker 3: I learned my lessons from my grandmother and my dad.
Speaker 9: Keep it moving, to live forever.
Speaker 10: It's just a fantasy, so yeah, I might as well.
Speaker 9: Can I fly too?
Speaker 3: This is a biohacker who injected himself with cow brains just to see the effect.
Speaker 4: We've got all these peptides right here, and I'm gonna inject this one into him and I go yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a scientist who thinks some men are overdoing it and.
Speaker 9: Are like horoscopes for tech ropes.
Speaker 3: And this is where I find myself eventually talking to a startup founder who lives on an island populated mostly by monkeys. She's going to make her dad heart attack proof and she wants to do the same for you. So I'm like, wait, could I grow him a new heart that will never develop heart disease because I genetically engineered at them?
Speaker 5: Like stage one.
Speaker 3: This year, my friends and I set out to make a show about longevity. I wanted to go to blue Zones and MIT and meet people at the fringes who are developing new drugs and new therapies. I wanted to investigate the line between substance and snake oil. And here from folks implanting computer chips into their arms and the young scientists trying to replace their brains with a totally new one, one cell at.
Speaker 4: A time, not people who just talk about the future but are brave enough to actually do it.
Speaker 3: This is a show about life, but really it's a story about time. The time we have, the time we think we have, and the ways as human beings we're still asking for an extension. From Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, I'm monga'sha Together. Welcome to Skyline Drive, How to Live Forever chapter one The New fifty. If you asked me in third grade, Missus Fletcher was the definition of old You remember Missus Fletcher.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm tallen and I can't get up.
Speaker 3: For sending help immediately Missus Fletcher.
Speaker 11: He will be called a law.
Speaker 3: Back in the nineteen eighties, these life call commercials were always on TV, and they really drilled into this idea that anyone who was older and living alone was constantly on the precipice of some massive accident. In home accidents last year, over three million people were disabled.
Speaker 12: One hundred thousand either suffered permanent disabilities or die.
Speaker 3: Stairs, slippery floors, a bunched carpet. These were all treated like murder weapons, and the commercials were so melodramatic you can see why they became a national punchline. I'm folling. All that's to say, I've been thinking about those commercials a lot, and it's made me wonder did old age on TV look older than it does now? So I called on my friend the communie Ken read.
Speaker 10: I'm more or lesson whenevery issue of TV Guide magazine like a normal person.
Speaker 3: Ken has been making his podcast TV Guidance Counselor for more than a decade, so he seemed like the perfect person for me to run my theory by. I'm about to turn forty seven, and I was trying to imagine, like what was old age on TV as a kid, Like what was my perception of it? And the thing I kept coming back to was that I've fallen and I can't get up commercial.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, that was what we all had to look forward to, being alone and injured and your your family doesn't remember your care about you anymore.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, this was never how I pictured my own old age as a third grader. I just assumed I'd be living this very able bodied, Sherlock Holmes esque life, you know, like playing music and chess, solving mysteries with my best friend, wearing a lot of tweed. Not exactly life called territory. I mean, I didn't know about this, and I don't know if you did before, but when I did some research, which like it was a true story, like the woman who played Miss Fletcher was named Edith for and she had actually fallen. Yeah, although it was a dramatic recreation, I don't think she hit her head on every step like she does in the actual part.
Speaker 9: Of the recreation.
Speaker 10: But yeah, and it's it's funny for a lot of reasons. That's such a weird snapshot because a it's pre internet, pre cell phone, so like, I think people younger than us now would be like, why do you need that if you fall? Like, doesn't your phone automatically send in the military?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, Like you look at that commercial and you think this woman is not leaving her house, like maybe she gets escorted to like a piano recital or something every once in a while.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean you and I were the same exact age. I'll most my birthdays in June and I'll be forty seven somehow, and my dad's in his early seventies, and yeah, I mean, obviously he doesn't look like a seventy something year old woman from the mid eighties generally, but I don't think of them in the same way. And part of its perception as well.
Speaker 3: I was looking back and I didn't realize that, like Funker On, all the family dies at like age fifty of a stroke. Yeah, Like the idea that they used to kill off the loved characters who are not that much older than me feels bonkers. Or here's another example, as a kid. The Golden Girls seemed like the oldest people on TV. Three senior citizens and one of their mothers talked away in Florida. I just assumed they were in their seventies moving that you.
Speaker 13: Can't teach an old ad new drigs.
Speaker 2: And if anyone knows about tricks.
Speaker 3: But when I researched it, Rue McClanahan, who played Blanche, was just fifty one, you.
Speaker 10: Know, likea mona from Who's the Best? Prime example, right.
Speaker 3: The whole joke on that was.
Speaker 10: Like she's sex crazy. So she's an old lady and she's like fifty.
Speaker 3: Maybe what's hard to swallow though, isn't just that fifty was considered old age. It's also how fragile fifty used to seem.
Speaker 10: When you go back and look at clapper ads, they're mostly focused on old people at the beginning, because why wouldn't they be. It's like, hey, you're old, you can't get up and turn all light off?
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember the clapp for Phenomena, but I had not realized that it was targeted at old people.
Speaker 10: That's really oh yeah. The first few ads it's like old people in craftmatic chairs clapping, so because they're falling asleep in their chair, like they want to shut the light off, you know, because he'll live alone. And you're really old at fifty.
Speaker 3: But think about what those mid fifties look like now. Matt Damon as Odysseus is not feeble. He's fifty five and ripped and in the best shape of his life. But also think about how much better we all look. Our skin is better, the air quality is better. There's less pollution. We haven't been exposed to homes full of cigarette smoke. Our food has less transfats, and those are hard won battles that turned into real public health winds.
Speaker 6: We also care more.
Speaker 3: We use moisturizers and I creams and inject things like botox, and that shows up not just in how we look, but in the stories we tell. Ken told me that TV shows about seniors took a turn too. It used to be that stories about older people focused on struggle.
Speaker 10: It was almost like all your resources are gone. Now everyone you knew was gone, so you need help because it's just.
Speaker 6: Like nice, just you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And then they kind of focused it on second chances or like a second act.
Speaker 3: And now it seems like everyone's pushing for third and fourth acts. But at some point doesn't every story have to end.
Speaker 6: Chapter two?
Speaker 3: Another prediction making a show is a funny thing. On one hand, I don't think I've listened to Skyline Drive since we made it, at least not the hard parts.
Speaker 9: Situation doesn't look good for father.
Speaker 11: There is a risk to father, and you should take every possible care.
Speaker 3: Back then, I thought I was making a show about astrology, and then my dad passed and the show ended up being about something else about death and how to accept, to grieve, how to hope again, and also how astrology was this prism to do all of that. But I have re listened to the interviews, and there's something wonderful about having these records of chats with my mom or my friend and things we said but I don't remember. And recently, looking back through old recordings, I stumbled into something odd tape of a tantric astrologer I met in Chennai. For me, this was one of the most meaningful parts of the show. That year, I had heard a prediction about my dad's death and it came true. And as part of this astrologer's apprenticeship, he had to predict the exact time his father would die, and that came true as well.
Speaker 12: And he told me, I said, Guru, I am asking you when I willn't die. I'm asking you you'd see a tenn And unfortunately, yeah, I was the person who told that you'll have a kardi cuarist.
Speaker 3: It may sound silly or fantastical, but in that moment I felt so connected to him by this strange, invisible string of our shared experience. He told me what sadness, how he didn't want to be accurate about his father but he was, and how certain fates etched into the stars are undeniable. That's the part I remember. But as I really listened, I heard another part of our conversation, a part I'd forgotten.
Speaker 12: So from twenty thirty four or ten month till twenty thirty nine, after month, you will retain what you are then boom, end of this life. Sorry to say this.
Speaker 3: It turns out that July twenty ninth, twenty thirty nine is a critical date. And if I somehow happen to make it past that, you.
Speaker 12: May live for four to five years.
Speaker 7: What that will be some kind of issues.
Speaker 3: So if I trust his interpretation of the stars, I have an expiration date of sixty four years, which you know, not bad, could be worse, or at least that's what I thought when I told my except maybe I regret sharing my revelation with Lizzie because while I fell asleep pretty quickly after my bedtime confession, the conversation kept her up and she can't let it go, so we talked.
