Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to gek Mail. We are doing the second gek mail in one week.
Speaker 2: The reason that I am doing.
Speaker 1: This is because I have like a bunch of backed up emails, Like I'm looking at emails from October seventeenth that I have yet to read, and I'm enjoying it. I'm taking a little bit of a break from chatting with people on the phone. I'm taking a little bit of control over this podcast situation. So I'm just going to spend the next hour hanging out with myself and hopefully I have fun doing that. It's fun to do a little solo podcast adventure. I hope that you're having fun hanging out with me, hanging out with me, let's I guess, let's just start reading emails. I don't know if I have any more things to rant about. I mean, I can talk about my life. Oh well, I mean, okay, I'll bring this up. I am still doing an art exhibition in Bushwick, Brooklyn. I know you're probably tired of me talking about it, but I'm doing an art exhibition. It's called Lyle Forever presents Trash from around My Room. I am taking eight pieces of trash from around my room, and I am displaying them as art.
Speaker 2: Why am I doing this, I don't know. I just need.
Speaker 1: I'm at a point in my life where I just got to try doing shit. So this is some of the shit that I'm trying to do. And so if you live in New York City and you want to check that out, look at the link in the episode description and follow that laylow link and put your phone number in there so I can text you more details about that event. I am in Japan. I leave tomorrow to go back to the United States. People who've been listening to this podcast for better or for worse, are you're aware of the fact that I'm going a little bit crazy. But I think that once I have I have a good faith that once I return to the United States and fucking you know, get back integrated with normal ass life, that things will be good. I'm actually feeling pretty okay this morning. Sunlight is good. I did I did twenty five push ups in a row for the first time in my entire life. I don't know why I'm bragging about that, but I just need. These are just things going on with me that I'm excited about, so I'm sharing them.
Speaker 2: This is this is.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I used to listen to a podcast called WTF with Mark Maron, and he opened he like does interviews with comedians, but he always opens it by doing what I'm doing right now, just going on long rants about his own life. And every time I listen to that podcast, I like he opened he would go on like a fifteen minute rant solo about his own life and then get into the episode, and I was always like, why does this guy do this? I always would skip over the ramp part to just get to the interview part. And this was a show I listened to like ten years ago when I was in high school. And so now it's kind of funny that I am now doing a podcast where I am ranting about my life when I used to chastise this other guy who did a podcast ranting about his life, and to be fair to myself, at the time, I just didn't know how fun it is to talk to yourself like a crazy person.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get into some emails. All right.
Speaker 1: This is from my subject line I pooped my pants. Okay, there we go, some lighthearted fun.
Speaker 2: Hey gecko.
Speaker 1: For a long time, I had made fun of a friend because she sharded quite a bit. I was on such a high horse about how I never sharded ever until one day I was watching Telly and I felt a fart brewing. I admit it was stupid, giving that stubborn fart and extra push I eventually came out, but I quickly realized, you know what, I don't have to read this yet. I'm not going to read the rest of this email, but that's you know, all right, Let's try to find a real one, all right. This is from Roy, subject line I don't know how to be gay.
Speaker 2: Hey, Lyle, you.
Speaker 1: Can call me Roy. I'm twenty years old and I've been with my boyfriend for three years. We're talking about getting married, but I don't know how a gay wedding ceremony might work. I know you can just do whatever you want, but I really have no idea what we can do that won't make one of us look like the bride or the groom of the relationship. I also don't know how to come out to my dad. My boyfriend and I have lived together since we started dating, and I'm not worried my dad will react terribly. I just know it'll be awkward to tell him, especially since we've been together for years and are thinking about marriage when I haven't even introduced my boyfriend and dad to each other. I'd love advice on both or either of those topics. Yes, I live in Alaska, born and raised. Ooh, I think it'd be super cool if you came here on tour. Next time you think about debt yo, kick ass. No, I love, I'm maybe I do. I want to make it over to Alaska at some point. I want to know what the hell is going on over there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, Roy, you sent me this email over three months ago, so I don't know if you are still alive or listening to this podcast.
Speaker 2: But here, I mean, I we'll hear what.
Speaker 1: Look, dude, what jumps out at me is that you're fucking twenty years old, you know, like get a, get a. That's the main thing. The gay thing and the dad thing is you know. I'm sure that they're all important aspects of this in your brain, but I hopefully, hopefully those aspects have not become so at the forefront of your brain that you're forgetting the fact that you are twenty years old. And you know, here's the thing, man, I don't know, some people get married young and it works out for them and they get a dog and they live happily ever after, and you know, those people might be happier.
Speaker 2: A lot of the don't trust.
Speaker 1: My opinion on anything because people probably did that and are happier than I am.
Speaker 2: But I also bet a lot of people did that and regret it.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, Roy, I kind of think that when you're twenty years old, you know, in my humble opinion, Roy, in my humble opinion, and we'll get to the you know thing with your dad, But my humble opinion is, like, you got so much fucking room to develop yourself as a human being. Do you really want to I'm you know, your boyfriend might be a cool guy, but like you've been together since you were seventeen, do you really want to just be like, all right, I'm done. I finished developing as a human being. Let me, you know, cash in my chips right.
Speaker 2: Now, you know.
