Speaker 1: Don't listening to Fox Sports Radio Radio Happy twenty twenty six, See you and yours welcome in a day full of college football. Sun shining in South Florida, not so much in Pasadena. Kirk kurb Street's still on his hat for the last forty five minutes with his hat number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hat number two, but apparatus number three. He had a blue towel, some random blue towel covering up his head, and then he went white hat that I saw, And now he's got a gray rose bowl hat and it looks like.
Speaker 3: Not Rhys Davis.
Speaker 2: It looks like he's wearing the trench coat that Robert stack woorren on sold Mysteries. So there is, there's all sorts of stuff going on there. Nick Saban clearly wearing a jacket that isn't his.
Speaker 4: He's well, yes, true, Jake.
Speaker 1: Should I wear this Nike pullover over my turqoise ten thousand dollars suit?
Speaker 2: Nobody checked the weather forecast? Is nobody paying attention to, Like, what's what's happening?
Speaker 1: Why does it say Stanford track on the seat like that doesn't make much sense? Why Why is kirkirk Street's dog taking a water slide down section the road is something there.
Speaker 4: He goes sliding into the water.
Speaker 2: Redhurbstreet's dog walks into frame and just starts shaking himself out in front of the Indiana helmet.
Speaker 4: All over my Stanford truck. Check. That's a soggy want to Pasadena.
Speaker 1: But we are based in southern California, and I can tell you this, the heaviest rains are gonna move out by kickoff.
Speaker 4: It may not be sunny, it may not be clear, but there may.
Speaker 1: Not be as much precipitation as we would have thought for the Rose Bowl. So I think that's good news for Indiana and Alabama as they played later on today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I won't be quite as sloppy. No, And you know, you'd assume they'd have all that figured out. And look, I know, so look, Alabama fans like to travel. I do recall working in South Carolina back in two thousand and nine when they were in the Rose Bowl against Texas for the National Championship Game, and I just remember how excited Alabama fans were with this travel package they got hooked up with where they would fly into San Diego and then rent a car and then go to the Rose Bowl, and I said, are you familiar with traffic for a five o'clock kickoff at the Rose Bowl from San Diego, La?
Speaker 3: Are you who sold you at dummy?
Speaker 1: Geography is a lost art? Okay, it truly is. I love maps. I know you love maps as well. I love knowing where cities and states are. I had a cousin once tell me that she had business in San Francisco, and she wondered if I had time to get together, what like a full weekend, because that's what it's gonna take. Yeah, for me to get from here in Los Angeles to San Francisco.
Speaker 4: That's what it is, just right up the five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: We're not the Twin Cities. It's not Saint Paula Minneapolis. I could just drive over to your place. I don't how it works.
Speaker 2: I don't think people realize how far away things are in California. Like, if you get like in any other part of the country, if it's like, hey, how far is that not twenty miles twenty minutes, twenty miles in California, you may as well be driving to the Sudanne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't get there. It's not happening like switch the app. It says walking, No one says driving. That is that is.
Speaker 3: The route you cannot get there.
Speaker 4: That's that's what we're going to have to take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's impossible. There are Indiana fans here. We'll talk about the mystique of the Rose Bowl coming up. Even more so in about twenty minutes or so, there's a mistake about Aaron Rodgers, and the question is, now is how long will that mystiq?
Speaker 4: Last?
Speaker 1: I do think in advance of that Sunday Night came between the Ravens and Steelers. Jonas that with all that's being said for what's at stake, it has been a pretty good season for Rogers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, Yeah, I totally. I mean definitely better than the Jets, like whatever you wouldever you call that sperience.
Speaker 1: With the Jets, absolutely right, Like the even the second year when he played was such a complete mass with Sala being fired. We know the first year, the runout, the injury on the fourth play. The worst part about that then was all the rumors of when Rogers is going to come back. But none of his tenure was good in New York and so for Aaron Rodgers, to go to Pittsburgh and be battling for a division title in week eighteen. I think it's something you would have taken day one and signing on the dotted line saying yeah, I would take that. I don't think your expectations would be more than that. And there are a heck of a lot more than when he had to deal with the last two years with the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you just told him back in August, tay one game to win the division final week of the season, and yeah, who wouldn't want that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. I mean, and look, we talked about it earlier.
Speaker 2: We don't think it's going to last long if they win, but I still I would agree with you that it is. It has been a successful campaign, and who knows, I mean, according to Aaron Rodgers, maybe there's going to be some options out there, and maybe there's going to be uh part, potentially an act too in Pittsburgh or somewhere else after this season.
Speaker 5: Listen, I mean, I'm thinking about this week. But obviously I'm forty two years old and I'm on a one year deal, so you know what the situation is. Whenever the season ends, I'll be a free agent. So that would give me a lot of options if I still want to play. I'm in a lot of options, but there'll be options. I would think maybe one or two if I decided to want to play.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so there's gonna be some options out there.
Speaker 1: Rogers is never and we can get into the options in a second. So Rogers has never held back in anything that he's I said.
Speaker 3: I thought we were going to play the CBS drop.
Speaker 4: Over Hardy and Bert Kreischer.
Speaker 1: By the way, we may have more coming up later on in the show, so you may want to you may want to stick around to.
Speaker 3: Come to the conclusion of Jason Alden.
Speaker 4: A little big down.
Speaker 1: The Rogers speeches, interviews, everything that he's done, You've always been his truth.
Speaker 4: He's never held anything back.
Speaker 1: And what I find interesting is if this was any other quarterback in a situation, like if Tua is asked about the same thing about his future, if it was Kyler Murray, or like they're giving coach speak answers. They're giving answers that have soft landings. For the most part. This is a pretty like hard landing. But it's not a hard landing because we know the situation. He's forty two years old, the Steelers want him back, yet he's openly talking about the different options that he has. So that's what's so unique to me about this is we think that, say, the Tua era is over in Miami, we think that the Kyler Murray era has probably come to an end in Arizona. But if you were to ask those guys or talk to those guys, nobody is saying like, yeah, I'm probably on my way out. I'm looking different teams that they could trade me to. But that's essentially what Aaron Rodgers saying is I'm a free agent. There's going to be options out there, one of which could be Minnesota considering how bad that quarterback room.
Speaker 4: Was this past year.
Speaker 1: I mean, taking nine out of the equation, it's going to say, yeah, keeping JJ McCarthy in, but leaving nine out because Night had nothing to do with any of that mess. But I mean, Rogers are just like openly saying that I don't know what's coming back. Doesn't even come off as leverage. And so it's it's so unique to hear him just to speak freely like that, because the thirty one other quarterbacks about their situation if they were in a similar contract situation wouldn't be talking like that in the NFL.
Speaker 2: No, And I think he's And you could say whatever you want about him and the way he handles the media and the way he handles conversations, and you know, whether he's passive, aggressive or like whatever turn whatever you want to label him as. I also think that he's very in the moment and I think he's very present. And I think that's one of the things that he because he talked about this after he won a Super Bowl in Green Bay that he remembers sitting on a plane, He's next to the Lombardi Trophy and kind of looking around, going is this it like? Is that like it was built up and built up and built up, and he finally got it and he was expecting it to be more. And I think that sort of changed because Kevin Durant said the same thing before CBS cut him off. Kevin Durant said the same thing, and I think it was kind of like, you know, I worked my way, I had to win a championship, I had to do this, I go and join the Warriors. I finally won a title, I went another one, and it's like, is that it and I think I think Rogers at this stage in his career is so present because I think he realizes this, this could be it, and I think I'm gonna be okay with it. But if there's options, I'll take those options. And I just think it's a really kind of a refreshingly honest approach to what could be the final game of a Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 1: Did you get the sense that Tom Brady was chasing the eighth after he won the seventh with Tampa, like the next year he was back for another Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I just think trying to get away from his wife.
Speaker 4: I could have been that could have been it.
Speaker 2: And hey, let me tell you something, Hey Tom, we're working to buddy, So don't worry.
Speaker 1: Don't worries his wife's I can do jiu jitsu in thirty minutes. The I got the sense that Brady was always chasing that next ring because hecki said it himself, like, what's.
Speaker 4: Your favorite one? The next one?
Speaker 1: It's very cliche. It's a great catchy line to show your determination. But I do think that he wanted to put the Super Bowl records so out of reach that nobody would touch it. And in this day and age of everything is built on championships, more so in the NBA than anywhere else, but in the NFL as well. Listen, we've criticized Aaron Rodgers for only winning one. We've criticized Drew Brees for only winning one. We've criticized Sean Payton for only winning one and having these opportunities. But it's not about that for Aaron Rodgers. So for Aaron Rodgers to go in and have a nice season and enjoy the season and enjoy being around Mike Tomlin and winning games and playing football, that's okay. Like, that's okay. If he wants to go to Minnesota and maybe try to stick it to the pack again, I don't know. I don't know Packer fans would feel about that, or if he just feels the situation is better, Maybe he wants to throw to better wide receivers, feels maybe offensively he could do more in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Look at that option. That's okay too.
Speaker 1: Do we think the Vikings are gonna win the Super Bowl next year if they have Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: So this is this is all okay.
