Speaker 1: Music Saved Me. Welcome to the Music Saved Me Podcast. I'm your host, Lynn Hoffman, and this is part two of Music Saved Me, featuring the legendary iconic Darryl dmc McDaniels from Run DMC. We're going to pick up where we left off. I was just about to introduce Darryl to a rising star in the music world who I think is probably going to be a massive star. Let's see if Darryl agrees. A couple of weeks ago, I had a young man who's a huge rising star in my book. His name is Dylan Cartlitch and a couple of years well, let me just say, multi instrumentalist from the UK a couple of years ago signed a deal with Universal. He was raised on all kinds of music, but he came up through the foster care system and a really really tough life grown up and this young man, I don't want to say kid, but I feel like I'm old, so anyway means a kid. But he basically took lemons and made them lemonade and and and sort of beat the odds. And he's so positive and optimistic and just amazing. So I was doing my research on him and he had the single he just released in November. It's called New Day. And so I read all about his story and I'm already impressed because he's somehow, at his young age, he figured out how to how to be optimistic and to turn it around. I mean, there's when you're when you're young and hungry. Yeah, maybe you're exposed to stuff that you don't necessarily know how to understand round pack and then later I could get you. But he already sort of went through that, just coming through what he went through as as a child, and he was taken out of the home away fares stories.
Speaker 2: That's why we started the Feelix organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he and and so I listened to his song, and every time I tell my husband this story, I start to get teary because I listened to his song and I could hear the smile on his face and the optimism and the hope and the light and all of this stuff, and it just burst into tears. And I'm thinking postmenopausal. No, it has to be you know, this young man just has it all and that.
Speaker 2: But so they do have it at an early age, they do.
Speaker 1: So I said, I finally get him on the show.
Speaker 2: It's bold and he's able to just express him now too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And they had this like documentary follow him around. He was a waiter at night. He would DJ and rap and do hip hop and all this stuff so much fun. So I say to him, I think he's in his early thirties right now. And I said to him, so tell me about your earliest influences and your earliest experiences with music. And he started to tell me about some of the artists that he listened to, and let me just I'm gonna play for you. I have a cute up here, are you ready.
Speaker 3: I remember going to my one of my older brothers from my you know, adoptive family. I went to one of his wedding and I never forget the first time that I heard It's Tricky by run DMC.
Speaker 2: I must have.
Speaker 3: I must have been about six years old, right, and I was. I was allowed to go to the party my brother, you know, it was his wedding, and so one of my older brothers like, Okay, we're gonna look after you and you can stay till late, so like get in no bedtime today, and then that song I just requested over and over again and was dancing and dancing and dances run.
Speaker 1: DMC was a huge band for me too, So I totally I can hear that song right now. It's it's okay and then yes, that's d MC. I bet it would just make him so thrilled to note that he influenced you.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So can I just say.
Speaker 2: All of it?
Speaker 4: It's all connected, It's so connected, it's all connected.
Speaker 1: Let me can I play this chorus from the song for you? Okay? This is this is Dylan?
Speaker 4: Listen, it's a smile.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean just amazing. So as soon as I found out coming on this show, won't and that's okay, that's okay. Who figures that out? That's amazing. So I'm just curious if if I were to beam one Dylan Cartilage with his new record deal and all of his amazing music in here to ask you a couple of questions, would that be okay?
Speaker 2: Yes? Whoa, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's standing by in the UK right now, it's like seven hours ahead and I offered this, so.
Speaker 2: Look, we have adopted family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a lot of people have more in common than we don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to bring that over here, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: I do a lot with elementary school kids, and Yellen's a prime example of they have all the they have all the capabilities and abilities to deal with emotional problems early in their lives. But a lot of times we do this. Don't think like that, don't talk like that. You're too young to talk like that. Now you just scarred this kid for life because you just told them that that emotion that I was suppressed was the wrong thing to have. Yes, So when they get in their teens and adolescence, when that same thing comes up for them to end because the mom and dad ain't around, they're gonna cut, they're gonna drink because they're subconsciously pushing it. If they come at you three and four years old, you're supposed to send them down and say why are you talking like that?
Speaker 2: Where'd you get that?
