Speaker 1: Hello, becoming an icon and Nation Nation?
Speaker 2: Is that what we're doing now?
Speaker 3: Don't mess with my flow, and today we're switching things up.
Speaker 4: That's right, Joseph, because we're discussing two icons, this time for a roundup of their trail blazing careers.
Speaker 3: Bruno Mars and Selena Gomez had an unapologetic choke hold on the twenty.
Speaker 4: Tens, so we've brought back our very special guest and girl, Danny Sayan from Thetas Week of Podcasts to discuss both of their impacts.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Lilianavoscaz.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joseph Carrio and this is Becoming an Icon.
Speaker 4: A weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous latinv stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 1: And given the world some extra level.
Speaker 2: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 3: Because we are going in the only way we know how, with Buena's beras, Gonas, reesas and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. I cannot believe that we have come to the end of both Bruno and Selena.
Speaker 2: This is going way too fast and I need to slow down. This is not good. This is like my child. He's growing up too fast. The podcast is going by too fast.
Speaker 3: Honestly, becoming an icon will never be the same. It's like a year without rain. I feel like I've been locked out of heaven, Like who.
Speaker 2: Says okay, Okay, my sympathy's Joseph. Same here.
Speaker 4: But I have a little surprise for you that's going to maybe cheer you up. Do you remember the gorgeous Danny.
Speaker 3: Saym Exki yows me, the fabulous voice behind the mic ofs RICA podcast, the young Peruvian and bad psychologist.
Speaker 1: How can I forget Well?
Speaker 4: Lucky for you and for our listeners, she is back, Danny.
Speaker 5: It's so good to have you back on the show.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, and you'll be absolutely gorgeous with your makeup and your eyeliner stop.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for having me again. I love your podcast, by the way.
Speaker 4: You are so kind, and we loved having you on because you bring such a different layer to the conversation, and we thought who better than to lead us through the lives of two massive stars who are still I want to say, on the young end of their careers, like it's not over yet. Like they are baby icons, but they are true icons in their own right. And both of them are interesting because while they're fiercely proud of their heritage, neither Selena nor Bruno were born in Mexico or Puerto Rico, respectively, but they're so proud of it and they're so vocal about it. So, from your perspective, Danny, how does their culture and heritage impact their music and who they are as individuals and personalities in the pop culture world today.
Speaker 6: I feel that it has allowed them to be really truth and authentic in who they are and stay that way throughout their career.
Speaker 5: Because I love Selena Gomez.
Speaker 1: Got me too. I love her so much. I couldn't wait to talk about her.
Speaker 4: You're in the right place, You're amongst friends. This is the safe zone. This is a Selena safe zone.
Speaker 5: Great, I love her.
Speaker 4: Now We're gonna talk Bruno a little bit later, but let's start with Selena, because I think when you hear fame and you hear the word celebrity and paparazzi and pop culture, I mean, she is the most followed woman on Instagram, Selena has a really unique relationship with fame. How would you characterize relationship with the Spotlight.
Speaker 5: I think it has been really tough on her.
Speaker 6: I love everything that she puts out there ever since I was a kid and I watched her.
Speaker 5: I watched her on Barney and.
Speaker 6: Wizards of Waverly Plays and all throughout her starts on her star career on Disney Channel. But I remember when she came out with this statement of it was too much for her. At first I didn't understand, but then as I grew up, I realized how much she put out there of her, like her personal life, everything that she was doing, who she was dating, and everyone had something to say about it. So I think that was a lot. I can understand why she had to take a break for a little bit and how she was going through it.
Speaker 1: I kind of.
Speaker 3: Feel like the reason she is one of the most famous people in the world and followed on Instagram is because of that vulnerability that she let us all in and there wasn't really like a protection layer like pr and stuff. So we just kind of fell in love with her, and she felt like our sister or cousin or something related to us that we felt like we could say whatever we wanted as well. She was so relatable as opposed to someone like Kim Kardashian, like you know that you'll never be in a room with her, you know, so. I think her vulnerability also was just kind of like why people fell in love with her.
Speaker 6: Also, I think me growing up in Peru and watching her and being and seeing her so proud of where she came from, it made me believe it.
Speaker 5: Oh I could do it.
Speaker 6: Oh she may be believe that I was capable of doing something.
Speaker 4: I will say that I'm just going to play a little bit of Devil's advocate because you know, as an entertainment reporter, I see both sides of the coin, and I think what happens, and you see this happening a lot. Now, at least it's different because we have social media and they can control the narrative a little bit more. But back when Selena was coming up, and you know, the first round with Justin, I think what happens is if an entertainer lets you into their let's call a figurative house, right, they open the doors, they invite you in, they share a lot. It's very very hard to get the people out of your house. You know, when you have a party and those people overstay. Well, the world were the people that overstayed with Selena. And so I think it's hard because you want to invite people in, you want to be vulnerable, you want to be connected to them, you want to feel real. She wants to feel like the little girl that grew up in Dallas, right, But you're not. You are a global icon followed by you know, millions and millions and millions and millions of people. And so it works in your favor when you're on the up and up and everything is golden and things are fine and everyone's in love and it's rainbows and kittens and butterflies. But what starts to happen when real life happens to you. You don't want people in your house observing you in those vulnerable states. And so that for me, has been hard for her because she was so accessible to all of us, But then on the flip side, she didn't want us there when she didn't want us there, And it's hard because we're an insatiable monster. That's what happens with entertainment. We create this relationship that is a false relationship. It is a false sense of closeness. And I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but like, let's be honest, none of this is real.
Speaker 2: These people don't know you, they're not your friends.
Speaker 4: Like I see this a lot when I see like these tailor girls at the concert, I'm like, it's a business. Like she's not actually inviting you to her townhouse in the West Village, Like you're not actually going to dinner with her. And like Kara Della Vine, it is all built to create a false sense of closeness. And I think what was unique about Selena is she made that false sense of closeness feel very real for us, and so we were very invested in everything that she did, including obviously her relationship with Justin, obviously her music, her films, everything she did.
Speaker 2: We wanted in on.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, nobody can handle that level of attention and access to strangers because we are strangers to her.
Speaker 1: That's so hard.
Speaker 4: That's why when you see the show and you watch the documentary, I, as an entertainment reporter, felt bad because I was part of the system that caused her to crash.
Speaker 6: A lot of people in the past, or people that I grew up seeing, like celebrities didn't know how to set boundaries to the fame. That's why we see so many celebrities from that time opening up and being, oh, this is my documentary.
Speaker 5: I actually went through it.
Speaker 6: But I think what was I guess harder for Selena was that she was growing up. She grew up without setting any type of boundary. I think now with social media, it's easier for people to put themselves out there, but to a certain degree of Okay, this is where I draw the line of I'm not going to let people into my privacy like that. But before fame was controlling a completely different way where you needed to connect with your audience in a more vulnerable way.
Speaker 5: So you can draw the line.
Speaker 3: So like bottom line right now with Selena's relationship with fame, right now, where is she like after the documentary, now that she has wear Beauty, now that she's like back on Instagram and you know, like she has this new music video.
Speaker 1: Like, where where do you guys think she actually is?
Speaker 4: I'm going to go back to Facebook. I think that's a great question, Joseph. I think that my answer to that is that remember when Facebook used to have a status called It's complicated.
Speaker 3: I think it's yes, it's my relationship status right now with the person that I'm love, I'm.
Speaker 2: Okay complicated for her.
Speaker 4: For a lot of celebrities, being able to control the narrative through their own social media has given them a sense of stability, And I think for Selena it does that she can turn it on and turn it off whenever she wants, which, by.
Speaker 2: The way, she does.
Speaker 4: She goes dark on TikTok or on Instagram when she needs a break, and what has happened is she doesn't need mass media to speak to her fans anymore.
Speaker 2: I always say this, like, you know, entertainment.
Speaker 4: News shows like the shows I worked on for a decade are a dying breed. We're like going to go extinct soon because fans don't want to hear it through the filter of Access Hollywood or E News or entertainment tonight. They want to hear it from the source, and the sources of the celebrity, and the celebrities control that microphone.
Speaker 2: So I think it's complicated.
Speaker 4: I think she turns up the mic when she needs support for her projects, when she wants to get out there and feel connected.
Speaker 2: And then she turns it down when she needs a break. And good for her.
Speaker 4: I actually think this is an amazing thing, especially for young women coming up in this industry, whether they're actors, actresses or musicians. I think it's important for them to hold those reins because for so long they didn't and we saw what happened.
Speaker 6: I feel like she especially recently with the whole TikTok thing going on with Haley Beaber, and she turned on the live and she said, well, I need a break, and then she took the break. She was like, I have to set a boundary, and she did it, and I really respect that.
Speaker 4: And I think that also shows her growth and maturity as an artist, but more importantly, I think just as a human being, just in her own self protection. And that brings me to Bruno Marge, because I think they're so different. Number one, I think men and women are treated so differently in this industry. I think the grace that we give men we do not give women. Danny, how do you feel about that? Because Bruno has not had the same attention, and he's as big, if not bigger, of a musician than she is.
Speaker 6: I feel like with men and women, there's always going to be more attention drawn to women just because of how much is expected from them with men. Well, I feel Bruno Mars is so talented. I love everything that he puts out there, but I really haven't heard that much from him lately, Like.
Speaker 1: In terms of like scandal, fame, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 4: He's no drama, He's Mary J. Blige, no drama in his life. No, Danny, I do want to talk to you a little bit about how and why you consider them icons, because Joseph and I go back and forth on this show all the time. What makes somebody an icon? How did they get on the list for you personally, Danny, why would you consider Bruno Mars an icon?
Speaker 5: I feel with him it's just been more with music. I've always felt so beautiful with his songs. I'm going to say.
Speaker 6: That just the way you are, oh, this beautiful masterpiece. I feel like he was one of the first artists that made me cry from a song. I believe which song? When I was your man, when I was your way? Why what happened?
Speaker 5: I was just not the thing, Nothing really happened.
Speaker 6: It was just so much sentiment and so much That song is just beautiful. I feel every song that he puts out there has so much feeling and for the time that I was growing up, I didn't see that like much of it, and I feel he never lost his thing for putting feeling into the songs.
Speaker 4: Bruno Mars, to me, is going to go down as one of the best musicians and performers in the history of like pop, rock, whatever you want to call it. I think that is what makes him an icon that you can't define it right.
Speaker 2: The music is undefinable because.
Speaker 4: He is so lyrically and musically ahead of his contemporaries in terms of how he understands, like you said, Danny, the lyrics that will make somebody cry. But pairing that with the history that he understands about music and his sound is uniquely his. In a world where everything is derivative, Bruno Mars is a unique sound. Nobody sounds like you know, Nobody composes like Bruno, Nobody dances like Bruno, Nobody plays instruments like Bruno. I will tell you this, I don't let my son listen to a lot of pop music. The artist that I let my son listen to is Bruno Mars because I want Santi to have an appreciation for music that goes across genre, across age across demographic and to me, that is the perfect introduction to him into music because it's such a complex sound. I want my son's ears to train on that, and my son can sing almost all of the lyrics to Treasure. It's unbelievable at least two years old. Two years old, that's the music I want him to understand. So for me, he is such an icon.
Speaker 3: I agree with you one million percent where I have said it before. His sound is so unique. There is nothing like it, just like there is nothing like Shakidas before the sound in the nineties, there was just nothing.
Speaker 1: Bruno mars Is has like a.
Speaker 3: Separate category of music that you know, he's considered what pop and R and B and it's like everything.
Speaker 4: You're right because he has also not released new music in a very long time. He's long overdue for an album, Denny, Do you know anything about something forthcoming with him?
Speaker 2: Have you heard any intel at least recently?
Speaker 5: None?
Speaker 3: But wait, hold on, I do know who else has new music out right now? Ooh, Selena, Selena Gomez. I mean, have you heard the song?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: What were the very first thoughts that you had as you heard it?
Speaker 1: Like it played and you were like.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the name by the way, in case you guys have not heard the song, so the song is called single Soon. The first that I had was I cannot wait to make a TikTok to this song. It's very, very good. I actually really like it. I think it's like it's that type of Selena song that I want to hear. I feel that because every time she writes a song, it all gets wrapped up in.
Speaker 2: Her relationship history.
Speaker 6: Heard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people heard this song and immediately thought it was about the weekend. She has since set the record straight. It is not about the weekend, so everybody calm down and listen. It's relatable. The song is super relatable. I think it's so good. And Danny, you said you had heard it or you have not heard it.
Speaker 6: No, I have not heard it, but I just want to add to that. I hate how every time a female singer is related to someone, she's always going to be related to someone, and if it's not to that specific person, it's just this stigma that oh relationships and that person. So maybe the song is not about any She just wanted to make a song. Why is everybody just relating her to oh, this person or that other person.
Speaker 5: Maybe she's just amazing at.
Speaker 6: Whatever she does, like she doesn't need to be related to anybody else but herself exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, you know what, Nanny, I'm going to give you some advice.
Speaker 3: Before you listen to the song and all of the listeners and everybody out there, Before you listen to the song, watch the video. I think when you watch the music video, you're like, oh, I love it. It gives you something, It gives you the visuals. So when you watch it, you're just kind of like, oh.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: I'm into that. I like the idea of watching and listening at the same time. We don't do it enough, like it takes me back. I mean, Danny, you're way too young to understand this. But when Joseph and I were younger, there was a show called t R Yeah to me.
Speaker 3: Young hold on, but we used to be young, Daniel, Okay, we did one time we were.
Speaker 2: Young, well, one time we were young and hot.
Speaker 1: I yes, wait, TRL, stop it. You're not going to do this to us.
Speaker 4: I am I'm going to do it. I'm the grandmother yo, solve Jahita becoming an icon, and my ass was so excited to watch TRL Total Request Live with Carson Daily and all the stars would go to Times Square and unleash like their new video, their new project, and we would watch it on MTV at home and like root for them. And it was where we consumed music videos. That's how we didn't have VVO and YouTube. We watched t RL And so I love that this new generation is now like understanding the impact of not just listening to a song on Spotify or on iHeart, but like consuming the video as you're listening. It makes for a very different first impression, don't you agree?
Speaker 1: Yes, one thousand percent. It takes you there, It takes you to the song.
Speaker 6: I feel the visuals are so important to a song. Every time I hear a song, I if it has a video, I have to watch it like it's just it's there for a reason. They put effort into directing the video, editing the colors, the palette and mood bore.
Speaker 5: Everything is for a reason. I always say that.
Speaker 2: No, it's true. It's like your eye has to be trained.
Speaker 4: You watch it multiple times cause you're like looking for you know, not to like again give a Taylor Swift reference, but you're looking for the Easter eggs throughout the video and it's so fun to uncover that. Now we're talking about Selena's new song, but I want to take us back to recap.
Speaker 2: What are each of your favorite Selena songs?
Speaker 5: All of them?
Speaker 2: Danny, I love you?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to go calm down. I just I love it. I love it. I love that song so much, Lose you to love Me because that was my like it still is my relationship thing.
Speaker 1: Like I have to hear it all.
Speaker 2: The time, you know, some shit beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: And my number one favorite song that she's ever came out with is called who Says.
Speaker 5: Oh My God, ever ever.
Speaker 3: Ever ever on on planet Earth a kit like ever. It's my favorite song on a planet. Who says? That's it?
Speaker 1: That's me, Danny, Who's you?
Speaker 5: Okay? I have to say love your like a love song. Yeah, that's just the classic I love song. Baby.
Speaker 2: It's like such an easy beat.
Speaker 5: I just I grew up to that, So I love that song. I just love it.
Speaker 6: I still have it on my favorite playlist. I also love Killing with Kindness. I feel like that was like a whole new vibe era of her of like always give kindness and that has stuck up with me for the entire way of.
Speaker 5: I just love her so much.
Speaker 6: And also I mean, of course, the heart wants what it wants.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you guys picked such good ones.
Speaker 1: Oh god, what are you gonna say? What are yours? No?
Speaker 2: No, no no.
Speaker 4: I mean going last is obviously the worst position because you've already actually named two of my three.
Speaker 2: So Joseph, lose you to love me? I agree.
Speaker 4: Speaking of videos, I love that video. I cry when I watch that. I think it's such a beautiful song. It's raw, it's Selena. I also love her voice on that on that particular track, love You Like a Love Song, It's just there. It does not get more classic Selena than that. And then I'm going to pick another one, which you guys did not name, is Same Old Love. And I'll tell you why. I got to listen to her soundcheck on that song on Jimmy Fallen. Oh my god, Yes, Joseph, when we worked at E News, she sang that song. She did Same Old Love, and I got to sneak into the sound check.
Speaker 3: She would sneak in everywhere, Danny, she was always going off limits. She snuck into Bad Bunny's room, and stole his grapes. I'm serious, we have video. Anyways, Wait, she's crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Wait so you were in there? Oh yes.
Speaker 4: In my defense, Danny, the reason that I was able to access these places, including Bad Bunnies dressing room and Selena soundcheck, is that Joseph and I worked on E News across the hall from Jimmy Fallon, So all of these huge stars were coming through on a daily basis and we shared a hallway with them, so it wasn't like I was like putting on a disguise and breaking in. Joseph made me sound like a criminal. I had an NBC so bad.
Speaker 1: Literally you could we could see them. You open the door, You open the door and they're there.
Speaker 5: You sound like a great badic Yah Bunny's.
