Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with Super Bowl sixty. The Seattle Seahawks beat the New England Patriots twenty nine to thirteen for the franchise's second NFL title. For the details, we bring in Bloomberg's John stash Hour.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 5: All right, Nathan, thank you. There's that old sports cliche offense wins games, defense wins championships. It was the Seattle defense that carried them to the victory in Super Bowl sixty and Santa Clair. In fact, the Seahawks defense scored as many touchdowns as their offense.
Speaker 6: The Patriots have a first down and the clock is ticking at four thirty eight, and they trailed twenty two to seven. Shot Gun snap forty four Seattle. He's ben as he dropped the the.
Speaker 7: Ball brief picked up by long few running down the five thirty twenty ten five.
Speaker 5: Touchdown that we won. The call of one of three second half turnovers by Patriots quarterback Drake May. He got sacked six times. New England through the first three quarters had only five first downs and only seventy eight yards of offense. The Seahawks won twenty nine thirteen, winning back Kenneth Walker with one hundred and thirty five yards named Super Bowl MVP. Much work coming up in sports. John Stash I, we're Bloomberg Radio Care and we.
Speaker 2: Look at markets now. Nathan Bloomberg has learned that Chinese regulators have advised financial institutions to reign in their holdings of US treasury, citing concerns over concentration risks and market volatility. The guidance, which was communicated verbally to some of the biggest Chinese banks in recent weeks, reflects growing weariness among officials that large holdings of US government debt may expose banks two sharp swings. Bloomberg's Mark Crinfield covers Asian markets for Bloomberg News.
Speaker 8: The Chinese authorities are warning their banks at home. If you have got treasury holdings at the moment, or US bonds in general, prepare for a lot more of a relativity possible step and you might not be the only ones. Don't be the last one out of the gate, because once the bolla and bond start to move, it could be pretty big. In these situations where treasuries haven't moved a great deal over the past few weeks, all the tendacy could increase very quickly. Nobody wants to be the last person through the exit door.
Speaker 2: Bloomer's Mark Cranfield says the move was framed around a diversifying market risk rather than anything to do with geopolitical maneuvering or a fundamental loss of confidence in US credit worthiness and.
Speaker 3: Staying in Asia. Karen Japan's Prime Minister Sunday Atakaichi secured a historic election triumph, marking her as the most powerful leader in Japan's post war era. Takaichi's Liberal Democratic Party one a two thirds super majority in Sunday's lower House. Election analysts say would be a clear mandate for Takaichi to use fiscal stimulus to break a long standing deflationary cycle. Treasury Secretary Scott Besson spoke about the election on Fox News' Sunday Morning Futures Japan.
Speaker 9: The Prime minister called a snap election the quickest apple election in Japanese history, and boy has she had a big victory today. She's going to have two thirds majority in the upper House. President Trump in doorst last week she is a great ally great relationship with the President, and when Japan is strong, the US is strong in Asia.
Speaker 3: That was Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant on Fox News. Later on x Takaichi said she's looking forward to visiting the White House in the spring to strengthen the Japan US alliance in.
Speaker 2: The UK and Nathan Keir Starmer's future is in the balance after a crisis over the appointment of Peter Mandelssohn as ambassador to Washington, claimed the Prime Minister's closest aid we head to London. Now get the latest of Bloomberg's James Who Wilcock James, good Morning.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Karen. Nathan the Prime Minister meets his Labour party mall makers tonight, as his aides tell Bloomberg they are bracing for some U Stamas senior ministers to walk into Number ten Downing Street and threaten to quit unless he steps down. Eighteen months after winning a landslide majority, the UK leader's job is on a knife edge. It wasn't supposed to be this way, but a series of policy U turns, uplomenting popularity and now fallout from the Epstein saga has changed the narrative around this Prime minister. Now in markets and in Westminster, many are asking if his days are numbered. In London, James Wilcock Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, James, thank you. Iran's president Massud Pezeshkian described Friday's nuclear talks with the US as a step forward. In an online post. The leader said dialogue has always been Iran's strategy, but he added the regime would not be intimidated. In recent weeks, President Trump has moved large amounts of military power to the Middle East and threatened strikes. The President called Friday's talks quote very good and said another meeting is set for early this week.
Speaker 2: And Washington, Nathan lawmakers have less than a week to reach an agreement on reigning and immigration enforcement before funds run out for the Department of Homeland Security. House Minority Leaderhikim Jeffrey says Democrats won't give in on any of their demands on border patrol and immigration and customs enforcement.