Speaker 6: About it a little later.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you notice you keep laughing.
Speaker 14: I don't think I've laughed once. I don't find this funny at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, either it'll happen or it won't happen.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 14: If you're deflecting, you're deflecting because my beef is not with the fact that he predicted it, and you are mad that he predicted it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. If I get sixty four years a wife, that's okay.
Speaker 14: It's wonderful like to not take things for granted and yeah, and be present and be present. But no, I'm not okay with that, especially because our children would not be very old at that point.
Speaker 15: I mean, I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. Obviously, it would be difficult when.
Speaker 9: You were in your forties.
Speaker 14: So you want your children to have less time with their father than you have hit with your father.
Speaker 15: No, but like in the context of like, I don't know, we made space Ninja suits on a snow day, but like we we've done so many fun things and so many weird things, and it's just been like very joys and so I'm sure it would be difficult, but like, I don't regret things that I've done.
Speaker 2: No, of course not.
Speaker 14: I'm just saying I'm voting for you sticking your own Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: But it isn't just Lizzy. You as feelings about my early departure. She and my friend Chathan started talking about this prediction.
Speaker 14: One Gush's general attitude about all of this is like, yeah, that's fine, what's.
Speaker 11: Wrong with him?
Speaker 6: So why would he be?
Speaker 9: Why you be okay with that?
Speaker 3: So, of course Chathan wants to talk to me. I am a little concerned about your health. I think we're at this age where like we don't get a whole lot more free passes.
Speaker 6: As we both approach our mid forties, right, our.
Speaker 11: Early fifties is what we're fucking approaching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our health is like a slow burn in terms of decline.
Speaker 6: I don't know if this is true.
Speaker 3: But I feel like I played a lot more sport than you, and so like I feel like I wore down my body more than you might have. So I guess my lack of athletic ability is finally coming to my veny, like I was good at math and bad at sports, and finally like that's like working out for me. Somehow, Everyone's got thoughts, even my kid Ruby, Why are you.
Speaker 2: Damning a podcast that like helps you find out when own who's gonna die? Like, isn't that sad?
Speaker 3: I mean, that would be a sad podcast. But even when we corrected Ruvi about the topic, they still had an opinion.
Speaker 14: Do you want to live longer than you might?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do. I think you shouldn't take what your life are granted.
Speaker 14: Do you want to live a long time?
Speaker 2: I would like to live long. I think it would be nice, But I also think it would be sad to grow and like have a lot of people who you love like leave.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you don't think you'd want to be the last one left?
Speaker 6: No, I'm a lot like Ruby.
Speaker 3: I figure when it's over, it's over, And I've never really thought about negotiating for extra time. The thing is, I.
Speaker 6: Do love to push a deadline. I'm a writer, after all.
Speaker 3: Plus I was semi famous in high school for being able to get teachers to push back tests for our classes. So maybe you'll fall back on old habits when I get to sixty.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: What I do know is I feel out of sync with my social feeds. The noise is just oppressive. With influencers and looks, maxers and billionaires and talking heads all chattering about a zepic and life acts and living forever, you just cannot escape it. So it's comforting to hear my kid talking about the future the way I do.
Speaker 14: Do you have an idea of how old you'll be when you're very old?
Speaker 8: I want to get to my late eighties and hopefully nineties, But I don't want to like hang on by to I just to live longer. I want to like enjoy it's done joy.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at joe'snaka dude. She doesn't need longevity.
Speaker 3: She's like it's rash, Chapter three, one hundred candles.
Speaker 11: There are a few things I want to talk with you about before we start. For example, I usually work like that down top shirts.
Speaker 3: Okay, is that better for age?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 11: I think it's I want to reflect youth. H Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Doctor Near barzilaias seventy has a boyish charm with the mischievous sense of humor. On his office wall, there's an awesome powers poster that his students have photoshopped him into because there's a clear resemblance. But a superspy looks aren't the reason I'm talking to Near. Near has been obsessed with one problem since he was a kid.
Speaker 11: What happens that you grow up and then you get old?
Speaker 3: Which is funny to me, like, what's the wonder? Isn't that life? But not to Near, which put him ahead of the curve when it was time to choose a residency after med school.
