Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin Dad, we only have two weeks left of the regular season. This is the most exciting time of the year.
Speaker 2: In all of sports. But across Major League Baseball things are tightening in these races and we're going to jump into it.
Speaker 1: But there's one team that nobody is talking about, and that is my daughter, McKinley Hope's T ball team. She starts te ball at just over two years old.
Speaker 2: Dad two nights, so when.
Speaker 1: This episode drops, we will have already had our first heavy air quotes here game.
Speaker 2: But I'm so excited to be coach Dad out there.
Speaker 3: Jeff, it's wonderful and proud of you for being the coach of your daughter's team. The question is she taller than the tea? Because I think there should be something in place. If you're not taller than the tea, you can't play t ball yet. Have you checked that out? Because I know, I know this worked when you were a kid. You couldn't play till you were eleven because you were tall as the t.
Speaker 1: Is she as tall as the t It's arguable you know they build adjustable t's now that are a little bit smaller for the little ones. So we've been practicing. Well, we always swing a bat in the basement. You know, we have a bat and tea and balls down here, but I just brought them out to the backyard. We were ground or we were taking grounders. But the hardest thing for her to understand is, you know, we're trying to teach her to run to first base, but she would hit the ball and then she would try to go get the ball. So she didn't realize the offense defensive end of things. If you're hitting, you don't want to get near the ball, right and if you're defending, you want to get the ball.
Speaker 2: So we're going to.
Speaker 1: Work through that tonight at our very first T ball heavy quotes.
Speaker 3: Again game, Well, I can't wait. What about my shirt, Jeff? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I recognize that shirt because I very selfishly I'm going to take credit here. I texted that link to that rowback shirt with dinosaurs on it to Kelly, your daughter, my sister, and I said you got to get this for pop up for Father's Day from Carson because Carson, your oldest grandson, loves dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: And it's a great polo. The brand is awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great comfortable shirt I wore and as a tribute to Carson today, cutest kid ever, first grandson, a first grandchild have ever had. He asked me the other day, pop up, when you got married? Were the dinosaurs? Were their dinosaurs you got married?
Speaker 4: It was forty forty two years ago.
Speaker 3: No, but I told him there are dinosaurs today because I happened to be one of them. I again, Jeff, I did not know this till about a week ago. Why the Doobie Brothers are called Doobie brothers? Did you know that that?
Speaker 1: It never surprises me when you tell me something like how you.
Speaker 3: Adult w not know the answer to why they're called the Doobie Brothers.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, isn't it due to marijuana?
Speaker 3: I would think, So that's what I was told, all right. I did not know that, Jeff.
Speaker 1: So all right, let's well, maybe you were just smoking too much of the reefer when you were at University of Maryland College parking in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Simply no, simply not happening, Jeff, all right, Listen, I every week I come up with a team Tim Jeff and you know they're fun. I enjoyed doing them this week. It garnered a lot of attention, and I'm really surprised. We remember last week we had the all female baseball team. You know, names that sound a little bit more female than male. Okay, right, and we haven Moni Mack and we have Carol Hardy Kim Battist. You you heard him. So I got a bunch of suggestions from people. Did you read some of these? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I don't think this is bo Jackson level mistake, but we did miss a very big one.
Speaker 3: Well, we missed Christy Matthewson. Right, that's the biggest That's the biggest one we missed. A pointed that out right.
Speaker 2: The biggest one we missed I thought was Jackie Robinson.
Speaker 3: Jackie, Yeah, that's that, that's true. We missed Jackie rob of this is I come up with one of these ridiculous lists, and everyone that said something in has something that's better than what I put on the list.
Speaker 2: I forgot.
Speaker 3: And Nolan Ryan's real first name is Lynn Okay, l Y and n Now he goes by Nolan, so we can't call him Lynn Ryan. But the great don't you find it odd that the greatest power pitcher of all time his real first name is Lynn and he struck out fifty seven hundred batters.
Speaker 1: I mean, and then when you think about Christy Matthewson, Sandy Kofax, a lot of female names in those spincers.
Speaker 3: That was terrible. Jeremy shapp our dear.
Speaker 4: Friend who now apparently this podcast like he's got better things to do with his life.
