Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to OOKF Daily with Meet Your Girl Daniel Moody. Pre Recording from the Home Bunker, Folks, I'm taking a little bit of a respite as we prepare to barrel into the Democratic Convention at the end of this month, but as always, I'm leaving you with some juicy episodes to dig into. Coming up. On today's episode, I interview my friend and friend of the show, Jennifer Tobb, who is, as you know, a law professor. She is the host of Morning with Jen on the Mary Trump Network. She is also the host of Legal Nerds on the Mary Trump Network and is just a mind that I love to tap into. And on today's episode, we discuss the momentum that is the vice president's campaign. At the moment of this recording, we do not yet know who the vice presidential pick is, but we are talking about all of the people powered calls and organizing that it's happening at the grassroots level that are bringing in millions and millions of dollars for the campaign. And Jen joined two of the calls and gives us some insight into what is being said, how people are feeling. But her and I for the first time in a very long time, talk about this little thing called hope, this little thing called excitement and faith that we are feeling in this very moment, and hopefully by the time that y'all are listening to this, that feeling is continuing to roll in. So coming up next my conversation with the incomparable Gentile Friends. Whenever I get to chat with our friend friend of the show, gent Tobb, I am always always so delighted and grateful. You know her. She's a law professor. She's the author of Big Dirty Money and Other People's Houses. She is also the host of Morning with Jim on Mary Trump's new network, Mary Trump Media. She's also a nerd Avenger, which I am so happy to say that I am also a nerd adventurer and the host of Legal Nerds. I mean, you're giving me a run for my money. I was supposed to be the one with the most podcasts and shows and now you have seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to cut back, but you know, it's like potato.
Speaker 1: Chips, just keep eating them, just keep getting shows. So, Jen, since the last time we spoke, dare I say we are in a better place as Democrats. Dare I say that we may be feeling a bit more hopeful than the place we were several weeks ago when we spoke. Let's start off. You tell me how you were feeling since the seismic shift in our election cycle, with Joe Biden making the courageous and brave decision I think, to step aside and his vice president Kamala Harris taking the reins. It has been, you know, just a short period of time.
Speaker 2: Days.
Speaker 1: Yes, at the time of this recording, it's been eight days. How are you feeling.
Speaker 2: I tend to traffic in metaphors when words don't suffice to describe something as seismic as we're going through, and so it reminds me of the Hollywood film classic The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy exits the world, you know, the black and white world in Kansas and steps into technicolor. I mean, this is emotionally feels like an awakening. Of course, you know, you were and I were going to support whoever was at the top of the Democratic ticket, and I was someone who would say, no, it's not lesser of two evils. Joe Biden's had an incredible record, and that's true, but I also know how people operate in the world who aren't in the Amtrak don't live in the Amtrak corridor. And now that I'm back in Michigan, I get that people live their lives and not everybody is fully focused on things. And the drama of Biden stepping down and endorsing Kamala Harris the energy and expertise that she brings into the conversation, and it's sort of like the opposite of PTSD. It's PTJD post wait, PJTD post joy, I do, can't do it whatever. It's the reminder of joy we all feel like two thousand and eight, and more so because it feels like maybe if we can actually do this, we're still moving forward. And Donald Trump was that last gasp, and not the authoritarian movement that's, you know, the right wing, white supremacist authoritarian movement that is kind of sweeping the globe, like maybe we are going to be like France. Maybe we are going to be like the UK that's rejecting Brexit now and so on and is now moving left. But we don't know. So most of me is filled with joy and hope while also knowing that the stakes have not changed. And knowing that we have a dangerous, lawless, rapist, fraudster who has before instigated insurrection using the violence of mobs, does not want to lose, So I don't know when we get to exhale. So you know, it's like I feel filled with joy and at the same time, my stomach is still in knots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that I feel the same way, and you put good imagery to it, because you know, I tell my listeners all the time that I walk around with a mustard seed of hope, right, and that what has happened over this last several days is that that seed has multiplied one hundred times over in a way that I never thought would happen. I have been talking on WOKF and other shows about just how devastated this country will be if Donald Trump takes the reins again and never lets go. And what we just saw recently with his interview with what's her name ingram over at Fox is even when spoonfed the right thing to say, did you really mean Donald Trump to tell Christians that if they vote in this election, they'll never have to vote again? Is that I don't think that that's what you meant, But that's what you know the lefties are saying. And when spoon fed, Donald Trump spit it out and said, nah, that's what I meant. They don't ever have to vote again. Everything will be fixed and it'll be good and they can just go back to their lives. And so it's hard to find joy when there is so much on the line. But somehow Vice President Harris's juxtaposition of the healthscape that Project twenty twenty five and Donald Trump want to create and her idea of freedom, her actual video Beyonce soundtrack of Freedom attached to it just presents like air at a time when I think that we were gasping.
Speaker 2: I mean that is true. I mean I was thinking of the visual, but you are also talking about the physical right and it feels it feels not just like being able to breathe, because I'm someone with asthma and so I know what you mean, but it also feels like the weight you know that metaphor the weight lifted off of us. And the other thing I have to say, no matter what happens, what I have seen in the last eight days from Joeteika Edie, someone who was who should be better known, who wasn't as well known in the mainstream press, who is organized and started a group called a Win with Black Women. How she just jumped right in Sunday night organized a zoom call, which it basically cut the path. You know, it just created this momentum the same way that we I was talking about today on Morning Jen. You know, it's this way that I know everyone says, you know, social media and Twitter isn't the real world. But in a way, this is like the first kind of meme YouTube, Twitter kind of fundraising campaign effort like shed you know, because people know each other, because she probably knows Shannon Watts from her organizing work with Mons Demand. A lot of trust has been built up across communities over the COVID era. Over people have learned to trust people they don't know, and so pretty easy to reach out to Shannon or for Shannon to reach out to her and say, like, how do we do this? How do we build on what you've done and acknowledge what you've done? And then you see all these other groups doing this and it is really important. And yes, you know, we're not solely the identities the various intersexual identities that we each have, but sometimes that's how we are cut up demographically for voting purposes, and the reality is it is true when we look at who actually if we want to elect Kamala Harris, where we have to bring up the numbers voters have to turn out, but we also have to convert people from blindly voting for Republican Canada because they believe these false stories. And you know, I think that organizing. You know, I've been on a lot of the calls. I even last night was on the white Dudes for Harris call because my sort of way of moving about the world is sort of like a white male more so than a white and that's hard to It's not my gender identity, but it's just I don't always fully identify with the same struggles that white women go through. Like I'm not one of the you know how people in the call were saying, and if you listened in on it, like, hey, we white women are sometimes you know, staying silent because it's easier, and I'm like, well, that's not me, you know what I mean? So if anything, I'm the sort of like the interrupting male who doesn't let someone get in a word in edgewise or or whatever it is. So for me, it was nice to be on both calls right because I think I have, you know, white female privilege, which is very different than white male privilege. And I also think that voting wise, I vote more like women who are going to be more likely to support Harris than I would like like a man. But at the same time, the energy very different energy from the calls. Loved them both for different reasons. Anyway, I just I don't know how I got down this path, but I feel like, well, I guess what I'm saying is to hear white men, to see black men say we're support Harris, to see men people identify as male to say this woman we want as our candidate, and to put their time and their money behind this. I mean, that is something in my lifetime I'm not sure I expected to see, and it feels so f and good.
Speaker 1: I want to, you know, remind folks that joeteika Edia, as you said, launched these efforts, these calls that have been popping up every single day, multiple a day, happening with different identity groups, starting with black women, moving to black men that was led by Roland Martin and Bacari Sellers, moving to white women answer the call with Shannon Watts, and then down the line Southeast Asian women, Latino men, white dudes. All of those things have been happening. The queer call has happened, a disability call has happened. And to your point, Jen, when you say, you know, we are the intersection of so many different identities. But I think that the power in identifying in a way that polsters identifies what do the white women think, what do the rural people think? Right? They pull out these characteristics and then they wrap stereotypes around them, and I almost think that these calls help us reclaim pieces of those identities that have been flattened in our political discourse and really put some weight and energy and death, which is needed because voters are not one dimensional, right, So talk to us Because I have interviewed Shannon has been on this show throughout the years, and I've always enjoyed our conversations and think very highly of her, and so I knew that if there was going to be anyone that was going to pick up the baton that Joeteika was holding, it would be Shannon. Talk to us about some of the things that were talked about that you learned on that white women answer the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I think that I maybe I'll talk about three different things. I mean, the first thing was immediately recognizing that Joe Teika did the first call, right, because we've seen other things like the Me too movement. Oh yes, I mean, you know, we've seen movements started by black women be co opted by white women. Whether intentionally or unintentionally doesn't even matter. We've seen so much of that. So you know, it started out with the designation, the recognition. And I think also what I noticed, I'm just trying to remember how to choose my the things. What I what I noticed is, gosh, it was so great to hear just different people say it. And I'm thinking it was Glennon Doyle who said it, but that hey, are we doing this? Are we calling ourself white women?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: That's something. You know, there's a generation, a couple of generations above us, maybe you know, the older baby Boomers or the silent generation, where white people were trained to pretend they were colored blind because to designate, first of all, not even to see whiteness as a race right or as a category, but also not to really talk about race, because if you did, then you were trying to harken back to hierarchies that you pretend don't exist anymore. Right, So everyone on this call was so beyond that, like, we get why we're together. The call was open to everybody, but we I think that everyone who spoke spoke from a place of saying I guess the subtext was, this isn't the same feminism that used to be. Like it really felt like, how do we you know? I remember taking women's studies classes years ago and feeling like, wow, the women's movement has always been fractured, you know whether it was and I don't. There's so many waves of women's movements. But thinking of like you know, the Betty for Dan kind of saying when her whole book of like, you know, women should be able work. It's like some women have.
Speaker 1: Been a right, have been forced to work.
Speaker 2: They're forced to work, and they're working in your home and they don't get to take care of their own kids. And what is women's work? Just like what is a black dot? But this stuff is really super complicated. But everyone I felt like on this call had been there, done that, and we're so glad to be together to say, hey, let's recognize that we're not all in the same place. Let's recognize that, you know, white women have access to other white women, to white men to actually have these hard conversations. I love Glennon Doyle saying something which may have upset some people, but it made me so flip and happy. She said, you know what, guys, don't go write some postcards. I know postcards supposedly change votes. Great, but what she was saying is, instead of going out and sending a postcard to some person in a different swing state you don't know, do the harder work of getting on the phone or being face to face to one relative or one friend that you know is planning to vote for Donald Trump. If you can change that one person, you've changed the world. And there were at one point because they were actually trying to zoom people and not just putting them on the YouTube. And you know, there were over one hundred and fifty thousand people on that call. If all of us just converted one person in a swing state, we've done. And so again, I don't want to belittle people who write postcards because that's how you want to do it, But do the hard work of telling people why we need to support Kamala Harris, and it felt like that. It also felt like and there were some people in this I did not resonate for me, but I think it resonated for others. And it was Glennon whod said this sort of like that. Well, maybe I don't know, it's not true. I think it does resonate in some way that we are so acculturated and we are raised. And I don't know if this is true for people who aren't white, but for women to not have anyone be unhappy with you and so you don't being liked, being considered polite, not being confrontational is the way that people get by. Again, you know, me, that doesn't really fully fit me, but again I have to recognize that's where most white women actually exist. Yeah, right, in being a white Jewish woman, maybe that's different, right, Maybe we're more in your face. I don't know, but I heard it and I and it makes me understand better how to deal with other white women. And maybe I shouldn't come on so strong. Like when I deal with men generally in my life, it's sometimes easier to deal with them because you can just be in their face and just say shit, Like maybe I feel that way about about you two. But I have noticed to cunder Green Vine like one of those old old women's studies classes where no one wants to interrupt everyone ever and saying I'm sorry. And the call felt a little bit like that, But at the same time it felt incredible because we raised on that call and afterward like eight million dollars. Oh the other thing I got called out, not directly, but indirectly. I was like, trying to donate right link isn't working, and so we're all like texting people or saying on you know, like I did a mess at DM too while she's trying to run the flip and call to Shannon saying, you know, we can't donate because of course I don't want it to fail because people.
Speaker 1: Don't doing it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're like, you know what, guys, everything doesn't have to work out. Stop, you know, don't cry about the fact you know there's no manager to call. Just wait and donate, you know what I mean. And so that felt okay, I don't know, I mean, I felt overall, it felt good Again. Doing the hard work is harder for me. It's easy for me to go on Twitter and mouth off or go on my show and say something. Having the conversation with a person I can think of that I need to have this conversation with in a swing state to get her to vote for Harris. That's, you know.
Speaker 1: Because that's putting something on the line. Do you know what I'm saying? Like, that's having a stake, that is a personal stake in this election and in these conversations, And I think that too often. The reason why I was like, yes, Joe Taika, Yes, like you're leading the way and all of these people are recognizing and uplifting you because I feel like lessons have been learned since twenty twenty, lessons have been learned since twenty sixteen, and people, particularly white women, who gained in numbers for Donald Trump from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty, which was like, what the fuck? How does that happen? And so I feel like there was some deep personal responsibility, but also some really I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of deeper excavation. Yes, it felt that way of just how misogyny and patriarchy are so deeply intertwined and in bed with white supremacy right, and that these things are not siloed things, and so it is about an ideology that has been fed since birth on how to act, how to show up, how to not take up too much space, how to you know, align with your man, how.
Speaker 2: To trust men to make the decisions. Yeah, I mean what, it's really hard, Like our minds are even co opted in such a way that even lying lying is like like in other words, women could can go into the voting booth and vote for Kamala Harris and if their husband asks, they can say, oh, yeah, I voted for Trump, but they we wouldn't as a white woman, to do that would be tantamount to setting fire to your house, Like we are acculturated that we don't even You're supposed to be a good girl, right and you can't taking that step, you know, is hard. And I think I think in my conversations and maybe other white women might do this is say to someone I know, like I know a lot of people who will not vote for Trump, but they say, well, I'm not going to vote for Biden or I'm not going to vote for Harris. And what I want to say is to these folks, especially to other white women, is would you do this for me? Would you do this for my daughters? Would you do this because I'm terrified about where things are going? Would you trust me because I was right before. I told you before that they were going to put these justices on that overturn row versus weight, and you told me no, you thought they would. Those justices were telling the truth, and they did. Could you trust me this time around? Like, how do we crey to people? How are you going to feel the day after? If I'm right this time and he starts literally rounding up millions of people and putting them in camps, there's no going back there. So take a chance for me, you know. And I'm trying to figure out those conversations to have with people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that you know, one, it's just so important because we're taught from a very young age to be polite, don't talk about politics at the dinner table, don't talk about religion. And I'm just like, and these are two fundamental things that make up who we are, that make up our character, right, whether or not you subscribe to a religion or not, whether or not you have a political affiliation, but there is something and if we learned how to have hard conversations with each other. Then a Trump would have never existed in the first place, because we would have been able to talk about this in twenty fifteen. And so last thoughts to you, Jen, which is you've said at the top, this feels like two thousand and eight but different. Do you think that in the next ninety some odd days that we have the ability to do the impossible again? That this isn't just a flash in the pan because we're just excited in this week, but that something really does feel different.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's two things that are critical. One is, don't let anyone take away from us the they're weird and creepy message that resonates so much for people you say, oh, asoritarian or fascist. Most people I know, you know, not that. People who listen not you, and I they get you know, you say to somebody, it's really weird, it's really creepy that they want to monitor people's periods, that you know that every woman's eyes are going to pop open on that, that they don't even think there should be an exception for rap or incests because carrying your rapist baby to term, that's a mere inconvenience. When you say this, it blows people away, and so I know, more intellectual people are worried that we shouldn't say words like creepy or weird, that we should be able to give a twenty point policy treatise. It's that's not how how it works. People don't want to you know, the whole way I want to have a beer with him, I don't want to be in an elevator with him. Is also a way to get someone not to fucking come for somebody, come on, I know yep, okay one and two my older you know, I don't name someone, but I have young people in my wife and they you know they're age is because they're young, But it's more like, why are these old people who older than my grandparents running the country. And so I don't really care who Harris chooses. We've talked about that before. You know, I was leaning toward Tim Walls, but a lot of people like Josh Shapiro because he seems like a young go getter. I don't know about the whole you know, stuff about Gaza and how that's going to counterbalance with the young voters. But you've got to be thinking about those flipping young voters because they're excited right now, they're interested with what's going on with Harris. There's a new Harris here instead of calling her a cop. I think people are kind of understanding her record a lot better because they not smearing her with some things. And also, I mean, I could go on and on of a why I love her and why she's so much better than Trump, But we're talking about coalition. We are a coalition, So I don't know. I think creepy and weird will win the election, and I will go to my grave on that point.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Jen, we will have you back a number of times as we count down the less than one hundred days until the election, and you know, let's continue the excitement and more importantly, let's continue the conversation. Always appreciate you, my friend. That is it for me today, dear friends, on Woke a f as always, Power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.