Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Shoe, Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty and no He Armstrong and Eddy.
Speaker 3: The US response has increased intensity eight times as many targets were hit compared to the last time the US responded to Iran firing on ships in the Strait. The targets include some sixty Revolutionary Guards small boats. Sencom also says the strikes included defense systems, command and control networks, coastal radar sites, and anti ship capabilities. And we have video of the US strikes hitting in Bandarabas. Iran responded by firing into their neighbors Kuwait and Bahrain. The official Iranian news agency claims to have hit some eighty five targets in those countries. Details on the number of targets are not confirmed by other sources. But sirens sounded in Await and boff rang.
Speaker 4: No, this isn't a rerun. We aren't still on vacation and you're listening to old shows. We are back and this is new. We are back at war with Iran. It would seem Iran struck several ships in the Strait violating the MoU According to Trump, which he says is now dead. We hit ran pretty hard. I guess we'll find out how hard when we ask Mike lines here in a second. And then Iran struck the countries around them as they like to do. Where it goes from now, I do not know. Welcome Mike Lyons to the Armstrong Engetty Show again. Mike served with various military organizations in both the United States and Europe throughout his career. Got his degree from the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mike, what did you think of that? How big a deal was this? How hard to strike?
Speaker 4: Was this just a like a little love tap to let you know we're still paying attention?
Speaker 2: Or did we hit them hard? Yeah? Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 5: I've always thought that this has been the end of escalation management from the very beginning sort of. I published an article and were journal about that, and sent Com is reporting eighty targets hit with precision munition. So this is not a proportional response back.
Speaker 2: This is not a pit for.
Speaker 5: Tat what we had been doing good in the past, and so I think that that's a good sign. I do believe now it just gets back to you know, what are those targets. It looks like Iranian air defense systems, command and control networks, the coastal radar sites, those are so key. It looks like some of their anti ship messile capabilities now are more out in the open and around Revolutionary Guard Corps. I mean the small boat. You know, it just shows you the target rich environment. It is from a military perspective. When we stop, probably stops too soon, and it looks like our response back is disproportional.
Speaker 4: Well, Trump just said a few minutes ago, we're probably going to hit them hard again tonight. So you're saying there's plenty of stuff.
Speaker 5: To hit, Yeah, no question, And I think you know we were. You've got to figure out a way still to you know, make sure that it's it's not completely destroyed when the country's you know, when we finally move this thing forward. And so I'm for this, you know, this preparable deterrence going after some of their revenue capabilities, but not necessarily destroying you know, entire oil fields and entire things. But but there are quasi military targets that would make them very easy to repair when the time comes, but set them back when it comes to trying to raise revenue and things like that. So there's there's still many military targets to hit, many many to go after, and we're at the cleanup phase of that now, I think.
Speaker 4: So there was some reporting over the weekend that Trump had decided a while back we were going to use our military and force that straight back open, and Saudi Arabia talked him out of it.
Speaker 2: Uh So, I guess that still might be on the.
Speaker 4: Table if Iran's not willing to you know, stop firing on ships.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would really ramp up with our off tempo, the pace that our military is working. We'd have to bring maybe some more destroyers and cruisers into the into the region, even though we have three terriers strike groups right now that they're more focused on the aircraft and the carriers themselves. But that's you know, a mission that we could do. It could take months, but it means really softening up any of the coastal batteries that seem to exist that are there, the fact that they can get off any shots whatsoever, either using drones or any kind of you know, precision munitions to show they still have this capability.
Speaker 4: Well, Trump's over there talking to all the NATO leaders the big NATO meeting, and the NATO Secretary General said this morning that what the United States did was perfectly appropriate, had to be done, I mean, and that's not the way NATO's really been talking about this whole Iran operation the whole time. So is there any chance we get any help from any of our NATO allies on this at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, Mark Brute's influence on Trump, to me, is a masterclass and how to manage him? Right. All these other NATO leaders are just can't manage Trump, right. McCrone thinks he's smarter than him. You know. The Germans tried, you know, to be more technical. Let's say Keir Starmer. That's you know, he failed miserably. But I think I think Route cracks the code. He validates them publicly. As soon as Trump got on with that. The MoU Is over Route couldn't say it any quicker. I'm with you in the same breath, right, So very clearly he's because a Trump whisper when it comes to that. Now, the downside is that he's really only managing him. He's not, you know, maybe not advising him, but he at least speaks his language. He's not trying to be Macron, He's not trying to be some other UH leader that that's trying to be Trump's peer. He lets he lets kind of Trump be Trump. And I think from what we are right now, I think that's still a good thing. I think it's a good thing for NATO. I think it's going to keep you, you know, well in sant of NATO.
Speaker 4: Trump's talking as we're talking to you, so he's saying more things like we may put the blockade on the Straight of Hormuz back in place, so we might be back right back to where we were two and a half weeks ago by the end of tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the whip song is challenging to the military, going back back and forth again. The blockade just means repositioning some of those ships. I think most of the military community that I had spoken to didn't think we had finished the job, so to speak. We gave the president enough leverage to start to talk. I think he needed that for making sure that oil prices didn't go crazy, and he was keeping one eye on the politics of this. But I think those in the military we felt that it really wasn't finished that this campaign should have gone on longer than thirty seven days is really what it went on for. I should have went on at least forty five, even sixty. It should have had a better logical conclusion with a clear sign of the US victory.
Speaker 4: Well, the Wall Street journals reporting today is that they were making no progress whatsoever, like zero on the whole details around nuclear weapons, which was what the whole war was about. So which doesn't surprise me in the least. So, what's the worst case scenario? Worst case scenario obviously is that Oram gets a nuclear weapon, but we prosecute this war. We need to go forward and put pressure on us. What what should we watch out for that could go wrong?
Speaker 5: Well, you know that they had some kind of internal revolution and that you have this humanitarian crisis that exists inside that the country because it implosed United States gets blamed for that or something. I think I don't think we have to worry about. You know, there's potentially some of our military targets, but there's not a situation that I could see that we're in trouble now unless the Chinese decide to enter the fixture of they decide, which I think should have been part of the MoU anyway, I think that we should have made sure that no other countries were going to come in and assist a Ron. You know that that MoU is all front loaded for the Iranians. It was you know, all the all the United States activities were on the back side of it. We don't want the Chinese in there, we don't want any other countries in there, and we often need stronger Gulf states to make sure that they're focused on making sure we take this to the end. But but what goes wrong? I think the real the real challenge would be more inside of Iran humanitarian crisis. Ninety million people will have to feed and keep water, and if the Ranian government collapses, you know, how do they do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: So also part of the Wall Street General Reporting day was that Iran has gotten back a fair amount of their capability. Was that with the help of China and Russia, that they rebuilt all that stuff.
Speaker 5: I think they just basically took it out of the mountains, and they had a lot to begin with. And again from a scale perspective, they still can't deploy hundreds at a time. But when you have a lot when you sneak, you know, take a thousand rockets, let's say, or a thousand missiles and hide them in the mountains and hide them in places if you look at the geography of Iran, easy to do. And all that they're doing now is just deploying those that are out there. So that's where there's more targets for us to kind of go after. I think that's really what happened. There's no industrial capability to fix anything that's not really on the table. It's the fact that just shows you the level of ballistic missile capability. They always had tens of thousands of missiles that they had that had built them, been ready for the site.
Speaker 4: Are any of those countries surrounding around that keep getting hit by the Iranians going to finally like really join us in this battle.
Speaker 5: Well that's another great question. And you know, it just shows you how Middle Eastern politics are, you know more in some ways based on religion. A lot of it has to do with that, you know, the Shia Sunni divide that exists in that part of the world, and so that they you know, you can't change the geography, right, I mean, Katar and the UAE are doing what they can to avoid the straits, right. They're building tunnels and things like that, but they should have been building them before the thought he's already did that. They've got a pipeline going to the Red Sea. But the politics are just not what we're used to, and that they have to they recognize that there are what they are.
Speaker 4: Well, I have a feeling there's a chance we might be talking to you again later this week after a couple of more rounds of strug.
Speaker 2: Mike's in Iran Mike Lyons military analyst.
Speaker 4: You can follow him on Twitter at m A j is in Major at Major m Aj Mike Lyons, I go there whenever something happens to see what you thought about it. Thanks Mike, Thanks for av me the war's back on. I think clearly, well, let's play this just because we got a moment. Find my sheet.
Speaker 2: Here, play play forty two to me, I.
Speaker 6: Think it's over. I don't want to deal with them with this gum. You know what scum is there? Gum, there's sick people. They're led by six people. There's something wrong with them. They're cuckoo. Far as I'm concerned, it's over.
Speaker 4: That he was asked about the MoU, the memorandum of Understanding that you know, brought about the sixty day cease fire and they get their money back before we start the nuclear talks, which never happened. Shock shock shock. Trump's saying it's over. They're cuckoo, It's over. I hope he means it, because he says this sort of stuff about Putin or the Mullahs or the IRGC, and then you know, by the end of the day he'll say, no, he talked to do a guy, and he sounds like he's a it's really exciting.
Speaker 1: JD.
Speaker 4: Vans will come out and say, you know, it's really cool, is they they now understand that they've been doing the wrong thing all these years, which was just the lamest thing that has ever come out of Jade Vance's mouth. Oh, anyway, does Trump change his tune on this? I do not know if we'll have more on this topic a little bit later, partially because Trump's talking about it as we speak.
Speaker 2: So we got other.
Speaker 4: Stuff on the way. I want to get to we didn't play enough of the mom Donnie fourth of July address. I've got some stuff on exercise, a little more on that sleep study that I wanted to get to, so stick around please.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a game or a match.
Speaker 4: Do you called a soccer game or a soccer match or can you use both? Anyway, A number of people are calling it one of the best of those that's ever occurred in the World Cup. Yesterday, Argentina, the defending World Cup champ, was down to nothing at like the eighty minute mark. They play ninety minutes, which is way too many minutes for me. So I had heard that Argentina made a comeback in the last ten minutes, which they did. They came back and they won three to two, including their star player Lionel Messi, who's considered by many people to be the greatest soccer player of all time. And he's old now and he's this would be his last World Cup, so he scores one of the games. So I did watch in real time the last ten or so minutes of the dang thing, and it was very, very exciting.
Speaker 2: It was too nothing.
Speaker 4: Egypt, it was good about to pull off one of the great upsets in World Cup history, and Argentina comes back. But I got a couple of goal calls here for you they're both in Spanish. This one is from I don't remember what channel from this is from, but this is on one of the goals help us out. It's because they don't have other sports they care about in these countries that they get so excited. I mean, MESSI was just bawling like a child, just crying his eyes out because it would have been the end of his World Cup career had they lost, and it looked like they were going to lose, and they came back and won, and we just we have so many sports in year round and move from this and that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get.
Speaker 4: Excited too, But man, they act like their lives on the line for these things. And I still contend that if we cared about soccer and our best players played soccer, we would dominate soccer around the world. Can you imagine if Steph Curry had played soccer?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's ugly American talk right there. I heard this one.
Speaker 4: I like this one from Telemundo because the guy gets so excited he just runs out of gas.
Speaker 7: No Messy, right, are you okay? Sir Canino?
Speaker 2: See how emotionally good about this.
Speaker 4: It's a bigger deal to them than it is to us for whatever reason. Guy, Oh, it was exciting. Like I said, though I'm understanding it more and I'm able to watch it a little more. Oh I'm I did say earlier. So thirty three million people tuned into USA Belgium, which we lost.
Speaker 2: We looked horrible.
Speaker 4: Biggest US crowd for soccer ever in the history of the sport, thirty three million people. We got this text. Maybe the thirty three million people watching the soccer is a true barometer of how many people came into the country illegally when Biden was in charge. You might be right about that. Maybe that's just because we let in so many people from other countries where they care about soccer. I can't imagine myself watching the full ninety minutes. So it's just I I'm trying to buy into what I see about the poetry of the game and the rhythm that you get used to of the moving the ball up and down the field, and then the rare scoring moments being so much more important than in our stupid American sports, where you score every two minutes and scores no matter. Using their words, not mine, but I just haven't been able to get into the flow of the magic of the poetry of the game or whatever.