Speaker 4: So for me, I was like, Wow, I'd never seen her concerts, I'd never seen her perform live, and she was so good and so sweet, and like, I just connected to that song because it's really cool to see someone soundcheck a song like that and watch her. It's not that I don't want to say perfectionism, because I think that has a bad tone, but to see how professional she was and how every single thing she wanted to check off the list. She took it so seriously and I was like, Wow, she is a fucking pro. I love this girl like I love her and the song killed it that night, and I remember watching the show being like she performed it better than in soundcheck, like she's she's amazing. So that's those are my three top favorite Selena songs, which we have a lot of crossover on.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I do want to get to Bruno songs.
Speaker 4: Because he has a vast catalog, not a new catalog, but a vast catalog. So I'm gonna go to Danny first, top three Bruno Mars songs just the way you are.
Speaker 5: Of course, I have a lot I don't.
Speaker 6: I have treasure, of course, and I'm between the Lacy song, m H and Uptown Funk. I'm between those, but I'm gonna say the lazy song.
Speaker 2: The lazy song.
Speaker 1: Is simple.
Speaker 3: I'm only gonna do one Bruno Mars song. It's Lucked out of Heaven. That's it, just one. That's what I give.
Speaker 1: That's all I have for the.
Speaker 3: Your list is going to go on, just like Danny was trying to flip fit in four, so give us too.
Speaker 2: I mean I'll give you a stree Okay. Versace on the floor.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yes, like take off all my clothes. That is like I hate again another word, panty dropper. I hate that word. I hate that love that word. How am I not surprised that Joseph Garriol loves the term panty dropper. Versace on the floor. It's sensual, it's sexy, it's giving like a.
Speaker 5: Whole amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Another song that I think people overlook all the time and again to me like a masterful song is Runaway Baby.
Speaker 2: He sang it at the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: It's a full orchestra, the band is dancing, he's dancing.
Speaker 2: He slows it down, he builds it up.
Speaker 4: He shows you, like how important is cadence in a song timing like it's to me.
Speaker 2: That's like so good.
Speaker 4: And then I love Treasure because my son sings it and like forever for the rest of my life. Anytime I hear it, I'm just going to think of like Santi's little voice in his car seat singing Treasure in the backseat.
Speaker 2: He goes, that is what you are, Golden Star. Record it well, Danny, before we let you go, I want you to like, put your thinking cap on your fan hat on. What do you think the future holds for Bruno and Selena?
Speaker 6: Hopefully I want to hear more songs from Bruno Mars. I miss his songs even though I listen to them probably on the daily, but I miss I want more songs, So hopefully that and for Selena, I really hope.
Speaker 5: I just I prayed to the gods that.
Speaker 6: She maybe puts on some type of concert for I know it's just like a long shot, okay.
Speaker 5: But hear me out.
Speaker 6: I really wish she would just put on a concert with her new single, but also sing in her old songs. Now that I think about it, that is a lot of pressure. I just need her to sing live. I just I just need her to sing live. I didn't need to go see her because when I was a kid, I would I wouldn't beg my parents be like, please, can I go to a concert? My parents were like, concerts are dangerous for little kids.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, well, I'm about to put something out there that I think would be so major.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just speak it into existence.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: We know that Shakira is being honored at the VMA's. Wouldn't it be amazing to hear Selina sing a Shakira song, introducing Shakira, them duet together.
Speaker 2: And then have Shakira take it from her.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, how in the world did you even just think of that right now? Or have you been marinating on that? Because that is fucking wild and genius at the same time.
Speaker 2: Uh No, that just came to me and Danny's right.
Speaker 4: We haven't heard Selena sing live in a long time, and what better way to honor another fellow Latina icon like Shakier than at the VMA's.
Speaker 2: I'm just setting the state.
Speaker 4: I don't have any insight, I don't have intel, but listen, when you speak things into existence magic.
Speaker 6: Please and yes magic manifest it, manifest it.
Speaker 4: So Danny, thank you so much for being here. We love chatting with you guys, and if you want more from Danny, make sure you check out her.
Speaker 2: Esthas Rika podcast.
Speaker 4: We of course also want to say thank you to you guys for listening.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you for listening, for reviewing, sharing, and supporting becoming an Icon.
Speaker 1: Hey, and stay tuned for our next icon.
Speaker 4: On the next Becoming an Icon. We know a lot of you have been waiting for this very moment, and trust we have the DMS to prove it.
Speaker 1: He is the moment and we're discussing it all.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's time to talk about everything surrounding the legendary Mark.
Speaker 3: Anthony and how he went from a Latin freestyle vocalist to a change maker in the SATSA scene.
Speaker 4: Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart's Michael dudda podcast network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast