Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Masser and Tim Stenoveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: It's one of the most read stories on the Bloomberg terminal. It's about how Jenai is transforming retail investing. It's enabling individual traders to build and execute institutional grade quant strategies that have once been reserved for major Wall Street hedge funds. Bernard Guider is one half of the duo behind this story. He's US Options reporter for Bloomberg News. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Broker's Studio. Congratulations on the story. I'm struck by all of the individuals you highlighted in the story because there's this pattern that has emerged. They were doing one thing before they quit that job to vibe code or create some sort of AI solution to trading that they think can get them of salary. How are they doing it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it. It's really indicative of that broader trend in retail investing we've seen since the pandemic, with people putting aside what they were doing before and jumping in and trying to make a living out of trading, really, and these are some of the more professional side of the retail investing world. I think we often like to characterize retail investors as having this really high risk appetite, But if you're doing this as a job, actually your risk appetite is going to be pretty low and reasonable. So I think one of the guys had he put five percent of his portfolio into this kind of magic money machine that's trading for him. Somebody else was doing one trade a day on robin Hood, but it was an agentic AI, and he goes and does his day job in it and lets this thing in the background. He'll get a notification on his phone sometime during the day being like your trade went through. And that's just the way these people are doing. I mean, there's another guy who's got to stop loss at ten percent once his portfolio. Once his position drops by more than ten percent, that stop lost kicks in automatically. And that's the same as if you were in a seat at a hedge fund. It's a similar kind of system. And I think what the AI has done is it's grabbed all of that information and from all of the best practices across Wall Street and is now giving that to ordinary people.
Speaker 4: So right, I think folks have always tried to kind of crack the code right of what goes on at some of these elite firms and these hedge funds. But AI has given them a tool that's getting them closer to it.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 3: But bear in mind that this is giving people the same kind of tools that maybe Wall Street had eight years ago, which probably means that Wall Street is way, way, way further ahead of some of these people. But it definitely makes it definitely makes it more viable to try and execute trades automatically using AI, and more and more people seem to be taking that on. I'm Vlad the CEO of Robin Hood posted that one hundred thousand people had plugged into their Argentic AI system. They're one of the brokers that offers this is.
Speaker 1: Other brokers operate apart from Robin who you read about, Futoo Holdings, Moomu Public Holdings all rolling this out. Are there notable holdouts of retail trading firms or firms that are popular with retail traders are that are saying no to this tech as of now?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't I think some firms are more cautious, So traditionally Charles Schwab is generally on the more cautious end in terms of in terms of this stuff, they do have API technology you can plug into, plug a system into Schwab, but in terms of like enabling people to kind of trade automatically through AI, I definitely point to them. And the big one is really the banks.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 3: People will use their use that the brokerage that they're bank owns to trade through, and those really aren't offering that at this point. They're still kind of pushing people towards more traditional wealth management services.
Speaker 4: I mean, is this the you know, we always talk about financial disruption, right, We talked about fintech and all these different things. But I feel like, is this the thing that really disrupts kind of Wall Street and trading as we know it.
Speaker 3: I think that's what some people in the industry would like to think. So Anthony Dennya, the we Will president, was quoted in the story as saying, this is zero commission two point zero.
Speaker 1: And I thought that was a remarkable thing for him to saying, because that changed for trading.
Speaker 2: It completely revolutionized it.
Speaker 3: So there is a I think it's I think you've got to kind of separate the people that are very much keen for just trading to happen. And Matt Levine makes this point in today's newsletter as well in Money Stuff, that there's a lot of people who are incentivized just to have loads and loads of trading happening, and they don't really care what happens to it. I think it can have a big impact. I think it's easy to overstate what AI does, but I think ultimately one of the big changes could actually be the business model, because ultimately the payment for order flow, which is this idea that you can get free commission free trading, and marketmakers are happy to get that. The more sophisticated that these retail traders become, the worse a business proposition it becomes to trade against them, and that could actually change the economics of some of the payment for order flow models.
Speaker 1: I'm laughing when you mentioned payment for order flow, because it was just what five years ago at this point, that we were talking about payment for order flow every single day, and it was seen as a really pretty controversial way for us to be able to do free trades and essays as retail participants. Okay, so I want to talk Oregon.
Speaker 4: Say just one thing though, like if Wall Street's always eight you know, eight steps ahead or whatever it is, So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think Jane Street is doing this.