Speaker 4: We know that ICE is completely and totally out of control. They've gone way too far and the American people want them reigned in.
Speaker 2: House Minority Leader HOCKEYM. Jeffries discussed democrats lists of ten proposed restrictions on CNN State of the Union. Republican Congressman Tony Gonzalez of Texas says some demands like body cameras make sense, but he says Republicans will not give in on other proposals.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you what's not going to be in there. Amnesty for illegue aliens. I'll tell you what's not going to be there, Stripping away protections for law enforcement officers that are trying to protect themselves. If writers get to wear masks, then law enforcement gets some wear masks.
Speaker 2: Texas Republican Tony Gonzalez appeared on CBS's Face the Nation, which you can hear every Sunday on Bloomberg Radio. If Congress can't reach a deal by Friday night at DHS shutdown would affect Customs and Border Protection FEMA, the Transportation Security Administration, and the Coastguard. ICE would still have seventy five billion dollars in funds from President Trump's tax and spending cut law.
Speaker 3: Caring the Trump administration plans to appeal a temporary court order blocking the federal government from withholding funds for a sixteen billion dollar rail tunnel under the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey. The Gateway Development Commission is building the new tunnel, but had to stop construction late Friday because it has exhausted all its funding resources. New York and New Jersey sued the administration in federal court after Gateway filed its own lawsuit in an effort to unlock more than two hundred and five million dollars of federal funds. In the Court of Federal Claims. On Friday, a federal judge sided with the States and ordered the Trump administration to release the funds.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan. In a message posted to social media this week and today's show anchor Savannah Guthrie addressed whoever is holding her mother. She appeared alongside her siblings, and Guthrie said they will pay ransom for her return.
Speaker 12: We received your message, understand. We beg you now to return our mother to us so that we can celebrate with her. This is the only way we will have peace. This is very valuable to us.
Speaker 4: And we will pay.
Speaker 2: Investigators believe Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will last weekend from her home just outside Tucson. DNA test show blood on Guthrie's front porch was a match to her. That is according to the Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos.
Speaker 3: And in company news Karen Novo Nordisk's shares are surging this morning. They're up more than eight percent, reversing some of last week's plunge. That's after Hymns and Hers Health pulled a copycat version of the new Wagovi weight loss pill. Hims and Hers says it'll stop offering the treatment. It said so in a post on X on Saturday, that was a day after the Food and Drug Administration pledged to crack down on copycat weight loss drugs. HIMS and Hers shares in the pre market are down nearly fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: Time now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, Good Morning, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, Karen. The Seahawks beat the Patriots twenty nine to thirteen, but one of the most talked about moments of Super Bowl sixty appeared to come from the halftime headliner Bad Bunny. The halftime performance was a piece of history, with Bad Bunny becoming the first Spanish language artist to headline the show good.
Speaker 2: Son.
Speaker 4: President Trump said his dislike of Bad Bunny was the chief reason he opted not to attend Super Bowl sixty, but for many fans, Bad Bunny was the number one reason they were there. Senior Nielsen VP Stay CD armists the.
Speaker 12: Latino fan base is set to grow with the NFL, and Nielsen data tells us things are lined up perfectly for a win.
Speaker 4: Kid Rock was the headliner at the conservative alternative to Bad Bunny's main event at the Super Bowl last night. Turning Point USA's All American halftime show was streamed during the concert. There are renewed concerns about press freedom in Hong Kong and beyond after Jimmy Lai, the seventy eight year old pro democracy, former media tycoon and a fierce critic of Beijing, is sentenced to twenty years in prison. Lai was prosecuted under China's National Security Law. The list of Republicans criticizing President Trump for the video that depicted former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama in a racist meme is growing. From Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, the Senate's only black Republican to dozens of other members of Congress. There is condemnation for posting it in the first place, and calls for a public apology. Mark Morel, president of the National Urban League, says this is beyond how a world leader should behave.
Speaker 13: It doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't take responsibility, and the fact that he would not very quickly take responsibility and say it was wrong is why the Congress, by joint resolution should condemn this.
Speaker 4: The Urban League's Mark Moreel is also calling on religious leaders to tell President Trump to apologize. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Ray, Michael Barr, thank you time now for the Bloombergy Sports update is brought to you by Flushing Bank. And for that we bring back John stash Our, John, good morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks Karen. Super Bowl sixty dominated by the defenses. It wasn't until the fourth quarter that anyone got into the end zone.
