Speaker 1: The wustaria ramos como familia or familiar city alien mazarandi. What would you like us as your family to know or families that have an elder to know?
Speaker 2: Comosa. I said that.
Speaker 3: That they treat them with all the love in their hearts. Yes, we may be old, but we feel and not that just because we are at this age in life, we don't have feelings.
Speaker 1: Welcome to when You're Invisible. My name is Maria Fernanda. Yes, but I know not everyone can roll there are, so it's fine to call me Maria. When You're Invisible is mind love letter to the working class and others who are seemingly invisible in our society. I hope to build a community here that will inspire you to have generous conversations with others that are different from you, conversations that might help you see life in an entirely different way.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Claudia Boso de Diez. I am Maria's mother.
Speaker 1: You might remember my mom from our first season of When You're Invisible. She came on with my dad to talk about their immigration journey and their thoughts on Latini.
Speaker 3: Dads and hello to everybody again today.
Speaker 1: Though she's actually not here to be interviewed. She's here to help translate for her mom, Ma Avuela. She only speaks Spanish, but I really wanted all our listeners to be able to hear her story.
Speaker 2: So you Rosena my Coats.
Speaker 3: So I am Rosina my Coat. I am eighty eight years old, and I am the grandmother of these girl.
Speaker 1: You're getting three generations of women today. So it's definitely going to be intimate and silly and heartfelt, and I'm so excited to share it with you. My mom is going to do some direct translation, and at other times she'll summarize what mya boy lies saying. Will also reflect together and Rosa Aina's experiences and how her beliefs about the world have impacted our own. How do you feel about translating for your mom?
Speaker 3: It will be interesting And I don't know how accurate times and hs and things like that are coming out on her interview, because as we all know, as we get old remembering, things could be a little bit different or change. But the most important thing for me is that you heard her voice and her own story as it is in her own mind.
Speaker 1: Right now, me and my grandmother have a great relationship We're very different from each other, but we've always been close. One of the things that I think bonds us is our playfulness. We are both always willing to laugh, and I grew up alongside her. She lived with my family for three to six months every year, and you'll hear how close we are in our conversation. We may not translate every time she calls me mirrena.
Speaker 3: H.
Speaker 1: The list goes on. She's always using terms of endearment to talk to me, and these phrases mean my queen, divinity, beauty, basically, all the beautiful things that you would say to someone you love, we say in Spanish. I always feel her love that way. But as close and loving of a relationship as we have, there are many things we haven't talked about before. Sometimes she can seem like this silly, sweet old woman, and maybe her full humanity goes and see there's more to unpack. I assume a lot of grandmother granddaughter relationships are like this. Your grandmother probably isn't the first person you can finde in about dating or sex, or how you should dress or wear your makeup. If she is, that's awesome. My grandmother, however, does have very traditional ideas and sometimes that's been a source of conflict between us. But I wanted to use this interview as a chance to push our relationship, to ask her questions I've never asked before. So let's get into this intergenerational episode camera. What memory do you have of me?
Speaker 3: Of you? Uh? Huh, any man?
Speaker 1: But which ones stand out?
Speaker 3: I think she's remembering if you experienced with you like the corner apartment of Cornell. Yeah, they had here right next to it, and you coming down the tricycles, your hair blow back by the way, yes allah, Or when we took you to the fair and you made her ride all the rides see, or even when several times during the summer will take you to Cornell ice cream and how meticulous you were eating your cone, comparably with your brother that will have stains of chocolate all over his face.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that some of her fondest memory is involved dessert. No matter her age, or her health or what's happening in life, her sweet teeth always helps her find a bright spot. Rosana Francisco and me, we were like the three Musketeers growing up. A short Mexican woman with no English and her two tiny grandchildren. We'd go exploring with her when my parents were working, whether it would be to the library or sledding, or she'd also go on bigger adventures like road trips with the whole family, whether we were living in student housing in waterfall filled Ehica, New York, or in an apartment or a duplex, or later a house in freezing but beautiful Minnesota, or in rural Georgia with its breath taking sunsets through it all. Maya Buela has been a long for the ride. Having her stay with us has been for as long as I can remember. I believe my grandmother was in her fifties when that started, right, Mom.
