Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: All about that high school drama girl, drama girl, all about them high school queens.
Speaker 3: We'll take you for a ride.
Speaker 2: And our comic girl cheering for the right teams, Drama queens jails, my girl girl fashion, which your tough girl, You could sit with us?
Speaker 1: Girl drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 2: Hey, friends, we're back and we're live. We are here, live together. Robert Hello, Hello, Hello, We're in Wilmington.
Speaker 4: What is special about Wilmington?
Speaker 2: You know what's the most special at Wilmington Checkers.
Speaker 3: No, it's not Checkers food.
Speaker 2: Well, today it is that we are at a wintre Hill convention and we get to see all of our friends as we do every year. It's like a family reunion. But one of my favorite things is being able to see family members that we don't always get to connect with. And for me, one of the people I always seem to miss whenever we come into town is Barry corbyin and we finally got him. He's finally here to talk with us about his life and experience and about One Tree Hill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, welcome Barry.
Speaker 5: Welcome, thank you, thank you for having me, and we're going to have a good time here.
Speaker 2: What was your first job, like professional gig? I feel like maybe you told so for those listeners who don't know, Barry's got this. It's a one man show, really right that you're just talking about the stories of your life and career and he's doing this show. He's testing it out in different markets around the country and you I was at the first one that you ever did in Texas. And I don't remember if you talked about this in particular story like the first job that you ever got, but would you remind me if you did tell it.
Speaker 5: Any very first job that was actually not you know, I used to put on a little plays that I wrote and directed with my brother and sister. They didn't want to do it. They oh no, they were both younger than I am, and uh so I'd put these plays on that and I'd start. I'd charge a penny of peace for anybody to come in to watch, and then pretty ship, before too long, I'm up to a nickel and then I think, well, this is worth a dime, and so I'd charge a dime and then uh, who.
Speaker 4: Are you getting besides.
Speaker 5: Neighborhood kids, my parents, my grandparents, yeah, anybody, any relative. I'd broke them in, make them pay me a dime to do the play. And I'd do it at any time. I mean, it wasn't like I was. I'd have a time to do it. If if I could get a crowd together, you know, like five or six people wouldn't do a play.
Speaker 2: Then you'd have to find actual at some point, you had to find an actual director and producer and people who were going to hire you and say, you know what, you come do our thing.
Speaker 5: Well I did that the Colorado Shakespeare Festival all right in uh in Boulder, Colorado, and it was that was the first time I was in a uh A festival plays that played in in repertory. You know, we do Henry the Fifth one day and King John the next day, and as you like it the next day, and then go in and rep like that. So uh you know, you had to remember what play you were doing, so you put on the right costume to start.
Speaker 2: With, he comes out of his pocket, go out and.
Speaker 5: Do the play. You know. I always managed to to know we were doing troil Is and crested the night and we were doing doing King John and next night and uh it was it was fun, you know. But I was also working on a ranch in the daytime because he weren't taying me enough to live. Really, I was really living on cornmeal and mashed up and fried in the oil.
Speaker 2: Wait this, you're like every young girl's dream man. You worked on a ranch during the day and you did Shakespeare by night.
Speaker 6: That's right, word shirtless sunshine.
Speaker 5: I also also studied, uh ballet. What there was a man there, there was an oil man in love but whose daughter wanted to be a ballerina. He was a very rich guy, and much richer than he had brains. So he went over and scouted around in eastern Europe and found a Lithuanian ballet master by the name of Eugene Banzavisius and hired him to come over and live in Lubbock and open a ballet studio. He was an old man. He'd been a he'd been at ballet dancer when he was younger, and he but he was probably it was not old to me now, but he was probably sixty years old again. And uh, he'd he'd go out and demonstrate things and how you how you how you did you know? And and he couldn't find anybody that lift the girls in the boys because the boys were all slight and they I was working on oil rigs at so I was strong and I could lift the girls, and I could also do these.
Speaker 2: The gesticulations for the listener at home.
Speaker 4: Barry is performing many a graceful, gorgeous.
Speaker 5: Played prayed played the prench in Swan Lake. You did, Oh yeah, I was. I was. I'm real pistol.
Speaker 2: Them off with a stick.
Speaker 4: I was going to you as a young man.
Speaker 6: Sounds like if the c W had a show about like living on a Ranch, you would have been the like hot, heartwarming Lucas Scott.
