Speaker 1: Hey there, Fana Ritos.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to an all new episode of How Rude Tana Ritos. Today we have the warm up guy and writer who worked on a lot of your favorite sitcoms back in the day. It's Bob Purlow. And believe it or not, Bob was entertaining live audiences on shows like Full House Friends and Growing Pains for three to five hours each tape night.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: He even wrote a book about his career as a warm up guy, and.
Speaker 1: We are so excited to talk to him today.
Speaker 2: So please everyone put your hands together for Bob Purlow.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: Hi, you guys.
Speaker 3: Done, Hi, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Let me just finish. I'm reading something. Let me finish.
Speaker 3: You take a five. It's an original script. Oh I read? Did we wait?
Speaker 1: What's written on there? Did we all sign it? Or is that just your notes?
Speaker 4: No? No, I write, I write notes during the show.
Speaker 3: What were your notes? What notes?
Speaker 1: What notes do you have for us?
Speaker 4: See if you if you remember this my left and right foot.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't got we haven't gotten there yet and we were only on season five.
Speaker 1: We've got many to go. So yeah, my is this one that you wrote of no, oh okay, but.
Speaker 3: You're just given not okay? So that last sea yeah yeah, that was would have been season eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh written by Ellen Guy. Oh yeah, I remember, yeah, Tom Rickett directly.
Speaker 2: I remember Tom Okeah wasn't he He was a stage manager or a d at one point and then he moved up to director.
Speaker 3: He said, yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: Well, Bob, we're so excited to have you on the show. You're our first warm up person that's been on the podcast. We've been doing this for two years now, and we thought we got to go back, we got to go back to our original warm up guy. Like, this is fantastic. You're such a funny person. Uh yeah, thanks for coming on on our podcast. Is it is warm up Guy the official name of the profession?
Speaker 1: Or is there like a different lingo?
Speaker 3: Oh, he's leaving, he's left.
Speaker 1: I've offended him.
Speaker 3: I've offended him. And you asked one question.
Speaker 5: Walking in the background, he's got a he's there's there's something official?
Speaker 3: Is it a name the warm up Guy?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is this is this your book that you wrote about being a warm up guy?
Speaker 3: So that's the official title.
Speaker 4: An eight year old Man and warm Up man. You know you're the warm up.
Speaker 3: Guy, right, the warm up guy?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And warm up man doesn't have it sounds too mature, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Instead of where's the warm up guy?
Speaker 1: Where do you go? And tell everyone? What is a warm up guy?
Speaker 2: I mean, we've talked about it on the show a lot, but from from the source himself, what is funny?
Speaker 4: I just did a lecture to college last week with adults, and I did. I'm the woman. Oh your cook, I'm almost.
Speaker 3: So you have operate a microwave? Basically, right?
Speaker 4: Where are you? Guys?
Speaker 2: We podcast from our homes nice and it's great. We get to see each other via the zoom every week and catch up and talk about Full House and make fun of ourselves as teenagers and little kids.
Speaker 3: We get to be we get to be the podcast guys.
Speaker 4: It's iconic. Full House is forever Franklin very well known.
Speaker 3: Truly, Oh yeah, truly.
Speaker 2: So we would do a live show, a live audience show, every Friday night and with two hundred and fifty strangers, fans, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And so you were the guy that was.
Speaker 2: In charge of keeping everyone awake for all those hours, warming.
Speaker 5: Them up before we even start the show to make sure they're like ready to laugh.
Speaker 3: Right, that's like the big hype guy.
Speaker 4: That's a misconception. If you do that, you start off here and there's no place to go but here.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true.
Speaker 4: You've got to modulate and say how long is this show going to be? Oh, Michelle has a has three scenes and which baby is going to be up and not cranking?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And I had to figure that in. So if I started, oh, this is funny, always funny, and then three hours later he's not only not funny, I hate him.
Speaker 5: He's keeping Yeah, that's not talking at me, and you want yeah, well, it's part of the game because they don't know they're going to be there.
Speaker 4: For three to five hours.
Speaker 3: True, right, they get.
Speaker 4: Tickets, Oh, we've got full house tickets. It's thirty five minutes. It's thirty minutes when we're watch it on TV. So if they make a mistake or tube yeah yeah, right, the reservations for seven you may want to bring a sandwich.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had to start feeding them because their blood, their blood sugar would be as feed You.
Speaker 4: And Friends, which was just down the street from you guys. That took eight hours. Yeah, with the audience with the.
Speaker 5: Audience audiences halfway through. Sometimes you know, they kept the same one, yeah.
Speaker 4: At the beginning for the first two years, because the producers of that show did a showtime show called dream On right, which was no audience and it was a hit, so they thought this is how you do it.
Speaker 5: You can't sitcom like a single camp.
Speaker 2: Right, God, no eight hours and they don't even have kids or dogs on that show.
Speaker 3: That makes us look really super.
Speaker 5: Yah don't Yeah, they say, don't work with dogs or kids or apparently on a taping of.
Speaker 4: Friends, Yeah, it was funny and then you guys know this, but I'm Friends. After the first scene, right, it is over here and in front of the audience, they were believe they're making stuff up, and you and I know that what they're saying is, what's that joke we had on Monday that we threw away? Right, right, So I'm making up that they're reconstituting, yeah, right right the scene what joke works?
Speaker 1: Got to joke work, and sometimes you got to change.
Speaker 4: The house was an unusual warm up because of the amount of kids in the audience, so I had to modulate, but I did, and and Garrett toward a younger audience, So no swearing, no family friendly, right.
Speaker 5: I think didn't we had a did we have an age limit on kids? It was like ten or twelve or something because they had to sit there for a while, I think.
Speaker 4: In less weeks old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wow, But yeah we had I mean, our audience has definitely had a lot of kids and a lot of families, So I'm yeah, I'm sure you it's you got to sort of get rid of a few jokes here and there.
Speaker 4: Oh got you totally.
Speaker 3: I mean, Reggie was it was.
Speaker 5: That was full house, the first like family show you'd ever done.
Speaker 4: Warm up for No, most of the shows family shows because because if you recall after ninety five and when you guys were off the air is when the not to bring HBO into it, but the breaking baths and stuff and the swearing came in.
Speaker 5: I read more of the sort of premiere television, like more adult skewing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but family shows, that's what I did mostly.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sitcoms are kind of one of the only things that shoots in front of a live audience, and they tend to be relatively well.
Speaker 4: Then I did Growing Pains, New Heart, Yeah, all those shows with family shows and they didn't go blue at all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, And you worked on Laverne and Shirley? Were you the warm up guy or the or a writer on.
Speaker 4: That sh The writer Franklin, for those who don't know, is the creator and executive producer of Full House and Malcolm and Eddie and a few others in movies. You know, we started the same day and Laverne insurance.
Speaker 3: Really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: He was prepared. I was. I just got go, oh, you're funny, want to be a writer. Sure, And my life changed from that point. Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: He yeah, he's told the story about how all the showrunner got fired and suddenly he's in charge.
Speaker 1: Is this the show?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, any Marshall's everybody in the ring room and Jeff was like the guy that got kept.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. He was nineteen years old. I think he's really young. And Gary Marshall hired him. And just because Penny and Cindy had a habit of firing all the writers occasionally, just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a dang And they were just.
Speaker 4: Next next and Lion obviously changed his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that would be terrifying to just think that your job is on the line all the time and.
Speaker 3: Just be like everything right a joke, right.
Speaker 4: Wow, not even a season thirteen weeks Okay, you're renewed.
Speaker 5: Oh man, sell of the pants, Like that's kind of how the business is now. You're lucky if you get your like thirteen weeks, great, thirteen episodes, that's a Yeah.
Speaker 4: The streaming war, I'm so glad we came along with.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the landscape is so different now. I mean, I'm I'm in Rhode Island, so retired years ago because because the warm up guys that I know are not getting the same money is not enough, not enough.