Speaker 3: Yes, she was fifty six when she came towards the first time.
Speaker 1: Not all the apartments we lived in had two rooms for me and my brother, so sometimes my grandmother would stay in the living room or the basement, or when we did have to either she'd have one of our rooms or she'd share with me.
Speaker 3: That before I was in a little house that belonged to my brother, and when I went to Rekaia the four of my kids, Mom, what do you want to do in the house you have? You will have to pay rent, electricity, water, telephone, everything, all the services. With those you can spend a season with each of us and that's it. You won't have to worry. And that's how it's started. So I knew all of your grandchildren as.
Speaker 2: Newborns presents.
Speaker 1: And did you want to do that or no?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Actor, well, I mean yes, I agree because it was a realistic and a good agreement. You understand me. But I would have wanted to have my small.
Speaker 2: House nor those cases aficat right now.
Speaker 1: It was the right decision, but of course it was a big adjustment, especially because she'd be going between three different cities in a year, not to mention two different countries. When do you feel invisible.
Speaker 3: When everyone here is s tucking in English?
Speaker 1: Mayauila never really learned English. There were times when we would encourage it or try to teach her. Mostly though my family would communicate in Spanish, but of course sometimes we'd host people who spoke English. And now my brother is Maryton, American who only speaks English. On these occasions I try to translate, but she feels bad that we even have to. When do you feel most visible.
Speaker 3: On birthdays in Mexico and Pristmas New Year's Eves. Really everyone's birthdays here too, but only when they speak to me.
Speaker 1: Fast for Maya Boila Spanish is her comfort zone. This is where she feels seen. It's a little weird to hear that she feels most visible when she's not at my family home, but that's her truth. Personally, I've been in situations where I'm communicating across a language barrier, and I do think it's possible to have real moments of connection even if you don't share a language. But visibility is complex, and sometimes it truly is in the eye of the beholder or the beheld. After the break, we're going to dive deeper into Roseana's belief system, including ideas we may not agree on.
Speaker 4: Will be right back, Welcome back.
Speaker 1: To when You're invisible. When I think about Rosayana, there are two more obvious sides to her. There's the one side of my boy lad that is joyful and silly and love sell librating, and then there's another side, the one that's very conforming, risk adverse, and more judgmental. One way I see this side come out is how she views appearance, no matter where my aila is, how many people she knows or what she's going through. She always looks beyond put together. It's different than our standard in the US. People think my grandmother is dressed for a wedding or a formal event. That's the Mexican standard we're talking about here. My grandma always needs to be made up before anyone comes over to visit or she leaves the house, even if it's just to the grocery store. She curls her short hair and dons one of her signature lip colors, pink or orange. We don't see Eida eye on these things. If it were up to my Aboila, I would be in a dress with heels and makeup every day and spoiler.
Speaker 4: Alone, listeners, that's not me.
Speaker 1: Some of the greatest pressure from her I faced growing up was to look nice, meaning ladylike and hyper feminine. It's something that I've really had to figure out, and it's one of the reasons I'm grateful to have two cultures and be a part of a younger generation because it's created space to question what I want for myself, space that I'm not sure Mayaboila ever had, and that's something I wanted to make room for in our conversation Sempres, You've always been like this, always put together, you know, made up. You've always painted your lips, your eyes, have your hair done, the works, made up, same flaty coming.
Speaker 3: Yes. Around sixteen lighteen, I went to work when I had to go very well groove together.
Speaker 1: But even now, for example, with age, that hasn't changed.
Speaker 3: I know, am I going to go without makeup? Well?
Speaker 1: There are people who stop as they get older.
Speaker 3: I would die without looking put together.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious. Do you feel confident in your own skin?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: To me, it's interesting because for me, you should be able to not wear it and feel good.
Speaker 3: But I like it in this way.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to hear this concept that Mauilla says that, yeah, I'm confident in my own skin, but I would never go outside without makeup. I worked really hard to unpack and understand why I dress and look the way I do. Over the years, I found that I need the freedom to express who I am, however I am in any given day or moment in my life, and I've had to break out of these rigid expectations of womanhood and femininity in more ways than one. What are the differences you noticed between your generation and mine.
Speaker 2: Or a hemp your quest answer? Okay.
Speaker 1: Through all this laughter, my Auila is basically saying that she would never established relations aka have sex. That's what she's hinting at right now, that she would never have dreamed of having sex with my grandfather outside of marriage. And yet me now in this generation, I'm experiencing something very different. I know it's hard for her to be straightforward about this, especially because we don't normally talk about this together. It's just too awkward and taboo. But I figured this is my one chance to find out what she really thought. Would you have liked to have had relations?
Speaker 3: No? I mean it wasn't the norm in my culture because of my religion, part of society that I belong to. Do you understand me today?
Speaker 1: Of course, cultural feelings have shifted, and she knows that, but.
Speaker 3: But I don't love that about my granddaughters.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You have one person and then you experiment have another and then more an experiment. I don't know if you have done it.
Speaker 1: At this point in the interview, Mayo Boila started just naming my cousins and guessing who's had sex. So we're not playing that tape for the sake of their privacy, but my jaw was on the floor. I told her that I sure would hope that by thirty I would have already have had sex. I say things like this at times to challenge her.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, it's a perfect What I do not like is having so many? Why so many?
Speaker 1: Why not so many?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: But literally the question is why why do you think.
Speaker 3: That because I would like it to be for one, not for three, four or five?
Speaker 1: But why Because my Wela speculates that it's because of the religious ideals or concerns about safety that leads to some of her perspectives. There were times when I felt like this conversation was really pushing her, and then I would come up against this wall. I couldn't totally get her to explore this question of why these expectations exist and whether they're unfair to me. It speaks to how rigid the norms were for women when she was growing up, and even how it still is in Mexico. I think my family has held this way of thinking for a long time, and I wasn't sure how she would judge me if I didn't conform to her. Her standards, But does your opinion of me change knowing that I've had sex with more than one person?
Speaker 2: Hey, no, no, it hated to be that.
Speaker 1: It's your life and you know what you do, and I'm happy to perfect then perfect and I know, yeah, I'm very happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah me, Moore, I wouldn't change my love for you depending on that.
Speaker 1: This is the first time I've heard this sentiment and ideas from her. I feel like I thought this was going to be a toss up on how she'd respond, so it was refreshing to hear her say that. My mom also shared her thoughts on the progress that Rosanna has made.
Speaker 3: I think also for her having experience of living with all sung with you guys that you have grown up, you have helped her in many ways change the wage she thought. Right, you have opened her eyes and even our eyes, to a different way of thinking, to a different way of accepting, to a different way of openness.
Speaker 1: Sex and sexuality are complex subjects in many families. Mexico has just within the past decade developed support for gay pride and pride parades and the like. I remember witnessing a change and how sexuality was discussed within my extended family, even within the last few years. And if any of us were gay, would you mind?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I know what to answer.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 3: Well, maybe I wouldn't care because I know it's something from birth.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where we agree.
Speaker 1: This is as far as I would personally go. My grandmother is very kind and accepting, but I've never personally talked openly about my sexuality with most people, let alone most people in my family. Identifying as by would be orgn territory. Being gay feels simpler to most people in my family than seeing sexuality as a spectrum. Do you think that women should be a specific way?
Speaker 3: Everyone is different? You are different from different from your mother, even though you are her daughters.
Speaker 1: And if I don't get married, but if I don't have a partner, what do you worry about me?
Speaker 3: No? No, because you are already fool You are yourself and completely ground since that's why I don't worry. If I have a little worry, I will let you know.
Speaker 1: I think she normally worries about me, But hearing this conversation means a lot that even for a moment, she could hold space for deeper exploration and trust me in my own happiness. We'll be right back. Welcome back to when you're invisible. After talking about our generational differences, I wanted to hear more about the world Maabela grew up in. What were the conditions that shaped this woman who helped trace me.
