Speaker 1: It's Me podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art and today we're joined by Randall, Seth, Corey, Max, Marge and Logan. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. There is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. All right, we have a mail bag question today. If you have a mail bag question, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line mail bag and the crew maybe answer it on a future episode. This is from Chuck Jennings. He says, I'm moving this summer and I'm looking to buy my first gun cabinet. It's pretty overwhelming and a big investment. Do you have any brands or features you recommend? Looking for any advice thoughts from the crew.
Speaker 1: Just make sure big enough.
Speaker 2: Big enough. Yeah, I would say the number one thing is that a gun safe. Gun cabinet ratings are a lot like sleeping bags or tents, and that if it says it's rated for twenty guns, you're probably only getting ten of them in there. Twenty guns is like if they're all twenty two's without any optics and you don't keep any optics or any amo or the other things that gun safe tend to collect. So overshop, if Chuck has twelve guns he's looking to protect, maybe look for a twenty four gun cabinet gun safe.
Speaker 3: Here's a question for you.
Speaker 4: Yes, gun cabinet or gun safe.
Speaker 2: He says, gun cabinet. My guess is he's using it interchangeably. Max pointed this out earlier when I told him this is a question would be answering. A gun cabinet is like a wooden thing with glass doors.
Speaker 3: You can break into it really easy.
Speaker 2: Okay, a gun cabinet, it wouldn't be fireproof. Is that? Is that how you would define it?
Speaker 5: That's how I would define it. Like if you buy a metal locker, Yes, that's I would call that a gun cabinet when I'm stack one exactly Like it's like a steel box.
Speaker 2: With a door, doesn't have a fire rating, doesn't have a fluck.
Speaker 1: And it's not heavy as sin.
Speaker 2: He says, cabinet. My guess is he's in the market for a cabinet or a safe. So when you're giving Chuck your advice, Randall either one. What do you have for Chuck Man?
Speaker 5: I just think for the amount of money it's spend on a gun safe, you could buy a few guns that you wouldn't mind getting stolen.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'll be honest.
Speaker 5: I've never imagined myself owning a gun safe, just based on the sticker price. For those of you that own gun safe, power to you. I don't have a lot of sentimental attachment to my firearms. Not to say that I'm looking to lose them in a fire or a home invision, but I just there's it would take a lot for me to think, like, here's where I want to dump all this cash. On the other hand, people can't move safes. My buddy had a guy wrote or he had a crew of teens roll a gun locker full of guns out of his house. Wow, and to the back of a Honda Cord. You couldn't have done that with a gun safe.
Speaker 2: Did he get the gun cabinet back?
Speaker 5: No, he got one of the guns back. I think I've told the story before. He got one of the guns back when it was released from the evidence hold in a homicide trial. But most of the guns probably went into He was told that most of them probably went into a body of water.
Speaker 1: Because they were so obscure. Damn. Yeah, Like.
Speaker 5: Just like, who's going to commit a crime with a nine to three by seventy two?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I gun lockers, like buy him big, because not only do you want to fit the guns in there, you don't want to have to move.
Speaker 1: Guns around to get a gun out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, It's just the whole thing is bad.
Speaker 7: I would say if if he says he's moving, right, he's moving, so I think he's waiting until the move happens, and yeah, wants to like make sure it fits in his space. I'll just say maybe in his new house he has like a closet, there's something that you can lock up and have like a little gun room rather than a gun cabinet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a Hornet is safe is making components where you can build you can like frame in I love that a little locker into your closet and then put the door on it. I believe Hornety is doing that, but that's probably what I would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My friend now who had the locker.
Speaker 5: Stolen, he has a space under his stairs.
Speaker 1: That he's made into a safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have what you would define as a cabinet or locker. If a fire comes through my house, I don't think like my guns are going to be in the top twenty five things I'm thinking about, you know, after a tall set and donner wall.
Speaker 3: It's happening.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like taking that risk that if a flutter fire happens, my guns are gone. Corey Max, any advice for Chuck and don't lose those keys to break into.
Speaker 4: The I'm still hung up on the safe versus cabinet.
Speaker 1: Think.
Speaker 6: When I think of cabinet, I'm thinking of at my lakehouse, It's like the guns are presented really nicely, you know, but then the gun is like are safe in the kitchen here?
Speaker 3: You know it's locked. You have to put multiple codes in there and in the kitchen here.
Speaker 1: I also don't have a lake house.
Speaker 6: No, but that's what I'm saying, Like, when I think of cabinet, I think of like really nice, elegant wood.
Speaker 5: So here's here's one that thought that I have when it comes to this stuff is I have A, I have a cabinet in my closet, but then I also just want to have a separate cabinet in my garage for guns that are just going in and out of my truck all the time. Okay, because I ended up just leaving a lot of guns laying around.
