Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphans And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, with Toran's retirement official, I wanted to spend some time watching Patrick Paul and give you an assessment on his three hundred and thirty eight reps from his rookie season, plus two more player prospect profiles as well look at two more potential options at pick thirteen with South Carolina's Nick e Man Worry and Organ's Derek Harmon to round out our round one potential wish list from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 1: Jie so currently working on the Friday and next Monday podcast, and I'm just kind of like realizing how quickly the Draft is approaching and how ready I am for this year's class. I am very excited about it because the more I dive into Day two and Day three options, like, there are a lot of players that I think would make this football team better across the ten picks that you have, and I cannot wait to share all the information that I've kind of gathered for you guys. We're gonna go heavy next week, the week of the draft, will have Kyle Krabs on for his annual two part episode and then we're there. We'll be talking about the draft come Thursday night, breaking down that first round pick wherever it might come from.
Speaker 2: And I am fired up. As for today's show.
Speaker 1: First off, Happy Masters Week to everybody who celebrates. I kind of wish my body had shut down last week and I was sick for five days compared to this week, or I should say wish it was this week compared to last week, because that Texas Valero open just does not quite have the same juice of Augusta.
Speaker 2: But I digress.
Speaker 1: So the left tackle position pivot has some clarity following the news that came down over the weekend, and I think we start here. I think Patrick Paul could become the model of how things are run in Miami if all goes according to plan this season. And what I mean by this is it's draft night. You're on the clock. You have all these options, some maybe for immediate impact and betterment of the team, but not for the best long term interest of the team. And while you're staring down that ball of clay that fits everything that you do, but maybe you don't have a starting spot for him as a rookie, or perhaps there's some technique issues that have to get ironed out, or NFL strength training. A cornucopia of reasons why that player might not be the best year one fit, but come year three, they're the best potential player on the board for you. And we can probably apply this to a decent portion of that twenty twenty four class, right, I mean, we just just a random aside. One of the things I appreciate most about coach McDaniel is we get this every offseason. He and they as a staff will assess what went wrong. They come up with a plan for how to attack it. They communicate that plan with us in the media and as fans. Then the moves tend to track with those comments and ideas and with coach. This year it's been about the emphasis on draft picks, young players, free agents off that first contract, all the things we highlighted about potential ways to attack the offseason and roster building philosophies that we had Kyle on four that I talked about here for the Miami Dolphins heading into the season, and for this year, it's basically been an emphasis on draft picks and how that's the key in the current NFL landscape for a multitude of reasons. It's always been that way, but it's more highlighted now than ever before because of what's happened to free agency. You're getting adequate starters, you know, third tier players getting Tier one contracts in many respects. Jalen Wright was this way. Malik Washington kind of was two to a lesser extent, but before December he had ten catches. Chopp finishes a lot stronger, but he was an impact player. So as a rookie, I don't really include him in that group, but you get the concept. Drafted players who began to really take off after their rookie season. We saw with Robert Hunt, who barely played as a rookie, which I don't know if you guys saw the back and forth with Robin and Omar on Twitter, but hilarious gaff once again there. We saw it with Austin Jackson in his fourth season. It goes back to something I said in the podcast at least one hundred times this year, over a thousand or I should say over one thousand episodes over five years. The best way for teams to improve is for the incumbent players to step forward. So to bring this back, a lot was made over the selection of Patrick Paul because of the perceived needs at the guard position last year. And now look at where we are, a predictable place where our generational tackle who willed himself onto the football field for basically three straight years, doesn't finish a full seventeen games, but plays a lot of games. But we knew that, like the body was just not going to last that much longer, right, and the retirement comes down the pipe, And imagine how much tougher this offseason becomes if you had to fined to Ron's replacement. Because we've been over this, the free agent tackle market does not exist. It's blockbuster, it's gone. I mean it does. But you're paying like twenty five million dollars for Dan Morgan who is a fringe starter at best. It's quite crazy. And then in the draft, tackles tend to go super fast, and you might be able to get like a Kelvin Banks at thirteen, but I don't think that's an inspire hiring draft pick if he's there. And I'm not sure that thirteen is the place where you get value for the tackle position, and then it picked forty eight. Tackles don't usually usually don't come off that late, which is I guess a contradiction because Patrick Paul was in that range. But that's why you drafted him and sat him and developed him, because he wasn't ready to play as a rookie. So there would have been really challenging questions to solve that issue. But now we have Patrick Paul who's had a year of coaching in the system, which is so valuable in this offense in particular, had a really good training camp and then showed substantial growth from his rookie tape compared to what he was at Houston. And I would even say what he was on tape against the Titans in that first start in the horrible no good week four Monday night beat down by a bad football team versus what we got in the Jets and Texans games where he didn't start the Jets game, but he played from the fourth snap on. And I know PFF doesn't really like him, but we don't give a tamn about that, right because I mean, they're grading process. Hees have really gone by the wayside over the years. And I would also challenge anybody watching Paul to do it on a curve, because Paul's twenty twenty four reps on an Island shouldn't be viewed in the same prism as Patrick Paul's twenty twenty four reps compared to where that college tape was, Like, let's be honest, he was mechanically a disaster in college.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: I mean, Chris Greeven had to take it to the podium and say, like, even when he gets beat and the mechanics are bad, there's still wins on tape. Like he had to calm the backlash over that. But we saw vast improvements really from training camp day one all the way through December. I knew early on that Pat had the right demeanor to execute. What he told me was his biggest goal was to relearn his pass protection technique because at Houston he was doing something called catching, where you basically open your hands and throw them at the defender rather than punching. It's more of a looping mechanic than like a straight eight point eight to point B punch, and he explained this in his media availabilities. But he also told me on Drivetime last summer that his ambition to really work on his past sets and when he told me his goal is to one day be the president of Nigeria, where his grandfather was once president, when his playing career is over, and just by getting to know him, he is an extremely driven individual, so you need not worry about him putting in the work. That's a certainty. Is that a guarantee that he'll be a good player. No, it's not, but it's a prerequisite that you cannot skip over. So at least we have that, So I thought, why don't we provide an assessment. He played one snap in Seattle. He played sixty in the Titans game the entire game, by the way, nineteen in the home win versus the Pats, seventeen in the game in Green Bay. Then he got two basically full games versus the Jets. Started the game against the Texans, came off the bench in the Cleveland game for thirty three snaps. Then he started at right tackle against the Jets in the finale. And I don't I'm gonna shed those last two games because he's not a right tackle. He wasn't ready for that position, I don't think. And also coming in cold against Miles Garrett. I don't think is a reasonable measurement for a guy that we're trying to evaluate and see where his growth can be in year one. So now if he sees miles in a game this year and we have the Browns on our schedule, then for that's all, like you have to perform in those situations, so that one's on the table. But for this purpose is for the purpose of this assessment, we're going to remove those two games.
Speaker 2: So I looked at the Titans game.
Speaker 1: I wanted to look at the Packers and Patriots minimal snap games as well as those Texans and Jets starts or almost start against the Jets, So two hundred and thirty one snaps in total, and that Jets game, he comes off the bench for Toronto Armstead four plays into the first drive, we score a touchdown, Armstead comes back out, and then pauls back in two plays later. So I think Testead played like six snaps in the game. And the play that play is his first outside zone play called in the entire game, and he reaches a nine technique knocks him off his spot. A nine technique is a guy that's way outside of your tackle right he is outside where a tight.
Speaker 2: End would be.
Speaker 1: He's like two or three steps away from the formation, and so you have to get out there and get to the outside shoulder and turn him back inside. And Pat not only knocks him off of his spot, he turns him in and steals him inside. And that's the most consistent thing I see on his tape to hit blocks in space with control and overpowering control quite frankly, and when you know it, that's the basis of this offense. Like I know, there's a lot of conformation about certain picks and evaluations, but like they know what they're doing in terms of what they look for and who fits those traits. And that's evident as you know, clear as day with Patrick Paul. And you see how that factors in with our play action game. I think, you know, I think we're gonna have this on an episode of Dolphins HQ coming up. I'm gonna break down these two plays in particular where you get an outside zone run and then play action pass off of that, and they just marry up so well together. And I think that he especially executes these two factors, and this is the beauty of our offense because those guys have to brace the edge. Defenders have to brace for a potential four two eight running back coming around the edge with the football, and then also contend with a three hundred and thirty five pound monster who wants to ruin their life with great athletic ability, trying to put them six feet below the hard rock surface, hard rock stadium surface, out they're on the playing field. So he's able to go jump set these nine technique rushers and just lock them down because they're on their back foot, like you're bringing the heat to me, I have to adapt to you.
Speaker 2: So where he utilizes.
Speaker 1: His athleticism in the running game, in the play action game, that allows him to neutralize his rush counterpart to a phone booth. And if you look at his pass rush stats like or at pass rush stats across the league, there's a reason that tackles give up the most pressures then guards than centers. It's the further out you are, the more space you have the tougherness to block those guys. And you'll watch Tron Armstead and how often he would jump set. It's basically, when you have that nine technique, you go meet them where they are. You don't get vertical and allow them a three or four step runway to build speed, to set up a counter move, to set up a bull rush. You go get them where they are, cut that runway down to two steps, and all of a sudden, they have to win in a phone booth. And to me, Paul has a natural transition to this from the run game because of his traits in play style. So one play he erases a defender at the point of attack. Then on a similar play but with play action on the play the next snap, he creates a situation where this two hundred and seventy pound edge has to try to beat him in a phone booth. And there's not anybody in football doing that. Like from a physiology standpoint, it's not possible because Patrick Paul's three hundred and thirty five pounds with an eighty five inch wingspan. You like it's trying to like, he's his back is to the phone in the phone booth, and you have to get to the phone around him.
Speaker 2: You can't do it because he's blocking it. He's too big. There's not enough space in the phone booth.
Speaker 1: The balance, the poise, the lack of heels clicking, which for a guy that size, I'll never forget Phil Loadholt. He was a tackle out of Oklahoma who played for the Vikings, and we had the Vikings in Week two two thousand and nine after a win on the road in Buffalo, and the Vikings were coming off the first Brett Favre. Maybe it's twenty ten, yeah, twenty ten, the Brett Favier. They lost an MFTY championship game to the Saints, and we were supposed to lose that game. And I'm like, watch out for Cam wake on Phil Loadholt because he clicks his heels. He's a three hundred and forty pound tackle who can't move, and Cam wake eats those guys for breakfast. And sure enough, I think Cam had two sacks like a safety or a fourth fumble in that game and basically won us that game. Like Patrick Paul is the same size as Phil load Holt, but he moves like Tron Armstead does. He's a smooth glider who can really react to the attempts to create distance, to disengage, to cross face or get up field. In fact, his poison balance in general I think should be praised. He's pretty good about having his butt parallel to the ground as he covers ground on the kickslide.
Speaker 2: He constantly is.
Speaker 1: In great shape against those wide nine rushers, but not having a vertical set, or by not having a vertical set rather but getting out there and shortening up their runway and not getting over anxious on that first move. So his tape honestly comes down to one thing between his flat out, dominant reps and the ones where he doesn't look as sharp. And to me, it's the hands when he gets his punch right and inside. The comparison is Billy Madison against the fourth grade class playing dodgeball.
Speaker 2: They're all in big, big trip. Man.
Speaker 1: They just don't make movies like that anymore, do they. But for Pat, like, when the punch is accurate and good, that's what it looks like like. He's, you know, playing basketball against a bunch of people that are three foot six tall. When his hands get outside the rushers, they can kind of take control of the rep. And I'm sitting here telling you how great he is. Let's go ahead and talk about some of the things that jumped out in a negative way on the tape. Some of the flaws I saw those hands are still outside the framework. Too often we have to clean that up and we get back to the more Billy Madison reps. A post to getting beat. It doesn't allow him to lock down or keep a defender where he wants. They can kind of control the rep from there. A couple of goal line runs against the Jets where he washed an edge inside but was able was not able to finish the block because they could work back across his face because of Patrick's inferior hand position.
Speaker 2: On the rep.
Speaker 1: There's some waste bending, which is where you'll see the player's body basically folding half into blocks, and that is the worst place to be for an offense. Am You can't see what you're hitting, Your balance is terrible. You're not going to be able to pivot or drop step or do anything. It's an awful place to be. There's some of that in his tape still, it seems to be from alignments. When he gets that look where he is on the line of scrimmage with a tight end attached and he can't get that depth. The tackle kind of sets further off the line of scrimmage. I don't know if he feels his corner is shorter and feels more urgency because of that tight end alignment next to him. But from those reps you can see him kind of race to get to a spot. Then the feet stop, and that's also a non sequard or you cannot have that. And this usually comes with an inside move that he has a tough time reacting to. He does drop his head into blocks. You can see some reps where everybody's head is up and face masks are on their blocks, and you'll see the face mask of Pat's helmet looking straight down to the ground.
Speaker 2: You cannot do that.