Speaker 1: And I look, I'm not saying like, oh, you're twenty, you can get ripped and get a hotter boyfriend or whatever, but I am saying that, like, twenty twenty, it just feels fucking young to.
Speaker 2: Get married, man, Tony, just why why? Why? I am curious about this. Why are you in a rush to get married?
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if you and your boyfriend are hanging out and you're having fun and everything is supportive and he makes you happy and all this stuff, then you know why I guess why are you in a rush to get married? Like? What is it about the marriage thing? Is it just like a label? Is it like their government benefits or whatever?
Speaker 2: But I just feel like.
Speaker 1: Twenty is a little a little young for that. And let me reread this. As far as I don't know what I know, you can just do whatever you want, but I don't know what we can do that won't make one of us look like the bride or the groom of the relationship. I mean, as far as Echo is like, I don't want you to design. You can design your own wedding. Roy you can both wear suits, and you can have a dog officiate the wedding. You can design whatever you want. You can make your own ceremonies and holidays and whatever it is.
Speaker 2: So why don't you just be You can just.
Speaker 1: Be two grooms or you or you can do uh or you can both wear gray jumpsuits instead of suits or address and just have the most non binary, uh, non gender conforming uh wedding you can think of. I don't know, it's that's the thing, is I mean, you already do what I was gonna say. That's why you included in the emails, Like you can just do fucking whatever you want. You said, Uh, I mean yeah, why don't you just introduce your boyfriend? I know it'll be awkward to tell him because we've been together for years and are thinking about marriage. I don't know, Man, ask your dad about it, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You said, Uh, what is it? What is it?
Speaker 1: I'm not worried my dad will react terribly. So if you're not worried that your dad will react terribly, why are you afraid of introducing your boyfriend? And if you don't think he'll react terribly? I mean, you know, look, if you said that you don't think your dad will react terribly, then give it a shot. I suppose what's going on in Alaska? I don't know if. I don't know if my advice right now is helpful or makes any sense even, but I guess that's all I have to say about these things. Okay from Ivan, No subject Gecko? When are you coming to LA? And where do you buy the Gecko suit? When am I coming to La?
Speaker 2: I was in La?
Speaker 1: Oh crap, this person sent me this on October eighteenth. It is now March third, and I was last in La like November fifth or something like that. So yeah, you missed me. But where do you buy the Gecko suit? You buy it on what the same place you buy everything? God damn it? Right on Amazon? Just go to Amazon search a Gecko suits. I need to get an affiliate code for that, but I don't have one right now. So just yeah, I don't know how much is it?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna check. It always fluctuates in price. Okay, do not show me items in Japan?
Speaker 2: Okay? Hold on?
Speaker 1: Uh okay, okay, I'm on Amazon. Gecko costs too. All right, let's see what the cheapest one we can find is Rasta. Okay, yeah, the brand is called Rasta Impasta. Where are we at with this? No featured offer is available? Oh my god, don't tell me, dude, No, hold on, don't tell me they start.
Speaker 2: Don't hold on.
Speaker 1: Do not tell me that I am live while recording this right fucking now discovering that they don't make this costume anymore. Oh my god, no no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, holy shit, no more fat your offers available. Dude, No, this can't. This cannot be happening right now.
Speaker 2: I always knew that this hold on.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is insane that I am live realizing this right now as I'm recording this podcast, I am searching to find this gecko suit and I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I found the listing, but there's no options to buy, folks. Holy shit, I think they have stopped making the gecko suit. I have been doing this show for folks. I have been dressing up as a fucking gecko on the internet for almost five years. This summer June twenty twenty five, it'll be five years of dressing up as a gecko and day one. I always knew this is crazy. I'm discovering this right in this moment. I always knew one day that this would happen. Wow, this is like symbolic of some this is I'm I'm a little shocked. I'm a little I'm at I'm in a little bit of shock right now. I am in genuinely a little bit of shock right now. Let's see, because I'm looking at the page and there is no options to buy.
Speaker 2: Let's see, when's the last customer review? Wow? Yep, yeah, they don't.
Speaker 1: They're not selling it on Okay, let's see if they sell it on the regular website. Okay, Rasta and Pasta Gecko. Holy shit, I can't buy this on Amazon anymore. Maybe it's because maybe it's because I'm in Maybe it's because I'm in Japan. Right now, Folks, help me out here? Do they do they still have buying options for this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Hold on, let me check the actual Rosta Impasta website and see if they still have it. I genuinely do not know. This is one of those things where like you build a whole career and life off of something, and then people are like, what are you gonna do when they stop selling the costume and you're just like, dah, I don't know. And then you're like, oh, I forget that. Okay, Okay, here we go, here we go, here we go. Okay, all right, I'm not fully fucked. All right, I am not fully fucked. I can buy a costume from the actual rasta impasta dot com website for eighty nine dollars and ninety nine cents just directly from the site, it seems. Let's see add to carte. Okay, view cart I was almost fucked for a second.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a bad sign that I was like, I was like looking, I was for I leave. Okay, okay, if I really Okay, what I'm realizing by looking at the internet right now is that if I really need a Rasta and Pasta gecko costume, which often via the life I've created, I do, I can buy one from New Jersey. So that's good. But for a second, I was like, maybe this is the sign. This is a sign that I need to start dressing up like a fucking Walrus or something like that, or just being a you know, human being. Whatever it is. Okay, So my new answer to back to this email? Where's my email? I lost my email? Oh okay, what am I coming to? I'm coming to LA three months ago? And you buy that gecko suits not on Amazon but on the Rosta and Pasta website. Okay, all right, this is from suit guys from this They sent me this October seventeenth, subject line, somebody wiped their ass with my exam papers. Ignore my email. I made this when I was nine. What's the email at gmail dot com? Okay, sorry, I shouldn't have doxed your email, but all right, we can actually bleep out your email.
Speaker 2: But that's a cool email, hey, Lyle.
Speaker 1: One time, when I was fifteen and finishing my sophomore year, the school wanted to see if I had dyslexia so I could have extra time, so they made my mom bring in a couple of my exams from the years before so they could evaluate it. Anyways, when that was all done and my mom was waiting to be picked up, she left the folder with my very important end of year sophomore exams inside the bench just outside the school council office. When she got home and realized, both of us went back to go get it. When we went back to the bench, the folder had been opened, and I kid you not, there was human shit smeared all over every single page of my exams, like actual human shit. It couldn't have been a stray cat or anything, because we had a cat at home and knew what that smelled like, and this was distinctly human poop. We think it might have been some kid who wanted to bully me, or maybe some young kid who just couldn't hold it, but we never found out who it was. Since they didn't have cameras facing that bench, the principle was basically useless and just said sorry to us.
Speaker 2: What was it? What was it?
Speaker 1: What's the principle supposed to do? Also, if grammatical errors in this email were not proven enough, yes, I do have dyslexia. Okay, well let's you know. Wow, yeah, I don't know. I guess what was the principle supposed to do about it? Did you get an A on?
Speaker 2: Uh? Did you did what?
Speaker 1: I This is what I'm curious about is did they like accept your exams? Like, did they take them in or were they like because yeah, because if I'm like a teacher or a principal or something and some kid gets a diarrhea on their exams through no fault of their own, I'm just like give that Give that fucking kid. Ay, give them a B minus at least, don't like, you know, don't leave them hanging. Okay, let's see here, all right, this is from Jesus subject line the email and then it just says smoke we It says smoke weak every day. It says smoke weak every day, so I think they meant to say weed. But they also could have meant to say they are every day they are having a smoke week, or that perhaps they are smoking so much every day that every day feels like a smoke week. The mystery will never be solved. Okay, this is.
Speaker 2: From uh.
Speaker 1: Jar subject line Maybe today Satan hi Gak Yours is the only live act my boyfriend and I like mutually, and I can't wait to take him to see you next time. You're in the Seattle area. Neither of us are from here, but it's all right living here. We both struggle with depression, autism and ADHD, and it's super quirky all the time. Every door is left open. I'm gonna be on a Joe Para comedy special soon and have been inspired to become a comedian myself. Life hits different when you have eighteen hundred people all collectively enjoying the moment. Is it better to go to open mic nights or join an improv group?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 1: There's not much here and the improv group seem lane. How do you not turn stand up into a therapy session? Is it cathartic to do this podcast. Uh let's see here, well, I mean a couple Yeah, I can answer some stuff in this in this email, is it better to go to open mics or join in prov group? I mean, do both, see which one you have more fun doing. Here's the thing, Here's what I'm gonna say to you, is that the best thing about comedy if you're gonna do it, and if you're gonna do it, some people they go into it and they're like, I'm gonna be a big famous star, and you know, some people get successful with that and some people, you know, maybe you're not a big famous star, but maybe you make a living doing it somehow. But they don't even think about those things. And nothing in this email is telling me that you're even thinking about those things. Maybe I'm projecting that upon you. But the best thing about the comedy scene is that's a it's a it's a community.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a community, so.
Speaker 1: You know, and and having that kind of community can have a really positive impact on your life.
Speaker 2: So if I were you, I would do both.
Speaker 1: I mean, join the improv group, go to the open mic nights and try to talk to people and the more often you're showing up at the open mic nights, the more often people will know you and just try to try to fucking be uh, you know, be nice and be cool.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, right, is like, as long as you're.
Speaker 1: You know, being generally easy to be around, you will skyrocket to the top of any local comedy scene. Possibly maybe you don't even have to be like I mean, it helps if you're good on stage, but as long as you're just like chill, you know, it's good. It's a good way to make it's an excellent way to make friends, an excellent way to see that, you know, it's an excellent way to make friends. It's an excellent way to see the city that you live in because you it brings you to bars and venues that are in different parts of the city that maybe you wouldn't have travel to otherwise. So I mean, go go on your journey. Go on your journey. How do you not turn stand up into a therapy session? Why are you so concerned with not doing that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, speak your fucking truth. It's speak your truth, man, whatever the fuck you have to say, just say it. Maybe it's not funny immediately, maybe you get something out of it. Maybe you get whatever you were you were looking for out of it, you know, And it doesn't necessarily have to be I mean, stand up. It can just be whatever you want. That's the fun part is that it's just you with a microphone talking. Uh.
Speaker 2: You said, is it cathartic to do this podcast? It is? Sometimes it is.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm learning about my I'm learning a lot about myself. I've learned, I'll fucking I've learned so much about life and about myself over the past five years that I've been doing this. And uh, but I also still have a lot of essans because sometimes, you know, talking about sometimes doing this podcast is cathartic, but other times, I I it's less. So I'm I've actually been thinking about this. I might start you know what I might start doing, folks. You know what I might start doing. Uh, listeners of the Therapy Ecko podcast. You know what I might start doing, folks. I Uh, here's the thing, you know, the phone call episodes and and and doing this. Uh, I have fun and they're they're actually you know a lot of times where I'm having a good time. But I just I'm in a point in my life where I need to be out in the planet Earth. And so, you know, I used to do a lot of like being a gecko in real life stuff where I would just sit as a gecko in a park and chat with people. And I think I'm gonna try to do a lot more of that. So I might, I might, even I don't. I don't want to promise whatever the fuck, because I you know, I might. I have fucking crazy ADHD brain. But I'm thinking I'm gonna try to start doing more audio versions of that as the podcast, Right, So I'll post up in Washington Square Park with two microphones and just chat with whoever's hanging out, you know, and it can be an audio journey that takes the people listening out of their computer and into real life. And maybe that'll be cathartic, but it feels it does feel cathartic to do to do the podcast and to get to like share and explain things from my life and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see here, all right. This is from Janet.
Speaker 1: Subject line I married my horse. Howdy for my sixtieth birthday, twenty twenty two, I married my horse.
Speaker 2: It was a blast.
Speaker 1: I was live streaming but got kicked off the stream when we played White Wedding. It was a good day. I attached a picture of me with Valor.
Speaker 2: And my mom.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty, I started, Okay, well let me look at this picture first. Oh, holy shit, this lady married her horse. Wow, that's pretty cool. He's wearing a hat. That's very interesting. In twenty twenty, I started taking care of my mom full time. She has dementia. She's currently on hospice, so she has a six months to one year prognosis. When my mom passes, I plan to buy an RV and hit the road. I plan to start a podcast talking to people about the paranormal religion and UFOs. I plan to travel around, set up in a public space and start talking to people.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. It's exactly what I was just talking about wanting to do more of. Can you offer any advice? My biggest concern is the amount of time that will need to be dedicated to editing and posting the podcast. I hope to your comments. Thanks for being there. You've inspired me. Thank you, Janet. Wow, fascinating, fascinating, fascinating, fascinat anything fascinating. First of all, I think this is uh, super fucking cool to be starting doing this at sixty years old. There's gonna be a lot of people who I bet want to talk to you. So I think it's a great idea. Can I offer you any I can't offer you any advice. I just do it you honestly. I can just tell by this email you have a strong conviction in what you want to do, and so I don't have any advice for you. I mean, just do it right. The amount of time that will we need, you know, dedicated to editing and posting the podcast, Well, what else are you doing?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: You know, your horse is at home taking care of the you know, doing dishes, and I don't know if you guys have a traditional kind of relationship where the horse goes out and makes all the money. But you know what, I don't know what you're doing with the rest of your time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see, posting the podcast is very easy. You hit one button and a post the podcast. Maybe you can get somebody to help you edit. That could be kind of cool. Maybe you could get somebody to help you edit.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know who you got around you. I don't know who's who?
Speaker 1: Who else is uh in your life? But maybe you could get somebody else to help you edit. But also like you know, editing, editing, that's the thing that is like editing your podcast. If you just kind of like in point out point, it's not going to be that crazy time intensive, I don't think. But uh, yeah, I have no advice for you. I just think you should go and do this because it's it's super cool and I'm I'm excited to see what what kind of podcast you cook up, Jane. So if you happen to hear this, and you happen to you know, once you get it started, send me another email. I want to see what's going on. I want to see what you what you ended up doing.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: This is from Tyler, subject line seasonal depression. He Tyler says, I always seem to think we are similar every time I hear you mention your mental health issues. This from December fourth. Oh crap, how often have I been messaging mentioning my mental health issues? Just wanted to say, keep pushing, especially with days getting shorter. Also, I feel I consume too much weed during these times and it makes it worse.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is definitely a correlation between uh, you know, the seasons and how I feel. Yeah, there's definitely a correlation. Well, thanks, thanks for the tyler. You you two man. Keep living, Keep being alive, Keep being alive. All right, all right? This is from k subject line poop waterfall. All right, I'm not gonna read that, all right. This is from Riley. Subject line entrepreneur to entrepreneur. Riley says, Howdy green gecko, man of the Internet. My name is Riley. I am twenty one years old and just started my own business as a ferrier parentheses horseshore. I've been home from shooting school for seven months and I've had plenty of work between my own clients and apprenticeships since i've been home. However, this is the first winter of my career and things are slowing down. Horses aren't growing as fast, and schedules are getting stretched. In the past few months, I have made drastic changes in my lifestyle, including diet for chronic pain, breaking bad habits. It's focusing on my fitness and mental health, doing a lot of yoga, meditation and so on. My lifestyle is taken a full one eighty. I've been freaking out a little bit about my workload and income slowing way down due to the winter. I've decided I will take this winter to work really hard on healing my body, improving my rig, putting time into friendships, my personal horse, and getting ready to go to certification. Do you have any advice on getting through the first few years of being self employed, on dealing with the highs and lows, keeping yourself sane through it all?
Speaker 2: Love you, GHEK. Do I have any advice about this?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess, like, look is thing at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Well, also, you're.
Speaker 1: Fucking twenty one, so just you're doing every just saying you know, don't you sent me this email months ago? But just Riley, if you hear this, I mean, you're twenty one years old and you're giving it a shot. Right, You could just fuck up, right, you could just fuck everything up. Just you could just destroy your fucking life and it would be fine because you have tons of time to rebuild it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like the stock market, like it could take a fucking dive, right, but like over time it recovers. You know, you're young, you can you can hold down the uh fort right, so you're doing it right, you know. I mean cause if you were telling me you're like fifty and you have kids and they're starving because you have to do your own business and you're fucking out, like that's that would.
Speaker 2: Be fucked up, right.
Speaker 1: But just just to have have have a lot of faith in the fact that you're doing this at the right time and you're doing it right, that's what I would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I would say. I hope that that gives you some some form of, you know.
Speaker 1: Clarity or or strength to keep going that like, you know, you got plenty of time to fuck up your die again.
Speaker 2: I think you're doing it right. I think you're doing it right all right.
Speaker 1: This is from Nick subject line lizard wisdom, your green holiness. I don't know if I like that. My name is Nick and I have been a big fan since twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nick.
Speaker 1: You were part of the reason I was inspired to go to school and become a real therapist. Although I am convinced that you are just as much of a real therapist, just without the commitment to multiple sessions and a button up shirt. I don't I don't know if I like that either. I don't think I am, but you know what, I'm sorry, I'm shitting on you. I appreciate that the sentiment and intention of this email is to be nice to me, so thank you Nick. Anyway, my question for you is about my girlfriend. I've had multiple long term relationships and was engaged two years ago. I have been dating my current girlfriend for one year and find that she has all of the qualities I am looking for in a long term partner. The problem is I constantly have dreams about my last girlfriend and feel longing for what was lost. My last girlfriend was bipolar, unpredictable, and riddled with flaws, and in no way do I think our relationship could have ever worked out. But at the same time, the feeling of love was overwhelming. The question I have been struggling with is essentially, do you think it's possible to grow in love with someone or do you think it is pre determined?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: First of all, let me just say here. I know that I know I'm a broken fucking record when it comes to saying.
Speaker 2: This, but I don't have any answer to this question.
Speaker 1: These A lot of the questions that I come through this podcast are not things I have any answers to. But they are things actually that I myself think about a lot. I think about this as it possible to grow in love with someone or do you think it's predetermined? And I've talked to friends about it, I've talked to family about it, and I've, like you know, talk to people on this podcast about it. And it's like, some people believe that you can just decide to be in love with someone. Some people believe it's a feeling that you chase. Some people believe you know all sorts of things right, And it's a little scary to think about because nobody wants to make the wrong decision in their life, right, and feelings are not always great at guiding us. But yeah, I don't know if it's predetermined. I mean, I think that there is a thing to be said about, like the more time and energy that you I think there is something to be said about like the more time and energy you invest in a relationship, the more close you will feel to a person. So in that case, maybe it is possible to grow in love with someone.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're pretty confident that your last relationship could have never worked out, so I mean, that's good, right, That's that's better than being like, ah, I fucked it up, or I would have been beautiful if only I hadn't, you know, been fucking.
Speaker 2: Lazy or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, hopefully that helps you sleep better at night is just knowing that it never would have worked out in the first place. So you know, that's what I would cling to if I were.
Speaker 2: You, Nick. Let's see here, all right.
Speaker 1: This is from Peebo, subject line I maybe having a quarter life crisis. Hello Lyle. First of all, Happy New Year. I hope you're doing well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I am emailing to share some thoughts I've been having about my career slash relationship and hear your inputs. I am in a five year relationship that has been pretty good. I am currently pursuing my masters, and I think I have found something that I can consider a career in. After I finish, I can start job hunting or apply for a PhD. Getting a PhD is an insane commitment of my time and may require me to move away if.
Speaker 2: I don't get into a local school.
Speaker 1: If I have to move, my boyfriend can't follow me because he owns a business. My boyfriend doesn't want me to apply for programs far away because he thinks our relationship could end. I never moved away from home, so I'm interested in taking the opportunity to do so.
Speaker 2: PhD or not.
Speaker 1: I want to move out after I finish my current degree. My boyfriend wants to wait to buy a house together rather than rent. There's nothing wrong with this, but he continues to invest money, so I cannot see how we move out in the next few years. And I don't want to live at home in my thirties. I know if I stayed, it would be an easier choice, but part of me wants to try doing this alone if you won't come with me. I have sort of breached the subject before, but it ends in him being upset. Sometimes I doubt I would even do well in a PhD program, so maybe it is better to stay and find work. Also, it is hard to imagine my life without him. He is my best friend. I feel pretty guilty for feeling this way. PhD applications are due in December twenty twenty five, but I would not start the program until fall of twenty twenty six. Sounds far away, but I know it will come quickly. Also, I forgot to mention, but I am twenty five. He is in his early thirties. Best peebo. You know, it's funny when I first started doing this podcast and this kind of shit would come through. I'm not going to disclaim anymore the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about, but it comes inherent for me to be able to do this. But I don't know what I even just I don't. I don't think what I just said made any sense, but I did record it and I am putting it on the internet anyway. You know, it's funny when I first started doing this and shit like this would come by, I would always kind of instantly be like, you know, always always go for the thing that gives you personal growth over like anything else, especially goddamn especially if you're young. I again, I'll speak from my own lived experience, right is, like I specifically always wanted to like leave home. I always wanted to see the world. I felt like, you'll only live once. You should see the world that you live in. It's it's pretty crazy out there. You should you should, just if you just fucking never leave the town that you grew up in and you just stay there, you're not getting the full experience of life right.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm thinking because because that's what I would have said a few years ago.
Speaker 2: But now after myself having lived.
Speaker 1: A life where I'm kind of running around everywhere, part of me is like, oh, you know, there is something about staying in the community that you already have because it's comforting. But I still and I'm thinking about it right You're making me think about it right now. You're making me think about it right now, And I still fucking think it's all gonna be easier said than done. But I still fucking think, dude, if you've never left, if you've never left, I think it's worth it to leave, you know. I mean what I just said about sticking around a place for a while and building community and building relationships and stuff. It's like, that's that's always gonna be an option, right And once you're in that and you have a whatever the fuck I mean, honestly, not even once you're in that and you have a whatever the fuck you, there's always gonna be opportunities to explore and grow and do shit.
Speaker 2: I kind of have.
Speaker 1: A bit of a thing in my gut and brain when it comes to relationships and whatnot of like if it's meant to be, it's meant to be, you know, like part of me thinks.
Speaker 2: And this kind of goes back.
Speaker 1: To what we were talking about on the other email, of like is how much of the shit is predetermined?
Speaker 2: I way back and forth between whether or not we live in a.
Speaker 1: There's the idea that we live in like complete utter chaos universe and there does exist such a thing as the wrong decision and everything's fucking completely random, you know, the whole Rick and Morty thing. Nobody belongs anywhere, nothing is on purpose, We're all gonna die kind of shit. And then I sort of I'm so I'm between that and between like this kind of feeling of hopefulness that like not so much that there's like a predetermined order to how the world works, but that like human beings are adaptable and like enter I really don't mean this in a woo woo sense. I really mean this in kind of like a like a logistical grounded thing, like people's brains are wired in certain ways, and like institutions and places are wired in certain ways, and there's just this like mathematical equation that occurs when the ways in which people and things and places and institutions are wired connect with each other, and that mathematical equation has a has an equal sign and it's gonna equal whatever the fuck it's gonna equal anyway, meaning that if things were gonna work out, then they would have, and if they didn't work out, they never meant they never were meant to be.
Speaker 2: I know what I just said sounded like a woo woo thing, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it is like a logistic I think what I just said made fucking sense, right, Because you're who you are in a sense, and your brain works the way it does in a sense. And your boyfriend is who he is in a sense, and his brain works the way it is in a sense, and he has his own life and you have your own life, and they kind of gel and mesh and in a perfect beautiful world where everything always works out forever and always things will work out. But just like empirically, sometimes the energies.
Speaker 2: In the paths.
Speaker 1: Divulge, and maybe they divulge for a moment, and people find their way back to each other, and life is kind of weird and and crazy like that. But that whole rant is all to say that, you know, if you never left your fucking hometown before, I mean, go try it, just try it. Not everyone's built not everyone's like built for it, not not even a in a like being able to handle it sense, but in a being able in a whether or not leaving your hometown brings you happiness sense.
Speaker 2: But if you don't know, I mean, you should give it a try. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hope, my I hope, I hope. I don't have Please don't listen to this because I don't. I don't want to take any responsibility for any any decisions you might make with your life.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the that's the truth. Okay, all right, let's keep going. All right.
Speaker 1: This is from Okay, this is from Brian. Hey gek, you can choose a name for me. I got chased by a black bear back in the summer, and now every time I walk the route where I was chased, I relive each terrifying step I took as I ran away. I live in constant fear while walking slash running that a black bear will jump out of the bush.
Speaker 2: And eat me.
Speaker 1: That's the whole fucking email, all right. I think I did my job by just simply reading that. I don't know if I need any further context or things to say. All right, it's from Dante, subject line a problem around Oh, I just remembered what I wanted to say about that last email. Well, go watch the Revenant. Actually, don't watch the Revenant. That'll make your life. That'll make you It'll make things worse.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: From Dante, subject line A problem around work slash relaxation.
Speaker 2: Hey, gek, big fan.
Speaker 1: I've gotten into a bad habit of watching productivity and self help content, and now I am split when it comes to how I should conduct my life. On one hand, I enjoy working hard and building towards something over time, but having every bit of mental focus fixated on achieving something often makes me stressed out, and eventually I resent.
Speaker 2: What I work towards. Ooh.
Speaker 1: I can also relax occasionally, but I get bored very easily if I don't have something to put my mind towards, and I get uncomfortable on holidays because they mess up the momentum of what I'm working on. At first, I thought it was either because I wasn't pushing hard enough or not fully relaxing enough, But now I think the fact that I watch a lot of this content makes me ultra conscious of everything I do and how I'm spending every bit of time. That's the whole email, Dante. I'm with you, my brother.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: Highly relate to several of the aspects of this email. I highly relate to it. I think they answer is probably just balance, right. I think the answer is just balance, you know, like being able to being able to, like, okay, get some ship done during the day, right, so that you can feel as though you got what you if it feels like you've got some ship done that day and then at night you can go party or relax or do whatever the fuck it is you're gonna do. So uh, I mean, that's that's that's the word here. I think it would be balance because because it's it's way easier to enjoy, uh, being on holiday or being up in the club or whatever, if you don't have this nagging feeling like your homework isn't done. That that whole kind of nagging, my homework isn't done feelings has you know, been with me forever? So I feel you, so, you know, I guess the answer is just try to try to have some balance and do your homework during the day. Okay, this is from Jake. Subject line, life is pretty sweet, to be honest. Okay, thank God. We needed this. We absolutely needed this. We needed some hope this episode. Please dear God. Okay, Hey, GHEK. My name is Jake. I was at your live show in La last November, and like I said, life is awesome.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I work at a chain pizza place, probably getting paid too much and getting away with too much. And I'm picking up a second job at a family owned cheese steak spot, which I'm excited about. I've been super consistent with Jim and hobbies too. I'm now sixty five days sober from weed brenth Seas. It was a very negative force in my life. I still get a bit lonely and sad and junk and have days off, but I have never felt so consistently content and genuinely happy day to day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: It's still a bit of a foreign feeling, to be honest, I don't really know where this momentum came from, but I'm trying to make the most of it before I end up on another trough. To be honest, I don't have much else to say, I just don't have anyone to really talk about this with. One vice I still have is doom scrolling. And one of my New Year's resolutions was to consume better media like movies or video games with more intention yeah yeah, rather than scrolling and gaining nothing from it. So that's the fucking thing, right is You'll be like, oh, I don't have time to watch a movie, and then you'll scroll on your phone for like two hours and it's like you didn't even consume anything.
Speaker 2: You just went crazy. Maybe a silly.
Speaker 1: Resolution compared to most, but I'm a pretty big believer in that what we consume molds us in a lot of ways. So I'll end this by asking what are some recommendations of games or media that has moved you or stuck with you through the years, or even just a recent obsession. I never had the chance to try and call in, so I wanted to try to send an email. And I know it's a broken record, but you help pass the time so much and give me interesting perspectives on things along with your callers. Love the show, hope things are going good, get blessed. Thank you, Jake. I would say, well, okay, my number one video game recommendation is red de Redemption two. Read Redemption two is the greatest video game ever made.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of any other Well, I don't know what you have. I don't know if you're a PC guy, PlayStation guy, switch person. I was just playing Little Nightmares on the Switch before I came to Japan. There's a lot of great Zelda games. BioShock is very good. What else, man, what else?
Speaker 2: That's my main one. Read Redemption two. Jake.
Speaker 1: If you think life is pretty sweet, now just wait until you're playing red Redemption to But uh, anyway, in overall, thank you for sharing this, Jake. This is cool. I like.
Speaker 2: Hearing a little bit of hope, right.
Speaker 1: That's all that fucking goddamn matters at the end of the day, is just being able to like when somebody asks you how you're doing, being able to be like, yeah, I'm doing good. I'm not going completely insane. I feel stable, I feel happy. So that's the best thing, Jake. So I'm proud of you, man, I'm happy for you. All right, all right. This is from Brett subject line Stepdad at nineteen. I'm twenty two now. But when I was nineteen. I met a girl on Tinder and went to her house one night and just kind of never left and started living with her whoa. She had two toddlers, two and three. She was also still marry, but they separated only a week or two before we got together. I paid all the bills and cleaned the house as much as I could, but lo all got to be too much after about a year and we broke up. Worst part is our husband moved into the same apartments as us a few months after we got together, and their relationship was just more toxic. One of the worst years of my life. Ten out of ten. Wouldn't recommend. I think that you meant to put zero out of ten. Wouldn't recommend. Ps please put this on the podcast if you read it. I work crazy hours and won't be able to watch the stream. God damn, that is a crazy story.
Speaker 2: My friend.
Speaker 1: You just winter house and you never left. Wow, a forever tender date. If this wasn't one of the worst years of your life, I would I would think that that was kind of romantic actually, but no, it's probably not.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're out of there. At least Brett keep keep keep keep doing your best, keep your best.
Speaker 2: Holy shit? All right, all right?
Speaker 1: This next email subject line solo travel advice. Hey Geck, my name is Colin and I'm twenty three years young. I got my first big boy job this year, and with that comes PTO. I want to do a lot more traveling. The only place I've ever been outside the US is Canada. Exotic, right, I firmly believe traveling is a salient component of experiencing this thing we call life. However, I have no clue where to start. Do you have any advice on solo traveling, such as types of activities to do, how to find places to stay, communications and countries that don't particularly speak English, etc. I know you've spent a lot of time in Japan recently, and that's my number one location, but I'm so bad at Japanese. I love your show, been listening for ages. Keep up the great work.
Speaker 2: PS.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the name Colin? I think it's very unique. The name Colin is not unique at all.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I had to be brutally honest with you about that, but yeah, I know a lot of Collins, not personally, but anyway, anyway, Okay, let's okay, let's talk about what the actual email is about. Yeah, I mean I can talk a little bit about solo travel. Maybe maybe we can end this episode by talking about some solo travel shit. I will say this, if that's your number one location, go there first, right, go there first. If you're asking me, like, where is the best place? Well, okay, it depends, So let's let's talk about this. I don't really know which kind of solo traveler you are personally. There's there's like two kinds of solo travelers, right. There's like solo travelers who when they say solo travel, they mean it right. They just want to like go to a foreign country and do shit alone and like eat alone and go see attractions alone and just fully honestly have a trip alone. And then there's people who solo travel specifically to meet other people. And those are the people who stay in hostels and go on the big group guided tours and go to the meetups and try to meet people and like the whole point of traveling alone is to like get into adventures and meet new people. And you know, purse, everyone's different personally. The ladder is the kind of solo traveling that I like to do, especially when I was in younger and you know, yeah, I mean that's the kind of solo traveling that I like to do that I think is rewarding and fun. I will say Japan, and some people might not agree with this, Japan is probably not the best place for that kind of solo traveling. The best place for that kind of solo traveling might be like Europe or you know, you can go to Paris or Italy or Amsterdam is fucking great for that shit. I had a great solo travel experience in Amsterdam. But again, if your number one location is Japan, then you can still go there and you can still meet people and do things. So let's see, you asked me a bunch of specific questions. You were like, how to find places to stay? If I were you, I'm gonna give a shout out to hostileworld dot com. Hostileworld dot com. Uh, and you can find these hostels right where it's like you have one bed in a room full of a bunch of beds, and oftentimes the accommodations.
Speaker 2: Are pretty fucking cheap.
Speaker 1: They're pretty fucking cheap, and the best part is that you will be in a room with a bunch of other people and there might be a common area, and a lot of these hostels, especially the more like party hostile, solo travelly advertised hostels, they they are kind of like geared towards people who are traveling alone and trying to meet people. So a lot of times they'll put on dinners or they'll put on events. And so if I were you, I would go on hostile world dot com and search for like Tokyo and see if you can find the kinds of hostiles that put on events.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Japan is very like known for that kind of hostile. I've stayed at hostels in Japan before and they weren't as socially oriented as some hostels that I've stayed in in like Thailand or Europe. But if Japan it's just like the place you want to fucking go, you should just go because the cool I think for you, the thing is gonna be like you're gonna show up and you've never left the country before, You're gonna show up and you're just gonna be like, oh, I gotta walk around. So when it comes to like types of activities to do, if I were you, I would just like like book your fucking flight, book your fucking hostile.
Speaker 2: And uh uh I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go scour the internet or scour TikTok for like the best things to do. I would just like pick neighborhoods and start walking around them, you know, for Japan, for Tokyo, I mean Akihabara or Osaksa or shibuyash and Juku. You just fucking show up and just walk around.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Uh If you can meet some folks in your hostel who want to walk around with you and eat with you, that that would make the trip a lot more fun, I think. But part and then you wrote about communication and countries that don't particularly speak English.
Speaker 2: Part of that. That's part of the fun, right, that's part of the fun.
Speaker 1: So Japan is less of a country I think, where you can get away with not speaking English. Europe everyone fucking speaks English. But Japan is a place where, like you have to you should know, like you just go if you're gonna come here, like go to YouTube and just search like like a ten basic phrases thing, right, learn how to say like thank you, excuse me? Can I have this right, and when you show up, you're gonna feel sick. There is no it's really if you've never experienced before, like just showing up alone in a foreign country and speaking like one phrase of Japanese and getting a sandwich, it's a feeling like no other. It's a feeling like no other. So, honestly, Colin again, I don't really, you don't really. Yeah, my advice to you would be, you know, hostile world, go and find a place where you can stay in kind of a collective living situation to increase the chances that you'll meet new people and have a more adventurous experience. Right, So yeah, that would be my number one thing. But honestly, the number one nist number one thing is to just fucking go. And you're doing it already, so that's I mean, that's the biggest thing, is to just fucking go. All right, folks, that was gek mail. Thanks for being here, thanks for listening to me do this. I'll be back to taking calls in a bit.
Speaker 2: I just needed a bit of.
Speaker 1: A break from taking phone calls for now, especially while I'm still out of the country. But I'm coming back tomorrow and I'm excited to be back in the in the good old United States of America. Say what you will about the good old United States of America. But you know, you might go to a Foreay and this maybe this is more things to say to Colin, but it's like you might go to fucking Japan and be like everything is more affordable and they have trains and it's so everything's fucking beautiful and amazing and crazy, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: But you know, at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: The place to go is wherever the fuck your friends and family are. So do that, well, not you, Colin. You go on an adventure.
Speaker 2: Anyway. I don't really know what I'm talking about anymore. I'm gonna end the show and.
Speaker 1: Go go sit in silence.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for listening.
Speaker 1: Please go to my If you live in New York City, please please please. If you live in New York City, go to the episode description and sign up for a text alert for my art gallery. I'm doing an art exhibition in Bushwick, Brooklyn on March fourteenth, and I would love for you to show up.
Speaker 2: I am. It's called Lyle Forever Presents.
Speaker 1: Trash from around my room, and it'll be really fucking stupid, so come through.
Speaker 2: Have a fun time. All right.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for listen to this podcast. Good luck, get bless see you all in another life goes on the line taking your phone calls every night. There Be Can goes doing his hide.
Speaker 2: He's teaching you
Speaker 1: A loud in the mid of your life, but he's not really an expert.