Speaker 1: On this Wednesday, August's first Team USA is waking up in Paris, still leading in the overall Olympic medal count.
Speaker 2: The United States has now won thirty medals so far, but home team France is close behind with twenty six medals, followed by China with nineteen.
Speaker 1: However, there are at least six countries with more gold medals than the US. Right now, welcome everybody to this tea from Paris edition of Amy and TJ. Again, we're not married to that name Peter Perry, but in this episode an edge of your Seat Men's all Around final where the gold medal was decided on the very last routine of the night.
Speaker 2: It was a nail bier. Plus Katie Ladecci's only competition in the pool yesterday was well, Katie Ladecci lebron. Katie and crew win, but there is a reason to root for their opponent. US women advance in soccer, and it is now official Cocoa Golf will be leaving Paris without an Olympic medal.
Speaker 1: Well, so how was your swim in the river sin? When athletes responds to that question, I'm definitely going to be using the bathroom later. We'll explain. That's what an American tennis player quits her match because of extreme heat and then things got heated with her opponent.
Speaker 2: And Simone and Sunny are competing today for the most coveted title at the Olympics. This is the event that everyone looks forward to every Summer Olympics, and that's exciting. But there is also another event that you've been very excited about that you already watched this morning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I set my alarm to watch racewalking this morning. It's just one of those things you never get to see. Chris Paul did it in that State Farm commercial. But other than that, I haven't seen racewalking in four years, since the last Olympics. For all three years, I guess Tokyo. But it is the best. It's fascinating to watch. Twenty twenty K so they have to go as about too.
Speaker 2: Is that almost a half marathon?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelvee a half miles two point four to big exact. But it's it's one of those things you never get to see, and people even call it weird.
Speaker 2: It's funny. It's just female what they have to do. I'm not knocking the athleticism, but It is funny to watch, especially if you're a runner, even perhaps to see people, because you can't lift your feet off the ground.
Speaker 1: So it's the technical rule there racewalking. What is it? You cannot both feet cannot be off the ground at the same time. Of course, if you're running and you think about it, yes, of course you come off the ground both feet. That's one of the rules. Also, your front leg, the knee has to stay. Can't be bent. What front leg?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's why it's so funny when.
Speaker 1: You start, I said, oh, that makes sense, now, why you haven't do that? And you do get a violation if you get three, it's a two minute penalty and you have to So they're watching you very very closely. But do you remember what I say? Twelve point four miles a half marathon.
Speaker 2: Is was thirteen point one?
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell folks, how how long does it take us to run a half? We've done soveral, which is generally how long does it take?
Speaker 2: Well, so my best ever is one hour and fifty four minutes to run a half marathon.
Speaker 1: An hour and fifty four minutes. Again, that's thirteen miles versus they're doing twelve point four the young lady I watch today, Wing Gold in race walking did it in an hour and twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. That is that's perspective, right.
Speaker 1: There's perspective, folks. They are walking faster than anybody watching can run a mile.
Speaker 2: Wow, run a mile? You mean? Oh, you're saying they walk faster than we can run. They walk a mile.
Speaker 1: Faster than you can run a mile.
Speaker 2: Our pace, what I mean, A good pace for me is eight forty five to have it be long distance, and eight forty five is a good pace.
Speaker 1: The men in race walking are doing under seven minute miles.
Speaker 2: And I have never don run any race that quickly. I could run a mile like that or maybe two, but I could not do more than that.
Speaker 1: It is one of my It's impressive. So that happened today. You still get a chance if you listen to our voys that they are having some replays. You will be able to catch it on USA today if you get up early enough. But that is a blast. You missed that this morning. We're fencing up on the TV right now. There was some some table tennis action this morning, So.
Speaker 2: You set your alarm once again for three forty five. I got up at five, So I missed all of that. But maybe I can rewatch some stuff. But you know what, I would even rewatch, but we watched yesterday.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see that again.
Speaker 2: It was amazing the men's all around final. There were some gutting moments. There were some exhilarating moments for all of the men competing, but for the two US men, it was tough. You know, we planned our entire day around watching this competition. We were preparing lunch, so we had the TV and the kitchen going on, and the TV in the living room going on. But right when the event started, we were still getting lunch ready, and before we could even get our food on the plate, we just ah, it was disaster for one of our favorite American gymnasts.