Speaker 2: Sure, I thought that was going to be your dummy cabinet.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, right now, the dummy cabinet is just like a rifle on my reloading bench, a rifle sitting on top of my drawers, a rifle laying on a folding table. But I'd like to have two, one for the in and out and one for like the shotguns that I bring out once a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to know that you're not a gun safe man.
Speaker 5: No. The other thing is I don't have enough room to lock up all of my guns when people with kids come over to our house, so then I spend an inordinate enough time hiding them in places above six feet.
Speaker 2: Tall, and then you lose, and then I can remember when I.
Speaker 1: Put them right. So there's no rad answer. You just got to know your own situation.
Speaker 2: Any other thoughts for Chuck before we move on?
Speaker 1: Great question, Gouck, Chuck.
Speaker 2: Today's episode is brought to you by Mountain Dew and thanks to them, you were getting some extra trivia this week between questions five and six. Today we'll have two bonus questions again thanks to our friends of Mountain Dew. All Right, the Shelby in extra today it is a five, so I'm putting us on perfect score alert. With that, we're onto the game of trivia played.
Speaker 4: The drop of bills not gonna happen for me today.
Speaker 2: I need to know what I shouldta wayam you just tend to win everything?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? On Suckers Question one, the topic is hunting. This first great question is via Matt Henderson and as always, it will be multiple choice. If a four to ten shotgun followed the same naming pattern as the twelve and twenty gauge, then what would it be called? Is it the twenty five point eight gauge, the forty point one gauge, the sixty seven point five gauge or ninety five point six gauge?
Speaker 3: Oh wow? Question?
Speaker 2: If a four to ten shotgun followed the same naming pattern as the twelve and twenty gauge, then what would it be called? The twenty five point eight gauge forty point one sixty seven point five ninety five point six. Randall quick to answers because you didn't because you knew it, or because you didn't want to think about it too hard.
Speaker 5: No, I've known this, Okay, I'm not certain, but it is something that I've looked into before.
Speaker 2: If a four to ten followed the same naming logic as a twelve and twenty gauge, what would it be called? Twenty five point eight gauge forty point one sixty seven point five ninety five point six?
Speaker 1: Makes me think about your punt gun episode.
Speaker 2: Here any day. No, it does come out later this week, and we address this exact thing in that episode. That's what made me think of this a few times now.
Speaker 4: Oh belief for you, I've yet.
Speaker 8: To see it, Okay, Max, have you watched it.
Speaker 3: I haven't know.
Speaker 9: We filmed it, filmed it.
Speaker 2: Get this one right, Yeah, if you'd watched it.
Speaker 8: I still think the video of you and Max pulling the string together.
Speaker 3: It was very cute.
Speaker 8: It was really cute.
Speaker 1: That make it it? Dang it?
Speaker 8: No, it's not myself.
Speaker 2: I got we'll do it.
Speaker 4: I know I shoot four tens all the time.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, No, yes, sure, Maxwell, how many four tens do you own?
Speaker 3: I only need one?
Speaker 1: Okay, but how money do you own one? I only need one rifle, but I got more one geez yeah, tell me about it.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready, Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says twenty five point eight, Logan sixty seven point five, Randall sixty seven point five, March sixty seven point five, Cory sixty seven point five, Maximus twenty five point eight. The correct answer is sixty seven point five.
Speaker 1: It did well.
Speaker 2: I think six, I think you and I we think got that one right. A twelve gage shotgun means it would take twelve solid lead balls the exact size of the barrel's diameter to get one pound. So for a four to ten that means it would take sixty seven point five lead balls that perfectly fit in the barrel to get one pound. The four to ten name refers to the point four to one zero inch bore diameter that the shotgun has. If you took a lead ball that fit exactly in the end of a twelve gage, twelve of those would make one pound of lead.
Speaker 3: Steve Talks thought this all the time.
Speaker 2: Sixty seven point five question too. The topic is fishing. This panfish inspired name is what bait shops often call small fat head minnows. This panfish inspired name is what bait shops often call small fat head minnows.
Speaker 3: All right, flip your boards, let's go.
Speaker 2: Minnows are minners.
Speaker 7: Either one side of the amazing Dixon you're on.
Speaker 2: Seth was just talking about getting a vending machine maybe, and I told me she put bait in there. Yeah, This panfish inspired name is what bait chomps often called small bat head minnows.
Speaker 1: I like that vending machine idea though.
Speaker 10: It's like an aquarium, and it's just like you want.
Speaker 1: It serves us both an aquarium and.
Speaker 4: A bit shop.
Speaker 2: These are a real thing, but usually it's like leeches and worms they're buying out of a bait vending machine.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have these.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking more of like a gumball machine. So it looks like a round aquarium.
Speaker 2: That's good too, Yeah, but the little spines, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Uh No?
Speaker 5: I sort of thought about this question backwards and now I'm starting from scratch again.
Speaker 2: Max, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Very confident, didn't even need to finish the question. He had his answer.
Speaker 1: How do you know this as a wallet? Dan?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, Just, I used to buy them all the time.
Speaker 6: You know, my lake house with my gun cabinet, good North Dakota. The sunnies are spawning at the local pond by my house. It's really cool, Just, I mean, they're all just little dinks, but they're just running around chasing each other and so aggressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't fished.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was fishing largemouth this past weekend and the the blue gill beds were where you were finding the large mouth Yeah, close by the blue gill beds.
Speaker 2: I was just in Minnesota and it was like peak bluegill spawn there, and they were so wildly aggressive that they would like swim up to my paddle of my kayak and want to fight it despite it being you know.
Speaker 7: I went through so many baits this weekend because of the freaking blue aggressive.
Speaker 2: They'll grab a wacky worm, no problem, They'll like go after a frog on the top water panfish inspired name is what bait shops often call small head minnows. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 6: No hold on?
Speaker 2: I hope I'm we distracted Seth very very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Though handfish inspired.
Speaker 2: This panfish inspired name is what bait shops often called small bad head minnows. Max isn't sure if he has it right now? Okay, pretty sure, Corey? Do you like your answer? Okay, Seth, Randall you boys ready?
Speaker 1: Uh sure?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says brim Logan shiners, Randall Croppy, Chubb Marge. Without an answer, Corey says Brimos, that's a great name. Maxwell says croppy. The correct answer is croppy minnows. So I think Max we would give it to. But if I give it to Max, then I need to give it to Crappy.
Speaker 1: Is closer. You have crappy.
Speaker 2: It's a crappy minnow.
Speaker 1: I would say.
Speaker 2: I'd say either either you both are getting it. You're neither one of you are going to get Well.
Speaker 6: Here's here's my thought. What do you call the other style minnow? The other well doesn't just be a.
Speaker 2: Fathead minnow or I think maybe somebody people would call him a Walleye minnow if you're in Minnesota or a.
Speaker 1: Let's give it to Max.
Speaker 3: I would give it to Randall.
Speaker 2: Let's give it to Max, don't give it to me, Okay, I like Maxwell gets that right. They are crappy minnows. Crappy minnows are simply smaller minnows, which are likely females or immature males. Bait shops will often sort their fat heads into two sizes, with crappy minnows being the shorter of the two. As the name implies, crappy minnows are small enough to fit in the mouth of crappie and other panfish. Here is a picture of a male versus a female fat head mino. On the top that would be your traditional fat head minnow, and on the bottom would be a crappy minnow reneth. Does that now sound familiar now that you've heard it?
Speaker 1: I know, I never who likes creek chubs, creek jubb. That's a good fish.
Speaker 6: Like Max isn't gonna win this game, so I don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought mine was not close. I second thought, I thought, you know, does say minnows in the question?
Speaker 8: That's kind of what I thought it was implied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good for you, Max.
Speaker 2: Question three, the topic is wildlife. This next great question, Joshua Banks. This animal with a colorful name is Africa's longest venomous snake. Hmm, the room has gone quiet. This animal with a colorful name is Africa's longest venomous snake.
Speaker 9: Bone for somebody who's just saith you were just over there, but he didn't like it and he won't go back.
Speaker 2: He didn't like it, maybe because of this colorful snake. This animal with a colorful name is Africa's longest venomous snake. Randall, do you have this one right? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's got a venomous snake in Africa, have colorful name. That's the question. Could that be open to interpretation?
Speaker 2: Marge is doing to me racing? Corey? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I sure hope.
Speaker 2: So this animal with a colorful name is Africa's longest venomous snake.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not going to answer it. So what's the question you can you can ask if.
Speaker 1: You if it's gonna give everyone hint.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just gonna say no.
Speaker 1: Though, what a real what a real hoophead? Like?
Speaker 2: The answer I'm not going to give you any.
Speaker 1: That's clever?
Speaker 2: Does that help you? Corey? I think I know what he's stepping in.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: What a real hoople head. Get this one right, hoople head is in Deadwood. What they would call maybe if you're going to call someone a really mean name, you know that started with like F instead, you'd call him a hooplehead in Deadwood the show.
Speaker 1: What's the meaning?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Just like silly Goose, same thing. You're just calling him something mean, but like in a more western quirky way.
Speaker 1: Mike just got unplugged.
Speaker 2: Here from Randall. The rest of the episode.
Speaker 1: Now come in, Phil you okay, connections.
Speaker 2: Over there for this animal with a colorful name is Africa's longest venomous snake. It's everybody ready, it's like this, it looks like that. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Set black mamba logan, black mamba logan, black mamba, March without an answer, Cory, black mamba, Maxwell without an answer. The correct answer is the black mamba. Yeah uh. And as Randall referred to, that was Kobe Bryant's nickname. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It throws me off when you use colorful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, colorful and like if you were in an art store.
Speaker 9: Other question, Yes, Randall, we lost your mic again.
Speaker 1: But we're just not gonna Maybe it's can you hear me?
Speaker 9: I'll come over there during the next question and try to colorful.
Speaker 1: That's gone again.
Speaker 8: That black black color doesn't mean colorful though a color, but it's one color. Colorful implies alerts.
Speaker 1: I there's.
Speaker 2: Colorful. The funny thing is mambas not even black. They're like olive.
Speaker 1: Am I backfill your backup? Just just try. I'm not going to touch it at all.
Speaker 2: Measuring over fourteen feet long, the black mamba is second only to the king cobra as the world's longest venomous snake. It's also one of the planet's fastest snakes, reaching twelve miles per hour in short bursts. Untreated humans have a ninety five percent mortality rate when bitten by black mamba, but if anti venom is quickly administered, fatality rates drop below ten percent. Seth, did you guys see any black moms?
Speaker 1: I wish they would have told us that when we were there. It's kind of like if you get bit, you're dead.
Speaker 7: Yes, I didn't see any, because you know I was in car too, But the dude's in car one saw one.
Speaker 2: Didn't they see them?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Like going the speed of the car.
Speaker 7: They came around a corner and there was one in the road trying to get get away. But then it turned and like came up over the hood of the vehicle and then scared.
Speaker 1: Off the film it No, there.
Speaker 7: Was on the roof of the truck trying to get away.
Speaker 1: The snake was coming up over there.
Speaker 2: Max's drawing was pretty good because I think it's like over half their body they can get in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah on the movie. Yeah, sorry, I saw rattlesnake this weekend. I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, spooky question for the topic it public lands. It was revealed in a twenty twenty two lawsuit that this man's treasure was found in Yellowstone National Park.
Speaker 1: Last name just last name.
Speaker 2: Last name will suffice. I respect the jeopardy rules when it comes to last name. It was revealed in a twenty two lawsuit that this man's treasure was found in Yellowstone National Park. Yeah, fill the engineers now on the scene.
Speaker 1: What a guy, Yeah sounds good. Mess with the other one. I think the other one was the one that was causing the issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was probably in there because what I did to mess it up moved the microphone arm down. So I think Phil fixed it brilliantly.
Speaker 1: He saw what the issue was and everything's better now.
Speaker 2: That's why they call him filed the Engineer. It was revealed in a twenty twenty two lawsuit that this man's treasure was found in Yellowstone National Park.
Speaker 3: I remember hearing about this, but.
Speaker 1: You should go watch the doc on.
Speaker 3: It, oh I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about the Meat.
Speaker 1: Eater podcast episode. Yeah, or read any.
Speaker 2: Of my articles. I know Spencer was twenty.
Speaker 8: Two.
Speaker 2: Did you ever go look for I mildly looked for it, so I of course, like they were like, I was close.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My best guess was that it was by gardener. I thought it would actually be in the Costernnational Forest right outside based on some clues. He talks about the House of Brown Yea, and he talks about the river on fire, which I thought would have been the Boiling River Yankee Jim Canyon. I thought was part of the salt. We could talk about it after, so I would like kind of plan rock hounting fishing hunting trips in the area, and you know, maybe just like look behind the logs or like you know, walk over to this creek to look at the stream bed just in case it was so I would say I was a hunter of this treasure.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: I wrote. I then wrote after after it was revealed that it was found, they didn't reveal the location until a few years later. In the weeks after it was found, I wrote anartical on her website saying, these are the four places I think it could be, and one of the four that I named was Yellowstone National Park. So I was satisfied that I had that part. Is everybody ready? It was revealed in a twenty twenty two lawsuit that this man's treasure was found in Yellowstone National Park. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says Finn Logan. Forest Fenn will give you Seth Randall says Forest Fan. Marge without an answer, Corey forst Fan Maxwell says Captain Jack Sparrow. Correct answer was Forest Fenn.
Speaker 7: Gosh.