Speaker 5: I would have been the outcast, even more likable online, I can I can fit in with ranch people. I'm going once in a while I go out to a ranch and help them get the cattle. Yeah, just prove that I can still get on a horse and still.
Speaker 2: Well, you were just on Yellowstone not two years ago.
Speaker 5: Well, I was out to four six in ranch last year. I helped to gather cattle. I said, I might need a little help getting up, but once I get on, I know what I'm doing. Something. I went out there and they shoved me up on a horse and I was horse back for about about six and a half hours. What and we're going out together and cattle bringing the cattle in. Then I worked the cattle and then I got back to the the place where we started and got the cattle pinned and everything. And then I called this cowboy over theng guy about six foot five, and I said, I said, I want you to stand right here, and I'm going to fall off his horse and you catch me. And so that's what I did, and then he caught me.
Speaker 6: You are of the generation where when you say like a jack of all trades, they're actually legitimate trades. Like you are you you have experience and the ability to like actually perform job functions and useful things.
Speaker 4: Whereas like my generation, like I'm a jack of all trades.
Speaker 6: It's like I can hacky sack, I co host a podcast and I play make Believe.
Speaker 5: Well. I used to do almost anything.
Speaker 2: I believe it now.
Speaker 5: Uh. When I turned six, Yeah, I forgot about half of what I ever knew. When I turned seventy, I lost about a quarter more of that. When I turned eighty, I forgot anything. Had to hit my marks and change my lines. I don't even know how to run anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Brett, you are, you're so versatile. How did that? How did that translate into into basketball? When you were asked to come play coach Whitey on one Truth?
Speaker 5: Yes, well apparently, and all those boys saw every old man in California and they couldn't find anybody. It was tough that they were happening, happy with it to be the coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I guess they expanded. Maybe they saw people over in Arizona too, I don't know. But they finally called my manager and said, would Barry Corbin come into town and talk to us about a part in our television show One Tree Hill. And he called me and I said, are they paying the way? He said yeah? And I said they're going to put me in the hotel and give me a rent car? He said yeah. I said, all right, I'll be there. There's that kind of thing that all ate gents have.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 5: It's your line of what I call shaker and bs sure, and I've got that in Spade. I mean, it's something that I learned from New York agents when I was in New York.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say because that's not that doesn't feel like a vibe that would be on a ranch a lot. It seems like a New York you gotta yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I sat in and uh and just bluffed talk to them. I never mentioned I've never seen a basketball game. Yes, I know you mentioned that. I knew nothing about basketball except your bounce this ball around and trying to get it over here and try to get into it. I don't, but I never cared anything about that.
Speaker 6: Which is so funny about that is that you did the opposite of what most actors do.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: There's the thing actors do when they're like up for a job, like especially commercial acting. I'll be like, great, we're only gonna audition you if you can ride a horse, and every actor goes, I can ride a horse.
Speaker 5: That's the last thing that you ought to say. Yeah, what what you ought to say? And what Ben Johnson always said. Ben Johnson was the best horseman in the movies. He see, yeah, I ride a little bit. Yeah, and that's what you that's what you need to say. Now, I've got a story about a guy who who.
Speaker 6: It was your wife just shook her head in the background, which makes me think this is going to be a good thing.
Speaker 5: It is. It is a good story. She doesn't know this story really, but this was a fellow that was that he told him he could ride. And I was playing the bad guy in this thing, in this Magnificent seven. It was it was not it was not the movie. It was a television cheeri and I was playing the bad guy in this episode. And I had a There was one scene where we're chasing a wagon and me and my gang and my accomplished the head of my uh you know, my operation. I was running a body house. Uh but it was like a traveling body house, a bunch of tents and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, just clarifying.
Speaker 5: And I was being made to the girls and all that, okay, But they were trying to trying to rescue the girls from men. They had them all in this wagon. So I got my gang together and I'm out and we're out horseback. We got to come off a hill and run down this hill and run beside the wagon. The camera car on the other side of the wagon. They're shooting across the driver on onto us chasing the wagon and uh, my uh head henchman has said he could ride, and uh, I watched him walk up to the horse and that wasn't going to work. And uh, I said, you know, he might really ought to be doubled in this scene. And he said, what do you mean. I said, well, we're going to come off this hill and I'm going to have to be riding pretty fast catch this wagon because he's running pretty fast and we're pretty far behind, so I'm going to have to really give him a little little nudge.