Speaker 11: And there were no ages. Right, I'm one of the first, so there was nobody that I could go and say train me.
Speaker 9: We had to kind of invent it.
Speaker 3: He started in endochronology, the study of hormones, because he had a hunch that since hormone go up as we grow and then go down as we age, and.
Speaker 11: I thought, wow, maybe if you just supplement those hormones, you'll stop the aging process, which proved to be largely wrong. Okay, but it gave me enough knowledge to know how to ask the next questions.
Speaker 3: And then fast forward. He's the director of the Aging Center at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine in the Bronx.
Speaker 11: When you don't have a lot of competition, you can become a leader.
Speaker 3: Reading Bust here says the modern science of aging gero science really kicked off with one observation.
Speaker 11: If you take any animal and give some of the brothers or sisters to eat whatever they want, and the others you caloric restrict them, they live much healthier and much longer.
Speaker 3: This was one of the original breakthroughs in aging science. Longevity researchers at places like UCSF, MIT and the Buck Institute, we're trying to understand why low calorie diets made worms and mice and other creatures live longer, and they uncovered key mechanisms of aging, from telemere attrition to cellular damage, things that later became part of what we now call the hallmarks of aging. Because by itself, starve the mice and they live longer isn't exactly useful medical insight.
Speaker 11: Because of course, telling people to eat forty percent less is not going to work.
Speaker 3: And along the way, they started to understand something wildly important that had nothing to do with mice diets. This thing we all know on an intuitive level that not all people age at the same rate, meaning your driver's license and your blood panels might not say the same thing.
Speaker 11: There's a biological agent and chronological age, and a seventy five year old woman can be with all systems totally fucked up, and a ninety year old person that maybe a little bit of antibiotics you can get to age hundred.
Speaker 3: Also, as your biological age increases, so does your risk for the big four diseases of aging, cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, and diabetes.
Speaker 11: This biology of aging drives diseases. In other words, it's not that you get disease and you get told. You get told with the years, and this biology brings out the disease.
Speaker 3: This is the biggest idea behind the current longevity of revolution. If you can slow aging, maybe you can keep sickness at bay a little longer and death even further off. I want to talk to nir especially because he founded the Longevity Genes Project, a landmark study of over five hundred centenarians and their children to witness the benefits of slow aging up close. Neir knows this one hundred and six year old in finance who still goes to work every day, siblings who've reached one hundred and nine centenarians who were smokers and overweight, and by studying all these low agers in the wild, Near realized he could figure out how to learn the secrets of aging well and make drugs and other recommendations to help those of us born without those lucky genes.
Speaker 11: So we had thirty five years to realize and those centenarians have realized probably twenty of those So what can we learn from them?
Speaker 3: And what they learned is a few things. They learned that there's a strong genetic factor, as in, if your parents lived a long time, you're pretty likely too as well. And it doesn't even have to be both parents, it can even be one grandparent. And that there are some strong links about having high HDL. Though near his feelings about cholesterol.
Speaker 11: If it is very boring subject, I want to get over get that.
Speaker 3: But there was another learning from his centenarians that truly stunned him.
Speaker 11: They were sick very little time at the end of their lives. Of our centenarians thirty percent didn't have any disease and didn't take any medications.
Speaker 3: If you can crack this longevity code, you can reduce not only medical costs, but also suffering. And honestly, if there's a correlation between extending my life and not spending my final years getting sick or in hospitals, I'm in. Before I take my leave, I have one more question. One thing I was curious about is your own aging.
Speaker 11: And why would you be curious about my own aging. I'm seventy years old. I have no interest in retiring. Okay, I feel like I'm in the prime of my activities. But I'm also practicing very aggressively longevity medicine. So how am I doing that? I have a longevity doctor, okay, because I don't want to have a fool as a client.
Speaker 3: Right Chapter four, The Other Shoe. Doctor Ron Primus's office is on the upper east Side with a view of Central Park and a mini waterfall.
Speaker 6: But the thing that.
Speaker 3: Really catches my eye a framed profile of doctor Primus from some years ago titled the Doctor is Out celebrating his work doing house calls for the rich and famous. Allegedly, doctor Primus was one of the inspirations for that USA TV show Royal Pains, and I do feel like royalty. Doctor Primus has generously waved his fees, but when my producer asks about costs for the test he runs, the staff doesn't know offhand because clients here aren't concerned with prices. As Doctor Primus enters the room, he's asking his assistant about his meals. He's on this very specific feed schedule. He tells me he's short and trim and good looking. And as he organizes his desk and pulls out a laptop, I launch in with the big question why longevity.
Speaker 7: Everybody's got a story right, right, And like my mother died when I was a kid of leukemia, My grandmother died of leukemia. How father died of leukemia, and so I was always waiting for the able.
Speaker 9: To shoot a drop.
Speaker 6: And then he goes to med school.
Speaker 7: I mean, clearly you have patients that have genetic propasity for cancer and things like that. But you know, barring those patients, almost everybody else is in there of their own device, like handguns, you know, car accents, drinking and driving whatever.
Speaker 9: Just I was like, it's gotta be better way.
Speaker 3: So he gets into preventive medicine and public health, ends up directing an AIDS clinic, but then he has a revelation.
Speaker 9: I've read Ray Kurzweale's book with Terry Grossman called Transcend and I was like, right, this makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: And this, this is what leads doctor Primus to fall down the longevity rabbit hole. This glimpse into a not so distant future. Kurzweil, as the computer scientist and futurist too, among other things, helped popularize a concept that would come to be known as longevity escape philosophy.
Speaker 11: If you're diligent, you'll use up a year of your longevity with the year passing, but you'll get back a full year in past twenty.
Speaker 9: Twenty nine, you'll get back more than a year. I feel like should go back with some time.
Speaker 3: It's a heavy concept, but the idea basically not aging or getting time back, it's one that feels less far fetched than an age of AI and the miracle drugs. But just hearing the name Ray Kurzweil makes me realize how embedded and twined with Silicon Valley ideology, the whole longevity movement seems to be as doctor Premus digs deeper into the field and starts testing out ideas he sees. The impact on himself.
Speaker 7: Was, Oh, I was about fifty pounds bigger than this at my heaviest and no matter what I was, like, could not lose the weight.
Speaker 3: By his early thirties, Doctor Primus is very dialed in on optimizing his health. He's mastered his diet, exercise, sleep.
Speaker 7: Because of all of this my personal health trajectory. Like, I'm like the post a boy for longevity.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So Brian Johnson spends like what couple million dollars a year on himself, right, and I spend nothing.
Speaker 3: Just to break here for a second. Every single person I've told about this podcast has wanted to talk to me about Brian Johnson, and I feel like in every conversation he's just this looming WWE character getting hyped backstage for his walk in Ladies and Gentlemen, making his way to the ring from the biohacking lab of the future, the founder of the Don't Die movement, A man so incredible he doesn't chase greatness.
Speaker 6: He tracks it by the millisecond.
Speaker 3: While you mortals are still asleep, He's awake at four thirty am optimizing human existence. When you are having a second cup of coffee, he's finishing dinner at eleven.
Speaker 6: In the morning because science said so.
Speaker 3: Piles of pills and powders every day, precision workouts, blood therapies, red light therapies. Because he could eat for pleasure, he could sleep for comfort, he could choose not to keep track of every erection he has every night. Instead, this human machine lives for data. So hide your sugar, lock up your process cars. Because stepping into the ring tonight, it is the blueprint, the hooper, biohacker, the man hooper uses to die. Wid Johnson, Brian Johnson is so pervasive in culture that somehow even my kid Ruby knows about him.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I know, what do you know about Brian?
Speaker 8: He's doing all this stuff And didn't he like take his kids like blood right to make him feel be younger?
Speaker 2: Do I think? Again, that's a lot to do, Like I think, are you going to give any blood? No?
Speaker 14: I don't think he wants to curated to myself.
Speaker 3: All that's to say, Brian Johnson has single handedly done more to popularize the idea of living forever than any other modern human and he supposedly slowed his aging to a reported point five oh three, aging half a year for every year he lives. That's all according to the dunid in paste clock, the gold standard for tracking how you're aging biologically. But doctor Primus says it doesn't take one hundred pills and two million dollars a year to compete with that, not even close.
Speaker 7: I just train really hard, I eat really healthy, I sleep eight hours a day, I take a bunch of supplements, and my dunit in pace of aging is only point sixty five and his is something like point six too, So I'm like close to him, and I do almost nothing that he does.
Speaker 3: Doctor Primus tells me that his clientele fall into two groups. It's either these Brian Johnson inspired men in the thirties who want to live forever, or people in their eighties and nineties who want to live as well as long as they can. It turns out people like me are an outlier, not a lot of forty seven year roles in that mix. Then the exam begins. Over the course of the next hour, doctor Primus starts peppering me with questions. We go through some of my family history, which I'm expecting any alcoholism. Uh, yeah, there's there's alcoholism in the family, poor my dad's side. Any suicides, yes, I debate how deep I need to go to tell him about my genius cousin my age who took his life. We're one of my grandaunts who jumped down a well. The fact is my family never talked about addiction or depression, so I don't really know how to get into it with him. We talk about my dad's cancer and how much I drink, Not that much these days. Also, what else friends of my family, diabetes, high blood pressure.
Speaker 9: This brings me to the next question.
Speaker 7: So do you have a fire stingleisher or a fire blanket in your kitchen when you cook?
Speaker 9: Yes? And do you go to sleep belt in the car all the time even an uber or taxi?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're going to bike it all rarely.
Speaker 9: Do you have a helmet yes? Any firearms in the house.
Speaker 7: No, you know people have in the end to make sure you keep the safety on, and yeah, sort of thing.
Speaker 9: It's important.
Speaker 3: It's funny. These are such simple questions, but also so different from the fifteen minute cursory checkup I'm used to getting. Is this a glimpse into what preventive care could look like for everyone. None of this costs any money. What it costs is time. How many lives would be saved if everyone's doctor asked them these questions. When we finish, we go into another room. I put on a paper gown and we do a series of tests. Some have me standing on something that looks like a scale, driving onto what feels like a handlebar of a bike. Some are blood draws, some are just routine eye and ear things. It takes about twenty minutes and then we walk out. It's December eighth, and I'm feeling pretty good in the exam room. My eyes and ears checked out, my lung sounded fine. There didn't seem to be any irregularities. And sure I was expecting like maybe a little note that I'm getting older, maybe a pat on the back for playing tennis and walking so much. Instead I hear this, so.
Speaker 9: You're fat mess.
Speaker 7: And next, this is how much that you have totally and it's like nine kilograms, which is a lot. You know, you're almost on the ob side. Waste circumference is definitely high for you. This is body composition trut You want to be down there, not there, so it just takes some work.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is kind of a gut punch. I'm hearing about how unhealthy I am. He's encouraging, but also sounding the alarm. I need to control the things I can control and start putting real effort into them or risk losing years. He tells me to intermit fast and to start tracking everything. As he's telling me all this, I feel overwhelmed.
Speaker 9: You track your data at all?
Speaker 7: I feel like a watch and whoop or biostrap work really well.
Speaker 9: You should wear a bluepless monitor just to kind of stay on top of it.
Speaker 7: Your aplutment at like sixty two degrees and work with ound with like listening, schedule and try and not yet so you feel.
Speaker 9: A great trains being quite sure and start vacation so you got your work cut out a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm skeptical I can pull this off, like I could take a pill.
Speaker 6: A pill is easy.
Speaker 3: I can show up for injections, but sleeping at regular times for eight hours, breaking my day for cold plunges, finding time to exercise. How am I going to do any of that? Then I think about what's at risk and who's giving me the advice? Doctor Primus tells me he had an older patient who was very high functioning and had the markers for Alzheimer's, and then he had a sudden decline.
Speaker 9: I was like, wow, something's wrong.
Speaker 7: He went off the cliff like he literally was good, good, good, then bam.
Speaker 9: So I was like, look, we got to do something about this.
Speaker 3: So doctor Primus teams up with his friend Neir, who is also his patient, and they send the man to a third friend in Tel Aviv.
Speaker 7: Neir has a friend called Shaya Friday. There, Shai has this protocol for Alzheimer's patients using hyperbaric and he had intensive four months daily hyperbaric.
Speaker 9: I put him on a kto diet.
Speaker 3: And then with a tweak to his diet, daily sessions in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, and a regimen of games and apps to stimulate his brain. Doctor Primus tells me, then just four months.
Speaker 7: He's completely back to normal. All of the testing that they did sh dramatic improvements.
Speaker 3: And as I gather my things to leave, I keep returning to the story. Maybe it's just that an anecdote and end of one, but I can't stop being excited by the possibilities. So I started thinking about bellying up to my to do list from Doctor Primus. And then as I'm walking out into the brisk December air, I get one more gentle nudge towards the future. We bump into another of doctor Primus's patients, this man who looks to be in his eighties. He tells us his mother is also a client. She's one hundred and six and it's hard to keep up with on the dance floor.
Speaker 6: I really don't want to go to the gym, But being.
Speaker 3: Able to dance until the end of your life, that seems like a wonderful thing. Fifty too much, Chapter five, The Odyssey of it All. So remember that part where my wife and my child were complaining about me being okay with my life Sentence of sixty four. There's one more thing I need to tell you. Every few years, whenever we could afford it, my mom would take us to India for a whole summer. For us, India was this bizarro world with completely different rules, a place of pure chaos and colors. At the edges of my grandparents lush garden, beyond Bogan Villa and the tall Gaman tree, you could spot mongoose and beautiful gray longer monkeys. At night, you sneaked into bed under these lacey mosquito nets that hung from the bed frames like some Victorian relic. And of all the people in the house, I was most enamored with my grandfather, who bridged all these incredible worlds. I love that he was this gentleman who studied botany at Oxford and kept volumes of national geographics on the bookcase, and played weekly.
Speaker 6: Bridge games with his friends on the verandah.
Speaker 3: And I loved how magical time with him could be, Like late one night, how he woke me up and led me outside to peek it at Bethlehem Lily, this flower he'd been cultivating that only opens once a year in moonlight. We're hearing him talk about his adventures as a chief of forestry, how he'd briefly fostered heard some bear cubs at home because he found them abandoned in the woods, Or how he'd killed a king kobra that was attacking him, how he tried to shoot it as it raced towards him, and when he missed, he took his rifle and turned it around and swung it like a cricket bat, knocking the creature out. But more than any of that, I love that he was so loving and sensitive too, that he had this deep empathy for others. When I was nine, he was taking a bus to visit assault mine. He breathed in deeply and in a minute disappeared from a heart attack. When I heard the news, I was devastated. On the bus where he passed away. The young man recognized the initials and last name on his briefcase and stayed to lend a hand. His father had been in the forestry service too, Mayaja had helped him when he became disabled and couldn't work. And I always thought, if you can do that in seventy two years, if you can live in a way that your grandkid, several continents away, growing up in a completely different culture, wants to mirror the best parts of you, well, then maybe sixty or seventy years is enough. That feels like enough time. And that's how I felt and lived my life forty seven years in fact, happy to savor the time I have, making the most of it.
Speaker 6: But then there's this, I.
Speaker 14: Would prefer for you to plan on and work as if we're going to live you much longer.
Speaker 3: Lives together How can I ignore that? Because what if Chathin and Near and doctor Primus and yes, even that WWE wrestler dooming in the back of my head are right? What if I could prove the strologer wrong and defeat death by a year or ten or twenty. Doesn't my family deserve that?
Speaker 6: Right now, they.
Speaker 3: Are scientists using dancing molecules to make paraplegic mice walk again. There are geneticists curing babies of lifelong diseases before they'll take their first steps. They are entrepreneurs designing new drugs, delivering miracles and labs. And there are world leaders talking on hot mics about how they might extend their lives and reigns by seventy five years or longer. And I don't know if there's a pill or an injection or a transplant that's going to give us an endless life, But I keep hearing about these secrets that only scientists and the elite know about right now.
Speaker 4: They sometimes don't like going on the record just because of the nature.
Speaker 9: Of what they do.
Speaker 3: And since I still have a little time on my hands, I might as well chase.
Speaker 6: Those secrets down. This season on How to Live forever, so you have.