Speaker 2: The hunt started in twenty ten after Forest Fenn left a series of clues about his treasure's location in a twenty four line poem. The stash was found by Jack Stuff a decade later, in twenty twenty, who spent twenty five days scouring the area before finding the chest. It wasn't until two years later that it was revealed that the treasure was found in Yellowstone, which came out in court documents via a lawsuit against Fenn. Apparently, after the treasure was fed, Fenn told a park ranger of its location, asking if the spot could handle extra foot traffic from tourists. The park ranger determined that was a bad idea. So no exact location has been revealed, but there's some agreement in the treasure hunting community that it was hidden at nine mile Hole on the Madison River. So you can find nine mile Hole on Madison River, it's not that far of a walk, then you will be in the vicinity of where the Forest Fan treasure was found. And the founder he said that he used the twenty four line poem. But then also there were some media interviews done later by Forrest Fen and it was a clue that was given in one of those media interviews that Jack Stuff said he picked up on that no one else did, which led him to the true Jack stu E. F Google says, you pronounced it stuff. I would have guessed it was Stuith, Yeah, but online says stuff. Question five, The topic is conservation. A rhino poacher won this award in twenty nineteen, which is given to those who quote improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from it in an obviously stupid way. The word award is in quotation marks in my question. A rhino poacher won this award in twenty nineteen, which is given to those who improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from it in an obviously stupid way. Randall the only player with an answer. Do you have this right?
Speaker 1: Randal? I do? I do, big fan.
Speaker 2: I've tried hounding Jack's stuff to just do an interview with us, give me five minutes on the phone. He won't do it. He's determined to just like be as anonymous as possible. I even bid on some of the treasure. What Jack did is he took everything and he pieced it up into like two hundred different things. The treasure was value to be worth like two million dollars. He then sold it through an auction house. I bid on some of the gold dust that was in the treasure, but came up well well short.
Speaker 1: Of what the sec how much? I don't remember now.
Speaker 2: The gold dust. I think I bid up to like one hundred dollars, and I think I don't think anything in there went for less than a grand. So did he get two mill He went way beyond two mils, and then he kept a couple pieces for himself. He was fully dedicated, like he retired. He was I think only in his late twenties. He quit his job to look look for the treasure and then he found it.
Speaker 6: Gosh, I should have done that, but then I wouldn't be here right now, that's right.
Speaker 1: Winning a lake house.
Speaker 6: I would have a couple of lake house gun cabinet, cabinet, a couple of really.
Speaker 1: Nice gun cabinet, really nice four cents.
Speaker 2: Again, we're on question five. The topic is conservation. A rhino poacher won this award in twenty nineteen, which is given to those who quote improve the gene pool by eminating themselves from it in an obviously stupid way.
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 2: Does everybody give up? Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers, says Darwin Award Logan Charles Darwin Randall Darwin Award Marge without an answer. Corey says the Dundees Max without an answer. The correct answer is the Darwin Award. So Logan, we'll give that.
Speaker 1: To you, yeah, darwn.
Speaker 2: Wendy north Cutt has been handing out Darwin Awards since nineteen ninety two. The honor is given to those who show evolution in action by doing something idiotic that results in death or sterilization. One of the five winners in twenty nineteen was a rhino poacher who was trampled by an elephant then eaten by a lion. Twenty eighteen featured a winner who was killed by a bear he tried taking a selfie with, and twenty twenty had a winner who died while looking for forest fans treasure. The wards are named after Charles Darwin, who's known as the father of evolution.
Speaker 9: Did the previous question inspire this question?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 1: It's really good? Masterful?
Speaker 2: All right, We're halfway through today's game of trivia, Phil.
Speaker 9: Everybody is on the board. Max and Maggie, however, only have one point for themselves. We got Seth and Cory up next with three points apiece and tied up in first place. A Randon Williams and hey, it's Logan, Dove.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you're high score? In the game is, Logan, do you have a guess as to what it would be?
Speaker 10: I think five is like the most over and that might have been in like the like the loser's bracket.
Speaker 1: That's surprising. I feel like you. I feel like you're a strong competitor and wide ranging knowledge.
Speaker 2: All right, and now it's time for our Mountain Dew Questions of the Week. Thanks to Mountain Dude, you can get some bonus trivia in this week's episode. This does not count towards your score. It's just for bragging. Right here, they are question one for Mountain Dew's Questions of the Week. The topic is public lands. Mountain Dew was created in Tennessee, just outside of what national park. We've got this question, and then we've got one more after this, the Mountain Dew Questions of the Week. Mountain Dew was created in Tennessee, just outside of what national park.
Speaker 3: Does it say on the box?
Speaker 2: I don't think it says by American do box? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Set, says Daniel Boon Logan without an answer. Randall says Great Smoky Mountains National Park Mark Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Corey and Max say Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They got it. The correct answer is Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I didn't have mountains, but I had great born just outside. Remember this doesn't count park our. Second Mountain Dude question of the Week. The topic is mountain men. What mountain man was captured by pirates and the Pawnee before becoming a trapper? And its multiple choice? Is it Hugh Glass, Jim Beckworth or Jim Bridger. This is the Mountain dew mountain Man question of the week. What mountain man was captured by pirates and the Pawnee before becoming a trapper? Hugh Glass, Jim Beckworth or Jim Bridger.
Speaker 10: You know, I was just kind of assumed like a lot of this stuff in parks and recreation was just like made up, like Pawnee Indians are Apparently that's.
Speaker 2: A real thing and they captured this person. Is everybody ready.
Speaker 1: Most of the rest of that show has made up.
Speaker 2: To and reveal your answer? Seth says Beckworth, Hugh Glass, Randall, Hugh Glass, Marge, Jim Beckworth, Corey and Maxways say Hugh Glass, they got it. The correct answer is Hugh Glass and Hugh Glass lived such an interesting life. They described him as the forest Uh what, the forest gump of mountain Men, right, Randall.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard that, but it makes sense, Okay.
Speaker 2: He was just all over the continent doing all kinds of crazy sting.
Speaker 5: In the Mountain Man audiobook, we described Jim Bridger as the forest gump the American West.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I have that, Maybe that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: But I think Hugh Glass is maybe a better case.
Speaker 2: But Richard didn't spend any time with the pirates.
Speaker 1: I know Bridger's later life though, he's just involved.
Speaker 5: He's like involved in the Mormon Wars and overland travel and all that stuff. But yeah, Glass is a real interesting really Just in case.
Speaker 2: Those are the Mountain Dew questions of the week. Enjoy the refreshing citrus kick of Mountain Dew and American original tasting great since forty eight. Look for American do limited time packaging in stores today.
Speaker 3: I like that rhyme.
Speaker 2: Question six. The topic is wildlife. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Adam Smith for sending this great question. Adam is going to get a one hundred and fifty dollars first like gift card. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. This seven letter gland is defined as quote the specialized organ that produces milk in mammals.
Speaker 1: A couple of new and incoming dads knew about.
Speaker 2: This one, Okay maybe?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Baby Maxwell, do you have seven letters?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 2: He was just at a baby appointment recently. That should help him. Today's question, this seven letter gland is you find as the specialized organ that produces milk in mammals. Corey, do you have this one right? I don't think I spelled it correctly, but you kind of get it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is it that?
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Marge?
Speaker 2: Are you drawing something for us? Where are you writing an answer? I can't tell you, but it's a cow.
Speaker 3: It's not what you guys think.
Speaker 2: Reveal your answers. Seth memory, logan lactate, Randall, memory, Marge memory, uh, Cory says memory, Maxwell memory. The correct answer is memory gland A spell M A M M A r y.
Speaker 1: There was three different spellings.
Speaker 2: I think which one did you land on? Was it correct?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Mammary glands are what make a mammal a mammal. In most male mammals, the mammary glands are underdeveloped and unused, but some species of bat have males that lactate and produce milk for offspring. The same phenomenon has been occasionally witnessed in goats. Question seven, the topic is hunting. This next great question is via Nathan Deson. This man who died at the Battle of Little Bighorn once accidentally shot his horse while while hunting bison. This man who died at the Battle of Little Bighorn once accidentally shot his horse while hunting bison. Seth Corey Randall.
Speaker 1: I can't name them all, but I'm answer.
Speaker 5: I'm willing to guess that there were multiple combatants that day that had done this exact thing.
Speaker 2: That you think they shot their horse while hunting bison and they died at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Yeah, okay, yeah, if you could, if you could find me some other example.
Speaker 1: It's like getting into a fender bender.
Speaker 5: This is common you have experience if you spend your life as an equestrian bison hunter. I feel like at some point you're going to accidentally shoot your horse.
Speaker 2: And died at the battle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know how some people use horses to hunt antelope?
Speaker 4: Was that what they were doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it in the flavor text.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like.
Speaker 7: When someone by actually shoots their rifle through the floor of their car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, shoot to toe off.
Speaker 1: But I would guess that this is more common.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like I'd be shooting my horse all the time.
Speaker 2: This man who died at the battle.
Speaker 1: How often do you accidentally honk your horn.
Speaker 2: Changing horses like he changes his underwear every other Everybody ready, Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says Custer. Bogan without an answer, Randall says Custer. Marge without an answer. Corey and Maxwell say General Custer. The correct answer is George Custer, although you could probably find someone else who fits this criteria. And I'll give you that point if you're able to. Custer told the story in his eighteen eighty seven book My Life on the Planes. He was riding his favorite favorite horse, Custis Lee, while hunting antelope with his five greyhounds on the Kansas Prairie. The antelope were losing him when Custer spotted a big bison. He then pursued the bull, and after a three mile chase, Custer readied his revolver, but just as he pulled the trigger, the buffalo swerved into Custer's horse, sending the bullet right into custis Lee's head. The horse died instantly and the bison got away. Here's a picture Phil has of General Custer. This was three years before his last stand. This was a bull that he killed by Yellowstone, A whopper of a.
Speaker 1: The anniversary is coming up.
Speaker 2: That's your anniversary, right, Yeah, good for you, Seth. Now you'll never get of course. Question eight. The topic is fishing. This dental term refers to the controversial fishing technique where anglers try to swing a leader into the mouth of a salmon that's swimming upstream. Mmm, Maxwell, Randall, Seth already have their answer. This dental term refers to the controversial fishing technique where anglers try to swing a leader into the mouth of a salmon that's swimming upstream. Randall, have you ever participated in this?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah you have?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Did you feel okay about it?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't like sake.
Speaker 2: You really need to do this the only way.
Speaker 1: I was never good at it.
Speaker 5: Terrible sake fisherman, much to my dismay, because they're very tasty. But yeah, I mean guys that are good at this are just yeah.
Speaker 2: When you see people doing it, it's easy to understand, like how somebody could be good or bad at it. It's a very specific technique. Will you make that noise again? This dental term refers to the controversial fishing technique where anglers try to swing a leader into the mouth of a salmon that's swimming upstream. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers? Seth and Logan and Randall say flossing. Marge says flossing, Corey says snagging. Maxwell says very different. The correct answer is flossing.
Speaker 3: Some people consider it snagan.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what Salmon flossing is also known as flipping. It's where anglers use a weighted leader that's drifted through the path of saki salmon. When it works, the current pulls the line through the fish's mouth until the hook reaches its jaw. Fish caught while flossing aren't biting the hook. Instead, it's more like snagging them. In the mouth. Flossing is illegal in Washington, Oregon, California, and Idaho, but Alaska does allow it.
Speaker 6: So I thought they'd put a bead there too, and the fish like goes for the bead and then I don't.
Speaker 2: Think there's any illusion they're not pursuing a bait.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're not really going for it at all. You're literally trying to just get them in front of the gill plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, like the line is like kind of literally passing through their mouth, right, yeah, until the hook reaches it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because soak, I really don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's hard to say because I've had I've caught saka in like big.
Speaker 1: Plugs before that they actually hit.
Speaker 5: But for the most part, the conventional wisdom is that they're not going to bite anything.
Speaker 2: Again, Like almost the entire p NW says no, you cannot do that, but Alaska allows it. I feel like you see videos we're due to like as close as Max is to Logan away and they're flossing it in a river. All right. We have two questions left, Phil give us a scoreboard update. Have changed.
Speaker 9: Marge has three points, Max has four, and we have Logan and Corey tied up with five logan seems like as tight as previous high score.
Speaker 3: Count those Mountain Dew questions.
Speaker 1: We didn't count them.
Speaker 9: As has pulled ahead with uh, he's got six points. And then doctor Randall is in first place with seven sets.
Speaker 5: Going for a back to back win after a poorly officiated game of trivia last week.
Speaker 1: That was a great game. Well, there's some boubts.
Speaker 2: Question nine, the topic is gear this next great question is this sleep. Jim Crumley sold the tree Bark camel pattern to this brand in two thousand. Jim Crumbley sold the tree Bark cameo pattern to this brand in two thousand. Max is making eyes at Seth. Do you two like your answers?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Let's see her, sir, I'll show you what he says.
Speaker 2: Flipp the Randall. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Seth seems to like his Seth, I have this one right.
Speaker 1: I'm in I think, I'm I think fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, this could even things up. Seth gets it right and Randall gets it wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm in the neighborhood. Jeez.
Speaker 2: Jim Crumbley sold the tree Bark camel pattern to this brand in two thousand one.
Speaker 5: Oh, Jim Crumley, I thought you said, Jim h it's all very valuable contact.
Speaker 2: Which is yeah? Which is who? Jim Crumley seems like a man who would invent the tree bar camel pattern.
Speaker 1: That's a great name. Crumley and.
Speaker 5: Crumbley cashed out and retired after this.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says real Tree, Logan Deep Timber Grands, Marge loss O, Cordy Maxwell, Real Tree. The correct answer.
Speaker 3: Bottom land has been around for longer?
Speaker 2: Is mass we had three of our.
Speaker 3: Around for longer than that.
Speaker 2: Or it's Hoss out Doors. Hoss out doors owns real tree. Excuse mess out doorns owns bought the tree bark camel.
Speaker 3: Are they talking about bottom Land there?
Speaker 2: No, they're different. But if you look at Phil is gonna pull up a picture here of tree bark, it looks exactly like bottom Lands. This came out first. Jim Crumley invented the famous tree bark camel pattern in nineteen seventy nine. He felt that nothing on the market was brown enough or gray enough to blend in with the forest in fall, so he created tree Bark, which became the first commercially produced hunting camo. When the pattern showed up in a nineteen eighty three Kabelis catalog, Crumley was no longer able to keep up with demand. It became one of the most popular cameos of the eighties and nineties, with MACIOC acquiring it in two thousand. So it looks very much like bottom Lands. Bottom Lands came out second. So that is the tree bark green.
Speaker 1: I believe this is the real tree pattern is.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's that is not tree bark. This is the og tree bark. There was also a tree Bark Green. I think that had some leaves in it that looked a.
Speaker 3: Lot like can you go back to the question for a second.
Speaker 2: What's the matter?
Speaker 3: Okay? I just classic me. I just read the question wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, here's a correct answer. Review so far. One was a sixty seven point five Gage Shotgun two, Crappy Minnows three, Black Mamba four, Forest Fan five, Darwin Awards six, Mammary Gland seven, George Custer eight, Flossing nine Massioake Phil scoreboard update.
Speaker 9: Randall has locked it in. He's got eight points with only one question left. The next person people behind him are Seth and Corey.
Speaker 1: They have six.
Speaker 2: Logan still at five going for his PB.
Speaker 10: You know we got I don't know if there's a way to look that up, but I might have gotten more than five.
Speaker 5: I think you have, man, I had a lot to be six. I feel like you're more of a dark horse than you think.
Speaker 2: Thanks Randal. Question ten. The topic is cooking. Fatty fish such as salmon are high in this nine letter hormone that's nicknamed the quote hormone of darkness because it helps your body get ready for sleep. Oh, Fatty fish such as salmon are high in this nine letter hormone that's nicknamed the hormone of darkness because it helps your body get ready for sleep. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I think so? Okay, I think so.
Speaker 2: Rest of the room is doing some Hangman on their whiteboards. Seth, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I think so Oka, but also I might not. I don't know. It's a good question. I'm just trying to be Corey at this point.
Speaker 2: Corey, do you have this one right? Fatty fish such as salmon are high in this nine letter hormone that's nicknamed the hormone of darkness because it helps your body get ready for sleep.
Speaker 5: Hormone darkness sounds way tougher than what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Hormone of darkness.
Speaker 2: That one sounds more figurative than literal, but in this case it's literal.
Speaker 4: I've had like three different answers on my board, exciting to.
Speaker 2: Hear what they max, I am, I don't know a serious hot one.
Speaker 5: Put my nine letters on the whiteboard or forever something.
Speaker 2: Logan, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: Okay, logan, PB, March do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Guess?
Speaker 2: Would you doodle for us?
Speaker 1: Down there?
Speaker 2: All right? Everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, and your answers seth melatonin, melotonin, Randal, melatonin, Marge, melatonin, Corey, trip to fan, Maxwell, magnesia. The correct answer is melatonin shoot.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Melotonin is stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light. Its levels begin to rise in the evening, peak overnight and fall in the morning. Melatonin doesn't force you to sleep, but it does tell your body that it's time to rest. Besides salmon, other foods high and melatonin are pistachios, walnuts, cherries, bananas, milk, eggs and sardines. So Maxwell, you shouldn't be having your sardine, egg and milk lunch anymore.
Speaker 6: No, otherwise, that's what medium.
Speaker 1: Or your magnesium mountain That eggs are breakfast.
Speaker 2: Big egg, Yeah, big egg like Randall down.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, big egg. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 8: If you and I share a brain style, I think we won.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: And the mountain dew questions we wouldn't want.
Speaker 8: I did beat my office.
Speaker 2: Okay to today's winner is Randall. He got nine correct answers.
Speaker 3: I don't come to win.
Speaker 1: Some people tried to give me a tenth point.
Speaker 2: He tried to give you the perfect game. You wouldn't take the crappy chub man.
Speaker 5: In hindsight, I wish I'd taken that, not to give extra money to conservation, but just for bookkeeping purposes, for your eager just to keep track.
Speaker 3: Of mine, calling you that crappy chub.
Speaker 2: All right, crappy chub, what are you gonna do with that?
Speaker 5: Let's give the five hundred dollars to the Western Habitat Foundation.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that's a new one on the show. What do we like about that?
Speaker 1: I've given money to them before they their Mission. They every year they do.
Speaker 5: Projects on public lands to improve habitat a bunch of these. In recent they've done stuff in North Dakota and New Mexico, but in recent years been going out to Fort Peck and pulling fence from the CMR, just old abandoned fence that impedes wildlife movement. So I was out there this past weekend and got in some quality time out in some beautiful country, and uh, it's just very classic boots on the ground conservation work.
Speaker 2: Well done. Randall five hundred dollars than guys Croppy thousand Croppie. Next week.
Speaker 9: On the game show, Yes Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 1: He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones.
Speaker 6: He lays them questions down.
Speaker 1: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It's an avid amateur lockw