Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation, and for the final time here in twenty twenty six, Welcome to the campus of Saint Vincent College. In a wet and soggy but now the sunshine coming out of the es I saw of a sudden letro Pennsylvania. Matt and I both look like dogs that just jumped into the swimming pool as we got crushed walking from the cafeteria to the show here. But now the skies are blue and the sun is shining, and maybe, Matt, we should have just waited a few minutes longer. But we are with you. Here for the next three hours. Matt. It is our final show from campus. Here is part of our training camp coverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's been awesome and quick funny story. Like the hotel we say that is honestly like a three minute ride. You can basically see it from here. You know, you could walk there if you wanted to. So I get in my car to come over. Practice was canceled. I guess we probably should have lead with that. The final practice was did never happen. So I didn't leave my room until I was gonna meet you in the cafeteria at like two o'clock and we're going on the air three. So I got all my bags and I'm walking to the car and I'm like, all right, here we go, last day checked out. Get in the car, turn it on, and the sky just opens up so much. So I'm driving over. I'm like, oh man, I don't have an umbrella. It's gonna be a long walk to the cafeteria. Part cars close to the cafeteria as I possibly can hit, put it in park, and it just stopped. I'm like, this is my day.
Speaker 2: I got to get some lottery right tapped.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, this is my day. This is unbelievable. It rained for exactly three minutes my trip, Matt. When we get when we and then we came out of there and we got our hair.
Speaker 2: We looked like we just jumped out of the swimming pool. You need to stop at the casino on Route thirty there on our way out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they brought me back to reality with the walk over here lots a couple of.
Speaker 2: Times that that is funny, and it is. Uh, it's been a weird it's been.
Speaker 3: A weird week.
Speaker 2: It's been a weird camp. It's been a weird day in terms of the weather. Like we said, sun is shining. Actually the skies are.
Speaker 3: Blue right now. Canceled practice and man, it.
Speaker 2: Rained a lot yesterday, rained, overnight, rained this morning because of that practice closed, uh and canceled. Actually is it wasn't even like a close to the public type thing.
Speaker 3: It was right right right.
Speaker 2: Practice was canceled for the day people. And so Matt, it's usually a quiet campus by the time you and I get to our last show here as we are kind of the caboose of this whole thing. But it's even quieter today than it typically is with no fans. I know a lot of the players and coaches are already out. Licteria closed early. Poor Matt didn't get a full schmugesborg a lunch like myself and Ed Troop did.
Speaker 3: I just found anything I could scavenge while they were cleaning up. Basically had ice cream for lunch.
Speaker 2: Ice cream and a cheeseburger. Man, if that ain't that's like every seventeen year old's dream bunch right there, just living living the dream out here baby as Yeah, so a different day today, a little anti climactic and kind of the way that the camp rounded out, But hey, you can control what you can control, and the weather is certainly not something that you can control. You just got to roll with the punches with that, Matt. We've got a lot of ground to cover today as we've got a bonus hour, We've got a three hour show, our last three hour show for a little while, and and of course we're gonna get to your tweets. We do have a lot of fun stuff planned for you, including an idea that Matt kind of came up with last night slash this morning. Yeah, and I think is a really fun one for us to start this first hour of the program today, Matt, and that is quite simply fifty three man initial roster for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: But we haven't done it yet. This isn't our final answer. We got time, we'll do.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Seemed like a monumental day to do it.
Speaker 2: But you said, let's try and piece together the Steelers fifty three man roster with.
Speaker 3: Four quartermack with four quarterbacks. So now that's a much bigger conversation, and I don't want to have it right now. I'm just gonna say and chat with Mike Pursudo last night. I've chatted with a lot of folks that do what we do. Jerry du Lack's been pushing for this. It's a real possibility since day one of training camp. I don't think any of the quarterbacks have shown poorly. So instead of fighting should we keep four or not, I'm just saying we're keeping four and what does it look like? Because we got a tweet about it saying what position would get short cut? And I don't want to do a two minute answer on that. In the last segment during Twitter time, I'm like, let's figure it out where what what can we do to make that work? Now? One caveat that I ninety percent understand you can finagel things in terms of you put someone on your practice like you can put Travis Homer on your practice squad and you could call them up twice. I think it is. And then you got to make a decision. So you can do things like that, the kind of buy time, you know, Bruner or you know, but they got to, you know, make sure they get up on the practice squad first of all. But you can finagel things your roster a little more than the old days, like these are the fifty three and these are all I have to deal with. But I just thought it be fun, like is it feasible would the roster be a disaster.
Speaker 2: Or just where you're cutting from? What position group?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, can weather it? You know? Yes?
Speaker 2: Now, so I think a couple of things that we can establish here right off the jump, and if it's okay with you, we'll kind of with the parameter of this being you're keeping four quarterbacks on the roster, yeah, I figure we go ahead and start on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: Then yes, And really we're gonna come up with forty six names because there's three specialists are making the team.
Speaker 2: That's funny you say that literally if you look at my piece of paper here, because.
Speaker 3: I look over so.
