Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: We are getting closer to crowning an NBA champ and with the action heating up on the court hotter than ever. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. It's great, I've got it. You should. Takes less than ninety seconds. Official sports betting partner of the National Basketball Association. Okay, now we got the Conference finals Pacer Celtics T Wolves Dallas Mavericks. These games have been so great live betting, same game parlays, odds, boosts, So much is covered. It's super easy for first timers to get started. Try betting on something simple like a team to win. So you go to the DraftKings Sports Book app again. Download it ninety seconds, select your squad, place your bet. It's that simple.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: New to DraftKings. It's called no sweat bet. This is a new one. It's easy, called no sweat bet. Up to fifteen hundred dollars. Just deposit at least five bucks. That's it, five bucks, a five spot, that's it, and you'll get a bonus bet back if your bet doesn't hit. Yeah, I said it right. If your bet doesn't hit, download DraftKings Sportsbook app. The coda is Colin. That's me Coli N Draftking sportsbook app download columns Coli N New customers. No sweat bet up to fifteen hundred dollars you get if you just deposit five bucks and your first bet doesn't hit. Only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See DKNG dot co slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 3: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. We are live on YouTube. Thank you all for tuning in. Make sure you drop your questions in the chat if you have some Jackson to get to a few of them before we get out of here. Man, it's an exciting time in the NBA. We got both conference finals started one game in. Both games were great games, which I think is a setup for a great series. Although Indiana let one get away. We'll talk about that. But as I said, I thank you all for tuning in and subscribing to the show. We'll continue to try to bring you new content, opinions, analysis.
Speaker 3: And just good vibes, good time. So let's get into it.
Speaker 1: I had the honor of working the game last night with my TNT family, which is always a great time. Had the opportunity to have Kyrie at the desk, which was fun, which we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: But the t Wolves far at home.
Speaker 1: In Game one to the Mavericks one o eight to one oh five, mass are up one oh Luca had thirty three eight and six on twelve for twenty six shooting, but only three for ten from three. Now we'll pay attention to that. Kyrie thirty points, four assists, five rebounds twelve for twenty three from the field, oh for three from three. A Man had nineteen points, eight assists, eleven rebounds on six for sixteen, shooting five for twelve from three. Focus only only took four two point attempts. Now, that is an indicator of something which we'll get in. But anyway, stay focused, me too. I'm talking to you, but I'm talking to myself. Well, Cat sixteen points, seven rebounds, two assists, six for twenty from the field, two for nine from three. Let them I get in that here. Keep telling you to stay focus. Well, the Timberwolves may eighteen threes. They were eighteen for forty nine from three. Dallas were five for twenty four from three, and I'm sorry they were six for twenty five from three.
Speaker 3: Now, why is that interesting?
Speaker 1: Because we've talked the ball about Dallas spreading the floor, Dallas guys needing to shoot the three. Well, we need Derek Jones Junior to play like he had been playing in the last series. We need PJ. Washington play like he's been playing the last series. We need Josh Green to step up and hit some shots. We need Tim Hardaway Junior to step up and hit some shots. That's been a discussion and I think we're all in agreeents there. And the reason that that's been a discussion is because Minnesota, there's no surprise. They play two bigs. They play Rudy and Kat together and even once one of those guys go out, they play nas Reed And so they're more of the traditional big lineup that you've seen historically in the NBA. And Dallas is PJ. Washington's at the floor. Pj's Washington shooting the ball well, Pj's Washington getting putting the ball on the floor, getting to the rim, putting the ball on the floor, getting to floaters.
Speaker 3: PJ. Washington is doing all that and in.
Speaker 1: Turn, it puts bigs and uncomtapositions to where they have to guard where they don't like the guard which is out on the floor. They're guarding closeoutse right like you're closing out PJ. Washington shooting the ball, so you got to close out to the body and if he's a step faster, then they break the defense down. Right Now, you got Rudy Gobert got a step up like and not just lost from PJ. Washington, but that is the overarching theme, right like, you're you got these guys getting downhill, whether that's off a drive kick, whether that's off a drivekick swing, whether that's off of Kyrie or Luca getting past their guy and now they're downhill at that big and they're putting a lot of pressure on the rim.
Speaker 3: Again, don't lose focus.
Speaker 1: So where I was going with that was this, Luca and Kyrie combined three for thirteen from three and Man and Kat combined five excuse me, seven for twenty one from three.
Speaker 3: Now, the problem with that is.
Speaker 1: Those two along toil twenty one threes, but forty nine threes to forty nine threes to twenty five.
Speaker 3: With the bigger team, the team that has.