Speaker 2: It just looks to.
Speaker 4: Me like hockey on grass. Where So Argentina the defending world champions. So they scored two goals last night, and I think they've had ten World Cup games in a row where they've scored two goals or more, which is the all time record. Two goals in an hour and a half is just not enough action for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I'm not part of the TikTok generation. It's just I need a little more out of my sport. But anyway, that one was exciting and I watched it.
Speaker 4: And how many people are gonna watch now that the United States is out? I don't know if the ratings will drop of I don't know if I'll watch anymore. I suppose I will, or maybe I won't, or maybe I'll catch the highlights. So I want to finish up on the sleep study they had in the New York Times, combined with an exercise thing that they've got. This is all the latest information meta studies with many, many thousands of people. I really think this is valuable information worth hearing.
Speaker 3: Coming up, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: There's a new Dolly parton musical apparently is it going to be on Broadway about her life. I've always liked Dolly Parton since I was a little kid, But I feel like enough with Dolly Parton already. Just I don't know, she's the new Betty White. She's an old person that we're all supposed to just be enthralled with constantly.
Speaker 2: Eh, I'm not eight, non Dolly Parton. Just enough with Dolly Parton already.
Speaker 4: So I took a graduate statistics class many years ago in college, and luckily I had a very very good teacher who hammered the point home all of the time. He would hit you with a number, new study says, blah blah blah blah blah blah. Okay, let's think about that for a second. And he would delve into all of the reasons why the stat that came out of this particular study may be incredibly misleading. And he did that with everything that was like his main thing, which I think was good because Joe always quotes the famous Mark Twain saying about statistics, there's three kinds of lies, lies, damned lies, and statistics. Because it's really easy to tell any kind of story you want to tell with statistics for all the reasons we're about to get into here. But so I like doing that and I think it's helpful, and the media does a terrible job of that. Part of it is the clicks world, so that if you have a study that says, and we talked about this a couple of months back, because it was a New York Times article, swimming much less beneficial as an exercise than running, way more people die doing swimming as an exercise is running incredibly misleading headline. But that's all the further you get with most mainstream media coverage. They give you a thirty second version and then they move on and you're incredibly misinformed. You'd have been better off if you hadn't heard the story at all. We'll get into that particular thing here in just a little bit, but I started on the sleep thing last hour, and I wanted to pay that off. I like meta analysis, and this is what they are doing in the New York Times with this doctor over the weekend. That's when you look at lots of different studies or lots of different big studies, and you put it all.
Speaker 2: Together and you kind of go from there.
Speaker 4: As opposed to one PhD did a small study at a university somewhere and they can't replicate it, which is the sort of thing that gets repeated in the media all the time that stuff is practically worthless. These are meta studies, and with these metas studies, they found that the highest mortality rates were with people who sleep nine to eleven hours a night. Eight hours is not the magic number. Risk doesn't really rise much below eight until you get down to below six. You have to get less than six hours of sleep before you start to match the death rate of people mortality risk health risk of people who sleep nine to eleven hours, So between like six and a half and.
Speaker 2: Nine, it's all.
Speaker 4: About the same and it just depends on different people have different amounts they need. And this was good news to me because I get between six and a half seven. That's about what I live with. That's what I feel best with, and it says here that's perfectly fun. But when you're getting into the stuff I'm talking about on how you can be misled about these sorts of things is why do people in the nine to eleven hours a night category have worse health outcomes world There's all kinds of different reasons. Perhaps if you're sleeping that much, it's because you're depressed. Perhaps, if you're sleeping that much, it's because you've got some sort of injury or sickness that causes you to sleep that much. That has nothing to do with how much you sleep. It just it keeps you in bed a lot more. You know, it's pretty easy to imagine these sorts of things. But six and a half hours of sleep a night perfectly. Okay, there's one other number I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Hit you with in here, bah bah bah.
Speaker 4: Studies show an association between sleep duration and mortality. Often find that the lowest risk of mortality clusters around seven hours. So seven is more of a magic number than eight, according to this meta analysis. I don't know where eight came from originally, it's been around my whole life. I don't know who religionally decided that, but we really should throw around the number seven as the number that most of us need. You know, somewhere on either side of that, I need a little less. Joeways talks about he needs a little more, but it's.
Speaker 2: It's not eight.
Speaker 4: That's a little higher than we need. Now to the exercise stuff, which I thought was really really interesting. A review of a whole bunch of different tests averaged together many tens of thousands of people found that exercise lowered mortality risk by thirteen percent. I'm a little disappointed that it's.
Speaker 2: Not more than that.
Speaker 4: I wanted it to be more than that thirteen percent eight nothing, but it ain't size I wanted. But we talked about that swimming study that came out a while all back that found that swimming didn't lower mortality rates, but running did, and that was the headline everybody ran with. And then they went about a half inch deep and no more. As it says here by this doctor doing the meta analysis and using their brain to think about this, does that mean that swimming isn't effective as an exercise. No, it does not. When you look more closely at the data in the appendix of the study, which you know the CBS Evening News isn't going to do. They're just going to tell you swimming actually does not lower your mortality rate. Isn't that interesting? In other news Taylor Swift's wedding. When you look at the appendix of the study, which media I would stone apparently have time to do, swimmers were more much more likely to not engage in other positive health behaviors. For a variety of reasons, swimmers don't do the other good things you should be doing to lower your risk of.
Speaker 2: Death that runners do.
Speaker 4: For instance, only about five percent of frequent runners smoke. It doubles for swimmers. Twice as many swimmers smoke as runners. Right there, you're going to have a major difference. I was kind of struck by the fact that people that are regular runners, five percent out of them smoke. One out of twenty regular runners smokes.
Speaker 2: It's kind of surprising to me.
Speaker 4: For swimmers, it's one out of ten. Swimmers are almost were also more likely to have high blood pressure way more and to have a family history of cancer. One explanation is that doctors may recommend swimming as a low impact activity for people who are overweight or have other health problems. It's easier to do better for your joints and all that sort of stuff than running. So that's people that are less healthy to start with, so their risk of mortality goes up. That's just a for instance, And I would encourage y'all whenever you hear any of these statistics. First of all, if they give you the thirty to forty five second version of any statistic about anything. You gotta dig into it because you almost certainly were missing a whole bunch of context. I mean, I don't remember a time whenever I've dug into a headline story with a big shocking statistic where it doesn't turn out there's some explanation for it. Oh okay, swimmers smoke twice as much as runners or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is. Same with the sleep thing.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, you don't sleeping ten hours a day or nine hours a day isn't going to kill me. It's that people that sleep that much tend to have other problems.
Speaker 2: And see what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: So so I'm going to continue to sleep by six and a half to seven hours, and I'm going to continue to exercise.
Speaker 2: Oh, just in general.
Speaker 4: They have found, We've talked about this a lot, found that exercises that include short bursts of energy are really really good for us. For some reason, I guess that's the way we're designed. You know, you're walking across the serengetti as a caveman, and all of a sudden you see an antelope and you have to run really really fast and hope you hit it with this beer. That's what we're kind of built for. So those short bursts of energy are really really good for you, and all kinds of stuff around weight training, which I love doing, but weight training is so good for your brain, not just your body, but really really good for your brain and send some sort of signals apparently to your brain that we're still alive, we're still needed, muscles and brain are still needed, We're still doing something. I'm not still doing something, but it tricks my brain into thinking, so so it'll stave off dementia and keep you in better shape. Anyway, I hope that was of some use to you. I have a bunch of other stuff I need to get to. I can't wait to read this thing. Elon Musk said the other day about why America is exceptional, pushing back against Mayor Mamdani and his speech that he gave over fourth of July that America is not exceptional. If we are exceptional, we're exceptional in bad ways. So we'll get to a pushback on that at some point that I thought was really green, really good. Speaking of health outcomes, how about what you eat that matters a lot, and it's true for your dog too, and That's why we want you to try Rough Green sprinkle it on your dog's food. You do not have to change your dog's food. You can if you want, but that's not got anything to do with this here commercial. We want you to try rough Greens and sprinkle it on top of your current dog's food because this supplement, the number one dog supplement in America, is packed with live probiotics, enzymes of mega oils, over twenty vitamins and minerals, all natural, made in the USA, and it's not going to cost you anything to try it. Just cover the shipping. Get a free Jumpstart trial bag today go to Roughgreens dot com and use the discount code Armstrong. That's Ruffgreens dot com discount code Armstrong. Roughgreens make any dog food better. I will say this as a guy who currently exercises regularly, and I've never really had a time where as sedentary of my life, but I've had periods where I didn't exercise as much as I did now. And I know how hard it is to get started if you've been out of the groove for a while, it's really really hard to get started. But I can tell you once you get started, once you get going, it's going to be so much easier. You just got to make yourself do it, just like all kinds of other stuff we have to make ourselves do regularly, clean the house, whatever it is. I'm on a writing kick right now where I'm trying to write every single day and I'm trying to make myself do it, and I don't want to do it, and I'm hoping that if I make myself do it every day, it'll finally come naturally. Exercise is certainly worked that way for a lot of people. Enough of my preaching about that.
Speaker 8: I hurt myself exercising.
Speaker 2: Though always or just recently.
Speaker 8: Just recently, two days ago, I go to sit down in like a chest press machine, and I sat down on the chair and I'm about ready to lift the weight and I just pulled my head back and all of a sudden, I feel this pop and pulled it like a neck muscle or something.
Speaker 4: But so basically, just the activity of sitting down, you hurt yourself. Yes, you aren't even to the lifting weights.
Speaker 2: No, No, I had to get up.
Speaker 4: I think you need to start a lot slower if just sitting down is hurting you. Yeah, did you crack your head against the machine or no, I was.
Speaker 8: Just getting it into proper position. Is I did something with my neck?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 8: But it's just I guess part of being older.
Speaker 2: But what kind of gym do you go to?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean I would say it is sort of a family gym. I mean, you know, people of all ages. Yeah, I uh.
Speaker 4: I go to a gym where there aren't that many super studs there just every once in a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't need that kind of gym at this point in my life.
Speaker 4: It's just it's too much grunting, too many dropping weights.
Speaker 8: I can't stand that. Yeah, the guy that needs to show off for the whole gym.
Speaker 4: God, there's one guy that comes to my gym, and luckily I don't cross paths with him very often, but he has to just scream everything. He just all right, we get it, you're lifting a lot of weight. Good for you, But come on, dude, I mean, it's just it's comedic. It's like it's a Saturday Night Live bit. It's so over the top. And then he always has to drop the weights. He can't set them down clang by boom and good for you. He's one of the guys that wears the tank tops with the like the holes are really big on the side of the tank top, so it's like you're basically shirtless.
Speaker 2: He's one of those guys too good for you. And he smells horrible.
Speaker 4: You can you see he walks by and it's just a cloud of odor, screaming, dropping weights and you smell horrible. I have gone before where he's there, and I think I'll skip today or I'll.
Speaker 2: Come back tomorrow. I can't do it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I just saw something on the TV about Caitlyn Clark, the basketball player red an interesting piece in the National Review. I got to get to an hour three. That league is making such a mistake. Best thing that ever happened to the WNBA ever is Caitlyn Clark. They voted for players voted the other day for All Star. They voted her as the eleventh best guard. She might be the best player ever in the WNBA history. They voted her currently as the eleventh best guard in the league because they all hate her because she's white and she's straight. Really interesting story. Maybe we'll get to that inw ur three lots on the way, Stay.
Speaker 5: Here, Armstrong. Yeah, we just had a fireworks a plane built.
Speaker 1: And built to ten seventy six. Can you tell me if you had to, I guess any further information about the fireworks two hundred feed HL two to fifty AHL. But we just started to bang on the plane, so we'll have to take a look at I want to get to the gate, and we're just hoping it was just the mortar that went off underneath, but definitely felt the big bang. There have been multiple reports as you can imagine the city's are where. They said they would notify the Chicago police, but you know, I don't know what they'll do.
Speaker 4: So did the plane actually get hit by fireworks?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think of it by a mortar. They heard a bang on the plane. I think like a mortar hit it.
Speaker 4: Do they teach you at pilot school to be just extra monotone no matter what's going on as that? And I'm not even trying to be jokey or sarcastic here. I wonder if that's to deal with a crisis easier that no matter what happens. Go at the somebody shooting explosives as Roger Tower. We'd like you to know that if we could stop the explosives that are hitting the plane. We'd appreciate that click, just to keep things calm. They're always so monotone no matter. It's like the guy we had a couple of weeks ago, who actually is a friend of a friend of mine, talking about we have a family that was exposed to a bola on the plane, and just want to let you know we need to test them for a bola as soon as we lent.
Speaker 2: I guess they're just supposed to stay calm.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about the workplace violence training I took.
Speaker 2: Have you taken that yet, Michael, Yeah, I took that one. That's why you're not violent. Yeah, that's why you're so calm.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about the workplace violent training that I found quite hilarious. First this, we should talk to this guy. I co founded Wikipedia. Now I'm banned for life. This guy Larry Sanger. He and another guy started Wikipedia back in two thousand and one with the admirable, game changing goal of democratizing information. It's known as the world's greatest encyclopedia that has ever existed.
Speaker 2: Wikipedia. I know a lot of you have troubles with Wikipedia.
Speaker 4: I used to use it every day prior to chat GPT and Grock and Claude and all that sort of stuff. I used Wikipedia every day. I don't think i've used it since I started using chatbots. And we also knew it got biased, which is what this co founder, Larry Sanger says he started in two thousand and one. They wanted to democratize information and have all of it be out there and anybody could get it for free. But after Sanger left Wikipedia, he watched in dismay, he says, I'm quoting him as the site I'd created began to drift from its founding mission. Ideological bias took hold, pages were whitewashed, left leaning outlets came to dominate sourcing, and a small group of administrators grew beholden more to each other than to any constitutional framework.
Speaker 2: This is from one of.
Speaker 4: The guys who invented and started Wikipedia, who noticed that it started to slide left and they became all about trying to please each other rather than have, you know, uh, straight down the middle factual information. It reminds me of that saying, and I don't remember where it came from. I know our friend Tim Sanderfer has said it before. Any organization not specifically designed to be conservative drifts leftward over time, and I would say based on watching things, even ones that were specifically designed to be conservative, in some cases drift leftward over time. It's got something to do with the iron law, bureaucracy, and just whatever it is, everything drifts leftward. Last week, this original co founder of wikiped launched an effort to reform Wikipedia from within, only to be met with a coordinated effort to ridicule, discredit, and undermine him, culminating in a lifetime ban. On Monday, the guy who started Wikipedia with another dude got banned for life from Wikipedia, and he says, I knew Wikipedia's disciplinary processes were bad, but I had never experienced them myself. He He goes on to talk about how one of the miracles of the Internet age has abandoned truth and evolved into an emblem of our censorious age, and what his band reveals about the culture that allowed it. Guys started Wikipedia now says it's so off the rails that he tried to reform it he got banned for life. So well, you know, I wasn't using Wikipedia anymore, Like I said, I use chatbots for everything, and I'm pretty happy with them. Most of the time, but how long until they drift so far leftward that they're unusable like Wikipedia did?
Speaker 2: How much time I got my girl thirty seconds. I don't have much time.
Speaker 4: I'll have to talk about my violence training, which makes me very very angry later makes me want to punch a coworker. The fact that I have to put this off until hour three. We'll also get to that the way the WNBA is handling the best thing that ever happened to them, Caitlin Clark. And this is not a sports story. This is a cultural politics story. It's pretty darn interesting. If you miss that for some reason, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty