Speaker 1: Welcome back to Ravens Press Pass. I'm Cassie Scherago. It's November seventeenth, and the Ravens were just defeated by the Pittsburgh Steelers eighteen to sixteen at Akroscher Stadium. Head coach John Harball and Ravens players discuss the loss.
Speaker 2: First up here from John Harball.
Speaker 3: Well, question, Jed, John been doing so well?
Speaker 4: What do you think what was the difficulty?
Speaker 5: What was the Pittsburgh doing to create so many difficult.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing was the we just got in the second law too much. Second long then ends up being third and long. Too often. Penalties. I've set us back too much. John's going to.
Speaker 6: Take for this team to cut down on the penalties. I mean, it's it has been an area of weakness this year.
Speaker 3: It's definitely something we got to do, and we got to cut down on the penalties. That's very important. We've done it before. On offense, we haven't had a lot of those in some of our big offensive games, but today that was a big problem.
Speaker 7: Communication issue of discipline thing. Is there anything that you can kind of take at the tape.
Speaker 3: That's what you do. You look at all the different situations and you know, if you can come with some big, you know, one thing issue that you're looking for with that question, and we'll have it. If not, it'll just be they'll standalone type situations. Just depends on each each circumstance.
Speaker 6: Confusion on that two point play because it looked like Likely and Aguel are on the left side.
Speaker 8: There worth not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 3: I'll have to look at it on tape and talk to the coaches. But I didn't not that I was aware of. Nothing was talked about during the game and I didn't see it.
Speaker 7: There's a thought to putting Derrick Hennery in on that play.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that stuff before. We have two point plays called. We called the one, they called time out, We call the next one.
Speaker 8: John h at the end of the first half to go about the eleven yard line with less than a minute left, there was a fumble, they got the.
Speaker 3: Ball back into the What went into being aggressive in that situation at that time, Well, I mean it's a screen, which is like a run, and you can't take a knee there. I mean maybe if they have three timeouts, you take a knee. They're calling their time outs, you're punting from your own what twelve yard line or whatever it was, So you got to try to get at least a good play to starts. They don't call their timeouts just a fumble. John.
Speaker 8: We know Tempters his own biggest critic. We know he has a long track record.
Speaker 6: How can sartn are you with his struggles continuing and especially in the place he's had so much success kicking here in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's techniques to make kicks, you know, that's important. He makes him in practice, and he made the long one later, which is good to see, which means he's still very capable. You know, kick him straight. We'll be good.
Speaker 7: John, I know you have the three timeouts obviously. Was there ever any thought about an onside kick at the end with a minute?
Speaker 8: We considered it.
Speaker 3: We felt like the best chance was to get a stop and get the timeouts, get the ball back with about forty five seconds, have a chance to get a field goal range to see if you can win it right there. We thought that was a better and percentages I think would bear us out as opposed to getting an onside kick, which is hard to do. Anything.
Speaker 7: Is there anything you like you can see him doing defensively?
Speaker 8: Or anything doing against the law or just.
Speaker 3: I thought they played well. It was more more than anything, it was the penalties that set us back on a second, you know, down the second long.
Speaker 8: On that failed two point co version?
Speaker 4: Was it an RPO? Was it a a run that from March just kind of pitched away?
Speaker 3: Or he was a play that we have I don't think I need to describe all the details of the play, but it was not an RPO.
Speaker 5: Now he los to keep that, I know.
Speaker 3: Updates on any injuries right now, it's about five minutes after the game, right John, m.
Speaker 9: That Jackson didn't make the trips at any.
Speaker 3: Breason what I have nothing to report on that, right John?
Speaker 5: He saw Marlon leave with like fifty seconds that he went to the tunnel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: Quarterback Lamar Jackson took the podium?
Speaker 5: Or what is it about the Steelers that that created so many difficulties?
Speaker 10: I believe you know, we we had a lot of slow starts, if anything, you know, a lot of penalties, three turnovers, stuff like that we can't have in these type of games. This environment uh known as the division of game. That's still that's still a raven. Uh rivalry, it's the it's the one who uh have more possession of the ball and keeping it safe.
Speaker 3: And we didn't do a good job at that.
Speaker 7: Were you seeing any sort of different looks from the Steelers defense that prevented uh, you guys from getting off to a faster start?
