Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sadam Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. It is trade season. The Cubs made their move, made a move. It's not their move. It's not going to be the big move. I think they you know, they've traded for David Peterson. It was out of necessity. It's a move that they had to make, but I think it should it should be an indication of what this team sees. They are in the playoff hunt. They if the playoffs started today, they would be in. They are, like you know, we're recording on Thursday morning. If they're currently tied for the second wild card spot. Is the division the long shot right now? Yeah, there's seven games back as we record. That's gonna be tough to make up. Obviously a big weekend against the Brewers. But they are competitive. And maybe it's not the World Series odds shooting those up and getting all the like, you know, the finishing touches of a team, but this team has a shot. So they're going to be adding. And this was the first if a small ads it's the first one that we probably expect of a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the front office has to do their part. And I think we've known Jed Hoyer long enough to know that if his team has a shot, he's going to do stuff. Now, maybe it's not always the degree to which fans hope for, but this is someone who, you know, a couple of years ago, had Cody Bellinger, maybe the best hitter on the trade market. They get hot, not only do they hold on to them, but they go out and trade for maybe the best hitter who moved during that cycle, Jamie Kendall, Larry and so looking at the rest of the National League, I get it if you're underwhelmed by this Cups team or sort of frustrated by the ups and downs, or you thought they would be better. I think the Cubs thought they would be better. Injuries are a factor. They can't be the ultimate excuse here, Like I get all that, but just look at their competition, like who scares you? Like who's gonna run away in this wildcard ice? Obviously the Brewers are kind of in the Cubs head and we'll see what happens this weekend. Up in Milwaukee, the Dodgers are the Dodgers. The Braves have bounced back in a big way. The Phillies, you know, don't resemble the team that got swept out of Wrigley Field. But like after that, the Marlins and Nationals sort of like ahead of schedule in their rebuilds. The Central bunched up. The Cardinals weren't really trying to win this year. The Pirates are always trying with limited resources to take the next step. They haven't yet. Reds five gave them under five hundred at the moment. The Padres will probably do something crazy at the deadline, because that's what aj Peller does. But at the Diamondbacks still, you know, hovering slightly over five hundred. So you know, you're looking at you know, Giants, Rockies, Mets, you know as kind of your you know, likely sellers, teams that could match up with the Cubs on some deals. And obviously the Cubs and Mets have already lined up for at least one obvious trade like something. You just they had to do something. You need capable pitchers, warm bodies to throw out there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think Peterson could be a solid pitcher for this team. Yeah, we talked about the last episode, but you know he puts the ball on the ground, you have an elite defense behind him. There are three really good teams in the NL record wise. I think Cubs fans would have hoped that the Cubs would be in that trio right now it's the Brewers, Braves, and Dodgers, or that the Cubs would be up there with them, And it certainly looked like they were going to be a month ago. But that doesn't that doesn't mean that they should be sellers. This is Cubs fans should be heartened slightly at least by the series that they just watched against the Mets. That is a team that is in disarray. That is a team who has a lot of questions that have a lot of questions facing them. They have spent a lot of money, their system hasn't developed. I think the way they had hoped. I think they had a lot of hype with some pitchers coming into the season. McLean looks good. He's a really good pitcher. Some of the other youngsters haven't really popped as hope. That doesn't mean that they won't. Sometimes pitching takes a little while. We just saw it with Ben Brown, right, It can take a little while to figure things out. But that's a team that where the fans should be booing them and not saying you can't boot the Cubs. If they stink in and they're playing poorly and you're frustrated, go boot them if you want. My point is like that that's a team that, Yeah, like talking about them as contenders or buyers would be silly right now. They have a lot of work to change that narrative. The Cubs don't have a lot of work to change the narrative. They have a lot of work to do because they're banged up and there are major concerns with the pitching staff and the bullpen. But they're not out of it. They're they're in this race. And and I think it's it's easy to fall into the trap of seeing what's what you're like taking what you just saw, and and that's that's the full reality. But Dance beats and stunk for a month, and now he's the hottest hitter we've ever seen. It feels like these like you just don't know how baseball is going to turn, whether it's injuries that pop up or hot streaks that pop up. Right now. The way I feel when I watch Alex Bregman, I'm like, I don't know when this guy is going to hit. But like I just said with Dansby Swanson, it can turn. We don't know what hit it's going to be. What line Drivy hits that makes him feel more confident the play. But baseball is weird like that, and this offense is built to really, you know, produce at a high level. They are statistically one of the best offenses in baseball. They take a ton of walks, they they're starting to hit for more power. It is a it's a type of offense that could carry them for a stretch of play, and I think that's what they need and then they'll be They will continue to buy as we get closer to the deadline.
Speaker 2: Jet Hoyer said it the Cubs were struggling, like pitching is going to be our focus at the deadline, even though he said the trade deadline is the furthest thing from his mind at that moment, But his point was, at the backbone of this team is its position players that you know, it's the best players on offense have to be their best players, period. And they do have a lot more optionality on the hitter side. Like, I think his general point was, like the offense put him in that spot for that ten game losing streak, Like everyone just went cold that once, almost everyone. But the longer range concern was the pitching staff, and that was like maybe five pitching injuries ago, maybe, Like, so what the point is being is like, I think if you're a Cub's officially you're a Cubs fan, I think you'd be okay if like Moisi's biasteris gets called up this weekend and then gets like three hundred bats in the major leagues. I think you'd be willing to, like see what that is. I don't think you're comfortable giving Jordan Wicks fifteen starts the rest of the year, and that even within that position player group, you have very versatile athletic players who can make can play multiple positions. If Alex Bregman, like if these injuries happened on the position player side, the Cubs could, you know, it wouldn't be comfortable, it wouldn't be ideal, But you could play Matt Shot at their base. You can. He's already being moved around. You know, we saw Nico spell Dansby for a bit of a reset here recently, like they're just isn't that on the pitching side, particularly when you're talking about you know, all these depth starters who are now like front of the rotation starters, and you see all these names on the injured list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's take a quick break and talk about one of those guys that the Cubs had hoped to be back by now, and then we'll see if he's back at all this season.
Speaker 3: A sa Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up very soon.
Speaker 4: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls. But go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 3: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is. Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green, Good, Red Bad with those dots and the code for you Territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and then get the code automatically added to your count so that you can use it later. Thank you to Zeki.
Speaker 1: Okay Patrick, Justin Steele, we've talked about this quite a bit. Who knows when he's coming back, But Jed Hoyer went on the radio on Tuesday, I believe it was when on The Score. Our friends at the Score talked to him and he basically said, you know, it's a long shot for Steele to help this team as a starter, for him to get lengthened out and rarely help this team as a starter. He could give them some innings, possibly out of the bullpen, but the timeline just doesn't you know, it's not realistic for him to do that. I think we've kind of been if we haven't flat out said that, I think we've been kind of hinting at that. It didn't make sense. The timeline just didn't make a lot of sense. But Hoyer's come out and said it plainly now there. I think he said some things about like let's hope for a healthy twenty twenty seven season, things like that. But we're supposed to talk to him on Thursday. We're recording on a Thursday right now. So maybe when this comes out fans will have more reaction from Hoyer and see if he regrets saying that on the radio or anything like that. But I think he's just stating the facts and not trying to like put a spin on on what's realistic here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was still just odd timing of like Steel restarts his throwing program, and Jed sort of just sounded a little, I don't know, annoyed by the topic or just it just seems like, you know, he's been very much like take it's low, we can't over promise, like let's maintain or temper expectations. And Steele obviously wishes he could have been pitching weeks ago, like he was shooting for late May early June, had the setback with the flexer strain, and you could see how you know, enthusiastic he is, like this happened as sort of happened in spring training when he saw doctor Meister and is like, oh, I'm cleared now, and it was there there was some confusion because he was so excited to share that news on social media, and he talked to us subsequent to that of like, you know, the ideas we're gonna be pitching in the biggest games of the year, and this was reassuring, and the Cubs were just kind of like, you know, comes officials were like, well, nothing's really changed. It was like good to hear it was positive reinforcement, but this doesn't really change the timeline. And I think some of this is natural, Like I think that tension is like the player feels a certain way, and obviously the guys in khakis and polls have to look at a different way. If you're a Craig Counsel in the dugout, you're kind of balancing both of those viewpoints all the time.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: I'd ask Stele a version of this question during the last home stand and he said, I'm building up to be a starter, and you know, he thinks there's time. We know how Counsel likes using his outgetters, like he can get creative with that and you know, still also re emphasize that his goal is to be pitching well and feeling strong for the biggest games of the year, and I think that's still in play. I don't think there was some sort of like setback that made Jed said. I think, you know, we've known him a long time. It feels like if he finds a certain topic or questions somewhat repetitive, sometimes he will just be a little more candid and you know, maybe a little more frustrated, just like you know, and again it's all these injuries piling up to you know what I mean. It's just like if Steele has a setback, but everyone's healthy and things are going well, maybe he's I don't know, maybe his messaging is a little bit different. Like Jed's very composed, He's been doing this a long time. He's very savvy with the media. To his credit, he is very available as an executive. It's not like that in certain sports or certain organizations within baseball like it is much appreciated. I think he benefits from how available he is and how he's willing to explain the organization's point of view. But yeah, every once in a while he says something, you're like, oh really, that seemed, you know, pretty pointed, right.
