Speaker 1: I'll tell you that after we're done with the awkward Tuesday phone call. Today, I do want to go have drinks with a woman that was on the phone with us.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sounds like a good time. She does.
Speaker 1: You're gonna find out why here with a brand new episode. Thank you so much for finding the Brook and Jeffrey second Date update. Yeah, we think you're really going to enjoy today. But first comments, Jules said, I'm fourteen and I love listening to the second date update while I'm cleaning cars. Oh you miss the spot they're jewels? Oh yeah, Oh I just builed coffee in mine today.
Speaker 2: Could you come?
Speaker 3: No, take care of that after me inside?
Speaker 2: Probably just the outside.
Speaker 1: She's getting a driveway.
Speaker 2: All right, Your brand new episode starts right now. It's awkward. It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. I recently asked Brook, what's the latest tally on your list of best friends? Because it seems to just be forever growing, just keep adding them on. How many are we at now? Brooke?
Speaker 1: I think I have like nine best friends.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so jose and I made the lists right, Yeah, yeah, you have the list. I feel like I don't believe you now any eye.
Speaker 4: Contact with us?
Speaker 1: First names I thought of.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just work. I'm curious. Is it ever hard to do things with one of your best friends or just a small group of them and exclude some of the others? Does that feel bad?
Speaker 1: They're all from different parts of my life, so they don't necessarily overlap.
Speaker 2: So no, you don't feel bad. That's all you have. She keeps them where she wants them all. Yeah, I'm just saying it doesn't feel good to be excluded. And one of our listeners, Joe, is on the line right now because he's feeling hurt after he got left off of the guest list. Joe, welcome to the show man.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Guys, you're not my best friend who I forgot their name? Were you?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay, okay, don't worry. She will forget your name in five minutes from now, so just give it a little time. But tell us who hurt your feelings and didn't invite you?
Speaker 5: Oh, so this is my best friend Monica. Monica and I have been friends since college and there's never been anything romantic between the two of us. It's totally platonic.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, that's different than Brook and her best friends. But keep going.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have best guy friends, but I did date them previously, not a long time ago.
Speaker 2: And the girls from college, you know that was a gray area. But that's fine, sure.
Speaker 1: Whatever, okay, but you get feelings mixed up, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: Sure, but you and Monica ever since college, it sounds like Joe just totally like besties. No mixed feelings in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like something else about both of us is that we're both birthday people.
Speaker 2: You know, you have birthdays. I also have a birthday. Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Birthday people who do it all?
Speaker 2: That's a week?
Speaker 1: Yes, you do the decorations and the fun and the party.
Speaker 2: Gotcha? So is the event that was happening that was at a birthday event?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So every year on her birthday we make plans to talk or like grab lunch. I'll bring her balloons.
Speaker 2: So nice.
Speaker 5: We always do something on her birthday. But last week I called her and I couldn't reach her. But she called me the next day to say, oh, yeah, I'm sorry, but some of my other friends threw me a surprise party.
Speaker 2: Oh that's where we are. That kind of hurts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially because I was like, what other friends? And she named a couple of her girlfriends that I know, So I was like, how did I not get invited to?
Speaker 2: This is weird?
Speaker 1: I will say though, maybe on the girlfriend's part, the person who hosted it, they just don't think of guys.
Speaker 5: I thought of that too, and I was like, oh, so was this like a girl's thing? And Monica was like, no, there were guys there.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, oh the cool guys at this part?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, don't say that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was the hot guys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that won't hurt feelings.
Speaker 5: So I actually hit up one of the other girls that hosted it, and I was like, hey, I just want to know, like why I wasn't invited? Like is everything okay? And she was really elusive about it, like it was just one word text responses like oops and that was it?
Speaker 1: Oh one word responses feel so weird?
Speaker 6: No apology?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh my god, we forgot.
Speaker 6: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that they would say that to you?
Speaker 5: So I have one theory and I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, kind of buddy. I hate this I made up in my brain. Okay, what's this theory?
Speaker 5: Monica has an ex boyfriend named Damien. Okay, and they've been on again, off again, and I don't think he's good for her. I really you don't like him. He's been unfaithful to her before. So I can totally imagine Monica being like, I'm back with Damian. Damien should be here. But if Damian's there, Joe should not be.
Speaker 1: That's why you sometimes just got to keep your mouth shut when it comes to bad relationships. Your friends are in you know.
Speaker 5: I can't do that though, because Danmian cheated on Monica, Like that's an unforgivable thing morals.
Speaker 2: Man sounds like Monica likes to be cheated on a little bit. Sometimes it's a fun game.
Speaker 1: Nobody likes it. J Cycle that you find yourself.
Speaker 2: They don't like the cheating part, but they like the drama of Like I kind of like being tossed back and forth. I don't think that's it. Yeah, okay, I mean listen, Joe has theories that he doesn't like. I have theories that I came up with that I also don't know. I'm not saying that I support it. I think it's horrible. I think Damien's the worst guy in the world. Show but Monica might love him, and that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Love, what are you wanting to do? Do you want to talk to talk to Monica? Is that what you want to do with this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I haven't brought it up with her yet, but I mean, if that's what's happening, I have to know, because it was just so weird. It's the only thing reason I can think of for not being invited to the surprise party. Like, there's no way that anybody that all of them just forgot and they would.
Speaker 2: Have said that in the text.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have said oopsis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate that I, of all people, am the one being sort of left out in the dark about this, And I just I just I just have to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's fair. I mean, as her best friend, you deserve some sort of explanation for not being invited to her birthday party, but you don't want.
Speaker 4: To with her.
Speaker 1: You don't want to ruin a beautiful friendship over this. You know, you guys have to talk it out. Sometimes the hard stuff is harder thinking about it than actually having the conversation.
Speaker 2: Right And sounds like, yeah, looking for advice for how to draw the truth out of Monica for the real reason. Is it because the ex boyfriend there? Or is there some other explanation for it? Will try and help you get that from her when we come back and give you our advice before your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 5: Thank guys, hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. Why would your best friend not invite you to their birthday party?
Speaker 1: It was the saddest birthday song ever.
Speaker 2: Jest it was the saddest birthday for Joe because Joe's wondering about his longtime bestie from back in their college days, Monica. They've celebrated each other's birthdays together for years. Did they talk every day? Almost yes, So it was extremely odd when Joe couldn't reach her at all on her special day, only to find out later there was a surprise party where he was one of the only friends not invited.
Speaker 1: To give him a reason why, yeah, they just say, oh oopsie, not even sorry.
Speaker 2: The one explanation that makes any sense, at least in Joe's mind is Monica's rotten, cheating ex boyfriend could have been there, and since Joe's been outspoken about not liking the dude. It's possible Monica's friends decided not to invite Joe on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to eliminate ye exactly?
Speaker 2: Is that the actual truth or just some wild conspiracy theory Joe's spun up in his own sick, twisted mind. Oh Joe, are you sick and twisted? No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Not no?
Speaker 2: All right, that's why he wants to know the truth, and he needs Brooks advice on how to get Monica to come out with it. Brooke, what do you have for it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, if it is that she's back together with the cheating ex, she's obviously embarrassed. She knows that it's not the best thing to do, and she doesn't want to hear it from you. Okay, So what you need to do to get her to open up is say, hey, listen, I've always said some things about him. I was upset by his actions. I'm sure you see something I don't. I'm your best friend. I'll support you no matter what.
Speaker 2: Oh, say that you love her ex boyfriend a lot of friends bad. That's what you got to do, all right, Joe? Do you have her cheating x'es back?
Speaker 5: If I have Monica's back, more than Damien's.
Speaker 2: That's what Brook's saying is you have to say some nice things about the X, and you got to.
Speaker 1: Be open to it. It's not your choice, it's her.
Speaker 2: So think about that. Jose, what's your advice. Well, I was thinking you should say this.
Speaker 4: Because we're best friends. We should play a game called secret for secret, right.
Speaker 1: It's what boy's best friends do each other.
Speaker 2: Let's talk secrets.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you something that you don't know, and then you tell me a secret about the party that I didn't go to.
Speaker 2: A little secret swap. Actually not why I wasn't invited. It could just be anything.
Speaker 5: It might be a little antagonistic, but I might be able to do that in a way that's a little more seazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I wanted you to do. Even if it's a last resort, you still have it in your back pocket. So yeah, you're probably regretting calling into the show. At this point, I'm just gonna die, like, Yeah, let's just dial Monica's number, We'll see if she picks up, and we'll let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call, hopefully get an answer for why you weren't invited to her party. But here we go.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hey Monica, are you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 5: What number?
Speaker 6: I didn't see your names pop up?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm just called from work and call from a different phone. Nice.
Speaker 7: What's up dad?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Nothing, I've just had a second here at work, so i'd give you a call and would you want to grab lunch sometime later this week? I know we didn't get to connect last week.
Speaker 7: I feel like, oh you are Yeah, for sure, I've been I've been meaning to call you.
Speaker 6: I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about you, and I feel so bad. We definitely need to.
Speaker 7: Get some lunch for sure.
Speaker 6: Oh cool, Okay, thanks? That?
Speaker 7: Uh yeah that that that really means a lot.
Speaker 5: You've been thinking about me.
Speaker 6: You're welcome. You're welcome. What are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I love you.
Speaker 6: I want to get went with you.
Speaker 5: Okay, sweet, Yeah, we got we got a lot to catch up on.
Speaker 7: I wonder how your birthday went?
Speaker 5: You know, well I.
Speaker 6: Already told you about that, so we can move on past that. I want to hear about you.
Speaker 5: Oh well, you know, I don't really know all that much. You know, I don't know. Maybe we could do do a little something called secret for secret?
Speaker 7: Okay, what is it like, well, I'll tell you a secret about me, and then you tell me a secret about you, like maybe specifically, like why I wasn't invited at the party, the birthday party again last week?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I mean I don't really know if it's why do we need to talk about that? Are you that bored? We have to do let's do another secret?
Speaker 5: Well? No, this is this is we we share everything, you know, we know everything about each other. And and I'm just like I thought it was really weird that I wasn't there, and like, I just is there a reason? Is just what I wanted to know.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know I have been feeling pretty guilty, So maybe it's good if we talk about this.
Speaker 5: Listen, you know that you're my best friend, So whatever it is that's going on here, I want you to know that I'm going to support you no matter what.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, Well, so I haven't been trifle with you about that night that day. Okay, I never had a surprise party. That did not happen. I actually told Gina to cover for me with you. What the real reason why we didn't talk is that I god, I was in jail.
Speaker 1: Who did not see that I don't know that we talk anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Joe, what well, what is going on? Who is that on the phone?
Speaker 2: Hey, Monica, this is a radio show called Brooke and Jeffrey in the Morning. Yo, we've been helping out Joe with this phone call. It's called the Awkward Tuesday phone Call.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're sorry for hearing that part. Yeah if you didn't even want him to know?
Speaker 5: Ye yeah?
Speaker 6: Now okay, Now I'm telling everyone on the radio this.
Speaker 7: Okay, Monica, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody made yes because it's okay Monnica.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends, so that's a good point.
Speaker 2: She's out.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm not gonna say a lot about it now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you tell your best friend though?
Speaker 1: Like that would be the first person I want.
Speaker 5: To call and tell.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was, It's just embarrassing. I got in trouble at the library.
Speaker 5: The library.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 5: What could possibly land you in jail for something that you do with the libraries?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: In decent exposure?
Speaker 2: Okay, naked at the library. I didn't know library does those.
Speaker 6: That's why these.
Speaker 4: Romance novels are getting out of hand.
Speaker 2: Guys, I'm trying to tell you, God, this happened on your birthday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: Like reached out to the radio.
Speaker 7: Just find out what happens?
Speaker 5: Would you here?
Speaker 7: And this is what this is what ended up happening.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, is this okay?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Process Joe is processing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of spiraling a little bit.
Speaker 5: Tell me the truth here. Did Damien have anything to do with this?
Speaker 6: No comment, Joe, You need to stop because you said you support me no matter what you said that.
Speaker 7: Oh but before I knew that.
Speaker 5: Oh god, Okay, Okay, look at the bright side.
Speaker 2: It's not like you missed a surprise party that never happened. She was just in prison.
Speaker 6: There wasn't You didn't miss a party. I just couldn't talk to you. I was held overnight there and I just we just need to lunch, dude, We just need to like hang out.
Speaker 1: Jo it's not the jail bird that she's embarrassed about. I think it's the hooking up with the ex part that she knows you don't approve of.
Speaker 6: Actually, it's a little both. I'm embarrassed to both.
Speaker 2: That could be true too, But Joe, why don't you tell Monica all those nice things that you were saying to us about her ex boyfriend right before we made this call.
Speaker 5: I don't recall any of them being nice.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I mean I think, Joe, you're going to have to support her in all of her decisions, even the ones that are questionable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the one with no pants on. You don't know that could have been top, could have been sure.
Speaker 6: Listen, I have a copy of the police report.
Speaker 7: I will show you, but I'm not showing you guys on the radio.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Police reports our public knowledge, so we'll be able to look at it.
Speaker 5: Oh girl, Okay, well, I guess we're definitely gonna have lunch now. I have a lot to think about this, Okay, okay, But.
Speaker 2: The good news is, Joe, you came here to figure out the real reason, get Monica to open up about the truth about why you can reach her, and now you know, mission accomplished, and that it's going to be such a fun story at lunch.
Speaker 6: I probably shouldn't drink during lunch. I'm just letting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one trip to jail this month is.
Speaker 1: Probably she's already making better choices, Joe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there we go, There, we go, Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 2: It's funny the difference between guys and girls. Where Monica was ashamed and didn't want to say anything about this to her best friend, but you know, her ex Damien probably called all his bros. Immediately was like, oh, dude, you won't believe what. I just got arrested for hooking up with my ex in the library room by five.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's remember she did tell her girlfriends, she just didn't tell the one friend that didn't approve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I think proves. And Brooke, I'm sure you'll agree with me on this that men are more honest overall than women.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought it was going to prove that libraries are actually sexy places.
Speaker 2: Oh see, now we know why Brook is reading all the time. Naughty girl. But you can email the show if you have an awkward situation you're dealing with. We can help you out with it. Make sure he's subscribe to the podcast as we're listening right now. Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning