Speaker 1: Pushkin. I'm Jacob Goldstein. This is what's your problem? And my guest today is David Otter. David is a labor economist at MIT, and among other things, he's done really influential work on how new technology affected American workers over the past several decades. In particular, his work makes a compelling case that computers contributed to rising inequality in the late twentieth and early twenty first centuries. So I was interested, and I was pleasantly surprised when I recently read some new work of his that suggested that AI might actually drive inequality down. It's a nuanced story and it's a really interesting case that he makes, And of course we don't actually know what's going to happen, but whatever happens, David Otter's framework is a really useful way for thinking about the way technology affects work, affects who does what, who makes how much money? So to start, I asked him to talk about what happened when computers started to become common in offices back in the nineteen eighties, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, information technology, The computer was different from many other technologies that preceded, and what made computers different traditional computers like PREAI computers, is that they followed rules and they could you could write a program to accomplish a task that you would previously have thought of as a cognitive procedure.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It required all these ifens, all these steps gathering information, doing calculation and making things that we thought of were you know, exclusively in the minds dominion, right, And so that that codification might took out a lot of the routine tasks in the work that people did. How that affected work was really quite nuanced, right, So people who did bookkeeping and accounting, right, they spent much much less of their time on data you know, tabulation, data calculation, and much more on scenario planning right on forecasting, on you know, forensics, trying to you know, find errors and so among technical, professional managerial work, it made work more productive and it made more specialized. It eliminated a lot of the grunt work and enabled people to focus on the abstract problems. But for the other group of people whose work was simplified, whether it was in the kind of you know, uh, stock and inventory clerks, whether it's people who were doing who were working as cashiers who used to have to know, you know, how to be able to make change and you know, keep traffing numbers on.
Speaker 3: It made the work simpler and less specialized.
Speaker 2: And in the case of production work, and you know, it eliminated certain types of production jobs, certain types office jobs because they could be more or less fully automated. And that had the effect of taking people with you know, high school degrees and some college and making their skills less valuable in offices, less valuable in you know, in factories and assembly lines. And so it shifted the weight of employment for people without college degrees away from offices, away from factories, and towards a lot of services food service, cleaning, security, entertainment, recreation, home health aids. And that's socially valuable work, but it's poorly paid. And there's a number of reasons why it's poorly paid on oversimplified, but one of them is it's not specialized. Right, people can do it without training your certification.
Speaker 1: So one example that I find helpful in thinking about the kind of dynamics you're talking about is looking at accountants versus bookkeepers. Accountants focus more on the big pick sure typically have a college degree, often a special license. Bookkeepers focus more on the day to day look at you know, money coming in and out of a business. They don't typically have as much training as accountants, and so I mean, can you just talk about how computers affected accountants versus bookkeepers.
Speaker 2: So for accountants, it was the story of essentially eliminating the supporting work, the inexpert work, the drudge work, and allowing them to focus on the cognitively demanding stuff right, to do the problem solving, to do the forecasting, to do the scenario planning, to do the forensics of finding you know, errors and issues and so on.
Speaker 1: Accountants can be better accountants because of computers. They can do figure out more complicated ways to save people money on their taxes or to find errors or whatever. And so it's good for accountants yep, and other similar you know sort of professionals with a high amount of expertise. Right, and then the as a tool that's making them better at their jobs. What is it doing to the bookkeepers?
Speaker 2: So it's making your work like specialized less specialized, right, and so many more people can do it, and therefore it doesn't have to pay as well. It may grow right because firms like well, look it's cheaper than it used to be. It's more productive than it used to be and lots of people can do it h and we see this often, right, So like another nice another example this is ride hailing hailing software the you know the phone apps right, uber.
Speaker 3: Uber, uberlyft Right.
Speaker 2: They changed the work of taxi and chauffeur service in number of ways. They made it much easier to enterance on. But one thing they did is they entirely eliminated the expertise that was required to drive, because you used to have to know your way around.
Speaker 1: A place to drive, famously in London, Right, there's a test that you had to know every street in London or something to be a cap driver in to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take about three years of memorization. It was an incredibly rigorous feed Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you can now you can just get a map on your phone. Like now, technoledge is just profoundly obsolete. It's such a wild show, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it's totally economically stranded, right. It's it's still out there, but it isn't useful. It has no scarcity value, right because everybody else gets it on their phone.
Speaker 3: So what did this do? It eliminated the.
Speaker 2: Expertise requirement to do this work, but it made the work very productive. Right, So we have you know, several hundred percent more people in this walk of life in driving show for service than we did twenty years ago, but their pay, the pay of a taxi driver's showpers has fallen relative to the average.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So this so this dynamic of simplifying work enabling more people to do it but at lower rates of pay. That's one of the kind of directions that automation can push, but it can push in the other just like those accountants.
Speaker 1: So you have this phrase, at least I associate the phrase with you that describes this phenomenon, the hollowing out of the middle. And it seems like this is roughly as a sort of crude sure, college degree not college degree, seems like a way to draw the line for who on average benefited from the arrival of computers and who on average was hurt by It is that about, right?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I mean that has been over the last forty years has been the huge economic dividing line.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The earnings differential between college and on college you know, was always you know, substantial, and then around nineteen eighty started rising and rising, and it rose for thirty years and then has plateaued at that point. So now the college high school differential on average and is about seventy five percent.
Speaker 1: So people with college degrees make seventy five percent more for our people.
Speaker 2: On average, Yeah, on average, so huge, huge difference.
Speaker 1: So okay, now we have set the table for the arrival of AI. Right, this is this is a story, a true story of what's happened over the last several decades because of computers. Now we have this new kind of technology showing up at our doorstep. You've written a story about how AI might arrive quite differently in the labor force than computers did, right, with different distributional effects. Tell me about that.
Speaker 2: So over the last you know, really over the last four decades, we've become a society dominated by services. You know, we spend twenty percent of GDP on health care and education. It's like, you know, so back in the you know, nineteen forty, right, we spent a lot more money on you know, cars and appliances and food and clothing.
Speaker 1: Food. Food was a huge at the household budget in nineteen forty and now it's ten percent instead of thirty or forty or something.
Speaker 2: Right, But why so the mixed news in that is why do we spend less on those things? Partly because we've gotten really productive with them. They've gotten really cheap, right, all these services like healthcare, like education, like law, they've not We've not gotten more productive with them, right, we just have expensive people doing them. And those people have gotten more expensive as the services become more necessary.
Speaker 3: They've not gotten faster with them.
Speaker 2: And so this created it's a distribution income that very much favors the professional class and the guilds of people, be they lawyers, be they doctors, they be they professors, right, you know, engineers, architects, you know, contractors, And so that's not a great scenario for most people. You know, if you're a professional, you're on both sides that transaction. Like you know, yes, you have to pay a ton to a lawyer and to send your kid to college. But on the other hand, you're paid a lot to you know, do marketing, whatever it is that you do. But for most people, most people are not in that line of work, right. Only you know, forty percent of us workers have a college degree. Most of them are not highly paid professionals. So most people are only on the side of the transaction where they pay a lot.
Speaker 3: Of money for those services.
Speaker 2: So the potential for AI is to enable more people to do that expert work and bring down its price while increasing the set of jobs available to people.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's two sides of the coin you're sort of packing into that last half of the sentence. Right, So you're saying more people could do jobs that are now done by a small guild of expects. So that's good for the people doing the jobs. And also if that happened, it would bring down the price of those services, So that's good forever.
Speaker 3: That's good for customers.
Speaker 1: Like that sounds like a lot to ask for, Like what what is an example?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Like what do you think? Sure?
Speaker 2: But let me also say, like, not everybody loves that story, right, Who doesn't love that story?
Speaker 3: The people at the top of that pyramid.
Speaker 1: Right, right, you know, the people in the guilds. That's why they're in a gilt.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But so let's do an example because it'll become much clearer. Like you you've written about doctors and nurse practitioners right in this context, So you.
Speaker 2: Know nurse practitioners, you know, they're registered nurses who have an additional master's degree, and that enables them to diagnose.
Speaker 3: Treat and prescribe.
Speaker 2: In many states they can debscribe, not all of them, it depends, you know, there's different rules, and they now that really encroaches on the territory that used to be wholly owned by physicians, right, and you know this, they have not been welcomed by the American Medical Association, not all. They fought very hard to limit their scope of practice. And in fact, you know, the neurors practitioners basically it's been a you know, they started sixty years ago, like trying to create a credential, a curriculum of scope of practice. They you know, fought their way and that it's only in the last twenty years they've grown, and they expected to grow a lot, but always facing great pushback from the medical establishment. Why because they're encroaching on their expert territory that's very threatened. So I think like the you know, the growth of mirrors practitioners has in many ways been good for the labor market and good for patients.
Speaker 3: Right, It's brought down costs.
Speaker 1: And is the evidence I haven't looked at the evidence on this in particular.
Speaker 2: The evidence is not there's there isn't enough evidence on this, Okay, So I mean I.
Speaker 1: If there isn't a clear evidence one way or the other, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's one paper I know, but it's in a very very limited scope, so I would know it's in the Veterans Administration. But I think like from a from a like, like I brought my kids to the pediatrician.
Speaker 3: And my began bringing my kids to pediatrician.
Speaker 2: There were no open nurse practitioners and I would wait hours to see the pediatrician. He was terrific, but then it was like a half day lost by the time my kids were ten, Right, I would just go into the p diatrican's office and boom, I would see a nurse practitioner and it was so great. And they were attentive, right, and they were knowledgeable, they're up to date, and they were accessible.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And of course and that's a that's a high pay job and it's growing rapidly. So now that's not a function of AI clearly, right.
Speaker 1: So so okay, so now we have a we have this structure, bring AI into the story. Now, how does how does AI bear our story?
Speaker 2: So? AI gives people tools to accomplish complicated things that might be out of reach without those tools. But let me be clear, it doesn't mean anyone can do anything. Doesn't mean I can just go into met doctors often be a nurse practitioner.
Speaker 3: Right, you need to have domain knowledge.
Speaker 2: Right, I have to understand, like what do I do with someone starts bleeding or has a heart attack.
Speaker 3: I need to.
Speaker 2: Understand, you know, a ton of things. But given that, with better tools, I can do more.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So AI can help with diagnosis, right, it can help figure out how a medical practitioner should allocate their time and attention. Appointment with a nurse practitioner, even in a clinic, maybe twelve minutes, maybe twenty minutes, there's a ton that could happen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Having a tool that says, hey, here's the medical record, right, this is what we saw last time. You know, here's your high priority item, and here's it you know, and here's the right resources.
Speaker 3: And then you, between the AI.
Speaker 2: And yourself, you can say, okay, now I can triage this and decide should I send this person home?
Speaker 3: Should I refer them upward? Can I care for them now?
Speaker 2: And so you are it's a force multiplier for your expertise right enables you to go further, and that would be true. You know, whether you're if you're doing legal work, if you're doing accounting work, if you're developing software. Software is an area where AI is going to allow lots.
Speaker 3: And lots of entry.
Speaker 2: A lot more people can do software using AI because they don't have to understand a much of the kind of engineering of coding. Now as you hear software is going to you knows exist at many levels. Right the people who are training AI models, running data centers, doing enterprise software, they will be very specialized, very highly paid. But there will be a lot more software that's like Uber drivers.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want some to vibe code, you know, an app for my home to do X, Y and Z. I can easily find someone who can write that software for me because they'll just use an AI. I probably probably you won't do it yourself. Probably you'll still hire someone.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not obvious to me. Why do you say probably you won't do it yourself.
Speaker 2: There's you know, for example, you can easily build a website right using wicx or squarespace things, But most people who have a business, they hire someone to build a website for them. Why, Well, One, there's a lot of design that goes into it. It's not just a matter of getting it running right. And two there's a lot of back end behind it in terms of oh it's going to take payments, Oh it's gonna you know.
Speaker 1: But these things seem aliable so that.
Speaker 2: You know it could change. But there are many many things that you could in theory do for yourself.
Speaker 1: I would not want to be in the website building business right now. I don't know, right, does that not like I'm not sure you can definitely do design and back end work with whatever claude We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll say.
Speaker 2: The likelihood is there will be more entry. It will come in at lower cost, but more people will be able to do it, and you know, just like the Uber example, right, So I think they will be more demand for software because it's cheaper. There'll be more people who can produce good software at lower cost. It will be less specialized, and therefore I suspect it it'll be numerically large, but it won't be as well paid as the typical software job.
Speaker 1: So you'll have more software engineers and the media software engineer will make less than they make today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they won't. They won't have a degree in engineering, right.
Speaker 1: Right, they'll just be somebody who's good a viating.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you know, website design now is primarily done by people who are designers, not programmers.
Speaker 1: Yes, but design is is this is something that AI is getting getting better.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's right.
Speaker 1: So let what are some other domains. I mean you mentioned the law.
Speaker 2: Law is a good example, but again laws guilt.
Speaker 1: I could see law being more hollowing out of the middle though, right, like more, you know, you don't need to hire the junior lawyer. You don't need to hire or at least as many junior lawyers. You don't need to hire as many paralegals. You can have one lawyer with an army of agents.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's possible. But I think in many cases you want a a knowledgeable, reliable, trustworthy person working with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you the you, the CLO, the person who knows a lawyer. But you would like them to.
Speaker 3: Be efficient and cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so you'd like them to be able to write a contract for you in an hour rather than a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There are the sort of software first versions of this already. Right, there's legal Zoom, right has existed since before. It's right actually for kind of routine things like a will or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, So in many cases something is not legal unless it's done by a lawyer, Like if a lawyer doesn't sign it, it doesn't count.
Speaker 1: This is the guild part, right.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: But even so, you could say, well, look, you know more lawyers can offer some of these services at lower prices if they can do them effectively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you could have one lawyer with one hundred call them paralegals plus ais, and the lawyer is signing it and the paralegal is talking to the customer and marketing. Okay, But that.
Speaker 2: Even so, that would in many ways would be a better world. Right, legal services be cheaper, and there'd be this whole layer of people who are doing that intermediate role, right, as opposed to going to one very expensive person. And hopefully in the good scenario, there's a layer of people who are not just doing grunt work. They have some specialized knowledge, they're.
Speaker 3: Using the tools. Right often to use these tools, well, you have to know something.
Speaker 1: So this is an important point, right, because it's easy for me to imagine in the world where you actually don't have to know much to use the tool well, right, and that this sort of current moment we're in is just the you know, the foothills of real AI, and it'll look like some terrible scratchy TV broadcasts from ninety years ago in ten years, do you know what I mean? And so it seems totally likely that the AI could get good enough that you wouldn't need a paralegal like that the paralegal wouldn't add value because the AI would just figure out what you needed better than a paralegal would.
Speaker 3: Uh, I don't you know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to dismiss that possibility, but I do think in many cases, you're ultimately going to want another person involved in what you're doing, whether for its medical care, whether it's for law, whether design, and so you will want a person who has better tools and some specialized knowledge, but they will not be as expensive, they will be more productive. And let me say that, you know, and there's something else to bear in mind, right, many of these services that we're talking about about law, design, contracting, like you know, even like restaurants, right, they don't lend themselves to a superstar type model where one person does all the work, right, like in entertainment. Right, we have you know, Taylor swim Right, she can entertain two billion people at a time, and so it actually crowds out like there, it's hard you know, in movies, in music, right, the superstars crowd out everybody else. Right, And that didn't used to be true in a time when we didn't have broadcasts, we didn't have television.
Speaker 1: Right, there was an opera house in every face in your town.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, but this can't be true in medicine. It can't be true in law, It can't be true in restaurants. It can't be true in contracting, you know, in many of these services because they're congestible people, people have finite capacity. Right, there's no doctor who can serve two billion people simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Did you see the movie Her? You're describing the part right before big reveal in that movie.
Speaker 3: The I'm Meanna.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of hands on work, and there's a lot of a lot of communication. And I think, so someone's going to see the best doctor, someone's gonna see the median doctor, someone's gonna see the twenty fifth percentile doctor, right, and if those doctors have better tools and better you know, supports and by and decision supports they will be better doctors.
Speaker 1: Well should That part is the easy part, But I feel like that's neither here nor there with respect to what we're talking. No, no, no, that's.
Speaker 2: That's very critical because it means that you know, it means it just because some doctor has AI, right, that doctor does not crowd out all the other workers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean doctor is like a weird case that is not like most things, right, Like doctor, like you care about having a person in the room at least for now when it's a doctor, more than you care about it with almost anything else, right Like like with most legal stuff. I mean, unless it was some huge thing, as long as you, like everybody use the AI and you know it was fine, you would just use the AI, do you know what I mean? Like for sure at least in a lot of cases. Yes, some people want a person, but.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean, I'm following what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Somebody who's a teenager now, like they don't want to talk to a person, Like they would rather not talk to a person if they could. I know teenagers, Yeah, I mean live in my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think medicine is maybe is the strongest example.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, medicine is the strongest example. Yes, you want you want a person, you want a doctor or a nurse, and it's you're scared.
Speaker 2: And well, I mean, let's first let's remember that, you know, medicine is a huge part of employment. It's also about twenty percent of US employment healthcare, and it's growing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Health is sort of the ultimate luxury good. Right, It's the one thing that as you get more and more affluent, you want to spend more and more on, right, because you know, you don't want more and more food you can have. You you know, some people can have one hundred cars, but most people are good with two. But your longevity and your well being, right, those are kind of fundamental to everything else that you do. And so and you look at all these billionaire bros right whore you know, they have their blood boys and there you know, and they're spending infinite you know why are they doing that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Why is why is healthcare becoming a larger and larger part of expenditure over time?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Because we're getting more affluent h and so it matters more h And they're getting more effective.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, there was a one hundred years ago, it wasn't clear it was good for your health. Nego see a doctor, right, No.
Speaker 1: It quite possibly bad for you, exactly.
Speaker 2: Now there's just an amazing number of things and that number is expanded, so we will spend more on health services, it will be a larger part of employment. And of course we're aging, right, I mean, you know our population is getting older, so it's not at all crazy to think this will be remain And I don't care how much AI you throw in there. It's not going to shrink in terms of employment. It's going to be ill, provide more services, ideally at lower cost, and make it more accessible. It's not going to become small. So although it is a special case, it's not like a ledge cases. So it's a big special, big special special exactly.
Speaker 1: Will be back in just a minute. I want to go back to the macro idea. Right, So you have this argument, this story about how computers before AI essentially contributed to rising at a quality. Right, Like, if you were in the top whatever, twenty percent of the distribution, computers are good for you. If you were in the middle, they were bad for you.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: In short, how what's the macro story for AI.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to oversimplify. I think it's quite nuanced. It's possible that it will enable war competition in these high end services that we can spend so much money on, and that will could contribute to lowering inequality somewhat and sort of growing back a different middle, right, middle set of software engineers, a middle set of kitchen designers and contractors, you know, middle set of very skilled repair people who you know, there's a ton of knowledge and expertise involved. It's not all you know comes from college degrees, right, people who are in the trades, who do electrical work, who do plumbing, who do you know construction?
Speaker 1: I mean people the trades have been doing pretty well, right, exactly. I avoided this hollowing out of the middle because a computer can't whatever, fix your fix the wiring in your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely not. That's right, And I think AI can actually be helpful, and we already see examples of this, right, you know, you can solve a harder problem. So that would create a better a better middle, a different middle. It wouldn't be the same middle, and so it's somewhat expertise leveling.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It creates competition where we desperately need it and creates opportunity for people who have appropriate skills foundational expertise. Right, it's got to be got to know something about medicine. You gotta know something about the trades, You got to know something about the law, and you need to know something about software.
Speaker 3: But maybe not as much. Right. You could imagine we have a.
Speaker 2: Four year you know, healthcare degree, right where you learn a bunch of stuff and then you're ready to do a lot of services, a lot of health services.
Speaker 3: So that would be that would be.
Speaker 2: A world where there's more opportunity for middle skilled workers and lower prices, and so that would have less inequality. But I want to say that even if that's true my scenario and there's less, there's gonna be a ton of disruption, right, because we're talking about expertise and sometimes being vacated.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you're a medical transcriptionist, that job is almost gone.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you're a language translator, some will remain and they'll be highly highly skilled, right, but there'll be few of them. I'm very worried about people who work in call centers, right, you know, there's several million of them. It's very disruptive psychically damaging, economically scarring for people to have their expertise suddenly devalued. The thing that you know how to do. For most most people are doing the best paid thing they can do. Not everybody, right, some people are podcasting, but out our professors, right, many professors, yes, could you know.
Speaker 3: There are higher paying things they could do. They love what they do.
Speaker 2: So most people are doing you know, they don't have that luxury, right, They're doing the job that pays them the best income they can get. And if that work becomes less valuable, there's not an equally good job, right, They're gonna have to conness like WHI is loss of manufacturing work so devastating makings. It's often specialized work that you know is relatively highly paid, and the alternative work for someone with that education, you know, it's not going to be as good. So there's gonna be a lot of change, and I expect AI to devalue some forms of expertise really rapidly. Others will become more valuable, and it's not the same people who are on the upside and downsid You could say the average is great, but like no one experiences the average, And so even if you say, oh, yeah, that could be a better world. It's like, yeah, but we don't get to that world overnight, and there's a lot of change that happens along the way, and we should be investing and preparing for that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that, I mean, and that we can be like there's the policy WII and then there's like I'm some guy, what should I do? So, like what do we do on both of those levels?
Speaker 2: Let's start with the policy week? Yeah, okay, So there are three buckets of things that I think are very important. One of them is to help people transition between jobs. So the first of those is wage insurance. Wage insurance is like you're working a manufacturing job. You're making fifty thousand dollars a year, twenty five dollars an hour. You lose that job and you know manufacturing is going down. There's non an equivalent job, and the next job you can get is fifteen bucks an hour, thirty thousand dollars a year, and you say, I'm not gonna take that job.
Speaker 3: That's like beneath my digity, and so you.
Speaker 2: Don't, and then you spend a long time looking and that you know it has its own costs, and people the longer they're at a laborports, they're harder, they find Again, so wage Insurance says, hey, you're like, we understand that we're gonna make up half the difference between your twenty five dollars hour job and your fifteen dollar an hour job up to a finite amount of time, up to two years, up to eight thousand dollars total. And we're not telling you stay in a low wage job forever. By all means get a better job, and so. And we have evidence on it, not enough as much as we want. But during the twenty tens, right as part of the Trade Adjestment Act, there was an experiment done with wage insurance. The result of this policy experiment was it got people back to work faster, and it was so effective that it paid for itself, in other words, by the reductions in unemployment insurance payments and the increase in tax revenue from people working. It was self funding. Now, that's on a limited base of evidences. Were just placed manufacturing workers, they were older. But there are now major pilot studies underway working with states. I'm you know, more details will be revealed soon. They're quite expensive and they're you know, they're funded to try this at a larger scale, so wage insurance.
Speaker 1: This is one idea.
Speaker 2: And I'll call it's a no regrets idea in the sense that we won't be sorry we did it even if there isn't a jobs apocalypse.
Speaker 3: Right, It's a good idea. It was a good idea twenty years ago. It's a good idea now. It'll still be a good idea.
Speaker 2: And the idea is people are making transitions, and those transitions are frictional, they're costly, it's psychically damaging, and when people are out of work for a long time that has its own costs. You would like to facilitate them going back to work, even while they continue to search.
Speaker 1: And like, I feel like subsidizing work, essentially paying people to work it politically it feels good. It does, and frankly for the people like that. I mean, work is valuable in our society, and like, you can feel different ways about that, but I basically feel good about that, and like subsidizing people that work seems good to me, frankly.
Speaker 2: And I think that fits with the American psyche right. Our political system is very hostile towards people who are not working. Right, If you're not working and you're not a kid, and you're not elderly, what.
Speaker 3: Is wrong with you? Right, is what is the kind of message?
Speaker 2: That's why you're constantly we're always putting these work requirements.
Speaker 1: And I mean you're not making a normative statement. Just to be clear, you're describing the sort of political vibes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, clearly, No, no, I do not. I'm not I'm not endorsed that view at all.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that that appears to be the perspective of the politicians, right, That's why they said, oh, you can't get you know, snap, unless you're working, you can't get medical. You know, they're constantly trying to condition things on work. So this says it says, okay, like this is about supporting.
Speaker 3: People to work. Okay, that's one thing one okay.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Two is we need to do retraining at scale much more effectively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, retraining seems like it never worked.
Speaker 2: Okay, See that's what everybody says. But in fact that's kind of based on old wisdom.
Speaker 3: We now know much.
Speaker 1: More about ai really good at retraining.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we don't know that, but we do know of really effective training programs. Now, they're small.
Speaker 3: So like Project.
Speaker 2: Quest you're a Jewish vocational services goodwill there what are called sexual training programs. They train people for specific occupations and activities. Right, so construction, it could be a medical technical, it could be diesel repair, et cetera. But we don't know how to scale those at a very large scale. So what folks are working on now is trying to evaluate those things in real time using big data without experiments, and so you can actually measure the incremental earnings that are coming out of these programs and then recycle some of that incremental revenue to feedback into these programs.
Speaker 3: And we because we.
Speaker 2: Need to have a phollanx of options available to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I mean that one. Maybe I just am out of date on it, but you know, like your own work on the effect of competition from China on you know, workers in the US in the first part of the century, Like, it's interesting to me that you found more recently that like the towns that were really impacted by that, the towns have come back, right to some extent, right, but the specific workers who were displaced have not, but that we did.
Speaker 2: Nothing to retrain them, right, I mean there was no policy in place, Right.
Speaker 1: So you think it's a policy. You think you think a policy could have helped the person who was somewhat fifty to my approximate age, someone got laid off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, I mean it's not a panacea, but it's something. And you know, other countries do this much more effectively than we do, right, you know Denmark.
Speaker 1: Right, I was afraid you were going to say Denmark, it's always dead Mark.
Speaker 3: I know, I know everyone.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, don't tell me about Scandinavia, like it's not a real places.
Speaker 1: Doesn't map to the US.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I agree, so city, I think that's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: We can't do the Danish system, but it's an existence proof of you can do it. Well, right, they're affected, they can they can do it, Yell, it can be right. So that's why my main, second major policy is to send all unemployed workers to Denmark where they can be reattrained.
Speaker 1: I just think that's going to have an incredible safety net and swim in the harbor and co. Exactly, it's gonna what's number three?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Number three is what I call universal basic capital. Other people call it that as well. So let me just same shate universal basic income. It's a notion that you know, whether you're working or not, we just write you check every month from the largest.
Speaker 3: Of the tech bros. Or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think the political economy of that is viable for the same reason we just had the conversation about we don't like to as a country. We're just not supportive of people who are not working, or we don't believe even unconditional transfers. So universal basic capital is a little different idea. It says, look, at the time you were born, we're going to give you an endowment of capital.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be a lot, a couple of that you can call.
Speaker 1: Them because capital means stock stock and we just say stock, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Call them Trump accounts, right, which is what exists already, right, Yeah, And it's a it's an asset you can you know, it's you can't spend it until you're of age.
Speaker 1: You so like, just just to be a little more specific, the notion is like the government will buy whatever a fund, an ETF, a mutual fund that tracks the S and P five hundred. The ob a great way to give one thousand dollars to every baby basically, and you now own a thousand dollars of S and P five hundred stock and you can't touch it till you're eighteen. Is that what you're thinking? Exactly?
Speaker 2: And you can invest in it further, right, you just like you can you have tax advantage for one K savings, right, you have.
Speaker 1: To like a five to nine like a college savings stock or something exactly.
Speaker 3: So, like, what what is the purpose of this? It does? It does three things.
Speaker 2: One is it it diversifies people, right, So most people, you know, most people's lifetime income is bound up in the value of their skill and expertise. And that's it's it's always vulnerable, it's always risky.
Speaker 1: It's labor. Most most people make most of their money from working.
Speaker 2: Exactly from the right, you're saying, it's always that's it's always risky to have all your eggs in one basket, right, especially if you know you do something specialized and all of a sudden that thing becomes obsolete.
Speaker 3: That's really risky.
Speaker 2: So one, is it gives you It's not it's by no means a complete diveristication start, but it's a start, right, And especially that's one thing. Two if we think we're entering a world where capital is going to rise in value relative to labor, right, that will be less than you especially want to have people have money in capital, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, meaning if if more of the national income is going to go to companies are the owners of shares of stocks, and less is going to go to labor, right, the two places that can go, then you want more people to own stock, if you want everybody to prosperate.
Speaker 3: It, exactly, that's right.
Speaker 2: And you know labor is you know, everyone is born in you know the good scenario with one worker themselves, right, who work for them.
Speaker 3: But capital is not like that, right.
Speaker 1: Right, some people are born with a lot and most people are.
Speaker 2: Born people born and zero that's right. And the third thing it does is universal based capital. Again, is it gives them an ownership stake, almost like a voting stake in the economy.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I mean most most companies, you have a voting voting rights if you're on stock, although not all.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And so if you know, if you're I'm very worried about a society where more people are seen as claimants without being seen as contributors.
Speaker 1: So claimant rather than contributor. That's the universal basic income. That's the world where's the machines take our jobs and people just get a check every month or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't morally oppose that, let me be clearer. I just don't think it's our I don't think our body politic tolerates it.
Speaker 1: Yes well, and are like our structures of meaning and of value are not well set up.
Speaker 3: That I also agree with. That's even secondary point.
Speaker 2: So that's so University of the Capital says, you know again, it's a very small step in the way.
Speaker 1: It says.
Speaker 2: Look everyone, now, hey, I'm not just a claimant. I'm a contributor. I own part of the capital.
Speaker 1: And in this universe, is the government just buying shares in the in stock and everything and giving it to people.
Speaker 3: Sure, but it's not that hard to do.
Speaker 2: Like, there's only about four million babies born a year in the United States, right, so if you had to write them each a check for a thousand dollars, that's four billion bucks, right, That's less than we spend on You know, I don't know anything you can anything, any bomb you can drop, so it's not.
Speaker 1: But I means, so one thousand dollars, I suppose compounding it becomes non.
Speaker 3: True, right, and you can do more than that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You could even say to billionaire and say, hey, you know what, here's a tax advantage way that you could donate to the public. Take your shares and just throw them into the baby bond fund and they will be destribed.
Speaker 1: That's nice, right, Yeah, that's interesting. I mean it's sort of a distributed sovereign wealth fund. Right, it's sort of rhymes with a sovereign wealth fund.
Speaker 2: That's that's exactly exactly what it is. Exactly what it is, but a sovereign wealth fund. Right, you don't get to choose your own investments. You can't say I need to take it out today.
Speaker 1: No, it's not yours in the way, that's what you're proposing.
Speaker 2: So you know, and again, none of these policies, the three I'm talking about, you know, uh, wage insurance, you know, modernized.
Speaker 1: Training, they're small ish, right, They're they're small issues, that's right.
Speaker 2: None of them is that, you know, and I think we need big you know, we face big challenges. These are around the edges. But they're all what I call no regrets policies. Right, we won't be sorry we did them. Even if the worst doesn't.
Speaker 3: Come to pass.
Speaker 2: These are things that are just you know, they are wise in terms of helping people make transitions and giving people diversification. You know, in the good scenario, right, if AI, if we use it, well, we're going to become more affluent. Right, but that doesn't mean we're going to have that will be well shared.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: We need a society which says, look, if there's gonna be an AI dividend, meaning we become more productive, we want to make sure that people are brought along, right, that if you if you're if your expertise becomes devalued, that there's new ways to train that get you back in the labor market, that your portfolio, your income sources are more diversified. You know, people you know, the science fiction writer Ted Shang, you know, said look, when you know people are saying, oh, you know, people are scared of automation. They're scared of machines. They're not scared of automations, they're scared of capitalism. Right, They're scared of their work will be automated and there'll be nothing left for them to get they won't get paid.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's not that people are opposed to higher productivity or you know, things being more convenient.
Speaker 3: They're opposed to losing their livelihoods. Right, And AI could right produce.
Speaker 2: A lot of higher productivity and a lot of you know, convenience automation, but put a lot of people out of work, at least temporarily during the transition.
Speaker 3: Right. So, no wonder people are afraid of it. Right, No wonder people are opposed. No wonder people are angry about data centers. They don't trust our.
Speaker 2: Social and political systems to ensure them and make sure they're brought along. So it's very understandable.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I would like to take the edge off of some of that, Right, I would like to have policies that help support the challenges you help people through those challenging things that are some of them are likely to ahead even in the good scenarios.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning ground. Let's finish with the lighting rounds. Okay, what's the most peril you've ever been in on a sailboat?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: I went, I went, I took my I went sailing during a hurricane.
Speaker 1: Bad idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got knocked over six times on purpose. Well, I know, I tried to stay upright.
Speaker 1: No, no, did you go sailing at a hurricane?
Speaker 2: I went sailing and Hurricane Lee a couple of years ago in New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: On a couple of years ago. I was gonna ask if you were fourteen.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I was fifty nine. But I have an ultra light RSA. It's like a laser, and it's super fast and it's very competent even in high winds, and I really want to try it out.
Speaker 3: It was small lake.
Speaker 2: People were like my neighbors were all there with the cameras. I assume that if I started to drown, they would have, uh, I don't know, sent the footage to see exactly exactly. So, yeah, that was perilous.
Speaker 3: That was That was exciting.
Speaker 1: And did you capsize six times?
Speaker 3: Six times?
Speaker 1: Six times?
Speaker 3: Was exhausting. It was completely exhausting.
Speaker 1: It's like a little boat and you can kind of lean and ride it is now you have to climb.
Speaker 3: On the daggerboard and pull it up and then throw.
Speaker 2: You have to do what's called the walrusk, where you'd like sort of throw yourself out of the water into the center of the boat.
Speaker 3: Otherwise it capsize back on you. So that was fun.
Speaker 1: What's it like teaching college students in the age of AI at the dawn of AI?
Speaker 2: So the students I teach a MIT students and they're it's a great So.
Speaker 1: They're really good at prompt They're really good, they're very.
Speaker 2: There, they're super motivated. It's a it's a real luxury. So I don't worry that they great.
Speaker 1: It's perhaps never been a better moment to be an MIT student than right and you.
Speaker 2: Were being an MIT per I don't worry that they're going to take all the shortcuts and not learn anything. They're super hard working, so I feel like they're just power to.
Speaker 1: They're building the tools for everyone else to take the shortcuts and not learn anything, and.
Speaker 2: They know how to use the tools well, right, So I feel like I can push them harder and say, go figure this out, right.
Speaker 1: Well, are you building AI into your classes or just assume they're going to use AI to figure things out? And that's good.
Speaker 2: I my curriculum assumes they're using A like for example, I've downweighted out of class exams. Right, I still get problem sets and they're hard, but they don't count as much. You have to do it on exams or on your papers. Right, So I expect they're using it, but they know that eventually they will have to demonstrate the knowledge. Right.
Speaker 3: But I can throw the harder stuff with them, say you'll solve this.
Speaker 2: I can also say, hey, this can't be as badly written as it is right now because you have better tools, so go do it again. And of course when I building my lectures, I can incorporate new material more quickly because I can build slides and you know, master stuff faster myself.
Speaker 1: Most peril you've ever been in on a motorcycle.
Speaker 3: But you're always in parallel on a motorcycle.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is the correct answer. Anything else we should talk about.
Speaker 2: The uh, you know, I will say, I mean, just like you know, I think a lot of young people are extremely anxious about AI UH and understand I understand why. But I also think they are the group that's gonna use it well better than the rest of us and figure out what to do with it. And so there's never been a technology that's made old people great at the at the cost of young people that I'm aware of. Right, Almost all new technologies are developed and pioneered and ultimately kind of figured out by younger generation that figures out what to do with it. And so I think, you know, businesses are now looking very hard to find, like you know, kind of AI native kids, right, And so I think there's a lot of risk. I understand the uncertainty and the fear. I don't want to disminish that, but I also think there's opportunity.
Speaker 1: David Otter is a labor economist at MIT. Please let us know what you think of the show, which you want to hear more of, which you want to hear less of particular guest ideas. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot fm. I read all the emails. You can also find me on x rom LinkedIn.
Speaker 3: Really do appreciate all the messages that we get.
Speaker 1: Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang and Trina Menino. It was engineered by Hans Dale Sheet and edited by Lydia Jan Kott. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and we'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Problem.