Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast am on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast George Nori with you. Eric Mantel with us acclaimed jazz musician with his group, the Eric Mantel Quartet at Night. Eric Mantel Investigates the Paranormal. Eric was invited to perform twice at the White House for President Clinton back in nineteen ninety eight and for then President Barack Obama in twenty eleven. Interested in the paranormal from a very young age, Eric has led the Eric Mantel Investigates since twenty sixteen, seeking out strange stories to tell, whether it's ghosts, UFO's Bigfoot, or even the dog Man. Fans of his music have eagerly followed him into the paranormal world as well, and on many investigations, Eric and his team have gotten groundbreaking video and captured strange pernormal activity. Eric, welcome back. Have you been hey, George?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, man. You have to thank you for having me back.
Speaker 2: And you have a new book. I'll call it Eric Mantel Investigates.
Speaker 3: I know, man, I it was a long time coming.
Speaker 1: It was yeah.
Speaker 3: Eric intelling investigates, casebook investigations, encounters, stories and other worldly contact and other wise all the stuff, all the stuff in that book is true. That you can't write this stuff.
Speaker 2: It just happened and it all flows perfectly. I've got your CD by the way, that you send along with the book. You guys do a good job.
Speaker 3: Thank you man. Well, I knew you were a jazz fan too, so I said, I wanted to send that to you. And yeah, we thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 3: You know, thirty one years as a band leader, I always say in this this group of mine's been together twenty of those years. I always say that to my audience. We've been together longer than most marriages.
Speaker 1: So how did we still like each other?
Speaker 2: How did you get involved in paranormal investigating from your music career?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, you know, I being an only child, you know, my father had so many stories as I was growing up of things that he encountered and things here in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, where where we're talking from. Bucks County has a really rich history of a lot of paranormal activity, ghost stories, and even Bigfoot sightings and a lot of UFO sightings as well. So I kind of grew up with that and that was always in the background, like always in the periphery. And then of course, you know, when I was like fourteen, I found the music of Dave Brubeck, and you know, usually other fourteen year old kids were listening to heavy metal and whatnot. I'm listening to day Brewed Beck, you know, Oscar Peterson and Duke Gallington and all these great cats. And then went into the jazz career, but always loved the paranormal and that was I was something that was I was always fascinated with. And like you said, in twenty sixteen, I was looking at a lot of paranormal shows on TV. And I had always been a filmmaker too. I was like film and editing, and I said, you know, I could do that. I could probably do something like that. And we started out as Bucks County Paranormal Investigations and quickly changed it to Eric and Tell Investigates because we're doing a lot of traveling all over the country and it's been an incredible journey and we're only getting started. Just some of the stuff that we've encountered is so we're still you know, wrapping our heads around.
Speaker 2: Do you primarily investigate cryptids and creatures or do you touch the ghost stories too?
Speaker 3: Oh, George, we cover it all, man, it's everything. And I worked with my He went to high school with me, Dominic Seatel. He's our spirit medium, although in high school I never knew he was a medium. You know, we used to practice martial arts and stuff together, and we worked on cars. I had like a seventy one Camaro. He still has his nineteen eighty Firebird, and so we used to work on cars together. But when he came back into the mix back in twenty seventeen, he said, you know, I might be good on some of your investigations because I'm a spirit medium. And I'm like, wait minute, I never knew that. You never told me that. And he has been great on it. It's like ninety nine percent of the time, right on the money with a lot of the stuff that like, I'll get a lot of the history from the people that are at these venues, whether it's a bed and breakfast or a restaurant or an inn, and I'll keep everything to myself as far as the paranormal activity goes. And when he comes into the location, he goes right to those hotspots. So it's amazing to get that on camera and then we can confirm what he's sensing to what is actually going on as well. So he's kind of giving us a preview for what's going on and you know, in what we're in store for. So it's been amazing, and we work with Julie Krause, who is another psychic medium as well.
Speaker 2: It looks like you've got about seventeen different stories in this book. The Eric Mantel investigates where did you get them? How did they come to you?
Speaker 3: They well, one was actually the very first story in that is something that actually happened, and all of those cases that are in the book are cases that we have been asked to investigate. I have to make a distinction that when I get people calling, like I get a lot of people messaging me saying, you know, please help us, our house is haunted and and things like that, I don't do that. We don't go into people's homes and and exercise the demon, so to speak.
Speaker 1: But we will.
Speaker 3: I will refer them to somebody that could go in and you know, cleanse the house if need big, you know, and and that's that way. But we are Basically, we're kind of like a like a paranormal tourism and we're we're going into a lot of these investigations and a lot of those stories in the book are like bed and breakfast. There was an inn, a seventeen fifty nine farmhouse that we investigated which has a business attached to it, which is an architectural salvage company. And when we did this investigation of this farmhouse, the woman in there said that her, you know, that there was a spirit in the that she felt in the home and she really couldn't put her finger on it. She knew it was coming from the bedroom upstairs in one of these rooms, and you know, so things like that, like we were on the investigation and we're in the bedroom where she's feeling this energy and she completely had a meltdown on camera because it was like she got bum rushed by the spirit that was in there. So things just and like my show is completely unscripted. It's, you know, whatever whatever is going on, we're capturing that on video, whether it's ghosts or when we were out in Elkhorn, Wisconsin investigating the Beast of Prey Road and capturing what we captured on video there and Bigfoot in the New Jersey Pine barrens. So I captured what I did was in the book. I kind of like reiterated and kind of recap what those like in short form, what those investigations were like, and what actually happened on the on the investigations and what we captured on video truly remarkable.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been scared on a paranormal investigation?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's funny. I just was talking to somebody about this, and it's when we had the encounter with the Beast of Bray Road now the Beast of Bray Road for your listeners, and I'm sure they know this, but it's a supposed to be an upright canine on that walks on two legs and that has red glowing eyes or yellow glowing eyes, and people have seen this for years. So when we're on that investigation, and I had gone out there thinking that we weren't really going to see anything. I just thought that we were going to have, you know, great documentary. We're going to talk to some great people and get this really great documentary happening, never thinking once that we'd actually encountered this thing. And the Night of October third. And I know I've said this before, but it's just some something that I'll never forget because my whole world changed that night when we heard this thing and that made a sound, that made a howl, that sounded like a man screaming in this field that we were in. It was this like low guttural scream, growl yell combination. And the fear factor was there of like what are we hearing? You know? It was like we were kind of stunned. And then what really got me? And then what and again, George, we had no protection either. We had like a flashlight and a radio, that was it. But what really got me was when Dominic said, and Dominic was with us on this investigation as well, he said, shine the light over to where we just heard the hell We shined it over into the corn and there's two yellow eyes about seven feet up in the corn, darting back and forth, yeah, looking at us, And like that was when I said, Okay, we're out of here. I said, and was basically saying, this is my territory. Get out of here. And so we hopped on the four wheelers and got back up up to Lee Hample's farm and we got back to the bar, and Lee couldn't believe we were back so soon. But so things like that, you know, it's not so much scared, it's like the the I guess you could say it's scared, but I wasn't scared, per se. I was more curious, like, you know, what is this thing? What are we hearing? And you know, and you go to a point of like trying to figure out what it is. And when you cross that one line where you think, Okay, now we're getting into some territory. Who knows what this thing is going to do. I'm not going to go there because look again, we had nothing to protect ourselves. And I've had other people call, you know, message me and say you definitely need to get out there, and next time you do that, you have to have protection. And so you know, it was just a crazy, crazy night. And then after that, a week later, after that Elkhorne investigation, we did the U Bigfoot in the New Jersey Pine Barns because we were getting a lot of reports of that bigfoot researcher that I know, Eric Spinner and his partner aren't Mack. They do incredible research of bigfoot in the New Jersey Pine barons. No people will associate the Pine barrens with the Jersey Devil, But the Jersey Devil is I think is a misidentification of bigfoot because you know, there's always been inconsistent reports with the Jersey Devil. It's either a big wings type horse or you know, it could be small as small as a turkey or as you know, like a medium sized dog. So the reports are inconsistent sometimes. But people have been seeing these creatures going in neighborhoods on two legs, getting the garbage and bringing it back out into the woods. So there had been and they range in sizes from like you know, four and a half five feet seven feet, so there's been a lot of juvenile bigfoot sighting. So we went down there and did an investigation, and again it was like, no, sooner do we get there. Of twenty minutes into it, we're getting whoops and hollers in the woods. And if people know anything about the Pine barrens, it's thousands and thousands of acres of just dnse bars. And we were about five miles in on the into the barrens, and we got out of the truck and went about six hundred yards into where we set up base camp, into the woods in this area in the Wharton State Forest, and I mean all hell broke loose, like twenty minutes later. It was crazy, and we got these whoops on video and not and no disrespect to any of the bigfoot researchers out there or anything like that. But when I was watching those big foot shows back in the day and I would hear these guys whooping and hollering for these creatures, I would always have a little chuckle and say, is that what they really sound like? But my whole perspective changed that night when we heard when we heard the same thing so and then and then Eric's wife answers it back, and they're having a conversation back and forth, and you could hear it plain a day on our video on our YouTube channel, and Eric and Tell investigates it's called Pine Baron's Bigfoot. And then we did another follow up last year as well. But so many things, George, I mean, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take a couple of stories from your book, not all of them, because I want to leave something left for the reader. Of course, tell us about Lady in the Woods.
Speaker 3: Oh, man, man, this is something that happened to me, and I still, you know, can't believe it. So back in I want to say November of nineteen ninety seven, that's what it was. I was on my way to a gig. And you know, we live here in Bucks County and there's a lot of back roads and things like that. So I'm on this back road in Bucks County going to this gig in Wycomb, Pennsylvania, and I I'm traveling down this road and you know, it's fall so it's dark, and I'm going at a pretty good clip down this one road. It's called Pine Lane in Whitecomb. So I'm going down. All of a sudden, a deer runs down in front of me. Boom, and I hit it and I was like, oh my god. So I slid with the deer. We're sliding probably about sixty feet and came to a stop and I felt terrible. I was like, oh my god, man, you know, I got out of the car. I'm looking at this port thing just hit it dead. And I'm looking at this thing. And now I'm a piano player, you know, as as jazz musician, and I'm looking at this thing and it's dark, and the lights are on it. From the car and out of the woods. From behind me, I hear a woman's voice say, house your hands. And I turned around and here it was this one, this woman in white. It was like floating like white robes and flowing ropes like that kind of thing. And she moved in front of the car. And when she did you know, when if you if someone was standing in front of the car and you get like a silhouette of that person, that's what she looked like, just this kind of blurred image in front of the car. But what really got me was when she bent down and took this two hundred pound deer by the ear and dragged it off the road like it was like light as a feather, and then turned around and said, you better get your car and get off the road.
Speaker 2: Did she look Did she look physical to you, Eric?
Speaker 1: She did.
Speaker 3: It was a physical thing. It was a physical person. And you know, the voice kind of cut through the noise of the motor and all that kind of stuff, and I just I got back in my car. I didn't say a word, I didn't say anything. I just kind of got in the car and I left and I went that and I went to the gig and told the guys what happened. They were freaked out. I went back the next day. The deer's gone, and I was thinking to myself, well, maybe there's a house back here. Maybe somebody was in the woods and they spooked the steer out and that's why I hit it. But then I went back to that that part of the road. I was looking around. There was no houses anywhere. It was all nothing but woods. There's houses now, you know since then that have been that have been built, but but back then there was nothing there, and so it was something I consider her my guardian angel. But here's the thing, George, this is the most incredible thing. Now, come to find out there is a lady in white that has been seen in Bucks County that I didn't even know about at that time. And I only found out about this, you know, maybe just a couple of years ago. But but my father also had this this encounter in the mid seventies and also here in Upper in uh Bucks County, in Upper Black Eddy with the same well I don't know it was the same thing, but he you know, he uh. Let's state that my dad was a little bit of a partier in the seventies, let's just put it that way. And he'd come home late at night and it was about two in the morning. He swears he was stone sober this night. And so he's he's sitting on the front porch of our We had like a little house, little apartment type house, and there was we were on the bottom floor, there was a family on top floor. And we lived across the street from the Delaware River, you know where Washington cross the Delaware. So we're in upper Black. Eddy he's sitting on the porch and he's cooking a steak on this little grill, this little habachi grill, and he's looking at the water, and all of a sudden he sees this white something or other on the water, and he's as he's looking at it's floating down the river and he's looking. It's about a half a mile away, and he's looking at this thing and here it's he says, oh my god, it so it looks like a woman all in white. And then she turned her head and looked at him, and when she turned her head, her face came right up to his form, like a quarter a mile away. And then she turned back went and it went back to the water and as she's got floating down the river, she's saying, I'm going home, I'm going home. And he said, you could hear these words echoing through the valley. Now I asked him, even on his deathbed a couple of years ago, I said, Dad, is did that story? Did that really happen? And he swears that it happened, And so he had an encounter with her too, or something of that nature. And I'm just getting goosebumps talking about it because it was just, you know, that's something that I had heard my entire life, and then they had that happen to me, which was which was really crazy. And then also here in Bucks County there's a restaurant called the Black Bess in there is a story in there about a woman in white who was I guess she found her husband cheating Back in eighteen hundreds, she caught her husband cheating on her. She went out of killing the husband and the mistress and herself. And I'm wondering if there's a connection there, so that we've been looking into that as well.
Speaker 2: Did she look angelic to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know a little bit. You know, in the book, I put some pictures, and it was hard to describe how to how she looked, but she did. And it was more like it's hard to describe like how she looked because it was it was a physical form, but I couldn't see physical features. I could see the I could see the blurriness that the outline of this person that was there, but it was it was more of like an obscure kind of like physical form.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more