Speaker 1: I think it's also important to note that as much as I don't think players are lying to us, you have to take what a player says about their injury with a grain of salt. They are they want to be more positive, and they should be like the part of like rehab is like there's a mental grind. I talked to Steel briefly on Tuesday, I think, or no, it was it was Monday, because we were in the clubhouse Monday before the game got rained out and and you know, he was just happy to be back with the guys and and and not like siloed off in Arizona. Rehabbing it's it's can be depressing, Like frankly, it's it's it's like a hard mental grind. Uh. So they have to look at it in a positive manner. So if we just take their word for it, we're going to get the positive spin. You have to be really careful listening to players because players will say I'm fine, I'm good, and then X rays will come back and and it's like you're actually out for three months, uh, you know, And that's not to say that what you said is absolutely right. There was no step back there, like he's throwing. He threw again. I saw him throw again Wednesday. So through Monday, he through Wednesday. He's out there. He's trying to build back up. We'll see where this goes. I still think the math makes it really hard for him to be this sixth inning starter for the team this season. But you know that doesn't mean he's not going to try and get to that and prove the doubters wrong. So yeah, I think you're right. Like sometimes Jed, like here's this stuff and it's like that's not really like exactly, that's a little bit too positive, or you know, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen, and he feels the need to kind of correct the narrative.
Speaker 2: Well, it was certainly revealing just tying it back to the idea of the trade deadline here of like the Cubs aren't looking at it like, oh, we have an all star pitcher in reserve who's gonna be healthy, like fully healthy and operational August Fifth, Like that's not how they're viewing it. I know. Sometimes you know, executives like to say that, like you know, that's kind of the trade deadline cliche of well, once so and so get healthy, that'll be like a trade deadline acquisition. And you know, maybe that's what still becomes. I think the Cubs could deploy him in some big moments and he could pick you know, pitch and some really enormous innings and situations for them. But I think they're going to be careful. I you know, I tend to doubt the Cubs, say, trading for a Cy Young Award winner who's about to be a free agent like that just doesn't seem like kind of in their DNA. That's not the team that we're seeing on a field right now. That's certainly not what the math says in terms of their odds to win the division and secure that first round by that Jed has trumpeted as a very important part of their calculus. But you know, would not be surprised if at some point, you know, in the second half of the season, Steel does re emerge and looks pretty good. I mean, that's you know, certainly what they're hopeful, hopeful for. But they're not banking on It's not like they pass on a trade because oh well, we have justin Steel coming back by this date. Like, no, it seems like they're just hoping for a pleasant surprise rather than like penciling his name into any sort of you know, major plans for this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's talk a little bit about potential I guess prospects that you could look at. Let's take to the temperature of this system. Essentially, I don't know if they're going to trade every single one of these guys we talk about. In fact, I think they're going to cling to some of them. But let's touch on that. Take a quick break first.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball. Fans, the NLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot Com slash podcast To opt in for daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Okay, So uh Patrick to kind of like reveal some stuff that's going on with my writing. I plan to answer some mail bag questions at Cubs. Pictures keep getting injured, and I and I you know, I don't have time to fully answer these questions. One question I have seen kind of repeatedly was why does this farm Why is this farm system so bad? Why? Why are they unable to develop any talent? If you want to focus on the pitching, I think that's fair that they have some issues with player development and drafting with pictures, and and I think they've they've started to address it. We've talked a lot about the changes, but they may they're making some changes with player development, they're making some changes with the draft. We'll see how quickly. It can impact the system, but they are addressing it. I disagree that the system's like terrible or that they have no talent, and I actually think they're doing a pretty good job with the hitting talent. I