Speaker 3: My mother was born in Mexico City, but when she was very young, they moved to Monterey. My grandfather had a transportation business, and what I understood is that they were going to open another branch in Monterey, so they moved there. And because she was so young when she moved there, now she considered herself from Monterey Regia Resia. People from Monterey are called Rechia Montanos.
Speaker 1: So Regia for sure. And way for those who don't know, it's a big city that's in a valley of mountains. It's super commercial and it's I think a city where the rich have a rep for being too bougie. Fressa up in this tape, I call her fressa. Fresa literally means strawberry, mom. Can you explain what fressa means?
Speaker 3: For one reason of another, the women from that part of the north are called fressas. We are the bougie of society.
Speaker 1: Especially like wealthy women. Yep, Fressa, and then she responds with that she's not really, she's.
Speaker 3: Half and half because she was born Fressa but went down the hill. My grandparents lost their fortune.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it was growing up that Mayaboila was considered Fresa. It's super interesting how her wealth changed a lot over her lifetime, but starting with when she was young, she had two siblings, lived in a nice house with her two parents. Her mother was a housewife who was given enough money by her husband to not only take care of the house and kids, but to buy jewelry, nice clothes, and even plots of land. Rosina went to a private Catholic school called the Sacred.
Speaker 4: Heart in.
Speaker 1: Her school was very traditional. It was all girls then and they wore uniforms every day.
Speaker 3: And we will walk uphill to get to the school because it was at the top of a mountain. It was a very old school and we will walk there to the top or take the car there. I remember back then that there was an ice cream car which will come and we will buy popsicles from the man that brought the ice cream. While we were at school, we will hear the ice cream bells and everyone will look out, and he had to throw the popsicles up to us.
Speaker 1: Here is another cour dessert memory, of course, one of her most cherished recollections from childhood. It would be about popsicles. Yes, yes, what did you do for fun?
Speaker 3: No, we had a very wholesome fun. We had fun with roller skaters and bicycles. We all went to the movies. We will hang out on my house. We were friends from the same neighborhood. Okay, the girls formed a clue, the Club twenty one because they were twenty one girls.
Speaker 1: This club of twenty one girls started at Catholic school when they were ten years old and it lasted until until now.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am eighty eight right now, and we still get together, sometimes not as frequent because some have lost their memory or they cannot move very well.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I've heard about this group of friends before. It's part of the myth and the zegeist of the life of my grandmother because all of these women, as they got married, became an even bigger group. Actually didn't know the origin stories of Club twenty one, and it's really impressive and beautiful to me. They've been friends for seventy eight plus years. This is rare, but honestly, I hope I get that where I have friends who have had for most of my life and care deeply about.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know, Maria, but that club may possy our wedding reception, your dad's and that really yes, without them, we had not had a wedding reception. Wow.
Speaker 1: So these women really were like almost like twenty twenty one fairy godmothers to each other's families.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, the wedding was held in one of their houses, in that beautiful garden they decorated. They did amazing work through friendship. Yeah, looking after each other and each other's family if it was necessary.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful because I think we as a family carry that legacy on. I think of my cousin Daniels Kintana. We decorated and baked everything for her party. It's almost like we continued this beautiful tradition that these women created. So how were you raised?
Speaker 3: They raised me a little strictly in that everything had to be done the right way. Nothing about arriving at midnight from a date or gathering no way.
Speaker 2: A long day.
Speaker 1: My Willa says. The good thing is they would hang out at her friend's houses or a lot of the time at her house. It wasn't about going out out. They never went to clubs. My Willa was surrounded by strict rules and a deep concern for what was proper. And you can see how all this translates back to the beliefs about women and femininity that she raised me with. Wealth wasn't necessarily freedom, and even though appearance mattered so much in the world she came up in, by the time she was a young woman, a lot had changed for her and her family.
Speaker 3: I think my mom was around nineteen years old when they lost their fortune. What I understand is that my grandfather had a business partner and made him, or not make him, but he allow himself to sign some paper for a very bad business did made him be the only one responsible for that deal, so he lost everything.
Speaker 1: Things changed virtually overnight. Rosana's mother had to sell the plts of landa she bought and many of her possessions to help her husband. And of course, my grandmother had a certain vision of her life before this, and it didn't involve having a job.
Speaker 3: When she had to start looking for jobs, cousins of her said, you know what, Rosita, I will take you to an engineer that I know that have jobs that right, So I thought was that she could work with the engineer at her as his secretary, and she head out to meet him. He was the owner of a large construction company. I guess it was the first construction company in Monterey.
Speaker 1: Was terrified to start this job though she had no idea what to expect. She had to take a test first and really didn't know what to do. But she got the job and she succeeded. She started from the bottom, but because she was really good at math, she worked her way up and became the secretary of the head engineer, the owner of the company. And how long did you work there?
Speaker 3: For? Seven years? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, you made your own money.
Speaker 2: Cci.
Speaker 1: Actually, though my grandmother was never paid directly, the money she earned went to her parents because women couldn't even have their own accounts at this point, which is crazy to think about. Women were just expected to be at home under their father's roofs until they got married.
Speaker 3: I got married at twenty five, and it was when I left and stopped working.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you know that when you got married you were going to stop working?
Speaker 3: Passing because Fernando, my husband, told me I will no longer.
Speaker 1: Work And how did you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't feel liberated because I was very comfortable. I was already the lead engineer secretary, and it made me sad because I got along very well with all of the engineers and the staff maintains.
Speaker 1: Again, here's the point where my grandmother's lifestyle and class status is changing dramatically, and all of a sudden, I am sad that she had to give up one good thing for another. But this is what marriage meant at the time, and luckily there was a happy one. Tell us the story of how you met.
Speaker 3: A friend of mine was hosting a party at her house and another friend of mine tells me, fro Sienna, let's go. But I had to invite someone, so I told her, No.
Speaker 1: You needed to write someone. You cann't go along.
Speaker 3: No, we all required to go with someone.
Speaker 1: So that's another difference between my time and yours. I don't need a plus one to attend an event.
Speaker 3: I did. Oh yes. Then she tells me, look, my boyfriend. He lives in a boarding house, and at the boarding house is a boy who is from Mexico City. I can invite him for you. I say, well, but with one condition. I will look through the window and if I like him, I will go out. But if I don't, you will tell him that I got sick. Okay, Well, then the time comes for the dance and Fernando gets out of the car, goes up the two steps to the front door. He stops at the window and I see him.
Speaker 2: Maria's a.
Speaker 3: Fernande. I shot up weekly and decided immediately he was very handsome, very handsome, very handsome.
Speaker 1: What Mayauilla literally says is that she shot out like a cork of a champagne bottle, which is so beautiful and accurate for this moment of immediate love and celebration. They got married and had four kids, including my mom of course the eldest, and after five years of living together in Monterrey, they moved to Mexico City. But just a few months after moving to embark on a new chapter of their lives, as she was still unpacking boxes, her husband Fernando passed away.
Speaker 3: I was thirty one and your grandfather was thirty three.
Speaker 1: So at my age you were already a widow.
Speaker 3: Thirty one years old and with four children.
Speaker 1: How did he die.
Speaker 2: Das senamo Mndrico de Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Tragically. Fernando died in the middle of the night on New Year's Eve. My grandmother says she went running into the street for help, you know, barefoot and wearing only a nightgown. People thought she was crazy. By the time she came back with help, though, it was too late, and it was.
Speaker 3: Very, very painful. Even up until now, there are many things that I do not remember. After your grandfather's death.
Speaker 1: And it's shortly after his death, her parents convinced her to move back to montetheree.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, they went to the funeral, and yes, immediately after he passed, we pack everything and we moved back to their home.
Speaker 1: So Senna and the kids returned to Monterey to be with her family and friends. They moved into my great grandparents' apartment. They lived all together in a small home above a shop.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine how many we were seven people in two bedroom a very large bedroom apartment, but just two Yeah, so it was just the four girls in one bedroom and my grandfather, grandmother and my brother in the other one.
Speaker 1: Through the darkness, my grandmother still thought to provide the best for her kids. Then yes, I suspect that did you have expectations for your children?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 3: Okay, like what well? I want them to grow up with ambition.
Speaker 2: To causuon brote, moral and intel education.
Speaker 1: Even though she had no money, she allowed herself to be vulnerable and asked her community for help. They came through.
Speaker 3: So I tried by all means to get them educated in good schools, which scholarship. One of my friends from the club twenty one, she's just a beautiful woman. She paid for all of Fernando's my son in primari and secondary school. Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that public schools in Mexico are not really an option and the way that they are here. Her son received a donation for his education. For her daughters, she found support in getting them scholarships. As a single mother of four, she also joined the workforce.
Speaker 3: A friend of the family had a junior store and said, Rosita, why don't you come and work with me? Loness, I had to work from Monday through Sara from nine am until seven point thirty at night, with one hour lunch break. So when I got home, I will just tell the kids, let me just rest for fifteen minutes and I will be with you. I rested for fifteen minutes and I was with us.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what your mam was like during this time?
Speaker 3: You know she had to work right. So Sundays will be the joyful locations for us as a family. We will take the Boss, the city Boss, the four of us and we'll meet her at the jewelry store from where she asked permission, and we will all go to our coffee shop and ask for the chocolate cake. So chocolate cake has a sweet memory for the five Boss.
Speaker 1: Do you remember her as happy during this time or do you feel like she was more solemn? What was she like comparatively?
Speaker 3: Definitely, sometimes she will lose herself in another place and like become solemn, as you say, But I have good memories of her. Something that characterized your grandmother, and you know that is a woman with a big smile. Everybody that missed her said that it's like a walking heart, really, you know, with a huge heart.
Speaker 1: Taking the time to look back at my grandmother's life. She really has been through so much hardship, and yeah, it's amazing to hear aunt witness her warmth and kindness. For that, I'm so grateful. We'll be right back, and we're back. This episode has become so many things, but one of the first reasons I wanted to sit down with an elder was because I wanted to address that caretaking, which we don't often deal with and at times it makes people feel invisible. It's something I've actually heard my will say that as you lose faculties, people start disregarding you. What has it been like getting older?
Speaker 3: I guess I am happy. I am happy because I see what I have had a hand in building all around me. Do you do you understand me? And I feel blessed?
Speaker 1: What are the biggest changes and.
Speaker 3: The wrinkles that I see in the mirror? Since I am a little bit bay and I see myself with more and more and more. You don't like that, well, I guess they come from lots of experiences, good experiences too, so that's why it's okay.
Speaker 1: Since Mexican culture is one that takes care of its elders at home, this is a particularly beautiful moment to me to hear what it's like from the inside, because with aging and relationships and family, it's a complicated dance of respect, love and yet the stress that comes with it. It was a little jarring to recognize how pervasive nursing homes are in the US, and strange for me to hear that young people don't see their grandparents very often any either, situation, responsibility, finances, and bandwidth are huge considerations. It's not easy to talk directly about these things, or about dignity, loneliness, or the fear of being a burden. Do you like that you're still with your family or would you prefer retirement home?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, no no. I am happy to be with family because I see them every time. I can't how they have evolved, how they feel, their marriage, their partners, their thinking, their jobs.
Speaker 1: What do you think of nursing homes?
Speaker 3: I don't like them. I mean it depends on the nursing home, Like if you know people who are there, then maybe it will be okay. But also I have always gotten along with everyone, so there's such chance that I will have been okay with being at one. But thinking about it, I wouldn't like to be in one of them.
Speaker 1: Don't you like about them?
Speaker 3: They seem cold to me.
Speaker 1: For my mom, taking care of a parent who is a good parent is something she feels is a natural responsibility and part of life when.
Speaker 3: You have had a parent like my When I asked her at one time, why do you get married again, she said, because I lost the love of my life and after losing him, I became a mother first. Yeah, no longer a woman. That why for me is an honor to be able to take care of her.
Speaker 1: This responsibility has intensified over time as my grandmother has gotten older, and in the last few years she's needed more medical care and even been hospitalized more than once. Her children have all chipped in to pay for the care she needs and to provide it themselves. Yet even when she's healthy, Rosaina talks about life as if it's ended.
Speaker 4: For the past ten.
Speaker 1: Years, my grandmother has been so aware of her aging that she's been assuming that she would die every single year. She literally cries about it every time we say goodbye.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much.
Speaker 1: Become a running joke. And what do you think about your life? Like, for example, for the last ten years, you've been saying that, like, this is the end, that you're going to die this year, I always say that, yeah, that this is the last time you're going to see me.
Speaker 3: Because who knows. I thought that maybe the girl who was going to take me, but no, from what I see, he already put in a peacemaker for another ten years.
Speaker 2: So here I am is he story.
Speaker 1: The peacemaker that she mentions was put in this past year and when this happened, the doctor literally told her you have another ten to fifteen years to live. And the shock on this woman's face. She literally did not say anything for a full minute, and I was like, are you okay? And she was like, I need one more second to process. It was amazing and hilarious moment. I'm sure it's a shock. You're in the sunset of your life and then you're like, I have fifteen more miles ago.
Speaker 4: What are you happy about that?
Speaker 3: I'm very happy, but I want a great grandchild. You hurry up or you fuck.
Speaker 1: I love how she talks to me. Sometimes this is the Mexican SaaS coming in, and I love that she feels free to be straight up with these feelings and listeners. By the time this airs, she will have a great grandchild, so her wish will be completed. Congratulations to my brother and his wife on their baby girl. What is your relationship to death?
Speaker 3: Is my companion? Since when? Since I had emergency her. Yes, I said to her, you take me whenever you want to.
Speaker 1: It doesn't scare you.
Speaker 3: I am at peace with God and I am at peace with everyone. Everyone loves me. Bless God. My grandchildress adore me, my children too, my sons in law too, my daughter in law? How much could I ask for?
Speaker 1: Is it hard to lose your friends?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 1: What is the most difficult.
Speaker 3: The junion that we have with them, the drawth that you have having grown since you were little back then, and growing up together because we were all always together. It hurts, It really hurts, and.
Speaker 2: Says see.
Speaker 3: Maya.
Speaker 1: Willa's closest friends have always been the women of club. Twenty one are in nursing homes now, and six of them have passed away. One of them was the Patricia, who was the anonymous owner from my uncle's scholarship which covered his entire schooling. That one hurt a lot because Patricia died while Rosa and I was abroad and she couldn't be there. It broke her heart.
Speaker 5: Common how do you carry the pains.
Speaker 3: With humility? I have to be humble and at ease because I know that they are in heaven.
Speaker 1: Jose, And what was it like to lose your brother and to watch him have Alzheimer's.
Speaker 3: Tremendous, tremendously difficult. I mean I went to see him every night because in the last few months of his illness I already saw it was very bad seeing him with the aggressiveness only sometimes being the man who was so novel and so beautiful affected me deeply. You don't know how much I admire Selvia and thank her. Yeah, Selvia is my uncle's Memo's wife.
Speaker 1: The pain and grief of losing someone is one of the hardest things we carry in our lives. But sometimes, if you're lucky, going through this with another person can bring you closer together. Maiauela and her brother's wife Selvia forged a beautiful friendship in the wake of their loss, and his wife, Selvia has always been way more reserved than Memmo. And now it's really sweet. It's like Selvia and my grandmother have become the best of friends.
Speaker 3: They are like sisters.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, they are like sisters, and it's so cute because they'll play cards together, they'll watch TV together, and to.
Speaker 3: Kia, Alejandra found tas Selvia standing by the door of the bedroom the guest bedroom, and he's Tia, what are you doing? And she said, I'm waiting for Rosianna. Dis Selba is Roseaienna's legs, and Rosienna is t s Selba's mind.
Speaker 1: As they've aged, different parts of them have been going my grandma her legs, my aunt her mind. Together they work as a unit to help guide each other. It's a precious understanding of vulnerability and care. Actually have a video of the two of them. I recorded it a couple of years ago after one of my grandmother's emergency surgeries. She and Selvia hadn't seen each other, and the video captures their reunion. They press their foreheads together and hold each other tight, almost steadying one another. They cry and tell each other how grateful they are to see the other. Sylvia understands Marbuela in a way that I never will, because they share a stage of life and are truly going through it as a team, deeply interconnected. How does it feel to go from a caretaker to being cared for?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel all right because I am old enough.
Speaker 4: She used to be.
Speaker 3: If I were stronger, more inclined to do things myself, more independent, I will feel bad.
Speaker 1: Independent I remember one thing you say sometimes is that you don't want to be a burden.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I mean it. I don't want to be a burden, especially a very long illness. That's why I pray God for not to be in bed for months and months like my o. Their memo was.
Speaker 2: No care.
Speaker 1: It's hard to hear her say that because she's old or fragile, it's okay to be taken care of, as if under any other circumstances it wouldn't be. I know it has more to do with her wanting her independence, but it's still tough. We can't control when or how we need care, and hopefully, if we're lucky, there are people who are willing and able to help us. But it's scary to think of the pain emotional or physical that we might go through or cause others to go through. It's not easy, and I want to acknowledge that whether you're being taken care of or a caretaker, all the fears and feelings are valid. But I also wish that we could ease up on the guilt over something that is so out of our control and so deeply human. What would you say to someone my age.
Speaker 2: Gavi ra romasque fell more. He can respect me.
Speaker 3: To leave as long as you can with happiness, We love and we respect.
Speaker 1: These values happiness, love, respect are so basic, and yet they require daily practice, and sometimes we fail. But if I've learned anything from my grandmother, it's to get up every time you fall again and again and trust that these tenants will help keep her moving forward. It's been an honor for me and my mom to hear and share her story with all of you.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful to listen and translating some of the stories that I already know. The only thing that I can tell you is that I am honored to be her doing because she has lived her life with all the strength that she could, the best the way she could, and always with kindness and a smile.
Speaker 2: On her face.
Speaker 1: I've always known that my grandmother is courageous, and she's been able to adapt to so many challenges, even at times when she's lost everything, including the love of her life. In this conversation, though, I saw that adaptability in a new light. I noticed truly how much she has grown, even if it's been baby steps. She's not the same person she was when I was a kid, pushing myself to ask her new questions showed me that she's been listening to me and actually letting me and my ideas in all these years. It's huge that she was willing to have this honest conversation publicly too. Even if we still don't agree on everything, and we definitely don't, this conversation allowed us to witness each other in new ways. After the interview, in fact, we went and had lunch together and Maya Weila decided to ask me some point blank questions that she's never worked up the courage to ask before. There's this new layer that's now become added to our relationship. Asking hard questions and making space for honest answers is something that I've had to learn and I still practice. It doesn't always happen easy. This season, talking to West Virginia coal miners, a blackmail teacher in Baltimore, an artist with an invisible disability, a teen mom in New York, an indigenous leader, a LATINX trans teen, I was reminded again and again how much people can surprise you. That is, if you're able to set aside assumptions and biases that we all have and actually hold space for a person's owl humanity. Trying to do this, you will make mistakes. I make so many mistakes. Building bridges can sound like such a cliche, and sometimes it is hard to know what that really means. But I think admitting that you don't know is kind of actually the key. It's not just I'm here to build a bridge to you, it's something we actually have to figure out with another person. Let's build a bridge together for us. It's hard work, but I hope listening to these conversations provides a rough roadmap for you to try too. I hope that this podcast shows that the effort can really pay off. If you feel inspired, connected, or curious the season, I hope you'll pass on one of these stories. That's what makes my work worthwhile and what allows me to continue doing it. Thank you so much for listening to When You're Invisible. Please leave us a rating and a review to let us know what you think. You can find this episode and future ones on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. When You're Invisible is a production of iHeart Podcasts and my Podura podcast Network. I'm your creator and host, Maria Fernanda Viees. Our story editor is Dylan Hoyer. This season was produced by Me with additional production from Dylan Hoyer. Sound designed by Me Maria Fernandadiez with additional support from Dylan Hoyer. Mixing and mastering by Laurence Stump. Original theme music by Tony Bruno. Our executive producers are Anna Stump and Gistel Bantes. Special thanks to Pablo Cabrera and Arlene Santana.