Speaker 5: Shows there's it's not there's not a ton of live audience shows anymore in sitcoms and things. So yeah, it makes it definitely makes it hard. And yeah, full house. God, we were talking about it, I think at the convention we were at Still City about how much we enjoyed kind of being a part of like late eighties, early nineties big network TV when it was a thing, you know, when it was they get all the shows together and you do some big ABC promo and you know those kinds of things that like you just don't really don't really do now it's not as central, you know.
Speaker 4: No, it was a different landscape then, and it was great. It was the Golden Age. Yeah. And and the shows I did, we're all, like I said, family friendly. Growing Pains is the one that that really is the bulk of what I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, was that your first job as a warm up guy?
Speaker 3: No, Growing Pains.
Speaker 4: I do a show now, I do a show presentations where I give my my background. And I was playing paddle Tenants, which is a precursor to uh, pickleball. Okay.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, like this feels like in the vein of pickleball.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So one day I got yeah, and then next day I was on la Vernon Shirley. Your whole life takes that that change.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: I mean, did you always want to be like a comedian in comedy? Did you want to be a writer or was it kind of that was just sort of what you fell into or.
Speaker 4: Fell into a great phrase for that, because I was a tour guide in La Okay, going up and going up and down the coast of California with a group of ninety people, and I was on the mic, So that gave me the wherewithal to be on a mic right.
Speaker 5: And to be on a mic showers at a time, you know, and I have to keep the same group of people interested two.
Speaker 4: Weeks, oh with the same audience.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, two weeks with the same audience. Oh wow, yeah that's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not an audience, but right, two bus loads of New Yorkers who wanted to see La for hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, that's so.
Speaker 2: Was this was this like the first Hollywood tours where they go buy all the celebrities homes, the TMZ tour or was it more.
Speaker 1: Of like, hey, here's the landscape of California.
Speaker 4: Both, because when we were in LA, we would do the Beverly Hills tour. I could say this now they're probably dead. The people I would make up houses of course. Oh yeah, Andrea Baba from Full House lives in that little house right over there. Put the horn. Yeah, usually she comes to the window. Jody Sweeten lives right over.
Speaker 3: Not home, sorry, yeah the fairy.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're not home.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, no, that's uh yeah.
Speaker 1: For two years, innocent tourists, there's just no idea.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I knew somebody that owned one of those tour companies said the same thing.
Speaker 3: He was like, we're not We're not driving around.
Speaker 5: He's like, there's not like a like a database where you you know, He's like, drive by point of the house.
Speaker 3: People be excited. That's you know, yeah, give them, give them that thing I did.
Speaker 4: There's a two week tour from La Vegas, seventies, all up and down. And just to break things up, people didn't have eight digital cameras. They had cameras. Go okay, in two minutes going up the coast, we're gonna go by the very famous Milled Fillmore Rock. Now you won't be able to see it, but trust me, when you get home and get these pictures developed, you'll see the exact face of Milled film More. So. I'm three, everybody, get to the left side of the bus. Two three boom, oh yeah yeah, it looks just like Millard. No one knows what billid film Wall looked like show he was the president.
Speaker 3: I chose amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, pick something that no one can fact check you on. You're like me wrong.
Speaker 2: Is a great training ground to be a warm like I can't think of a more perfect training ground to be a warm up guy.
Speaker 4: Do you believe that it led right into it. I'm on the mic for two weeks at a time, and so three.
Speaker 3: Hours I could do that easy.
Speaker 1: Easy.
Speaker 2: What was the hardest part about being a warm up guy? Was it like our three? Was it the beginning when you're like sustling out the audience and getting a feel for them.
Speaker 1: What's like the hardest part about it?
Speaker 4: Follow out real quick that you don't start up on that high, so you you become their friend. Because if they don't like you me in the first five minutes, they're not going to like me. After five hours, they're going to hate me. I mean, even if they love me at the beginning, they dislike me.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's true. I love my family and after five hours I sort.
Speaker 3: Of feel enough.
Speaker 1: Were some of the tricks you is? Like, did you play games with the audience? Did you do trivia?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What did you do to keep them awake?