Speaker 1: If Aaron Rodgers wants to do to do that, and I actually feel it's refreshing. I didn't think he was gonna come back next year, but for how well and I use air quotes that things have gone with Pittsburgh and they haven't even won the Division of clinch to playoff Berth, I think there's enough there for Rogers to be like, yeah, I could probably do this for another go around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I also think if he does come back, I think it's more likely it would be Pittsburgh. I think he's comfortable there and that's if you know, if he's if he decides he wants to come back or they and he decides that's that's how he wants to play this thing out, I think it would be Pittsburgh. I also think that the best thing that happened for his relationship with the Packers was his time with the Jets, because I think he realized, oh god, like it wasn't bad at all, Like whatever their decision to, you know, did Jordan love stuff and all that. Like, I think he he was chasing something similar to Green Bay, and I think he's gotten it in Pittsburgh because there's a lot of similarities between the two organizations. The history, the tradition, the consistency, like much like we see the Packers and you know, they've had three quote unquote, you know, franchise quarterbacks in you know, thirty five years or whatever it is. Steelers have had three coaches in sixty years. Like, I think there's a lot of similarities between the two. And I think the Jets being such a vomit bucket, I think made him appreciate his time in Green Bay even more so than he did before. And I think he found a lot of the similarities in Pittsburgh. And I think that you're right about that.
Speaker 1: And so he had the line, if can we play it again, Mark, I can we play Aaron Rodgers again? Because there was a line that he said that I think stands down. There's a reason why I brought up the Vikings. But let's hear Aaron Rodgers yesterday again.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm thinking about this week. But obviously I'm forty two years old and I'm on a one year deal, so you know what the situation is. Whenever the season ends, I'll be a free agent, so that will give me a lot of options if I still want to play. I'm in a lot of options, but there'll be options. I would think maybe one or two if I decide I still want to play.
Speaker 1: So there that last part like not a lot of options that he laughs, He's like, well, not a lot, but maybe one or two. And I think, like Minnesota is an opportunity. And your point about him appreciating Green Bay, I think it's true in the sense of I think he may also appreciate a little more Mike McCarthy at Matt Lafleur because of his relationship with Mike Tomlin and how good it's been. And I think that right may look and this is just me guessing, but he really respects Mike Tomlin, like there's no doubt, like there's no different But Mike Tomlin isn't an offensive guy. And Aaron Rodgers loves to be the smartest guy in the room, and that includes.
Speaker 4: If the head coach is there or not.
Speaker 1: So if it's Mike McCarthy where there was some budding of heads and Matt Lafleur where there was some frustrations, Rogers had his way, and I wonder if he's now like, you know what, after going through the Jets crap, I really respect Mike Tomlin. How can you not respect what Kevin O'Connell has done. I think Kevin O'Connell's beloved by everyone like that, that would be an option for him that maybe because of how things went so bad for the Jets, he's like, Okay, maybe now.
Speaker 4: I do want to play.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would go about this differently working with a head coach who is so offensive minded. So I think, if I'm reading between the lines, that's what I'm reading between the lines. Is his one or two options as a free agent would be other teams. Otherwise he would just end up retiring.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you know, I think I don't know if you want to apologize now or if you want to do it later, but like to just to disrespect nine like that in.
Speaker 1: The years, I just think I apologize to nine, not to JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, only to nine. We'll split the difference, that's fine. I just you know, I think it's pretty disrespectful. I mean, we open up the year and you're just like throwing shade at the guy. I mean, he's out there.
Speaker 4: What year is it? Nine? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why don't they drop a nine? Why was everybody who wearing twenty twenty six classes? I thought this was the year of nine.
Speaker 2: Like what's just the most absurd thing in the world.
Speaker 3: I call him nine.
Speaker 4: Oh you do.
Speaker 3: We're glad you call him that.
Speaker 2: We'd like to call your name when we're doing a game, that's what we'd like to call.
Speaker 3: So who thought that was a good idea?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Who thought that was a good idea?
Speaker 2: But but yeah, I would say the same teams that were rumored to have interest in Rogers, if it's not Pittsburgh, are going to be the same teams this offseason. Like I think Minnesota would be one. God, maybe that's it. Like there was conversations about, you know, maybe San Francisco, but I think that that ship is sailed.
Speaker 4: Clearly.
Speaker 1: The Raiders would be interesting only because there would I think there's going to be a new coach there.
Speaker 4: But you also, number one, I don't think some gud so, well, what's going on?
Speaker 3: What's going on with the rain? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: The worst the worst team in the league has played the fewest rookie snaps of any team in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they fired Chip Kelly, they got too Dad, you know what you're talking.
Speaker 1: Things are good when sixty seven percent of your coordinators are fired, but one hundred percent of your kids stay on staff.
Speaker 2: You know what you know, it's you know, I threw out this proposal.
Speaker 3: You know, I had this idea for Raider fans.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you sign in on this, but you know, when everyone's talking about like what the Raiders should do in the draft, I think there should be another draft, and I think we do a big event. I think you open up, it's at Allegiate Stadium. You're going to sell it out. You open up with a performance by the Blue Man Group. Then you have a bunch of fat fake Elvis's come out in Act two and Act three. The main event is Raider fans get to draft a new team. And I think if you really want to do something for the fan base to get excited, tell him to get off Tankathon. Okay stop, you know, like like literally like Raider fans have spent time on Pornhub and Tankathon in the last three weeks. Like that that's been that's been their algorithm and their search history. Let it go because whoever it is isn't going to fix that disaster that is the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like Fernando Mendoza is not going to fix the Raiders. Like I'm sorry, I know everyone thinks this is like, this is the case. It's just not going to happen. So maybe Rogers to the Raiders could be a possible.
Speaker 1: There was a point this year we thought the biggest issue with the Raiders was that Tom Brady was in the coaches group.
Speaker 4: You have a tuxedo on.
Speaker 3: He's giving up inside information.
Speaker 1: He literally looked like he showed up late for his kids recital, like in his work clothes and just like sat like so.
Speaker 3: I was in the bag the whole time I saw it.
Speaker 4: I'm here, oh man.
Speaker 1: That at the time we thought was the worst thing that could happen with the Raiders this season. By the way, and they played more football games. I had a buddy try and pull that move. I had a buddy tried to pull that move. My awful band back of the day.
Speaker 2: We were playing a show at the Whiskey of Go Go, and I had my buddy who was like, uh, I come down off stage and he's like, he's.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, man, it's all do great show man. That was an awesome show. I was like, yeah, you like him, So what's your favorite part? So dude, all of it, man, you guys rocked. I was like, yeah, all of it.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, man, I saw you just walk up through the side, like where they're literally offloading equipment on from the stage for the next band to come up. I saw you just walk down. He goes, Yeah, sorry, man, I you know, I thought I didn't know. I forgot what time it was. So yeah, that's fine, man, Like, if you paid your ten bucks, it's cool. Oh, y got our money, gave you the lebron Jains. It's your favorite line, all of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, single one, Yeah, every single line is my favorite.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so Aaron Rodgers, who knows could be could be the Swan song or maybe he's back. By the way, be sure to check out our brand new YouTube channel for the show. Just search two pros FSR on YouTube. Begin that's two pros FSR. Be sure to at the subscribe button and don't stop there. The thumbs up icon of common away. Let us know who on the show you agree with, who you think is wrong. But check out our new channel on YouTube. Begin Just search two pros FSR and subscribe.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing, well it's not my favorite thing, but when we work in broadcasting, we work in this audio medium. We've added video and so you'll see jonas, you'll see our hosts, and nobody's wearing suit and ties right and behind the scenes, I mean Mark Scott his white sox cap on, Patrick scott is seahawk sweatshirt on. It's pretty pretty lax when somebody comes here in a suit, like Tom Brady showed up at work. Yeah. The greatest thing is because it's a two part play. The first part is is somebody gets oh looking sharp, and then the following, without fail, is I just came from a funeral.
Speaker 3: So that that's that's what it is. It's never.
Speaker 1: It's never like people always want to be like a job interview, like you're leaving us, and it's like, no, someone near to me died and so I but I had to leave that. I had to leave the morning to come here and edit Raptors next. So that's that happened actually with the coworker here. Ye know, it does. It happens all the time. I came in one day with a slacks and a shirt like, oh, Dan's looking good. Yeah, I got to bury someone four hours later, like this is this is this is why I'm wearing this. Otherwise I'd just be wearing a cap and shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you can you can you help me there? Over on Dickens right now, you're gonna take it over. It's like he is the hearse is over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Never guess like, oh, looking sharp, but where are you headed?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Just to the uh the cemetery two.
Speaker 4: Miles up the road. That's where I'm headed.
Speaker 3: That's what happened. Yes, I'm like, hey, man, you look great because it came from a funeral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only reason why no one's no one has left the wedding to go to work. Just doesn't happen. You know what you take off for the wedding, you go to the funeral, either before or after.
Speaker 4: It's truly what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, and I think that can work in a lot of lines of work as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, if you are on your way to a funeral, make sure you have some tire Rack tires because for over forty years, ti Iraq has been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Ship Fast and free back by free Road has a protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tire rack dot Com. The way tire buying should be all right, So let's get into it. Things have changed in the world of football, and one thing has changed in a big way. Coming up later on, we'll tell you whether this is a good idea or not. It's yours right here at FSR.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Paully Foods Go ahead with Tony Foodsco. Yeah.
Speaker 7: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foodsco Show. Yeah, but instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 3: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Were interrupting our promo?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you wasn't talking about you. You took those clips totally out of context.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 3: Let me put this into context. Shut up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Paully and Tony Fosco Show on iHeartRadio, Apple podcasts oherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Yee.
Speaker 1: Dan Patrick shaw a Fox Sports Radio. Oh he's Jonas Knox.
Speaker 4: I'm Dan Byer.
Speaker 1: Where are your galoshes? If you're heading to the Granddaddy of them all? If you're sitting out a curb in Pasadena, kudos to you for sitting in a downpour during the Rose Parade.
Speaker 2: I think Kirk Curve Street is living a lie, and I just like to point this out. I just figured something out during the break. So we're making because it's pouring out here for those of you listening across the country, just pouring in southern California, still pouring. The Rose Bull kicks off in four hours, four and a half hours. Kirk Curve Street is on apparatus number three, and he started off with a blue towel because apparently they decided they were just going to put those guys in the rain because it makes for good TV. So Kirk Curve Street was started off with a towel. Then he changed to a white hat, and then he's got this what we thought was a Rose Bull hat, and upon further review, I believe it's a Melon hat, which is a brand a hat company.
Speaker 3: Good guys.
Speaker 2: I have known those guys or have gotten melon hats for a long time, but he put a Rose Bowl logo on the logo of the melon hat, and I'm almost positive there are no melon rose bull hats.
Speaker 3: I'm almost really positive.
Speaker 1: If you don't think they have a side deal with the Rose will be the official Patrick Stadium Rose Bowl hat. So what you're saying is that Herb Street probably saw that there was a fifty sixty dollars hat at the at the memorabilia spot, said well, I got a hat in my bag, but it doesn't have Rose Bowl. How about I buy this pin for eighteen dollars and put it on my hat and wear it.
Speaker 2: Either that's what it is, Either that or you got it from Rob Parker. Yes, one of the two.
Speaker 3: I mean goes By.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it does say odd couple on the side MLB bro.
Speaker 3: Because you need to know.
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 1: Oh that goes Kirkirbstreet stalks Yael it By again back in the raft.
Speaker 3: Oh oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, it's tough to play fetch when you're in an inflatable, but they're figuring out a way.
Speaker 4: To do so.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know, you can listen to us on the iHeartRadio app. You can stream us wherever you happen to be so catch us in all of our Fox Sports Radio shows live twenty four to seven and the new and improved iHeartRadio app. Just search Fox Sports Radio and the app stream is live all day, every day, and be sure to select Fox Sports Radio is one of your presets in the iHeart apps will always spop up at the top of your screen. Can I give you credit for something, Dan that I was unaware of. I didn't realize it was a thing. Sure, absolutely so. You and I have worked together for a long time, I think fifteen years at this point, sixteen years.
Speaker 3: Long ass time.
Speaker 2: And I remember having conversations with you about the Rose Bowl and you telling me about you know, the two o'clock kickoff, you know two o'clock kickoff, you know four o'clock Central time.
Speaker 3: You know there's and I.
Speaker 2: And growing up out here in southern California, I never realized that that was truly a thing. It's just sort of you kind of take it for granted. It's two o'clock. What's a big deal, Like it's two in the ET's It's like a random middle of the daytime, what's a big deal. But I didn't realize to other parts of the country. That was really part of the appeal was you got to see the San Gabriel Mountains. You got to see and it's beautiful. Like if you're like, just like, it's not made up, it's not. I mean, you won't be able to see him today, but it's like the whole presentation is really what the Rose Bowl is about. And being out here in southern California, you're so close to it that you don't have a far away view of it all. And I say all that to say this, the game will be kicking off at one o'clock today.
Speaker 3: Yes, so those days are.
Speaker 1: Over change and it's a big It is a big change because the transition period from the third quarter to the fourth quarter, while it's not exact, it was always about the time that the sun would be shining on the San Gabriel Mountains, so you would see a great, great view. So you're you're going from a game that starts in daylight, that goes in into sunsets into dusk, and then ends under the lights. And that's what you would have for southern California and jonass perspective, but for people like us in the Midwest. And the reason why it's a big deal. Is because because the Big ten, Pac twelve, Pac ten, however far back you want to go relationship with the Rose Bowl. It's January one, most places are under snow or it's frigid, and to see a game as your day is about to turn to night in what was a very short day, because the sun sets anywhere between four and four thirty depending on where you are. In a lot of places, the sun is starting to set and it's starting to get dark while this game is in bast and sunshine just flooded with sun and the rays. And you're sitting there and it's June one in the Midwest looking out at a snowbank outside your living room window, and it was this. It was a magical place. It was a place that you would always I got to be there. Someday, I've got to go there. But that's kind of the I guess, dichotomy between the two when you had Big ten against Pac twelve, because most of the Big ten country was under a foot of snow with single degree temperatures as they're watching the Rose Bull.
Speaker 2: It was just something I had never really thought of from that perspective.
Speaker 3: And then when you laid it out.
Speaker 2: It's part of the reason why I like watching Hawaii games, if I'm being honest, I like the idea of especially early in the season.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, the game kicks off at nine.
Speaker 2: And it's it looks like it's two in the afternoon at Hawaii, And I just remember watching a Loha stadium, and I remember watching the Pro Bowl at a Loha stadium and being like same thing, like, man, I want to go there. One day I got to be there, and then being able to get there and realizing, how's.
Speaker 3: This place still standing? Yeah, well, what do anybody get?
Speaker 2: I'm how do we get? So this is the media elevator, Like all we're all taking the same one. You mean, the guy delivering the big waves upstairs, Like I'm taking a cell. Okay, fair enough, But so I when you take a step back and you sort of look at it. It wasn't until I had that conversation with somebody who grew up watching the game from a different part of the country that that was really the appeal, Like that was really what this was all about. And I'm sorry, and I know that it's this whole adapt or dye thing and I get all that, but I just think there's certain traditions that you just don't really need to mess with, Like you don't really have to do. It's why you know, the USC Notre Dame rivalry coming to an end is sad because it's like, man, that's been like what since the forties, that's.
Speaker 3: Been going on.
Speaker 1: Think about last night, Jonas, Like, we have a cotton Bowl that doesn't even bother to color in the full end zones and they're playing at a stadium when the Cotton Bowl is you know, fifteen miles away. Again, there is a Cotton Bowl, which, by the way, they've done a bunch of renovations to But Jerry Jones is going to have the Cotton Bowl in his stadium, a blah stadium that looks just like everything else. The Orange Bowl is now the home to where the Marlins plays. That's been torn down, so they've been playing it, you know, at hard Rock Stadium, whatever it's it's called now, that's where the Orange Bowl is. Like the Rose Bowl is being played at the Rose Bowl, Like there is there is a reason on why it's special. Watch the games today tell us which ones resonate the most. Even though the Orange Bowl may have the best field. It's the it's the feel of the Rose Bowl that is different. I went back and looked at bowl games because when I grew up Jonas for some reason, like my bowl game Memoris was it was the Hall of Fame game, but it was Outback Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Gator Bowl.
Speaker 4: Would be playing early.
Speaker 1: You would maybe play the Fiesta Bowl opposite the Rose Bowl. You'd have the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl at night. That was my schedule of New Year's Day of games. And I went back and looked and there was a period of time in the nineteen eighties where the Fiesta Bowl was the lead in because the Rose Bowl was on NBC. So the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona starting at like ten am. It's like crazy like stuff that I don't remember. But you know what didn't change the time of the Rose Bowl. Everything else moved around, but the Rose Bull didn't. I know that probably brought animosity with other bulls, but the other bulls aren't the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bull has has a right to kind of stand on their laurels to say this is the history, because that's what we all love. We talk about Kirk Kurbstreet and I've seen him I've seen Joel Klatt people are wearing Rose Bowl hats. Have you ever walked around you know? And I love the sun Ball. I've never seen anything like cool sun ball hat, like never never he has the ball hat.
Speaker 3: Never seen one aa Vlara bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah right right.
Speaker 1: And I'm not talking I'm not talking about Arizona State at the Sunball. I'm talking about just a Sunball hat like these are just Rose Bowl hats with a rose on like there is there is something to that. So changing the kickoff actually is a big deal. It's a big deal for a lot of people. And it stinks that the Rose bul has to kind of bend the knee to college football. The point of putting the Rose Bowl as the national championship game, well you maybe wouldn't have the Sunset jonas that we would have liked. It may be the best option. Maybe there'd be a way if it stays the way that it does instead of playing it on New Year's Day, Sunset's a little bit later on in January, you kick off at sunset. Maybe that ends up being the look. But I'm telling you, there is something about it, and when while it's different, it's still a higher More people would rather go to the Rose Bowl than any of the other Bulls combined if their team was not playing in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would also say this. I do like Mother Nature being like, oh, you're going.
Speaker 3: To hour earlier. You guys are kicking off.
Speaker 2: Cool, suck on this. I got something for you, and just pours the entire time here.
Speaker 3: Have fun. Have fun. Guys.
Speaker 2: You want to mess with the kickoff of the Rose bull, We're gonna dump on you. You're not getting your sunset, You're not getting the San Gabriel Mountains. You're lucky we let this game be played.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: If there's a wager right now at some sports book on whether or not somebody gets struck by lightning in the Rose Bowl, today will be the day. And you know what, guess who you blame for it. ESPN's who you playing for it, because they're the ones who are behind this whole concocting of games being moved around at different times.
Speaker 1: It'll be between the one and two o'clock at our local right, shout have been played.
Speaker 3: Right at two o'clock. By the way, lightning bolt from the heavens.
Speaker 1: By the way, they just showed an aerial shot with the sun shining on the mountains with Oregon and Ohio state in the end zone. So they've had these last year's footage because of the crappy weather Southern California's had over the last week or two.
Speaker 2: By the way, do we have an update on the rose bowl melon hat? Are there actually melon rose bull hats? Or did Kirk Curve Street steal a decal from somewhere put it on the hat to try and claim that he has a rose bull hat.
Speaker 8: He definitely stole in all that stuff. It's definitely option B because all the hats I'm seeing is just a It's a blue one, like a UCLA blue one, a USC red one, and then a black one and none of which look anywhere close to anything that he's wearing.
Speaker 1: Well, Jonas's hat is grey, Like it looks similar to the one that Jonas is wearing right now.
Speaker 2: I mean this the let me ask you, is the white with the rose on it? Is that the one that clad had?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like that's like the longs.
Speaker 3: A melon hat.
Speaker 2: Al Right, Well, maybe they maybe do they do? Some of them exist. Maybe Joe Klatt's got more stroke than than Kirk Curve Street. Maybe there's that. So look, you know, I'm a big fan just and just a rose on it too.
Speaker 3: It is a sweet look.
Speaker 1: Nobody's nobody's putting sugar packets in their mouth when they get to go to the Sugar Bowl, Like that's not happening, like maybe we should. Nobody's nobody's taking orange, like people are putting the rows in their mouth when they get to go to the Rose Bowl or win the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: Right right?
Speaker 2: When you think if I were to give you like a bowl game, could you think of one player from your memory of that bowl game?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Maybe putting me on the spot, like Rose Bowl. First player that comes to mind, Ron Dyane. Okay, that's that's fair. Peach Bowl.
Speaker 2: First person that comes to mind, because you mentioned the Cotton Bowl. And I don't even know if this guy played in the Cotton Bowl, but for whatever reason, you say Cotton Bowl, and the first name that comes to mind is Major apple White, and.
Speaker 4: I, oh, that's that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know if he ever played in a Cotton Bowl, but that's just my association with the Cotton Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I gosh, Peach Bowl would be tough.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a funky Bowl because it wasn't a big time bowl and then it became a big time like Cotton Well, Chris Pielman for Ohio State had a great Cotton Bowl against Texas A and M in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: Out Back Bowl bluemin Onion, the the Outback Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think Zach Dumas from Ohio State lit up an Auburn player, believe it, because that was the Hall of Fame Bowl at that point.
Speaker 4: But Outback Bull Clowney yeh rightah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And by the way, that's that's pretty much all he did that game, Like he got I think Taylor the Wan all a tackle he was going against from Michigan, and I think Taylor Lwan had had a really good day that day against Jademian Clowney.
Speaker 4: But yept on the one play, yep, uh.
Speaker 2: Well, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. He's Dan Byer. I'm Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys. And up next here we've got speech has gone wrong? You know this is there's one way to celebrate a great career, and then there's this and it'll be yours here on FSR.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 1: Live Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio. On this New Year's Day, A Happy New Year to you. He's Jonas Knox, I'm Dan Byer. Today's show sponsored by a DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL and NBA.
Speaker 4: Right now you can use the promo code two Pros.
Speaker 1: That's your promo code for two pros and a cup of Joe to claim your special offer at DraftKings. Again, that's promo code two Pros at DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 3: It seems like that's maybe not supposed to be there, but I think it's good. You know, let people know.
Speaker 1: Catch you Brady Quinn LaVar Arrington weekday mornings, six o'clock Eastern, three am Pacific.
Speaker 2: Just not in this time slot. Yeah, not this one. No, yeah, yeah, the earlier one.
Speaker 1: But hey, to the to the victor, go the spoil it is. It is your day, just like yesterday was Gary Danielson's day. The sun Ball was a great game between Arizona State and Duke. By the way, That's a game that I would like to go to because I love how El Paso just embraces the game. Sometimes it can get chilly there. Their field looked magnificent, full end zones colored, none of this insert Rose Bowl stuff that they've been doing for the last twenty years. Just again, fill out the whole end zone. Will you bright orange of Arizona State contrasting with the beautiful blue of Duke in the end zone. The sun Ball is one of my favorites in New Year's Eve tradition.
Speaker 3: What were they jumping into, by.
Speaker 4: The way, was this frost and flakes? Yeah? Torn of the Tiger.
Speaker 2: Okay, they look like those peanut butter filled pretzels. It did not look like frost.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought, that's what they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did a dump on Manny Diaz, the Duke head coach, but overshadowed in the in the win.
Speaker 4: Of course. The Sun Bowl. The reason why I love it is it's the only bowl game.
Speaker 1: CBS has, like every other Bowl games on ESPN, and you's like, you know, Holiday Bowls on Fox, but it just gets it really gets old when it's just the same network. So CBS Top crew, even if it's Arizona State against Duke and the Top Cruise. Brad Nesler and Gary Danielson and Gary Danielson signed off from his broadcasting career, retiring yesterday after thirty six seasons as a broadcaster after an NFL career, And this is how we signed off on CBS in his final broadcast.
Speaker 8: And everybody else I wanted everybody else in this shot saying goodbye.
Speaker 3: It's been team all the way, everything we've done.
Speaker 4: Great camera crew.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're all wearing Gary stickers.
Speaker 5: There's a trikes you guys, as Vern would have said, appreciate it all.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, Yes sir. We are going to have a great time tonight. Look at those guys. How are we going to get off?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 4: Listen?
Speaker 3: One more thing.
Speaker 8: It's sometimes you can say, how do you get off?
Speaker 4: This guy right here?
Speaker 3: Killing house?
Speaker 9: Hardy the herdbreak, got Grrit Danielson, Bird Chrystcher.
Speaker 3: Who's the first name? They say?
Speaker 4: Hardy?
Speaker 6: Hardy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and not Hardy's got us say Hardy?
Speaker 4: All right, very good position.
Speaker 1: So earlier we heard what great speeches like the one Pat Bowlan made for the Denver Broncos when they won Super Bowl thirty two and John Elway finally got a Super Bowl title. We heard what that would have been like on CBS. We also heard what Kevin Durant's MVP speech an ode to his mother. We played how that would have sounded on CBS. Let's take some other moments, Jonas, like remember the night that we captured Osama bin Laden. Oh yeah, imagine if that was on CBS.
Speaker 5: Good evening tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama.
Speaker 3: Ba joined hosts.
Speaker 10: Handy and Bird Kreischer, along with Jason Aldeing, Lady Wilson, Bailey, Zimmerman, and more the country's biggest names. One massive night.
Speaker 3: The countdown is on. They captured and killed. That's how believable. I didn't know who's wanting man, what did he do?
Speaker 1: I get like they could have like the heartbreak that Danielson ran into like there wasn't like the d like the CBS sounder.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, Why would you no? Why would you not even CSI like that? Why would you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Buckle up, We're going straight straight into it. There are the other great speeches, uh, not only in Gosh Test of time. I think maybe the most famous speech in sports was done by the late great lu gerrig Absolutely imagine if it was on CBS for the past.
Speaker 3: Two weeks you've been reading about it.
Speaker 4: Today. I consider myself.
Speaker 10: Joined Hunks's Honey and Her Crusher, along with Jason Albanek, Lady Wilson, Bailey Zimmerman.
Speaker 8: A lot this one mat CBS.
Speaker 3: Okay, the counting is like, hey, Bratt Nessler, what you hold your partner out? For God's sake. The lady's counting down right in your face. Nobody take a cue.
Speaker 1: There is an inside media to that, like Nessler's been counted down his entire career. Danielson just rode shotgun. So the one time they're counting Danielson and if you watch the video and I tweeted it earlier, you can see the sendoff and how it It wasn't really nice send off. It just happened to end abruptly with a year's Eve Rock and Eve promo. But you see the woman counting down and she's like five four, and so you know it's about to happen, and then he goes in this guy and then boom, just your magic, your magic.
Speaker 3: I mean well.
Speaker 2: Maybe uh maybe Gary's replacement is Hardy, like maybe like maybe that's.
Speaker 3: So now that rotating right, yes, so so now that might explain things a little bit.
Speaker 1: Bailey Zimmerman here live for Penn State, Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Like you know, you know what I have noticed though the longer I've done this, like we have this clock in our head to where if you were to tell me at any random point of the day, uh, you got to you gotta say something in ten seconds. We're so used to it now because we've been counted down for so long doing radio that I could do it, like literally anything I could count out, like I could, I could get a message out in ten seconds, like I mean only in English at home, like that's it's not happening anywhere. But I just I know that claw, So I would have assumed that them there probably wouldn't have even needed the countdown, but still they went to it, just in case, just in case.
Speaker 3: And now last.
Speaker 1: Weekend, I knew the Titanic was sinking when he said one more thing like like like oh this is this is not going to end.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's sad, it's sad, but a great career absolutely, and it's been fun hanging out with you Dad.
Speaker 4: Absolutely the hell of a start.
Speaker 1: Happy twenty twenty six, yeah or nine, Joy the roads full