Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of Is This a Great Game?
Speaker 2: Or What?
Speaker 1: With the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkchhin, Dad, good to see you, and today is one of my most exciting days of the baseball season. It's the Field of Dreams game. This is exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wish I was heir Jeby. I've never been to Dyersville. It is my never been there. It's my favorite movie. It's my favorite movie of all time, and I've never been. This is embarrassing, but I've never been assigned it and I've just never found the times. And it's a shame because I love that movie. I've seen it a hundred times. It's about a father and a son. I took my dad, your grandfather, to see it and we both cried out loud. It was absolutely fabulous. It was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, it's my all time favorite movie. It's my favorite baseball movie, obviously, and it's such a special day. And this year the team I call mine, the Phillies, are playing in it, so it's really special. I mean nothing, nothing will beat the very first game they did their nationally televised I mean, chills up and down. I mean, Kevin Costner, it was just incredible, so powerful. So I'm really looking forward to taking some time to sit down and watch this and taking some baseball in a way that I mean, really only the movies could show. And it's magical.
Speaker 2: Then, and just to show you how magical, I got a text message from our dear friend Eduardo Perez in like the middle of the night the other night. Is it have a catch or play catch? That was the question he asked me, which I've been asked multiple times, just not from Eduardo in the middle of the night, So there's no wrong answer here. But if you're asking me you play catch, you don't have a catch?
Speaker 1: I would agree you want to play catch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go play catch.
Speaker 1: That one of the most lines of all time, feel to dreams, Hey, dad, want to have a catch?
Speaker 2: Right? And I think I think the story is that Kevin Costner said to everyone, I'm not going to say that, that's not what you would say in that situation. You would say, do you want to play catch? But they insisted and he said it, and he pulled it off and it was great. And I was deep in tears by that point. Okay, because when he's standing out there and you know, shoeless. Joe looks at him and goes, no, Ray, it was you. That was it for me, Jeff. Whenever I get a little bit down, that's what I watch, and that little scene there is my favorite.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get it clear. I mean, if you were talking the ghost of your father, you would probably stumble on your words too and maybe not get the right saying out. So let's give him a little bit of respect. Maybe we'll just have to get Kevin Costner on the show in order to figure all this out. He would be a great guest, big baseball fan, start in a number of amazing baseball movies. So want to get him on. Is this a great game or what?
Speaker 2: What do you think that stuff? You'll be booking that one. Okay, I'll start. You have a way better shot than I do. And Jeff, we've said this before. The reason that movie was so great and Kevin Costner is so good in Bull Durham, this movie and any other baseball movie is he's a baseball player, right. He can swing the bat from both sides of the plate, He's got a really good throwing arm, he looks athletic, he looks because he is a baseball player. And this is as the biggest snob in the world me when it comes to baseball movies, if you're gonna have a player starring in a baseball movie, the number one prerequisite is not whether he can act or not, is whether he can play or not. And Kevin cost is a great actor, but just as important looked. He looked like a real baseball player in Field of Dreams, Bull Durham and everything else he's been in.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, I think it's so important to have athletes or athletic looking people playing the leads in this. And you know who comes to mind to me is the rookie, right. I think Dennis Quaid is incredible because he had to learn how to throw and pitch with a different hand. How incredible is that? And he looks good doing it?
Speaker 2: Right, That was amazing because you know, I've said it a million times. If I start, I could dribble a basketball and shoot a basketball with my left hand, because I've practiced it so many times. But that's the only thing I can do with my left hand. And for someone to change a throwing motion that late is just just amazing, incredible. So that's all. And speaking of incredible, Jeff, we have to bring this up. This is more than a takeaway that play. The other night in the ter Red Sox game. We have Jason Stark as our next guest. He's going to be on on Tuesday, and the entire interview with him, Jeff, we've already taped. It was just how crazy the game is and every night you go to the ballpark you might see something you've never seen before. I have never seen anything quite like that situation. Let me quickly set it up for you. First and third, one out, routine fly ball to the center fielder. The runner around first forgets how many outs are runs the second, the runner around third doesn't know how many outs are He runs home the ball. Brett Bateman, the center fielder. I'm not sure he knew how many outs there were because he caught it and just kind of lobbed it into the infield. I'm not sure who on the field knew how many outs there were. But the bottom line is they got a double play at first base to end the inning. But because the runner on third scored before the third out was made at first, that run counts even though the runner on third did not tag up on that play, and since both teams left the field, the way it was explained was the Blue Jays abandoned the right to have a you know, an appeal play at third because they'd all already left the field. I mean, Jeff, I'm sorry. You know how I feel about base running in the major leagues and how our players today are bigger, stronger, faster and better than ever, but they don't know how to play as well as they should. And that was amazing to me that nobody on the field knew what to do. Let me, let me tell you what would have happened if cal Ripken just to mention almost most the shortstop on that play, he would have been screaming to the center fielder, throw it to third, or throw it to me, and I'll throw it to third, because all you have to do is throw the ball to third. There tag the base, and the run around third is out. It's a double play and the run does not count. But nobody knew where to throw the ball, am I am I being a little too critical here, Jeff that how in the world can major league baseball players not know the situation? I granted it was confusing, but it's not confusing if you just throw the ball to third and the third out is made. Am I right or wrong?
Speaker 1: Now, Dad, You're definitely right. The emphasis on the rules of the game and the fundamentals, if you will, and the mental side of the game has definitely fallen a bit short as of late. We've seen it all of the time. I mean, we see it when Aaron Boone. You told us that Aaron Boone told his team to occasionally drop an infield fly because you never know what the runners are gonna do. They could think that they have to move to the next base you get an out, and then all of a sudden it happened to his team. The other team dropped the bombits running.
Speaker 2: I'm opening day off. It happened to him, and we were doing the game. Rabbi Eduardo and I were doing that game on TV remotely, by the way, and the next day Aaron Boone called me on the phone to apologize to me. I'm not sure why, just because he was so embarrassed that his own team did not know the rules of the infield fly rule. But in this case, you know, people were confused. How many outs were Jeff, and I know it, said on the scoreboard there are there were two outs. But the lesson that has to be learned here because it's nobody should be looking at the scoreboard. No player should be looking at the scoreboard to see how many outs are, because you should know how many outs there are without looking at the scoreboard. Am I right about that?
Speaker 1: That feels like a Little League issue when somebody's little brother is running the scoreboard and forgets to add how many outs there are, and then the center fielder whose glove is sitting on top of his head because he's so bored and he's picking flowers in center field all of a sudden makes a mistake that seems like a twelve year old problem.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, Well that just something. It's a little late, Jet, but I have to weigh in on this because I've just never really seen that before. And that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, we got to talk about the elephant in the room real quick. We're matching. We're wearing the same shirts today, that which is just gonna be hilarious on our YouTube. If you don't follow us, make sure to subscribe, like comment all the things at great Game or what we're growing our YouTube following, So make sure to go see our matching shirtstat These shirts provided by Michael Golden, who created an album filled with baseball inspired songs. This is so cool.
Speaker 2: He's a songwriter. He's also a loyal listener and viewer of Is This a Great Game or What? So, unbeknownst to me, he just sent me two T shirts, one for me and one for you, so we are wearing those and just just another reminder, Jeff, how beautiful baseball is that Michael Golden just writes songs about baseball, and it's it's I've heard, I've heard them. They are really really good. And you know, maybe they're doing this about football, Jeff. Maybe they're doing it about basketball. But I just think there's such a romance to baseball that the other sports really don't have. Am I stating that properly? Dad?
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think there's nothing better than baseball when it comes to these things. And Invincible Summer, Michael Golden, thanks for the shirts. We love the swag, right, And that was.
Speaker 2: An incredible inning that they played in Toronto the other night. Not invincible, but incredible Again, Jeff, It's the best game ever, even when nobody knows how what he else there are right.
Speaker 1: The number of outs were invisible for most of the players. One.
Speaker 3: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we. They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 2: Krats?
Speaker 4: Well, I have it on right now, and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 3: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: All right, dad, let's jump into the takeaways across Major League Baseball. What do you have?
Speaker 2: Okay, Jacob Wilson is the shortstop for the Athletics, and he is the son of Jack Wilson, who's one of the better defensive shortstops that I've ever seen. Jack Wilson could really throw on the run. He could he threw from all angles, and he was a really good defensive shortstop. And his son just broke the record for most consecutive games one hundred and eleven played without an error at shortstop. Jow one hundred and eleven. This is This is not playing center field or right field where you catch a few fly balls with all due respect, this is the shortstop. Mike Bordick, one of our all time favorites, held the record with one hundred and ten, and just Jacob Wilson to one eleven and now one twelve at this taping, which is incredible. So and just for a little bit of context, CJ. Abrams, who plays for the Nationals and by the way, has ninety one RBIs at this taping ninety one for a shortstop. So let's make sure everyone is clear that CJ. Abrams is a really good player. But during the time that Jacob Wilson has no errors. CJ. Abrams has thirty two errors in that time. So it just gives you an idea how easy it is to make an error when you are fielding that many chances during the course of a game, and during a stretch of one hundred and twelve games.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you've mentioned a number of times that that the skill of the shortstop might make it the hardest. If you're the best defensive shortstop in the game, you might be the best defensive player in the game given the difficulty of the position. So I definitely agree with where you're going at.
Speaker 2: That right absolutely. Okay, Well, good for Jacob Wilson. And we love defense. It's my favorite part of the game. I can watch middle infielders take infield all day because the skill required and the athletic nature of our middle infielders is just breathtaking to watch. Kind Of on the opposite side, I still don't understand this. Cal Raleigh of the Mariners who hit sixty homers last year, he hit eighth the other day, and sorry, he should be hitting eight at this moment. Cal Raleigh is hitting one fifty nine again. Just all this is pointing out Jeff, is the degree of difficulty of the game, which we do all we talk about all the time. So cal Raley has not yet qualified for the batting title, okay, but he's gonna have enough at bats to qualify for the batting title here any day now. And he's hitting one fifty nine. The record for the worst batting app by a majorly qualifier since nineteen twenty, when the live ball era began is one sixty eight by Chris Davis of the twenty eighteen Orioles. So cal Raley one year after one of the most magical seasons that we've ever seen, maybe maybe the greatest season and catcher's ever had, maybe, and now he's hitting one fifty nine. How do we explain that?
Speaker 1: We can't? Dad, And I mean you can only think of it as a sophomore slump. I know it's not, trust me. I know it's not his second year in the league. But the point is he had such a high high and then he comes off of that thinking it's going to be easy and the pitchers are only throwing harder and only getting better. I mean, every team has a guy who throws easily over one hundred. Remember back in the day when having a guy who hit one hundred was like the biggest deal. You had the one guy in the league that could do it on the regular basis. Now everybody has one.
Speaker 2: Right and nobody throws harder than Jacob miss Rowski, who just Jeff recorded his two hundredth strikeout and he did it in one hundred and twenty nine and a third innings. Think about that for a second, one twenty nine and a third, two hundred punchouts, and it's it's not even the record for fewest innings pitched before you get to two hundred strikeouts. That's why Spencer Strider won twenty three and a third in twenty twenty three. That was the previous record. Mislerowski is second on that list. But Jeff, again, he didn't throw a hundred. He throws one hundred and four. He's thrown at a hundred and five, Jeff, it's and he throws a million strikes. So kudos again to Jacob Miserowski. We haven't seen too many players quite like him and Jeff back to back to cal Raleigh for a minute. The guy who beat him out for the MVP last year was Aaron Judge, and I think rightfully. So I thought that cal Raly had a more historic season, a more amazing season. But I think Judge had a slightly better season and should have won the MVP, which of course he did. But and I just saw this note from the Elias. In the sixty games that Judge has been out, the team has hit too eighteen with a two point eighty five on base percentage for a sixty game stretch. This is the Yankees, Jeff. Those are the two lowest numbers over those sixty games in the major leagues this year, during that time, and it just shows you how great airon Judge is. And when you take a star player out of the lineup, you know things are going to you know, you know you're going to struggle. In fact, this is the lowest on base percentage to eighty five for any sixty game period by the Yankees since nineteen sixty eight, Jeff. And that was the year of the pitcher. You know, when Bob Gibson had a one point one to two e and the American League batted two thirty three and the Washington Center is my team hit two thirteen. Nobody was getting to hit in nineteen sixty eight. That was the last time that the Yankees had a sixty game stretch with a non base percentage that low. That was the last year that Mickey Mantle played. That's how long ago that was. So I mean, I say all this because it just shows you how good Aaron Judge is. Am I right, he.
Speaker 1: Is, and he makes the people around him better. I think that's the sign of a really good leader. People are, you know, rising up to the Judge all rides. And I think he does make a big, big difference on that team. And so, I mean, the Yankees struggling second half of the year, We're going to see how this goes, especially with a Rays team that has been just quietly in a week al but just quietly maybe the best team in the American League besides the Red Sox as of late.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, right and Jeff again, the beauty of baseball, that's what we love to talk about here. The Tigers. Tigers traded Trek Scooble and Casey Maiz. Arguably they're two best pitchers, and here they are making a charge for the division, but certainly for the wild Card. They've won at this writing, at this taping, eight out of ten and three games in a row. They now lead the American League in run differential at plus eighty nine. Troy Melton has been great nowhere runs in his last twenty innings. Jackson Job is back. That guy is really good. He's coming back from a major injury. But Jeff, this is what the Tigers did two years ago. They kind of unloaded at the trade deadline and then they made a surge and made the playoffs and then beat the Astros in a playoff series. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, incredible. And I think it's so important to have somebody on your pitching staff that just knows their job. And that's Jackson Job. Sorry, I had I know you are taking notes during that, but just know your job and you'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: Right, Just do your job. That's your job. Yeah, that's right, right, that is so good. I'm sorry, Jeff, I'm writing something down you're right for you want quaking news?
Speaker 1: Is there something you can break for us?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you what the breaking news is later, and you're gonna laugh out loud that this is my definition of breaking news. I'll get to it at the end of the Quark Gins.
Speaker 1: Coming up next here on It's just a great game or what the breaking news and the quark gins next.
Speaker 3: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea Geek.
Speaker 5: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees red sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here and as the penachases really heat up, go to SI can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 3: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sekeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: In our matching t shirts let's hear the cork gins dad, what do you have?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I love this Cody Clemens, who's not out of nowhere. He's been around a while, but he's really become a good player for the Twins. He hit his twentieth homer the other day, so he is. So he and his dad are the only father son duo in which the son hit has a twenty homer season and the dad has a twenty win season.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And we talked that Bobby Bobby Wit junior, they had fifteen homer fifteen win seasons fer In Law and vance Law fifteen and fifteen, but Cody Clemens got twenty. So now we've got a father son with a twenty win season and a twenty homer season. Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I always wondered what it would be like to have a dad as a pitcher and you become because you get to see the other side of the game through your dad pitcher. Does that make sense? Like when you have a dad catcher son catcher, dad first, baseman son first, you're like, okay, dad taught me the position, but now they're learning the different side of it. So you think, right, there's a mental game to those two sons I think that other players don't have.
Speaker 2: Would you agree, Yeah, there is no doubt Cody Clemens is a better hitter because his dad is one of the greatest pitchers of all time. And you watch your dad pitch, you learn how he pitches. He tells you what he does in certain situations. And I'm positive Cody Clemens goes to the plate and says, well, this is what my dad told me about this particular count, this particular situation. Look for this and it's helping him and he's a good player. Now, absolutely, ok, Jeffrey, back back to Jason Stark for a minute. He alerted us to this that lazarro Estrata of the Blue Jays. You remember, and this will run on Tuesday when we have Jason's interview, which was just tremendous. But lazarro Estrada had a win, a save, and a loss in consecutive appearances, which came on three consecutive days. Now again, jeff these guys are only pitching an inning at a time, but it's pretty amazing. You get a win, a save, and a loss in three straight days, and the last time any pitcher did that. I'm a little surprised it was this recent. Philm Mayton did this in twenty twenty three where he had a win, save, and a loss all in three consecutive games played on three consecutive days. Pretty cool, huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I love that, Jason. If you want to have the ultimate nerd off, it's Tuesday on. It is just a great game or what? Right out of the gate? My question is how did both of you get to this point of being this beautifully in love with the ins and outs and the nerdiness of baseball? And he had a great answer. It's so great, Jason Stark, long overdue on our podcast. Make sure you hit subscribe and follow wherever you're listening or watching right now so you don't miss that great interview next week.
Speaker 2: Okay. Jeff blake Snell made his return with the Dodgers made his second start of the season. Blake Snell has incredible stuff. His combination of change up, slider and curveball that matchup is virtually unmatched in Major League Baseball. So his first game off the disabled list injured list, he struck out ten. So he is the sixth different Dodger to strike out ten batters in a game. This year. Does that sound like a lot to you? Six different guys?
Speaker 1: Again, because you strike out ray four good starters, right, maybe five if you're lucky. And so to have six guys strike out ten, that's incredible, right.
Speaker 2: So, and again with the way we use our bullpen, relievers can get ten strikeouts in a game because they don't start the game. They come in and relief and they're the you know, we have an opener and then we got a guy who throws seven innings after that. But it's the fourteenth time, Jeff, that a team in baseball history has had six pitchers strikeout ten or more in a game in one season. The last teams to do it were the Rays and the Rangers in twenty twenty three. But only one team has had seven pitchers strike out ten or more in a game in one season. That was the nineteen to six seven Cleveland then Cleveland Indians. Sam McDowell, Louis tian Sonny Seabert, Stan Williams, Ed Connolly Junior, Steve Hargan, and John o'donahue. Seven different guys on that team struck out ten or more. Guys Pretty amazing. I love those names on that list because again Jeff sixty seven sixty eight. It's all the same era where nobody gets a hit during that time because it's so hard. And Louis Tiana we talked about last week, had unbelievable stuff. And Sam McDowell was just a strikeout machine in his career.