Speaker 4: No? Trivia, I tried. I never saw another warm up guy work because what I was doing worked and did a lot of the music. I made my own music. I had a disc jockey who would be in tune with me and the stuff that I did, and a lot of dancing. Those little girls loved to come up and dance.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And then you guys were great. You'd come out and talk to the audience. Friends. Eight hours in, not one of them came out and said thank you for coming, or any questions. It was inconceivable. But that was from day one because I did the pilot, and even at the pilot, they were that's going to be good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh I remember Bob Saggett would get the mic and then we were like, Bob, we've got all we got to go.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 5: And he's like, well anyway, and like running with the microphone away from Keith Richmond art stagement.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, that was that was his. Uh, he was a warm up for a while.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. He missed it.
Speaker 5: I mean but anytime there was a microphone within arms distance.
Speaker 3: Of box flights, he would get on the intercom.
Speaker 4: It's funny, didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, it was so good, so glib, so so great. Yeah, now did you it's like for doing warm up stuff, is there like do you have like a warm up agent or is it just that you know, writers and producers and people kind of connect that way.
Speaker 4: I was really lucky in that I hit. But I think they say the golden age of television was normal layer, but I think it was at our time, and luckily I had a good reputation so they would call me. So there was no agent. I would negotiate the terms.
Speaker 2: Great, represent yourself, you know, no commit involved, just just do.
Speaker 3: It all on your own.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And like I said earlier, the guys I know that are still doing in that having a rough time.
Speaker 3: I bet are and Fuller Ron that's right.
Speaker 4: Do you know him Ron Pearson?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, but I know the name. Like I said, I never saw these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ron does. Yeah, he was. He did all kinds of tricks. He was great.
Speaker 5: The audience always really loved him. He was super funny. And I just remember the trick he did was the latter that that terrified me. Every time he did that, I'm like, what if it falls?
Speaker 3: Like every time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a had of time with the chainsaw apple and ping pong bowl hugglers and they would take a bite of the apple and still keep juggling. He just Galley did that.
Speaker 3: That's yes. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the shows I worked on a show called Good Time Girls? Uh huh, where he was on it. I did a few Boos and Buddies, but mostly New Heart.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I remember watching New Heart with my mom.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming each show had its own feel Like you mentioned, Full House had a lot of kids in the audience, so each show would have its own demographic represented.
Speaker 1: Was it easier with kids?
Speaker 3: Many of you said that something harder with kids and audience.
Speaker 4: There was no subtlety, There was no you couldn't be zeck. They don't get that yet. It was a base level. But you said, what audience is are different? Made your dad remember that? Yeah, they had every audience bust in from from camps. So there were soldiers and little by little he thought he was a soldier. Gerald mclaney, he come on as men and not kidding, so you know, but by the second he was a colonel.
Speaker 2: I guess, just really just leaning right out to the to the theme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what was that like? Was that a good Were they a good audience? Were they like happy to laugh and be yeah.
Speaker 4: Very straight, but they weren't very joy.
Speaker 5: Lastured they sat up very straight and we're incredibly attentive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I know sitcoms get a bad rap about having canned laughter, and I'm like, but it's not canned, it's real, and you you order.
Speaker 1: The audience to do that.
Speaker 2: You're just like, make sure you have the same enthusiasm every teak.
Speaker 4: It's funny you mentioned that last night. I had dinner with with this girl and I don't watch those shows because I hate canned laugh. Echo, It's not canned, it's it's real. It's sweetened, right, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Sweet sweetened sweetening is what they do to sound for shows and movies and stuff for those rights.
Speaker 3: Are like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: And they it just like they fill it out a little bit more so. It's like, you know, a laugh is kind of has some little gaps on.
Speaker 3: It or whatever.
Speaker 5: They'll just fill in those holes so that it sounds more consistent. But yeah, they know the laughs are real. The laughs are real, they just sound a little prettier.
Speaker 4: My My whole thing was, Okay, we're going to do this again. It's it's a very similar similar joke. It was exactly. It was at similar right, And we need to you to remember where you laughed and how you laugh so we can match it up, which is stupid. How you laugh that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have a weird, awkward laugh. Continue doing that.
Speaker 2: My mother's laugh in the audience because she had a very loud and distinctive laugh, and so it would throw me during the tape beans.
Speaker 1: Because I was like, oh, mom's laughing again.
Speaker 4: One thing I was going to say, I wrote it down. Full House is if not one one of three shows that I worked on hundreds of shows. I mean there were hundreds of shows, thousands of times, and uh, full House this day is one of the few casts to stick together, which makes my heart failed good because you know, you go, oh, uncle Jesse, and oh that's sehn Stanwillson. He's having dinner with somebody. You guys start together to this day, which is unusual because usually a sitcom gets together that one to five years and then great and then maybe they make one friend. But Full House, to your credit, yeah, was incredible.
Speaker 5: We really stayed connected. And I will say a big piece of that was Saggot.
Speaker 3: Bob was.
Speaker 5: Really and John two would plan dinners and stuff, but Bob was kind of the nucleus, the lynchpin, and you know, and Jeff too, you know, always having parties and stuff in his house. But yeah, it really like it's crazy. I mean how close everybody is, you know, and we talk about it all the time on the show, but everybody, every guest that comes on.
Speaker 3: Right, You guys are a family like family.
Speaker 4: It's a real family and new Heart as close as they were, and I love them, I love doing the show as close as they were on set and maybe a little bit after they would all go their separate ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because, yeah, we haven't been able to get rid of each other for nearly forty damn years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really.
Speaker 3: Almost forty years.
Speaker 2: If you've been a family like wild because I don't feel forty years old.
Speaker 3: So how have you been?
Speaker 4: Friend? Every day? I feel I'm dying, Yeah, I'm dying. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tell us what was it like in the writer's room?
Speaker 3: You wrote?
Speaker 2: You wrote an episode of season one the Big Three. Oh, that's right when Danner turned thirty.
Speaker 4: Years life too.
Speaker 3: It was thirty yeah, yeah, yeah, a baby.
Speaker 4: The uh. The writer's room was intimidating because you have to get your idea in there. I had a very bad experience on my first job on Lavernon Shirley. One of the producers thought I was funny, so he hired me. The rest of the writers were upset because well, this guy didn't pay his dues, mister funny man. So it was and there were twenty writers in the room at laverneon Shirley. It was so intimidating. Oh, Mark's friend, where's your joke today? I mean really means yeah. And then one day one of the other producers, who was banging heads with Mark because they want each one of the big exec producer came in with a bunch of T shirts for me that read I'll be funny soon.
Speaker 3: It's like a basically, it made you earn your strength.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I've heard.
Speaker 5: I've heard that writer's rooms can be really intimidating and brutal. I mean, and maybe you were in one, but of course you were among they were friends, and you were it was you know, fuller house.
Speaker 3: They weren't going to be like, you'll be funny soon.
Speaker 1: Right right, Yeah, they were on their best.
Speaker 3: No, I've heard.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've heard it's really intimidating. You know, you've got to be willing to throw your joke out there and talk over other people and let it, you know, land hopefully, and if it doesn't, you're like, all right, hell, I'll be gonna go person.
Speaker 4: To be honest, even though it makes the show better to be funny. Other writers are so competitive that if you fail, they go up and.
Speaker 5: Go, yeah it's that's yeah. It's kind of a dog eat dog, you know, bully people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if I could do it, Like I just being in the same room with the same twenty people for.
Speaker 1: Hours and hours and hours.
Speaker 2: That would drive me nuts, Like, especially if you clash with some of the personality.
Speaker 3: I don't wait that.
Speaker 4: The worst thing the Yin and the Yang was after a run through, you go back to the office and they pass out menus. The good part is you can order anything off the menu. The bad part is if it's a menu that means we're stay late, right exactly.
Speaker 3: This is a snap prepared to eat your dinner. You're here a while.
Speaker 4: At two am. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's brutal. It's a brutal scale.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you guys. I'm not going to mention any shows, but the landscape of Citcum is so bad. I look at it and I get angry. But that's lazy writing, that's lazy acting. All the whole bowl of wax is like them trying to save money for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's that's I mean, you and I could talk for hours about that, but yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's a very different.
Speaker 5: You know, they keep saying like sitcoms are dying and no, but people love them, that people really enjoy watching sitcoms, And I think they have been dying because nobody wants to write, like you said, right, good ones or funny ones or you know, and they're cheap to make.
Speaker 3: If we're trying to save money, sitcoms are.
Speaker 5: A lot less expensive than a single cam and locations and you know, shooting on a stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 5: Basically Netflix, Hulu if you're listening, yeahs are listening. We're just saying we would be happy to be fully booked on a sitcom.
Speaker 3: Bob Burlow will be doing the writing and the warm up and well, yeah.
Speaker 5: We've got a writer done. It'll be like the it'll be like the the eighties again when you just go you you have a job, and then.
Speaker 3: That's what we do.
Speaker 4: Look under your seat, you all have.
Speaker 3: Right, you have a job, and you have a job.
Speaker 5: Do you have any like like.
Speaker 3: What is what was one of your worst moments? Warm up?
Speaker 5: If you remember and what was Oh pretty sure you didn't usually remembers there.
Speaker 4: Worstland and they're not gonna the worst, very worst one was a Michael Jackson video of a Beatles cover song. At the time, there were two warring gangs in La Crips in the Bloods. They invited half Crips and half Bloods. I go, you know what, I don't think I'm right for this audience. There was an urban audience. You know, it was all black. And because I'm a little white guy, what am I going to do? Listen, it's going to be five to ten minutes before Michael comes out. Because at at one o'clock you go on at ten to one, get the wild up and it'll be great. So okay, ten to one, So I did. They were going nuts to crib music and giving away stuff. Cut to ten minutes before and he still hadn't been He's still in his trailer.
Speaker 1: Wow, So was making everybody wait.
Speaker 4: I had given out money from my walletparation right. The other one. Yeah, in thirty seven years, there was fired one time and it was on home improvement. And if I couldn't do my job, if I was doing it wrong, I would have had a career instead. I had a very long career, so I knew how to do. And the job was not to be funnier than the show, that that that's crazy, and that to be so morose that they're going to fall asleep. So I kind of had it. So I hit most of the time, you know, I was. I was good. Oh yeah, a few times I was awful, because it's just whatever the circumstances.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you get a vibe of an audience and you're just like, oh, okay, you do this tonight, you just have off day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And a lot of times I was really good. This one night on Home Improvement, I was really good. The audience was hyped up, the show was good. I was good. Everything matched because when when they'll cut and you guys had to go ahead touch your makeup on or do a clothes change. Tim Allen was in the makeup room and he heard me getting huge laughs. And I wasn't afraid of being funny than the show. My job was to integrate both the show and the warm up, so it was seamless. But he told the makeup girly coone, the warm up guy trying is act. He came out, as you know, I faced the audience and the set is to my back, and I hear hey, which is hey is a funny word. It could be construed and a lot of different ways, like hey, how you doing Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey wants to get your attention. Hey. The third one that he used was hey, which I knew was bad. It was him, So turn around, hey, Tim Allen right here. You know there's a show going on down here too. Oh sorry, Tim, Well, he was just jealous that I was getting laughs from the audience. Meanwhile I was doing okay because they were loving the show and loving yeah, So that was right. Luckily, most went well.
Speaker 5: It's yeahs are also an interesting breath, like I want you to be funny, but not funnier than me, like a delicate mountains.
Speaker 4: And I don't consider myself a comedian. Had a tough time doing warm ups because they would do their act, which was twenty five to fifty minutes, and then still have three hours waiting. Right. I didn't have any materials, so it didn't bother me. It was just schmoozz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you did such a great job at that.
Speaker 5: I remember, I do remember like you letting us sing.
Speaker 3: I remember singing.
Speaker 5: You like you were talking about with the music and stuff, and you would hand us the microphones and we would get to sing.
Speaker 3: I feel like I remember.
