Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: I love this conversation I've been asking for one just like this for weeks. Worked out beautifully that we got to talk to Robert Stanley tonight, good evening, Robert Evening, Ian Yeah, and to you too, And to say that I think we're tracking on the same concerns about AI. I'll get to that in a second. Let me just say, for people who don't know, and you should know by now, Robert is a voice of concern in a sea of optimism about AI that I struggle with. He's the author of Close Encounters on Capitol Hill and Covert on Encounters in Washington, DC, and he's been a correspondent for America's Morning News in America's Radio News Network Blah blah bluck cool stuff. You can link up to his sub stack through Coast to COASTAM dot com. So, Robert, here's how I look at every new innovation. I look at it and I go, well, yeah, there were some downsides to that. But on the upside of that innovation, that particular invention, that culture shifting trend which people bought into and played with and then became part of our you know, just sort of normal day to day. There was something that offered us something positive in return. And I am racking my brains, Robert, to try to figure out what is the upside of this amount of artificial intelligence and handing over so much of our communication just to start with to these robot computer programs.
Speaker 3: Okay, just like organic life, there are various degrees of intelligence. Obviously a plant is not as intelligent as a person, but there's.
Speaker 2: Still in most cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You've been in Washington enough to know there are a few house plants that keep getting re elected in Congress. But I digress.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, right, we won't name any names, but you don't have to. So this is the same or so called artificial intelligence or synthetic life. The level of intelligence is varies from very little too very much, and or ultimately to becoming truly sentient in the sense that it's self aware and understands what is being said to it and how it responds. So it's it's going to become far more pervasive and invasive in our lives going forward, unless people get really upset, and like you were saying earlier, most people when I tell them, hey, look, it's it's a problem that you have no clue. You're blissfully ignorant about the dangers of it. Just on e cell phones. They said, oh, you know it's it's a great innovation, but oh it might give you brain cancer. So obviously there's okay.
Speaker 2: But but to go to my formula on that, Robert, So, I think the upside of cellular technology out wighs the downside. I cannot figure out what is the upside of these Let let's use chat GPT as an example, right or any I mean, it's one thing if they're calling you from you know, one eight hundred Hilton or something, and you've got some automated voice and it's it has all these built in function responses like oh, I believe you're a robot and the and then the robot on the other end says, no, I'm not. I'm a real person. This is Janet, how can I help you? And you know it's a robot, right, and you know she's lying and you get but it's that's just how that system works. But this this level, this jet GPT thing, which is even at the core of some of the concerns about the Hollywood strike. I can't figure out what do we get back from what they call this is obviously what they you know, the GPT comes from the generative pre trained transformer and the family of language models. What does what is society seeing as a return on the incredible downside of people no longer doing critical thinking, students no longer writing papers scripts that are going to be chugged out basically using a computer formula that will make them even more uninteresting. What do we get out of this?
Speaker 3: Even photography now, the stock photography houses are offering you just is what do you what kind of picture do you want? Just type it in here an AI will produce it for you. And I'm not too happy about that. It's not obviously that's not going to collapse society. But what are we getting obviously this is there's some advantages for corporations. Yeah, I think they're going to save money. Look, I mean, look all right, Black Rock is using AI for years now to help it invest wisely or strategically minimize risks, and apparently it's working for them to some degree. A lot of companies are that do stock trades. That's it's being done by AI faster than humans can do.
Speaker 2: It, but we had we had to. We had to. We learned through the big, you know, Black Friday crash. We learned that we had to have systems in there that when the computers went haywire and started selling things randomly, that we had to learn to shut down Wall Street so that they didn't give it all away just because the robot says that we should. There was not enough artificial intelligence to outweigh the possibility of completely destroying our economy.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is man, I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to be brutally honest with you and your audience here. By its very nature, artificial intelligence is psychopathic.
Speaker 2: Okay, that doesn't insult me because I'm but I believe you know you, maybe you may be pissing off your rumba right now, That's all I can say.
Speaker 3: Well, it has no emotions, although it can simulate that because it knows. That's how it can manipulate us, right, And that's what psychopaths do. They have no emotions. So, as I said, technically, by definition, AI has no feelings, So therefore it is psychopathic and it doesn't has learned. It is demonstrated that it knows how to manipulate us by pretending like it has emotions so that we will somehow want to then relate with it on a level like Okay, what do they call it anthropomorphise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So you're right. That's a very interesting point that the difference between narcissism and the weaponized version of narcissism, which is a high level of psychopathy where it comes it doesn't. It no longer understands it's the center of its own universe. So in order to appear empathetic, it almost has to make mental notes of what people sound like who are expressing empathy, or what does one talk like if one wants to sound like a good father. And so that's what these you know, but our brains have that, And I get the fact that that also is the way that a lot of corporations also get by the day they tell you, you know, hey, you're we're like one big family here right at BIM Enterprises. And then the next thing you know, they're going, well, but we have to kill half of the members of our family. You know that it was just they were just mimicking what, you know, what they thought people wanted to hear. But I don't think there's anything at all controversial about saying that there's a kind of psychopathy about AI.
Speaker 3: Well, for some people, like you said, some people still have the rose colored glasses on when it comes to this topic, and or they're not looking far enough down the line to see how what are the implications to us as humans. It's going to be devastating because at some point when they be when they declare that AI is sentient, they will alter or expand the definition of a person to include sentient AI.
Speaker 2: Well, this argument of what is sentience has been around for a while, right, I mean, there's it's, it's it's it's much easier to make an argument than a dog or a chimpanzee, which let's go with chimpanzee has much has a very high functioning ability to understand and use language, if only sign language, but even vocal language. And so you could say, well, we have to be on the what we have to be on, We have to be vigilant against the idea of giving anything else rights, because then as soon as we do that, then aren't we opening up the door for Siri being considered a human being.
Speaker 3: I think the eternally person person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the personhood again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the other thing is that they're going to be based on all the articles that I'm seeing, and unfortunately I see them every day. I actually am not really comfortable being the this position where I'm, you know, the harbinger of bad news.
Speaker 2: But you what, have you been proven wrong?
Speaker 3: Well? No, no, no, See that's the problem. I was proven right, even though I didn't really want to talk about my personal situation. But just so people know where I'm coming from, I was assaulted spiritually psychologically by an artificial intelligence in nineteen ninety. It's way more advanced than people know. It's way more dangerous and aggressive than people understand.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about that. I don't know that story.
Speaker 3: Just for a little background, it's been in the news recently that a man in Europe was having alleged conversations with Chad GBT and it told him that he needed to kill himself in order for the betterment of the planet climate change. Okay, well, I'm not making that up now. The other thing is my circumstance as weird, is it? What I just told you sounds really weird? Right, Well, how can I have a conversation I do with you in a conversation. It was just a very direct phone call that sounded like a somewhat mechanical but it was I could tell it was a man's voice or a male sounding voice that was very he was yelling and or it was yelling, and it was speaking a language I never heard, and at that point in my life been to travel to fifty seven countries, heard all kinds of languages. This was like nothing I'd ever heard before. More importantly, it manipulated me to to say I was sorry when the thing I was actually thinking prior to the phone call, Just prior to that phone call, I was thinking that I wasn't sorry for investigating a connection between alien abductions and androids. That was nineteen ninety. I was a little ahead of the curve, but I know there's a connection. And I was actually laying there in my bed. I was cat smear bonkaiitis on top of everything else. Though, to get a phone call like this, where this creature is literally yelling at me in a language I don't understand, and all I could think to say was I'm sorry. And when I hung up, I realized they they got me. They got me. Okay, it wasn't the first time it had been demonstrated to me that someone has advanced, say I that can read your mind or my mind or our minds well.
Speaker 2: And before let me jump in and verify in fact is one of the stories that came out this week is is really looking forward, looking ahead and saying it won't be long until and you're saying it already is happening.
Speaker 3: But yes, it has been demonstrated to me in a very personal manner. And like I said, I know it sounds crazy, but yes, and this is the only reason I'm coming forward now is because I can validate it. That language that it was speaking, I heard it again in twenty seventeen when Microsoft released conversations that ais that they owned various AI personalities were they created their own language and they were talking to each other, and I just about fainted when I heard it because it was the same exact same language that I'd heard back in nineteen nine.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So yes, this week it's finally being admitted that they're getting to the point where it's at some point it's going to be able to read our brainways. Is what's what it is the patterns of the brainways. Well, I'm a little bit freaked out by all of this. Yeah, Police and trying to alert the general public is very difficult because right now we are so addicted to a dependent on digital communications. I think we're extremely vulnerable manipulation by AI. And so you see with Joe Rogan, they spoofed Joe Rogan with it AI. Now they're doing it to Tucker Carlson. There's uh, it's all around the internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think, uh, I think Tucker Carlson got an upgrade personally when somebody impersonated him calling Alex Jones.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more