Speaker 2: And you know your horse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm not sure that you want to do that and he said, oh no, no, it'll be it'll be fine, and it'll be good. All right. We'll stay behind me, don't get in front of me because I can't help you if you're in front of me. And the okay, so here we come. We did did a half half speed rehearsal. You know, you come off kind of just a little little past trot, a little lope down the hill. That's okay. He did fine. I said, okay, now this is going to be a picture here and I'm gonna I'm gonna kind of put the steel to him, so be ready, I said, okay, I said, now remember what they told you. You want to you want to hold the reins in your left hand and you hold them the tail of the reins because you're gonna have to do something with your other hand with and your in your right hand, and you just kind of pretend to be whipping your horse. Don't do it, but just kind of pretend to do it, just to give you something to do. Well, I knew that wasn't gonna work. But what happened was I I got to gave my horse spur and he jumped off, and he started running down that hill you know, pretty fast.
Speaker 2: Especially to horses going downhill, And I.
Speaker 5: Said, stay stayed behind me. Well, all of a sudden, I heard this thundering noise coming up to my right wagons to my left. I kind of glanced over there, and this guy is sitting up there and he's got shaddle horn like that with both hands. Oh, rains are flopping side. That horse is run away. He's got his head stuck out in front of him, and he was we're in seeing me valley. I thought he was going to be in Los Angeles downtown before I could catch him. I mean, he was going, but he was on flat out run away.
Speaker 2: Sure. He had a terrified expression on his face.
Speaker 4: Oh oh.
Speaker 5: His eyes were bugging out of his head, and he.
Speaker 6: Scario, Yeah, scream of the school does not make for the best henchman.
Speaker 5: They said, cut. And then now I saw. I saw two wranglers down there behind two trees, and he was going right between those trees, and they came out and stopped his horse. My gosh, But I told him then, I said, you know, anytime you have to ride pasted a walk, get a double.
Speaker 4: Get a double.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't need a double, as coach White, even though you knew nothing about basketball.
Speaker 5: But what I did this was this was the middle of March madness when they when I went and talked to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I.
Speaker 5: Came home and went to my favorite bar, sat there drinking beer and watching basketball. But I wasn't watching the players. I was watching the coaches. Yeah, and they all looked like they had their cholesterol sticking out of their ears, and they were screaming and carrying on hollering. I thought, well, nobody can live past thirty five if they're going to be act that way all the time. So I decided, well, this coach is going to be kind of like Yoda off the court, but on the court, he's going to be absolutely the most terrible person in the world. And so that's what I did. Wow when I got here, when I got here, when I first got here, Yeah, the coach that actually put the play together, and I forgot his name now, but anyway, he did the one with Gene Hackman Hoosiers and well, yeah, but he said, do you want to come and watch us run some plays in the morning? And I said no, And he said, well, if you don't watch us run plays, you're not going to know what's happening. I said, I can watch you run plays from now Christmas and I still don't want to know. But I don't have to know what's happening. All I've got to know is is how to look like I know what's happening. Yeah, because I've played jet pilots, I've played brain surgeons. I've planned all kinds of things. But you wouldn't want to get on the plane that I'm piloting. You wouldn't want to let me do brain surgery on you. You wouldn't want me to do anything. You wouldn't want me to fix your plumbing. But I'm not you know, I do know how to look like I can do anything. Yeah, and he's okay.
Speaker 2: So that's a secret. You just got to set.
Speaker 3: And you got it.
Speaker 5: You gotta look like you know, you know, pilot. You've got to know which switches to switch first, and you gotta know yeah, old old stuff work, and then it's it's easy.
Speaker 4: Get this gang.
Speaker 6: Ray, the founder of Friends with Benefits, the convention company that runs these amazing events that we are currently at, has been working on and designed a one Tree Hill themed Airbnb set and where else but Wilmington, North Carolina and get this gang. It is available for booking now on the Airbnb app.
Speaker 2: This is such a cool idea. I remember us talking about this a while ago and we never actually followed through that. I'm so glad somebody else did.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: The FWBT team, led by Ray, Brittany and Wanita, along with a ton of help from volunteers, are officially turning Trick back into the actual trick, like the nightclub in the show. For more updates about that and other events, follow f WB on Instagram at f w B Charity Events. Had you filmed anything in Wilmington before, Yes, because I know there was a lot of things happening in this town, especially Yeah.