Speaker 1: More size, they rely on that size way more, taking the most, the more the threes. And when we were on the show yesterday, Uh, Chuck's biggest thing was these guys are going to take a lot of threes and they need to knock those threes down. And Minnesota, he said it. Kat needs to take advantage of himself. No posting. Cat really posted up against Phoenix. Uh, he really posted up against the Clippers. Excuse me, not the Clippers. He really posted up last series against the Nuggets. And that's what he was his most dominant. He had He had times in that even especially in that Game seven, where nobody else could get anything going and he was the only one to to continue to carry that team, to continue to keep them afloat. And then obviously they got it going. They got stops, uh, they put the cuffs on Denver, and they were able to take the lead in in large part, Yeah, their offense got going, but it was in large part.
Speaker 3: Them turning defense into offense.
Speaker 1: And that's where against interesting because we've seen this this Timberwolves team all year continue to grow.
Speaker 3: But and they figured some things out.
Speaker 1: But the reality is, you do have Rudy Gobert, who who spends most of his time at the rim and the paint, and you have Kat who's on the wing. But you got a man who want to get downhill and when Rudy's in the dunker, if you have a big like Lively, if you have a big like Gaffer that don't have to that don't have to step up in order to affect a shot that can play back at the rim, because if you try to come all the way to the rim, they're athletic enough to block. And what I mean by step up, if you remember a play yesterday from the broadcast, or if you just you know, remember it from the top of your mind. Luca Drove he had. I can't remember who exactly was on him, but he drove. Maybe Kyle Anderson possibly, but he drove, and Jada McDaniel stepped up off the guy in the dunker. The guy in the dunker is the guy that's like right near the rim outside the paint. There's a little line right there that's called the dunker spot. And you got the guy in the dunker. And I always talk to you all about the guy in the dunker being a live threat. Is it?
Speaker 3: He does the same thing.
Speaker 1: For your space and as if you have a three point shooter, obviously not as much space because that's less ground to cover.
Speaker 3: But you can't leave.
Speaker 1: The bodies like Klay Thompson on the wing you lead, the body is over for you.
Speaker 3: You can't leave the body of a live threat.
Speaker 1: And Jada McDaniels, who's uncomfortable being in that position, stepped up and Lively got the dunk. Luca dropped it right underneath Lively got the dump. Well, Gaffer and Lively don't have to do that when the Timberwolves drive, because they're big enough to stay back. They're more comfortable in that position, and you don't want to give up the live we saw how many lives Minnesota gave up last night, and that's a recipe for disaster because it's such a high percentage play Like Gaffer and Lively, lives are probably in seventy five eighty percent play for them, if not higher.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: When you're giving that up consistently, what is doing in your defense is brutal like because now you got guys that's going to overreact or not right. And I don't think they ever overreacted to it, which was a problem because they just kept getting dunks. The only time they stopped getting dunks was when towards the end of the game, Minnesota finally came up to the level of the screen and start level of the screen and start trapping it. And once they start trapping it, obviously that's a long way for that big to row. They weren't getting the libs anymore. But to trap like that all game, I'm not sure that that's a very sustainable covers like we've seen that for years. We've seen teams try to trap Steph all game. And if like you just put counters in, if you put you know, different outlets in and different things like that, to the trap is dead. And you're always a man down and very lively is very underrated in the pocket. Like that kid, I've watched him over and over and over again make the right play in the pocket, and I've said at times, you know, I think he's not aggressive enough, but he seemed to get more aggressive. He's not eur on in the pocket, he's looking to go finish and he's still making that kickout. And when you're so if your adjustment is going to be to trap, you're always a man down.
Speaker 3: And for a team that has kind of built themselves.
Speaker 1: On the defensive side of basketball to just have to trap and be a man down, every player is troublesome, that's bothersome, that's a problem. But their standard pick and roll coverage is a drop. And when you're it's funny. It was funny or not funny, but just very interesting. And playing with CP this year because CP, he would always talk about the drop coverage, and like you know, CP, throughout the course of his careers has seen drops all the time. I haven't seen many teams play drop coverage because no one's dropping versus steph And if you drop verse step then I'll just nail your guy on the screen.
Speaker 3: And he's going to come off wide open, and who wants that?
Speaker 1: And so everybody's always up at the levels of the screen with Steph trapping stuff. So I haven't seen many drop coverages live because that's just never However, if you watch Chris Paul play throughout the course of his career, he's lived in the mid range, and in part because Biggs would always be in the drop and CP would talk to me just about how bad the drop coverage was, and like he's like, I could get any shot at want versus a drop every time. And that's the thing when you're playing against great guards, in which Dallas has two great guards, and when you're playing that drop coverage the whole game Number one, these guys coming off every play on you in the drop.