Speaker 3: He mentioned Granny Hamner. Granny Hamner at shortstop, we could have used him and Willie weinbab my dear friend from ESPN. He said, well, the sports writer for the team has to be Shirley Povich. So oh yeah, I left out a lot of names, And thank you to everyone for not necessarily correcting me, but adding important names that we forgotten to that point, Jeff, somebody called in and said, how could you leave Babe Ruth out and name? But but Jeff, listen, I've given this a little bit of thought. I want you to answer the question. Are more guys named Babe who go by the name Babe than women? I think more men go by babe. I know they are baseball players. Babe Ruth, Babe Herman Babe Dolgren, Babe Adams, and a bunch more going by Babe Okay football players, Babe Laffenberg, Babe Parilli. I grew up watching him play and with girls. I mean, we have Babe Didrison Zaharias, who's the greatest probably female athlete of all time. But I think there are more babes who are men than women. Is that possible that we're right about that?
Speaker 1: I think I don't know enough babes. You just listed every babe and I didn't know most of them. I know Babe Herman. I always thought that was a weird name though, because Babe Ruth, he's George Herman Ruth. And then there's a babe I'm eighteen ninety five, and then born in nineteen oh three is Babe Herman. So there's no like one would think, oh, what a cool thing, we'll call him babe. No, they're unrelated because Babe Ruth was eight years old when Babe Herman was born, So there's no way. I mean, he hit a lot of home runs, but he didn't start at eight years old, that's for sure, right, all right.
Speaker 3: The other thing that from last week, Jeff, is that I said again that Get Smart is my favorite sitcom of all time and that will never change. And I actually showed my Get Smart lunch box, which I received as an adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a little bit of a show and tell session, and you were such a little proud little sports writer walking up there. Hey, guys, today I brought in my Get Smart lunchbox.
Speaker 3: I got five emails from friends saying they heard about my Get Smart lunchbox. Three of them are wondering where can they get one. This is what we've done. And Jeff I mentioned Bill Chuck on the air. He's a baseball guru. He's a lunatic in the best possible way. As a thing called billy Ball. You need to subscribe. He's got some good stuff on there. So he texted me about the time. He said, do you remember when Maury Wills, who was the MVP of the National League in nineteen sixty two, appeared on Get Smart? He said, do you remember the episode? And I said, well, of course I do. He got killed in the episode. He got a banana in the mail. This is how this is how all the chaos killed all the control agents. If you received a banana in the mail, you were the next to be killed by a killer gorilla. So yes, And what I didn't know a Bill Chuck reminded me is that the Maury Wills's name in Get Smart in the one episode is Roberts, and the manager of the Dodgers is Dave Roberts, who was also a base steeler. So we had a lot of we had a lot of reaction to last year last week's podcast, and it was all stupid, but it was all really fun.
Speaker 1: And I mean rumor is that Dave Roberts has received a couple of packages with bananas in the mail to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: We're not sure what that means. But Get Smart fans no, right.
Speaker 3: Well, they know they got to put it together here quickly, all right, Jeff, those are just a few reactions from last week that I got a mile chuckle out of more than a mile chuck.
Speaker 2: Well, Dad, let's jump right into the takeaways.
Speaker 1: Then. First of all, before we get there, all of these emails we're getting is through Great Game or what dot com. That's where Dad is able to access those emails.
Speaker 2: So if you ever have a.
Speaker 1: Question, Dad, I just I've said it before, I said.
Speaker 2: It multiple times.
Speaker 1: I love that you're able to now have this direct line with members of our family that want to listen and want to chat with you.
Speaker 2: So, great game or what dot com?
Speaker 1: Scroll down and I'll say, you know, reach out to us or whatever it's there, you can find it and message us there.
Speaker 2: All right, takeaway, stab, what do you have? All right?
Speaker 3: Well? Cal Rowley leads to takeaways again. How many times do you think he has led the take this year? Five more? What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think there's at least two titles of episodes that involve him, right, he has been huge this season.
Speaker 3: Well, this time he tied through Sunday Mickey Mantle with the most homers in a season, fifty four by a switch hitter, Mickey Mantle, Jeff, He's the greatest switch hitter of all time. So it got me to thinking, I did this pretty much off the top of my head. So I don't want anyone screaming at me, even though you're allowed to. There's a Hall of Famer at every switch hitting Hall of Famer at every position from what I can tell, Catcher, So this is a team tim top of my head, Ted Simmons, Eddie Murray at first base, Frankie Frish or Roberto Alomar at second base. Ozzie Smith is my shortstop. I'm going to pick one at each position. There are multiple guys. Alfield, a third base, of course, is Chipper Jones. Altfield is Pete Rowe, Mickey Mantle to repeat, the greatest switch hitter of all time, and Tim Raids, who was a great, great, great player. And that doesn't include, of course, Carlos Beltron and Lance Berkman, who I think both someday will be in the Hall of Fame. I think they both belong. And I did not think of a pitcher. I figured it out. I was very proud of myself. Mordecai three Finger Brown was a switch hitter, and I'm sure there are others switch hitting Hall of Fame pitchers, but he's the first one I could think of, and I stopped right there. And also Jeff Vita Blue, a non Hall of Famer but a great pitcher in his day, is still the answer to a very fun question, who is the last American League switch hitter to win the MVP? The answer Vita Blue in nineteen seventy one, but no one really knew because he is the pitcher. But that was pre designated hitter, so he had to bat.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great team, Tam, And I know you kind of did it on a whim there, but I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Well, it's important and it's relevant because people ask me today, is Cal Rawley the greatest switch hitting catcher of all time? Well he might be someday, but we have a switch hitting catcher at least one Ted Simmons in the Hall of Fame. So yeah, I enjoyed putting that together at the last minute. Jeff. The A's can really really hit. They don't pitch very well, and obviously they're not going to the playoffs, but I saw this. I got a kick out of this. So Sunday Jacob Wilson, Nick Kurtz, who is an amazing player. He's got over thirty homers and eighty RBIs. Only two other A's rookies have ever done that, hose Can Seko and Mark maguire, and they both won the Rookies of the Year that year. Brent Rooker and Colby Thomas, the two through five guys in the order on Sunday for the A's all hit home runs and that's the I'm shocked to hear this. It's the first time that the A's can say that since nineteen thirty when Mulebaas, Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons and Jimmy Fox all did it from the two through five spots in the orders. That's a long time. Given how good the A's were Carne Lanford, you know, Conseko Maguire, David Henderson, they never did that. I was really surprised to hear that. Also, speaking of really good catchers, Sal Perez of the Royals hit home run number three hundred and drove in his one run number one thousand. Remember we went over this, Jeff, how one thousandth I have a lot of trouble saying.
Speaker 2: That one thousand. It's not easy.
Speaker 3: Not easy. Yeah. So George Bratt is the only other Royal with three hundred homers and one thousand RBIs and the only catchers to get there in their first fourteen years, like Sal Perez, are Mike Piazza for me, the greatest hitting catcher ever to play in the Major leagues, Johnny Bench, greatest catcher ever and in the Major leagues, and Yogi Berra's second greatest catcher in Major League history, according to me, not to anybody else. Josh Gibson. It might be the greatest catcher of all time now that we've taken the Negro league stats and brought them in. Those numbers are just ridiculous. But sal Perez just another step towards making it to the Hall of Fame. So, Jeff, on Sunday, the Mets won a game they had lost eight in a row, and Pete Alonso hit a three run walk off homer. He's got five walk off homers now, most by any Met ever, and I think it was very fitting that he hit the three run homer because he's done. He's in a lot of home runs, especially in the right center field like Sunday to break things open. And again, I'm a big believer, Jeff. One swing, one event can turn the fortunes of a team. So let's just see if the big hit by Pete Alonso turns the tide for the New York Mets. It might who knows.
Speaker 1: I know, Mets fans are completely tortured, and they do have a day off on Monday night, so obviously this is released on Tuesday. So they'll play tonight at home against the Padres, who you know, another playoff team right there, and a potential matchup. You never know how things are gonna fall when it comes to the playoffs. The NL wild card is just nuts right now. So is the AL wild card for that matter.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a great final. Two weeks Anthony Rizzo last one announced his retirement. So Anthony Rizzo is one of my favorite players, really good guy. And Jeff, remember he caught the final out on a ground ball to that Chris Bryant to third for the final out of the twenty sixteen World Series. Cubs win for the first time in a million years. And you remember what he did, Jeff, after he caught the out, caught the ball at first. I mean, this showed incredible court awareness. He put the ball in his back pocket.
Speaker 2: That's right. And I remember I was at that game, I remember, right.
Speaker 3: And I thought that was amazing self awareness to understand that this is a historic ball and it's staying with me. So he put it in his back pocket. He ran in and jumped on the dogpile. It was pretty cool. So Anthony Rizzold not a Hall of Famer, but he had a really really good career and among the odd things that he did, so he hit over three hundred homers and got hit by a pitch over two hundred times. So he and Don Baylor are the only players ever to have three hundred homers and two hundred hit batters in their careers. And you know, let's keep in mind, you know, Mickey Mantalou we mentioned earlier, got hit by a pitch thirteen times in his entire career, and it's just this guy got hit all the time and it didn't seem to bother him, just like he didn't bother Don Baylor. I'll never forget seeing Anthony Rizzo in spring training maybe five years ago, still with the Cubs, and he interviewed him and I said, so what now, and he looked, this is spring training. He looks, and he looks at me, and he goes, all right, I'm gonna go see if I can still hit this spring, because this is how hard the skill of hitting is. Jeff. Every spring he went to spring training, much like Aaron Boone did, wondering am I still going to be able to do this even in the prime of his career. That's how hard hitting a baseball is.
Speaker 1: Dad, did you see the note from a member of our family, Eric Hibbler?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did, and I it said, tell everyone what it said, Jeff.
Speaker 1: So, he's a music teacher and a massive Chicago Cubs fan. And well, Anthony Rizzou was in the stands. This is so neat at Wrigleyfield on Saturday, just hanging out with fans. He had a jersey with all these signatures in the back of it. I assume we're fans signing his jersey because he loves he the Cubby fans. I mean, it's massive and they Eric sent us a kind of a cork gin here, which is really neat. He said, only two players have three hundred home runs and have struck out a former MVP while on the mound.
Speaker 2: Those two day Ruth and Anthony Rizzo.
Speaker 3: Right, and that was cool. That was absolutely priceless when he struck out Freddy Freeman, who laughed out loud because it's a blowout game and everything else said it was a good curveball that Anthony Rizzo threw. So Eric, thank you so much for that. And look, I'm not disputing, but I didn't check with Frank from the Elias on this, and we have to be accurate on things like this. But I did go back through Jimmy Fox's career. Jimmy Fox, of course, hit five hundred homers and then pitched for the Phillies at the end of his career in nineteen forty five. And I went back through this morning, through every pitching appearance by Jimmy Fox, just to make sure that Eric was right, wasn't. I wasn't questioning you.
Speaker 4: Eric.
Speaker 3: I'm sure your son is exactly right, but I have to be sure, so I hope this is true. But if it is, what a cool dough and it is.
Speaker 1: Shout out to his son Grant, and thank you Eric for listening and for sending us stuff in.
Speaker 2: We love it. Next on is this a great game or what?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 2: We'll get into more quark gins.
Speaker 1: We have another team, tim, because this seems to be the popular thing that everybody wants, including.
Speaker 2: On this state baseball history. It's all coming up next.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, what are your quark chins going into this week?
Speaker 3: Okay? Well, you know how much I love James Wood and his dad, Kenny Wood, so this pains me to bring this up, but you know, stats are stats, History's history. James Wood became the first player two hundred strikeouts this year. He did it in one hundred and forty four games. That's not the major league record for fewest games to two hundred strikeouts. Chris Carter one hundred and thirty seven games as the record holder. But James Wood recorded his twenty sixth hat trick, so twenty six times this year three or more strikeouts in the game. That ties the major league record held by Joey Gallo and Mark Reynolds. We mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. We have to update it because that's our kind of our responsibility, at least with the quirt Chins. And speaking of strikeouts, Jeff, this is so amazing. But Aaron Judge of course passed, just passed Yogi Berra on the all time list, and then he passed Joe DiMaggio on the all time list for the Yankees, so he's got the fourth most home runs in the history of the New York Yankees. Now, look, Jeff, you know when I make these apples and oranges comparisons, that's exactly what they are. It doesn't matter. But it's still amazing to me that Aaron Judge hit more home run, has hit more homers than Joe Demagio, but he has almost one thousand more strikeouts. Than Joe Demaggio had in his career, and Judge has maybe ten years left. I mean, that's how good he is. There's no telling how many home runs he's going to hit. And I'm still amazed by this after all these years. Joe DiMaggio never his strikeout high in a season is thirty nine. That's the most he ever And by the way, in nineteen forty one, the year year he hit in fifty six straight games, he struck out thirteen times. So I used that in a notes column in the eighties. In the eighties Jeff at the Dallas Morning News, and I'm not going to say who it was, but one of my broadcast friends got a little bit confused and he saw what I wrote, and he said on the air, this is hard to believe. But the year that Babe Ruth hit sixty homers nineteen twenty seven, the only struck out thirty times.