Speaker 6: Darnald under center five at the defensive line. He gets the staff current, Blight picks the hand off her comps.
Speaker 3: To blitz Biergos.
Speaker 5: The throllers both hoop.
Speaker 7: Zone, good Quoder to hover the shutter cat for the cutter of the uncold, and we got a first touchdown. All Super Bowl sixty West.
Speaker 5: Been one on the call no tds first three quarters and then four in a span of eleven minutes, two for each team that Sam Donald td bass, followed by two from Drake May, but he also threw a forty five yard six six. May had three second half turnovers, He got sacked six times in the game, and Donald of the Seahawks beat the Patriots twenty nine to thirteen. Donald the Super Bowl winner after a rough first six years of his career, when he was considered be an NFL bust.
Speaker 14: I told my me and my dad don't really cry very often. And you know, I told my dad, I was, uh, you know, and my mom, but you know, just I was.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 14: I'm here because of their belief in me. And they believed in me throughout my entire career. And I think that's why I was able to believe in myself almost at nausea.
Speaker 5: And Donald his last two seasons won thirty one game. Seahawks now two and two in their her history and Super Bowls. The Patriots are now six and six. The next weekend began with that thirty eight point loss in Detroit, with then a twenty two point win in Boston to tie them with the Celtics for second place in these. Jalen Brunson, who shot four for twenty on Friday this time, scored thirty one. The Dolphin Phoenix won by American and Chris got her up in a playoff with Adeki matsu Yam. It's already his second.
Speaker 4: Win of the year.
Speaker 5: Two gold medals for the US and the Olympics. Breezy Johnson the women's downhill, only the second American to win it. The other was Lindsay Von sixteen years ago. She crashed fourteen seconds. In nine days after Von tore racl she broke her leg in a repeat gold for the US and teen figure skating. John Stashy I went at Bloomberg Sports Karen Nate.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business opp This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good Morning, Van Hager, Treasury yields are rising across the curve this morning, with sources telling Bloomberg News the Chinese regulators are urging the country's banks to limit their exposure to US government debt. People familiar are saying they're citing concerns over concentration risks and market volatility. For more, We're joined by Sylvia west All, Bloomberg News Managing director for FX and Race. She's in our London newsroom this morning. Sylvia, good morning. How significant could this Chinese warning be for US treasuries?
Speaker 15: I think the timing is quite interesting. I mean, why, you know, they did frame this around diversifying risk, but there has been this sort of recent global trend that's seen India and Brazil lower their exposure to treasuries and growing doubts kind of about the appeal of US assets. You've had Trump's threats over Greenland, You've had just general on needs there, and that's spurred the hunt for alternative assets such as gold. Although overall, I think, you know, we have to look at the bigger picture here and overseas. Holdings of treasuries actually in November to the highest level on record. That's the most recent data we have so we have countries like Norway, Canada, and Saudi Arabia offsetting some of the countries, including China, that have have sort of let let let treasuries go. And overall last year as well, treasuries had their best returns for a long time, and the particularly well compared to other peers. So it was actually quite a good time to hold treasuries last year, whether you were you know, domestic or foreign investor. So there's a there's a sort of broader picture here to tell, but definitely in terms of timing, in terms of what it says symbolically, it's an important shift.
Speaker 3: And part of this timing is Treasury Secretary Scott bess And on Fox News yesterday saying that Chinese traders could be part of the reason why we saw the volatility in gold last week. Does this point to a new tension point between the US and China.
Speaker 15: It's definitely been something whenever the US has had tensions with countries around the world that treasuries have come up, because of course, so much of you know, the huge amounts of US that are held overseas. I think I guess the question mark is, you know what kind of comes into the FED and what his outlook is. I do think we're probably going to see more of this back and forth going forward if you kind of look at what the sort of signals that are being sent and the timing of it as well, given the sort of question marks over over US assets coming. So, I think we're in for a period of volatility in different countries, and different people might blame one or the other, but I think what's certain is that you know, in this time of volatility, people might try and hold their positions and see where things where things go. That's definitely what we saw towards the end of the year with treasuries. Many of the big investment houses held firm on their calls and held onto their what they were doing because there was so much uncertainty out there.
Speaker 2: This is Bloombery Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or manywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time. I'm on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York. Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 1: Plus.
Speaker 3: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Bray