Speaker 3: It's too much of a steady diet.
Speaker 1: You give any any great guard in this league a steady diet of anything, they're gonna eat it up. And that's what Luca and Kyrie they had. They picked their poison, they had their way in the pick and roll. So what what is your adjustment, Well, you can say all they got to come up to the level of the screen, and that's not really Rudy's strength. However, I think Rudy has been a lot better this year with being up at the level of the screen and not just getting his I dotted from guards that's coming off the screen because he's.
Speaker 3: In a drop.
Speaker 1: I think he's done a lot better this year moving his feet when he gets out on the perimeterive even if it's a switch, he's been pressing up. He's not just letting the guy rhythm rhythm to death, like he's forcing guys to make the next action. And even if that next action is forcing this guy to blow by me. Now I'm running back into the play, essentially going weak side. I can get a rebound.
Speaker 3: I could possibly catch up and get a week side block if there's a drop off.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah. But the drop coverage, the drop coverage against great guards, it's a recipe for a disaster. And especially like I said, great guards, like we have great guards in this league, that mid range isn't great Kyrie and Luca mid range and so if you're going to give them that every time, it's too like it's too easy for them. And even once you panic the decided I maybe I'm gonna take the shot away. All it takes is a half a second for that role guy to get an inch behind you. And if they're athletic that like Derek Lively, like Daniel Goffer, even if you're seven three like Rudy Gobert, it's just impossible to catch up because once your weight go a little bit this way and that guy is rolling this way, it's impossible for you to then get back up in the air with a guy who's diving full speed, athletic as hell, and you take one step this way.
Speaker 3: Because oh, I'm.
Speaker 1: A little worried about Luka Doncis with this basketball and right in the middle of the paint. I am scared shitless of Kyrie Irving with this basketball right in the middle of the paint, because I know the damage that they've done. They they got mid range and floaters to death again, thirty three points and thirty points. Kyrie didn't hit a single three and Luca hit three, so it wasn't the three that was killing them.
Speaker 3: They actually got to the paint.
Speaker 1: Sixty two points in the paint Dallas had versus thirty eight points versus the Wolves. Excuse me for the Wolves, and again, what we've emphasized is the Wolves being the team with the most size. However, they don't necessarily always score off that size. Like, even with the size, you're not really throwing the ball into Rudy Gobert. They threw it into him a few times last night. And I'm not sure a lot of teams go down by points per possession, right, Like our ppp? What was our points per possession when Rudy caught the ball in the pocket? What was our points per possession? If Rudy caught the ball and he had to make a move. I'd imagine the points per possession for them was probably eight something when Rudy caught the ball in And for those of you that don't understand these one like point like, what the hell is he talking about? So say, if my points per possession is point eighty seven, what that means is every hundred possessions with like you're scoring eighty seven points over the course of one hundred possession. That's that's less Obviously point a seven is less than a point per possession.
Speaker 3: That's not going to get the job done. And so.
Speaker 1: They've got to figure out a how to get at Man Downhill and Dallas has been the best defensive team. Uh. Pretty much last quarter of the season and through the playoffs they've been incredible. They've they're hanging their hat on the defensive side of basketball, which is why they could win a game like last night on the road. Kyrie played well, Luka peip well in stretches. I thought Lucas started off great, Luca hit a big law, Luca came back and did what Luca does and closed them out.
Speaker 3: Well. The problem with that is.
Speaker 1: Kyrie not going to keep on over three from three, Dallas not going to keep going six to twenty five from three, and Minnesota shot a very respectable eighteen for forty nine. So what can Minnesota do to get at Man downhill?
Speaker 3: Because ant Man spent a lot of time on the perimeter.
Speaker 1: Now, what I will say is this, we look at the last two games of at They're not his best displays of basketball, and you start to ask yourself the question is fatigue setting in because this is their first time going through a run like this, and you know, you had a very tough series of r September where you had to pull out everything that you had in order.
Speaker 3: To just get over the finish line.
Speaker 1: And I heard something that those guys were saying last night, and again I hinted at this on the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Was I heard a man say, you know, I'm tired.
Speaker 1: I was tired, and I said right there during the broadcast, like listen, I have.
Speaker 3: I've been very, very very.
Speaker 1: Big on a man's interviews after these games, and the reason being is because I know what those interviews mean, like when you're in a playoff series, I know what that means. Number One, I'm looking for any little edge I can get. So if that means watching one of your interviews to get an edge, damn it, I'm watching. And what can that edge be? That aedge can be one of many things, but most importantly one thing that can come from watching an interview is you spot weakness. And I thought, the great young leader that a man is and blossoming into and I think he's gonna be one of the best. I thought he showed weakness in the interview last night for the first time.
Speaker 3: And I said it on the broadcast. I'm like, yo, he said he's tired.
Speaker 1: You know he said this, He said that I don't like that from a man because the ant man we've saw this playoffs long and all his career is the bravado is Nah, I messed this up.
Speaker 3: I did this. We gotta be better. Nah, I was tired. We tired and couldn't get up. We didn't have enough like Nah, that's that's showing a little bit of weakness.
Speaker 1: And guess what, kat Rudy, they're not known as the toughest guys. No disrespect either one of them is just not what their mo is. And what a man I think has done for them is he's given them a sense of purpose. He's given them a sense of confidence. He's given them like some dog. He's given them that. And that's what a great leader does. But guess what the moment a great leader shows weakness, what does Cat follow up? What does Cat follow up within his press conference? Oh, he was tired. And as a leader, that's where you have to be careful because you start to give guys out.
Speaker 3: And man would never look for.
Speaker 1: It out, but that don't mean nobody else on his team will.
Speaker 3: And so you start to give guys out.
Speaker 1: You don't want to give guys out because guess what if I'm the Dallas Mavericks, I'm watching that and I'm like, oh, they tired, get greedy, come back in game too, greedy.
Speaker 3: We're coming back in game two for blood.
Speaker 1: We're coming back for blood because if we can win game two, then the idea is, oh, we can go home and close this out. It's never that easy, not sitting here saying the Timberwolves are about to get swept. But that's gotta be the mindset, and that will be the mindset. So stay focused, ray Man. So now if you're the Dallas Maveris and you're like, yo, we shot twenty four percent from three, making six threes and we just won this game on the road, you gotta feel like, if you Dallas, we're gonna shoot better than that. We're gonna even play offensively better than we did, because the only guys that really played well offensively was Kyrie, Luca and Spurts, Lively and Gaffer getting dunks libs that's it versus the drop coverage. So it'll be interesting to see what Minnesota's adjustment will be. I think Kat was incredible last series. He did a great job of Garden Joker. He was the reason that they were able to win that series because Rudy was having a tough time with Joker. And I think we all have tough times with different matchups, and that was a tough ass matchup for Joker, as I mean for Rudy, as Joker is for most people.
Speaker 3: But Cat did an incredible job. Now, one of the things Cat didn't really have to guard versus.
Speaker 1: The Denver Nuggets, though, was the pick and roll. You're like, oh yeah, right, like Joker and Murray pick and roll. They didn't guard it.
Speaker 3: That way though.
Speaker 1: What they did was they stayed body tight for the most part to Joker coming off the screen or rotated the guy to take him away and force the skip pass.
Speaker 3: But what they did a lot of times.
Speaker 1: Was just let Jamal Murray turn the corner with very minimal help from Joker's guy. The Cat stand body tight, and when they was getting the help from the bottom side Aaron Gordon and the Dunker, well, guess what, that guy in the Dunker isn't a big setting the screen and Aaron Gordon anymore. It's guard guard screen with Lively and the Dunker. But it's not even really Lively Er gafferd than the Dunker. It's still setting a screen and rolling, which means, now your pick and roll covers matter. And I don't think Kat is as strong in pick and roll coverage as he was in Garden Joker on the posts as he was when he you know, he didn't have to help on Jamar Murray's pick and rolls because you had Aaron Gordon and a dunker and they were getting the help from there.
Speaker 3: And so now it's a different series.
Speaker 1: Now you got and by the way, Jamal Murray is great, but he is Jamar Murray is very good player in this league. But he's not Kyrie Irving and he's not Luka Dancics, and so that's a different beast now. And the objective with these screens now is totally different than what the objective was for the Denver Nuggets, right, Like the objective for the Denver Nuggets could be to actually hit Joker in the pocket, right like, well, Dallas is hitting the pocket. But they're in the pocket because that's the next right play, not because they're trying to get Lively the ball in the pocket or trying to get Gafford the ball in the pocket.
Speaker 3: That's just the next play.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. So totally different series. I think Minnesota's adjustment is going to have to be this more Kyle Anderson I said before the game. This has to be a big Kyle Anderson series. I still believe that Kyle Anderson comes out against eleven points in the first half, didn't do much in the second half. But I also didn't think he played as much in the second half. And so here's what you have to process. You probably look at it like, why didn't Kyle Anderson get more minutes he had eleven Well, here's the thing. Kyle Anderson had two average two points and two rebounds the first two series. So when those coaches are making their lineups for the games for this series, they're like, man, Kyle's been struggling.
Speaker 3: He's only average in two and.