Speaker 5: I did a movie of the Week with them with Dane Lad not not dyinge Cheryl led Cheryl Ladd Yeah, and I was I was going to kill her. I was killer.
Speaker 2: So was this a show then one of the really great like good guy roles that you'd gotten, because it sounds like maybe you were cast a lot as the villain or.
Speaker 5: The mostly not not bad guy. I'm not really good bad guy because I can I don't look really look like I'm cruel.
Speaker 6: And if I can jump in here, you you have played two of my favorite good guy historical figures, Lyndon Johnson and Santa Claus.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My question is which one did you feel more pressure to get right?
Speaker 5: Uh? Well, I knew that it didn't look like Lyndon Johnson, and I knew I was I got alopecia, so I don't have any hair, So I knew I didn't want to wear a wig, so I just wore the hat all the time. And I knew I didn't want to put on a big nose hanging down over my mouth, you know, And I mean that really disrupted my lunch real bad. Yeah, So, uh, I just I just kind of played I kind of got his voice, you know, but I didn't didn't look like him. But this was a fictional thing anyway. It was it was about if if Kennedy had had not been assassinated, and uh so that was that was that, and the Santa Claus thing, that was well, I did play play a man playing like he was Santa Claus one time. I was in Christmas and the smokey I put on a little Santa Claus beard hung over my ears and stuff. But the Shanta Claus thing was a cartoon, so I could just.
Speaker 4: It's like he's in the rocket.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I was just six years old all over again. That's fantastic, that's great.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: So obviously you had been working steadily for so long when One Tree Hill came along, and then you were on this show with all of these relatively green actors and the show becomes a hit. What was it like for you, because this wasn't your first go around, But what was it like watching these very fresh young actors and getting thrown into this big, successful show.
Speaker 5: Well, I knew there were gonna be some mistakes made, and I knew that I couldn't I could not warn anybody about those mistakes, so I just I pretty much acted like the coach with the cash.
Speaker 2: You know you're talking about like just on set mistakes of like within filmmaking or what kind of mistakes you're talking about, And why did you feel like you.
Speaker 5: Were Well, I knew that they they were to it. When you're doing your first television show, you're nervous. Yeah, and uh, in order to make you not be nervous, it's for me not to be nervous. Yeah, And uh so what what I would do? I just I just kind of, uh make a little hint of it by Yeah, unless somebody just came and asked.
Speaker 2: Me something I wish i'd asked you for more.
Speaker 5: Chad did a few times.
Speaker 2: That's great, and uh.
Speaker 5: Uh I think I helped him. I don't know whether I did or not.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you did. So let's talk about Wilmington real quick, because you know you had been here once before to film. Then you came to to Wilmington and lived here in between here and Texas for the ten years that well, I guess how many seasons did you do with us?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 6: Six?
Speaker 2: Only three?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that blows my mind. Berry. You just are such an integral part of this show. I imagine you with us for so much longer.
Speaker 6: It's also because we saw Whitey in an episode in season six.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true.
Speaker 6: I guess before we get in to the Wilming time at all, I wanted to ask when you signed on to the show, what was sort of the expectation. Where did they tell you were going to be around for a long time? Was the idea that it was sort of a smaller arc?
Speaker 3: What was No?
Speaker 5: I was a regular in the show in the first three seasons.
Speaker 3: And that was the expectation.
Speaker 4: They let you know, Okay, oh yeah, that's so great.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I mean if they if they don't have you as a recurring character, they can't expect you to drop all your other vision issues. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when you were living here then, did you go find a ranch nearby, some sort of local place you could go ride horses? Did you miss it? What did you do? What was your first like to play?
Speaker 5: And sometimes I'd drive them the carriage, you know, those big old perch from the horses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to go as one does on the drive for the guy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 5: They just let you right on. Once in a while, i'd see a cop wearing riding one of those Australian saddles, and I say, letting me, let me try that saddle and get up on his horse and ride up and down Front Street.
Speaker 6: Could you imagine just walking up to a car park, like a cop car in a parking.
Speaker 4: Lot, being like, hey, let me get in that explore.
Speaker 2: It one of those let me see how that rides.