Speaker 5: And they won't explain it, but we go you're too young to talk about that, don't do that anymore. So they hold it and when it comes to them later or they remember, no, that's the wrong thing. So for him to be go through hell, yeah, I was a forster kid for five years.
Speaker 2: My brother.
Speaker 4: Once all of this came out, my brother tells me, d don't you know if you never asked him that, they would have never told you. What happened was my birth mother didn't come back to get me. And when my brother told me that, I remember this kid named Oscar who I thought was my cousin. And I remember one day Alfred's telling me Oscar's mother here to gain him. I think it's my aunt. I remember the day Oscar left. He never came back. He was a foster kid that got played because the whole idea is to get you back with the family, but a lot of times the kids can't go back to the families.
Speaker 2: So there was this other girl. She came.
Speaker 4: I think she probably was like I probably was four, she probably was two or three.
Speaker 2: Then she cried all night. I'm talking, and I.
Speaker 4: Remember I was trying to stay off, thinking I was going to stay off four to sea.
Speaker 2: I woke up the next morning she was gone.
Speaker 4: But my brother saiddee, there was a lot of people you thought you was your cousins. Who the reason why he don't see him no more? Those are fussy.
Speaker 2: Kids like you.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: So my brother tells me he heard my mother and father. This one be in my movie too.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm doing a series because I got so much stuff I need to doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I got to do a series about this kid.
Speaker 4: But long story short, my father goes to my my mother goes to my father.
Speaker 2: There's a true story.
Speaker 4: My brother tells me, I'm in the room playing with my toys, and my mama goes.
Speaker 2: What are we going to do with this one? Yeah, you hear them? No, I don't hear.
Speaker 4: My brother hears it, and my father goes, you know what, I think we're going to adopt this just like this.
Speaker 2: What are we gonna do with this one?
Speaker 4: I think we're going to adopt this one because you never know, he might grow up to change the world.
Speaker 1: Oh goosebumps.
Speaker 2: So these kids, no matter how.
Speaker 1: Here's this wonderful, amazing I'm trying to make him bigger. Scream here Dylan me Darryl, Hello Dylan DMC. And I can't believe I'm not crying.
Speaker 3: Hello DMC?
Speaker 2: How are you? How are you doing? I'm doing good? Telling us honor to meet you, man.
Speaker 3: No, the honor is all mine. Link couldn't have explained it better. So I yeah, I grew up in the foster cair system. I had so many different families that I went to stay with. I got it at one point and didn't work out. My foster mom is an amazing woman. She's fostered over forty six kids. She's had kids, and I'm one of those kids. And I was saying at my foster brother's wedding, I was only six years old, and I somehow managed to beg and plead that I could go, and then yeah, one of my brother foster brother's friends had to look after me. And it was a lovely day. It was obviously all about my foster brother getting married, but it was the day that I got struck by lightning and discovered hip hop when I heard it tricky, and so the whole wedding then became about me requesting the DJ to play over again.
Speaker 2: I was dancing.
Speaker 3: It was crazy, but yeah, that's the story.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's only six, like you when you started, you were telling me years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that we got a lot in common.
Speaker 4: I was six years old when I heard on the Doobie Brothers and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's crazy how it goes full circle like that, right, And it really set me off on a journey and to discovering that music, and although I was only six years old, I feel like and it was really hilarious because I saw an interview that you did where you said that that song was something that you wanted to impress Paul McCartney.
Speaker 1: With and kind of like all the white people.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious because my foster family are old white people, so young black kid adopted by old white people.
Speaker 1: And even the laughs infections.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I told Dylan how special you were, and I just I could feel him right through the screen, and I just I needed to connect you to Dylan. Did you have any questions that you wanted to ask Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a couple of questions, if that's okay, okay. One of the questions is you've touched on it a little bit, so for me, one of the questions I wanted to ask you is a lot of artists struggle with identity and belonging. It's kind of like a you know, the running joke, the kind of weird kid at the back of the class of the NPC making beats and yeah, lap, when did you did you have a moment where you were like, this is who I want to be as an artist, and this is who. Like what I want to say, like, what was that eureka moment for you in your like in your life, in your career.
Speaker 4: Well, prior to the music, I felt prior to the music, I felt like I didn't belong in this universe or whatever. But the thing that gave me a place for myself was comic books. Because when I was growing up, I went to Catholic school, I was a straight A student, I woke, I read comic books. So I was this geeky, nerdy kid that got teased, bullied and picked on and growing up in Hollis Queens. You know, if you ain't in the gang, if you ain't selling drugs, if you don't steal the bikes, if you don't steal the candy bars and stuff like that, if you're not doing what everybody else is doing. And I didn't want to do that, you fill out a place. So the only time I saw geeky, nerdy, awkward, confused people, people who were trying to figure life out but were bad, as was the comic books. Peter Parker, doctor Bruce Banner and all of these guys were educated. But even Clark Kent had to play clumsy and stuff like that even though he was Superman. So my Eureka moment was when hip hop came along.
Speaker 2: Like I was telling you, Lynn, I can't.
Speaker 4: Yo, I'm gang banging, and I'm Darryl Meck you know more, I don't do that. So with the same confidence that people was expressing a false sense of power in a negative way, I said, I'm gonna take my family in school and wearing glasses and eating chicken and colic greens, And with the same attitude enthusiasm that they brag about all of this rough, so called rough negative stuff, I'm gonna talk about, you know, going to Saint John's University and my mother and father in the same way. So when I'm trying to say, Dylan, my secret is this, and I tell kids when I go to speak at school, my whole life on stage Persona was me just pretending to be for the most powerful entergy in the hip hop universe. I was pretending to be a superhero on the microphone because I'm not a gang bang, I'm not a villain, I'm not a thug, I'm not a pimphanyer. But with the same attitude enthusiasm that they do that negative stuff. I'm gonna put that to all my positive stuff. But the only reason I had confidence to do that it was I looked at the superheroes.
Speaker 2: This is gonna blow your mind, Dylan.
Speaker 4: Most superheroes have adopted or forced to.
Speaker 2: Care situation in their lives.
Speaker 4: Superman saw his whole He didn't just lose his parents, he lost his whole world.
Speaker 2: Came here to Earth.
Speaker 4: His parents said Clark when he was of age, Sit down, there's something we need to tell you.
Speaker 2: Like my mama didn't me. What do you mean, Clark?
Speaker 4: We love you, but you're not really from here, and that gave him a sense of purpose. Peter Parker lost his parents, had to be raised by Aunt May Batman. Bruce Wayne saw his parents getting murdered in front of him, so he had to be raised. So all of these superheroes have forced the care and adoption situation, and even goes deeper than that.
Speaker 2: Two of the most infamous people in.
Speaker 4: The history of our existence of this planet have the same situations.
Speaker 2: Me and you have who you're talking about, d Moses.
Speaker 4: Moses' stories mother put him in the river because they were killing people in his town. He floated down the river, got picked up, but Pharaoh's daughter took into the palace. And then when Moses gives up age, this happens to him, Dylan, and this gives me the confidence to do what you was doing to me with the record I just heard. Moses gets a call from up above, Yo, yo yo, Moses, who's that.
Speaker 2: Not down here? Up here? Huh is God?
Speaker 4: Moses, I need you to go tell Pharaoh letting my people go. Now, if you think about Moses, people forget Moses murdered a man.
Speaker 2: He was a murderer.
Speaker 4: He killed a man in self defense and Moses needed Aaron to dictate for him because Moses had a speech impediment. See, people don't remember that. So God read the Bible. Moses had issues. He was a murderer. Number one, he wasn't from Egypt. He's an outcast like most of us feel. And he couldn't talk. He had a speech stuttering problem. So God told him to go there. And his other one, Jesus, Mary comes home and says, excuse.
Speaker 2: Me, Joe, that something I need to tell you. What.
Speaker 4: So Joe could have said get out of here, this and that, but he said, all right, this kid must have a purpose and he raised them. So I from my Eureka moment was comic books. But and it gave me the confidence to want to get on the mic and tell people. If I didn't have hip hop and rock and roll to express myself without the confidence that comic books gave me, I probably want to never started saying rhymes up on stage in front of people, because for me, it was just in my basement.
Speaker 2: Was for me.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what I was doing would touch a lot of other people.
Speaker 3: No, And I think it's amazing. I think I really really really vibe with that because it resonates to me how you talk about faith and also as storytelling, but also how storytelling and comic books can give you those stories out reaching your potential and like you know, not holding on, you know, not being seen to kind of have to aspire to this perfect life or this perfect person. Everybody has problems and everybody can reach the potential.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's more about like what you do with what you've got as opposed to like how it started, you know, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are perfect just the way we are, no matter even if we had traumatic situations in our lives, our situations not to find who we are we do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm a massive, massive like I massively resonates with me too. I've been there. I was listening to you know, when we were in the waiting room, I was having to listened to you know obviously what you were saying about being in that room and getting pancread dieders. I've been in that a similar situation where I've been there, had those you know, addictions, going on those things, and then where somebody's sitting down and saying, listen, if you don't stop drinking, like you know, this is this is this You're.
Speaker 2: Not on the head now, you know, And yeah, for real, you know.
Speaker 3: Self medicator and going through that stuff that I really yeah, really really it's really inspiring to you talk about that that darylne I just want you to know that, Yeah, your music, even though I was six years old and I couldn't yet form you know, crazy sentences or understand contexts like it hit me and I felt it, and yeah, it goes bigger beyond that. Money is Dylan Michael Cartage DMC initials you know.
Speaker 4: Oh why not both the wow guess even deeper whoa.
Speaker 2: The levels though?
Speaker 3: And I also definitely think there should be a comic book now, like, definitely a comic book where the super hero is a black samurai and it's like coming down from Moses and it's you he goes on his thing. I want to see an anime of this now, like a DMC.
Speaker 2: That would be brilliant. Helling right, wow, they know your initials a DMC too, yeah, yeah, ceiling wow.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more of the Music Saved Me Podcast. And by the way, if you like this podcast, you are going to love our companion podcast called Taking a Walk. It's hosted by my dear friend buzz Night and you can find it wherever you get your podcasts. Welcome back to the Music Saved Me Podcast, the podcast where we discuss the healing powers of music with some of the biggest names in music as well as up and comers.
Speaker 3: I have one more question for you, if that's okay, Elynn and Daryl, Yes, okay, because I think this is a really important question because, like you say, I really love what you do with the foundation and everything, and obviously you know your music and even like the what it's done for hip hop and where it's taken hip hop too, and I think I'm a recipient of that. I think I've been able to enjoy the blend of so many different styles and so many different cultures because it's been popularized by amazing people like yourself and the forefathers of the game, you know, essentially, you know, the question that I have is that, like you know, there's a lot of people that come through, whether it be the projects that come through adversity, that come through you know again, that want to find culture, that want to find belonging. And I think that's particularly prominent to you know, children who have been fostered or have been adopted, and you know, you found out you're adopted when you're thirty five, you know, after already you know, reinventing yourself artistically, you know, personally over times in your life, and when what happened for you spiritually, like in yourself, when you found out that the people that had showed you what the world has to offer, kindness, love, compassion, all the things that you'd you know, that showed you right from wrong, all these different things that you didn't those weren't the people that necessarily brought you into this world, you know, genetically or whatever, like, what did they do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: The first thing is I look at my birth mother and my adoptive mother as one entity of motherhood.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know that until I had to go through this to see that.
Speaker 4: It was my birth mother's job just to get me here, but it was my adoptive mother and my mother who raised me to get me where I was supposed to go, just like with you with your foster Kima. But that's your mom. I love that that's your mom. They're the ones that knew you had a purpose and a destiny. And every time I tell people that, they're blown away by that it was my birth mother's job just to get me here, but my adoptive parents to get me where I was supposed to go. So without both of those situations, I would have never made it where I was supposed to go. So it's a huge, huge, huge example of purpose and destiny. It's a huge example of your situation doesn't find who you are. But also it's also an example of none of your victories come by just you. Now, we have everything necessary for us to succeed, but a lot of times because of drugs, because of a lack of self esteem because of not having an understanding of how this universe works. Sometimes we don't achieve those goals and we end up in the grave or the crazy house or the jail. And when you look at the places that we all come from, I don't care whether it's America or if it's the UK or in Asia. All of the circumstances are the same. It's just different different stories. But most of these kids have everything necessary to succeed. And what I mean by that is it's important that you said the forefathers. Now when you listen into the message, it's like a jungle. Sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under. Oh, the message is a mental health record. People overlook, don't push the anger that we have in the violence and then reaching out and attacking everybody. But look what hip hop was able to do because of all of the different styles and culture of music that we sample, from jash to R and B to disco to funking, all of that. When the message came out, mostly every record was a message record. Here's what it is, broken glass and is that? But if you remember correctly, Dylan, when the soul sonic force in Africa. Bamboda came out with Planet Rock. The message was, here's what it is, But the Planet Rock, we know a place where everybody's eating and there's no fighting. Soul, Sonic Force, mister Biggs, Pow Wow and mc globe.
Speaker 2: We emphasized to show.
Speaker 4: We got ego, make thish not crocket by day as the people say, live it up, shuck snow, work or play.
Speaker 2: Our world is free, be what you want. Just be that record.
Speaker 4: The message was the record of the message, but Planet Rock was the vision which gave those kids. The Zulu Nation was the biggest street gang in New York City, the Black Spade, but they changed their name from the Black Space to the Zulu Nation and started doing things for the culture themselves in their society. So out of the negativity that they were inflicting upon their own, their neighborhoods and themselves, they turned that and took that power and started sharing it with everybody else. So me, Run DMC, ll COOJ Public Enemy Dayla Soul, we are offsprings of that. But it was Run DMC who had the boldness to put that on the forefront which touched you. But what I'm trying to say is I always tell these kids, is this hip hop culture or even the music business and stuff like that, It wasn't created by the executives and CEOs that run it. They have nothing without us, and most all from the even from the blues. The blues is the roots. Everything else is the fruits, who is created by individuals just like you did it from the same situations and circumstances.
Speaker 2: It's just that the music, turn the mic on, turn up the music.
Speaker 4: The music, the art form of it gives us the courage to not be ashamed of who we are, where we come from.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, by doing that, it shows.
Speaker 4: Us where we are able to go if we want to go there.
Speaker 3: And I cannot thank you enough that I really appreciate it. And I literally got to talk to you until the couch come home. The last thing I will say because I'm a bit of a gibby job, but I will talk it till the couch come home.
Speaker 2: But I love it.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that I have to ask you is is anything on a musical tip as an artist, is there anything that you feel like the new school has lost or that you feel like is the responsibility to get taken through to the next generation.
Speaker 2: You just said the word it's all good us.
Speaker 4: Oh geez, we are not mad at what the new school or we're not mad at what the younger generation is doing.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at what they're doing. I'm mad at what they're not doing.
Speaker 4: And what I mean by that is the typical rapper or MC, the typical hip hop person dealing the typical before we started getting these record deals, and even when we got these record deals, before it became part of the music business, the typical rapper was twelve to twenty five years old. We were young, but we were talking about history, economics, society, social issues. You said the word the only thing that's wrong with this generation of hip hop is that they're not being responsible and even as an artist overall, you know what I'm saying, and what I mean by that is generationally the perfect examples of who to look up to how to do this was always there. Let's take Neil Young for example. There was a shooting at Kent State University where the soldiers killed four college students. Neil Young woke up the next morning, not because of his manager, not because of his publicist. He ran to the studio and he wrote Ohio ten Soldiers and Nickson's Coming. That song is a hip hop song. Go listen to Neil Young's Ohio. He knew I got a responsibility. Another person, John Fogerty. They wrote records like Fortunate Son, because when I was a kid, I'm hearing presidents and governments. They wasn't disrespecting nobody. Their most important, their most important in entity and in the business is the people in the audience. And the nine times out of ten people look at me now, Like I tell kids, I wasn't I'm sixty now. I wasn't sixty when I changed the world. I wasn't fifty when I changed the world. I wasn't forty when I changed the world. I wasn't thirty when I changed the world.
Speaker 2: I wasn't twenty.
Speaker 4: Me and running Jay was fresh out of high school, and we were change, not just making videos and selling records. Unemployment that a record high, people coming, people going, people born to die. We learned that from people like Marvin Gaye, who was only known for love and sex.
Speaker 2: But he had to make What's going on and he did it against Barry people. Notice Berry Gard. He said, don't do that. Marvin is going to ruin you.
Speaker 4: But when he went out there and sung that for that first audience, they gave him a standing ovation.
Speaker 2: So the only thing but it's a mumble wrap.
Speaker 4: I was speaking in the school in the bron and the kids asked me, because I'm fifty now that I was fifty at the time, DMC, what do you think about mumble rap?
Speaker 2: They want me to hate it?
Speaker 4: Oh, you kids ain't saying nothing and this and that you're young, you young whipper snappers. But I hit and went I could relate to it, and you should have seen the whole attitude of the class chains I said, what do you mean by that? How could you supposed to hate it? I said no, I could relate to mumbo map mumble rap. And they said, why you're saying that, DMC. I said, you gotta understand something. The only difference between my generation and your generation is this. They said the same thing about us hip hop to Hibbit to Hibbit Dibby hip. They ain't say nothing. I said, when we got criticized, we stopped the music and the fun and we wrote it's like that.
Speaker 2: We wrote hard times. We wrote the message.
Speaker 4: I said, Tupac isn't celebrating in hip hop because he had Doug Life tattooed on him and he went to jail and the kids were, what do you mean by that? I said, Toothpock is love for two reasons. And this blew my mind when I said it, because the kids know, but they're afraid to do it because they're worried about how somebody's gonna think about them about being cool. I said, Tupac is worship than hip hop for two reasons. Damn Mama and Brenda had a baby and they said yo, and the kids said, dish yo. Those records sound ill. They went to that emotional state and they realized that, oh wow, we forgot Tupac did something that was important and responsible in the midst of all of fame, fortune and the money. So the only thing that's missing right now is get your money, have your fun. But what's going on, Dylan, is they're making records about sipping the syrup or shooting or taking the drugs and driving a fancy car and having a sex. When the next single we talked about this. You can make a record about the strip club, but why your next record isn't about fully clothed women like your aunts and your grandmothers, or your force to care mother who raised forty six forced the kids and put them on through coll They're shamed of rhyme about those reality things that exist because they're worried about their street Craig, and you know this dealing in the streets. When I was coming up, the pimps, the pushers in the gang bangers. If you could play a violin, if you could do ballet, if you could play some basketball, or if you were smart as hell. The pimps, pushes and the drug dealers were responsible too, because when they saw that in those young people, they say, yo, young buck, get your ass off this corner.
Speaker 2: You don't need to be out here.
Speaker 4: So now, in the music business, anything that's diluted, polluted, anything holy or sacred with power in our communities or cultures will get diluted, polluted and destroyed. Once you're in the entertainment business. What I mean by this, there's tupax out there, there's tretches and Naughty by Natures out there. Naughty by Nature made a whole song about sex in it and use one profane word. Yeah, you know it's a record about sex in it. But it's done in a creative, artistic manner where people look at Tretch and say you made this record, and trusted say you goddamn right. There's a lack of responsibility with the artists. Why arts succeeds where politics and religion fails. So the first thing they're gonna do one and you want to take over the world. Kill Dylan, kill dmc kill the songwriters, kill the playwrights, clear the journalists, clear to clear anybody that's creating dialogue and content and stuff like that about the real issues, like this talk show here, this brings people together. They don't want that, so they're gonna get rid of us so they can control us. We know, hip hop like punk rock, fuck the establishment. We're gonna address the way that we dress, were gonna make the music.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing.
Speaker 4: So you gotta have somebody explain to me you gotta have guts to be an artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that, Thank you, Thank you so much. And it's really interesting that you because I feel like there was a real romance between hip hop and rock music in the nies because it was an energy, like you said, never spirit spirit, that's the kindred spirits, you know, like I almost feel like hip hop has maybe recently been a little bit spoilt because there are people that put them on from that struggle that, like you say, it's kind of like been popular for so long in the mainstream. It has been like the biggest music genre in the world for like the last forty years. Yeah, I feel like almost there's it's almost had a little bit too good. You know, it's over genres like country or whatever that're coming back in a new way. Yeah, And I really hope that that that friction, you know, spouts up that pressure to you know, get that more socially conscious responsible.
Speaker 4: Well, for sure, I think that, Yeah, the way that you do it, you just you can't do it as an a gender. You just have to do it, you know what I'm saying. Because there was a time, you know, once one Cube, when ice Cube left n w A. Remember when he went solo. Now, everybody was like n w A was it's necessary, but we didn't need a hundred NWA groups.
Speaker 2: But when ice Cube.
Speaker 4: Left NWA and did America's Most Warning, he was brilliant because now he explained the emotional feeling of what he was saying on the NWA record. He said, if you go listen to America's most warning he was he was explaining what this individual who wasn't born that way was going through and why. Perfect example is the ghetto Boys. My mind playing see everything is mental, my mind playing tricks on me. Scarface wasn't like these rappers of the day praise me because I'm moving weight and selling coke and cracking guns. Most of the hip hop records were like, yes, that's a bitch ho motherfucking nigga.
Speaker 2: Nigga do we celebrate that like it's cool?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Think about it, and a lot of these young kids think they got to do that to be liked and be successful. But if you listen to the ghetto Boys, my mind playing tricks on me. Scarface was saying, at night, I can't sleep, Lord, show me another way. I don't want to do this, will it is Rhyme is saying, I'm paranoid. I'm about to shoot the old women in their car just ordering Popeyes like me. Bushwick Bill thought he was fighting somebody on Halloween and it was the drugs overtaking him. So they were telling stories that resonated with people's spirit and souls, which.
Speaker 2: Freedom a lot of us.
Speaker 4: But now it's being promoted that shoe in killing and selling drugs is cool. So these kids don't know no better. Why because the people like your songs ain't being heard in my songs ain't being heard. They exist. So it's up to us to fight the good fight. All we gotta do, Dylan is just keep on showing up. That's how we win.
Speaker 3: Will thank you, Dalla. It's been honoring a pleasure. And I have to send you through the new album too. It's in fact, please it's going to show up and it's all about responsibility and again wow.
Speaker 4: See look see you know all of this, yes, right you and you know all of this because you are that.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy every time I say something that he's already doing it.
Speaker 1: All right. So the weirdest thing is is and I'm getting the wrap signal because I have I have to say I knew this was going to happen. I saw it when he started talking and he started telling me a story, and I thought back to the story that you had. I you know, we've known each other twenty plus years, so I know. I just I had this feeling that you would connect like that and that he needed to hear what you had to say, and you need to hear him.
Speaker 2: This song is sick too, man. I want to cannot that song.
Speaker 1: I have a link. I want to think.
Speaker 4: Pete is incredible in everything in your flow, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Last Note Records is pretty special and they're the ones that helped us make this happen today, and they were very excited about it as well, so I wanted to thank them for helping it and Dylan. Sorry, I'm taking the camera just for a second.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hellolyn, how are we doing?
Speaker 3: Going good?
Speaker 1: Doesn't he have a great studio?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: That was absolutely and it's been amazing. So it's been such a cool experience for me. I'm a fun girl too much.
Speaker 4: I know it's all good man. We are fans of all each other. Yeah, because lyrics were just that little bit wait too here you've only delved in a little bit. Daryl, thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: I'm inspired by coming here today.
Speaker 1: I was inspired by him.
Speaker 4: And then I know, really know if the lyrics in his song you know what I'm saying, because everybody got somewhere that little bit just made me.
Speaker 2: Realize it ain't that bad. Matter of fact, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's nothing wrong, that's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: The bill's late, it's late, but everything's beautiful. Right.
Speaker 1: You're beautiful, Daryl. You're such a beautiful person. Oh, thank you your spirit and everything. And now I know why I enjoyed myself so much. Thank you so much, and just keep doing what you're doing. I didn't get a chance to talk to you about your children's book. You are on your way to Boston two years ago and you were going listen to this and you're going to my nephew's school. My brother, who also plays in a band, the Macharette Band, he said to me, you're going to have who come to your house, to your to your studio. And I said Darryl, And he said they spoke at our school. He came to speak it and my nephew was in sixth grade and he heard you speak and he was so inspired by you. And I thought, that's so weird, because I called you and you texted and you said, I'm on my way to Boston because of the book. This was just two years ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, going to his school.
Speaker 1: That's crazy schools in the city of Boston. You could have gone to you went to my nephew.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh my good real, Yeah, that was so nuts.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I'll go to a lot of schools to speak to the kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, and you're amazing for it. And that's why I wanted to connect you because I felt like he needed to take Well, you had to put down that was that was happening. Well, thank you for being on music save me. And I might have to have you come back again.
Speaker 2: I will, yeah, I will.
Speaker 4: You might have to