Speaker 1: There's reps where he's just straight down and you can't block what you can't see. I think back to Chris Greer's comments about him on draftnight once again that he can be mechanically bad and still win because of the physical skills. And that's still the case for him as a pro, which is kind of crazy, because he is the best athletes in the NFL or in the world, I should say, Like on the opening drive against the Jets where he made that key block for the HM touchdown run, you see him drop his head, but the way he drives his man off the football and totally uproots him. It's the key block for a touchdown run. And you see pat celebrate accordingly. So I think you've got a mechanically deficient, mechanical deficiency and you still get that type of win if he can harness it, if he can take strides in that area. My expectations for all offensive linemen that come in the league these days, because we've talked about the lack of development at the college level, right then if he can do all that, we're gonna have something special because he'll have the wow reps and then the bad reps will not be you know, Liam getting split in half and falling down and everyone has a meme about it on social media. The bad rep is like, oh, he barely lost the edge there and it sped two up by a tenth of a second. If not, it's going to be a player with flashes, but also plenty of bad losses stick out in your mind. So to me, like the ceiling is already like attainable and there for him, but we got to get that floor up and we can do that through better technique.
Speaker 2: I think the best part.
Speaker 1: Of his game is if you don't really see him give ground upon contact to condense that down. He's just hard to move, which is a good trait for an offensive lineman right, whether it's ceiling an alley or absorbing a bull rush, guys aren't displacing him the way he impacts guys with one arm, Like you can see guys being moved when he reaches out and just pushes them with one hand, which is a sign of heavy hands, which is a great trait to have for an old lineman. Once again, so you have the reach blocks, play side, running left, and those are great, but man, when he has to run to the right and reach a three technique and cut him off to seal the backside. The way he can extend that left arm, engage the defender and then run down the line before working to reattach.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Man. We're going to point back to that on some big runs this year. I almost guarantee it. You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it. And on top of that, the ability to pop a hip open and move at that size is so impressive. What I mean by that is you get a twist off the edge right where then edge slants inside and squeezes that guard and makes the tackle kind of squeeze in tight to the guard as well. And then here comes the defensive tackle looping around the edge. You have to then get with and depth and you know, drop step back with your left foot, open up that hip and move that direction quickly to match that move. And when he does that, it's not labored at all, and most guys his size Phil Loadholt are very labored in that movement.
Speaker 2: Here comes Cameron Wake around the outside, he gets around Shanko, he gets around Loadholt and he knocks that football loose before Britt started to throwing loosen. It kind of comes down to this for me.
Speaker 1: And look, these guys have the tape right, Butch has been through these reps a million times. Smith, McDaniel, all these guys have seen this and made determinations based off what they saw on those reps. And I think the two things that led to the most losses for him. Every player has losses right to me, are extremely correctable. They are the technique refining something he and the staff acknowledge is in an area of growth for him as a rookie, and he definitely had that in year one and then just sometimes not having the correct landmark or man to block.
Speaker 2: And this is a tough offense man.
Speaker 1: A lot of sign adjustments, different landmarks that change on the fly, and as a first year player is going to be seeing some of these concepts for the first time. The time and seasoning go a long way to shoring that up for a player. So if you're talking about developing a player, I'd much rather have those to overcome than is he strong enough, is he quick enough? Does he have an NFL traits? The answers to those questions with Pat are resounding yes. I cannot wait to see how this plays out for him. I'm fascinated by this entire experiment. I'm pretty confident he'll become a dude in this league. It might be in year three or four, and this might be like what you get from what you got from Austin and his like breakout year, and then it gets better and better from there. But it's gonna get there eventually. I just don't know if it happens right away. Game one might be a tall ask. Maybe by the playoffs he's rocking and rolling at some point. Patrick Paul is going to be a very good offensive tackle when that happens.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure. Last thing on him.
Speaker 1: If Daniels is the left guard, I think that move The move that gave him the most problems is the upfield rush cross face move. That's where the benefit of having a strong post can help any tackles. Maybe it is Patrick Paul, James Daniels, and Aaron Brewer for one of the better left sides, hopefully in the NFL.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and.
Speaker 1: Take a break, come back and do two more player prospects or prospect profiles. Nick e Man Worry and Derek Harmon. That's all next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autn'tation. Now I believe I said these were the final two prospect profiles we were going to do in this level of depth. I am going to get to a my guy's list later on probably next week, and run down, like my favorite players across the entire draft rounds one through seven.