Speaker 5: Singing sitting on the dock of the bay or something like that as a kid, and.
Speaker 3: It was I was like.
Speaker 5: The board walk, that's what it was, yes, under the yeah, yeah exactly what the yeah No, that was so much.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, we had fun.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 2: I was always too shy to take the microphone, which is, you know, me the introvert. But I need I need writers to write me jokes because I'm like, I would get so nervous. So I always admired what you did because I'm like, I couldn't do that.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not just you know, Riff and just be alive.
Speaker 4: For show has their own way of doing things. On the first show, liver In and Shirley, the studio would go dark and then one by one each castman but came out and did a thing. Lenny and Squeaky played music in a song. Phil Forster would tell jokes. John John would be John and Bob Wood would be on the guitar. Right A flashed in my mind last night, the last show we did on Full House, I remember saying on the microphone. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for eight wonderful years and now for the last time ever. And it was just like I.
Speaker 1: Remember that, but I can still feel that.
Speaker 3: I still feel I.
Speaker 5: Remember that because we were like backstage sobbing as kids.
Speaker 3: I mean not just as kids.
Speaker 5: Every the whole cast were, you know, and I but I remember hearing that for the last time.
Speaker 4: Please yeah, I like said those words, and it was it was like, oh, I felt part of that family. Oh.
Speaker 5: You'd be in the makeup room before the show. You'd come visit, we'd be hanging out, you know, our weird little chant that we do, and you're like, Okay, now they've done with that.
Speaker 4: Now like let me go introduce you. It's funny. Earlier you said get them jazzed up for the show, which I didn't want to do. I wanted to be excited because I produced you at the beginning of the show too. Let's say let's say a little about cast. I did, Will and Grace and the two producers, Max and David. They would I'd be talking to the audience. They'd have spotteds from where they write his room was to the stage. Okay, they're halfway here, get them crazy, you really want them crazy? Yeah that Max and David loved to hear that. You don't they realize it's going to be a five hour marathon, and they didn't.
Speaker 2: They wanted to start with the sprint, right, yeah, exactly, right, don't.
Speaker 4: They're going to be so tired out. I knew this because I'm with them, right, you know, I wasn't on the floor, I was in the order.
Speaker 5: You were in there with them for sure, yes, okay, yes, and you saw plenty of our parents too, because our parents were at all of the tapings as well.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 4: Ye, yeah, I remember it's John's mother and father receipts right front.
Speaker 5: Great family, lovely Yeah yeah, yeah, the sisters and Jeff's mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: I went to her wedding, Jeff and I. It's so very close.
Speaker 5: That's it's so crazy, how Yeah, we are like family, and we've you know, had these, like I said, almost forty years plus in this business, and uh yeah, it's kind of cool to still get to see and stay connected with the people that were there in the beginning and you're.
Speaker 4: Still you guys get together socially, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, Yeah, she can't get rid of me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we actually have to shoot this at separate houses because there is a restraining order, so it makes it really uncomfortable them.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 3: No, we hang out socially. We go we do fan conventions.
Speaker 5: Together and travel together. We have our podcast together. We've done road trips, We've done a lot of things.
Speaker 4: We've gotta hurry out audiences.
Speaker 3: Like the fan conventions and stuff.
Speaker 4: Because of the green nature of Full House.
Speaker 3: They're not though.
Speaker 5: There's generations because of and with it being a nicked night and with it we will get people through our lines where it's like a grandmother, a mom and a kid or even four, and the grandmother or great grandma will be like, I started watching this when I was the you know, mom's age, and the kid her she was the kid's age.
Speaker 3: And they still love it.
Speaker 5: And then they you know, so many people started on Fuller House, the younger generation and then they were like, oh, I want to watch the beginning.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Our our we five five seasons.
Speaker 2: But you mean you mean the audience show is about the same. It was very much the same. I'd say that for the fast we timed it. The fastest audience show we ever did was with Mark Sandrowski dress right, so efficient, and so we were taking.
Speaker 1: Bets like is it going to be under three or what?
Speaker 2: And I don't remember the exact time, but it was like two hours and forty two minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. We walked out of that stage. It was light outside. Everyone was Yeah. Mark was a was a hero, much lauded for that. Yeah, it was great, Yeah, he was He was great.
Speaker 2: You know what, every time I hear the song we will we Will rock you always, that's our intro.
Speaker 3: We were intro you, intro to us to that song.
Speaker 2: I have this like visceral reacity, still get chills and I'm like, oh, here here we go, say my name, my.
Speaker 3: Name, We're going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the hype was real, so real. Yeah, such good memories.
Speaker 5: Well, Bob, thank you so much for coming on the show. This was so much fun to get to talk to you and like absolutely absolutely can be. Where can people get your book The Warm Up Guy?
Speaker 4: Amazon? Great Amazon, It's a real book and whole chapter on.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I want to check that out. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: As soon as we loaf And what a great picture on the cover too?
Speaker 3: Is that you?
Speaker 1: Is that a picture of you? In an audience.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's fabulous, and yeah, that's you. That's what you did. There's your back.
Speaker 1: We're very familiar with your back.
Speaker 3: Yere you are.
Speaker 4: I was doing a movie with with for Danny DeVito, his first movie ever, and I was cast as the warm up guy.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I know.
Speaker 2: It's an art imitating life, right, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much, Bob. We just love getting to talk to you. This was wonderful. Absolutely, enjoy your retirement. We missed you too. Yes, we love you.
Speaker 5: Not talk to you soon by He's the.
Speaker 3: Same, he's got. It's totally the same. I love it.
Speaker 1: It's not changed.
Speaker 5: Fascinating though, like sort of the the art quote unquote of warm well, no, not quote unquote, but the art of warm up.
Speaker 3: That it's art of warm up.
Speaker 5: So I kind of assumed that it would be more like stand up that if you you know, but but no, you got it's you have to be require strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you need to strategize the night. You need to think ahead five hours like okay and.
Speaker 3: Be like what do I do? How do I keep them going? How do Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, that was that's really impressive because I mean, if anyone thinks about standing up in front of a group of people and holding their attention and keeping them excited. It is not an easy task, particularly when they're just sitting there for hours, you know. But but you can't get the shows a medium about that?
Speaker 2: What a balance like that is a hard balance, funny enough to keep.
Speaker 3: But not funny enough to press off and start the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a hard job. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: That would be really really hard, really hard.
Speaker 1: Good for him, what a talent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm so glad he to me too, and like lovely hearing about how he and Jeff started the first day and how far back they go, Like you know, again, we all have such a great family in this business through this show, and yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: I love hearing these stories that it will never get old.
Speaker 3: Ye me too, I love it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that's all we've got for you today, fan of Ritos. So, if if you wanted to purchase Bob's book, go over and find out The Warm Up Guy on Amazon.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: If you want to find us on Instagram, we are at HOWD podcast. You can also send us an email at how Rudetanturito's at gmail dot com if you've got questions or thoughts or I don't know, whatever, and you can go to our merch store, which is how rudemerch dot com.
Speaker 3: And what else, what.
Speaker 2: Any of our fantos listening, we're in our audience back in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you if you were.
Speaker 2: Experienced Bob Perl's warm up routine, please make a comment on Oh my gosh, I want to hear from that side of it, because we would never we weren't. We were always backstage trading notes or makeup stuff, so we weren't in the audience.
Speaker 1: I want to know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would love to hear from from any og audience members what it was like, what Bob's warm up was like.
Speaker 3: That's so fun. That's a great idea.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, email us, follow us on Instagram, all the things. Uh, we love you, fan Urrito's thank you again for listening. And remember the world is small. The house is full of laughs.
Speaker 1: Oh good one.
Speaker 3: Laughs, the sweetened laughs.
Speaker 5: Sweet the sweetened as in the you know, the show ons and then just the sweetened laughs which is just loud and cackling. And as Dave says, to locate me wherever I am just listening to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can hear you from buildings away.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah all right, yes, thanks Matarino SI next time.