Speaker 1: Which is interesting because around then you were ten years old, born in fifty six, and when I was ten, I was in the height of the steroid era. Really, so very different experiences you and I had in the game when it came to that age of our life, right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Jeff, I was watching a game when I was a kid, I was probably ten, and Sam McDowell's pitching against the Senators, my team, and he couldn't get Frank Howard out, so they took Sam McDowell off the mound and put him at second base with two outs in the eighth inning. Because when you take a pitcher out, you can of course leave him in the game. So they got the fire. They got Frank Howard out to start the I mean to finish the eighth inning, and Sam McDowell came in and pitched the ninth inning and finished the game. But the amazing part, and I still can't believe this. There was a ground ball hit, There was a run around first when they brought Sam McDowell in. There was a ground ball to the third baseman, and instead of throwing it to first for the third out, he threw it to Sam McDowell, a left handed second baseman, for the force out at second. I still can't believe I saw that that simply would not happen today, Jeff. But back then, crazy things like that happened all the time. All right, Jeff, I need your help on this. The winning and losing pictures, so the pictures of record in the Reds Nationals game the other day, or Brady Singer and Will Dion, so the it was singer Dion. Does that ring a bell at all to you?
Speaker 1: Singer Dion?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily right now. Now, look, I don't know anything about music, Jeff. We've been over this, but I do know that Dion and the Belmonts.
Speaker 1: Were a oh yeah, okay, no.
Speaker 2: Singer Dion, right, and I looked it up since I have no idea who the Belmonts are, but Dion Demussy d I m U C C. I sorry if I butchered that name. Join the Belmonts and that's how they became Dion and the Belmont. So we had a singer Dion or Dion singer. I like that.
Speaker 1: That was a good one, Dad. Anytime you can work a music reference and it's impressive for you.
Speaker 2: So this is the breaking news that we have during the course.
Speaker 1: No way, I've been waiting for this that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Our our friend Jeremy Tasha wrote me this morning and he he told me something I already kind of knew. But he said, in the Padres Brewers game, we have Robbie Ray facing Dustin May, so we have a Ray against May. So he was at least wondering, have we ever had a three name? I'm a three word, three letter last name, face a three letter last name, but he expanded it to and both of them and in a y. Yeah, they rhyme. So I don't know about the rhyming part. But I actually checked with Frank for the Eliaz Unders just no, just to see how unusual this is. Look, I'm I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Key faced Rudy May in a start in the eighties. I'm pretty sure that I'm not sure, but we'll see. But Frank writes back that We've had three of them this year. You had three. They're not Ray and May, but Anthony K faced Griffin Jacks, Brian Wu faced Shane BoSz, and Shane Boz faced Griffin Jacks. So we've had this is the fourth time this year that we've had a starting pitcher whose last name is three letters face another starting pitcher whose last name has three letters that, Jeff, that is what you call That's that's our definition on this ridiculous podcast to Breaking News Greed.
Speaker 1: So Jeremy Tash, friend of the show and member of the Dan Levitard Show, also friends of ours, and I'm just really glad to hear that that was something he was asking you and not an argument on whether or not they could get a bunt down against Garrett Cole. Garrett Cole, listen, nobody. These are major league players trying to get a butt down from time to time, and they can struggle doing it. You're telling telling me you're gonna turn your face towards a guy throwing one hundred and one miles per hour right at your face, know what.
Speaker 2: Look, we know how much I love the Levatard Show. Those guys are all hilarious, but this is at least five years ago. They just called me and asked me, we all think we can get a bunt down for them, And I had to tell him, you guys are the stupidest people I've ever met in my life. You have zero chance to get a bunt down against Garrett Cole in a major league game. You guys are radio show host, your podcast host, You're not major league players. I hope I didn't hurt their feelings.
Speaker 1: I don't think you did, but I do think you put them in their place. And as they know on that show, we never like to make Tim Kirkshon angry, but when he gets angry, it's the most beautiful calm anger I've ever seen in my life. All Right, Dad, let's move on to on the state and based history.
Speaker 2: Okay. In nineteen seventy nine, lou Brock got hit number three thousand. Lou Brock is one of the you know, he's a Hall of Famer, the second most stolen bases of all time, and Jeff, we talk about among the kindest people we've ever met in Baseball stan musical Bookshobinson, lou Brock is right near the top of that list. And we've told the story many times about when you met him in Cooperstown at the golf you know, pro shop, and he gave you twenty minutes of his time. It was like nothing I've ever seen. And he looked at you that day you were like ten years old and said, you have a great smile. Always use that smile. Nothing, nothing disarms a person more than a smile. You remember that day, right, Joe.
Speaker 1: I remember it like it was yesterday and I had just gotten off the course after shooting one hundred and twelve. I don't know why I was smiling, No, just kidding. I do remember that, dad, and I do think. I think about that always as I was growing up. You know, it's such a great way to introduce yourself as to put a bigs on, and it's disarming in a beautiful way. It makes others feel comfortable. So I'll never forget that.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff. On this day in nineteen forty, Tony Klooninger was born. He was a very good pitcher, and in nineteen sixty six he became the first National League player to hit two Grand Slams in one game, and to this day he remains, of course, the only pitcher ever to hit two Grand slams in one game, and Jeff, it still just amazed me. A pitcher did that. And Pete Rose had one Grand Slam in his career, Derek Jeter had one Grand Slam in his career, and so they had as many combined with all those bats as Tony Klaninger had in one game. Pretty amazing. And Jeff, this is why it still bothers me. The pitchers aren't allowed to hit because amazing things like what Tony Klininger did. We're probably never gonna see anything like that again.
Speaker 1: I mean, we love Miles Michaelis coming in and pinch hitting. We want to say more of it. Let's go, come.
Speaker 2: On, I kind of like it all right. On this date, Happy birthday to Mark Lemkey born on this date in nineteen sixty five. Really tough, little hard nosed second basement from Utica, New York. And Jeff, he still holds the Major League record for most played appearances in a career three thousand, six hundred and sixty four without ever getting hit by a pitch, which and again, he's a switch hitter. Switch hitters usually don't get a hurt hit very often. Mickey Mannlo we've already mentioned in this podcast. He only got hit thirteen times in his career. But Mark Lemkey never got hit in his major league career. I want to ask him, did you get hit in the minor leagues? He goes, yeah, I got hit plenty of times in the minor leagues, just not in the major leagues. That amazed you, Jeff, that many played appearances no hit by pitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hey, that would be the kind of career I would like to have if I ever made it to the base. No, thank you want to get hit right.
Speaker 2: I just wrote a story for ESPN dot com just about how they hit by pitch rate today is historically high. Guys are standing on top of the plate, wearing armor, pictures throwing one hundred and two, don't know where it's going. Leads to this, this guy never got hit by a pitch. So cool, all right? Special birthday also nineteen eighty three Dallas Braiden. So happy birthday to Dallas Braiden.
Speaker 1: We love him.
Speaker 2: Not too many not too many people have made laugh quite like Dallas Braiden. But Jeff, when we had him on the podcast, did we laugh for an hour? Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: He is one of my favorite guests we've ever had. He told us some crazy stories. Obviously, his incredible Mother's Day story was the the reason why we had him on. But he told us about his beef with a rod. He told us so many about about Reptile World or whatever it was, and will.
Speaker 2: You got trapped in Reptile World and they said we'll get an uber there in four hours.
Speaker 1: He said, four hours, I gotta go to work.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. And again I think we started that interview, Jeff, with my one of my bobblehead collections. There's me, next to me is Dallas Braiden, and next to him is do you remember Walter Johnson. Obviously yes, so Dallas thought that was the greatest juxtaposition ever. The three of us lined up and Jeff, what is the distinction? What does Dallas Braden have over a perfect Johnson? Yes, every time I went to Walter Johnson, Hey, yeah I knew that. Yeah yeah, So, yes, Dallas Braiden threw a perfect game and Walter Johnson didn't. And that's just the beauty of baseball. And last one, Jeff, and this is a sad one, of course, on this date in nineteen ninety five, Mickey Mantle died. Now, let's be clear, Jeff, Mickey Mantle is one of the greatest players of all time, greatest number seven ever, greatest switch hitter ever. And if he hadn't gotten some knee issues, there's no telling what he might have done, because during the prime of his career five maybe a little bit more, he was as good as Willie Mays. And Willie May is the greatest player I've ever seen. So let's not ever forget how great Mickey Mantle was. And I told you, Jeff, I was in spring training in the long, long time ago and Mickey Manna was doing a bunting drill, showing everyone on the Yankees how to drag a bunt to first base, which I always thought was like, so cool. Here's a guy with well over five hundred homers and he was teaching everyone how to drag a bunt left handed down the first base line. Pretty cool, right.
Speaker 1: The dragging of the bunt is an art form, absolutely to be able to figure that out, it's really a difficult skill.
Speaker 2: And Mickey Manner was one of the best at Rod Crew. Of course, Brett Butler, those are the among the best bunch I've ever seen, so as a tribute to Mickey Mantle, we are doing the All Mickey team as Team Tim this week. Our catcher is Hall of Famer Mickey Cochran. Our first basement is Mickey Vernon, who was really really good second baseman former Philly Mickey Morindini, Jeff, do you know his distinction beyond being a really good player and the tough guys you'll ever meet, and one of the key guys on a Pennant winning team for the Phillies. He had an unassisted triple play.
Speaker 1: He's in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right, Mickey MORENDI and he unassisted triple play. Is the second baseman. Mickey Klutz is our third baseman. And it's spelled k l u t ts. But and I hope I'm not making fun of anyone, because that's not the point. Mickey Klutz got hurt all the time, okay. And I always thought it was kind of interesting that a guy who spent a lot of time on the injured list, the disabled list whatever we called it is, last name is Klutz.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Klutz's It's it's up there with Bummer and Falter, right, all the difficult names of baseball and Scott blew It. That's one of our favorite Yeah, Scott.
Speaker 2: Blew It's all good, beautiful baseball name. So our shortstop is a reach, but it's a reach on purpose. Mickey Stanley is our shortstop. And Mickey Stanley was really a really good defensive center fielder for the Tigers. But in the sixty eight World Series, they took their center fielder and they played them a shortstop in the World Series instead of Ray Oiler, and they won the World Series with a center fielder playing shortstop because Mickey Stanley was such a great defender he could handle shortstop having played even though he was technically a center fielder. All right, our outfielders are relatively easy. Mickey Mantle, of course, Mickey Hatcher, one of the great characters of all time. Dodgers all that, and Mickey Rivers. Jeff, do you remember any Mickey Rivers story that I told you over the years, because I've told you, Benny.
Speaker 1: How much money did he ask you for during spring training eighty two? How much did you say? Two thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mickey Rivers and spring training nineteen eighty two, while he's making four hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year ask me if he could borrow two thousand dollars. I was making eleven thousand dollars at the time, and he's asking me for two thousand. Mickey was an all time favorite of mine. One of the bets our two pictures. One is Mickey Welch, who's in the Hall of Fame, and our other one is Mickey Lohlich, one of the most underrated pictures in Major League history, one of the very few left handers to ever strike out three thousand batters in his career. And speaking of the sixty eight Tigers, Micky Lolige won three games in the nineteen sixty eight World Series as the Tigers roared back to beat the Cardinals four games to three. Mickey Lolis really underrated pitcher, Dad.
Speaker 1: That is an excellent team, Tim of all team Mickey, which is great, right, although I think you're missing one important one, which is who is the mascot?
Speaker 2: Well would have to be Mickey Mouse, right.
Speaker 1: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: Oh Mickey, Yeah, pretty good. I don't think I've ever heard you do that.
Speaker 1: That's all I can do. I can do. Oh boy, I'm Mickey Mouse. That's all I've got. The alphabet, Dad, this is going to be a troubling one. Last names starting with you. We need a pitcher and a position player. The greatest of all time would last name you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there were only seventy players in Major League history whose last names started with you. But Chase Utley is the greatest position player ever with the last name starting with you. Now, I consider Justin Upton, who hit more home runs than anyone in history with the last name starts with you. Of course, his brother bj Upton was pretty darn good, Dan Uggla and a few others, Willie Upshaw. But I'm going with Chase Utley, who I think is going to be in the Hall of Fame in a couple of years. As we talked about last week, just went on the Phillies Wall of Fame. Nobody played the game more correctly than Chase Utley. Nobody played the game harder than Chase Utley. And even though the numbers aren't overwhelming, I still believe he was the best player on those really good Phillies teams that were really good for quite some time. He taught those guys how to win and how to play the game properly. So he's my you good choice, Jeff, What do you think?
Speaker 1: Well, he was just honored as well, and I think he's going to be a future Hall of Famer. I think Chase Utley is by far one of the most underrated second basemen to play the game. He's a leader in the clubhouse. I think it's a great, great choice for.
Speaker 2: You, Okay. Pitcher was much harder. We had Ugi or being out, we had Koji Uehara, we had a few others, but I went with George oohl Uhl. Now, he pitched from nineteen nineteen to nineteen thirty six, and he won two hundred games, so I think by definition we have to choose him. He had a twenty six win season and a twenty seven win season. He's not a Hall of Famer. Two hundred wins is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you had two seasons of more than twenty five victories. So that was the best I could do with you. That was tricky because you know, we got to go way back, and I don't pretend to know a whole lot about him without looking up some stuff.
Speaker 1: Dad, I think you has proven to be a really, really difficult one. I know you have more difficult ones down the road as we wrap up alpha best by the end of the season. But uh, you you did a great job on you see what I did there?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, and you're right, Jeff. When we get to X, we're gonna have to go with first names only when we get to X, because we're not gonna there's no one the last name X. It's ever played in the major leagues. Okay, Jeff, Last thing for today?
Speaker 1: What do we got three cards in the bathroom? Dad?
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 1: Let's pull those cards out and you're gonna riff off of what you found here we go, right, Jeff's Ballard. I covered Jeff Ballard when he played for the Orioles. He was a Stampford guy, soft throwing left hander, very good Major League pitcher for several years. Really really smart guy and just another guy Jeff who understood.
Speaker 2: What you know the world around him. I used to write this Sunday notes column for the Baltimore Sun. It was my favorite thing that I did in all my years at the newspaper. I would write it every Sunday and I had a little segment Jeff called is this a great game or what? And that was the little box that I had of all the fun kind of cool things. So one day Jeff Ballard struck out Don Mattingly three times in one game. I believe at the time he was the only pitcher ever to strike out Don Mattingly three times in one game. And the next after the game, Jeff Ballard walked by me and said, Sunday note, like he recognized that I was going to tell everyone because all the writers exchanged information. Peter Gammon's Jason Stark and I, we would do this and tell us the best stuff we got from our team to help out with their own Sunday notes. So Jeff Ballard was smart enough to know that was a Sunday note. Very cool. I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh I just got chills.
Speaker 4: That was neat.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, second is Starling Marte. And I'm by this for a while there. Jeff, for at least a couple of years, or maybe just one year, he was the leader active leader in triples with fifty five. That's the active leader. Never forget Jeff Babe Ruth hit one hundred and thirty six triples in his career. The active leader for when Starling Marte. This was like a year, two years ago he had fifty five that was the most, and Mike Trout now has fifty five. But Corbyn Carroll of the Diamondbacks, who is a triples machine, is now the active leader with fifty six triples. He just passed Mike Trout and Starling Marte on the active list for triples. So I just pulled this guy out, thinking, well, what am I going to say about Starling Marte? And there's an actual triples note. Pretty cool for Jeff. I was also intrigued by this. In the year two thousand, I'll never forget this, Christian Guzman of the Twins had twenty triples and he had more triples than the home run leader on his team had home runs. Now, how unusual do you think that is, Jeff, that the triples leader had more than the that could never Well, it's not going to happen this year.
Speaker 1: It's not happening this year. Might have happened one hundred and fifteen years ago, when the stadiums were so big and people were only hitting eight home runs in a game or in a season.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, Corvin Carroll has thirteen triples. Cotel Marte on his team has twenty one homers. So I don't see that happening this year, But Jeff, I was amazed. Six times since nineteen sixty one has a triples leader had more triples than the home run leader on their team, And the last time it was done was by the Mets in twoenty eleven, Jose Reis had sixteen triples and Carlos Beltron hall of Famer, had fifteen homers. Wow, so's that's way more then you thought it would be, right, I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was gonna easily be nineteen twelve where Mordecai three finger Brown v. Spazzy Davis.
Speaker 2: Pretty good, Jeff, all right. Our last one is Dwight Evans. Dwight Evans is a borderline Hall of Famer. He's one of the greatest defensive right fielders I've ever seen. He had one of the greatest throwing arms I've ever seen. And one year, Jeff he let off a game the first pitch thrown in the baseball season. He had a home run off of Jack Morris on the first pitch thrown in the baseball season. And years and years later I did an opening day with Ravi and Eduardo in Florida and Ian Happ hit the first pitch of the game for a home run off that Urania guy. So it was the first time since the first pitch of the season had been hit for a homer and that was by Dwight Evans and then many years later by Ian Happ then of the Cubs.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool, Pretty cool, Pretty cool. I like that a lot, Dad. This has been a full force episode here. I mean, I feel like for a little while, with the trade deadline and a whole bunch of things moving, we have been all over the place. But we're finally kind of back into the swing of the second half of the season, and this is an exciting time for Major League Baseball. Oh and I can't get over it. Feel the dreams tonight. Right, if you build it, he will come right or as I say in my household, if I build it, she will come knock it over. My daughter if you build anything with her blocks or her bricks, if you're trying to like have some fun on you, and she goes, can I knock it over? And I'm like, oh, okay, go ahead, go ahead. Dad was working hard on a castle, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, I just did a puzzle yesterday with your nephew, your godson, Carson, he's five. He was way better at putting the puzzle together than I was, and we were so proud that we got it done in a relatively short amount of time. And then as I took a picture of it, which I think I sent out to the family, and as soon as we were done with the puzzle, he like broke it into a thousand pieces. Well, what would be the point there? Is that? What kids do? I forget it?
Speaker 1: Well, you can't do the puzzle again if it's not taking apart. But I guess they don't enjoy you know. I was the kind of kid who when I would have a Lego set, all I would do is I'd put it together and then I would try to find a corner of the house to put it in so nobody could ever touch it. I didn't even like playing with him, because I liked seeing my work in front of me until neighborhood kids would come over and blow them up. That was a very emotional day for me. Another story for another time. Never we'll have Hogwartz back again. But besides the point any.
Speaker 2: Jeff, just to finish, Jip, you talk about how we're in the stretch run. This is the best part about baseball. The last six weeks of the season, Pennant races who's going to make the playoffs, who isn't. And then we get to October, so trade deadline's over. A bunch of things have happened here all Star Game. But now comes the real fun part. Because we are in the stretch run of the season. I can't wait to see who makes the playoffs and who doesn't make the playoffs. It's gonna be so good.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Don't forget to like, subscribe, follow, leave a comment, a rating, all of that good stuff. We'd love to hear from you. Thanks for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.