Speaker 2: I have four quarterbacks. I have three teams. Okay, that means that means Chris Boswell, Cam Johnson and Christian Kots even talk about don't even talk about Hi.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have.
Speaker 2: Thirty seconds of our life. You can have wasted talking about three teamers. You're gonna have four quarterbacks. That puts us a seven already, Matt. Let's talk running backs. How many are we gonna keep? And you came up with this.
Speaker 3: Just to make it fun. Let's jot down every name that has a chance, and then we'll have Then we'll come back and maybe in the second segment and fight about who doesn't make it. You know what I mean? Like, are there? Okay, let's start with thrownning backs.
Speaker 2: Let's start runing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Warren and Dowell absolutely boom boom to me, non locks are everybody else? Yes? But to me, Homer would be the third.
Speaker 2: I agree, and then Lou Nichols fourth.
Speaker 3: I think I think Caleb has no chance.
Speaker 2: I probably put Hide and Rek at five and Caleb at six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I always still don't think of Hide and Rake as a running back.
Speaker 2: But that's where they've got him.
Speaker 3: So I think that has to probably be three.
Speaker 2: I think it's three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I think that's the way to do it.
Speaker 2: And again, we could kind of argue about how do they consider Homer, But I think as of now, I think it's three, and I.
Speaker 3: Think it would be protector.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's making the team.
Speaker 3: He's making the team. You need him on game day. I mean again, maybe you could.
Speaker 2: Some fun angling like you talked about by a.
Speaker 3: Couple of weeks and while you're trying to dangle Caleb Johnson or something like that, or if Warren has a bad knee, maybe you try that Homer trick so that Nichols can be active for two weeks until he's ready here you know, like that. Those are why the rules exist. But I think three true running backs and a full back. You aback written down.
Speaker 2: Oh you're right, I was forgetting something.
Speaker 3: You're right. Last, they have a fullback and they are going to keep one, Yes they are. So I think it's also safe to say tight ends are next on your list. That enter next three. Three. Yeah, I think Tanyan's that third.
Speaker 2: I think he is too, and I really don't know who else is truly in the equation.
Speaker 3: I've heard some buzz about Bell.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Jaem Bell would be probably the fourth one dimension, but it's it feels like Tanyan, especially by that preseason game of course, is clearly that third guy, you know, one of our camp darlings of past JJ Gallbreath no longer here. Yeah, I mean maybe again, maybe Bell can still have something to say in this process. But they're going to keep three.
Speaker 3: They're going to keep three, and we don't even have to know the names one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Right, we know two? Three? Yeah, Tanyan certainly, I think.
Speaker 3: He's like home where he's a ninety percent.
Speaker 2: I would say that's I would say that that's about right now.
Speaker 3: Another note, but it doesn't change our numbers. Maybe the Browns or some bad team cuts an older running back or tight end just to keep a young guy, and you say I'll take him over Tanya and her Homer. Okay, but your numbers are still the same.
Speaker 2: Yes, that then that's that's the important kicker there. Wide receivers interesting, Matt.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have a set number there that we have to absolutely stand by.
Speaker 2: DK Metcalf Michael Pittman junior Bernard Roman Wilson I still think is pretty harm and then we put Chronic in Wigian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's six. I wish this sounds wrong because it's I have no problem with Wigen, but he's gonna make the team. He's a FOURTHROND pick and he's your top returner. But I wish you could combine him and Roman Wilson, you know what I mean, Like I wish Roman Wilson was already a great returner. So you could only keep five because Weegen and Scronic have to be active on game day, which means Roman won't be mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But unless they have six active on game.
Speaker 3: Day, I guess that's possible, possible, But I.
Speaker 2: Think they're gonna keep sick. I think they're gonna keep six regardless. You are right, though, man yourself anywhere. Remember we have an extra quarterback, right, That's where eventually somewhere we're gonna have to have a rubber meets right.
Speaker 3: We'red fifty four here, so but we.
Speaker 2: Can always we can always walk this back too and just have to. Yeah, I think we will.
Speaker 3: Some of the sounds easy until you do the math and you come up with fifty five or fifty four.
Speaker 2: So what we have left for the offense here is offensive line Matt Okay, Yes, the starting five as currently constituted.
Speaker 3: Called Cook the five I am. Yes, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Say Futanu, McCormick, Frasier, Anderson Cook. Those are five, MAXI Hana is six.
Speaker 3: Hopefully that's not like an ir situation or that too would right.
Speaker 2: I know, because because Mike McCarthy said not he doesn't see Max playing this week against the Jets. He did say that earlier today. We'll get to that more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure we'll talk on I don't love.
Speaker 2: It starting five, Max six, Dunker. I mean we could say Hoffman seven, Dunker eight, Broderick, Broderick nine.
Speaker 3: I think McCollum's a no. I think every other O lineman's a no. So you have four tackles, yes, five interior guys, Yes, two rookies.
Speaker 2: Could you see a scenario where they only keep eight and no Broderick only if.
Speaker 3: He could trade him. That's kind of what I was thinking with Roman.
Speaker 2: I think nine's the right number to put for now for offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Okay, super quick, Since we disfinished offense of the names We basically didn't chisel in, but we wrote in pen literally after you said, know the pen dudes you could trade because I don't want to cut any of these dudes we talked about. But if you give me a pick, okay, I need a roster spot.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think there's any at wide receiver.
Speaker 3: I think Rudolph Broderick are your only tradeable assets. No one's gonna give you anything for Roman right now.
Speaker 2: No one's gonna give anything for Roman. And you would have other tradable assets, but they're not gonna be guys that you would want to like, you know, at this point trading Hoffman. At this point, you just signed him and drafted those guys, drafted and signed those two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean and Jones and Rudolph for both three agents. After the year, conceivably somebody might offer you a pick that you would consider for one of those guys. I don't think Romans in that mix because he's two years removed out of college. I'd have to light up the preseason.
Speaker 2: Completely agree, completely agree.
Speaker 3: But I like Roman more and more, but he's kind of messing us up because if he's not active on game day. Between them and Bernard, and he's not a he's not a return guy, and he's not a special teamer. He's been better, but like of all the dudes we've penciled in here, I hate to say it, but he's the one that's maybe the most useless, just in term of constructing a game day.
Speaker 2: Even you could, you could, you could see a scenario where Broderick would become more needed, but I would think it would be one.
Speaker 3: Roderick, you're starting right tackle. Hey, I mean, I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: I guess that's not I guess that's not inconceivable at this point.
Speaker 3: I mean, as it stands here in the last day of camp, he's gonna be taking snaps with the ones. I bet the next time they get together, or maybe even be this. I mean, I don't think he's gonna start in the game, but I bet he'll be quick off the bench again.
Speaker 2: And we can see a lot of him on the right side potentially in this preseason game Friday night against that you think you can.
Speaker 3: Afford to move on from him, I mean, you have to blow me away.
Speaker 2: So that's twenty six offensive rostered players.
Speaker 3: Matt including specially not including specially.
Speaker 2: So we're at twenty we're at twenty nine. Yeah, you're twenty nine here already. Yes, and we have not even discussed the defense. So let's take a break. Let's table this for now. We're gonna flip the other side of the football defense. And again, eventually, at some point we're gonna have to get lighter in a position group maybe somewhere. Maybe we'll revisit something with the wide receivers or the offensive line. But you have to stay with us to find out if.
Speaker 3: He cutschronic man, I think he's pretty valuable.
Speaker 2: You'd have to really have some other guys emerge as special teams deep right.
Speaker 3: And there to We'll talk about those guys next segment.
Speaker 2: You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. Wes Yuler, Matt Williamson. I'm liking this idea that Matt came up with to start the show today.
Speaker 3: Through it. It's harder than you think.
Speaker 2: It always it always is, it always is Williamson, We're just getting started. You know where to get at us if you want to chime in on this conversation. It is the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage OLP DOT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Calucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh Game for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and buy iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build.
Speaker 2: It back on campus. For our final Saint Vincent College edition of The Drive, Matt I was laughing this morning when Mike McCarthy spoke to close down Camp. We'll bring you some of that audio at some point in the show to yeah as well, he did the inser thing that you and I were talking about a couple days ago.
Speaker 3: He throws messes on the end.
Speaker 2: He said, I just want to say everyone here at Saint Vincent's has been a plus.
Speaker 3: Ah time.
Speaker 2: You know it's hilarious. Is then I went and I was on NFL dot com and I was reading like their training Camp round up and they quoted Mike McCarthy in there, and then their quote they actually typed out Saint Vincent's in the quote. I'm like, oh, yeah, I mean, that's what you gotta do because that's what he said.
Speaker 3: But I'll even text like going back to Saint Viz to my parents and there's no or my family or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get what you're saying, Saint these Yeah, but it is Saint Vincent College here, correct.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was just laughing at that. It was like Mike McCarthy with the little the little drive inside joke of putting an S on the end of everything that we that we do in western Pennsylvania. And like I told you, I think that's a Pennsylvania thing. I think it is in general because I've got relatives in the central part of the state. My wife is from the eastern part of the state, and they all they all do it as well too. Matt. We are in the middle of an exercise here where we are trying to predict the Steelers fifty three man roster under the premise of the team keeping four quarterbacks and where you might have to pinch from.
Speaker 3: Somewhere else get crowded quick.
Speaker 2: We did the offense to start the show, twenty six guys on offense that we had in our initial number, again subject to change here before.
Speaker 3: We close this exercise down have to make a cut.
Speaker 2: And then of course you assume three special teamers kicker, punter, and long snapper as always. That puts us at twenty nine already, which would give us twenty four spots for.
Speaker 3: The for the defense entire defense.
Speaker 2: Which I guess, hey, when you look at the split offense, twenty six defense twenty four wouldn't be that far off. But let's see if.
Speaker 3: That's how the little leaning a little.
Speaker 2: See how that actually plays out here, Matt. Can we start on the defensive line to again, and this does not include ed Rusher, So this doesn't include DJ and high Smith and you know herbig and on. We're just the big people with their with their hands into trenches.
Speaker 3: The minimum is six, and they have kept six at times over the years as a true three to four defense, and back then they didn't play as much nickel with only two of these guys on the field either, So six was not a crazy number, you know, back in the day at Lobau times. I think seven is almost mandatory though, considering the players available, and frankly, there's a about eight players I don't want to get rid of. Yeah, and that's no way you can take keep eight. But there's eight names I would hate to see Goup.
Speaker 2: Cam Hayward, Derek Harmon, Keanu Benton y a Black d Day. That's five locks. I think Rubio is as well too. I know a sixth round pick isn't guaranteed to make the roster like a third or fourth round pick, but everything that we've heard and seen and he is a draft pick rookie, I think he's six. And then it comes down to do you keep a seventh? That is Autumn Wayo, that is Dean Lowry, that is someone along those lines.
Speaker 3: Ottawayo would be my choice.
Speaker 2: I think, I actually I don't think I know that he would be. If we're keeping seven, he would be the seventh. He'd be the seventh.
Speaker 3: So let's put seven down.
Speaker 2: And maybe this is where we come back and too heavy.
Speaker 3: I hope not.
Speaker 2: But let's let's put seven down for now. And again though we I think at some point we're gonna have to revisit one of these position groups and make a tough decision. That's the whole point of this exercise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right, right, edge rushers.
Speaker 2: I think this one's pretty simple, right, TJ. Hi Smith herbig and then one other.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's probably the number is going to be four.
Speaker 2: It's probably still Jack Sawyer's probably job. But I also think Jamin Davis, if he continues to do what he does over two more games, could certainly make it a conversation. But it's going to be four.
Speaker 3: Right, It's gonna be four. You can't keep both. They can battle it out for that last spot, but you can't keep us. Has to be.
Speaker 2: Premise of how we're doing this, sexers right exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you had three quarterbacks Davis is intriguing enough, we'll keep them, maybe, you know.
Speaker 2: But right now we're gonna go with four for edge. So seven defensive linemen, four edge rushers, eleven guys there total at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Let's go to corner.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I know that's not the order. My brand doesn't work that way either, but I kind of have a hunch that if we get light. It has to almost come it off the ball linebacker or safety.
Speaker 2: Even more so than going down to six at defensive line.
Speaker 3: Possibly, I'm talking about remaining things. Okay, okay, I think corner is an easy one, but it's a big number.
Speaker 2: Joey Porter, Junior, Kwon Brisker. Are we counting? Let's count Ramseys are sorry, not sorry, not Brisker. He's a safety. I was thinking, Ramsey, Yeah, yeah, do we want to count him as a corner?
Speaker 3: Yes? I think he's a nickel one. We'll call those guys.
Speaker 2: Going Ramsey, Porter, Dean Sante Samuel makes four, Brandon Eckles makes five.
Speaker 3: Makes it absolutely? So that's six six. I think that now again, could we get to the point where Eccles is still banged up enough to be on short term injured reserve? Absolutely, you could handle a month without Eccles. I mean, he's a good player, but he may not even be active on game dayut of these group, I mean, I think ever it would be the guy that ought to be. But as it stands now, I mean this could be true with d line too. You know, uh Ottawayo or one of those dudes could get a hangnail or have a legit injury, and he makes your decision a little easier. But as it stands now, assuming health, I think you have to keep six.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. That to me seems like the right number there.
Speaker 3: But this hurts you a little bit too, kind of like the Roman Wilson conversation, because of those six who were good special teamers, Like, there's not a Pierre in that group, right, you know, I mean Eccles is serviceable, but I'm not sure if he's one of your top two gunners. You're a little light on special teams, like keeping six corners, because there's usually if you're gonna keep six corners, one of them is pretty awesome special.
Speaker 2: Teams, right, right, right, Like Pierre was right, you want to go to safety next or line either linebacker. Let's let's stick with safety since kind of the secondary here we are obviously Deshaun Elliott and Jakwan Brisker I think are two locks. Yeah, and then Robert Spears Jennings a lock. I mean, I know he's a seventh round pick, but he's I think had a pretty good camp.
Speaker 3: I would say he's a ninety percenter.
Speaker 2: He was drafted by this staff, and.
Speaker 3: I think what's his face? They just signed.
Speaker 2: Jack Henderson.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, But I am I not thinking that they when they cut Savage, Yes.
Speaker 2: When they yes, when they cut Savage, who they brought in for him?
Speaker 3: He basically was a starter in the game. In my brain's not working.
Speaker 2: Round Jenkins right right, Yes, ye Jenkins.
Speaker 3: I think he's a ninety percenter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're leaning towards four. Its safety, you could live with three.
Speaker 3: I mean that sounds that sounds nuts.
Speaker 2: You could live with because of Ramsey, Ramsey's versatility.
Speaker 3: But I don't think they want him to play a lot of say I wish I knew those answers. So I think you've put four down when we do the math.
Speaker 2: I think that's again knowing where they would like to deploy Ramsey. Hey, that's one of those things that we really haven't had much conversation about now, right, we haven't seen Ramsey in this addition of training.
Speaker 3: Camp, and you've heard my my tinfoil hat theory is, I don't think they want the general public to know their Ramsey intentions. I think I think magically he's gonna come off pop when they go to the Southside. I just think he's a wild card. I think he's an answer out there that their opponents don't know yet.
Speaker 2: This happened now, Matt, if we want to do this in where well, I even shouldn't even frame it that way. I should just tell you right now, we have fifty guys on.
Speaker 3: Our roster, so we only have three spots.
Speaker 2: So we only have three spots at inside linebacker, or we got to cut a defensive lineman, we got to cut a offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: We got to cut get inside linebackers.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can keep three inside linebackers. No, Patrick, Queen, Peyton Wilson, Cole Holcom, Milandon Roberts.
Speaker 3: I think Bruner's in trouble.
Speaker 2: But again, though, then that gets back to where your core special teams guys that same conversation with.
Speaker 3: But so, I mean, even if they kept three quarterbacks, I think Bruner's in trouble because that gets you to fifty three with three quarterbacks. Like you said, we only got room for three dudes.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know that, you know they at least four linebackers.
Speaker 3: I think they can only keep four. No matter what. Now, the moment when we talked through.
Speaker 2: This under the under the kind of circumstances here. Yeah, so that may you.
Speaker 3: Could practice squad Brunner and bring them up twice, but that's only two out of seventeen days you get up.
Speaker 2: So if we're going four off all mypecial.
Speaker 3: Teamers, the special teamers are rough.
Speaker 2: Like, then you're definitely keeping Scratch.
Speaker 3: I was saying that too, like Scronic's pretty safe.
Speaker 2: Or does this exercise show that maybe if Carson Brunner proves that he can be as reliable as Chronic, that's where maybe one that's where you save your roster spot.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's one of the two or neither.
Speaker 2: If it's neither, then really, then where are your special teams guys coming from?
Speaker 3: Travis Homer Hummer and yeah, no one from. I mean that's what kills you with a wide receiver and a corner on game day. Almost have to be good special teamers.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean going to right quality special teamers.
Speaker 3: Like I don't some of these duders are just hard to comment, Like no, Akowski will be on special teams, but I don't know if he's good at it. Kolkom will be on special teams. But we're a little light.
Speaker 2: We're a little light, so we're what fifty four fifty four, So we could cut a defensive lineman Autumn Wayo, we could cut an offensive lineman Broderick. We could cut a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: I have a hard time cutting attack. That was the first round picked three years.
Speaker 2: We could cut a safety down to three safeties with the ability of Jalen Ramsey to to be your fourth and you know, break glass in case of emergency situations.
Speaker 3: So I think these are the names we would have to fight about and tweet us if you want. Guys Ottawayo absolutely who easily could find himself on the practice squad and you know doesn't mean he disappears off the planet, Spears Jennings. I think the other three, the three veteran safeties.
Speaker 2: I think they're saying, yes, you need at least three.
Speaker 3: And then why do I can't? Jenkins is a very good special teamer, so I was told a big reason they swapped him for Savage was because of special Let's not forget that part. So I think you're down to Ottawayo, Spears Jennings, both of whom would likely end up on your practice squad, or Roan Wilson or Scaronic or Chronic.
Speaker 2: You're keeping nine offensive lineman though, like, no, no conversation, I think because again, the only one realistically that you could cut would be Broderick Jones and happy and they just brought him in and not Jennings Dunker. They just drafted himly right.
Speaker 3: He's the only one. And the only way I consider not having Jones on the opening day roster is if Max was healthy and look great and I could get a pick for Jones. I'm not just cutting them. I'm just no way.
Speaker 2: Well, now, that's also another scenario of this is that Max is not ready for the start of the regular season, and so you carry eight offensive linemen to begin and then and then, like you said, you just kind of bide your time and you wait.
Speaker 3: And somebody will get hurt between that and now and you move them around. Yes, chances are that's how this will go down. When it's all said and done. We have two football games, a bunch of practices that there will be somebody we mentioned gets injured. You know, we're assuming health is one hundred percent, which it won't be. Never is. It never is, So opportunities will present themselves to stash a guy, whether it's a little shady or not. But chances are someone will have a legit injury absolutely like Kent will be on injury reserve. But he had no chance to make the team anyways because he was in maybe the seventh corner or eighth corner. So if it came down to a wide out Spears Jennings or out Aweyo, who gets the acts for you?
Speaker 2: Wide out Spears Jennings orwo Ottawaeyo is my first instinct, just because of how good the six in front of him are. Yeah, and I know I getting special teams contributions from him.
Speaker 3: True, there's something to work with there, but that you still probably get him on your practice squad. Chances are, Yeah, I really would like to keep seven. There's actually like eight defensive way. Yeah, I guess you could consider Rubio too, But I think Rubio is ahead of I.
Speaker 2: Think he is as well, just based off of just drafted by this staff. And yeah, a little bit younger in some of those things.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are a lot of snaps with only two big people on the defense. It's not always a three man front. Ottaway who probably would not be active on game day week one, and maybe Rubio wouldn't either. I mean, five's plenty usually for a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess it's him, I think.
Speaker 2: But then then you are heavier on the offensive side of the ball. You're twenty six verse twenty four. But it doesn't be great. It doesn't have to be a perfect twenty five twenty five spla.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't, it doesn't. I mean it is only one player difference from being twenty five twenty. It sounds like, oh, we got two more. Well, yeah you do. But if we kept one more, then we subtract from you know, then we're equal.
Speaker 2: It's not twenty eight and twenty two, right, right, right right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Interesting. I don't think you can keep five receivers. I mean, if they're gonna play a last year, you could.
Speaker 2: Less unless unless it's unless it's scronic that you're cutting and you keep the four plus week.
Speaker 3: I need five guys that can any four that can run.
Speaker 2: Round, four guys that I know can run routes.
Speaker 3: And hey, because you're fourth, he's one injury away from almost being a starter, because I still think they're gonna play a lot of eleven. So he's uncuttable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, so you gotta have four. You have to have your four best route runners yes, and as wide receivers yes, as of now ran and.
Speaker 3: We know who those four are. Yes, And hey, they're all safe.
Speaker 2: I think they're all safe. Thanks can change, but I think they're all safe.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's a a way I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I think Ramsey could play a lot of safety, sure could. But I also think Beers Jennings would end up on your practice squad and probably play snaps for you this year no matter what somehow as a call up or first injury. He's your first call. That's rough on him. He didn't really doing wrong, No, he didn't, you know, I mean, he's a success story at to this point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, a lot of these I mean a lot of these guys that you would love to, uh to keep around and continue, And that's what you have the practice squad for, obviously. But that's why these decisions are tough. That's why you get so many practices in preseason games and every snap matters, and everything is dissected and and and uh and peeled back and and really put under a microscope here for the these guys, and how the bottom of this roster shakes out and where uh, you know, you kind of want of a lot your roster spots too, in terms of all the different positions.
Speaker 3: So I do like Attuweo or Spears Jennings, but we decided Attuwayo is the guy getting the you're out. But who's more valuable in game day Autuwayo or Rudolph clearly Rudolph. Yeah, yeah, I mean, he's the difference winning a lot.
Speaker 2: Your best number two quarterback is more important than your seventh defensive.
Speaker 3: And who's more important to the organization Outawayo or Howard.
Speaker 2: Howard just because of the potential there of what he what he could you know, be a starting quirt.
Speaker 3: And I hadn't done this exercise in my head, but after doing it, it makes me think keeping four is smart.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not looking at it and saying, oh my goodness, that fourth quarterback is the difference between you know, this guy has to make the roster and the fourth quarterback.
Speaker 3: Is going to be the difference. Like I would hate for Howard to not be here next year, at least be at Latrope.
Speaker 2: Agreed with a caveat of depending on what we see from Drew Adler kind of the rest of the way here. Yeah, because if you and I get to September thirteen.
Speaker 3: Having an extra good young quarterbacks on problem, right, But if.
Speaker 2: We get to September thirteenth, then it's pretty clear, like, oh yeah, Drew. If one of these guys is going to be the future, it's going to be Drew, then I would be okay with Will Howard not being back here. I don't know if that's reasonable that that could be the case, you know, yeah, three weeks from now or four weeks from now, whenever that whenever that would be.
Speaker 3: But it's I just think Howard has more value to the organization with than a Spears Jennings.
Speaker 2: Or not a way, without a doubt. You can find those.
Speaker 3: Out draft one of them in the six year yea, and they'll be fair. Hey.
Speaker 2: You can find a lot of quarterbacks in the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah much any special. But if he's your next Rudolph for eight years as a backup, that's more valuable than a seventh round safety year. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Matt, We've got a Saint Vincent football practice getting ready to start in front of us over here on the far side field. How old are they, Matt? They are college kids, Saint Vincent College. You've got two of them at home. They are in the Okay teen to twenty two range.
Speaker 3: Usually no offense to Saints.
Speaker 2: That was really funny. I was like, I got the same vidom Matt's like, how old are they? What do you mean how old they are?
Speaker 3: They? Well, I guess they are wor Saint Vincent Jerseys. There's not a Saint Vincent High school in the area, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Matt. That one little middle linebacker looks like you might be about twenty seven years old.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, no offense to their football program, but they don't look like Georgia or Ohio State.
Speaker 2: It's Division III football.
Speaker 3: They look like junior high kids to be from here. In my eyes, that could use a little work, folks.
Speaker 2: That was my favorite moment of camp. Here comes they're not close by it, it comes the local college football team to practice.
Speaker 3: How old are those? I thought they might be junior high. That no one looks like the only even looks like alignment out there to be. Do they have anyone that's two hundred ninety pounds or bigger?
Speaker 2: That was the laugh I needed today. I tell you what fantastic.
Speaker 3: I hope they go undefeated. And they're awesome, but it's a little different than watching the football. We've been one of the best well sure, well I know, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they're one of the better, uh like Division three programs in this in this area. You look at the resources that they.
Speaker 3: Get, it doesn't shock me. And I'm rooting for partnership.
Speaker 2: I promise I'm gonna go get a Saint Vincent had on my way out.
Speaker 3: I'm not selling jeans here. It doesn't matter what they look like. They may all be speedsters and great players selling jeans, they don't look like the Georgia Bulldogs will take you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna send Matt down there to go scout these guys out.
Speaker 3: Might that's a good looking group. You know what bad eyes.
Speaker 2: Look like the Georgia Bulldogs. But maybe they could play in the Sun Belt. Come on, big shout out to the Saint Vincent Collegiate football team. They've probably been champion at the bit waiting to get out here. Oh probably, yeah, And so I think this might this might even be their first, uh first go at it. I think they have had some somet I think they practice at one of the local high schools for like a week before this that does ring a bell. We'll have some fun. We'll see if anything interesting happens in the in the Saint Vincent practice. In front of us is Matt and I roll along. We've got PLU need more to get to here on our final day on campus. It is the Drive West Ruler Matt Williamson. All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and raft House.
Speaker 2: Now, Matt, we got a tweet from Terry here who says the Saint Vincent College team may not be big, but I would take them and the points if they played.
Speaker 3: Wvu ha.
Speaker 2: Now you know, Terry, that's just a low blow. That's just uncalled for. It's a glorious Monday here. Matt and I have finally made it to the end of the grind. That's training camp. We got all wet and soaked to walk up here and give me a three hour show, and you're gonna do me like that.
Speaker 3: Come on, Terry, it could be a lot of points.
Speaker 2: Come on, Terry. Also, it could be a lot of princes.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 2: Also listen, I know my Mountaineers have had our struggles, all right. But Matt was up here saying he might take some Western Pennsylvania football high school football teams like maybe Ali Quipper or Hills Central Catholic. We'll see again. I'm gonna send Matt down there to scout. At some point, Ian says the Saint Vincent College football program is bad. He said, I was recruited to play there and they went oh to thirteen that year. I believe not sure if that says more about the program or my football ability. I thought that they did struggle for a long time. But for some reason, I thought they've had a couple of good years recently. I'm not sure, though. Man, that's a that's an interesting one.
Speaker 3: I'm a little excited to watch them an action though. If they do something.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, I mean they will.
Speaker 3: They're gonna they're practice right here we go.
Speaker 2: I think Ian was I think Ian was right. They went two and eight last year, one and nine, the year before, three and seven, the year before that, five and five, five and six. When was the last time they had a winning season.
Speaker 3: It's been a long time, Okay.
Speaker 2: Twenty eleven was the last time they had a winning season. Yeah, you know what, this is gonna be the year they're gonna get that turned around.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: I see a lot of future accountants and whatnot on that field.
Speaker 2: You and Terry are just being mean out here. I'm trying to be nice. I'm trying to be popped.
Speaker 3: I wish I'm the best. They've been good to us.
Speaker 2: They sure have, Matt. Before we get into the four o'clock hour, we're gonna do a fun thing called the Campies that our buddies. Our buddies, Max Starks and Mike Pursuda came up with, but I do to have a little fantasy football focus with you here for a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right.
Speaker 2: Basically, NFL dot Com did ideal top two picks for each draft slot in a twelve team league.
Speaker 3: I haven't given this part much thought, so I take this guy? Who do I get?
Speaker 2: So here's how they said, if you're in a twelve team league, the best scenario you could have. I want to run these past you, and you can say I'd take it or I'd go fish. Sound.
Speaker 3: I think the first two picks are basically the same. It's Jamiir or Bijon, and then what do you do with the next one?
Speaker 2: So for first pick, they go Jamiir Gibbs first round, first pick, Malik Neighbors second round, twelfth pick, take it or go fish.
Speaker 3: I think he's healthy. He was so far down the list because he looked terrible in the preseason in the offseason, but by all accounts he's a full go and rate a rock. I think I take it. It seems a little rich for Neighbors, but I'm cool with it.
Speaker 2: Picking second b Jon Robinson first round, second overall. Jeremiah loves second round eleventh pick.
Speaker 3: No, but this isn't I'm go fish, but this is just because he came out this morning as a high ankle spran. So that's probably you know, the author probably didn't know that, which they linger man. I hate for any rough fantasy player.
Speaker 2: Picking third Puka Nakua in the first round, third overall from the Rams, second round, tenth pick Drake London.
Speaker 3: Two wide receivers, Yes, but I would never go wide receiver wide.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't either, So that's my only problem saying I like both of those players from a fantasy football perspective.
Speaker 3: So like my main league, we pull cards and if you get the ace, you get to pick wherever you want from one to twelve.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: So like if you told me right now, I don't know where I pick, but it might have to give up my first and second pick for London and the coup, I would say.
Speaker 2: No, if you pulled that card, where would you I don't know yet. I might pick second because.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't pick first. I'd take second. I would take.
Speaker 2: Second because you'll get one of those guys and then you'll get a pick earlier in the second round.
Speaker 3: But I also like to do as the draft goes on. If you pick like second or third, or eleventh or tenth, and the first guy already took a quarterback, you know you don't have to take it going into him. You can wait and get one coming out, you know, things like that.
Speaker 2: So picking fourth, first round, fourth pick, Christian McCaffrey, fourth overall.
Speaker 3: That's where he's going. I just don't know that I want the fourth pack. I don't want the fourth pick. I don't think definitely I take Jamar Chase over him. Actually, I don't want the fifth pick either.
Speaker 2: Second round, ninth pick, George Pickens, I'm going no, I'm going fish.
Speaker 3: No. I would not give my first two picks for.
Speaker 2: That, picking fifth overall, Jackson Smith and Jigba fifth overall, Zay Flowers second round, eighth.
Speaker 3: Pick two rich for z For me, I think he's more of a third.
Speaker 2: And again, two wide receives, don't I gotta come away with with something more than two wide receivers.
Speaker 3: There's only like sixteen to eighteen running backs. I'm real comfortable to start, and I don't want to start with zero of them.
Speaker 2: And again that's where I'm at. Whereas like I have to take a running back at least with one of my first two picks, although Matt this would be hard to say no to. First round on sixth pick Jamar Chase.
Speaker 3: I don't think he ever was in the last of six. He might be.
Speaker 2: Third, but anyway, Second round, seventh pick Josh Allen, I think I would take that.
Speaker 3: That's pretty strong.
Speaker 2: You don't get a running back, but man, you get maybe the best wide receiver and the best quarterback.
Speaker 3: I would go fish just because I don't want to pay the Allen price, but I don't want to play against that team. I mean, those two could combine for sixty points a week.
Speaker 2: You don't even like Allen there and like the back half.
Speaker 3: That's where he's worth. I'm going to take one in the eleventh rag as you know.
Speaker 2: Picking seventh. First round seventh pick Jonathan Taylor. Second round sixth pick Ashton Genty.
Speaker 3: That's pretty solid.
Speaker 2: It's pretty solid. Yeah, yeah, I might take that instead of going.
Speaker 3: Pretty strong starters. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Picking eighth, you'd.
Speaker 3: Still have plenty of receivers pick for throwing totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Third run on picking eighth Amon Ross Saint Brown. Second round fifth pick Rock Bowers.
Speaker 3: I was wondering where Bowers would end up in this exercise, Like I keep thinking, if I'm picking first or second, maybe I could get Bowers. At the end of the second I'm thinking that probably is Pie in the sky.
Speaker 2: He's going fifth pick of the second round here, so that would put him seventeenth. Overall.
Speaker 3: I'm still gonna go fish though, no running No running back in the first two picks. It's tough, yeah, because I mean I would maybe come back and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much always going fish if that's the scenario.
Speaker 3: It seems that way. I mean that Chase Allen one was kind of.
Speaker 2: That's the one I think that I would take, But the other ones, I'm definitely going fish on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the third round, you could get Loveland or McBride or another pretty strong tight end.
Speaker 2: Picking ninth first round, ninth pick Devon a Chain of the Miami Dolphins, second round, fourth pick Omarion Hampton of the Chargers. Two running backs not bad.
Speaker 3: I just don't think i'd take a Chan at nine.
Speaker 2: A little too high.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get such a workload and he's really really good. I just and rarely am I afraid of injuries. I'm kind of cocky that way, Like I gets hurt I'll find somebody else. I'm a good owner, but he's so little and he's on such a bad team. I just think he's gonna get the crap knocked out of him this year.
Speaker 2: Picking tenth Justin Jefferson, first round, tenth overall, Chase Brown round third pick.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think I would have taken Hampton or Genty who went after Chase Brown. You know what I mean, Like if I had, if you gave me Justin Jefferson in choice of running backs, I just don't think i'd take Brown. But Jefferson at ten, I know that's where he's going.
Speaker 2: And you know you'll get a solid running back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, five picks later. The more we talk through this, I might I think I want to pick at the top of the first round, but the back half here is better than the middle. The middle I didn't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, picking eleventh James Cook Buffalo Bills, and then second round, second pick ceed Lamb.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Take that for first Yeah, James Cook and Ceedee Lamb. Yes, and then last but certainly not least, first round twelfth overall A J. Brown and then Derrick Henry. No.
Speaker 3: I don't trust Brown. I think Brown is near the end, he's really low on my list.
Speaker 2: I am, I can. I would be shocked if his his ADP is high as twelve round.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he's going to be shocked if that were the case. Ye, Like, I'd take London ahead of him, and he went like ten picks later in.
Speaker 2: This one, London calling to the far away towns.
Speaker 3: That Lamb and Cook ones kind of.
Speaker 2: That's real good.
Speaker 3: That my favorite of all of them. Matt.
Speaker 2: We've got an hour in the books, two more hours to go to conclude our training camp coverage here from Saint Vincent College. I want to get into the campies. When we return, we'll find out some training camp awards. This was an exercise done on Steelers dot Com by our buddies, PURSUITA and Starks. We'll see what their answers are, we'll give our answers, and we'll kick around some of the things that we've seen and noticed here over the last three weeks. Uller and Williamson. It is the drive hour in the books. Two hours to go, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network