Speaker 2: We'll do a mock draft as well. It's drafts.
Speaker 1: He's a man like, We're gonna be doing all this stuff for a couple of weeks here, and I should say we need to do one more deep dive on Will Johnson because I think cornerback is very much in play in that first round and he could be on the board there, so we should take a look at the Michigan cornerback. But I have two more guys that I think are spoiler targets in a trade situation, and I am very much intrigued by the idea of a trade down. We'll cover what that might look like as well on a future podcast. You get the mock draft, the my Guys segment, trade down options and partners and what that might look like, the two Kyle Krabs episodes. Plenty of fun stuff coming away here on the Draft Time podcast before April twenty fourth, when the Dolphins pick thirteenth as of now schedule to pick that spot come the twenty twenty five night one of the draft. So we're talking about two more players. We'll do a player than a break than our last player, and we're talking about Nick e Man Worry here, the South Carolina safety number seven for the game Cocks. And the first thing that jumps off watching his tape is how he plays the run from depth. And if you go back to the twenty twenty four team, we talked about all the issues of Dolphins had blocking off the edge, the run game, the negative runs on offense. I would say one of the biggest downfalls of the defense was the ability of the safeties to play the run from depth or just tackle in the middle of the field in general. And if you want to get that part of your football team, better you draft this guy. I learned a lot on this rewatch of Eman Worry and this deep dive, because the first thing that stands out is the first thing that I watch from safeties, how do they approach piles that are forming but haven't yet been ruled down. They're kind of stood up in a standstill. You get the I guess the original version of the toush push where guys try to push from the backside the defense tries to pull it down from the front side. But how does the defender approach a pile like that? Do they come in and patty cake it and just touch the back of it and say, okay, we're good here, or do they run through it trying to be a Miley Cyrus And Eman Worry is the latter. In fact, his dad might be Billy Ray Cyrus. In fact, everything about how he plays the run or just comes downhill from depth in general is fantastic. So the way a lot of modern defense is played is those two high pre snap presentations where you have two players, you know, ten to fifteen, sometimes twenty yards off the football, and then one of those safeties has converted check. Sometimes it's defined, sometimes it's making a read like if he has a tight end or running back to his side of the formation, to his responsibility and they stay in to block, he can then convert to a robber who can crash on drag routes, over routes and just kind of hang out in zones and kind of pluck the football the quarterback's eyes from those positions and in those different zone packages. Watching I Man Worry, you see tons of that, and we ran a lot of that in the first year under Anthony Weaver. He almost always aligns to the short side of the field, the boundary, right boundary, field boundaries, the short hash mark the field is the wide side of the field, and would fly up on run plays.
Speaker 2: But here's the kicker.
Speaker 1: He has the length and the change of direction and the straight line speed to then get back into the hook zone and impact your passing lanes. In coverage, his depth of range is just better than most guys because he's built like a linebacker but runs like a cornerback. So that, paired with how he hits and how he makes you feel his presence, are very, very intriguing. It's a great option to have ten yards down the field when the offense blocks one up perfectly and springs their back for a one on one chance against your safety. Because he does not lose many of those reps, and again we lost tons of those reps last year, both against receivers and running backs alike. There are reps all over his tape where he looks like a scrape linebacker where he comes down behind a block, reads it, shoots the gap, and makes the play in tight quarters through the trash. He honestly, again is a linebacker in some respects with just freaky, freaky athletic traits a lot of what he does inside the ten yard box, but then can outrun your best athlete one hundred yards down the field like if if it all clicks for him, He's exactly what you want in an NFL player in twenty twenty five, his coverage and middle slash intermediate field impact. He didn't walk up into the press into press or even have a lot of man opportunities, but when he did that, the player was pretty much an afterthought in the passing progression because like, well, it's usually a lumbering tight end and I'm not throwing at that matchup either from the quarterback, Like I'm not going to take a five to one tight end against a four to four safety who's bigger than him. So it's just it's a good thing, right, But I wanted to see him tested more than he was in those spots. There is a rep in the game versus Clemson where they jam two wideouts into the boundary and the college boundary is such a small plot of real estate, right because the hash marks are wider, But they wind up peeling a cornerback back and both players have a deep quarter of the field in the short area of the field, and the receiver fakes a crosser and Eman Worry is able to drive on it and take it away. But it's actually a double move, so he takes away the first potential throw, which wasn't going to be a throw, but for him, he doesn't know that because he's a defensive player. And then he can flip the hips and run back vertical down the field and matches this this double move takeoff route. But that's rare athletic traits you saw him measure with his testing this season as well, fluid hips, great straight line speed. I mean the ras the relative Athletic scorecard. His lowest percent tile finish was ninety fifth percent tile and that he was in weight. So he moves at ninety ninth percentile in vert and broad and forty time and ninety fifth in weight, ninety eighth in height. That is, he's a different player. But they'd align him to the short side of the field and let him rob crossing routes, step downhill on quarterback runs as a quasi spy in that second level. I think if you drafted him, he and Ifi can do a lot of the same things. But I think there would be an ability to have both them on the field and make them interchangeable the way that Poyer and Hyde were in Buffalo for so long, because both guys could play in the post. I think he can play as a twenty yards off the ball, you know, center field safety. I think when you have one of these players, you don't play them in the post because you want their skill sets closer to the line of scrimmage. But if you have two of them, then you can get really creative. Remember if he was the same in terms of his athletic ability coming out of college. So I think it would be short sided to say that neither could play in the post.
Speaker 2: I think both of them can do it all.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm getting into some of the coverage reps, and his length and press ability is there on the tape, especially if we're talking about backs, tight ends and slot specialists. Like you're not gonna line up Brax and Barrios against him and win.
Speaker 2: You're just not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: But you're not also not gonna ask him to do what Jialen Ramsey does and go cover Garrett Wilson on one side of the field. But if you've got nicky man worry, you can go say, hey, Cole Beasley, you're Donezo xavier 'streppo. You're Dounzo in the spot, Like you can match up on those guys with this player because he is faster and stronger than them. Like this rap against Texas A and M where he comes down into the slot with the motion so they motioned the player over and he follows him to go cover from a rotation standpoint, he beats the whip route to the perimeter and like cuts down the potential like throat to the flat, and then when that receiver puts a foot in the ground and changes direction back inside on the little whip route, jerk route, whatever you call it, he turns back underside the underside of it and undercuts it and gets a pass breakup. So I think the coverage skills are there as well, but the zone aspect of his game to me, is the best part of his game. Like the game changing play against Clemson to win the game last year. They run this deep over route from the strength of the formation and he picks it up and runs into the back of the end zone. To me, it looked like the primary throw for the quarterback, but he takes it away. They wind up with a pick and a big win over their N State rivals. I think a trade down for nick Eman worry is one of my favorite potential outcomes from this year's class. We'll cover what some of those might look like on an episode later this week or next week, but in the meantime, let's go ahead and take our last break come back and talk about another big player in the trenches. Derek Harmon, the Organ defensive tackle, will break down his game next Draft Time Podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. Our penultimate prospect profile takes us to the Pacific Northwest Eugene, organ to watch Derek Harmon, number fifty five, the defensive tackle for the Ducks. Off the top, one of the most productive players at any position in all of college football last year. Five sacks, eleven TFLs. He batted down four passes, he forced and recovered two fumbles. He had fifty five quarterback pressures eighteen total QB hits. Oregon list him at six five three point thirty, but his combine measurement was six four and a half three point thirteen. I'm curious to see what he weighs in for football, because we often know that a lot of these guys like to drop weight for the track testing. But I think he can be a three hundred and twenty five pound like nose tackle who can play it all the way out to the five technique. He ran a blazing four nine to five, good for eighty eighth percent tile among defensive tackles, and at those sizes, that's ninetieth and eighty second percent tile in height and weight. If you bump him back up to three hundred and thirty pounds, we're talking about ninety eight percent tile and weight. So a really good athlete mover. He's a first round pick all day long. As far as the tape and the alignment and usage. I'm three reps into his tape and it went like this two technique thwart a double team and be part of the tackle. In the running game against Ashton. Gent by the way, gent five technique, throw the tight end over to Corvallis on the opposite side of the state, make the play at the line of scrimmage. Then a three technique beat the guard upfield on a one gap slant rush and string the running back out for a loss. Once again, it was gent.
Speaker 2: He could.
Speaker 1: He continued to rotate across the formation. You play the nose tackle, play the four head up over an offensive tackle. He can play every position from the zero right over the center, all the way out to the five technique outside the right tackle left tackle combination. There his length, power and get off combination, all those stuff, the first step quickness, the way he impacts guys with his length and power. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but this guy is the one who belongs in the confident conversation. To me, with Grant, with Kenneth Grant and Mason Graham, and I feel like I'm not seeing a ton of that out there in the draft landscape. This might be the best block deconstruction defensive tackle in the entire draft. Gosh, it looks similar to how Zach Steeler plays in the sense that from a four point stance, fire out of your stands, shock the man and really translay all that weight from your feet all the way up through your shoulders and push him back that way, control him with a two arm stab stack peak the flow of the play, push pull, disengage that blocker, and then run the ball carrier down. Very easy to see why he led all college defensive linemen and TFLs at three hundred and thirty pounds. This makes you think that you can utilize him as a nose tackle when needed. He didn't do much of it at Oregon, but he has the makeup and technique to do it. Man, there are so many reps where he's doing the Darth Vader choke where like obviously not telepathic, like he actually connects with the guy, but where he locks him out with one arm, holds off the frame and then tosses him aside pure power from this guy, and he can move while he's doing that, kind of like we talked about with how Patrick Paul does on the offensive side. What's crazy is he actually has a ton of missed tackles. Now, when a defensive tackle blows through the line of scrimmage and has a running back in space three yards behind the line of scrimmage and he misses, and then his teammates rally and make the TfL. I still think it's a tremendous play that you give the most credit to the guy that broke through originally, and that happens a few times for this guy, but it just speaks to how gaudy his numbers could have been. This dude is reaching the par five greens on two shots every single time he plays a par five, and he's just not always converting the birdy putt. He misses his putts, his tackles in the backfield, his pass rush. While he can't play the five technique, there's not enough juice there to be an eye actual impact edge rusher, Like I'd rather have him slant across face and try to go after a guard inside or be part of games and stunts off the edge. He's just not gonna beat guys with bend and arc around the corner. But he's three hundred and thirty pounds he shouldn't be expected to do that. So when he can rush the guard and use his length more so than a pass rush like Arsenal with bend off the edge, that suits his skill sets. But damn it if the value of having him play base edge and then kicking inside is a rusher on top of all the base down stuff he can do inside two, I think you can load up his plate with snaps and responsibilities from year one. The best of all, he's a monster when it comes to setting picks and running games, which is what this defense does so well, and you have to always evaluate that when watching players for this defense.
Speaker 2: We run as much games as anybody in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And that first step quickness, with that power and size, that's what makes Zach Sealer so great. It's a lot like him in terms of how it impacts your interior pieces, and that's before we get to the communication aspect of how that pairs with Brooks and Gay and Iffy and on and on and on. Gosh, his pad level and his leg drive are so damn good. He's powerful, powerful, powerful, technically sound and everything he does the hands too. He can really use the hands to rip through tight seams, to reset the offensive line, to shed, to do all of it. The conversation to me between he and Kenneth Grant is an interesting one. I just think the mistackle thing that keeps showing up is probably what knocks him down a peg from those top two guys. He just doesn't always finish for whatever reason, and that and not a true pass rush skill are kind of my knocks on him. But I don't think you're drafting him for that second part. We do have to finish tackles better than he does, and so with one player left to watch, Will Johnson, I'll see where I stack him after this, but I want to watch him more in depth before I give an evaluation. My board as of today for pick thirteen would be Tyler, and this is among guys that have a chance to get there. I'm not talking about Abdull Carter, Travis Hunter would be Tyler, Warren Jaday Baron, which is a change from my last update. I had Grant over him, then Kenneth Grant. Then I have a line and this is my trade back potential options. Nicky man worry is first, then Malachi Starks think Eman Warrior's upside is higher, which makes more sense for the first round to me, and then Derek Harmon brings up the rear. But I like all these players, and I think Will Johnson probably finds himself either on the plus side of that trade back idea or just on the first part of the underside. We shall see when I watch that tape. But that's gonna do it for my time here on this edition of the Draft Time Podcast Friday. I'm not sure exactly what the show is going to look like. I have like twelve segments planned for you guys, I just have to organize them. But mock draft coming up. My guys will break down some film on the thirty visits. We'll do a deep dive in the safety position, talk about some trade down scenarios. All of that coming away here on the podcast in the coming episodes. Until then, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate review the show. Follow me on social at LinkedIn NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out Seth and Juice on the Fish Tank podcast. Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ, Draft time, interviews, media availabilities, and so much more. Last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Well next time, Finns up, Caroline and Cameron. Daddy, He's coming home. H