Speaker 5: So he got the sixty homer mixed up with the fifty six game hitting street.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean it's a natural mistake. But Joe Demaggio never struck out more than thirty nine times in a season. And Aaron Judge, and I'm only pointing this out Jeff to show the difference in the pitching that we see today. Twenty seventeen, Aaron Judge set the major League record, which still stands, of course, for most consecutive games with at least one strikeout at thirty seven. So DiMaggio's strikeout high was thirty nine, and Aaron Judge struck out in thirty seven consecutive games. Pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: That is pretty incredible, all right.
Speaker 3: Speaking to the Yankees, Luis Heal had an interesting line the other day, six innings, pitched no hits, and they took him out after six innings, which is not a surprise anymore that a guy has taken out with a no hitter going. But he also had four walks in that game. He had two while pitches at a bock, which I thought was kind of odd. A guy pitches six no hit innings, but he walks for guys, shows two wild pitches, and has a box. So I checked with Frank from the Elias and I said, Frank, tell me, has anyone ever had a line quite like this? And Frank rode back, No, not since the mound was moved to its place in ninety three, of course, Jef, that's eighteen ninety three where they moved the mound to sixty feet six inches and so no one has other than Louise Heel has ever done that. And you don't even need two wild pitches, you only need one in that and he got two. So that just shows you how odd that was. And speaking about odd, jeff Yvonne Herrera, catcher for the Cardinals, got hit by a pitch twice in consecutive games. Two hit by pitches. Then the next game he got hit twice. Again. That sounds like a lot.
Speaker 2: Right, it does. Sounds painful, r all right.
Speaker 3: So Willie Castro did that last year. I was surprised. And the last guy to do that before that was Derek Dietrich in twenty nineteen. So it's a bit odd, but I you know, we we had a lot of hit by pitches in this season and a lot of hit by pitches of the show, so we thought we'd bring it up. And the last one, Jeff Cody Clemens hit three home runs in a game. That is Roger Clemens's son, So I checked. Roger Clemens gave up three homers in a game seventeen times and four or more twice, so Cody Clement. I was just wondering how it compared to his famous father's home runs. You know, Clemens for is one of the great pitchers of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 1: I actually interviewed Cody Clemens at spring training when he was with the Phillies, and I thought it was so funny. And the first thing we remarked about was the fact that how many times is my dad.
Speaker 2: Talk to your dad? We thought that was really really great and both in the same position. And also, Dad, if you were calling.
Speaker 1: I know I've told this on the podcast before, but when I talked to Dicky Knowles, I said, how many times have.
Speaker 2: You chatted with my dad? And you guys go way back?
Speaker 1: So here I am interviewing him and you interviewed him a million times.
Speaker 3: Yes, the early eighties Dicky Knowles, Yeah, really really enjoyed him. He's a funny dude and he does some really good things to help people who need help. Good for Dickie, even.
Speaker 2: Even he joked about it.
Speaker 1: Early eighties Dicky Noles to today Dicky Knowles are two very different interviews, and I definitely got the easier one of the two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was afraid of Dickey knowles in the mid eighties, believe me.
Speaker 4: But that's another story for another day.
Speaker 2: What did you just get up to get d Did you go get baseball cards or something?
Speaker 3: What is Jeff? I'm we're gonna do this very organically, and you didn't even know this is coming, as you know, Jeff, down in the downstairs basement. In the basement there's a bathroom and I went in there and I just said, all right, I'm going to pick out three cards and we're going to use him on the air this week. I don't care what three they are. If I don't have a story, we're not using it. Boy, did I ever get lucky? So the first one is Jim Dwyer. So I covered Jim Dwyer when he played for the Orioles. He was a really good pinch hitter. He was a he could really hit, but he didn't play every day because he hit left hand and he didn't play much against left handers. But the note on him is he told me once when he plays golf, he carries certain clubs that are left handed and others that are right handed, and he hit some shots right handed and some shots left handed. That's pretty weird, don't you think, But.
Speaker 2: I mean, does he do it in the sense of convenience?
Speaker 1: Like there are times when I'm playing golf and I get myself in a situation where I wish I was left handed because I'm I'm gonna hit a tree or I'm gonna hit what or is it really like one hundred yards out?
Speaker 2: I like hitting my fifty.
Speaker 3: Six here, just more comfortable hitting some shots left handed and other shots right handed.
Speaker 1: So maybe I should try that, yeah, Because I mean, have you ever thought about.
Speaker 3: Adam done? Adam Dunn's wife asked after his terrible, terrible, terrible season, have.
Speaker 4: You ever considered batting left handed? And he said, no, that's not how it works, all right.
Speaker 3: The second one, this is incredible. This is R. J. Reynolds who played for the Pirates million years ago, and when I was so I got to know the Pirates really well nineties because they were always in the playoffs. But R. J. Reynolds went to R. J. Reynolds High School, I believe in North Carolina. So what are the chances of a guy who goes by his initials. R. J. Reynolds went to R. J. Reynolds High School. I mean, that would be like my name being Walter Johnson. And I went to Walter Johnson High School. Speaking of which, what.
Speaker 2: Jeff, That just like blows my mind.
Speaker 1: And there was a guy when you were wearing a Walter Johnson sweatshirt who thought your name.
Speaker 2: Was Walter Jratz Jef.
Speaker 3: I went to miss Sandwich shop wearing my fleece pull over with Walter Johnson on it, and he said to me name and then he looks at my shirt and he goes, so you are Walter, And.
Speaker 4: I said, know that that's the school I went to. I don't walk around with with sweaters with my name on them.
Speaker 1: Well, one of my favorite like connections between school and kid is my cousin Lane Kirkchen, your niece.
Speaker 2: She went to Jones Lane.
Speaker 1: And her second grade teacher was Missus Jones, right, so she had Lane had Missus Jones at Jones Lane, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just like Kelly Kirkchen had miss Kelly in the fourth grade. So what you were supposed to do was give your teacher's name and then your last name. So so Kelly says Kelly because it's the teacher Kirkchin. And three times she got corrected by the person saying no, no.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want your name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want your name. So Kelly Finance. My teacher's name is miss Kelly, and my last name is Kirkchin. Kelly Kirchin. All right, last one. Jeff is one of my favorite players I ever covered. Mitch Williams. I picked out three names. I got Jim Dwyer, RJ. Reynolds, and Mitch Williams. So Mitch Williams is, you know, one of the hardest throwing closers ever. He was a very successful closer, but he was also one of the wildest pictures of all time. Jeff, go back and look. He gave up more walks than hits aloud in his career. I mean, he was so hard to hit because he had great stuff. He threw hard, and he was the wildest man in the world. Although he told me once that his brother Bruce, his older brother Bruce, was a pitcher also and he was wilder than Mitch was.
Speaker 2: Wow. So Mitch saying something, Miss Mitch Williams nickname was wild.
Speaker 3: Wild saying right, he said. He famously said he said, I pitched like my hair is on fire, and that was almost a literal distinction. So Mitch Williams told me once. He said, I said, your brother Bruce was wilder than you. He goes, yeah, well, we would play catch in the front yard in the high school. In high school, he said.
Speaker 5: Like parents would come running out of their house and scream to the kids get off the street. The Williams boys are playing.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: Only Mitch Williams would share a story like that.
Speaker 3: I love it. Okay, So those are my baseball cards from nowhere, Jeff. I just picked it. I just picked them up this morning. I'm just wid in there and went to the bathroom, said I'm picking three hour. We're going to use it on the podcast. And those were the three Jim D RJ. Reynolds and Mitch Williams. How great is that?
Speaker 1: I love that, Dad, and I love that. You kind of surprised us with that.
Speaker 2: We haven't done it. It's in the cards in a while, and that was a little bit of a take on it.
Speaker 3: I start doing this every week now, Jeff. Three cards from the bathroom. How about that?
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 1: That's a great ring to it for a segment. Dad, three cards from the bathroom.
Speaker 3: All right, I got it.
Speaker 1: As long as you don't do the show from the bathroom. I think it's going to be a successful segment, right, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff, this date in baseball history is that? Right? Is that? Where we are?
Speaker 2: What do you have on today? September the sixteenth?
Speaker 3: Okay, On this date in nineteen eighty eight, Tom Browning pitched a perfect game for the Cincinnati Reds. Tom Browning was a really good the late Tom Browning was a really good pitcher, had a great change up and through a perfect game in the major leagues. And I'm going to tell you the story again though, Jeff. In nineteen ninety two years later, he is pitching for the Reds and they are in the World Series and they are playing in Oakland, and his wife is pregnant and she's ready to give birth any second. But he's at the game. He's in full uniform and then he and he's a starting pitchers, so chances are they won't need him. But the game goes late, it's going to extra innings, and Louke Penela calls down looking for Tom Browning and he's not in the bullpen because he has left as he should have to go be with his wife who was giving birth to their first child. And he went and he went to the hospital in full uniform. So the next day I asked him, I said, Tom, did anybody ask you, like, what are you doing in the hospital in a full uniform? And he said, I think they.
Speaker 5: I guess they think thought I was just like a really big fan of the Reds. He came straight from the bullpen to the hospital and everything turned out well with his wife.
Speaker 3: We love that.
Speaker 1: A dear friend of mine, Donnie, he says that he has his own problems with grown men wearing jerseys.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a hymn thing.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with it, but I would have a problem with a grown man wearing a full baseball uniform doesn't play for the team right to a game. I don't think that's for fans. Let's keep the pants on the players.
Speaker 2: You can wear the jersey though.
Speaker 3: I'm good with that, all right on this dage. In two thousand and seven, Jim Tomy, one of my favorites, hit home run number five hundred of his career. Of course, he hit over six hundred home runs before he was done, and he was a big Cubs fan. He grew up in Illinois and he loved, loved Dave Kingman. So when he was like, I don't know, eight, nine, ten years old, somehow right before the game, Jim Tomy somehow got over the rail and went into the dugout, like five minutes before a major league game, to go up and say hello to Dave, and Dave give.
Speaker 4: Me it had to say, look, kid, you got to get out of here.
Speaker 3: The game's going to.
Speaker 4: Start in five minutes. But I just love how resourceful.
Speaker 3: Jim Toby was that he could get down into the Cubs dugout at say hello to Dave Kingman, his baseball hero. And now, all these years later, over six hundred homers.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is impressive too, because even Jim Tony as a kid was probably very big something. He's not like this, probably a big, little dodgy kid who's sneaking through. I mean he's probably seven years old, five to six.
Speaker 4: Right, it's a big kid, yes, all right.
Speaker 3: On this date in nineteen twenty four, Hank Peters was was born Jeff Hank Peters was the general manager of the Orioles during the time that I covered them late seventies, early eighties, but mostly eighty six through eighty nine. I got along famously with Hank. He was very helpful to me, a very gentleman and a very kind man. And I'll never forget.
Speaker 4: He worked for Edward Bennett Williams, who was the most one of the most demanding owners ever, because Edward Bennet Williams was one of the great lawyers.
Speaker 3: In the history of the law practices and one of the biggest figures in the history of our country as far as barristers go and everything else. So Hank told me that they're at the podium after the nineteen eighty three They're at the podium with the World Championship trophy up in the air, and Edward Benet Williams whispers to Hank, I'm worried about next year, seeing we just won the World Series and you are worried about next year. Oh, I just love it. Born on this date in nineteen fifty eight, Oral Hersheiser, my dear friend, one of the great pitchers ever, had one of the great eighty eight seasons ever. And so he told me the story. He wins the cy Young in eighty eight and he's he's the MVP of everything in the postseason because everything he did just turned to gold and the Dodgers, of course, won the World Series. So he told me he got invited to the White House for a special baseball night. And he gets out of you know, the car that brings him to the White House, and he's greeted by like a marine there who's like jacked out in his marine outfit, and he's that marine is there to make sure everyone gets out of their car and gets into the White House correctly.
Speaker 4: An Oral Seizer who's a mischievous sort, looks at the looks at the marine and says, I'm a little short on ones.
Speaker 3: Can I get you later?
Speaker 4: He was gonna tip, He's gonna tip. It's gonna tip a marine at the White House for opening up his.
Speaker 3: Car door, and the marine, to his eternal credit, looked at Oral Herscheiser and said that'll be enough.
Speaker 4: Mister cy Young like what back out of which.
Speaker 3: Was absolutely great. So, Jeff, since it is Oral Hersheiser's birthday, I came up with the team tim for this week. Can you guess with the word Oral will spell it O R A L instead of E L.
Speaker 2: Can mere talking about Dental High Gi.
Speaker 3: Yes, the All Dental All and Slash Teeth team. Our catcher is Chad.
Speaker 2: Moehler m O E L L e R.
Speaker 3: Never heard of this guy, but I looked him up. Robert Brush played one game at first base in nineteen o seven, So now we have a molar and a brush.
Speaker 2: Never heard what did he do after that game?
Speaker 1: He went over to the factory to help build the model t Who knows one fay time job.
Speaker 3: I'm Jeff, I'm looking for a first basement for Team tim an outcome, I said, I wonder if anyone's ever named Brush? So I look up Brush. Robert Brush one game in nineteen o seven. Love it? Hey check a basement? Who knew Lewis Drill played second base. There's a guy who played in the Big league for the last name Drill. Patrick Wisdom is our third baseman. Rocky Bridges is our shortstop, because of course Bridges go in your mouth again, huge, huge, huge stretch here. Shinsu Chu spelled choo, but for our purposes at h E W w okay, Mark Witton spelled w h I T e N, which really also sounds like whiton, which we do with our teeth. Right. So Mark Witten is one of our outfielders. Hit four home runs in one game and gets stretched and cast far. Cap Anson is one of our is. He was more of a first baseman, but he played the outfield a bunch of games in the outfield, so he's one of our outfielders. Charlie Root is one of the pitchers. And I needed to combine the other two pitchers is because they actually faced off against each other more than once in the major leagues, Matt Kin and Yvonne Nova. So we had a pitching starting pitching matchup of Nova Kane. Jeff, I the first time it happened, it was maybe the greatest day of my whole life, other than when you and Kelly were born. I mean, Nova Kane are starting against each other in a major league game.
Speaker 2: Dad, I think that's good.
Speaker 1: But I do think there's one maybe person that we're missing in.
Speaker 2: The pitching staff.
Speaker 3: Yes, give me.
Speaker 2: Doc Ellis, doc doctor, all right.
Speaker 1: Doc kellis a doctor is a you know, while they're a dentist called doctor.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but there's also Doc Mattic and Doc Kramer. We have a few docs. I see what you're going, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Look, I was just trying to add to the pitching stack.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure when we send this out tomorrow, all sorts of people are going to call back with better ideas that I have, but I'm all for it. Look, this is not We're just trying to have a little fun with this. If you get better my list, I love it. Please, this is not the list. It's just a dumb list that I came up with. The all Dental slash Teeth team in honor of Oral Hersheiser's birthday. I love that.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, thank you for another great episode. A little teaser here, Dad, I, your son, have created my very own Team Tim, and I'll give it to you on Thursday.
Speaker 3: All right, now, are you gonna give me any clues to see if I can come up with a better version or are you completely on your own for Thursday? Because I'm happy to leave this in your hands. Jeff, that's Jeff, I think. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Here's your clue. Here's your clue, and I want you to here. Here's what we'll do.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a clue and you create a team based upon this clue. Okay, and if you miss, if you miss what the subject is, that's fine. We'll have two team Tims. Jeff Kirkchin in high school. That's all I'm gonna say, think about me in high school.
Speaker 2: I don't say anything.
Speaker 3: No, I already got it. It's the all dork team. Is that it?
Speaker 1: I said, Jeff Kirkshon, not Tim Kirkshon in high school.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Nat, I love you, and you have been set.
Speaker 1: Up for life as a statistician and a career baseball man. But I was not on the hood of my car playing playing APBA with my future dentist.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was you, Jeff. I told you don't be like me. You can be way better than me. You are way better than me. You are a million times more talented than I am. The stuff that I know is pointless. It is useless, but people seem to enjoy it. So we're going to keep throwing it out there. All right, the all Jeff, I know what it is. Jeff. We're going to take all the parts that you played in high school in the school plays. We're going to use those names to come up with a baseball team and our left field there's going to be nicely Nicely Johnson.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, because right he played for the uh he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, onto the Planets.
Speaker 3: Nicely john cyber Jeff Kirchin in high school. That's a great clue. I'm going to come up with my own list. But you're on the clock, Jeff. You are doing the team Tim on Thursday. It's going to be called the Team Jeff.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Team Jeff on Thursday. Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.