Speaker 1: M nah.
Speaker 10: Like I said, we just it was first and long a lot, second and long a lot p We were try. We were just trying to get back on track and we wasn't ha s having success. And I don't even think we can rate it any third downs.
Speaker 7: I don't know, Lamar, what was supposed to happen on that two point try.
Speaker 10: Uh it was a uh QB, it was a QB run.
Speaker 3: They just stopped it. They did a good job, Famarea.
Speaker 6: You mentioned some of the long distance and plays it because you're behind the chains. Penalty is a big part of that. What's it gonna take for you guys to cut down on penalties? I mean, you know, both sides of the ball. It's been a problem at different times throughout the year.
Speaker 10: I mean we can't we can't control when when the rest wanna make they calls. That's their job, and do they gotta make those calls, and we just gotta try to do a good job back not having you know, not holding uh, lining up in the right formation, stuff like that, you know, just being smart and not saying my player, my my teammates or slow anything like that, cause they're not. But it's like, we just gotta play a great game, you know, save for a hundred percent save game, no penalties l more.
Speaker 9: Why do you think when you play the Steelers, these and the stakes seen.
Speaker 7: To happen, the turnovers, penalties, It seems to be a common denominator when you when these two teams get together.
Speaker 3: I can't call it.
Speaker 8: I can't call it.
Speaker 10: I feel like we was we was, we was taking strides in the right direction, and then it'll be something happened, you know, But I can't call it.
Speaker 9: Of that initial turnover on the first drive. I mean, it's that sort of sort of a down note to even start on. Or is it tough to kind of recover from that?
Speaker 10: Nah, like we you burst that off. That was first quarter games NBER one in the first quarter. I've never seen any NFL game one in the first quarter, So we we just had too many though, you know, after that win, it was a couple more and well one more in a interception. Uh So it's like, we can't be happened those in these type of games.
Speaker 7: You feel like you guys had a momentum after Russ's interception, the one done in the end zone and then you guys get the ball back of the champion.
Speaker 9: It's fifteen minute time. Do you guys feel like you had momentum, Like, hey, we got a shot to if you wanna.
Speaker 10: Take the weakness, yeah, but I believe on that drive. We had a penalty on that drive too, when we got positive yards in an explosive place. So it's like that's taking the momentum from us, you know it way it went back to those guys, and then.
Speaker 7: You know, kind of on top of that, like what's it like.
Speaker 6: When okay, you go it on, then you go for the time you got a two point play it, you know, with a chance to win it.
Speaker 10: S we just gotta get it, Yeah, we just gotta get that more.
Speaker 7: At this point of the season, you know, the twelve weeks in you guys have talked about the penalties and things, and that's kind of been it happened a few times. How would you describe the level of frustration with your guys with that stuff.
Speaker 10: It's annoying. You know, we busting out behinds out there just like anybody else. We tryna put points on the board, and it's like we getting cost of their penalties each and every drive. Like every time we was out there, I believe it was almost a penalty each and every drive. It's like, that's crazy, but uh, as part of football, we just gotta overcome and put points on the board.
Speaker 3: Cause those guys had what sixteen points.
Speaker 10: Where we had fun what what it was sixteen eighteen something like that sixteen eighteen score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we gotta we gotta.
Speaker 10: Put more points on the board, right.
Speaker 5: Uh do you think what the penalties and the turnovers that you guys feel like you you're you're your biggest statriment. It wasn't really what's up, but what you guys did you feel?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 10: It's been that way for ever since last year, I believe, you know, going back to the as a championship game, we killed ourselves Chiefs game, the opener killed ourselves, Raiders, we killed ourselves and today same things. It's just like we can't be beating ourselves in these type of games. We gotta find a way to fix that.
Speaker 4: I know you don't play the events, don't play special teams, but it's a frustrating. And to see the defense have a great game like this. You guys have had so many great games on offense, just the the few times you've been able to put together a complete games and team.
Speaker 3: Yeah that that, Yeah, I was, I was.
Speaker 10: I was hot about that. Our defense played great today. Man, they they hold up. They held a great team, great offense to eighteen points and we just scored sixteen points. We been putting up all these points all this year. That's it's annoying.
Speaker 9: Going back to the Jamerson's question a little bit about the performances here and do you feel like there's any mental pressure on yourselves.
Speaker 7: To perform in this week?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 9: We know you guys take this seriously. Talk about importance of beatings dealers every year. Is that part of what you think might lead to some of these mistage?
Speaker 5: Yah?
Speaker 10: If anything, we just be too hype at the beginning, you know, cause I believe when we shuttle down, we started making things happen, you know, And in this type of game, it's a momentum game. It was swinging for both teams and those guys had to have had the Uh that's when at the end.
Speaker 8: There two more what suggestion?
Speaker 2: Good cornerback Marlin Humphrey addressed the media.
Speaker 5: What's the level of frustration when you when you lose that much.
Speaker 11: Your mad I didn't eight. I did not realize it was aided the last nine. Yeah, I mean I think it's clear. You know, we've really struggled against them over the over the years. You know, I've been on the at least two or three of those eight or nine or whatever were you know, game winners on me. But yeah, man, they they they've kind of had our number. You know, you y you get to see him twice. Uh, you just keep just keep fighting, you know, you know what I mean, you know they're gonna be a well coached team, uh with with with Tomlin over there, and uh, you know we the it's always a battle. So you know they had that had our number, but you know, we we just keep fighting.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks, we're getting kind of chippy in the first half on your side of the field.
Speaker 9: What went into those couple plays back to back before that flag was thrown.
Speaker 11: Shoot, honestly, man, I was Uh, it was a lot. It was a lot, you know. I I been in this robbery for a while and I told the guys, man, I I just it was it was a lot. The emotions were were hot for me. Honestly, it was uh I I I can't really say I've Honestly, I can't really say I I've been in a situation where I felt the kind of so uh uh emotional dur during the game. And I kind of blame it on my family, my family group message, mainly my big sister. But uh yeah, man I I told some of the guys, I was like, y'all helped me out. Man, I'm kind of emotions are are are flying for me, and uh so they they helped me out. But uh yeah, it was it was different.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 11: I really I found myself watching uh over the years of Raven Steelers highlights the other day. I don't know, I mean, I it just.
Speaker 8: I love this robbery.
Speaker 11: I I love robbery games, but but this is really the one. You know, you got the the browns, the bangles, but to me, this is this is really the one you want to get the dub you know, you came up came up short. But yeah, I just can't can't can't do that, can't let the most you get the.
Speaker 12: Best of you.
Speaker 11: And uh, that's a that's a no big deal. Really, you got one you can't get to and try not to make a habit of that.
Speaker 8: Marlon saw you.
Speaker 5: I'll leave the field without fifty seconds left. Was there something going on or yeah?
Speaker 11: So usually I I thought it was they get a first down, the game was over, but we actually had another timeout and there was fifty segments, so two more players had to People probably haven't realized that, but I do that when we win. But if they're twenty seconds left, we win. I'm the first one in. I'm a sore loser and a sore winner. So uh but I uh, it would have been kind of awkward. I came back out once I realized in the tunnel that the game is that we called it, had another time out and there's fifty seconds but no, you uh just uh, I'll have to Maybe I'll start waiting til zero on Wednesday and losses until you just just go in because that was you can't have that.
Speaker 6: Well, and you've had some takeaway this year that have swung the momental for you guys.
Speaker 8: Tampa Bay, the Cincinnati games. When you picked that ball off in the end.
Speaker 6: Zone, are you're thinking at that point, this is swinging it, this is where it's gonna turn, and we're gonna take this.
Speaker 11: Not necessarily, I'm just thankful to be able to make a play to help the team and uh this players are really really big if you if you can make them and hopefully it can get the team going. But uh, ultimately it's all about getting a win.
Speaker 2: Justin Tucker in the postgame locker room, that's right.
Speaker 8: And you know, I mean, I'm not gonna I'd like to make it a point not to make the same mistake twice, let alone once. But uh, you know we did. We didn't make that adjustment moving into our next opportunities in the game. Chris said that Chris Wordy said earlier this week, and every kick is until kick. But does this do these misses linger one over another?
Speaker 3: You able to kind of compartmentalize and make every kick its own kick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's part of the challenge of playing this position is you have to go out there and make each kick its own kick, you know, so compartmentalizing. You know what happened on one kick that didn't go through and putting it away so you can go and make the most for your next opportunity. That's a challenge, and that's not necessarily an easy thing to do. You know. I still remember misses that I had twelve years ago, and I, you know, will wake up at night thinking about one that got away. But that's just the nature of playing this position is you have to treat each one like its own kick, you know. So the first two that I missed today, you know, I was still trying to make it a point to do just that, you know, treat each kick for what it's worth. And you know, ultimately just decided to make a slight adjustment moving forward for the remaining opportunities that we would half the rest of the day. I just made it a point, you know, communicated with Nick and Jordan, Hey, I'm gonna pick a target line that's gonna be more right third of the uprights, and we're just gonna, you know, just smash the ball and go from there. So yeah, I leave it at that.
Speaker 12: People in this locker room, as to tell you, you're the most confident guy in this locker room.
Speaker 8: Has that been a battle at all with your confidence this year? When you get so successful over the year. Still like a couple get away. I don't think I don't think it's anything that is unique to just playing in the National Football League, coaching in the National Football League, just competing at this level. You're gonna have ups and you're gonna have downs, and trying to you know, chase as many ups as possible is what we're all after. I mean, ultimately, none of us are happy if we don't win it all in the end. You know, only one team gets to do that. But part of the challenge that every player, every coach, every team faces is remaining confident in the way that I know we remain confident, which I'm still confident. I'm gonna go out there and nail every single kick. Part of the way, part of the reason we stay confident is by continuing to work and uh, trust the process. And I know it sounds like, uh, you know, I might sound like a broken record, but you know it is. I it's it's a it's a part of what brings us success is just trusting the process and then taking it one cake at a time. For the game here yesterday, too, is a surface and issue at all. I wouldn't say the surface was an issue, but it wasn't ideal. Uh. You know, that's something that we make it a point to account for by going out there in pregame warm ups and you know, getting our feet under us, you know, figuring out what the wind may doing. But we've we've dealt with that plenty of times here, uh elsewhere at home, you know, and then throughout the course of the game. Uh, the most action takes place in between the ashes and it naturally just gets chewed up. So uh, it's something that we make it a point to you know, kind of tackle in pregame warm ups and then you know, make whatever minor adjustments if necessary. Uh, you know, with whatever opportunities come to us throughout the game.
Speaker 5: Justin is there anything to that? I think every single one of the misses this year has been wide left? Is there anything to that that? Is there a I know again, I know each kick. Is is there something to that trend that everyone every one of the misses were wide left?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I think that's fair to ask, and I think the short answer is no. Each kick is its own kick. And you know the tendency for the misses this this season for me, have been that they've gone, they've gone wide left, you know. And even when I felt like I've picked the ball clean, I've hit a strong ball. Sometimes the ball will stay straight, sometimes it'll move a little bit, and you know, that's that's part of the challenge of playing outside where you know, we play, where every one of our division opponents plays, is you know, finding how to pick the ball clean and you know, hitting a strong ball with each opportunity. So I think the that's that's the long answer, and the short answer is not really no, I'm just really making every point to go out there and you know, hit each ball strong and hit each ball straight. I guess.
Speaker 2: Hear from outside linebacker O way, not.
Speaker 12: Really, you know, I just like I told him, I just continue to do what I've been doing, trying to be in a little bit more intentional about being physical and then building off that, you know, building the finesse and stuff off that. So it worked today, Like keep going building on that too.
Speaker 8: Just how comp is it to drop a game like this and you know, individually have a great game and defensive played well, How is it to for the team not to be able to get that game?
Speaker 12: It sucks? Man. I feel like whenever I play goods like we lose like graders too, So you know, we just got to put it all together. We can't hang our heads. We were right there too, a little que questionable plays that you know, we gotta fix on our uh you know, our own parts. But we know we're still there. We're not gonna act like the world's ending. We got another big challenge and the Chargers next weekend and it would be good it.
Speaker 8: We'll be straight.
Speaker 13: Some of the gods said, communication is something that took a big step forward. How did you think it for us?
Speaker 12: I mean, yeah, that's been our issue this whole year. Uh, but like I said, I feel like we did a better job this year so or this this past game. But yeah, we gotta work on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Center Tyler Lennardbaums filled with the media.
Speaker 8: Can you tell us what happened on the two point diversion? How was that supposed to play out?
Speaker 9: Might it break down?
Speaker 8: Uh? Just polers got caught up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was just.
Speaker 14: Pat me and pass supposed to get around. Just got caught up. Stuff happens with the play of the games. Just how the dnds playing. It's a tough block for the receiver there, but Yeah.
Speaker 7: Tyler, just in terms of penalties, it's been kind of a recurring theme at this point. What's the frustration level with you guys, and and why do you think it still keeps it cropping out?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's you know, it's something that needs to be cleaned up, needs to be fixed. You know, it's not helping us win ball games, you know when it happens. You know, just that's the biggest thing in winning games, you know, taking care of football, you know, limit the amount of penalties, cause at the end of the day, you know, it's just it's only hurting our drives. You know, it's it's not fun to be you know, first and fifteen, second and ten all the time. You know, just gotta stay ahead of schedule, stay you know, and put ourselves in an advantage uh position, and not helping them out. So stuff that has to be cleaned up, stuff that can't happen, you know, just learn from the tape and we gotta we gotta a great team coming.
Speaker 8: Up in the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Finally tighten Mark Andrews.
Speaker 8: Were they doing anything Mark, you know to make it difficult or was it was it kind of penalties and starting in difficult situations.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that that that kind of sums it up where there's too many things of us, you know, starting starting to kind of behind the eight ball and and and not doing the right things. And it's been kind of week by week, and you know, I think the guys, like I said earlier, is that we.
Speaker 8: Continue to fight.
Speaker 13: We continue to move the ball and put ourselves in good positions and put ourselves right at the at the end of the game to you know, tie the game up, but didn't go that way.
Speaker 8: But we're going to learn from that.
Speaker 5: What's your guy's conference lovee When when you know the most accurate kicker Justin Duckert is he misses a couple in this game was kind of the conference level.
Speaker 13: We got tucks back no matter what. That's a guy that's done it year after year, year after year, and you know, we know that he's going to come through and it is what it is. You know, he's going to find his way, and we just wanted him to stay confident, continue to be him and all those guys so we have his back mark.
Speaker 12: How do you do about trying to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.
Speaker 8: You know, certain situations, whether the penalties, churn overs, you know those types of things that it's playing good football.
Speaker 13: You know, it's like I said, it's it's all all three phases, you know, really, you know, trying not to hurt ourselves and you know we'll look back and see different things. But for us, you know, those kickbacks, you know, hopefully starting on thirty yard line is a good deal.
Speaker 8: And we can't. We can't, we can't.
Speaker 13: Really, we want to do everything we can to to make ourselves, you know, in the best position starting the ball and start in the field.
Speaker 5: And yeah, the more said, he was pretty hyped coming into this game. Could you say any difference in him coming into this.
Speaker 9: Game at all?
Speaker 8: Laser focus, I like he always does week and week out.
Speaker 13: We talk about, you know, number eight being ready to go and being locked in. There's no difference to this game. I think he fought hard. I think everybody fought hard and there was no give up from this team. And you know, for us, again, it's looking in the mirror, understanding what we can do better and being more efficient in all phases.
Speaker 4: You know heard you guys have the defenses back for their ups and downs. It was disappointment when they come through with the game that they had. You guys could with your own games.
Speaker 13: I don't know if I would put it like we couldn't with our own game, you know, I think they we went down and scored and and didn't you know, turn out with that two point. But we still had a chance no matter what. And there was it really boils down to all four quarters, all all the plays you know that leading up to that, and I think that we put ourselves in good positions. We were in the ball, put the ball in the field where it needs to be, and we didn't score enough points and that that's that's everybody.
Speaker 8: I think, last years. Now today, it seems like to your point.
Speaker 4: You guys were able to move the ball before midfield and then kind of after the field started.
Speaker 8: To tighten up a little bit. I mean, it didn't feel that way out there today.
Speaker 13: No, No, I think that we were able to do kind of what we wanted. But it was a tough game.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 13: It was a tough fought game. It's just about executing.
Speaker 1: Head coach John Harbo will hold his normal Monday press conference at two thirty pm from the Underarmer Performance Center.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.