Speaker 3: A testable brain essentially in the futured day. Right, Okay, gentle you guys, that totally does work.
Speaker 14: People were just filling up their bottles.
Speaker 4: I learned about Da Vinci writing his notebooks mirrored, so that just seemed like the pure most symmetric form of just physically developed.
Speaker 12: Sixteen floors, but eight of them are themed. We have a floor for AI, floor for crypto, floor for longevity and so on.
Speaker 3: I told them I'm new to the building and was here for an event, and he asked me, quite blankly, if I want to live forever from twenty two to twenty five, I have frozen blood samples and data of how my plasma proteins and also my immune cells have changed. The more muscle loss.
Speaker 12: You're almost there.
Speaker 3: So want to age in MAA right now?
Speaker 13: You can kind of see the appeal of it. You want to try and get as much as you can, But then you're also downplaying every single other element of your existence. Our families and the people we work with, and the people that we see in the street, you know, are those maybe the more important parts of our existence.
Speaker 9: Everybody holds each other up with their arms.
Speaker 7: They're holding each other up so they can do these more difficult movements.
Speaker 3: One of the cool things about def is that it completes the story. I mean, I want to say, is it really a story without?
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm going to live you. We did it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening. I feel so lucky to be making a show. I have so many feel to thank. Skyline Driver is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeart Podcast. This show is hosted and written by Me Mongish particular, with a ton of help, like so much help from these wonderful Evans Lizzie Jacobs aka and my wife, who I'm so lucky to have conned into leading this production and spending a lifetime with me. I also have massive, massive help from the most talented and most cat loving Mary Philip Sandy and the unbelievably tapped in science producer Mark Steven Allen, who knows everyone from congressman to exile journalists to superstar kids in Brooklyn who have put magnets into their ends. Mark Lotto is the very very best story editor who had to go away to our hammock on an island just to handle editing me. That's how rough it is. This episode was mixed by our genius Kyle Anna from Computer Seni Productions, with lush and wondrous scoring from Botany Spencer.
Speaker 6: How can we do this without you?
Speaker 3: Also the beautiful Indian hip hop This courtesy of Azadi Records, who is so amazing, and there are gorgeous tracks from the artist Samsa Mo and Nathan.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: If you want to hear more, we made you a mixtape, you.
Speaker 6: Just have to check out the show notes.
Speaker 3: Additional production research support from the wonderful Lucas Riley. The show is executive produced from iHeart but my good friends Ali Perry and Katrina Norvel. The show would not have happened without the support of my friends a kaleidoscope, starting with my business partner pal oswa Lishan, who somehow still believes in the show. Juliane Nutter is our head of studio and has been bearing with me and passing along so many great story notes. Costas Linos, thank you so much for keeping the lights on with a smile, making everything go smoothly.
Speaker 6: Costas, you are the best.
Speaker 3: Kate Osborne for getting the show off the ground. Thank you, Kate rachel Strom. We owe you so Big, You are the very best lawyer and neighbor and human. Also Christy David, Gina, Dara calypso L Viney for coming out from retirement to do the beautiful collage art again, anyone who led ahead.
Speaker 6: There are way too many of you.
Speaker 3: I also want to give a little special thanks to all the kiddos who bore with us through this production. Henry Ruby, my two little maniacs who now yell off the record at me at the dining table. Also Julian Brendel, lou Litleenzo and Pearl Etour. All my friends at iHeart, including Bob Connell, will carry Nicki, Jason, Jerry and Moore my New York and Atlanta Cruz.
Speaker 6: There are too many to name.
Speaker 3: Also Shanta Sullah, my family in India, my family in the States. The very very biggest thank you to Josh Clark from the legendary podcast Stuff.
Speaker 6: You Should Know.
Speaker 3: Josh read this episode's warning and he once told me he hated his voice until someone told him he sounded like a muppet. So from one muffet to another, thank you so much. I just want to say thank you to my teachers, missus Leary and miss Anderson, who were just two of the greatest elementary school teachers ever. They made me believe my talents, made fall in love with creative projects, and for some reason, they still listen and root for me. The world needs more tea fatures and people like you. And just one last thank you to my Amma, my dad, lovely fandomschaticular who I thank my lucky stars for.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for listening