Speaker 1: Two, and so you slot them in to play more minutes in the first half because you want to give your guys more of a breather in the first half than the second half, because second half you may have to run your dogs. So they got them sloted to play some minutes in the first half. He doesn't play a ton in the second half. But why is that? Well, why that is is because he's been struggling. And so if you're that coaching you're making the lineup, you're like a will get Kyles from going the first half to buy some minutes, but not in the second half. And this happens often, and the reason it happens often is because again coaches you see. You may see coaches, not the head coaches. You may see coaches on the bench with a sheet of paper or an iPad, And what's on that iPad or that sheet of paper is their rotations. Draymond's playing from the start of the first quarter to the seven minute mark, he's coming out to the two minute markis back from two to the age seven minute mark, he's out to the four or five minute market, then he closes the half.
Speaker 3: And that's what be on these papers, like the substitution patterns.
Speaker 1: A lot of coaches struggle to scrap that substitution pattern. And in a game where I thought they could have used Kyle Anderson more, you don't have Kyle Anderson slotted to play those minutes. And it's hard for these coaches to look at that paper saying no Kyle playing, Well, scrap this because then it can adjust, it can throw off your rotation somewhere else. Right, Like you got analytics that go into these things, you got coaches like, oh, we need to get to this five man lineup because there's been our strongest file lineup.
Speaker 3: Well, if we do it this way, then we don't.
Speaker 1: Get this up. Like there's more that goes into it than just who's playing well. But I also feel like at times like you have to be able to make that adjustment like this guy is helping us. And so I said all of that to say, one of the adjustments that I think needs to happen is Kyle Anderson need to play more. And that may even mean Rudy Gobert off the bench. Now I know what you're gonna say. Rudy Gobert had the highest plus minus on the team last night or close to it. It wasn't Rudy Gobert's fault. And I'm not saying it is Rudy go Beart's fault. What I'm saying is they have a matchup issue. So do you take Cat to the bench or do you take Rudy to the bench. But I'm gonna say Rudy because even if Cat's struggling defensively, what he can give you.
Speaker 3: Offensively is totally different.
Speaker 1: And now if you got Kat as the only big Cat can pick and roll, Cat can pick and pop, it opens the floor up more, but less about Rudy and more about why I think this adjustment should happen. Obviously, Rudy was in the drop, he gave up lose. We talked about that, but that's not actually why I think the adjustment needs to happen. I think the adjustment needs to happen because you gotta get a man off Kyrie.
Speaker 3: No, not because Kyrie had thirty had a great night.
Speaker 1: No, not because ant Man can't guard them, although I don't think anybody can guard Kyrie if I'm honest, But because did you see ant Man towards the end of the game. He was cooked. He could barely get up and down the floor. He was gasping for air. And I get it. Just play a tough gains seven game series and then you come out two nights later chasing old Kyrie, irving around Uncle Drew.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what that is?
Speaker 1: Disaster because Kyrie never stops moving and when he gets the ball, it's downhill at you. Every time I'm attacking, looking for an angle, go this way, you cut me off. I'm still trying to get downhill that way and I can get there. And Kyrie was aggressive from the start last night and it took a toll.
Speaker 3: On am Man. I don't think ant Man had much.
Speaker 1: Like even the threes he made, it looked like he was pushing him there like it looked like he was doing all he could to get him there. And like I said, he putting no pressure on the rim. So in turn, they finished with thirty eight points in the paint versus a small Dallas Mavericks team. So the reason the adjustment needs to be made is because I think you need to get him off of Kyrie. And so the adjustment that would be made is then Kyle Anderson would be on Luca, Jaden McDaniels would go to Kyrie. What that does is you put more size on Luca. No, I don't. And by the way, the thinking is, I need to save ed Man's legs for the other side. And I know you want to play two way, but right now we're trying to win a championship. So the saying about your pride or anything like that, this is about the adjustments that we need to make to win a championship.
Speaker 3: If you do that, now.
Speaker 1: You got Luca being guarded by Kyle and you got Jayden guardan Kyrie.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone.
Speaker 1: Either one of those guys are gonna stop Luka or Kyrie.
Speaker 3: But guess what, I don't think man gonna stop Kyrie.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody's gonna stop Kyrie, and I don't think anybody's gonna stop Luca. They may have a bad game or two, but this is a seven game series. But my point is you have very respectable defenders. Jade McDaniel's All Defense Team. Congrats to him on that, well deserved. That's gonna hold his own again. He ain't gonna stop Kyrie, but he gonna hold his own. Kyle Anderson ain't stopping Luca by any stretch of the imagination, but he gonna hold his own. He gonna make Luca work. And guess what, that's all you can ask for. You want to make these guys work. You want to tire them out a little bit. And so I got two guys that can make these guys work. Now we can get our defense settled in. Now we can get on the other end and doing what he needs to do. But if chasing around Kyrie the whole series, that's going to take a toll. And they don't have enough scoring, enough shot creation elsewhere outside of a man for him to not have the legs to do that.
Speaker 3: And so that's why I think the adjustment needs to be.
Speaker 1: Made less about although I don't like the drop coverage, but less about Rudy and the drop, less about any of that stuff, and more about their matchups on the other end.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of what I got there.
Speaker 1: But if you're the timber Wolves, you leave that game not feeling great and you can say, oh, cat didn't shot well, and then shoot, well, that's fine, but now today and they won this game still on the road, so you don't feel great coming away if you're the timber Wolves. And if I'm Dallas, I feel immaculum because we just came and took one that we shouldn't probably have won the way we played collectively, but the defense was great and the Stars made plays when they had to make them when they needed the most. And moving on, we got to Celtics beating the Pacers. I don't know how to happen one thirty three to one twenty eight and overtime to take a one to ozer League again, I don't know how to happen. J T thirty six, twelve and four Jason excuse me. Jalen twenty six, seven and five, Drew twenty eight, eight and seven, Holly Burdon had twenty five and ten, Pascal twenty four to twelve and seven. What is my biggest takeaway from this game? My biggest takeaway from this game? Number one is Al Horford in the pick and roll. I've said it over and over again. I told you guys when we played Boston in the finals two years ago. It got to a point in the series where Steph literally said, yo, bring me him, and the rest is history. Steph Curr's Finals MVP go to Stay Warriors champion because Steph realized in that series that Al Horford couldn't guard the pick and roll. If he was in a drop, he didn't affect anything because Steph coming off, Steph can shoot, Steph can get downhill at him. It's not big enough and he's not blocking shots. If he switched good night Irene, it's over. Curtains closed, case closed, it's sober because Al can't move to stay in front of Steph on the switch. So Steph literally said bring me him, put him in a blender, and we went on to win a championship. Problem with that is Al Horford is two years older than he was then and father time takes his course and so he's not moving today as well as he was two years ago. And this is no disrespect of shots at Al Horford. This is just the reality without porzingis they really struggle to guard the pick and roll because you just bringing Allen to the pick and roller and guys are taking their pick.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I think what you have to do if your Boston is when they bring Allen to these pick and rolls with Holly, just switch them. Holly is not Steph Curry, is not missing as much as Steph Curry. And the goal should be just to get him to his left hand. Like al don't react to all of these crossovers. He going to go left and then try to get back right. Don't overreact to that. Just send him left a lot like we did Jalen and Marcus and Derek and JT in the finals. We sent them left. We send them all left. Just get him to his left hand. Our help will be built in there. That may be what they have to do, but man that that that's.
Speaker 3: Tough, because what's the alternative?
Speaker 1: Luke Cornett, So they really need poor zingis back, and I know, you know, we can go on and on about it, like can't can't sit here, and you can only hope for it that he that he does make it back. And the thing is, it may not catch you this series. It didn't catch you last year's blest. Some point it catches up to you, and so I think that's an issue. I think another issue is the Celtics offense. It's almost very it's over relying on Jason to create a tough shot or a good shot or whatever shot. Jalen Took create a tough shot or a good shot or whatever shot, and Drew or Derek White, it's just created. Their offense is built on God's creating shots and that gets tougher and tougher as these runs go on. Now again, I don't think the Indiana Pacers can beat them, although they just let a golden opportunity to get away.
Speaker 3: And it's stuff like.
Speaker 1: That that could be the difference in like a six game series or a seven game series, in a four or five game series, when you let games go like that and you're already not the better team.
Speaker 3: So that's a big issue for Indiana.
Speaker 1: To just let a golden opportunity go by the wayside on the game that you should have won. Now we can talk all the things right, like should have filed up three, should have taken the time out in advanced the ball you had Andrew Nimhart taking the ball out. Why didn't you put TJ. McConnell and let TJ McConnell take the ball out.
Speaker 3: We can go on all these things.
Speaker 1: The fact of the matter is they let a golden opportunity go the way go to waste. And it's hard to make those opportunities up in the conference finals, especially when you're not the better team.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: If I'm the Indiana Pacers, I'm looking like, yeah, man, we can really beat these guys. We obviously had them beat We let one get away. You feel good about that, but you also know better, like a.
Speaker 3: You know the real. You ain't got to tell nobody you know the real, but you know the real. And so.
Speaker 1: I think again, I think they have to overemphasize getting these guys to their left hands, making them take tough shots, playing boxes and elbows, not turning.
Speaker 3: The ball over.
Speaker 1: I thought Indiana had a lot of unforced turnovers. Boston's running off those. You turn it over. They're they're getting the two probably three, so you can't turn the ball over. But just like the Dallas and Timberwell's series, I think Dallas beat the Timberwoods at their own game last night, the Celtics actually beat the Pacers at their own game. One eight is a game that favors the Pacers. Celtics beat them at their own game. And so, like I said, if you're if you're Indiana, you feel you feel good about it. You ultimately know, like, ah, we let one get away, But how much do they really believe? That'll show how they come out in Game two. Now, they'll come out, they'll punching. Boston gotta be ready to take that first blow. They'll punch again. Boston gotta be ready for that. But you just gotta stay the course. However, if I'm Boston, though, I'm like, yo, we just got away with one. We gotta come out to smack these boys, and we got to come out and make a statement, send a message, because we really just like we skated out of there with one that we shouldn't have. So now it's time for us to come back and play well and send a message. And that's gotta be the mind set for Boston. And if you Indiana, you still got none to lose. Yeah, you got away, you let one get away, but you got nothing to lose. So take your free swing. Everybody's expecting you to lose. Go play lose, Go play free. We need guys getting shots out, We need guys playing with a lot of energy, and we need to get these guys that their left hands.
Speaker 3: It's the conference finals now, Saint the.
Speaker 1: First round where guys still get away with a little bit, the Saint the second round where you get away with a little less. This is the conference finals. Now we know what you're trying to do, and our game plan should be tight as ever. Get these guys to their left hands. Let's see what they can do.
Speaker 3: As Bill Belichick say, make them play left handed, literally and figuratively.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be the goal for Indiana. Come out, swing, play your game, get up and down, stop turning the ball over and let the chips fall ward they may. We had all NBA teams last night announced first team SGA Joker, Luca Jannis and J T.
Speaker 3: Second Team Brunson and man KD. Kawhi and A D. Anthony Davis.
Speaker 1: Third Team bron Steph Sabonus, Holly Burdon, and d Book. The biggest surprise, the biggest snuff. I think the biggest surprise for me was Steph Curry being on third team and not being on second team. I also thought a big surprise for me was the Boston Celtics only getting one. I thought Jaylen Brown played well enough to be All NBA, didn't make it. I thought Tyres Maxi played well enough to be All NBA, didn't quite make it. Uh, those are the two guys that I would say probably could have made r NBA. But like who do you take off?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't see who who takes who comes off, So it's just ultimately you run out of spots. But I did think Jaylen Brown would be on there. And you know it's crazy because the I always say, man, the meter moves like you think, like, oh, they won sixty plus games, they dominated, they won the one see by a long mile, they get two. Because when you look at all defense teams or defense like team defenses being good with the exception winby being on off first team, and their team defense was abitscimal. You get rewarded for those things. And the Boston Celtics don't seem to be rewarded for their success as a team. And obviously Jalen played well, and so that's probably excuse me that that's probably the one that I look at and be like, ah, maybe they could have got too in, maybe they should have got two in. But for the most part, I think this is a great list. Congratulations to all those guys that made our NBA well deserved honor. Shout out to a man and Tyrese Halliburn and them boys made forty one million dollars yesterday by making all NBA. Because their rookie scale extensions, they're able to get a percentage of the cap. So they made forty one million dollars yesterday. So congratsants, shout out to them boys. Love to see it, love to see guys make their money. Before we get out of here, need to toss it to Jackson for a couple of questions and then we will say peace and I will see y'all tomorrow from the set.
Speaker 5: Thank you to everyone who's in the chat chiming again and asking questions. We're going to answer a few every time we go live. First, let's go I think this is pretty relevant to the show today from t Why do teams continue to drop if it has so many downsizes? What advantages does it break?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Well, teams do it because ultimately they don't want their bigs out at the perimeter, because those bigs are uncomfortable out there. And so you go into a drop essentially to keep everything in front of you, but keeping Kyrie. Like if you're in the drop and Luca come off, Luca's defender, Luca's gonna put the defender in jail?
Speaker 3: What do I mean by that?
Speaker 1: One he comes off the screen, he then takes one step over and locks Jaden McDaniels or whoever it is behind him. And now you got the big all the way down the floor and dropping this guy behind him and he's getting to the floater, big step up be getting to the lot. And then you'll see Jaden McDaniels maybe tak an angle or somebody else maybe take like this big looping angle to get all the way around the screen and around Luca and then lucas just step back.
Speaker 3: Gotcha eye? And so what do I think the drop opens up the world? I think the whole world opens up in the drop?
Speaker 1: Uh, But yeah, they do it because the bigs are more comfortable in it. But again, if you're playing against great guards, drop coverage just don't work.
Speaker 5: Next question from rashaanah Maud. How big of an impact do you think Kyrie's experience is going to be this year for the Mavericks, not just his play, but his experience in these moments.
Speaker 1: Well, his experience has already been huge. His leadership has been incredible. He knows when to take over a game, when to sit back. And I think what you get to see Kyrie in as a role in a lot like when he played with Lebron, which is Luca being Lebron, Luca being Luke obviously, but you get the point, and Ki doing what Kay does. And so I think his experience is huge. You know, you heard him talk about it last night. None of our guys been in the conference finals. Before most of our guys I knew they'd had him nerve, so I had to be aggressive right away.
Speaker 3: That's experienced, like a man.
Speaker 1: Couldn't tell you that because he hasn't been to the conference finals, right Like no shot at end man. That's just the reality. And so that experience does make a difference. I think it'll continue to make a difference. But like, forget the experience, Kyrie is just that good and his him being that good is also what makes the difference.
Speaker 5: Let's go to from lane. How much of a difference is regular season defense versus playoff defense? How does it differ?
Speaker 1: Actually, go Bert, you also get to use like a lot more hands, you get to be more physical, and more importantly, I'm locked in on you like I play you in the regular season. This made me my fourth game in seven nights. I don't really care about what set you're running, but when I'm playing you for a seven game series, I know every set you're running, I know every tendency you have, and so there's far more preparation for these playoff games than they are in a regular season. So you get you see guys get off in the regular season, defend well.
Speaker 3: In the regular season, but vice versa. On offense.
Speaker 1: Man, if I'm an offensive guy and I'm playing against your defense, I know your defensive tendencies. I'm locked in on those, and that just brings a different beast and then you end up having to play more off instinct sometimes, And like the reality is a lot of guys don't have great instinct, So then they get stuck in the blender and it just don't look the same.
Speaker 5: Let's take one more and then we'll wrap for the show for today from Alvin Mituma. Why do coaches in the NBA stick to similar starting lineups instead of adjusting to the other teams in the matchups? It feels like Kyle Anderson and Nas Reed are better for this series than Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 1: Well, number one, you have to let it not work first, right, Like you're in the conference finals. You can't come into the conference finals like, actually we think Rudy Goberry isn't gonna guard these guys, is good, Let's go nas Read, Let's go Kyle Anderson. So you first have to allow to fail, like you don't fix what ain't broken, not in basketball, not in life.
Speaker 3: It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Speaker 1: And so you get to the conference finals, you can't just come in like, oh, we're pulling Rudy because we know we think it's.
Speaker 3: Not gonna work.
Speaker 1: What if it does, Like you gotta roll with your dogs initially, However, how quickly can you make that adjustment? And it's a ballsy move to say I'm bringing Rudy Gobar off the bench. You but sometimes you have to make those cars right. And like I said, I don't think it's even bringing Rudy off the bench in terms of like, oh, he struggled so badly more so than I think those adjustments just help them in other areas. But yeah, that's a tough thing to do. It's tough having those conversations. You know, it's not easy telling the guy you've done this, this, this, and this, I need you to come off the bench now. Like, that's not an easy conversation to have. Is he mentally strong enough to take that?
Speaker 3: You know? How does he bounce back from that? Do we going to too?
Speaker 1: Like he may go on a tank. You just don't know. I don't know because I'm not in the locker room with them. But those are all of the things that can be going into account or should be taken into account when you have to make a decision like that. However, the ultimate thing that should be taken into account, and we see this every year people not make the adjustment is what.
Speaker 3: Puts us in the best position to win. And if you can make your decisions strictly based on that, you may come out with different decisions. However, I'm here to tell you they're not always strictly based off that. This is a business. Rudy Gobert makes.
Speaker 1: Fifty some million dollars a year, and you're just gonna say, now, at the biggest moment of the season, we're bringing you off the bench. It's a tough, tough, tough thing to do. What you can do is though, like you could say, all right, we letting them play the first four minutes and we getting them out, or you can make quick subs. You can do things like that, but it is a tough call and they may lose them if they do it. So gotta take all of those things into account. But appreciate you'll questions. I appreciate you'all tuning in. That is a rap from this episode of Draymond Green Show. We will be back when we back Jackson.
Speaker 5: Probably Monday night, maybe for a stream sometime early next week.
Speaker 1: Outside all right, there it is, so make sure you lock in. Shoot it out to y'all the next time. We'll be back. But keep enjoying these games. I'm gonna keep enjoying them. Thank y'all for tuning in. That's a rap.
Speaker 3: Peace