Speaker 1: Native lamdpod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome home. Y'all. This is episode seventy nine of Native Lampod where we give it to you straight, no chaser. I am here as your host and with my fellow co host, I'm Tiffany Cross here with Angela Rye, who's running late but she will join us shortly. And Andrew Gillham and I'm not running it. You're not running late, Andrew. How you feeling, I'm good, I'm good friend, Good to see you you too.
Speaker 3: What they serving a Denny's did it?
Speaker 1: Very funny? So Andrew is trying to say, it looks like I'm in a Denny's background, but I'm actually in a DJ booth in a pretty cool location by the way. But before we even get too deep into that, what we're talking about today, oh Frian, Oh friend, I know that, okay. So basically Andrew is saying that because what we're going to get into today, and y'all brace yourselves, as we've been here before, is government retaliation. So we're going to be talking about government corruption, which Andrew, you know about government retaliation. Uh, I think they're acting corrupt as they're going after people. I'm really excited that we exactly really excited that we have Mayor ros Baraka, who is also running for governor of New Jersey. So when Angela gets here, she'll tell us more about securing him as a guest. But you guys perhaps saw this week that he had a tussle, he was arrested essentially by ICE agents, right right, targeted. Targeted is probably a more and with more intention to say that that happened to him, which is awful. So I don't know. It's just making me really uncomfortable, Andrew, to be honest with you, because it feels like people are waiting for some imaginary line for this government to cross, and that line has been crossed already. And I wonder like people have to show up to your house and drag you out for you to say, oh shit, this is a serious problem.
Speaker 3: You're close to it, Tiffany, you're close to I think what has to happen, which is it's one thing to see it on television. It's one thing to see a doctoral student who simply co signed a not even physically signed, just basically say what they said to the student Senate, the elected student representation who passes a resolution, and she says that's good, and what do they do. They ghost her right off the streets. And so it's one thing to watch it. It's a whole nother thing entirely to experience it. And I don't think folks are going to I don't think it will hit them over the head like it's hit us over the head until you are in close proximity to the government taking similar actions against you or somebody you care about. I'm convinced of it, just because otherwise we would have all been abhorred by what we've seen, all of us would have taken to the streets based off of what we saw happen, excuse me in Massachusetts over at Tuffs, but we didn't. We didn't because it wasn't us. It makes me, it makes me fearful for all of us, but it also makes me mostly concerned for everyday people, regular Americans, who are not noticing what is exceptional about this moment. And I don't use the term exceptional as a positive. Exceptionally bad is what we're experiencing. You know.
Speaker 1: I'm curious because we'll talk about this more when the mayor joins us. But the very issue why he was even there to protest is that there was this private prison there that is not regulated, and he was there to investigate. As the mayor of his city. He was there to investigate, to look into it in this private prison where they are housing undie documented migrants and so.
Speaker 3: And I actually think he was looking into the fact that it is not I don't believe it has achieved the necessary licensing. Now we can ask him, of course. My guess is is that over any building that goes up in Newark that the mayor and council and their staff have a sayer over whether you're meeting code, did you meet fire code, did you meet building inspections and other codes. Now I could be wrong because I haven't gained this from him directly, but we can, of course ask today. But if the mayor's job is to ensure that every building that stands in his community is safe to occupy for business, then it seems to me he would have been well within his right. He or his code enforcement officials well within the right to not only be at the premises but in the premises to ensure that they are complying with local, state, and federal law, but very specifically.
Speaker 1: Right, and as a former mayor yourself, you know all too well the responsibility he has. But I also if we're at the point in this country where we're arresting mayors, you know, I just where do we go from here? And I think the point I was trying to get to earlier is the idea that there are way too many of us in our community, in the black community, who said, well, that's who they voted for, So you know, I'm minding my black business. That ain't it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 4: Is not it?
Speaker 1: Number one? I think we have to have a little more intellectual curiosity about the voter data. Too often we are spoon fed and narrative by lazy ass reporters from mainstream media who have not disaggregated this data. When you look at the different communities, particularly in the Latino community, there is no community of color who voted overwhelmingly for Donald Trump. Every community of color voted overwhelmingly for Kamala Harris in the Latino community. When you disaggregate, because again the white man came along and said, all of y'all qualify as Hispanics we're putting all of you all in that category. But in truth, these are people from different countries of origin, different backgrounds. It's like if they said, all of y'all, you know black folks are the same, and you have somebody from you know, Tallahassee, you got somebody from the Dirty South, somebody from you got somebody from Jamaica, and somebody from Kenya. You got you know, the black Brits, a black Parisian, and all of us are supposed to represent one and I think we have to have we just have to look at this a bit differently. And so, yes, the Trump administration was able to make inroads among Latino men where he was able to peel off a significant portion of Latino men to vote for him. Once we acknowledge that, then we have to look at the rampant disinformation campaigns that were running in Spanish language to that community. We also have to acknowledge the anti black sentiment that exists in all communities, even black communities sometimes okay black, but communities everywhere. So yes, I hear the outrage, I understand it all, but I just want to say, when you look at who, then people's understanding of socialism you know, if you have fled a socialist country, you don't necessarily understand the nuance difference when American politicians are saying things about socialism. But even when you it's like somebody saying, you know, if something happened to a black man, it's like, well, he didn't vote for Kamala, and it's like no, that was the narrative that the mainstream media was trying to feed you all. But we knew that, ain't it. Black men are overwhelmingly voting for Kamala Harris. But again, he was able to make certain in roads with a small sect of black men a larger sect of Latino men. My point in saying all this is I'm sounding the alarm because if you're sitting on the sideline saying this ain't my problem, my mind, in my black business, where do you think they're going next? Do you think they're going to stop?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: They right?
Speaker 1: That's a good point I'm saying, going and you're right and correcting me saying they are here. If they are disappearing people who don't look like us, do you think they're going to stop at us? Like this? Quite frankly is our collective.
Speaker 3: They've been disappearing us. Right, this is not know this story.
Speaker 1: This whole thing that we've never seen this, we've seen this before, like we we know.
Speaker 3: If you're so, you're so right. And I guess for me it's I don't care about the data and who voted for whom in this regard he was elected, Okay, But just because you get elected, you don't own the Constitution. The Constitution is a predecessor to you by centuries, not as many as a lot of Americans like to walk around here thinking we are, but by centuries. The Constitution predates you and has been attempted to have been made more perfect along the way. It will, hopefully if we do our job. As the framer said, a republic, if you can keep it well. Part of keeping it is making sure this man doesn't run away with the Constitution flanking himself in it, as if that means he can't be a complete destroyer of it. And that's what we're seeing right now. So yes, they elected him, sure, but guess what, there are some fabled and some staid documents that actually outlasts who the individual occupant is of the office, and based off that by itself, No, you don't get to rough run, shot run, rough shot over my rights. My rights were here before you those that I have, and I hope the game more in the future. But right now, what you're not gonna do is you're not about to rip them away from me and watch me act on like a bystander as if I don't have a say in the thing. We do have a say, and it requires us standing up. The Framers were smart to say if you can keep it, because it puts the responsibility back on us as voters, as citizens. Forget voters as citizens, it's to hold them to account. It's a higher call.
Speaker 1: We can't keep it. I mean, that's the conclusion. We cannot keep it, and I that doesn't mean that we don't fight, but we can't keep it. But I'm curious your thoughts, Andrew, when it comes to this attitude of people, you know, like just shoulders shrugg Well, the Palestindians had, you know, their protests vote in Michigan, so I'm not gonna get in that fight, and Latinos voted for Trump. I'm not gonna get in that fight when the data just doesn't support any of that. But I do understand the frustration, but to me. It feels like the white man sitting back laughing at all of this while we're in fighting. We're barely fourteen percent of the population. This is not a battle that can be won without allies, and allies are made, they are not born. So I do think this is a collective fight, not as some self sacrificial lambs in service to a country that harms us, but in self serving people who understand I cannot battle this goliath of a corrupt United States government that has already fall into a dictator. I cannot battle it and survive it by myself. But what do we say to people to convey that message? Because every time we post something, a lot of the comments on NLP, on our socials, on YouTube, a lot of it is like, well, that ain't my fight, And it's really disheartening because it's like it's gonna be. It is your fight, you just don't know it yet.
Speaker 3: Anyone who draws that conclusion is a ghost walking. You're not living in this real, lived, you know life that you and I are experiencing right now. Because if I know Black folk better than nearly any people, they understand that when the worst is done to a group, unlike us that whatever is coming our way is going to be multiples worse they You know, we used to grow up with the saying, if America catches a cold, black people catch you know, the flu. Now we can say ko covid.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: But but but in truth, I don't know that we have I don't know that we have the shorthand language to describe how overwhelmingly negatively impacted we are when the country turns fascists, when the nation turns more racist, when the racist, when the when the nation headed by Donald Trump turns against white people and us. Yeah, just know that whatever is about to be served up to us is going to be multiples worse of what everyone else is getting. And the reason why I included, you know, a white majority in that and that example, Tiffany, is because the white majority is experiencing the ebbs and flow of Trump's terror, crayon battle whatever he thinks he's his his barbies. Maybe this year your kid instead of getting many barbies, they get to now he about to take a four hundred thous four hundred million dollar playing but but for free, as as a sitting president, you know, be damned monuments the moment. But in this case, I'm like, I got an.
Speaker 1: I said it, you would have clown me. But I'm going to be mentioned.
Speaker 3: I got there. I got there with a little help.
Speaker 1: But you know, can you just take a quick second and explain the emoluments clause you want to, But I just.
Speaker 3: Want what Tiffany just said. That word right there, monuments is the is at the very beginning our constitution calling out the fact that you cannot take gifts from a foreign power. In fact, presidents should not take gifts. Uh. Period. Neither Supreme Court justices if I were being completely honest.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But but the folks in Saudi the Far East and the Middle East, what they know well is they know Donald Trump's language well, and that language is a language of uplift, of flattery, of complementing, of flatter. Better word, the flattery, the gifts, the the the exertions that you make that remind them of their station, or at least the perception of.
Speaker 1: This we got a president has been flued out basically by the Qataris. And the fact of the matter is Pam Bondy of this country's US Attorney General, has advised him that legally he can accept this because they're trying to do it under the guise of it's a donation to the Department of Defense. I don't believe for one second, if this president should ever voluntarily leave office, I don't believe for one second that he's going to leave this plush ass plane behind. We should also point out that Pam Bondi, before taking this role, previously lobbied for the country, right exactly, so I yeah.
Speaker 3: And she's also the personal you show you you gave her a prom the US Attorney general. She is clearly the personal attorney for Donald Trump. Guys, yes, and the and the and and and the description of attorney general. But the Attorney's General is America's attorney But all she seems to do is cap for him.
Speaker 1: It's frightening and this but this is what I mean, Andrew, because all of these things are kind of over a lot of people's heads, you know, like, I'm not waking up panic because Donald Trump took a plane from Qatar. I'm not, you know, in a panic because he seems to be personally profiting off of his Middle East trip. All of those things seem like distant problems. And I think that people will start paying attention when this problem knocks on your front door. What they don't understand is that problem is here, like like knocking that right now. That problem is knocking at your front door. When they talk about the Medicaid all of it, you know you have been impacted by it. I embracing myself to be impacted by they're looking at SNAP benefits. I think about the people in my family who get SNAP. I mean they're real tangible things. The cuts to NIH, people will die if they haven't already. Somebody should be I hope a journalist projects and one of these j schools need to keep a running tab on how many deaths this president. You can start with COVID, you can start from twenty sixteen. How many deaths this president is responsible for at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm scare. Yeah, if you said something and I didn't want to let that thread go, which was people don't understand, you know, when they see the four hundred million dollar jet going, I would beg to offer that people do no grift when they see it, they see him grifting. The problem is is that people's opinions of what politicians are and what they do is has been reshaped and frankly reshaped and in many ways by Donald Trump. But I won't put that solely at his feet because they've been corrupt people before. But they see him acting ruptly, they see him as as as a felon in the White House, and so things that run up against law, you know, become gray. Used to be black and white. Now, by the way, if it were me, it's going to be black or white. If it were you, it's going to be black or white. But he gets the grace of gray, right, so they just they suspend with it. So I think our job becomes not letting it go. I think we still have to, you know, sound the trumpet on those things. But I think you're right to go in the direction of how we make the consequences plain for what you're going to experience in your everyday life. Now, you don't need me to tell you at home that you can't do without Medicare you need me at home to tell you that you know? And maybe you've got personal health insurance and your kids, but think about your parents, your brothers and sisters in them, the folks that can care about who may rely on these systems to get by. What are they doing? No, they're not taking it away what they're doing is a change the criteria. And by changing that criteria, when you go in this next time and you're like, I was eligible last time. Oh no, no, no, there's an update. There's a part Z to the plan. Then Part Z says, if you have a job and you make minimum wage, nah, you don't qualify regardless how much you earned from week to week, month to month, year to year.
Speaker 1: And not just medicaid, like I said, snap benefits, like all of it. Absolutely, we're going to take a quick break, gotta pay some bills, but we're going to pick this conversation up on the other side. I do just want to say a quick little announcement that Angela is in the building, so she's going to be joining us shortly. She's caught up in New York traffic. As you guys know, the State of the People tour is happening, and yes, and so she got to be in New Jersey this week with the Mayor ROSBROCKA will be joining us shortly. So she got caught up in a little bit of New York City right on cue right, she must have heard me say her name, yes, but but the audience can see that she is at least here. Literally, I was just saying, Angela is in the building.
Speaker 6: Uh, yes, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: We in it, We in it. I was just saying that you were the State of the People tour is going, you're in New Jersey or you were in New Jersey this week with the mayor, and so you hit a bit of New York City traffic. So just to catch yeah, well, just to catch you up. We were just talking about surprise, surprise government corruption, Yes, and we were. We got a little bit into Donald Trump, excepting the plane from uh, the government of Qatar. Kyle or Howard say, which is ridiculous and direct violation of the monument's.
Speaker 3: Clause or a monument Andrew.
Speaker 1: I did not say. But Andrew was trying to say, Yeah, he was a violation of the monuments, all the monuments.
Speaker 3: Not just one of the monument's clause, but the.
Speaker 4: Clause.
Speaker 6: There's one thing we can there's one thing we can count on. We can count on him to be in violation at every clause. It was and wasn't he You know, this man has eighty eight indictments. Uh, well had eight eight indictments at the time he was running for president. I don't know how many they shed since then that they decided to get off. But listen here, I I just nothing surprises me anymore. And I think the frustration is, you know, when you tell kids, hey, guys, if you just follow the rules and you're you know, you do the right thing, good things will come to you. And I can't tell you how many people we meet on this tour. How many people are doing the right thing every single day and they don't get a break.
Speaker 4: But this guy, this bully, this you know again, we get I.
Speaker 6: Don't know about y'all, but I learned about put downs from Miss Lindsay in the second grade. And he can put down and he still comes up right. As it is fascinating and remarkably unfair. And when kids now say it ain't fair, what are we gonna tell them except for their right something I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: It depends on who the kids are right. Because that's the conclusion I draw about this man, is that lett none of us make the mistake of believing that we would get the same second, third, fourth, fifth chances. I mean to the point that you're making the folks you're encountering on this tour who are putting their shoulder to the wheel every day, day and day out, on off days, on breaks, if there was such a thing that they're putting it in. And we can't make sense of how it is that we end up at the back of the line every single time. But the people who are skipping the line, who are not not not taking the test, but having it taken for them, grades put in before you sit for it, you know, and and and and it seems that every advantage seems to fall their way.
Speaker 1: Didn't get away in because I wanted your opinion on this, Angela. I was saying you and I talked about it a little bit this week about all the people who the very reason that Mayor ros Broko was even at this private prison because it's a place where they are Andrew gave us great context. But it's a place where they are housing undocumented according to the government. I don't trust everything they say, but according to them, it's a place where they're housing undocumented immigrants. And I brought up the fact that we hear so many times and comments on our page and just for me in conversation with people, well, that ain't my problem my mind, in my black business. That's who they voted for our mind in my black business. And I have to remind people all the time undocumented immigrants cannot vot vote, they did not vote. And then when you look at the data, every community of color voted overwhelmingly for Kamala Harris, including the Latino community. Donald Trump was able to make inroads and gains among Latino men, but the Latino community as a whole, But even that aside, it's got to be our fight. So I'm just curious on the state of the people tour. When you encounter people, I'm sure you might hear similar things, but what is your message to people who have that attitude?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm glad you asked that. I want to give doctor David John's a plug here. Yes, David John's is running our black papers process. The black papers now, I think we have over twenty eight black papers that will be dropped throughout this tour. And just yesterday our immigration paper was released. So the Black Black Lines for Just Immigration spoke on our panel in Newark. I know I said yesterday, but what I meant to say was this week, earlier this week, as Tiffany would have us to say. And so what I think is important is that. You know, there's not a single policy area in this country that doesn't touch a black body. You know, folks are like, oh well, especially some of the folks who were just relentless on social about you.
Speaker 4: Know, well, why are we doing this?
Speaker 6: You know, we're not immigrants who were forced here, that is true, but many of us have in our lineage Haitian ancestry, Guyanese ancestry, some type of Caribbean ancestry, Afro Latino ancestry, straight from the continent ancestry, right right, Because that's.
Speaker 4: Really what that boils down to.
Speaker 6: Even when we talk about Brazil, Brazil which was the largest receiver of enslaved people in the Bellius ships. So when we think about the many layers, all the many layers, it impacts us. And even if somehow remarkably for five generations you don't have any immigrants, let's say that's the case. You have somebody in your community who you every day at the grocery store, or who drives the school bus, or who cleans the house, or who is the nanny is somebody's children, or who is a healthcare worker, or who is a construction worker, or who is an everyday citizen just mining their business walking down the block.
Speaker 4: It touches you, and.
Speaker 6: It is going to change the fabric of many people's neighborhoods in ways that they have no idea. So long as we continue to say, well, this doesn't apply to me, and maybe immigration doesn't apply to you, but these tariffs do. Maybe these tariffs don't apply to you, but how healthcare does and prescription drugs costs, Like, there's no way that this, the oppressive regime that we now find ourselves under, is not going to touch you in a very real way, especially when we say, well, the safest people that we can count on right now, we know if you're an elected office, you're in a safe place. No, not even on the soil of a you know, a private prison right on the outside. Mayor res was on the outside and now we're gonna hear from him, but on the outside of this prison and on city land, and they still found a way to say that he was trespassing. There are people who they are holding in in that private prison who are allegedly in violation of their immigration status. They are painting it out. Do you guys remember that show America's Most Wanted.
Speaker 1: I was a producer on that show. Yes, I remember it very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah you should.
Speaker 6: You should remember it so Tiff when they used to hold up the mug shots and the music that comes on on the music I Traveled.
Speaker 1: I work with guys over I was producing for Travel.
Speaker 4: If you want to, I just want to.
Speaker 6: Whatever it is. If you want to tell the story, you can. I'm just saying there was a dramatic effect about it. And these people have dropped us right into an episode of America's Most Wanted.
Speaker 4: Every time Christy Noam comes on with.
Speaker 6: Her makeup done and a bulletproof vest child like, that's what they're doing. They're trying to create this dramatic series of America's Most wanta and it is at the expense of the child who's not gonna get to work, get to school the next day because they just thole her mama. Yeah, they're abducting humans, that's what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for what and shipping them to offshore torture camps. And now they're because of course, this is kind of the point that I think we're all making. It is not going to stop at migrants. So now the next conversation and but we have to tap into our humanity that we give a shit about them too. We are not big enough in this community, in this country to fight this fight alone and inevitably, as we as black people always know. Of course, now it's coming to us because now they're in conversations with Rwanda and other countries to ship American citizens who are incarcerated to foreign countries. And who knows. And I'm be honest with you all, if I were one of these leaders in Africa, I would be like, yeah, send me all your your black people in prison, Send them all because we're gonna build an army. We will train them and build an army.
Speaker 4: Now this is the tip I want to cut.
Speaker 6: This is it because yo, and I tell you right now, I'm gonna find every leader of an African nation I can to be like, hey, we have a great idea.
Speaker 4: I stole tips.
Speaker 1: I want to start an initiative trying to tell you, especially because we might be next that the right things are going.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that next week.
Speaker 1: So hell, y'all want to tune in next week because.
Speaker 4: You're definitely gonna want to tune in for this. They have to get us, y'all. I get start.
Speaker 1: We can't tell you yet because we need.
Speaker 4: To talk to a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Yes, they see some of it, they need all of it.
Speaker 4: Andrew talking about they tried to come from what right?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I don't. I don't believe that once is enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: If Tiff and Tiff and Andrew are heavy on this.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not the For me. It is still metaphorical, which is like, in every way in which you should be able to exist as a living, breathing human being who draws breath. They want to suffocate that out what that offers. They want to suffocate it. I'll never forget last week during our conversation hearing hearing the term you want to see a dead man walking? I was, you know, this is what I'm because I was dead inside, was our guess's response to us.
Speaker 4: Brother lewis right, Yeah, Ray Lewis.
Speaker 3: It just it chilled me. It chilled me. There are a lot of us moving. We are moving through our spaces, not awoke, not wake, not awoken, not woke. And I don't mean it in the satirical way in which we hear Republicans talk about it. I mean moving in and out of space without any awareness of what we're doing, where we are, what's happening in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think the point that I'm making about death, it was I watched the series. Michael Harriet actually showed me a clip and I thought it was just a clip from the show American Gods that's not on air anymore. But essentially it's about like if gods were walking the earth among us, like if these Greek gods were everyday people. And they show the scene opens with slaves on a ship and the slave is praying the capture the captive. He's praying, please, if you get me out of this situation, I will speak your name. I will pray for you. And then this god appears, a black man in everyday clothes, and he starts telling the men and the slave, this is what you're about to go through, and he walks them through when you get to America, this is what's about to happen to you. He walks them through the plantation, Jim Crow, civil rights, reconstruction, all of it. So he says, you want to get out of this situation, kill every one of these mothers dead, drown.
Speaker 4: Them all a minute.
Speaker 1: But what was this?
Speaker 4: I need American.
Speaker 1: Gods, American gods and Orlando. Yes, it's off air now. And I didn't watch the whole show. I just saw this clip. Orlando Jones plays the god and so the black man says, but Master, we will die too if we do that, and he leans in real close to him and says, mother, you already did. And I just thought, oh, my God, like that is his point is make it easy for the next like take out. And of course, just for legal purposes, we are not advocating any violence or killing anybody. I want to be really clear. We want to be really clear. We are speaking metaphorically. But what I didn't know that the great historian Michael Harriet later emailed me, is this is actually a true story. And they were enslaved from Nigeria who drowned themselves because they would rather die than be in bondage. And they were off the shore of Georgia, and they killed the enslaves and drowned them, and they were singing something in unison, and it was something like the water spirit carried us here, and the water spirit will set us free. And they killed all the enslavers and drowned themselves. I say that to say again, not promoting any kind of violence. We don't wish death on anybody. I say that to say that it is time for radical thought because if they are going to harm me anyway, then then what if I'm at my rock bottom? Then what do I have to lose? But anyway, I don't want to keep talking because Angela, you had a great idea for the guests this week. And first before we say that, I just want to say I've apologize. I've been calling Angela Angela, and I should address her as her proper title doctor ry.
Speaker 6: Doctorates to clear the record. I want to thank you so much for the support. This is my second doctorate.
Speaker 1: But I'll save you.
Speaker 6: But also let me tell you something that really gets on my nerves. This is a public service announcement to black people throughout the land. When you get an honorary doctorate, please don't start calling yourself doctor.
Speaker 4: I want to listen.
Speaker 6: And even if even if you got the doctorate from the storefront church, right like, I respect you and that's great, but like, please, the people that have earned a doctorate and went to school to do this, like my mother who is a doctor education, she's an d D, please put some respect on their names.
Speaker 4: I will maintain counselor and attorney. Angela R.
Speaker 6: I shall not become a doctor, but I will take it here. So now Tiffany and and you should only address me as doctor.
Speaker 1: We are only gonna call you doctor.
Speaker 3: I got my own doctor.
Speaker 6: And to be clear, I would like for oh, so Andrew's gonna be doctors, well mine needs to be doctor though.
Speaker 4: Okay it's a different I'm still I'm not undermine name. It's d O C T A. Yeah, doctor.
Speaker 1: Okay, And now I want you to bring.
Speaker 3: I want you to get because I want to disassociate myself from from Angela's comments about y'all and doctor y'all. Doctor y'all are signature your email to doctor such and such.
Speaker 1: Okay. Just on the other side of this break, we're going to pick up the conversation. But we'll be joined by Mayor Ross Baraka, who's also running for governor of New Jersey. So don't go anywhere you want to stick around for this conversation. We'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 6: All right, everyone, Well, we are thrilled to be joined by Newark's fortieth mayor. A good friend of this shows is this is not his first time with Native lampod Our good brother and friend.
Speaker 4: Mayor Rasbaraka, how are you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 6: I'm good, good, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Literally welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Yes, we are so happy to have you.
Speaker 6: We are going to run some sound from the Department Homeland Securities Assistant secretary. She handles their press. Her name is Tricia McLoughlin, and she had this to say about the recent incident outside of the Newark Ice facility.
Speaker 7: There will likely be more arrests coming. We actually have body camera footage of some of these members of Congress assaulting our ice enforcement officers, including body slamming a female ice officer. So we will be showing that to viewers very shortly.
Speaker 3: Video members of Congress body slamming ice. That's correct, officials.
Speaker 7: That's correct, sir, It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Here are you lying, Andrew?
Speaker 6: Just one moment, let us the mayor was there. Mayor the mayor was there, Mayor Rasrocker. We have seen footage from multiple angles, and I would love to see when or hear about when you saw congressman body watch of COVID lift somebody up overhead and throw them down to the ground.
Speaker 4: Do you have that footage? Have you seen that it doesn't exist.
Speaker 6: Okay, I didn't think so, all right, tip it, Andrew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it don't exist because it didn't happen, right, correct. Y'all know the first thing we would have seen on the news had that been true, would have been whatever that video is. But they just lost so hard, Mayor.
Speaker 5: Completely man, and they're so used to it. They're comfortable in line. You know.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, brother, you needed this like you needed a hole in your head. You're in the middle of the race to become governor of the Democratic nominee for governor of New Jersey. Your heart in some ways, I know your head. I went back and watched one of your latest debate, and your race reminds me of the five way primary we had down here in twenty eighteen. And if that foretells anything, brother, the future is bright. Just do it slightly differently and bring it all the way home in the general election. I do want to ask you, Mayor, were you taken aback when you were asked during the last debate about whether or not you'll be able to work with federal officials and law enforcement, given that you had been arrested just shortly before the debate while doing your job as the mayor of your city inspecting this facility. Did that throw you a jar? And is that in any way representative of the way in which you've run this race and the way the media has covered it?
Speaker 5: Right? No, I mean they love to portray us at as these kind of thugs, as folks that you know, cannot work with with folks that we're angry, we're overly radical, and this is the reason why we can't govern and be elected. But my record in Newark is clear what we've done around public safety, reducing crime and violence about sixty one percent. The city hasn't had this less amount of violence since John F. Kennedy was the President of the United States. I mean, we're doing a great job with community violence intervention workers, working with the police. But that's the way they try to pigeonhole us and you know, barricade us into their caricatures of what they think we are. You know. So, but if you could see the videos clear that they let me in the gate, right, they let me in the gate. It's like entrapment almost, right, they let me in the gate. Then they arrested me after I leave the gate.
Speaker 1: As another great mayor would say, mister mayor, let me let me ask you. We saw the footage, and first of all, we're just happy to see that you are safe and release because so many people are not. So many people are kidnapped and being disappeared by this government, which is really frightening. We talked a bit before you joined us about the fracture in some of the communities. You know, there are some people on the black community who feel like, well, these you know, illegal ice attentions ain't my fight, it's not my problem. And they're even pre Trump. There have been infighting among communities of color, fighting for resources, which is something you would certainly confront as governor of New Jersey given the diversity of that state. I'm curious what you would say to black constituents who may feel like I want you to be the governor for me. If you're taking up this fight, how can you be the governor for me? How would you counter that ill informed sentiment?
Speaker 5: Right? But this fight is our fight. I mean, the attack on due process is our fight. The attack on the fourth Amendment, fifth Amendment of Constitution, of fourteenth Amendment, these are our fights. The fourteen Amendment was created post slavery, This is directly our fight. And the first people that are going to be attacked the minute we allow them to roll the fourth and fifth Amendment is us. We have already been attacked, but this does is open the door and leave us more vulnerable than it did already. We have to fight for people who are struggling around the same things we're struggling around, and we have to see our commonality there. And it's up to us as leaders, as writers, as journalists, as put folks out in the front so to explain that to people so they can understand clearly that this fight is our fight.
Speaker 6: I got to ask you, given everything that's happened me or we were in New Orleans at the time on the State of the People tour, and of course you joined us this week. You're so grateful for your remarks and your courage, but I'm curious to know, given everything that's going on, the fact that now you were arrested. I believe that they are trying to charge you with a misdemeanor of trespassing. Have you heard from the Department of Justice on this case and what the next steps are?
Speaker 5: Yes, I have. I mean, we supposed to have a hearing tomorrow. They're trying to turn it into another kind of hearing. They're now saying the charge is too small to have a preliminary hearing. They didn't say that when they were fingerprinting me and taking my pictures, but on making me do PTI that morning, you know, going through this asking me questions, do I have mental illness, do I take drugs? All this kind of stuff. So now they're saying that the charge is too small, but we still have to go through the process. And you know, ultimately, I think they know that they made error here and they want to fix that, but they want us to acquiesce in the process. That's what's taking this thing so long. They know they need to drop the case, but they want me to bend the knee before that happens. And they'll be waiting until they're blue in the face, until the cows come home. As my grandfother would say, if they expect that to happen, what does that mean, Well, it means that they want me to uh, you know, bow to them, to acquiesce, to say that we were wrong to uh basically come to them and uh kind of beg them even Uh it's it's it's it's it's ridiculous because I didn't do anything wrong. I violated new laws. The land I was on, even when the property I was on anyway was not even federal property. It's not federal property, so they don't have any charge for federal trespass. I mean, I just it's just incorrect.
Speaker 1: I want to be clear. You're are you saying that someone from the administration came to you and said if you say these things, if you say that you were wrong, then they would well be helpful to you.
Speaker 5: Well, they're talking to our they're talking to our lawyers, right, and the lawyers are giving me all kinds of options. And obviously these options I have to come from somewhere, right, So they're given me all kinds of options of what it is that we can do, what's possible, what's plausible, uh, and and and what's reality. The fact is uh that it's it would be silly for them to take this all the way through into logical and Uh. It's a misdemeanor of class T misdemeanor. First of all, the maximum is thirty days in jail, four hundred, five hundred dollars fine. I don't know any judge that's going to do that, or any federal prosecutor that's going to prosecute this case after they see the evidence. The Brady log of demands that they give us all the evidence that they have. If they turn over the guard who let me in the door in the first place, the gate in the first place, that ends the fact that I came on the property, that I busted in, that I forced my way in, that I was not invited in because I was invited in.
Speaker 4: For clarity, were you on were you inside the gate when they handcuffed you or were you outside the gate?
Speaker 5: I was outside the gate. They told me to leave. After going back and forth with me and the congress people, I left. There's a video of body watching colon and holding my arm. We're walking out very peacefully, very calmly. The agents are around me. We leave the gate. They stay inside so they could go do their tour. But the tour didn't happen because a special agent in charge got a phone call and that's also on a video, and then they huddle up and leave and come and get me.
Speaker 6: Yes, And I think that's important for yeah, if I want people to understand that he was not on the private prison by the way, the private prison side. When this all happened, he was on that was city land, correct, mister mayor, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was on the opposite side of the gate, absolutely.
Speaker 1: In the city correct, right exactly.
Speaker 6: So you said that they want you to acquiesce there might be a mayor that is geographically close to where you now are, also mayor that we might look to as an example of what not to do.
Speaker 4: Since Mayor raz is two class, he to do this, I will name him.
Speaker 6: That is Mayor Eric Adams, So that's who they probably want him to behave like, but he won't do that because this is a mayor of the people.
Speaker 1: As Eric Adams was offered uh an exit ramp by this administration and now he has become an acolyte and mouthpiece for this administration after his entire office was arrested. I can't remember all the charges, but I believe it was bribery. He was, you know, involved in making deals with the foreign countries, including Turkey, so just our viewers know. But mister Mayor, it seems like they were targeting you specifically. Of all the people who were there, it seems like they wanted to arrest you. One do you feel like you were targeted. Two. If so, why and how concerned are you? Because you're you're speaking about well, you know, it's clear that the video, we all know facts, but in a society where facts don't matter, I'm just wondering, how concerned are you about this court date this week and by the time the show airs, you will have already been in court.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, obviously you're concerned. I was concerned about being arrested. I don't know what these people are gonna take me, what they're gonna do. I don't know who you even the track record of what these people have, they disappearing people, But I don't know what's going to happen, you know, you know, so I am concerned about the outcome of this. I mean, I know we have a very good team of lawyers, and you know the public is watching, so that that helps us right to keep it public and have it as a very public event. I think they arrested me because I'm the mayor right as mayor of the state's largest city, and it's not about me personally. It's about them flexing their muscles. They want to arrest judges, mayors, so forth, and so on. To prove a point that you know, they're strong, that they could do what they want to do. Nobody's going to defy them, and no matter who you are, what your position of status is, we're coming to get you. So I think they wanted to get the person they thought that was in charge that day, and that that happened to be me, right, and so they came and got me, and you know, the US Attorney and I had words back and forth publicly on social media. I mean, it wasn't too bad, but you know, they don't like to be called out. But at the end of the day, this was their opportunity to show me. As you know, as people say, that's what they did. They came out and showed me. They took locked me up, cuffed me and took me in, took me into a seal.
Speaker 3: Mayor. They did more than show you, They showed all of us. And I think that has in part the intention that by going after what we as the community believed to be those who are the leadership voices and therefore are beyond you touching them, roughing them up, putting handcuffs on them over public demonstration, We're going to go after the very thing that you think is untouchable, the very person who you think who you call your leader and who is your elected leader, and bring that person to not just heal, but to humiliation is in part there is in part their goal, which is really why I wanted to and I have a question about Governor, but I didn't want to skip over because I've been there with them before, that process of submitting yourself through arrest and the dehumanizing lens that that goes to in the mind games that it can play with you if you are not steadfast and unmovable and and and and your positionality here. But if for the average person out there, how can you deepen into this this knowing that we all have that if they can do that, Dura may erasp Baraka, who am I? Why should I protest? If that can be done to him, can it be done to me?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I absolutely can. But the reality is our collective power is greater than our individual power, right, and that we have to be together. And this is a moral moment. I've been saying that, you know, this is a moment, you know when when Jim Crow is happening and people were being denied opportunity to vote and being killed in the South, or trying to organize people to vote. When Mega Evers was shot in his wife's arms, or four little girls blown up in the church in Birmingham. People had to speak up, they had to say stuff right. It was their moral moment, and people from all nationalities or religions. Some of them made comment and did even more than that, and some did nothing right. The history is going to judge those people. It's the same now what happens now. You know, when Irish Americans came here, they went through the same criminalization of the humanization. When Italian Americans came here, they did the same thing. Jewish Americans as well. This is not a new tactic for these kind of despots and authoritarian folks. And you know what happens to people of color, it's always a lot worse. So at the end of the day, we could sit around and watch what's going on, or we could use our platform to fight back. And that's what we're supposed to be doing in a collective way.
Speaker 3: Mayor, how are you feeling about the run for governor where we're what three were about two three weeks out from voting. Clothes give our listeners a sense of how you're feeling on the ground and also what they can do at this point as you close in on election.
Speaker 5: Day, it's fourth quarter, we got the third seconds left. Is the tie game and we got the ball. That's really what it is. Either we're gonna score or we not. And it's simply that you know, the race is so close, it's gonna boil down to who gets their voters out to the polls that day. Whoever's ground game is more complex efficient I should say, stronger money in the ground, having their people out, pulling their voters out, those are the folks that are gonna win. Nobody's gonna win with more than thirty percent of the vote. Somebody's gonna win with twenty four to twenty five percent of the vote. That's about two hundred thousand people if that. And so it's gonna take a real operation on the street to get people out. And what that means is that we can't afford to stay home like our family members. We have to do relational voting like everybody in our circle. You call the people you know, You talk to the people you know and make sure that they vote in their family members vote. I mean, if that's something that's less complicated then going out with a team of people knocking on doors and doing all this stuff. You can sit in your home and call everybody on your phone and make sure they vote and put it together the night before the day of start building that right now. And I'm a member our five fraternity and they always ask me what can we do? I said, make sure every out for in New Jersey votes for Rasbarrock on June tenth, and their wives and their children. That's enough to let everybody else do that as well.
Speaker 6: I want to get into a little bit of platform because so much as this has been a distraction to the race that you're running, like you anticipated going to stand up for constituents and folks who have been living in Newark and hardly expected to ever be seeing the inside of a detention facility in the middle of a gubernatorial run, and so on.
Speaker 4: Platform.
Speaker 6: One of the things that came up at our State of the People tour stop in Newark was the wealth gap for black folks versus white folks in the state of New Jersey. I believe they said black folks, white folks who are around six hundred thousand in New Jersey versus like seventeen thousand for black families in New Jersey. What are your plans, mister Mayor, to close the wealth gap in the state.
Speaker 5: And that's actually doubled by the way, so it was about three hundred thousand doing COVID, So it's doubled in a very short period of time. And at the base of that its home ownership and investment in small businesses. And you know, African American businesses are usually sole proprietorships in this state, and they get less than one percent of support from state dollars in New Jersey, So black, brown and women businesses get very little to no support from the state. I would say we need first a diversity procurement officer to make sure that every department in the state is procuring dollars and businesses from black and brown and women businesses, specifically black businesses in these communities that are being underrepresented and left behind. We also have been talking about a public bank that is not a commercial bank, but an investment bank where we put our dollars and we force cra dollars to be as well, and we do deliverate an intentional investment in home ownership capital loans for people to begin their own homes, begin to invest in businesses so they grow, so they can hire more employees, so they can move from one city to multiple cities, to put money in people's pockets and invest in communities that have been left behind, have barriers in their way because of race and because of class. And that's what we want to do in any immediate sense. And we want to help finance these chambers of commerces, especially that African American Chamber of Commerce, so they can help these businesses with back office paperwork, so they could bid for contracts, so they can stand on their feet, so they balance sheets are good. All of that is important. Teaching them how to bond so they could compete in a larger way with other businesses. But we have to infuse capital in these communities because that's what we're missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mayor. One of the things that I've read that you're facing, and I know I faced the same thing where some of your opponents or supporters of your opponents would say the Republicans are craving Razbaraka as the Democratic nominee because they feel like they can beat them. I remember being asked that and say, my opponents, of course have no interest in that narrative being pushed. You know before I answer, But obviously that is an easy narrative to push when you're the first, when you were attempting to rise against the grain and to you're not. You're not running for governor to become the first. You're running for governor to be of service to the people you care about. But of course you were, you were. You're breaking some barriers to be successful in the Democratic nominee. What's your best pushback on? Of course, the Republicans want me because I'm weaker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what they think being black is a weakness. I don't. They think being from Newark is a weakness. I don't. I think it gives me the acumen and the skill, the record to be able to solve very difficult and complex problems that they have no idea how to solve. I think because I'm closer to the problem, I'm closer to the solutions. My messaging appeals to everybody up and down the state of New Jersey because everybody is in the same situation, and Democrats have been afraid to talk the way I've been talking, which is why we're punching high above our weight. Because the message that we're telling people is that the economy is broken and we can fix it. That it has to be more inclusive and not exclusive. That we can lawyer your taxes, lawyer your costs. That we can make the wealthy paid their fair share. Everybody wants to hear that. And we can do this by leaning into diversity, equity, inclusion, not running away from it. That we can make the state more democratic by doing In fact, diversity, equity and inclusion is going to make our economy stronger, right, And we have to make a relationship between those messages. So we've been talking about the same thing all of us have been talking about nationally. Wages, work and wealth. I mean, those are the three things that we're pushing in this state and in this country. Right. We need better wages, we need increased opportunities for work in our communities, and we need a pathway to wealth here and all Americans want that. You know, we just have had the greatest obstacles in our way. And remove our obstacles. Everybody obstacles get moved, and history has proven.
Speaker 6: That, Mayor raz I'm going to bring Tiffany Drew into our text. The one thing that we talk about the most historically is the nineteen seventy two Gary and Dianna National Black Political Convention. I'm bringing that up with intention because you represent a largely black space in Newark that is becoming increasingly more black and brown. But we also know historically that when we do for us, it benefits everybody.
Speaker 4: So when you reflect.
Speaker 6: On what your dad was building in nineteen seventy two and Gary and what you have continued to build as in elected office, but taking that pledge, even though you didn't sign it, you have definitely held true to the tenets of that convention. What do you think are the three areas that we need to be implementing? One in New Jersey, but nationally, if we could as a people, what should we be.
Speaker 5: Doing based on what they've said there?
Speaker 6: So, yeah, So when you think, like DC statehood, wages, all of the things that they brought up in seventy two and that agenda, what are some of the things that you're like, if we did these three things, we would be a hell of a lot further than where we than where we are.
Speaker 5: I think reparations is clearly one of the top three on that list. I mean, I think that's incredibly important, and all that means is to make sure we remove obstacles out of long historic obstacles out of people's way and give them the opportunity to perform, to give them a chance at bat, whether it's in the form of education or earned income tax credits, or opportunities for capital to purchase homes, to destroy that wealth gap, to be able to grow in terms of their business. And I think that that's clearly one of the things I remember, you know, Queen mothermore passing out flyers and that thing. We need reparations. We need reparations. That's that's clear. People have been talking about that for a long time, and I think some form of that has to happen, and some discussions around what that looks like in states are talking about it, and we need to make that a national push, and we need to say what we mean when we say reparations and what and what we actually want. It's not enough to say reparations in a theoretical sense. We have to say it in a really digmatic and material way. What are we talking about, uh? And and who should get it right? And that's that's real and and I think that's incredibly important UH as well uh, a pathway there. There was a big fight in there to me about you know, unions and and unions were walking out because there's a whole struggle even today about unions and their inclusion of black and brown people, uh in those unions. And I think the trade unions and our ability to get engaged in helping build the communities that we actually live in is very very important. And we need to sit down with these trade unions and figure out how to make sure that young black and brown boys in these communities have immediate, quick and deliberate access into these unions to help build their communities. That absolutely positively needs to happen right away because these are good paying jobs. The building is not going anywhere. We need more. In fact, there's a gap, a hole in construction trades. As you know, they need to high more people, and so we have a lot of people that are available to be hired, you know, that's for sure. So I think that's incredibly important for us. You know. I also add DC statehood is important too, and I would add that, you know, because it gives us more representation, you know, you know, prayerfully, it allows us on another senator right to more senators. It allows us an opportunity to have more influence nationally and what's going on in Congress, and we desperately need that now more than ever before, you know. But ultimately I think that all of us we need a real convention like that again, like across these states. We need a convention that brings us all together where we brainstorm these issues in a very real way to talk about a pathway forward because a lot of people are doing their own thing and it's time for us to do something collective.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully you'll come on June nineteenth through the twenty first. We're going to do that with State of the People. You know, I talked to Larry Ham yesterday, so.
Speaker 6: Hope that you'll be able to come and hopefully, mister mayor with good news on the other.
Speaker 4: Side of an election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Thank you governor for joining us. I'm predicting good news, So thank you governor for being here. And I just want to want to take a quick note to our viewers that even if you don't live in New Jersey, in this environment we're in, governors are on the front lines to push back against this administration. And so I don't live in New Jersey. But I'm deeply invested in your race, and we all need to be deeply invested in these races as a people. So thank you, and I'm sure that Alphus will appreciate that shout out you gave them.
Speaker 3: Good luck mayor soon to be go.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: And with this case, yes, yeah, how do you catch you trying to catch an election?
Speaker 4: You catch a case like yeah.
Speaker 3: Believe me that he's exhibiting the kind of courage that any of us should want in a governor.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I mean, he didn't point it out for himself, but at the time that he was arrested, the had already been there days before, doing the same thing, day after day, bringing attention to this illegally operating facility in his city. So when no cameras were there, when the threat of arrest, did you know, seemed you know, much less real than it actually became, he was standing in the gap. And I think that's the kind of that's the kind of leadership you want. And I think, ladies, beautifully, I loved that he really sensed his argument in one of economics. Uh, you know, we drove him in other directions to talk about things that we wanted to hear his voice on the record on. But he was talking tax breaks, tax incentives, home ownership, wealth building strategies, ensuring that you know, startup equity is available, you know, to all people across races and genders. That I think that's a powerful salient message, one that the party nationally needs to get with. But but I really love home home base for him, which sounds like helping people get the resources they need to provide for themselves and their family and beyond.
Speaker 4: Well, I I I want to just tell y'all.
Speaker 6: So I went to Fox News, I know, but I wanted to look on here because they have an article about Mayor RAS's speech and it says Newark mayor compares self to biblical hero in wake of ice protest arrests. This is our David moment. These jack asses call this thing a political rally, are and completely misrepresent No surprises there. What his point was. He was saying that this is our collective David moment, and if all we have is a few smooth stones in a slingshot, we could take it on now. If people don't understand how the United States government functions as a goliath in the face of every David. Whether you're you're David because you're hungry, or you're Dad because you're incarcerated, or you're David because you're an immigrant and you're not protected, or you're the child of one and you're a dreamer.
Speaker 4: You're a David because.
Speaker 6: You don't know if you're going to be able to read the books you need to actually learn in your classroom. You might be David because it's like the woman I talked about who's a school teacher but sleeps in her car. There are a gazillion David's in this country, and we should not be trivializing that.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, the people, their audience is ninety four percent white. They're mostly conservative people, so they're you know, I don't know there, you can never I don't look for reason there, you know, And I don't think a majority of sensible people are looking at their website or consuming their their news every single time. Big it could be.
Speaker 4: A kill it on numbers.
Speaker 1: And so because country is majority white.
Speaker 6: So if one of them happened, one of them, David's happened to click on us over here, David's, I hope that they hear the rationale was actually just said, there are also entities that are black owned that do this same kind of thing, And so in case they thought they was gonna run this same point, that's why I'm bringing it up because it's clickbait. In case you were gonna run the same point, at least run the clip back before you get your clickbait said.
Speaker 1: That's something I think that might be a good mini pod if y'all want to do it, because what you just said, Angela about black outlets picking up conservative talking points, which they do from Fox, because I have seen them much. Yes, and for me personally, like even when you were saying that, I'm like, I don't care what white people reading, what they think about, Like, I just don't have the energy. Should we should we care? Should we be talking to white folks? Y'all want to talk about that on Mini pot or no care?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely want to talk about it, because.
Speaker 1: Well, was that about that on Mini pot? But now, so y'all be sure that they called it a political rally, I'm mad as hell about that.
Speaker 4: That is not what this was.
Speaker 1: Well, luckily not to we don't share too many audience men is with them. Okay, On the other side, of his break. We got calls to action, and given everything we talked about on this show, you want to stick around for this one. Now it is time for calls to action. Alls to action, and I want to know what everybody's calls to action is? Do y'all want me to go first? Y'allready? Who got one?
Speaker 3: Going with the hosts?
Speaker 6: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Going with it? I was like, and to comfortable, pak leave in?
Speaker 3: Are right now.
Speaker 4: Going with it? That would actually be in this song, you know, arrative.
Speaker 3: To counter the Fox narratives here that's actually.
Speaker 4: Should be to Fox. We should call Fox. That call.
Speaker 1: That sound like it could be a big bobble song. I feel that's about this. Don't still our idea if y'all make that song, y'all.
Speaker 4: But you got it? What's your mumbo rap gonna be? Tip? What's your mumbo rap gonna sound like?
Speaker 1: I gotta work on it. I'm not a good freestyler.
Speaker 4: It's a mumble rap. So you ain't got a thing too art.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be like, what are you saying?
Speaker 1: Make that money for the rip?
Speaker 3: Hey? They got it's I'm wrong with us.
Speaker 1: I blame it on the New York Traffic Today. I just brig get that info, then leave and does how to make see I'm talking about No, I was in the car. We were listening anyway she was.
Speaker 3: She was definitely checking messages because.
Speaker 1: Well, because Andrew said, gone away to hell, I'm about to go with my call to action. I'll be quick.
Speaker 4: I'm not. You should make them go after that.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is my call to action, aside from y'all still not using your headphones when you're public. There're driving me crazy. I don't want to hear a conversation. But this is the real call to action. For every single time that you say, that's not my problem, I'm minding my business. When you say, well, they voted for him, so shoulder shrug, I would just ask, please don't consume the spoon fed media narrative. That is a lie. Every community of color voted overwhelmingly for Kamala Harris. You can take a look and disaggregate the data for yourself. Us try to have I want to encourage people try to have some curiosity and not just take things that are being fed to us, because that is with intention. They can sit back and laugh while all the black and brown folks are fighting with each other and they are depending on apathy to keep If you're waiting for some imaginary line for this fight to come to your door, that line has been crossed. And this fight has to be all of ours. At fourteen percent of the population, we can't win it on our own. So I would just ask us to reach deep into our humanity and get into this fight. That's my CTA.
Speaker 6: I love it. Who nicks Okay, I will go. Mine is more of a testimony, and it's a testament to this show. And had I thought better about it, I probably would have ran the clip back. But we had a young man named Jaya who's sent in a question about how to get involved after feeling hopeless in this moment. And when I tell y'all, Jaia ran so much of the Newark State of the People Power Tour event. He was the rally stage lead. He was tremendous, and he turned around on that stage yesterday and said, Angela, this is because you told me to get involved. And I am like, this is how it's done, like one mind at a time, and that one mind being changed touched hundreds of lives yesterday in Newark. So Jaia, I'm shouting you out and all of the Jayas that have felt that but didn't send in your question.
Speaker 4: We still will receive your questions.
Speaker 6: I just want you all to know we see you, We thank God for you, and it takes young people like you to really make the difference.
Speaker 3: You're here. He was like, put me in, coach.
Speaker 6: He was no, he didn't even wait to be put in. He was just like, I'm drafted. What's good, I'm going, let's go.
Speaker 3: He showed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well mine specific to person. Now, you said I heard.
Speaker 4: You, Well, you said I heard I.
Speaker 3: Heard that host, host, host, the the T, the S and T silent. Well, bitch, that's a whole word. Excuse me for the production break production, We gotta go. All right, this is my day. If you see any of my people, tell them happy Birthday. Between now and then, my wife Jay celebrated her birthday, and my son David's birthday is today as he celebrates with a broken arm. And on Monday. This upcoming Monday, my twins will turn eleven.
Speaker 1: Happy Birthday, amazing.
Speaker 6: Believe Mother's Day and the happy belated Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: As always, we want to remind you guys, please please please leave us a review and subscribe to native Land Pod where on all the platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday and Friday. But also don't forget about our solo pods on Monday and Tuesday. And if you want to check out more, please tune into our girls Jamail Hill on Politics and there's even another show off the Cup. Those are the other shows on Reason Choice Media Network. And of course don't forget to follow us on social media and subscribe to all of our text or email lists on our website. You can check that out at native landpod dot com. We are your hosts, Tiffany Cross, Angelari and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. There are five hundred and thirty seven days until mid term elections, assuming we will still have you one.
Speaker 3: Of the last morning plea.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives attention with the info and all of the latest Rock Gilliman Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choices clear, so grateful it took to execute rolls Hick. Thank you for serve, defending and protect the truth, even if pain they will Welcome home to all of the Natives wait.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.