Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Today we have a very special guest everybody on Are You a Charlotte? We have the incredible Cain Peterson. You may remember him from a very very fun episode in the middle of season three called Hot Child in the City. He plays the comic book store owner that Carrie ends updating, and there's pot involved and all kinds of fun things. Cain is a great guy. He's super interesting. He is a radio personality, an actor and a podcaster, and this is one of his biggest acting jobs. So it's really really fun to hear his take on the whole experience. He has a lot of memories. Please join me and listen to my conversation with the fantastic Kane Peterson.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good? How are you wow? Your sound is read a book?
Speaker 2: Is that good?
Speaker 3: Knew it would be.
Speaker 4: I use it as I have a podcast and I record my radio show out of here too, so it has to go.
Speaker 3: I saw.
Speaker 1: I'm so fascinated. I need to hear your whole story.
Speaker 2: I'll give it to you. I'll try not to bore you, but you know.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna bore me. Tell me everything.
Speaker 1: Go back, go back, go back in time. Okay too when you were on Sex and the City. Okay, because you're great.
Speaker 4: Really, because I just want thank you so much for saying that. I just watched it again, maybe like an hour ago, uh huh, And because I really i've probably seen it, like I sat down with the family the first time it premiered, and it was a big to do right. It was fantastic, and I was so critical that I couldn't really enjoy it, you know what I mean? Like I did, and so I would just see it in bits and pieces here and there. I'd watch part of it and go like, ah, I could have read that.
Speaker 2: Better, I could have done that better. And then I get embarrassed. I shut it off.
Speaker 4: And then I watched it this last time, now an hour ago, and I gave myself some grace. It was was a fantastic episode. And not just me though, but like the entire episode, every storyline was hilarious. I agree, you're Rebecca and schooing her, and I mean that whole thing was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: I love that episode and I hadn't really remembered it that well, because it's kind of a bit of a departure from our norm in a really interesting way. And I don't ever think I met you, which I think because we just didn't work together.
Speaker 4: Right, No, Yeah, we didn't have any lines together, and I was hoping that I would get the chance. But there was one day where I thought I might because this is how great Sarah Jessica was and I'm probably gonna go all over the place here, but cool, I thought I would meet you here. She had found out I didn't tell her, but she had found out that it was my birthday.
Speaker 2: And so we're at Silver Cuff.
Speaker 4: Studios right right, and I get it's a lunch and I felt just like I was in junior high again, to never sit with the cool kids.
Speaker 2: I didn't know anybody. I didn't know where to.
Speaker 4: Go in all of a sudden, Yeah, all of a sudden, I hear, hey, Kane, and it was Sarah Jessica call me over to the table, and she had got me a birthday cake.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And there were so many people there, like crew and stuff, and it was it was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how you met her in the audition process. What was that like?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The first time I went in because I was always I was in VH one at the time, and I'm a radio guy at heart. And my agent called me one day and he goes, hey, do you want to go audition for Sex in the City. I'm like, what's that? You know, I'm a cool guy on Howard Stearn's rock radio station. You know, I don't know what that is my shirt?
Speaker 1: I'll go.
Speaker 4: And I auditioned, and you know, I just wore what I usually wear and didn't really give it much thought, and and my boss calls her. My agent calls me A couple days later, he goes, yeah, you got a call back. I'm like, oh, what does that mean? Because they want you to go read again. They want you to read with Sarah. I'm like, oh, all right, cool. So I show up then for that second audition, and I'm sitting in the lobby.
Speaker 2: You've probably had these experiences, maybe.
Speaker 4: Like way back, you know, Oh, yes, sitting there and you're looking at everybody. I recognize people who are in this audition. I'd never done this before. I'm sitting here going I'm never going to get this. There's a kid from Kids in the hall on one chair. Wow, there's Adam Goldberg, you know, the crazy roommate from Friends, Chandler's roommate.
Speaker 2: He's there. I'm like, these are people that I know, who what am I doing here?
Speaker 4: Almost got up and left, and I went in and I auditioned whether and there's a room full of people, and I'm too stupid to be nervous, too ignorant to be nervous.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, You're right, I know.
Speaker 4: That's thank god. And we had some laughs and they laughed and clapped whatever. I left, and I get the call, It's like, yeah, you got it. And then talking to Sarah later, like during the filming, she said, by the way, we kind of knew you had it once you walked in the room before you even auditioned. They're like, Daddy, that's him. I guess you have see I didn't know how acting works. I'm like, apparently you guys have in your head already what the character looks like, and so what I brought to it. I guess she you would have really had to be super bad to.
Speaker 2: Not get that kid.
Speaker 3: But I do think I do think it's a weird thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's partly because you also weren't nervous, right, because sometimes I think people can really fit all of the parameters but then are so shut down, which I've definitely gone through myself, right, Like the nerves just shut you fully down, right, And that obviously doesn't help people feel like you like your vibe, but you were just so perfectly cast. You're just so great in it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's so good and you and she have such great chemistry. It was exciting.
Speaker 4: It was so great. I mean, like, thank you so much for saying that, because it's really it was. It was a highlight of my life. I remember being on the on set. I had a trailer with my name on it, like, oh my god, this so weird.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: We filmed over my birthday, July nineteenth of two thousand. Yeah, And I'm in the trailer and I call mom. You know, I go, Mom, I never guess, like the first time you got a cell phone in your car?
Speaker 2: Yes, where I am?
Speaker 4: I'm in my car, I was, I'm in a trailer with my name on it. I'm like, I told my mom. So I'm like, this is probably the apex. It's not going to get any better than this. There was a great moment we had in the phone, and not in a bad way. It was just like you know, and it turns out that was absolute highlight of my career.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is why we wanted to talk to you, because you're You're a very unique, you know, character in our whole scheme of things. And that was one of the fun things about the show is that there weren't that many shows filming at the time in New York. There was like Law and Order, you know, so very cop, cop cop, and then us very different. And once we really got going and kind of found our vibe, our role, our niche, we really got to kind of pick and choose who we wanted to some extent, and You're just so perfect.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, where is that King guy?
Speaker 1: We got to talk to him, and you have this whole whole world that you have have created since then.
Speaker 3: It's super interesting.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really a stretch role wise for me. I mean, that was pretty much who I am. I'm kind of a goober. But can I ask you a question about the episode itself, because you mentioned it earlier you said, like, the episode was it's so very different from a lot of the other ones, and I looked it up. I remember his name was Alan, but the guy who wrote it was Alan Heinberg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so many people who have come up to me and told me.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say it's their favorite episode, and a lot of people also say it's so much different than all the other episodes. And I never really explained it, but in my head, and what other people have told me is because like Alan wrote this one episode and then didn't write any others. And I don't know why he never wrote any others, but it was that what you attributed.
Speaker 1: To is like, yes, you're absolutely correct. So Alan is a great guy. He is super into comic books and whatnot. He's gone on to run shows that are based on kind of comic novellas. I don't even know how I should be describing them. But he's had quite quite a career in his niche right, And I don't know how he came I should find Alan and ask him. I don't know how he came on to our show, but sometimes our writer's room, Michael Patrick King, our executive producer, would kind of just want another voice in right, because mostly we had women, and then we had Darren Starr and Michael Patrick Darren had created the show.
Speaker 3: Michael was our showrunner, and he would think, you know.
Speaker 1: What, we need a straight guy's voice, or we need another guy's boss, or you know whatever. So he would bring different people in and they might only write one. Maybe they spent some time in the writer's room, just like you know, talking about ideas, right, but they would be assigned one. And this was his baby, where he got to just create what he wanted to create. And what I do remember about the episode, which is so trivial, but the summer before we had been filming in New York and it was one of those crazy hot summers. You know some summers are just like really hot and the whole city smells bad.
Speaker 3: And exactly the summer before had in that.
Speaker 1: And so this episode called the Hot Child in the City where you guys spray each other with the hose on your mom's balcony, which is all so hysterical.
Speaker 3: It was supposed to be really hot based on.
Speaker 1: Last summer, but it wasn't. That's what I remember about it.
Speaker 4: Oh really, it was hot enough to where I wasn't like bitching, am I getting wet?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? Right? Right?
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like the year before where we were just sweating, you know, just like just so uncomfortable. But I loved the episode because it is so different, and I love it right from the get go, when she goes she's going to try to find her dry cleaning, and like you have those moments where you go to somewhere in New York and it's gone.
Speaker 3: You're like, wait, wait, where's the place that I used to be? Right here?
Speaker 1: And in its place is your character's comic store, which is so adorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Did you love all that? Would you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, here's what's funny about it is, I'm looking at it now and I'm remember you know how when you watch yourself in something and you can remember, it's hard to actually watch it for what it is because as you're watching it, you're thinking about what was going on that day or I remember filming that right, yes, And so I'm watching that now. I've been so far removed, So I'm watching it going like, God, why wasn't I Why wasn't I more nervous?
Speaker 2: I remember?
Speaker 4: Not even like I feel like I didn't appreciate it. I feel like I didn't soak it in because it was just so everyone's telling you what to do and it's new, and I go, oh, I go here, Oh, I go there.
Speaker 2: Like it was so.
Speaker 4: I don't know, just mechanical that that I really didn't appreciate it. Now watching it back now, I'm like, okay, I kind of get what I was thinking at the time. And but that was the very first thing we ever shot. We just started with that scene, and.
Speaker 1: Well, it's perfect, You're perfect, You're amazing, Thank you. I do think though, as an actor, because you're trying to do so many different things right and there are so many people telling you what you need to do, and then you have your own interior life, it's very hard to actually soak it in also and do your job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I don't remember getting a whole lot of direction. I would read the line and you know, i'd mess something up or whatever. And of course she never messed anything up. It was always me.
Speaker 2: And I. You know, they would just say, oh, do it again.
Speaker 4: But maybe with there wasn't like I was so worried about I'm not going to be able to follow their instruction. It's going to be totally opposite of what I what's coming natural, But no, there was none of that, and it was it was the best direction anybody gave me. It was Sarah the bedroom scene, yeah, or she takes me home for the first time, and like, so we're on our knees on the bed and right before they yell action, she leans in and she goes, no tongue, and.
Speaker 2: I go, I wasn't gonna, you know, I was like, I've never done it before, but I was aware.
Speaker 4: I knew that I've probably shouldn't stick my tongue down her to and I wasn't going to.
Speaker 1: But that was I think that's good. I think that's good. And she was just trying to be professional and polite.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should tell him, Yeah, I mean, I think that's good. That's really good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that they didn't overdirect you, because I do think that's part of what is so incredibly winning about your performances, that you seem like a regular guy, and it's really refreshing on our show.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, thank you. I took that. I got a lot of auditions after that.
Speaker 3: Did you what happened?
Speaker 1: What was it? Like?
Speaker 4: Well, I got the taste and now all of a sudden, I'm like, well, maybe maybe I do want to be an actor. So you know, William Morris, my agent at the time, was all hopped up on me.
Speaker 2: Now you know I got.
Speaker 4: I got an acting role the first time I ever tried out for one, which is heard unheard of.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many actors I told that story too, and they just were so mad like that.
Speaker 2: That ain't how it works.
Speaker 4: But so I kept flying out to LA for pilot season, like you know, every year, and trying out for this and that, and you know, it's weird. You've probably gone I'm sure you've gone through this, things you've tried out for but maybe didn't get, And then you watch it. You see the movie and it comes to the scene that you read for, and that weird you Like I was watching it. I was watching a Kieran Culkin movie like this was like a few months ago, and all of a sudden there was a scene that was super familiar, and I'm like, because I saved all my scripts, I'm like, funny, Oh, I wouldn't I auditioned for it. It was just weird to hear those words I almost got remember will and Grace when yes, Grace's character date Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was mine.
Speaker 4: And then they were like, they were like, well, they called and said Woody Harrelson wants to do it.
Speaker 2: He said he would do it.
Speaker 4: Of course you got to go with Woody and they were afraid I was a bit too green still for an arc because it was multiple episodes, so that came. That was the closest I got to getting something else. And if I get that, who knows, maybe something else changes. I'm doing great now. I love radio, and I love all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That I'm doing.
Speaker 1: But I mean you're doing Will you have a podcast? Yeah, you're on the forefront of all the things that everybody is doing. You have a great voice, So I see, I see why all the things. But I'm sad they for us that you didn't work more because I think you're very interesting. You know, thank you on our side. But it's good that you get to do what you're doing and that you love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got another another great Sarah because people always ask me is Sarah?
Speaker 2: How is Sarah?
Speaker 4: And so I think this is another great story that but the birthday story that talks speaks to about what a great person she is. So the first day that I show up. We're sitting in the makeup trailer and she's there, and she's already sitting there, and she was so friendly.
Speaker 2: First thing.
Speaker 4: One of the first things she said was like, wow, your arms, because I had I was working out a lot then, so right there, like sets me up for a great day, right, And we just start talking. We realize we have baseball and common and stuff, and yeah, she loves her Yankees and stuff. Probably still does. Right, of course, that's fandom. It was you're a fan, You're always a fan, totally. And I come back the next day and all of a sudden, she's rattling because she asked me what my favorite team was.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Minnesota, so I says, it's Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 4: So I sit down the next day and she's rattling off all these He goes, all, I see the Twins lost. Oh, but so and so had a great game. Oh and so and so pitched like four point seven and whatever it was. How do you know all my Twins players? She goes, I looked at the box score. I want her to be able to talk about it today. Wow, isn't that great?
Speaker 1: It's impressive because let me tell you, we were not talking to her about stuff like that. She could not get her her baseball facts into to our conversation.
Speaker 3: It was just been like whoosh, whoosh. So I do think I think the thing about Sarah.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many incredible things about her, and sometimes people are like, oh, you know, that's not real or rare.
Speaker 3: People are so cynical, you know.
Speaker 1: Now. I think they just think that everything's fake, right, and it's not. She's a good person. She was a good person before the show. She was a good person during the show. She's still a good person. She's a very professional person, you know, like she's been working since she was I think nine or something like this, and you know, yes, she knows her lines perfectly. It can be quite intimidating, right, Like I would always mess out mine and feel so bad because she had so many more than me, but I'm the one messing up, right. But on the other hand, it's a great example, like she's just so solid, you know, but she's also so kind of thoughtful and personable that she would think like, oh, he's coming on my show and he likes baseball.
Speaker 3: I'm going to read my StAst today. Like that's very hers.
Speaker 1: She's very thoughtful and it's lovely. And I feel sometimes like when people become really really really well known and they're on the cover of magazines and everything, they just seem bigger than life, like they're not really real.
Speaker 3: And I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that our culture kind of does that to them, you know, pop culture. But there's still a real person in there, you know, with feelings and thoughts, and they're thoughtful and they're complex, and they're all the things. And I'm so glad that.
Speaker 3: You had a great experience.
Speaker 1: I would have thought nothing less watching your chemistry, right Like when I watch you and her, she is so free, you know, like there's a freedom and a playfulness that you brought out in her. Oh cool, Yeah, it was really really I hadn't remembered all that watching And that's what's fun about rewatching right like.
Speaker 3: Much later, and I'm the same as you.
Speaker 1: Like when I rewatched myself, I'm like, oh, no, I was okay, I was okay, yeah, yeah, which is really nice because at the time I'm just like, oh, I don't like how I did that, yeah exactly, or I should have turned at this point or whatever, Like you can somehow redo it.
Speaker 3: Which obviously you can't.
Speaker 1: But yeah, now all these many years later, I can absolutely say, like that was really good. Oh my gosh, I didn't know. I was so happy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, there was one scene where it was the we're walking through the arcade, Yeah, the barcode.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just code. Yeah, we got a beer.
Speaker 4: We're just you know, we're just shooting rerees and I'll talk whatever. And that was that was my favorite scene watching it because it was so.
Speaker 2: Natural.
Speaker 4: I was convinced watching that that, like, oh, yeah, these two are on a date and these two are these two are having a good time. And then I remember when we got in the ride at the end of that scene and it starts to close. I remember, I remember, look at it. That wasn't that wasn't in the script where I go, here we go and then she laughs and then she laughs. I just I don't know why I said that, but I was just in the mope, right, you know, I just love it. Yeah, I forgot I was acting. We're just hanging out. Here we go the ride.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: So so that, you know, speaks to what you said about Yeah, just looking play and bringing out the playfulness and her.
Speaker 1: So the thing that I love about your character, and I assume also your actual just person. You're so now like that character, You've got the scooter. You're scooting through Barcode, which is like our whole world.
Speaker 3: Now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The comics, which then, like Marvel, wasn't even a thing, like it was a little culty thing or whatever. It wasn't the church, right, like the night this is two thousand. I think that we filmed this, yeah, two thousand. So it's you're very on the cusp of all of the things that came video.
Speaker 4: The games before you had to go to Barcoe, to the Arcade to play them.
Speaker 2: I would I would go to Barcode today. That place was awesome.
Speaker 3: I know it's still there.
Speaker 2: I think, is it No, I don't think it is.
Speaker 3: Is it not there? Okay, So this is not my area.
Speaker 1: You're in La, right, I'm in La But even when I'm in New York, I would not go to Times Square because it wasn't it like right in the middle of Times Square.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tourist, go to Times Square. I lived in Hell's Kitchen for ten years. I lived in Hell's Kitchen during the shooting of that and that's fine. You know that's the west side of Yeah, of course, I know. Clinton is what you're supposed to. It's what you a cab. They call it Clinton. I'm like, where why is that saying?
Speaker 3: I know, I do not like the new names. I do not. I do not. I find it very confusing.
Speaker 2: I don't know why is that offensive? Health kitchen? Why are we not allowed?
Speaker 3: But it's adorable.
Speaker 1: It's so evocative and like we have so many memories of you know, how it used to look, and now it's you know more, sheheshi. Of course, as is the entire city. Basically, I don't need to rename No.
Speaker 2: No, no. It was more dangerous than I remember.
Speaker 4: You couldn't go past ninth, you couldn't walk further, you couldn't walk west of ninth because it would get sketchy.
Speaker 2: Then eventually it was tenth. And now you can go all the way to the water and you don't.
Speaker 3: That is so true.
Speaker 1: I remember that too, because there are some weird little theaters, like smaller non Broadway theaters that are over there. But you had to kind of plan your ride because there was no uber, so you had to figure out, like, well, I've got to walk east because it's safer to get to the subway. Yeah, I remember all that.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 1: It's funny to think back because the city's so different, but you know, what can you do?
Speaker 4: It was great watching the episode now I understood what everyone meant by like the city was an actual star of the show. Yeah, because having lived there all that time and now watching it, because when I shot it, I was living there. I didn't really appreciate what I'm looking at. But like every scene, like with the braces and they're just walking there eating ice cream in front of a park, and I'm like, oh, I'm looking at all these.
Speaker 2: Like look at that. That is our New York.
Speaker 4: What was the actual In my opinion, that was like the heyday of Donor.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, I mean in so many different ways. Like the year two thousand to me literally was the Heyday because two thousand and one, you know, in September, we know what happened, right, and everything changed. So I feel like two thousand and two thousand and one were like the glory, Like everything was in super bright colors. You know, it just seemed like things were popping and beautiful and fun and active, you know, and kind of like things hadn't been built up yet, but they were beautiful. Yeah, and now it's very built up. And I hate to complain about it because I still love it, but I do miss I do miss the old and the olden days. Was there any other thing, like do you remember where the hours really crazy?
Speaker 3: Were you like, oh this is weird or no?
Speaker 4: It was just all fun. There was nothing that I was ever complaining about. You know, I didn't care how many takes it took, because again, mostly my fault.
Speaker 2: And no one said she ever give me a scowl. No, don't worry about it. Oh, don't worry about it. I'm sure she was like that with all you guys.
Speaker 4: But like the barcode, we were there late, you know, that went into the wee hours, and man, I had that stupid scooter. Now they kind of cut it out, but I had to start. We started that scene with me on top of this giant escalator right, oh my god, that came out the door and they had it where right as the escalator, right as I'm about to get off, I had to pull the scooter out of the bag.
Speaker 2: And and like there.
Speaker 3: Was a weird guy.
Speaker 4: There was a way to like undo it coolly with just one fell swoop, like grab the handles and throw it up, and it's supposed to snap into place, and it wouldn't. I kept getting it wrong, and then I would get it right, but then screw something else up. Oh yeah, because you're so focused on getting the scooter right. But then as soon as you get the scooter right and you step on it, you go, hush, Well, what am I supposed to say? Ah? You know, you got to go up again and back down again and all fun, all fun.
Speaker 1: I mean that sounds challenging. That sounds really challenging. I would not want to have to do that with the scooter. No, but you you seemed whatever they edited in or out, it seemed very adept at your scootering. Because I was surprised by the scooter. I don't really remember scooters back then. Obviously, Now they're you know everywhere, righted, yeh exactly, yeah, And that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: You were like so on the forefront.
Speaker 1: But it's so interesting and it's such a different carry that we see with you, like kind of a young you know, there's like a younger vibe, like almost like a high school vibe, which I kind of goes with your character too, because you're still living with your parents. It's so funny and also so now right, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: What I saidn't know. I didn't know that I'm working with a legend. She is, like was a legend in the business.
Speaker 3: Yes, Anita Gillette.
Speaker 1: We had a really fun time when we got to hire the legends like that were kind of like theatrical people everyone in the theater world knew and it was wonderful to be able to hire them. And that went on until we just finished the our I don't know what we're supposed to call it, continuation show. We had a couple of really incredible old timey theater actors on, which was really fun.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you when you saw that script, like you said, Carrie was like this difference, You got to be this different person. Do you feel like you got that too out of that episode because it was so different?
Speaker 3: What do I do in that episode? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh you know you have the schooner and the Rebecca.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah I did.
Speaker 1: I mean Charlotte does a lot of funny things like that, like sometimes they have me tap dancing and like creat crazy things. Judy Bean but I feel like the thing that I liked about it was that it was just a enough different that it got your attention, you know what I'm saying, Like you were like, oh, this is fun, this is this is it's still my character right, Like it wasn't so far out, but it.
Speaker 3: Was different enough.
Speaker 1: And I remember Alan and I remember him being really fun to be around, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't really know.
Speaker 1: I feel like he we had a few writers where they then became a hot commodity themselves and got stolen away, you know, basically to do their own show, and I do think that's what happened with Alan Heinberg. And I have to find out because I know he's like a big show runner now.
Speaker 4: You know, Oh is he really yeah? Wow, we hit it off. I should call him see what's going.
Speaker 1: Totally totally. He's a great guy. I haven't seen him in years.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: I was thinking after after I talk to you, because you were my big person, where I was like, I need to talk to that guy Kane, because he's super interesting and it's fun to It's fun to talk to the guys because I love to hear people's experience. Because I wasn't I didn't get to interact with you. You know, it's fun to hear. Yeah, your take on it all.
Speaker 2: What's great about that episode?
Speaker 4: Like, well, the show itself is every year Well Publication will write a new article about the show and rank the episodes or rank the boyfriends, and everyone always sends that stuff to me, and I like the boyfriend the latest boyfriend rank, I did pretty good. I was above John bon Jovie. So I was like, okay, I know. But then then you see these threads. I stumbled upon this thread that was like like somebody said I was ugly. I'm like, oh, well, you know, I mean, I wasn't the hottest boyfriend she had.
Speaker 2: I get that, I understand it. But that's what people are. That's how the internet is.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you don't want to if you don't want to see it, don't look totally totally totally.
Speaker 3: That's fun that you can see it. What happened?
Speaker 1: Like so, so, acting wise, you were the hot commodity and you were flying to LA. Were people recognizing you on the street?
Speaker 3: Was he talking to you? Was it positive?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Always positive? You know God, I mean, because that was such a huge show and you're right in the throes of it. In season three, you know, and so that was Hey, I got into uh a lot of clubs because of that show, a lot of lines because.
Speaker 2: Of that show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Wow, you had a pretty good boyfriend where you didn't have to do anything too horribly embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I'm saying, Like you weren't the funky spunk boyfriend or do you know what I mean? Like you had it pretty good?
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, it was pretty normal.
Speaker 4: The only thing I had to do and they cut it out was like because I told people, like, well, there's more to that scene and dead that I had with her, but they didn't air it.
Speaker 2: I guess it maybe didn't look real.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but no, she was like we were rolled on top of each other and I forget what the dialogue was. I don't think there maybe was any but like you know, rolling over after the phone call and stuff, and I'm like, uh, they took it out, but whatever, that's how TV works. Things get edited something to stay in. But yeah, I know, nothing was really Yeah, it was pretty good. It was really good. Yeah, in that in that episode where he had to like his pants were down but he's pretending to master baby embarrassed.
Speaker 3: I don't, oh, I know, it was a lot. It was a lot. He was very brave. He was very very brave. It did bring out the craziness of the crew that day though.
Speaker 2: That was what happened.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you everything that happened, but you know, we were these crazy hours right also, so like no one slept and then you're doing like crazy scenes like that with a Jugs magazine, you know, with my face like, oh my god, it's so embarrassing. So I was like kind of uh, anxious, anxious about it all, and I think Kyle was just trying to, you know, get through it right. And like all the prop guys and the camera crew and everything were in there with them, and then I had to open the door and they had put all these sex toys and stuff like just things to shock me. And they thought it was going to help me, but it made me so mad. I was like, Kyle, why did you let them? He's like, I don't, I don't know, you know, I mean everyone's just trying to get through it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's one comfortable stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean like I would have needed the set cleared. I'm like could you get everybody out of here? Because uh, and then the mirror. I was like, I was looking because he was facing a mirror.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they messed up. I wonder if they accidentally got a little root in the in the scene or whatever. But they didn't. They were good about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he was facing that mirror when you think about it, like, that's kind of odd.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah, right, he's looking at himself.
Speaker 3: Ew coll A slash Tray has some issues. I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it was you know, we were always just right on that line of like, yes, these things are real and we want to show them, but also they need to be funny and like sometimes it would just get like crazy. But that's where I love about your part, is that you were this kind of outlier, right that she stumbles into your world. Yeah, and then she just kind of has like a frolic in your world. And then in the end she can't make it work because you're living with your mom, which is kind of adorable.
Speaker 3: And I threw her under the bus totally exactly.
Speaker 1: She has to ten that the pot was hers, which is said, but so cute.
Speaker 3: It was just incredibly charming.
Speaker 4: That's the line that most people when I would get recognized, that's the line they always say.
Speaker 2: And I'm taking it with me when I go. I have heard that so many times.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one. I like that. I like that very much.
Speaker 4: Or they would do the thing like this, like they're throwing the chicken wings and you put your arms up and try to deflect the wings.
Speaker 2: They would do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's so cute, so cute. I'm so glad you had a good experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, when I met Ferris, I met her husband.
Speaker 3: Oh you met Matthew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a weird way. So I say Ferris because that's what I was saying.
Speaker 4: No, because we get done with the bedroom scene and you can't see because lights are on stuff, and I'm focused on what I'm doing. And then so I get off the bed and the first person that comes up to me to extend the hands, he says, great scene.
Speaker 2: I look up and it was him. It was Matthew Roderick. Wow. Her husband is the first one to tell me. He just watched me roll around in the sack with this. Again. I'm new to all this this is normal for you guys.
Speaker 4: You know, I just roll around and to pretend Hey with his wife and he's telling me great scene, and then my head of like, my.
Speaker 3: God, oh my gosh, yeah, that's just funny.
Speaker 2: Stars.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you a little funny Matthews story. Matthew does a lot of Broadway and he's great at it, and he did a very serious play once. It was not a musical, and I went to see it on the weekend and you know, we were in production and I wanted to support Matthew, so I went to see it. And in the middle of a scene of this very serious play, these fans who were in the balcony of the Broadway theater had brought a huge banner that said Ferris on it and they unfurled it on all.
Speaker 3: The middle of this scene.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, for matthe like that's prob, you know, and you just have to ignore it and keep going. And you know, those fans love him, right, but like not really appropriate.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, he's much more than that. He's Matthew Brodrick and now he's doing this and like, you know, but that's how much.
Speaker 2: People love that character.
Speaker 4: And you get I don't know, do you get mad when you're associated so much with one character?
Speaker 3: It's hard to know.
Speaker 1: I think you go through every feeling, you know what I'm saying Like, I think you go through every feeling over time. And the nice thing that I that I just heard from Sarah he just did a movie with Ellen Ruck who plays his.
Speaker 3: Best friend and Farish Fueler.
Speaker 1: Oh, so they've worked together again, and I can't wait to see it. I mean, sometimes I feel like you circle back, you know what I'm saying, Like, maybe for a while you're like, I don't want to be associated with that anymore. It's too much, and then after a while you're like, no, No, that was incredible and I love this person.
Speaker 3: I want to work with them again.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I love them both, and obviously for me, that was a huge movie. So I totally understand and I'm glad. I mean, it's very rare that Matthew came to the set. That's interesting. That's an interesting story.
Speaker 2: Well he's like, who's this? Who's this?
Speaker 3: I think, and I think it might have been. I think it could have been.
Speaker 1: But that that just goes to show that you were fantastic thank you, thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Game so much. I just love to hear from the guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the invite. This was so much sure yay yay for a long time. I'm so glad.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.