Speaker 4: So is it mean that the retail investor, Yeah, may have some fun and do well, but there's always there are still ahead wels Like how does that impact this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a great question.
Speaker 3: I would say that there are definitely there are definitely situations where Main Street is catching up with Wall Street. But ultimately, when it comes to market making, when it comes to the kind of stuff that Jane Street does and sit at our securities and yeah, Hudson River Trading in the equity market, Yes, those firms aren't many multiple steps ahead, and they're the main counterparty to retail in prediction markets as well. Now that in terms of Susquehanna is one of the big counter parties Jump Trading as well. So yeah, I mean retail is facing off against very very powerful professional firms.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is that.
Speaker 3: Retail has a lot more tools in their arsenal than they used to, Okay, to play this game, and maybe it's less of an unfair fight.
Speaker 2: Than it used to be.
Speaker 1: We're speaking with Bernard Goiter, options reporter for Bloomberg News. He joins us here on set in New York. Bernard, I'm wondering about and my question will show that I am not a vibe coder, but one question that I've had wants trying to be I'll get there one day. If if retailers, or if retail participants rather are using the same tools to create agents to do this work on behalf of them, does that mean that they're sort of making the same trades as each other and there's going to be like less of an opportunity for them to sort of find something that's unique to what they actually believe. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yes, it does.
Speaker 3: So there is this question of crowding of people going to make a load of the same same decisions. And funnily enough, that's also that something that happens on traditional markets with Wall Street, you see that with the pun shops all entering the same trades, whether that's equity dispersion trade is one example that very very popular trade that lots of the hedge funds all did at the same time. You have it with the in the treasury market. You have it with the with the basis trades between treasuries and treasury futures. So it's a common problem that exists, and maybe it's going to come more so on. But I think as long as as long as there are some as long as some people are bullish and some people are parished, then there should be enough enough kind of mix in there.
Speaker 1: It's sort of the same argument that people use about investing in index funds, right, or they're going to be too many index funds investors, then you won't actually see the daily movements. We have not seen that play out, and we still have pretty big daily movements in individual stocks. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like I think, you know, all right, so this is the way everything's going. I just think about, like, so what happens in a crisis or do we.
Speaker 3: One issue is that some of the model sets that people are using, they don't go back that far. So if you're trading zero day options, that's only really been an asset class that people have been trading in and out of since twenty twenty two, that hasn't really seen a proper bet market yet, So you could have a situation a bit like the run up to two thousand and eight housing crisis, where none of the models were trained on a scenario where house prices get go down in the same way. None of these models are necessarily trained in a scenario where share prices fall significantly and then and then stay there. So that's definitely a concern for people. But people often kind of are interrogating these models and asking the right question. But you've got to sometimes you've got to push it. You've got to push it to be like, hey, did you think of this kind of thing? Right?
Speaker 4: That's interesting I would imagine I would have thought that the models would be tested or they're getting there.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends there only is there only? It depends what data set it's been trained. Yeah, and it depends on what questions you ask it. You as a human ultimately have to be the one that interrogates it. You have to you have a human As a human, you have to say, Okay, what happens if there's a two thousand and eight style crisis on this on this kind of model portfolio, or on this on this trading system. So ultimately a lot of it still goes back to the decisions being made by the individual, but instead of it being a human kind of picking specific trade. It's more about designing a model, so your job becomes a lot more like a quant at a hedge fund and much less like an individual punter kind of throwing darts at a dartboard.
Speaker 1: You just very briefly you got to see how these models work in the real world and how these agents work in the real world. Is there how much further does it go in the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I was very surprised by how sophisticated these these these trading tools have become, and I think it will go a lot further. I think it's going to become a lot more mainstream, partly because one of the one of the downsides of trading is that it's very labor intensive and actually quite boring just sitting there being like, oh, it's hit the Bollinger band, Like that's not that fun for most people, like unless you're kind of a strange person.
Speaker 2: But I like the idea if I can if it's strange here, yeah, but you know, apart.
Speaker 3: From you know, because I'm sure a couple of our listeners, that's not actually that exciting.
Speaker 2: Whereas if you can.
Speaker 3: Get a lot of that boring stuff being done for you by an AI and it makes money in a safe way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's going to become superbul.
Speaker 1: You can go out and go for a walk.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you do right for a walk? Yeah, you're going you go and neicate you the real world.
Speaker 1: YEA touch good.
Speaker 2: They don't want
Speaker 1: Bernard guiter Us options reported for Bloomberg News.