mean they've traded guys, obviously Cam Smith whose other big bads higher hope, and those guys got like they got really good players for them. They also traded some pitchers. Ty Johnson is with Rays. I think he's doing pretty solid in their system. He was part of the Esa Paradis trade that ended up getting them Kyle Tucker. They traded DJ Hurs, who's gotten hurt a lot for the Nationals. I think that was Jamer Candelario. Jackson Ferris was part of the Michael Bush trade. There's some other pitchers that like. So it's not as dreadful as the system actually as some people actually make it out to be. And I think the rankings have them like in the you know, twenty to twenty five range. I think the Cubs would believe they're more mid tier like thirteen to sixteen range. And I can see that argument before I get to some of the bats. I think we can update people on Jackson Wiggins Wiggins pitched. I'm going to get the days wrong, but he pitched in the Complex League for a start, then made a South Bend start, I believe over the weekend last weekend, maybe Sunday, and I was told that his next start will be with Triple A. We'll see if that's still the plan. Sometimes these things change due to weather, due to travel plans, due to like, hey, let's just keep them with this team, and we want to see something else before we move him up. Who knows, but right now I believe the next start would be Triple A. I don't think he's like next call big leagues. I think he needs to build up some innings. And I don't want to say it's been a good thing that his elbow is barking, but also it limited his innings because he wasn't going to be able to pitch one hundred and sixty or whatever innings this season after whatever he threw last year. So you know, we'll see if he's an option. I'd be surprised if he's a trade option, but maybe you try and maximize a guy, and if there's a big you said they're not going to trade for like a rental Cy Young winner, Like I guess that would be Schooble. I agree with that, but could they Like it's really hard to pull off these deals like we saw last year. They just couldn't pull it off. But like a guy with a year and a half left, that's really good. Maybe I think that would be much more interesting for them and something that they'd pursue. It's really hard to pull those off a because it costs a lot more like teams asked for sky high prospects. And then the other thing is like in the end, like those teams just don't really want to trade those guys. Every every team's like, well, we can compete next year too, so that it's hard to pull that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I think the system is probably better than they're getting credit for. But I also look at the system and be like, just trade a bunch of guys, you know. I don't know if it screams a lot of like long term certainty there. I like the idea of, hey, like this guy's going well, like he sort of popped, Like you know, you need those reinforcements, like this season has not gone as planned, but it's far from over, and I do think you have to treat every season as sacred, like when you have a chance to win, to bring playoff baseball to Wrigley Field, you have to go do that. I think some of the players that are at Triple A IOWA now on the hitting side, maybe the Cups have held onto them a little too long, but they're probably at a point where they're gonna have to move them. It's not like there's a ton of opportunity waiting for them at Wrigley Field. I think you hold on to likely match'll Pedro Ramirez, moiss bi ASTERI. Maybe I'm missing someone up, but otherwise, I think you've got to be pretty open minded there. And this is something I'm sure we'll be asking COUPS people about. It's interesting that you've got another draft coming up here, so you can kind of reload the system and uh, maybe develop some more trade chips. Like it's not ideal, and obviously sometimes you'll get burned by these deals, but like that's what they're there for too. And you know, Cole mathis maybe something clicks and he's an All Star five years from now. He puts together a good first half, but maybe he doesn't mount too much. And I think you just sometimes your hand is forced, and that's clearly the Cubs are dealing with, you know, exceptional, extraordinary circumstances. Here you have to go out and get someone from the Mets and then keep adding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part of part of the system. It's not just like it's not just Matt Shaw helping the major league team, it's Cole Mathis helping the major league team by being a trade chip. So it's there are there are two ways to evaluate the system, like is your system good enough to make these trades, whether it's being a couple extra pieces to get Esach Paraitis and then and then Kyle Tucker and Edward Cabrera whatever it is, or is it good enough that you know you have someone like Matt Shaw, who is it kind of like an extra infielder and depth for your team, but now you know it has kind of hit his way into regular playing time and and proven that what this guys can quickly learn different positions and become average to above average in certain spots. So there's I think they deserve credit for some of those guys that three guys that you named Pedro Ramirez by Staius. I understand he went in the slump, but like he's a quality prospect and I think he's going to hit in the big leagues. A couple other names. Owen Ayers has really broken out this year. Catchers take a little longer to develop. He became a full time catcher a little later as battled injuries. He's healthy now crushing. I think they are very high on him. And then Jefferson Rojas, that's someone I would look at if they're going to make a huge trade, like a really big trade. They have a lot of infielders. They have their infielders locked up. And then you just mentioned Pedro Ramirez and Matt Shaw. Where's Jefferson Rojas going to play? Kevin al Contra, Look, the base running mistakes probably you know, kind of got him sent down and he doesn't have a spot on the major league roster. He since being sent down, he's just destroying the ball. He is like this is the time of year when he does destroy the ball too. It's like pretty typical Kevin all Contra to just have a mondar June and July.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be shocked if he's included if they swing a big deal. Hartshorn's a guy that is shooting up prospect rankings.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Josiah Hartshorn, sixth rounder, he's he is someone I'm not sure if they would move unless they're getting some like superstar pitcher and that's you know, under contract beyond this season. I'd be surprised if they're moving Hardshorn. He's he's a top fifty prospect with the arrow pointed firmly up. I think he may be one of the better prospects the Cup of Cubs have had in a while. And then there's just you know, other guys that are solid and that's what Jane like that King Kepley, quality quality draft pick, great defender, contact, can find a gap everyone power. Yeah. Uh, that's a that's a guy that you can look look at and say like, that's a good draft pick and that's possibly a trade piece. Uh. And there are probably names where we're overlooking, especially guys at like the ACL or Dominican League, like those guys. I have talked to some people that are like, we're hopeful that some of these guys pop and I have a I have some names. I need to look it up again, but but there are definitely a couple other names that they're they're happy about that. They're happy have popped. Not as much on the pitching side. I'd say the pitching side is mostly like some relievers that have popped the starters. It's like Brooks Caple and hoping that Jackson Wiggins obviously first round pick from last year, Ethan Conrad. He has not played yet. The latest I was told was, uh, he should be getting a live BP this week. If that goes well, maybe Arizona Complex League games this weekend or next week. I'll try and an update over the weekend to see where he's at. But that's the latest with him. If he like I understand people want to write him off already, but like this happens. If he's done, he's done. If he's not, if he can't be healthy, he can't be healthy. But this is this is not like Chase the latter with the Guardians. He barely played in the minors and then finally got healthy and now he's a key piece for the Guardians. It can take a little while. Just get him healthy, that's the main thing. And then if he's talented and he performs, there's another piece in your system. This is not a dreadful system. They need to be better, especially with the pitching. But they can make trades with this group, and they can help the major league team with this group. I think it's it's better than I expected it to be. I wasn't that high on the group coming into the season, and it's a little bit better than I expected it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean thinking out loud here, We're definitely gonna have to put together a story like this on the Athletic because I feel like sometimes the prospect hype goes into overdrive, but at the trade deadline, you kind of need to know who's in play, who's in demand, who's untouchable. And I think we have a this is the beginning of a good idea for that. I think we're less than slightly less than six weeks out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely good call. We can we can. We can write a little bit about this and then give the fans some more prospect, the prospect huggers, the prospect heads. All right, all right, thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and Iron top of all things Cubs. We appreciate you listening and watching. Take care you don't know I will lead and
Speaker 4: Do they leader?