Speaker 1: If you haven't pop problem SoC with Babu Son, I got ninety nine, but a boosy ain't what well well well episode ninety nine, guess what we are here?
Speaker 2: The doctor said it couldn't be done.
Speaker 3: I think it's just funny how the listeners they were all talking to each other about how we'd never make it to ninety nine. They said, never made it and.
Speaker 2: We're about using to me is yeah, but here we are.
Speaker 1: Buckle up because Benjamin will be in town for the next one. But anyway, we're here to talk to the NBA trade deadline.
Speaker 3: The Calves just.
Speaker 2: They're the They're the hottest thing in town. And by town, I mean the league h and also some NBO really gritting those teams.
Speaker 1: MTB talk and we got to talk about the Suns with today's guest Lina Washington.
Speaker 2: On today's episode, I'm Miles Gregg and.
Speaker 3: I'm Jack O'Brien and this sees Jack done do three? Got it?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: Look at.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you god driving spinning.
Speaker 5: Katie got it with five.
Speaker 3: He's gonna try another three, mister, Look on, James, be honest, we look out little show time.
Speaker 5: What you go?
Speaker 2: Yes, Lena Washington, thank you so much for joining us. You're here. Look you you're classing the joint up.
Speaker 1: Like I said last time, Emmy Award winning waker and reporter for twelve news listeners in your face.
Speaker 3: You said she couldn't do it. You said we couldn't have an Emmy Award winning sports and.
Speaker 2: We just did.
Speaker 3: And look we did that.
Speaker 5: Look at you now, you look like they said, I wonder what would happen if y'all never made it to one hundred podcasts?
Speaker 3: Yeah we still might not. Well that's right now, Well.
Speaker 5: We better anfest the one hundred, the big wow.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks amazing.
Speaker 5: So because after this one you have to come back a.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or do we just put the mices down. We're like, hey, we did it. Yeah, what do you say, Jack?
Speaker 5: The way to go out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just they're like in the middle of this season, they didn't even talk like they weren't even in the they didn't.
Speaker 2: Get to the All Star break.
Speaker 5: Andrew Loucke and just hang Outah, in the middle of everything.
Speaker 3: My inner seventy six ers fan is having trouble getting out of bed right now. But as an NBA fan, I'm excited. There's a lot of big teams, you're doing some fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, I mean, since we have you, Lena, you know, the Phoenix Suns, you know, I would give us some insight.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, your West Coast team obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean twenty nine and twenty one, you know, looking pretty good.
Speaker 3: For seven in the last ten. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a Laker fan, those are numbers. I wish I was saying out loud about my team, but they're not.
Speaker 3: So I'm the championships.
Speaker 5: You guys have to your name is a number that we would like to say all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean it's fine, it's fine. I mean it's only it's look, we don't have to get into that. But yeah, but it's seventeen. So just make sure everybody knows just for.
Speaker 2: The top, okay, yeah, I mean to talk to us.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Bradley Beal recently put in apparently the one of like, I guess, the most points a player has scored in his first meeting against his former team.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, what better way to show up and have your best game in a son's uniform than when you're going back to your old stomping grounds In DC, it was a homecoming for Kevin Durant as well. But right now, the Big three seems to be humming. I mean, this last stretch of about mid December, when Bradley got healthy and back into the lineup consistently, this team is starting to find its rhythm, its flow, and they're still trying to work through some fourth quarter struggles. I don't know if it's fatigue, if it's a loss of focus, just not as much effort on the defensive end. But we've seen some games get away from them against some teams that they should have gotten wins. Again, so that twenty nine and twenty one record could be better. But right now, as long as the Suns are out of late in tournament position, I think everyone can be satisfied.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, we thought that defense was going to be a struggle for them coming in. It's still kind of the question mark. But again, when you've got these three playing this well, it's pretty exciting to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you have Grayson Allen showing up in a big way. He was like the auxiliary member of the Big three when either KD, your Book or feel were out. And we'll see if he gets a shot at the three point contest in Indianapolis. But it's a fun time to be a Suns fan. The last several years, didn't think we'd be here. So every win, we're coming up on the one year anniversary of Kevin Durant being traded, So just to see that as a reality is something that I think we're still trying to fully grasp. But yeah, it's good vibes in the.
Speaker 2: Valley right now, for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember just remembering like, wait, who ended up? Oh that's right, I remember that's my son was just born. So I was like in and out of keeping up with the news as I was like sleep deprived, and I was like, I'm hallucinating. I'm like Kevin Durant is why am I seeing Kevin Durant Sun's jerseys happening right now? It's been a year already.
Speaker 2: Is Grayson Allen leading the league in three point percent of shooting?
Speaker 5: He is? He is like he should be getting some for real looks to represent the Suns in the All Star Game and see if you can bring back a title, some kind of title.
Speaker 2: Right, But he's not going to be in the three point contest, right I.
Speaker 5: Think they're still considering participation he would be interested, right, and he would be capable.
Speaker 1: I also saw a quote that felt very like mature in the event that he he wasn't selected. He was like, I actually, you know, I have a vacation plan with my wife, so you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna enjoy that time off.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think he would also. I think wife, he would understand if they had to cancel those plans.