Speaker 1: And we all, look, it's one thing we're always rooting for the American athletes, but this is one Why did this feel so personal? I felt? When we're talking about Frederick Richard, superstar, viral star as well social media star, but he was the guy going into this that everybody thought had a real chance for the all around. His first event was the pommel horse. His very first event robes was this even a quarter of a way into his event, he fell on the palmer.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was within the first thirty seconds, right, And I have honestly right now. You know, I always get chills, but I have chills right now because I'm reliving it in my head, you know. And you even hear the commentators talk about what a good guy this kid is, and he is a kid. He's twenty years old, but you were rooting for him, and then his hand just slipped, and you know, they put the chalk on their hands for grip, but also can cause some slippage because it's slippery, as you might imagine, and it just for whatever reason is probably just nerves and all of the things that go into being up on the pommel horse. And everyone talks about that being a really tough event, and once he slipped and fell, it was nearly impossible for him to catch up.
Speaker 1: You talk about this first event, you were talking less than an inch of it. If his hand had been maybe to the left, just a half an inch, he would have stayed on the pommel horse. And that is why this sport is so devastating, and just that one little thing at the beginning, and his day was essentially over and we screamed in the kitchen. We like it hurt us so back. Can't imagine what he was going through. But this is how you get into these guys, these girls, and these stories and the Olympics, and it just it pains you to see it sometime. But he had a tough one and so does a teammate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and anyone who has ever watched or been a part of the gymnastics sport, it is always about perfection and that's what makes it so tough because if you are less than perfect and these points, these scores come down to just fractions, and so yes, one misstep, especially a fall, but even a babble can cost you a medal. And that's what happened to Paul Judah. He had his own issues. He had a really bad stumble on his landing on the vault and he nearly went off the mat. And again we just went, oh no. So you know, Judah and Richard, we should mention finished fourteenth and fifteenth. That is respectable, but not certainly what they had hoped for. They were both, or especially one of them, hoping for a medal. But other than that, the event was thrilling. If you didn't have a country you were specifically rooting for. Just watching this year, level of talent was remarkable. It was you couldn't even believe what these men were pulling off and the precision with which they were doing it. The gymnasts from Japan and China and Ukraine and Great Britain, they were showstoppers, and up until the very end they were in the mix to get a medal, and you didn't know who was gonna get what.
Speaker 1: But this is one of those things where if you watch any other sport, if it's two outs, bottom of the ninth type of situation and the team is down by one, if there's I don't know, two seconds left on the clock and Tom Brady just drove his team down to the forty five yard line. Now the kicker had to come out and make a kick to win the Super Bowl. This is what happened in gymnastics yesterday in a way that I haven't quite seen it myself. But China's Jong Bohong, he is a stud in this sport. Now he had the high bar. He's the last competitor go on the last apparatus. So this is the ultimate Olympic and sporting moment, last man to go, last rotation. All you have to do to get a gold medal is this, get a score of at least fourteen point eight six six to do.
Speaker 2: That's funny. All that is a really hard score.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of but a lot of athletes will tell you. You tell me what my target is. You tell me, you tell me. Any any one of those Olympians yesterday would have said, hey, would you take this scenario that you need a fourteen point eight sixty six, It's in your control. They would take that. So he needed a fourteen point eight sixty six. He got a fourteen point six three three and had to settle for silver.
Speaker 2: I mean, he still seemed pretty happy, but of course everyone wants the gold, especially at that level. But the man who got it, Japan's shinoska Oka, got the gold, and he certainly deserved it. It was remarkable to watch him do what he did on all six of those events. He was almost nearly perfect. But this was a big win for Japan in general because this is the fourth straight Olympic title for Japanese men, and it's always a big rivalry between Japan and China. I loved watching when Japan got gold and China got silver, and that's exactly what happened in the all around as well, but the team finals. But I loved watching the camaraderie between the two. They were congratulating each other, and that's something that you appreciate, and with all the discord we have, that's one of the things we love about the Olympics is to see countries competing and then congratulating one another, supporting one another, even cheering one another on. That's the beauty of the Olympics because.
Speaker 1: They understand the sacrifice the way nobody else can what it takes to do that. So now all we have left, we have one day of men's gymnastics left, I guess, and that's when they go for the individual medals on the individual on the individual disciplines. So I get to hear my boy justin Spring one more time, the commentator that I absolutely love. I cannot give this guy enough credit for how he guides us all kind of through what we're seeing and he I just love the guy. But the only chance to see an American male is the pommel horse specialist now who became, I guess, a viral glasses wearing sensation Stephen Netta Rozzik who brought it home on the pommel horse for Team USA to win that bronze, he'll go for an individual medal on pommel horse. What is that? I think it might be tomorrow, my Friday or Saturday.
Speaker 2: I think it's this weekend, but we can double check, but not today.
Speaker 1: At least we'll give you the update, don't. We don't want to if you look it up.
Speaker 2: But something to look forward to, for sure. Gosh, Katie Ledecki is always someone to look forward to, and she has joined a group of very distinguished American women with her win yesterday in the fifteen hundred freestyle. She now has twelve career Olympic medals and that ties her with three other American women for the most swimming medals of all times, Natalie Coughlan, Jenny Thompson and Dearren Torres. Correct, and those are the greats. But my daughters had been away. They came back yesterday afternoon, right when Katie was swimming the fifteen hundred, and I had to stop, you know, Ava, she loves to talk in the middle of Okay, I love you, Ave, but I have to watch this. And we were just jaws dropped. You had told me, like, when she does this, she's so far ahead. She was ten seconds r ten seconds ahead of her nearest competitor, and in swimming it's usually like one one hundredth of a second, So to be ten seconds ahead and to just watch her every race, it was the most one of the most incredible things I have ever watched. To see her be that much more elite in this particular event than any other person in the world, it's it was. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh, you should see her in like the trials or smaller events than she laps people in the pool. So this event is actually the longest swimming event out there, the fifteen hundred. She has the twenty fastest times ever in the history of the event.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: The twenty fast times anybody has ever done this event all belong to Katie Ladecki. Look, all you can argue all of these Olympians are great athletes. You can argue, hell, the linebackers at the University of Georgia are great athletes.
Speaker 2: I think you could argue that for Katie.
Speaker 1: Ldeki though, is a great, She's an all time great. She still separates herself in an event like this. She is keep watch. She says she's going to do twenty twenty eight. But you just we need to marvel every time she swims. You need to stop what you're doing, you know.
Speaker 2: And speaking of that, it's just to get some perspective here. She her first Olympics was back in twenty twelve in London. She was one of the youngest women on the team. She was just fifteen years old. And now she is among the oldest swimmers at twenty seven. And look at what she is doing and to say she's coming back potentially again is pretty remarkable. I love seeing older athletes just continue, not just continue their level of athleticism, but bring it up and keep getting better. That is remarkable. And you know what, I also loved watching her at the end because this was uncharacteristic of her. She got emotional. She pounded the pool's surface with her right arm once she finished, and then when she walked out of the pool, she pumped her fist and raised both arms in the air, and well she should, but it was awesome to see her celebrate the moment and take it in because that's something sometimes athletes don't get to do.
Speaker 1: She does have two more events this week, one of them today actually the four by two, which I think American women certainly are favored to get a medal in that one. But perspective here, this is how many events, how many times i've Michael Phelps is somebody I used to work in California in the Bay Area when he before he even started his Olympic career, used to cover him a little bit, and then followed him and covered him in Rio, and we talked about how great he is now. And we talk about Katie le Deckey has twelve medals. This dude's got twenty eight. He has more actually gold medals than anyone just has medals in the Olympics. This is some perspective about all of the greatness and how he still stands well ahead of anybody in this But she is going to become, I think if she gets two medals, the most decorated behind Phelps in terms of all time medals men or women.
Speaker 2: Well, right now, with those other women we just mentioned her twelve medals, she's tied for the second most medals of any US Olympic athlete, male or female. But yes, Michael Phelps is leaps and bounds ahead but she'll be right behind him.
Speaker 1: But she's I think Jenny Thompson has eight goals the deck. He has eight goals, but I think Brian Lockey has twelve. Isn't that crazy? Ryan Locke wow has I think he has twelve medals, but he doesn't have as many the gold count. But all these names, they come become household names, right and we know these guys remember them because of these moments they have. So please catch her today if you can. We did catch the US USA men's basketball team. They had a rematch with upstart South Sudan yesterday. Now it was an exhibition game last month that the US team, of course has all these NBA champions, MVP's future Hall of famers. They actually had to come from behind in that exhibition last month, and it took a bucket by Lebron with seconds to go to beat South Sudan by one point.
Speaker 2: So you were looking for a tight match.
Speaker 1: I was looking for a competitive fun maybe to get pushed, certainly after what we saw a month ago. They only beat this South Sudan is brand new team by a point, being by seventeen yesterday, and it probably wasn't even that close. But the US is going to advance with the quarterfinals that now start next week with South Sudan. It's been one of those fun stories that some darlings, if you will. They won their first ever Olympic game with this new team of scrappy guys from South Sudan, so it's their fun.
Speaker 2: To watch and it's cool to see what will happen next because US Team USA plays Puerto Rico next. But for some just an interesting point, South Sudan beat Puerto Rico, so it looks pretty good for Team USA three. But now yeah, of course, but just for in terms of beating Puerto Rico. But now South Sudan has to play Servia, so we'll see. They're not out yet, so we'll see what happens with that, but we're rooting for them as well, right behind Team USA. Speaking of Team USA and who we're rooting for, the US women, the soccer team, they won their group by beating Australia yesterday two to one. They're gonna move on to the quarterfinals. They will play Japan on Saturday. They are one of three teams women's teams to win all three of their group play. So Spain has won all of their games. Canada has won all of their games, and we will see this is going to be a tight match going forward.
Speaker 1: All we put together like a rundown for this. Every day we do an episode about the Olympics and collection of these stories and we kind of write some stuff out. The shortest write up we have today is about the US women's soccer team, because it seems like there's no detail. Yeah, they won one big moving on, it seems like we're not.
Speaker 2: I tried to find that a little fun fact to add something to it. But yes, we're killing it. We're doing great well.
Speaker 1: Unforus of a Coco. Her Olympics is over. She won't be coming home with a medal. She lost her singles match earlier this week. We told you about that. She still had two other chances to get a medal, in doubles and in mixed doubles. She lost in both. Yesterday, she and her teammate were the top seeded pair in women's doubles. They lost in a tiebreaker, and then in roades. Later in the day, she lost her mixed doubles match in a tiebreaker as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so disappointing because she came in as one of the biggest stars of the Olympics. You remember she was a flag by bearer along with Lebron James. She's the reigning US Open champion. She had such high hopes of at least one medal, and this was her first Olympics. But remember it was supposed to be her second. She was supposed to be in Tokyo. She made the US team as a seventeen year old, but just days before the competition, she tested positive for COVID had to pull out. So this was kind of her big moment. She is just twenty. There will be more to come. But she said this after everything and she realized she wasn't gonna have a metal. She said, I'll try to take the positive and do better next time. So she's already looking forward, but certainly a huge disappointment for her. That's got to be tough when expectations are set so high. It's just tough when you can't meet them.
Speaker 1: And she set them right. She set them by her performer, we have an expectations sometimes with these athletes, and of course they can't win all the time. But do you remember I forgot about Tokyo, and I was like, oh, that's right, Yeah, I got she was on the day of her flight. I think she had a positive COVID test and had about Yeah, that was a we forget how ugly that Olympics and MESSI they was. We celebrate just that it went off. But it was a tough, tough go last night.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was in the state. It was so odd just to be in the stands with no fans, just journalists and it was just Earie. It was an eerie, strange, bizarre Olympics where I don't That's what makes this Olympics so great. I think just to see the fan fair, to see everyone there, to see families up in the stands, it makes it's a huge difference for the athletes and it's just it's it feels so much more celebratory and supported in a way that it just didn't in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: We're gonna turn now to what has been one of the biggest stories of the Olympics so far, so Robes. If you ask someone this question, is that water safe to swim in? And their response was, well, it's compliant. Would that make you feel good?
Speaker 2: I think you know my answer complaint absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm an official with an official badge and a jacket on, and I look really official. And I'm telling you I tested this water robes.
Speaker 2: And it's compliant. I mean, if I'm a swimmer and I'm competing in the race, that would have been good enough for me, because you want to win that medal, and you'll just suffer the consequences, whatever they may be, because you're a competitor, You're an Olympian, and you're gonna go for it.
Speaker 1: Might be gross.
Speaker 2: Try to keep my mouth closed, okay, and my eyes closed.
Speaker 1: But compliant. It's compliant. That's the word from Olympic organizers about the quality of the water and the River Sin. You've heard this by now. They had to cancel some practices and postpone the triathlons because the water in the Sin was unsafe. They had these unsafe levels of bacteria. Yesterday they said the water finally passed the pollution check. So the men and women's triathlons were held yesterday, which require the athletes to swim that first leg ropes, which is a one point five mile swim in the River Sin.
Speaker 2: And just to I mean to get a little specific the water, the threat to the swimmers if it wasn't compliant, but maybe even if it's just compliant and not what would be the next step up from compliant? Good?
Speaker 1: Barely passable?
Speaker 2: Okay, not great, but not terrible anyway. The threat to swimmers gastro intestinal issues, wounds getting infected, and your eyes getting infected because of the bacteria count in the SEIN. Yeah, so we should point out, at the time of this recording, we have not heard of or seen any reports of any of those troathletes getting sick afterwards. However, one South African athlete said after the race, and this is going to be a quote, I'm definitely going to be visiting the bathroom later. I swallowed gallons and gallons of water, so that's going to be a fun post race party.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta smile. What do you do? I mean, what do you do? He said? Gallons and gallon Hopefully he's exaggerating, but you're swimming for a mile and a half and you're and you know what. They had to do it in the river because they are used to swimming in these conditions where the currents are part of the actual event, so they had to do so. If I've never did a mile in a river or something, can you imagine the water you're taking in? Can you really drink gallons?
Speaker 2: I don't know. But that's a party of one. Oh, that's a party of one.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. Though, the winners were a guy from Great Britain he won the male tra athlete, and a woman from France I think one the other. There was a US athlete, a Seth Ryder, who competed as well for the US. But he got attention beforehand because he said he was preparing for the nasty water. How he said he was essentially trying to take in lower levels of E. Coli to prepare his body. How do you do that? He said that he didn't wash his hands after using the bathroom, okay, in the days and weeks ahead of the race. Seriously, he said he was to introduce it into his system a little. He did not wash his hands specifically after using the bathroom.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe that isn't you know, Maybe that is a smart move, because you know, anyone who's traveled to other countries who have different water altrition systems will just say that the locals are fine. It's US Americans or people who weren't used to those types of levels of bacteria that get sick, and so it does make some scientific sense.
Speaker 1: He says it's backed by science.
Speaker 2: Others say no, I mean, well, you're full of E.
Speaker 1: Coli.
Speaker 2: Yes, literally and figuratively.
Speaker 1: But he says, backed by science. I don't think any doctor would recommend it. But is there science behind it? I'm really not sure.
Speaker 2: We could ask my dad, he's a microbiologist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is he up yet?
Speaker 2: He's probably not, but we can check him with him and report back tomorrow. I think that's a good plan.
Speaker 1: Seth. By the way, with micro dosing the ecola, he finished twenty ninth in the triathlon.
Speaker 2: He finished, and let's just see if he got sick or not.
Speaker 1: The tennis we had an American, Danielle Collins. She actually quit. They don't call it quitting, and I shouldn't use that word retired. But she had to stop her tennis match yesterday because of stomach cramps dehydration. She says, essentially she had a heat stroke yesterday. During that match, temperatures hit ninety seven degrees and Colins and other athletes have complained that Olympics organizers aren't giving them insulated water bottles, so they're out there playing in this heat and having to stay hydrated with hot water. Now, get water into your system. However you get into your system, it will hydrate you all the same. But if it's ninety seven degrees and you're trying to cool your body temperature, you do not want to be taking in hot water. You want cold water. She's not the only athlete to complain about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she actually, you know, she did say she suffered a heat stroke. She was on the medical table for three hours, and she described what she was going through. She said she had full body convulsions. And I have to tell you, you know me running in heat, and it's not at ninety seven, it's just anything in the eighties. For me, you have seen me. I vomit when I was in Tokyo. I was training for a marathon. It was in the nineties. When I was running, I spent the entire day vomiting. I mean, it is real, and heatstroke can be deadly, as we've seen with athletes here in extreme heat, football players, et cetera. But it's a real thing. And I feel for her because that is devastating physically. And then how do you play at an Olympic level when your body is going through and not everybody's body takes on the heat and those conditions the same way.
Speaker 1: This is scary, I mean where we are right now. But athletes, you've been training your whole life for the Olympics and you get to the Olympics and you can't be at your best because of the heat, or because you feel like you don't have air conditioning in your Olympic village dorm, or because you get hot water during your event. We really hope no one ends up in a serious condition because of this.
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is I actually look this up today, Thank goodness for all of the athletes. The high temperature in Paris today finally eighty four degrees, tomorrow eighty two, and then into the weekend the highs in the seventies, and that's more normal for Paris. This is way way way above average, and the athletes are suffering for it, and I really feel for them. We should mention, though, what happened at the meeting at the net between her and her opponent after the match. That's getting just as much attention, if not more, than what was happening for her on the court.
Speaker 1: And she was playing a stud Okay, the number one player in the world, Ego Siatek of Poland.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that name.
Speaker 1: You know what. That's why I jumped in.
Speaker 2: I was gonna read it and then I was just gonna say, you know what, I'm just gonna be honest here and pause and say, hey, babe, why don't you take this name because I'm struggling with it.
Speaker 1: You nailed it a little more, you do, you do? But she's from Poland. She's great. Now you've seen all the time a match ends, the two players, no matter how heated that match was, they come to the net, they shake hands. They often hug the pleasantries. So when they met at the net to shake hands, it was clear that Collins was saying something that caught Schiatach off guard. You Actually, she Shiatak at one point kind of put her hands up, like what's going on? Like let that little emoji or that apple emoji right with this? What are we talking about? So later they did reveal Collins was telling Sciatech, you don't have to be insincere about my injury. What Collins then elaborated the reporters later saying her opponent can be one way on camera and another way in the locker room, she said, I quote, I don't need the fakeness, is what she said. Would not comment on it, she said, ask her about it and let her talk about it. You hate to see that. Again, we talk about, haven't we heard the Olympic ideal? And but you had to remember these guys, these women and men, these athletes are athletes. They are competitors, and competition at this level gets heated, and maybe this was a part of it. But yet you kind of hated to see it. But how bad a shade did Collins have to be in You're at the Olympics and you have to say, hey, I have to stop.
Speaker 2: I get it. I mean, if her body was going into full convulsions and on a table, that makes sense. And you have to put your health above a gold or any kind of a medal, or even any sort of competition. So it's a tough decision to have to make, but it was a smart one, I'm sure from a medical standpoint. So I get that. Now we want to talk about women's gymnastics, because that is going to be the talk of the day and perhaps even of the Olympics. But the two previous winners of the Women's All Around Olympic Gold will now both be going for gold in that very event again today both women are Americans. We're talking about Simone Biles and Sunny Lee. Of course, it's incredible. Only twice at Olympic history have two American women landed on the podium together. Two thousand and eight we have Nastia Luken who went for gold, who got gold, sorry, and Sean Johnson who got silver. And then in twenty sixteen, well it was Simon Files who had gold and Ali Raisman for silver. So this is really cool to see that we could have both women on the podium. I think most people are betting that Simon will get gold and soon you might get silver. But you never know. As we mentioned with gymnastics, one small mistake can cost you not just the gold, but being even on the podium altogether.
Speaker 1: I mean, should we even go as far as predicting? Are we kidding here? Small Biles is gonna win this thing running away?
Speaker 2: Agreed? But we I you know, you also saw what happened to Tokyo. It doesn't seem like she's anywhere near being in that mind space. She's come over. She's definitely risen above it and figured it out, did a lot of work on her mental health, and so you see what that has gotten her. Where that's gotten her. And I certainly believe if I was a betting woman, you could bet the farm that she's going to win gold. However, anything can happen in the Olympics. Anything can happen.
Speaker 1: Well, you can go to her balance being routine, jump up there and just smoke a cigarette, drink a beer, jump down, and she'll still win the over world.
Speaker 2: That's funny. But you know what is interesting to your point, and we've heard this from the commentators, because her skill level is so high. When you have a skill level, when you start out with it's you have a potential of getting a higher score than anyone else. You can actually fall and still win goal. Yes, and if you have a perfect routeene but it's less difficult and you're perfect, you don't make any mistakes, you still might not get on the podium. It's about now, the way gymnastics has become. It's whoever can do the highest difficulty starts out at such a higher point valuation that you can even make some pretty significant mistakes and still win.
Speaker 1: Think of it as weighted classes. In high school those ap classes, right, that kid got an A in the regular class. I got an A in the weighted class. So I got a four point three GPA and you got a four point zero. That's what we're talking about. You can this is what this is. And she's just so far ahead when she starts an event that it's she has the like I said, smoke, smoke a cigarette, drink a beer down't balance me and just hop down. She will still crush it on the next three events, win goal, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you know you will be clapping for Simone and Suoni and all of tam Usa. But yes, Simone clapped back at her former teammate, and I.
Speaker 1: Should give you a hard time. She clapp should give you a hard time clapping.
Speaker 2: That just came to me right now? Oh are you shocked? That's a kidding. I'm laughing. Do you make fun of me all the time for my cheesy, cheesy, cheesy moments? But yeah, so you you wrote who in their right mind would block Simone Biles on Instagram? Well it was one of her former teammates. At least, that's what Simone Biles is saying. There you know, I have not loved witnessing this. I just got to say, I understand, I understand the emotion. This just this is hard for me, even as a woman, because this is just I feel like this gets all of the attention and the last thing, I think any decorated female Olympian wants the headline to be about some beef you have with another and she, you know, I think it's very fair to say she did not start it, but there's been some clapping back and it's stolen the headlines from in a lot of ways, just the accomplishments. I hate this. But there has been a back and forth with her former Olympic teammate, Mikayla Skinner, and it all started last month when Skinner, she started it, like I said, made comments that this team USA just doesn't have the work ethic and she said, and this is a quote here, besides Simone, I feel like the talent and depth just isn't what it used to be. So after the women went won the gold medal the team Gold, Simone posted a picture of the team on social media, but her caption is what got the attention. She said, lack of talent, lazy, Olympic champions which was almost assuredly a shot at Skinner.
Speaker 1: Okay. So then in another post yesterday, a follow up to that, Simone and a teammate Ordan Giles, showed an image of a phone being held for some by Simone and it had Skinner's Instagram profile up on the screen and it showed this image. You see, if somebody has blocked you, you could go to their profile and it says zero posts and da da da da. So it seemed to display that Skinner had blocked some moon Now Simon. Actually she tweeted out or the thing that's saying, oops, I've been blocked, and they're kind of having some fun about it and going at Skinner. Skinner, we do want to say apologized, like she put out a statement apologizing for her original comments. She also had said she was misinterpreted. I didn't hear the live comments that have the context, so I don't know what she was talking about, how she was talking about it, but clearly it offended the current team and something she said at least she felt later she should.
Speaker 2: Not have said, oh yeah, and then Soony added to it because she then put a she then put out on her social media put a finger down. If Simone Biles just ended you, and reportedly she ended that with a hand emoji, you can guess which one that is since been deleted. So that's just I get it. I get it. These these girls have worked so hard and they proved that their hard work paid off, and so it's very frustrating when someone who was once on your team then shows some shade. I just I wish that we could just find some sunshine and the shade could go away. But just for some point of reference, Mikaela Skinner, she actually was able to get a silver medal on the vault. When Simone had the twisties, she dropped out of that event and so Skinner was put in. She was there as a potential replacement and so it made room for her to win. And if you looked back at the two back in twenty twenty one, I guess they were good friends. So it's just it's just tough to see former teammates and just women in general. I just I hate this. So I hope we can put this to bed and we can focus on the athleticism and just watch and shaer On Biles and Sunny, you know, Sony Lee bring home some metal today and we can just cheer them on and forget this other stuff.
Speaker 1: Hang. Hopefully we'll see Skinner and some Owen and crew and maybe it's all okay. Maybe it's been misinterpreted. Everybody's emotional, but to your point, yeah, maybe it'll be okay. But I would love to talk to Mikayla Skinner. I would I just wonder where her head. Well, I want to find that clip.
Speaker 2: It was deleted, you know what that And also she I should point out she also put up on her Instagram story. She was trying to make good of making a bad decision by saying what she said, but she put up on their story on her story a picture of the team, the current team who just won the gold, and put heart emoji. So she was trying. But you know, once something like that has been said, you can't really unsay it.
Speaker 1: Let's keep talking about the women of the Olympics for a second, and another pretty incredible feat that has been pulled off by the women of Canadian soccer. They have advanced out of the group stage. Now that's tough to do for any country. To do it with a six point penalty is soposed to be impossible, but that's exactly what they have now done. Remember, the Canadian women are the defending Olympic gold medalists. They got caught, I say they. I don't want to put the whole team in it, but at least the coaches and the coaching staff were caught flying drones to spy on their opponents at their opponents' practices. The Canadian coach was actually dismissed and sent home before Canada played it first match at these Olympics. An investigation continues that an appeal was already denied. But Robes, you and I watch a lot of internet. Anytime countries are involved, you and I will stop and watch those soccer matches. But the group stage, if for folks do watch or don't understand you in a group of four teams, each of you play each other. If you win, you get three points. You lose, you get no points, you tie, you get one point. It's just so whoever gets the most points out of that group play. They got docked six points and they still made it out of group ropes by beating winning all of their matches.
Speaker 2: And that is remarkable. Also, I just if you're that good, why do you have to spy. I just the cheating thing is tough. And by the way, Bev Priestman, who is the Canadian coach, you mentioned she got sent home, but this they also got banned for one year, you know, and think about what that does to the team morale. So the Canadian coach, the assistant coach, and a performance analyst were all given those one year bands in addition to being sent home from the Olympics, and the team still did what they did, so they are certainly a force to watch. They're going to be facing Germany in the quarterfinals on Saturday, so you know, good for those girls for being able to rise above and you know, like you said, what your coach does doesn't necessarily imply that you had any part of it. And yet you know, they paid the price and they proved that they're still well, incredibly exceptionally good at what they do.
Speaker 1: Would have doubts that the team that the players were in on this and a part of it, and I have to take them with their word on that one. But I applaud them for what they've been able to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Today, also just wanted to give a shout out to US women's basketball. They beat Japan by twenty six points. They won fifty six straight Olympic games and so they are certainly a force to watch. The last Olympic game they lost was back in nineteen ninety two in Barcelona. So kudos to the US women's basketball.
Speaker 1: That's jed that the I mean, as you can imagine, the tallest player on Japan's team six to one, the US has I think half a team is tall than six one.
Speaker 2: Well, they're playing Belgium today, so we'll see how that goes. But somehow I think we've got this, But maybe that's just arrogant I don't know, or history. All right, this is what else we're watching today. It is a star studded day. Of course, we've just mentioned US women's gymnastics. If you twelve fifteen Eastern time, some Homebiles Sunny League compete in the individual all around finals. We are scheduling our entire day around that, obviously. Then track and field had its official start today. You heard TJ talk about the race walk. If you were like me and did not get up at one thirty in the morning or at three o'clock in the morning to watch it live, you can watch it later this morning. I will be doing that. I just I have to see it. So it's a must watch for me. Maybe it's a must rewatch for you. TJ.
Speaker 1: No, I'm good on So I watched no sport. Where's that line they tell you? I see you've seen it in your news career at some point locally where they say they tell you the news after it happens, they tell you the weather before it happens. But sports is the only thing worth watching live.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that before, but that is all very true. Okay, men's golf today? You interested in that? You've got a marquee three sism? Oh my god, a marquee threesome?
Speaker 1: What where were you trying to say?
Speaker 2: Wow, threesome? And I said three sism.
Speaker 1: Three sism? Yeah I did, But where's the sizza come from? You were about to say? Wait, what a marquee threesome?
Speaker 2: It's because him. I don't know. Sometimes my brain is inexplainable.
Speaker 1: What other word could that have been?
Speaker 2: Three sism threesome? I don't know, because I don't know. But I've got some s names coming up, so maybe my brain just jumbled them all. Because the world's number one, Scotti Sheffer, number three Rory Macilroy. Thank you. See I am so bad with names sometimes and you might. I don't know if you know this one. Sweden's number four, Ludwig Aberg. I don't know anyway. I'm not a big golf person, as you can tell. But apparently if you love men's golf, today will be your day. We mentioned the basketball US women's basketball versus Belgium, and then yes, we mentioned Katie lid Deecki swimming in the four by two hundred relay. US women's beach volleyball versus China. Today US men's water polo versus Grease. There is so many more events that we just can't get through. But from surfing to archery to you know, it's just whatever you like, there's something for you today, So.
Speaker 1: We gotta get to it. We gotta go run very slowly, I guess we gotta read run floored. And these folks are walking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we have a six miler today as we continue to prep for the Chicago Marathon. But doesn't seem like such a great athletic feed after everything we've been watching at the Olympics. But it is humid and hot, here, so we've got to go get that done. But no complaints here. Having so much fun watching all of Team USA do what they do and even just all the athletes around the world. It's been remarkable. Had a lot of fun, so hope you're having fun listening to us. We'll have more tea from Perry tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Again, we're not married to that title.