Speaker 5: You know, I'd find places to ride and do stuff.
Speaker 6: Imagine if you didn't return the police horse and that cop has to go back to the station and they're like.
Speaker 4: How how did you lose your horse?
Speaker 6: And the cops like he just had a beautiful western mustache, and he asked really politely, exactly you were here full time for three seasons. Where did you end up living in Wilmington whereabouts?
Speaker 5: I was at the at the little condos over there, right across from the battleship.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it's so nice.
Speaker 5: I'd go out and shut on the balcony and look at the battleship and wave with the sailers and stuff.
Speaker 6: And when you come back for conventions or anything else, do you have any sort of favorite go to spots or places you like?
Speaker 5: Oh, they're all going now, oh, Charlie Brown. Charlie Brown place I used to like to go.
Speaker 2: It's changed a lot here.
Speaker 5: I'd go in there and play trivia and bade him. I remember when I think I was in my sixties when I was playing Whitey.
Speaker 4: That was before you had lost fifty percent of everything, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so this was a good time for you.
Speaker 5: One of the bartenders, uh, shed shed do me? Uh you want another one? Pop? And I should What do you want another one? Pop? And I climbed over the bar cha chased them back into low be you did? And then I grabbed me and scrubbed his head real good.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like the you know, it was such an age difference on our show. It's one of the I think one of the things that was made the show great too, is that there were really legitimate adult storylines and then legitimate young young people's storylines that we were in a you know, the big the age gap between us and the generational gaps. I think actually really helped because it drew in a whole bunch of different audiences. But on set, you're working so closely with these boys that are so much younger than you, And of course when we're in our early twenties and late teens. There's a in general and American culture anyway. I think there's a general sense of like disconnect and not knowing how to ask for advice or wanting to, you know, looking at someone who's so much older and being like, well, you're not interesting to me. That's what you're boring because I'm all about my young, exciting life, not realizing how much wisdom, how much you mean, great stories, how interesting. I don't case that relationship between you and the boys on the team that you.
Speaker 5: Were was, was on the whole good?
Speaker 2: You know, did they ask did you guys get time to spend together where you got to tell them stories and they would engage with you, or was it like once.
Speaker 5: In a while but rarely because I you know, I had my own group of people, not a bunch of old drunks. You know.
Speaker 2: So you found your people. You got to Wilmington and you found your crew.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're gonna have infinitely better stories than a bunch of eighteen year old Oh absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: I did to go down to the Barbary coast once in a while. No, oh yeah, dateman, Old Steve Mashini got stabbed in there.
Speaker 2: My god, that's right. I forgot that happened in Wilmington. I always forget that's happened here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wondered because I always look back on that time and wish that I had had the wherewithal to ask for to ask like Moira and Barbara and you, and just to ask you about your advice and your life story and just take advantage of that mentorship opportunity. But I didn't know how at that age. I know it's sure of any of.
Speaker 5: The boys in basketball, but you were also going through a whole bunch of things you tell. Yeah, that's true, which I wasn't aware of until I listened to your book on a road trip experience. And I want to tell anybody who's listening to this thing, if you have not read George's book, don't read it. Get the recorded version, listen to it on a road trip, or just turn it on and listen to it at home, because you're mission half of it. If you're just reading it yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 5: It's a wonderful it's wonderful writing, and you read it so beautifully.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 5: I've heard, I've heard a lot of actors reading their own books. Yeah, and they and they shine like they're reading some kind of commercial. Oh.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Yeah, it felt good to read that. Just get it out of my body.
Speaker 5: And you did. You did a wonderful job. And it's it's also a wonderful lesson for for young women particularly. Yeah, and it Oh you you you bring your tears out. You're good.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Perry. I really appreciate you reading it. Thanks.
Speaker 5: Well, you're wonderful, Thank you, thank you. I wish we'd got no each other better when when I was here.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 2: It's hard. It's hard when you're for me. I was so young, you know, we hard.
Speaker 5: I mean, not only change we had was Ashamba stuff.
Speaker 2: There was a couple I think in your office when I was I don't know if it was when I was a student or a teacher. I think it was when I was a student, I guess, and you called me. You would have called me in to give me advice, and you know, i've and I did always really enjoy those those scenes. But yeah, I'm that's one of the beautiful things about doing these conventions and having time to come back to Wilmington and continue to see each other. And now that I'm in touch with your grandson Jordan, who's just such a lovely, wonderful person. I get to spend time more with you. I'm so grateful that through the years we were still in touch and the relationship is more meaningful now that we're more older.
Speaker 5: Well and why yeah, yeah, well I don't know that I'm any wiser. I think maybe wisdom starts leaking out when you get to be about ad.
Speaker 3: That's part of that last quarter ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I told I told Chad today, I said, well, when you get to be eighty four, you're not feeble. I'll let you know about eighty five.
Speaker 2: When you look at your life right now, you've done so much, You've accomplished so many things you're still moving forward to. They said, you've got this show that you're going around telling your stories. What are things that are still on your bucket list? Like what's on the Berry bucket list?
Speaker 5: We just keep working as long as I can. I mean, that's a I don't have any particular You're.
Speaker 2: Not desperate to go up in a hot air balloon or jump out of a plane.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I've been up in the hot air balloon and I have jumped out of planes one anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hey, when you do these conventions, is there a particular scene or quote that the fans want to talk to you about?
Speaker 5: There was one woman came in and she had a uh, one of these like a like an undershirt, you know, strapped thing. She pulled off her jacket and she pointed she had tattoo up and down her arms of quote on both arms, and she said, do you remember saying this? I looked at him, no, and she said, well, you did an episode showing should Oh oh yeah, No I didn't say that. Lydie Durham said that, oh right, yes, And then I looked and all those things were things that why did Durham and said.
Speaker 2: You were like a mentor to her through the TV. Yeah, she's kind of sweet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know that that was that kind of took me back a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 6: When you think about it, you know, it's been like over six decades that you've been working. Is there i mean the whole like your favorite job thing.
Speaker 3: It's such a.
Speaker 6: Tricky question, but is there is there a job that just was it like an especially joyful or special experience?
Speaker 5: Well, there was there was one particular series that I did that it was probably probably the most joy and ultimately the most depressing northern exposure.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, that's right.
Speaker 2: Berry and Dad had that show on all the time.
Speaker 5: Same. Yes, it was a fun show to do for the first three seasons, first, well three and a half seasons, and then they changed producers. They brought in a producer who didn't like the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, smart business choice.
Speaker 5: And he said, well, it was a deliberate oh and he said when they after the show was canceled, he said, one never liked the show anyway, it's too precious and so you know that. But anyhow, there was a lawsuit between the guy that broke your genal script and and Universal and CBS and the producers and writers and everybody a mass And I didn't know anything about it because we were shooting the show in Washington. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where were you guys? Where did you shoot that?
Speaker 5: Outside Seattle?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: It was supposed to be Alaska?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, man, we couldn't shoot in Alaska because we were shooting in the wintertime. You know, it's all dark all the time. So we shot in Seattle, where you got maybe eight hours of light, you know.
Speaker 2: But what was so joyful about that experience?
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 5: It was just so much, so much fun to explore the character and the and the town and all the you know, all the all the ramifications of it. Yeah, and all the people, you know, and how we changed throughout the pross this. And then they brought in this guy who didn't like it and started messing with it. The scripts started getting I mean they were not undecipherable. You couldn't figure out what the hell anybody was doing. One year we were nominated for the Best Ensemble Cast in Television for the SAG Awards. Yeah, And he sent a directive up to the set up in Washington, Washington said, none of the actors are allowed to speak during the during the Screen Actors Guild Awards. The producers will accept the.
Speaker 3: Award because that's who the audience wants to see.
Speaker 5: And I was the only one nominated for an Emmy the last in the last season.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And they said you can't go, and I said, gosh, I said, oh I can't. And he said no, you'll be working on Monday. You'll be working early Monday, so you can't go. And I said, well, I'll tell you what that is going to look awful good on this on the tabloid that the producers have told Nominee that he cannot be at the awards. He said, what do you mean. I mean I have a publishist too, and he said uh. He he hung up, and then he called back letter and said, you can go. So we don't have it in the budget for limousine or hotel or.
Speaker 3: Flat down over here.
Speaker 5: Huh. I said, well, I'll tell you what I I'll I'll fly down there on the last Carolines and I'll stay in Motel six or whatever, the cheapest one I can find, and I'll take the cheapest transport I can find to the Emmy. And he said what does that mean? I said, well, you'll find out. So I called a friend of mine who'd been the wrangler. No no, I called the wrangler up. Jimmy Madeiras and I said, Jimmy, uh, have you got a couple of matching horses that kind of flashy looking and uh maybe uh one I'm absolutely bomb proof, the other one needs to be used to crowd.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 5: He said, what are you going to do? I said, I'm me and my daughter are going to ride into the Emmy.
Speaker 3: Tell me you did this.
Speaker 5: So I told Jimmy that I had to have a uh two good one of them one of them can't be can't be wild in anyway. The other one I don't care. But uh we we need also need to pass our license to ride our horses in Pasadena on that Sunday and he said, what are you going to do? I said, we're going to ride the horse back into the image and he said, oh well, I said, how much is it going to cost me? And he said, not a damn thing. I want to see you do it. And so they arranged for it. And at the last minute they arranged me to have a flight first class down to and the hotel room and the uh and the limo. Well that was good because I didn't know what I was going to do with the horses when I got.
Speaker 3: To the car, the red carpet, imagine that.
Speaker 5: And so I put the wranglers in the limo. That's great, and they followed us in.
Speaker 2: So you did this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Shannon rode in with me.
Speaker 2: Please tell me there are photographs of this?
Speaker 5: Well we got was all over the news that day, but then then it completely disappeared. It did there there's they did an interview with me. Why well, they didn't. They didn't want to. They didn't want any publishity.
Speaker 2: Som yeah, I get it.
Speaker 5: They wanted to cancel the show. They didn't want to publish they so they so my my horse took a dump on them on the carpet.
Speaker 3: Couldn't write it any better, and uh.
Speaker 5: And and the wrangler jumped out of the limo and ran off with the horses. And we walked up people cheering, laughing and waving to them. You know, Shannon was slinking up the side trying to keep out of out of sight because she thought I was crazy. And so I got up to Army Archard at the at the standing there where he's interviewing celebrity arrivals, and he said, well, you picked an interesting way to come into the immies. Is there a story behind that?
Speaker 2: And your producer held his brad and I.
Speaker 5: Said, well, yeah, apparently there wasn't there. They're not making enough money selling coffee cups and sweatshirts and one thing and another to be able to cover my expenses down here. So I took the cheapest transport I could find, I said, CBS and Universe leand there somewhere. So I hadn't worked for Universal or CBS.
Speaker 2: You know what the world is not you isn't a better place for it, and you are not hurting for work. You've continue to ges. I mean, your career has been amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, I can't think of a better story to go out on and taking a dump the horse, not on the red.
Speaker 2: Carpet, on the red carpet. Well, before we wrap up, Barry, is there anything you want to say to the One Tree Hill fans that you know have been a part of this experience with us and with you.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would like to say to the old One Tree Hill fan thank you for your loyalty. When I first did this show, I thought, well, this is is going to be disposable because it's a number one. That's your teenage drama, right, I've been through high school. I don't want to go through that angst anymore, and so I thought this is not a good idea. But I did it, and I'm glad I did and it was a wonderful experience, the whole thing, and I've made some beautiful lifelong friends here. So thank you for all your loyalty, and stay loyal. Bring bring in your grandchildren, get them, get them to watching it. I've got We've We've got people here, mothers and daughters who were grown people now and the main thing it brings them together is reruns of One Tree. Hell yeah, and thank you, thank you, Erry.
Speaker 6: This is the longest we've ever got to sit and check, but I can do it for a lot longer. You are a delight to speak to and your stories are tremendous.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Is there any place people can follow along with the next things that you have going on? Do you have a website or.
Speaker 5: Instagram Www dot Barrycorbin dot com. Great, and go to the event when you get when you get a picture may shutting on a horse, go to right, Just go go to the advent and you'll see where I'm I'm I'm bearing so fantastic.
Speaker 3: Www dot Barrycorbin dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks Berry, Thanks Berry, Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's o.
Speaker 2: T H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: See you next time.
Speaker 1: We all about that High school Drama Girl, Drama Girl, all about them High School Queens Forever will take you for a ride and our comic girl.
Speaker 2: Cheering for the right teams. Drama queens duise my girl of girl Fashion.
Speaker 4: What's your tough girl?
Speaker 1: You could sit with us, Girl Drama, Queens, Drama, Queens, Drama, Queens, Drama, Drama, Queens, Drama Queens