Speaker 1: And your man, can you imagine in our game, just like we said, we're gonna go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter pretty soon.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm sorry, it.
Speaker 1: Can work, Yeah, exactly, you know, while you were right right right.
Speaker 3: Uh, hot players right now, I think I feel like nobody's hotter than Brandon Miller his last five games thirty three, thirty five, twenty eight, twenty one, twenty nine. I don't know, He's he's looking like a real one. He's looking like he might be U. He might be another really consequential player coming out of this draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just remember watching I mean I saw him against up close, uh, in his game against the Lakers, and I mean, yeah, thirty three against the Lakers and just.
Speaker 2: He looks he looks real good.
Speaker 3: He looks really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's got He's got it. All I think is the is the phrase that they say. But yeah, I mean looking at a lot of the other rookies. I mean, obviously Wemby's leading the pack in terms of, you know, the points he's putting up, but the performance is that b Millie is putting in. I'm also very very keen to see if that changes you. What are your feelings on that Rookie of the Year race, Lena and how that's shapen up or just Brandon in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, Brandon Miller is showing up in a big way. I think it is probably Wemby's or Chet's award to lose at this point. But I'm curious how you guys think Wemby has lived up to the expectations that were pressed upon him, because I remember last time we were here, we were talking about if there's anything worth giving up for him or if you go with him as the number one pick. So I was all about Wemby media back then. I think it's it's manifested in a really special way, even though the record isn't there for the Spurs, But I think he's running away with this and his charisma and personality too, showing and shining in big moments as well as also special to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good idea to revisit that question, like is there anyone so prior to his draft, we were asking the question, would you trade any single player in the league for the right to draft Victor Webb Yama? And now that we're, you know, approaching the All Star break, like, would people trade any player for web Biyama at this point? I think they probably would At this point, I think Jokic probably, I think maybe Yannis probably Yannis, and but maybe not much more than like those two. It's yeah, is that.
Speaker 5: Just because of the miles that the the other pieces have on them versus a younger body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe even not those two. Maybe even not those two to be honest, Shay, maybe because he's so young and he's just able to lead a team. Shae might be the answer at this point because also, like he's not on a bad contract, is he Like he's on a pretty crazy good contract.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's like one of those things too, where it it's like hard to even conceptualize what it looks like because looking at those sort of highlights from France in a vacuum, you're like, oh yeah, But then like when seeing in an NBA too, and like seeing just the effect that his like length has on people psychologically that I couldn't quite like account for just in like sort of like a thought experiment. Yeah, I mean, but I but like after seeing everything and like between his skill set and like to your point, like his his like will as a competitor, he seems like so mature mentally in this way that I like, I think that's one of his like really underrated traits too, just to see how like he well, you know, we saw that first game in Summer League, and I remember joking.
Speaker 2: We're like, okay, all right, we're out on this guy.
Speaker 3: What a hoax? Sell sell, yeah, get rid.
Speaker 2: Of them, dump it now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, but now you see how much like he is just in the zone and just unafraid to compete.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, yeah, I feel like everybody, anybody would be lucky to have him, to incorporate him in their team.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like the Thunder, they already have a someone very similar, so I think, yeah, they think.
Speaker 2: That they think they probably they will sit tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, I mean and also, like Haimi Hakas, I'm very pleasantly surprised with how he's.
Speaker 5: Been playing to what a perfect opportunity for him, just from the swagger to the work ethic, heat culture, you know, just the way that he was able to make a career out of his time at U c l A and then propelled himself to a championship franchise and get valuable minutes is really impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's heartening for me as a as a bruin myself, I'm like, you know, looking at those teams, I'm like, Okay, I can see some of these guys doing it, but like he's truly a god above and beyond, so well done, well done.
Speaker 5: Watching him in the PAC twelve tournament in the finals the last two years, his will in those battles with U of A. Those were two classic games, and it was so fun to watch him and Tiger compete with again a Tommy Lloyd led team that's just been you know, crushing the PAC twelve. But yeah, Hi Mayhawk is on the heat. That's another guy to watch for some end of the awards perhaps, Yeah, yeah, hopefully.
Speaker 3: I think you'd have Wembing Yama if you redrafted today, I think you'd have Wembing alma one. Probably Brandon Miller too, and then him Hawks who was at eighteen getting drafted third at this point, Yeah, for real, what else is happening around the league? What do we got from from the Lakers side? I know listeners are look, as.
Speaker 2: You saw we beat the Celtics, is nothing, just some just some light work.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Wow, Lebron and Ad must have had a good game.
Speaker 1: Whoa you thought, well, well, well, well, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, we're so up and down.
Speaker 1: Like even then, I was just like, oh my, we'll see though, that shoe was gonna drop the whole time. I kept like watching the game like that. But yeah, it was it was nice to see.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, Ad.
Speaker 1: Put up his third career triple double against the Hornets in that game against Brandon Miller. Uh, and he's yeah, he's doing He's doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: Also, Van Do going out is also not welcome news. But let's let's let's focus on other things. You know, I think there's bigger things to talk about than the Lakers just being you know, I think twenty seven and twenty five at this point.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 3: The Calves though, the Calves hot hot.
Speaker 2: They're so hot.
Speaker 3: They're so hot, right, They're so hot right now.
Speaker 1: These Cavaliers, their cavalier attitude towards the game, their performances, I mean, well, what are they fifteen of fourteen and.
Speaker 3: One over the past fifteen Wow.
Speaker 2: That's wild, because I think they're one.
Speaker 1: That one loss was against the Bucks, who they played the very next day and then beat like like responded pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, that's an impressive run. I know that.
Speaker 1: I know the schedule is gonna get a little bit tighter come March, but so far, I think, like they're so exciting to watch.
Speaker 2: And I know a couple of people who are Cavs fans just like I knew. It's like I never thought it could be like this, but it's happening.
Speaker 1: And to get it to this level, I mean, this is like the what I think is the record I think the best for a non Bronz Caves team.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Far, this street yeah, so yeah, this fifteen game span is the best record in franchise history.
Speaker 2: So you know, the thirty two and sixteen.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I mean, like I think a lot of the question was sort of looking at with like the people coming back from injury, with Mobiley and Garland. Yeah, just like figuring out because before I think, you know, Jackie were saying like it's addition by subtraction. But as they get slowly worked back in, do we think they they're going to fully embrace their full health squad or just keep it to you know, being like if it ain't it's literally not broken, so there's no need to fix it.
Speaker 2: But is there a need to tinker at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're so deep now, Like with those guys coming back, I feel like, I don't know, it always makes more sense to me than it ends up, like working on the court. But if you you're just like all right, so have Garland be like just stagger him, like never have him on the court at the same time as you know Donovan and just have like the best second unit. But I feel like that then you get you know, egos and just like personalities involved, and it never ends up being that clean. But that seems I don't know, it seems like it's working so far. Obviously, Yeah, he's just back, but they seem tough to be their second in the East. Nobody saw this come in a few weeks ago, because nobody knows anything in the NBA media except us, because we're always right.
Speaker 1: Accept us and we talked about the same five teams over and over. Lena, what about you, how you think in the Calves are looking, especially with the players coming back that they have. Were they missing them? Are they not missing them? Or they stumbled upon something a new balance that works for them.
Speaker 5: I mean, what a surprise out of the East. And we've seen a couple of surprises in both conferences in terms of the teams that have propelled themselves to the top of the standings at this point of the season. But I'm kind of in the same boat of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think if you found the continuity right now and you need to incorporate some guys, now is not the time to add in new pieces to kind of mess up the chemistry even more. I think trying to focus in and hone in and not make too many big moves or tinker too much is what we'll set the Calves up for success at this stage. Right I don't know if I don't know if we'll see any real big splash trades in these final couple of days. I don't know what you guys think.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it feels like things are dying down in terms of the deadline. Uh yeah, I mean is it? Does that seem like the it like for the Suns too. It seems like Miles Bridges is probably the loudest the possibility or the.
Speaker 5: Most potential the name I keep hearing floated and that we're pulling the footage of. But don't I don't know if there are any other big kind of KD big moves splash trades that we can anticipate or prepare for or get a you know, notification for in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Wojes bombs in that department. I can't. I don't know. What do you think, Maybe that the Sixers go for someone Jack?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I don't think it makes sense now that this season might be a rite off. You know, we just don't know if indeed's injury, if it does, if it with the possibility that it is, it's just so much is in the air, right like, yeah, you know, with his knee it's you know, they're they're saying revisit in four weeks, but that you know a lot of people went when you see surgery on the meniscus in season, that usually means the end of the season. So I don't know. It seems like we just don't know. But he's also somebody who needs to play himself back into shape and is like a little unsteady because he's incredibly strong, but he's also moving an incredible amount of weight. I feel like the most since Shack. So it's yeah, I just I feel like we're very lucky to have the first half of the season be as fun as it was, and on it it's just eulogizing the air is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We were all I can't back you.
Speaker 3: We gotta believe in games, and we gotta believe in fourteen games until they revisit the staff, his names, I mean, you know me, I'm not. I'm like the biggest pessimist period, Like when they're winning, when they were at their best this year, I'm like, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I know, You're like, I don't even know them. I guess I guess he's putting up just ridiculous numbers. But yeah, but yeah, I mean he's what there. You guys are four and eleven without him, so that obviously doesn't bode well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who knows. I mean, like Wosh said, quote Jack, the door isn't closed.
Speaker 3: Just mentioning. Just hearing woj bombs hurt my heart a little bit. So that's where I'm at as an NBA fan. Yeah right now, Yeah exactly, But yeah, I wouldn't go in on a trade right now because it just doesn't it doesn't feel like you want, you know where you're going to be this season compared to early next season. So it might be it might makes sense to keep your powder dry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and and yeah, producer Jabari was telling us too here in our little sidebar about like the type of procedure he did where you know embiide is having like the one that has like quicker recovery time just to kind of touch up the meniscus.
Speaker 3: Got a little touch up, Yeah, a little touch up trimsky.
Speaker 1: But then you got you know, people like Dwayne Wade and Ron Artest saying like when they were in the similar situation, They're like, I wish I just.
Speaker 2: Went for the full on repair.
Speaker 3: The full monisk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a tough one.
Speaker 3: You just want to you want him to do what is best for his career long run, like as a Sisors fan or just like a fan of the NBA.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess that does make that sort of the last few weeks. It does put a different tinge on it, like I can't believe what he's doing, Like he's really chickening out.
Speaker 5: Of course. Yeah, that will be the narrative, whether we like it or not. Someone's going to, you know, come up with that. Take that one of the top competitors in the league, one of the guys who has the most prove and it's tried to prove year after year in spite of injuries, isn't trying to work his way back to take his team on a deep playoff run.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and then despite that was potentially maybe doing some damage while trying to overcome those sort of accusations and that narrative, and then it's a bit of a tragedy.
Speaker 2: Jack, the door is still open. The door is still open.
Speaker 1: I choose to see the door still open in the universe exactly, and the universe.
Speaker 5: Staff, so.
Speaker 2: Gotta get your yarling in.
Speaker 3: Can you take this team higher.
Speaker 4: Tyres Maxie, please help me.
Speaker 2: I think it's possible.
Speaker 1: Creed, please don't send us another cease and desist, because I felt like that was enough of a parody that falls under.
Speaker 2: Fair use.
Speaker 1: Seconds right, yeah, yeah, yeah, and that was clearly a parody. Clearly a parody, clearly a parody. I think I don't have to say that, but yeah, I think you know, stay, you're the universe will beckon you at least through to the second round.
Speaker 3: You know that that means a lot. I don't know if that's true, but we will your energy.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, that's what you guys think. That's great, you guys think glad. You guys so positive.
Speaker 3: Some of us really really tough. The Knicks look incredible, the Calves look incredible. I'm sure the Bucks are going to get it together. Magic coming out of nowhere. So well, we shall see. I've enjoyed. Thank you, Joe el Embiid for your service up to this point. You let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll check in around the week. We'll dring that and we're back. We're back, And I don't know why we have to keep telling these guys.
Speaker 2: It's the law. It's a lot physics.
Speaker 3: Score sixty points, your team is going to lose. Exactly. If you score seventy, your team will win. So if you think you can get to seventy, fine, go for it. But if you get in the sixties, your team's gonna lose. Steph proved it again. You know we had Cat who else do we have go for sixty in the past weeks and lose and now we got Steph go for sixty.
Speaker 5: Devin Booker drops Devin Booker.
Speaker 2: Book Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was seventy and a loss before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't guaranteed drop seventy and win.
Speaker 3: Okay, well this is a new rule. This like that just started the past word Yeah, the NBA just instituted it in the past yea a couple of weeks. But anyway, Steph still incredibly fun to watch, Still one of the funnest people to see when he's locked in sixty point out burst Saturday versus the Hawks. The Hawk and the Wizards seemed to be the two teams that people are uh just feasting upon. Yeah yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think they call that food bro in the UK. Yeah, yeah, in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, look, or I say, a team that inspires greatness, that's right, that's I think that's one way to look at that coin. And it's inspirational for sure. But you know, just as we talk about Steph putting up sixty, this Klay Thompson, he's been I'm worried about Clay.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just I know he's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: It's more the it's more the process in which an athlete, a human being comes to grips with that things.
Speaker 2: Aren't just happening the way they used to be.
Speaker 1: There's like an era. There's like an air of confusion about it. I think that's what kind of bums me out because like he's like kind of scratching his head.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, like you go from like one of the best to like he couldn't even find the working meat.
Speaker 5: Injuries would do that to a place, I think.
Speaker 3: Totally the Achilles that's we've seen it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a tough it's just a tough, tough thing.
Speaker 1: But I mean like but just like he wears he you know, he wears his heart on his sleeve, and it's just like recently, like, hey, is it hard you know, like, you know, I have been closing out the games and he's like, yeah, you're kidding me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the way he said you're kidding me, I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, Clay, Clay, Clay, please baby. I know, I know, I know it's different now, but yeah, there's just a there's just a little bit, you know, mortalic. We all have to accept our mortality, and I guess in this case athletic mortality. Am I the only one who feels somewhat I'm like, I see that. I'm like, oh ow ow wow wow yow YOWI or you or Jack, you're kind of like you're gonna be fine, brood go crying your cat money.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, it was like I did close Game five. It doesn't matter who remembers that kind of stuff, sir. You just now No, I mean it's painful.
Speaker 3: It's painful because he is, like like you said, he just you know, he doesn't have a poker face, so no, you just get to see what his feelings are like on his face, and he's so honest. I don't know. It just made me really like Clay Thompson more. Yeah, but yeah, it's it's tough to see correct.
Speaker 5: It's it's a bummer when any of you know, these prolific scorers, athletes, these players part of dynasty teams start to fade and Father Time is largely undefeated, unless you are, of course, like Terena Williams, Lebron, James, Tom Brady, right, a couple a handful of other athletes in the history of all sports to play at a high level past your thirties. I mean you're thirty four, you're like geriatric. In the NBA, I mean, Kevin Rant is like considered a senior citizen and he's still playing at a high level, which is considered an anomaly. So when you think of a guy like Klay Thompson and what he's had to overcome, it's not necessarily surprising. But yeah, it's a bummer. He's one of those guys you want to root for. Just his personality, his charisma, his love for the Bay and the fan, his openness and vulnerability throughout all of his rehab and the mental that comes with that has been really you know, encouraging as a fan to see you know, players open up about that.
Speaker 1: But right, yeah, it feels like because we are in this sort of in a bit of a different era, you know, where players are more vulnerable and open about what their feelings are and how whatever's happening is affecting them. And yeah, that honesty. It's like, I think maybe that's what it is too. I'm not used to seeing that, you know what I mean from an athlete. Like usually they're like, yeah, we'll get him next year, and then they cry behind the scenes, right, you know what I mean, and then you hear about it in the biograph. It's like that was the darkest interview actually ever gave. And I know, look, I have my chin up, but it was actually the saddest moment of my life where he is really sort of giving it to us in real time, and I think that's what. Yeah, I think like it's endearing in this way, but then I'm also realizing, like, oh right, I'm also used to this very like specific way of like never communicating weakness, especially for a professional athlete like in a public setting. So yeah, the honest, radical honesty, radical acceptance, that's.
Speaker 2: What it's all about.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, his career has like had tremendous longevity, and he came back from that injury and won a title and got to uh you know, drive his boat to the parade and uh, you know, all sorts of the great Clay Thompson stuff.
Speaker 1: So totally totally, Yeah, it's not it's not an entire let's not still not say the whole thing's been tragic.
Speaker 2: It's just more like these moments where it's like, uh.
Speaker 1: You realize it's like, just yank, it's not you're gonna be just starting to saying stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, your old man used to.
Speaker 1: Be able to do this, and that's when, Yeah, the washed, the washed Reaper comes for all of us, the washed river.
Speaker 3: I can still see him because he's still shooting well from three. It's just that people have to respect his drive left. But I can still see him getting hot for a quarter and like having an outburst here and there. Like I don't think he's completely cooked or anything.
Speaker 1: But there's also been some you know, some pretty eye opening performances in the sense you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, those some of the things.
Speaker 1: The pieces that used to click together for him, like are kind of jumbled at times. So it's yeah, it's it's definitely a balancing act as we go into the third act on Careers.
Speaker 3: By the way, Shams is reporting six to eight weeks following the surgery for Joel Embiid, so by the end of the episode, we should finally have confirmation he's out for the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we're gonna be We're gonna be playing with church organ music, and you're gonna be up there with a handkerchief being like, I just thank you everything you've done it.
Speaker 2: Beautiful man, beautiful.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about who's hot, because yeah, so Clippers just hit number one on the Athletic and NBA dot COM's NBA Power Rank News or I guess they've been number one for the past couple of weeks, which is kind of wild. The Knicks are number seven, while teams like the Bucks have fallen to number eight. Mm hmm, and I think the cab Yeah, the Cavs are now second in the East. Sixers are at thirteen and ten on the Athletic and NBA dot Com. But the Knicks are are on a tear right. Yeah, like they just have They've got like that heat culture thing going where it's just like everybody knows how to defend. Everybody's kind of on the same page about like what it means to play for this team. They're a lot of fun. Okay, see he remains hot the Clippers out West. I don't know, it's it's fun because it's not the teams that everybody was talking about heading in other than like Denver is still southd lay there obviously, and Boston is still absolutely you know, scorching.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, playing Lebron.
Speaker 3: And if anyone is going to knock off the Celtics or the Nuggets, Lena, who do you think who who do you think has the best shot?
Speaker 5: Well, I have to say with confidence the Suns. You know, just you know, I would get probably eviscerated if I didn't say that on this podcast. But I mean, the timber Wolves are surprising. I think that would be an interesting matchup. I don't know, it would just be interesting to watch those two teams, you know, a surprise out of the West and then the defending chance going up against each other. But the Knicks are the surprise in the East. It was cool to see Jalen Brunson getting emotional too. He's just kind of taken on this identity, the heart and soul of this franchise in the you know, biggest basketball arena in the world, the most heralded, so I'm interested to see if the Celtics can even keep it together in the postseason because it was a challenge last year, it's been a challenge in recent seasons. So you know, I think the Suns that they can stay healthy, they can rival with Denver. Last season, things fell off in the postseason after their run with the Clippers with Chris Paul's injury and all that. So of course health is the magic Elick sur for every team to be successful at this time of year. But you know, I like that the standings are a little bit different from what we've seen recently. And then of course the play in I've been all in on the plane since the first season. So whatever teams are going to be competing those final four, I think those games are going to be spicy, competitive and then once you're in, it's anyone's game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it feels like, honestly, right now, it's like rise of the teams that don't have the added pressure of media scrutiny or a time and not say that like as a dig, but it's like it's like like every every Nicks, Clippers and Calves fan is basically like.
Speaker 2: Ain't what are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Us?
Speaker 1: At all, and we are solidly up there, and it's like and everyone's kind of like referencing, like, oh yeah, I mean obviously they're they're they're a hot team right now. But yeah, there's I think just that lack of expectation too, and the outside expectation on maybe some other teams this year is I don't know, created a nice opportunity.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, all their pieces are just humming along in a way that makes you.
Speaker 5: Promise and over deliver is kind of the theme for some of this season. The Calves, the Timberwolves, Thunder, uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then looking at just like the MVP talk Kawhi Yeah, is it.
Speaker 3: Time to start talking Kawhi Leonard for m VP. He's never won it. He's probably like has the body of work, uh, you know, best career of anybody in the league who has never won MVP before. I mean two finals MVPs. He's coming second, I think once and yeah Steph, yeah, yeah to Steph. But you know that it would make I mean, I think he's the best player in the league a lot of the time, you know, on any given night, and this team is twenty four and three over the last twenty seven games he's played one. That's pretty good. I'd say that's like Duke in the nineties, Like that's like, you know, like that record is not an NBA record. Twenty four and three is like yeah, powerhouse.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, we were just like hypothesizing, like assume they the Clippers went all the way and then Kawhi gets finals MVP. That's three different teams, three different times to get finals MVP. That would like you'd have to have some serious discussions in general about looking about like okay, now where do we place this guy?
Speaker 3: Well, now what yeah, yeah, same.
Speaker 5: Thing with Jokic. Right, those are two guys. It's crazy to think that in this generation are kind of mounting and positioning themselves in a top ten twenty all time conversation when you look at the accolades, if we're judging on that, the hardware, the trophies, the awards, they have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like elsewhere, I mean, I think you got your usual suspects that everyone's talking about, Shay Jalen Brunson, Jason Tatum, Jokic, who will never not be in that conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Denver is probably going to have to stay pretty competitive for the rest of the season because it's such a logjam at the top up in the West, like, so it's not like last season where they had like a five game So I think he's gonna have to stay, you know, putting up big numbers. So I could definitely see it being Jokic just playing out of his mind down the stretch, pulling away from everybody, and you know, they're just being a lot of energy for Yokic should have won anyway last year. But I think like the Kawhi story is starting to make a lot of sense to me. Shay makes a lot of sense to me, but I feel like they probably won't give it to him at this point because he's kind of still not a proven commodity. But yeah, that like Shay, Kawhi, and Yokic feel like the top three that makes the most sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a man even rivalries aside.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I I like to see.
Speaker 1: Kawhi Leonard playing at his best because he's it's so it's fun to watch so attack minded. And then if he's like, oh, do you want me to just lock you up and take you away? Because I can do that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always fun to see.
Speaker 5: It was good to you know, it was good to watch him in full force last year during the playoffs and having Rustle there and seeing them rise to the occasion. Yeah, and to see the Suns pull pull it out against that team. But yeah, I mean, Kawhi Leonard Healthy is one of the greatest to watch and enjoy. And if he can stay off the bench and out of street clothes for the rest of the season, there's a good argument for him the MVP.
Speaker 1: How come Jason Tatum is always just kind of you know, on the on the periphery because you know, Jabari brings up a good pint producer, Jabi. He's like, is he always going to be the best man and never the groom even with the best record year after year.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe, maybe maybe I just feel like even Celtics fans aren't like he's the m VY, like you guys should, you know, they're always like a little disappointed in how he's performing. Yeah, because yeah, he ends up shooting a lot of threes and like I feel like could be like more assertive, more like taking people to the rack, Like he just doesn't. He still hasn't like fully developed into the person that I think a lot of Celtics fans want to see him become and they feel like that is maybe not getting them where they need to be to win a title with.
Speaker 5: Killer instinct from the jump right every minute that you're on the floor. I think maybe that just falling short or letting up a little bit is is maybe the the right that fans have in n you're not taking it to your maximum potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is wild too, because even with him not maxing out, you're like, sir, okay, that's that's that's what I would call a good performance. But yeah, I get that too. I think it was you when you're when you're ceiling is that high? Then it feels like it's it feels like you're just not quite getting hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a difference between the ninety seventh and like one hundredth percentile. It's like feels like splitting hairs. But it does. Right, Like when you listen to Celtics fans like they like you hear you know, they're just kind of like, ah, I's so good, I just want him to do that like one.
Speaker 2: Extra little bit better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because if it's also just like a PTSD kind of effect with them where it's accumulated in big moments, maybe he doesn't rise to the occasion or the moment, and so just all of that, Yeah, it's built up over time to create this narrative or feeling towards Tatum.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It kind of reminds me of like I was a big Lebron fan his whole his whole career, and there was that period in his career where it felt like he didn't always have a killer instinct and it was it was a big narrative that was kind of overblown, but they were like he'll like pass it all off at the end. But and then there was that game against the Celtics when during the heats like run to the finals to their first championship, I think it was where he just like locked in and really just annihilated them, like had the best game I'd seen him have and just it was like the game that he had to do that for them to win, for his legacy, and he just did it. And like, I feel like that's what people are waiting for from Tatum, Like that game where it's just like he puts it all together and it's just like, no, I'm not letting my team lose, and like's a lot of task for though. I mean, Lebron James is maybe the best player to ever play, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like he could be doing a little bit more, honestly, you know, as a Lakers fan.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, I just feel like, you know, just.
Speaker 1: He could just go a little just a little bit more, just a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe never satisfied, Never satisfied.
Speaker 3: And fans are realistic and that's the thing that we can always come back to them.
Speaker 2: Because look, Lebron to Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lebron, I also graduated high school in two thousand and three. And it's someone that's three months older than you. We gotta recognize when it's just time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Son Lebron James on your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my son. That's my son in a in a very high school way. That's how I would never let him forget that, even though he's the go. I would be like, you know, I'm three months older than you, right, like, because that's how you always that's your currency when you're like a younger person, you're like, well, you know, I'm not two weeks older than them, like obviously, so like they gotta listen to what I said.
Speaker 3: It's a noticeable two months. Yeah, oh yeah, it's a noticeable. Oh yeah, like there's a maturity to you, like Lebron.
Speaker 1: Bringing the picture of Well, Lebron and I are in third grade.
Speaker 2: Look how much bigger I am than him?
Speaker 3: And I'm standing on an apple cart, yeah, apple box.
Speaker 2: And he's on his knees and he's only two inches shorter.
Speaker 3: Grade. He was like, already bigger than me.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, for sure. Yeah, take a break and come back for the rapid fire a round a question.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this, and we are back Lina Washington, Well, you may have forgotten.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you're in the Valley of the Sun, but it's definitely getting hot in there because you're in the hot seat, and it's time for the fourth quarter rapid fire around questioning the hottest question answer, I said, the.
Speaker 3: Hottest, hottest, and the fast person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, answering session in podcasting history.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes it's like really hot, and sometimes like all of a sudden, I'll notice that you can see the guest's breath because it gets so cold, like it soldier drops thirty degrees in the room. Back there in. It really depends on kind of the energy the questions we've prepared.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what's fun is I can write my answer on like the fogged up window near exactly slowly but surely you'll be able to understand my response to the question that it's kind of so quickly to me that I have to really think quickly.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, there's nothing slowly but surely about this segment. It is quickly and just rapidly random. Uh, you know, surely?
Speaker 1: And yeah, Lena, we obviously know that it's clear that you're an honor student because you understood the assignment.
Speaker 2: But are you ready now to come through with it?
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 5: I think I'm prepared, Okay, as sure as I'm going to be sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep it quick, keep it quick, don't don't don't drag it along?
Speaker 2: Why start the clock? The clock started, right? I just want to confirm, okay, for like.
Speaker 5: A friend is there like a fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Almost seems like she's stalling, doesn't it? Miles doesn't stall in the fastest segment in podcasting. What's going on?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: You can't no cheat sheets, no phone, a friend, no open notes here, You're just going straight off the dome.
Speaker 2: Okay, and it's fast. The count, the clock's already starting.
Speaker 3: Friends on that, I was like, oh, you got a friend you think you're better than me. Okay, that's how I take it.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh you didn't. You didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't alienate yourself from your friend Lebron James because you kept harping on about how you're three months older than him.
Speaker 2: Weird, could have been my.
Speaker 5: Friend Lebron right now.
Speaker 2: No, Lebron, you know who. Guess what he said. Anyway, we gotta keep this thing going. Who's who's first? Jack? You or me?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Why don't you go first? Miles, I'll go first.
Speaker 1: Lena Washington, All Star Weekend is coming up, just very very soon.
Speaker 2: Give me you're.
Speaker 1: All time Fantasy Dunk Contest lineup. You're picking four dunkers anytime, anytime.
Speaker 5: Time, anytime. Well, I have to go Vince Carter, just because it's Vince Carter. Well, he existed, he graced a basketball court. He has a pretty decent vertical, so I would assume he would be able to add some.
Speaker 2: Vince Carter. Yeah, okay, harder, but not Prince Harder.
Speaker 3: He was passing around some highlights from his rookie season and just like some of the dunks, like he was doing some of the dunks that he did in that dunk contest, like in game.
Speaker 1: Game as a rookie is like wild as he should. We have to keep this segment moving.
Speaker 5: So Okay, so number two of four, I guess maybe Aaron Gordon, so that he could prepair of super elaborate dunk contests like performance where it's like the drone goes from Lucas Oil Stadium and then drops the basketball into the or you know, right to the arena, and then the led court lights up and all this stuff, and then you know, the Pacers mascot comes in and he jumps over him while doing a full three sixty like access turn and then losing again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that'd be for these dunks designed by Doc Brown from you know that.
Speaker 2: Recent that recent hit film from the nineteen Goldberg. Okay, you got to Who's four two?
Speaker 5: Feel obligated to say, Lebron James just because Miles you could be a part of it. He could just like walk up to and over.
Speaker 1: You and then just see yeah, or hold me like a baby and be like and be like you're my yeah. Oh yeah, he rocks the cradle, but it's me in his arms and then throws me through the hoop and I don't have serious injury from it.
Speaker 5: Let's how the medics are involved. But this is again just like envisioning this mountains of dunks specifically, and like who would be able to execute them best? And then maybe if there's some backstory or context that would add to the zad of the show. So only if files is involved in Lebron's dunk what I want you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: And the fourth before uh, you know, how about what was his name? Was? It? Was it? Uh Mac McClung, who wanted the other?
Speaker 3: Was that his name?
Speaker 5: Mac? How can.
Speaker 3: Ye was that last time? Shoot?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was.
Speaker 5: A flies when you're you're sipping the mac mcclunk kool aid.
Speaker 2: I know you know that.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know what happened, and I haven't followed his career, Uh, Lena, Unfortunately, you did not specify years for Vince Carter, so it will be modern day Vince Carter and the dunk contest. Unfortunately, So it's still you'd still be good.
Speaker 5: You still got it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So Yeah, that was good. You know, it was not fast enough, but you nailed it. Anyways, it was it was highly entertaining. What school yard game do you want to see added to the All Star weekend? It can be you know, I think we said we were saying the Pro Bowl, we've we've seen due dodgeball and a tug of war. What game would you like to see NBA players compete against one another?
Speaker 5: I'll give I'll give three, Okay, speak as I can't choose, and I know, I know this is like a really like I have to answer quickly, but I just wanted to be really thorough. So the first of the four square because I know athletes can be very competitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, boollyard.
Speaker 5: Games and you got to play house rules your cherry popcorn?
Speaker 3: Popcorn? What are we talking that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so so that Red Rover. Just see the pure violence of being clotheslined by running at full speed into your friends, maybe some broken maybe you know, on bones popping out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could be like that Last Survivor show where all of the like most powerful people in the government get blown up and Keeper Sutherland is like the guy who is designated survivor, and like it would be the NBA version that where all the best players just have their arms like ripped out of their sockets. And so it's Mac McClung from long Is leading the league in scoring in the playoffs with their team.
Speaker 5: And then the third I would probably want to see is teather ball. Oh wow, more of a controlled environment. Yeah, so it really takes skill focus. I would liken it to like a tennis match. So it's just you and no coaching allowed, and it's just a ball on a string and your opponent and you're just trying to see who's going to of wind that rode around that hole faster. So I would say those three red, rovert, coursequare and tetherball need to become Olympic sports by twenty eight.
Speaker 1: We just have this from the judges. You got two of the three right. Unfortunately we can't tell you which one was wrong. But I do have to ask you this question, which I think you can get right. Who's the greatest Sons player ever and who's the most underrated Sons player of your fandom.
Speaker 5: I mean, I have to say Charles Berkley is my favorite Sons player ever, from what he meant to the city, what he did when he was part of the team to now, you know, actually claiming the valley and claiming this team underrated.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 5: You know, in line of his retirement, Goran Dragic the dragon himself. I will say he didn't get a lot of love, but he was an instrumental figure and some some fun teams to watch out here. So maybe that's recency biased, but just thinking about him hanging it up and then just remembering his times here and you know, bringing his twin brother along also for some of those rides. Those will be my two.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna get the throwback a drug when.
Speaker 5: I have a Sean Marion throwback Jersey. So that was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his his number in Jersey retired in the Ring of Honor. So yeah, a Rry Sottomeyer's net. So, oh you're in Phoenix, come check it out.
Speaker 2: I'll bring my goggles.
Speaker 3: Amazing as you should. Well, Lena Washington, you have made it through the gauntlet.
Speaker 2: That was the right answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the great answer. It was so hot. My question, I know a mid thing.
Speaker 1: You were wearing athletic material that's breathing and sweat wicking, because it's not apparent you look immaculate, Thank you so much. Where do the people find you and follow you, listen to you, see you, all that experience, your greatness, all of that stuff.
Speaker 5: You can find me on social I really only use X and Instagram, So you can find me at l Washington TV. If you live in the Phoenix to Flagstaff area in Arizona, you can find me on twelve News, the NBC affiliate. We've got Waste Management Phoenix open coverage coming up, and we'll also be following the Suns in the playoff run, the Sun Devils and Wildcats the NCAA tournament. We have the Final four coming up in the valley. So a lot of fun things to look forward to, and that you can see me reporting on. And if you see me out in the streets, say what's up, give me some kind of shout up from the Mad Boostis crew, and that you listen to the pod number ninety nine hopefully one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, we'll see, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: You know, Touch and Go.
Speaker 5: You canceled after this, so I mean I'm Touch and Go commemorating ninety.
Speaker 2: Nine this Touch and Go. That's what we say.
Speaker 3: You can make sure you've canceled for saying pizzas this supposed to pronounce pizza like that? Man?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: What are you even really? Man?
Speaker 2: But I can't believe we let this guy near a microphone.
Speaker 1: We'll make sure you guys follow us. Check out the hashtag mad boost Yes m A D B W O S D I E S so you can catch all the show links and updates. You can follow me on Twitter at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: Can you follow me at Jack Underscore Bryan and shout out to listener at Farren l E for predicting the first time All Star Scottie Barnes. Yeah, yeah, back in back in October, we got we got the smart listeners.
Speaker 2: I mean it was that.
Speaker 1: I mean not to rain on that parade, but that's because indeed went out right.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, he actually predicted that. He said, you know, Embeid is going to go down with an injury. And I like the ring of Scottie Barnes All Star, so I like that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he was getting risky with the minisky and the story rights itself.
Speaker 2: You already know, all right, y'all, we will see you. Don't be Minsky disrepair it, y'all.
Speaker 3: Until next time, don't be risky with the minisky