Speaker 1: Well, I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: But you're a guest in my home.
Speaker 1: You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no guests, you're presences presents enough and I already had too much stuff.
Speaker 3: So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 2: Welcome to? I said, no gifts. I'm Richard Wineger. You're here, I'm here, We're in the backyard. Had a full morning. I went to the coffee shop. They gave me a sam of a lemon bar mystery flavor. I guess the flavor wrong. I went to Target. Some children laughed at me, And here we are. I'm very, very excited about today's guest, so let's just get into it. It's Liz Stokes from the Baths. Liz. Welcome to. I said, no gifts, Thank you, thank you for having me. You've been doing show is basically non stop since Thursday.
Speaker 3: Tonight we'll be our seventh seventh in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were the three prior to Thursday?
Speaker 3: We played three shows at the Greek Theater up in Berkeley. Oh okay, this is I'm supporting death cab for CUTI in the postal service.
Speaker 2: Right, and one of these Was it Friday that you were doing that show with the Hollywood Ball?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that your first time playing there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was that experience?
Speaker 3: It's wild, Like I had been to one show there and back in twenty nineteen I saw I saw diskcap there. Oh, so it was it's wild, like it's it's such an amazing structure, and yeah, I don't know, it's I think one of the fun things about being a musician is being able to go like into the back rooms of all these like kind of crazy places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on in the back rooms of the Hollywood Ball.
Speaker 3: Like it's pretty classic like backroom venue, Like there's just dressing rooms. It's just kind of a big car park out there, I guess because it's it's mainly like you know, it's an outdoor bowl, right right, So watching the pack out is always very exciting at these menus of all the lights and production and stuff and how it's like this ballet of all the lighting people and everything getting everything off stage and rolling it into these trucks, you know, and they do it all in like an hour, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a circus. That's crazy. As an opening band, is it scary? I feel like that would be horrifying.
Speaker 3: It's always scary going in because like being an opening band on like a big tour is like you are the bottom of the hierarchy. You are. I think I always go in and this is probably also just my own like anxiety is talking. It's like you feel like you go in and you're like cool, I have low expectations. I'm we're going to make ourselves kind of like small, try and have a really good time, you know, and like try and have some nice chats with people and stuff. But we've been lucky in the supporter tos that we've done where the both the crew who you interact with the most and the bands have been super lovely.
Speaker 2: No one's been horrible to you.
Speaker 3: No, No, they've like treated us like people and like peers actually, which is like very very generous.
Speaker 2: Have you had past experiences where you were not treated like a human?
Speaker 3: Um? I think so. Like it's because we've done a lot of support tours in New Zealand, because when bands come to New Zealand, like big bands, they don't they don't usually bring someone with them because it's so far away. So we've like managed to kind of snag some good ones. But generally the bands that we've played with are pretty nice or like the alternative is that you just don't interact them at all.
Speaker 2: So oh interesting, it's just so cold. Yeah, please explain to me how long it takes to get from New Zealand to the United States. This is the one big thing for me that's keeping me back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you don't like flying, it's there's not really another way to fly, say, from Auckland to the to the West Coast, it's like twelve or thirteen hours if you go direct. If you don't go direct, so I don't know, sometimes you'll fly via like whole WI or like Australia or something. Right, but if you yeah, on this run, we this is o last show in LA and then we're going to fly over to New York to do four shows over there, and then we will fly home on this like kind of quite new flight that and New Zealand's got which is New York to Auckland, which is I think about seventeen hours and forty minutes or something like that, just like one flight.
Speaker 2: Oh, how are you as a flyer?
Speaker 3: I'm not like a nervous flyer. I just hate it, like it's yeah, So it's just I feel like you just have to like forget that you're a person for a while and kind of like go into your little economy seat and take whatever drugs you can legally get on the plane.
Speaker 2: And Yeah, I honestly, if they had like anesthesia at the that should be an option at the beginning of a flight for they just put you out completely.
Speaker 3: Just general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that feels like a very doable thing for airlines. Just everyone completely blacked out. Yeah, and then you wake up at your destination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe they still play you like a few movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have movies going in case you come out of a tour in case, Yeah, what are you doing to entertain yourself on a flight?
Speaker 3: I usually watch a movie, Okay, Like I find like a I don't know what's what's like a good plane movie. Like I feel like I feel like.
Speaker 2: A good plane movie is like a good like middle of the road movie that has kind of an emotional element, because I believe you actually are more emotional in the air for some reason, like your body is weak. Yeah, so you'll I've cried at movies on planes that are not great movies. But I think you're just in the perfect place to be manipulated on a plane.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's so, that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what did you watch on the way before your tour? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched the New Spider Verse movie. Oh okay, Yeah it was cool.
Speaker 2: And were you Did you feel emotional during it?
Speaker 3: I didn't, but like I'm I'm a bit medicated at the moment, so I'm not feel like super emotional all the time. Otherwise I think I'd be crying constantly during the during this tour. But and I guess on planes. But I really liked it. I thought the the beautiful really.
Speaker 2: Really really interesting popping out. How long have you been on tour for this tour?
Speaker 3: This run? We're about what three weeks? And I guess it's just just over. This is a this is a short run for us. We'll be home in under a month, as in the whole things under a month.
Speaker 2: And how many shows total?
Speaker 3: Is that? Oh? Good question? Let me quickly cut them in my head.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to estimate it.
Speaker 3: Then you reveal, I don't know, like seventeen twenty seventeen, maybe that's a lot of that we've ticked over. Our hundredth show, of the year. I think, oh my god, on this run, I can't remember which one it was.
Speaker 2: But have any cities been highlights for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Seattle shows with Death Gad, we're pretty we're pretty awesome. Like them playing this like twenty year anniversary of two of their records. Sorry, we're in one postal service record. And it's just like them playing like two full arena sized shows. I don't think I've played like an arena like that big. It's a lot of people in an indoor space. Yes, over the top of like the hockey ice was out, so they just like they cover it with like kind of like foam to keep it, to keep it icy.
Speaker 2: I feel like keeping the ice there is not a bad idea. Ice skatering out's probably a hassle, right, Yeah, it would be wonderful. Actually, I feel like Frank Ocean tried that at Coachella and there was a giant problem. I feel like he had like ice on the stage and trained like ice skaters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Can't maybe they couldn't keep the ice cold or now I'm now I'm just making things up because I don't know the rest of the story. But it was a giant disaster. Oh, but somebody's got to pull that off at some point.
Speaker 3: Hanging out. Yeah, having ice on stage sounds great if you don't have to step on any guitar peddles or move if you're not one of the ice skaters.
Speaker 2: Stepping on a guitar pedal in an ice skate, Yeah, skating experience.
Speaker 3: It's a great way to slice it in half.
Speaker 2: You guys put on like a show show you have a giant fish on the stage. Who was responsible for the giant fish?
Speaker 3: So Lily Paris West. She did all the design for our album and when I like sent her an early vision of the album, and I was like, because I'm not, I don't this is stupid. I don't really consider like I don't have much of like a visual like you. I feel like, yeah, I feel like when it comes to artwork and stuff like that, I tend to like try and work with people that are really like what they do because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Good for you relinquishing control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love relinquishing control. But it's amazing. And she's done lots of lots of records and much more like fashion stuff, and so she just like sent us like a bunch of like mockups of like potential album cover of things, and one of them just had this really sad fish and it just I don't know stuff with faces like, I just can't. It's I find very hard to not have an album cover with a face on it because it's so all like a human element something to connect to. Yeah, it just looks so they just look so sad fish. And so we were getting ready for this tour at the start of the year, I'm like, we should have something on stage because just to kind of like bring people into into into the world of whatever you're doing. And and a giant inflatable fish seemed like just the thing.
Speaker 2: Is it made out of like balloon material? What's happening there?
Speaker 3: It's like fabric, but it's like it operates kind of like a bouncy house, Like it's got a fan that keeps going through the whole time, or it will or it will. It's not like fully air tight, which I feel it would be. If it depended on being one hundred percent air tight, it would be a disaster at.
Speaker 2: Some point or something would happen. When was the last time you were in a bouncy house.
Speaker 3: Oh man, too long, it's been It's been years for sure. What was last same you're in a bounty house.
Speaker 2: That was an unfair question to ask you because I can't remember. I'm going to assume it's probably been decades. I can't imagine the last I mean a scenario that I would have been in a bouncy house. Yeah, it's probably as a kid, but my mom wouldn't allow us into them because there was some news story where a kid was in one and it flew away.
Speaker 3: That really happened, right, and happened like it's terrified, no joke. Does psa strap down your bouncy house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that must be legally required at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think it makes sense tied down.
Speaker 2: To watch someone just be carried away in one of those Yeah, agony of watching your child just fly away in a bouncy and it's like nothing to grab onto you just fallah the inside, there's no grip or anything, so you're.
Speaker 3: Just Yeah, I think what I remember about bouncy houses. I'm glad that this has come up, because.
Speaker 2: Well, this was I wanted to ask it first, but I thought, well, warm up, then I'll get into bouncy, the real.
Speaker 3: The real shit. I just I don't remember being that them being that bouncy. I mainly remember them being slippery and kind of like a fun place to fall down.
Speaker 2: You're a bouncy house snob. Yeah, you don't have me. Did you like a trampoline?
Speaker 3: I much prefer a trampoline. Okay, And the old style ones, Wait, you're much closer to death.
Speaker 2: What are the are The new ones have like that cage around them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the springs are like not at the side, the springs are like underneath so that you can't put your leg.
Speaker 2: Through those springs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Were death traps, Oh, death traps? Yeah, they were like metal. They had hooks on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've gone flying off a trampoline and landed on like, oh my head and been alive somehow as a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was another thing that I had to kind of sneak as a kid because my mom was just paranoid about every injury. So it was often like I went to a friend's house and then didn't reveal that I was on the trampoline, and then they started putting them in the ground. Yeah, like that was fittis inherently dangerous.
Speaker 3: Thing.
Speaker 2: Just don't buy one.
Speaker 3: Just like I don't know. Kids they got to jump. They got to jump, and if you don't give them the opportunity to jump at home, they'll got I was to jump when.
Speaker 2: Don't see them jumping at home?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you rather they do it in the house?
Speaker 2: That and drugs just have them doing it at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that we're talking about jumping, I really feel like bouncing. I feel like there's probably more bouncing I want to do than I actually get to do.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's why there's on these adult jumping that. There's probably a better name than for them than jump house adult trampoline emporiums.
Speaker 2: Oh like the warehouses with the trampolines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't. There's one in Auckland called m Nope, I can't remember. I'm gonna call it jump house, but it's.
Speaker 2: Well, you should start one. It's your jump house.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they make it safer, but they look like they're serious trampolines, like with with good bounce. Oh, they really get you to the ceiling. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like New Zealand loves to jump and bounce because isn't bungee jumping. It's like a national pastime.
Speaker 3: It kind of I guess it kind of is like it's I don't want to say it was invented there because I think it was probably just co opted by from like like some kind of indigenous culture, but it's uh yeah, I guess A. J. Hackett's like the New Zealand guy who like jumps off stuff just anything popularized it. Yeah, he likes. He's like bungee jumping the business now and like owns all the all the jumping off points.
Speaker 2: And do you I know you bungee jump in a video?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Had you been bungee jumping prior to that?
Speaker 3: I had bungee jumped when I was like thirteen or something, because I guess it's New Zealand. It was like, oh, we're going on a family holiday to Lake Top or should we should we bungee jump? And it was I went by myself and then my older sister and younger sister went like tandem like you know, like uh koala on the back kind of vibes and it's this, this is so great. It's like it was one of those ones where you're going over water, so you bounce and they like wigh you to figure out how tense to make the string, to make it so you can touch the water but not oh my die. And so I did that and then like when in the they kind of like lower you down into this boat. Someone's at the bottom and you grab they hold up a kind of a stick and you kind of like grab the stick so they can guide you into the boat. And my older sister and young sister, two people I guess just said a bit more weight than they I guess anticipated, and so they're still bouncing and the person is down in the boat like holding up the stick, and they grabbed the stick and they just pull them out of the boat and it's like freezing. Like middle went to like you know, New Zealand, beautiful scenic river, but he had to get like kind of saved and then he had to go home because he was very cold.
Speaker 2: This feels like your parents were just trying to get rid of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe they didn't jump suspiciously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you've only been maybe twice then.
Speaker 3: I yeah, yeah, And like as a kid, I was like really scared, but like afterwards I think I was like, oh yeah, this is this was a thrilling. And then we made a music video and we had like a different plan for a music video, but then the director got COVID of course the day before the shoot, and so we just were like, okay, we have this shoot day. We're leaving on tour in a week. We need to make our music video for the song. And we caught our friends Callum and Annabel from Sports Team, who just makes a lot of videos for us, and I just like all about these crazy beautiful ideas and I was like, here are some suggestions, and one of them was just the best go bungee jumping. There's no other concept beyond that. And they were like, okay, let's do it, and we boochered end and we like we jumped like the next day, and they came up with this whole storyline and.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was all hypothetical at first, and until you're actually like walking out and looking over the edge and your brain is like I know that this, I chose this, and that this is safe, safe in quotation marks, and then your body is just like absolutely not. I don't believe that for a second. I am going to die and here we go, let's here we go, We're gonna die.
Speaker 2: And then do they push you. You're responsible for making the final move.
Speaker 3: They never push you.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. Like, and I think I've probably talked about on this podcast before as far as skydiving, I feel like there's some primal thing in me that would overtake and refuse.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I think that's hard to overcome. Right, Do you have to honestly like jump off or fall like there's no other way around, otherwise you just won't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like I would get to the point of like convincing my body, but not enough where it would just become dangerous and then I would injure myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like with skydiving, I would like attack the person that's responsible for me, and then we'd get caught in the propellers or something. And then in the bungee jumping, I would like half jump and then I would like slam against the side. Yeah, I don't know that I'm capable.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's kind of what me and Tristan did, because they tell you, like if you fall nice and strong and you fall like straight down with your head facing down, you like bounce, you know, with the rope and be fine, but if you kind of like let your body fall off, like me interested that you kind of you're going down like horizontal, and then at the bottom when the rope kind of like reaches its its tenshile end, you kind of like snap down. And I like, I think it's not talked enough about. I was googling for days. I was like, what's wrong with me? I think it's there's a little you get a little bit of whiplash from bunge jump or bunch of jumping.
Speaker 2: That is mortifying to me. Yeah, there needs to be more stories out there that things can happen. Yeah, yeah, sort are there any like what are the really bad things that have happened during bungee jumping? Do rope snap? Do these sort of things happen?
Speaker 3: I looked it up before, because of course of course I did. I was like, you know, like there's a bunch jumping staffe, like what are the dangers of it? And yeah, it does. The dangerous stuff happens when people are like, it's not what it's like businesses jumping off of a forty meter bridge. It's like it's like people doing I don't know what to call it, like gerrilla bunch jumping, like the og where you're just like you tie the rope at the top and you jump.
Speaker 2: Right like amateurs just showing up at a bridge or something. Yeah, and that feels like, of course you're going to die.
Speaker 3: It feels that way, But I guess they didn't think.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, I need a company that I that at least my family can sue afterwards. Oh it's not me. Yeah, I'm not letting a friend time me up for bunch you jumping. No, it's that that I should look into the horror stories. And recently I've looked into Lasik eye surgery because everyone raves and goes crazy about it. You have to do it. I don't think I'm going to do it. Do you wear contacts or anything?
Speaker 3: I don't. But I have watched a LASiS surgery because my partner had it.
Speaker 2: You watched it live.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like a viewing room and they have like a big TV that is like what the thing is looking at and I just like watched, I got it. I filmed it because I was like, yeah, you have to watch your ie being like destroyed.
Speaker 2: Good. How was the experience for you?
Speaker 3: It was kind of fun, Like I'm not too squamish about eye stuff. Some people really don't like it, I know. But there's like two kinds of laser, one where you like kind of peel back the top layer of the eye and the blast it with the laser, and the other one where which Jonathan had to get because his his brow ridge was a little bit too pronounced so that they couldn't get the machine down, so they had to like instead like just grind down that top layer, and so it takes a little bit longer to hell, normally takes like a heels in a day and you'd be kind of pretty good. So his one took us slightly longer. But it's a bit that's but the one that pilots getting stuff because it's like a bit safer as well.
Speaker 2: Oh so there is a safer option.
Speaker 3: Well, it just I guess it's just like less risk or something, well safer, that's you. Well, yes, that is exactly the same, meaning, yeah, are you going to are you thinking about getting it?
Speaker 2: Well? No, because I mean now I'm finding like no one told me there was a mildly less risky option, So people were telling me it's great and just sending me in with no their tips.
Speaker 3: Ah, I think. I don't know, it feels like this. It's weather right, Like, I don't know. How bad is your eyesight?
Speaker 2: It's pretty bad. Oh yeah, but we're in contact, isn't that. I mean, starting around eleven o'clock every night, my eyes are completely dry and that's a pain. But other than that, it's better than having my eyes poked out by lasers.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's very fun, but I don't know. I've hash hashtag places I've I've got good vision, thus fine. And the thing is that, you know, I take for granted talking to it my glass friends.
Speaker 2: People with good vision. I mean, I just I've had bad vision since like eighth grade. I just went out on me immediately.
Speaker 3: Do you go out into the ocean? Do you like swimming at the beach?
Speaker 2: Oh? This is something I'm kind of debating with myself currently. Do I like the beach? Do I like the ocean? It's up in the air for me, I need to go a couple more times. I think I like the ocean. I like the beach. I don't like the drive back, And that was excruciating.
Speaker 3: What about it?
Speaker 2: You're like salt water's drying you out, You've got sand all over your body. You're tired. The sun has been beating down on you all day. I am clearly not prepared for sun in any form. You've swallowed some amount of salt water, so that part of it's not ideal. But kind of getting pushed about by the waves, that's very fun.
Speaker 3: It's nice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you like doing it the beach?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I Like I didn't growing up like in New Zealand, like everything is water, Like everything's surrounded by water. Oakland is an isthmus, it's like more water than land. And the rag break bread it's like yeah, yeah, bramer bread, Hey, this is a this is a beach straight then it's just a mere hour drive, but yeah, it's I didn't like. Yeah, when you grow up with it and you're like and I was like, I didn't like the beach. I didn't get it, and I think I don't. I don't think I got it until I was about twenty four and I had my first like a big breakup, and I started just like going to the beach every day and like swimming at night, and just like there was something about it that was just like I don't know, it just it flipped a switch for me. Somehow, and suddenly I was like, I like the beach.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a great place for dramatic moments of your life, I would say, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just it's like it's so vast and like, I don't know, just like completely engulfing yourself in this like big giant thing. Were you fair really helpless? Maybe that's just just was just the ticket.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of this wet void. You can kind of just release things too, The wet void, The wet void. That's a that's the title for something. I don't know what exactly. Yeah, maybe my problem is I need to go to the beach at night. Maybe I had be a nocturnal beacher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that is the beach. If it's like a nice calm beach, I guess. I like, I don't. I don't want to be the reason that you disappear, but.
Speaker 2: We need someone to blame when I finally disappear. Yeah, I think up the publicity for you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's through the relief. Yeah, let me suggest this beach with really big waves.
Speaker 2: And you don't need any safety, don't go alone. Yep, I'm into this. I'm into this. I wouldn't mind, like a bonfire by the beach, and then it would probably be cold. The Pacific's very cold.
Speaker 3: We have the Pacific two, but it's right on the other side.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's probably cold over there as well. I assume it's pretty chilly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not. It's not like a I've swum at the Mediterranean. I was very confused. I was like, it's so warm. I don't know, it just it's suspicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something that's the sort of thing where it's just like, where is the what's the source of warmth in any water? Unless it's really hot, you're like something gross might be making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does feel like a little bit gross.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly where were you swimming in the Mediterranean.
Speaker 3: It was in Spain on the east coast, which is where we've spent a little bit of time sometimes when we've been on tours, like even just like super budget once, because flying home to New Zealand, like I say, we have like of six weeks or a month between tours in the Northern Hemisphere is very expensive. Oh my god. And we've managed to find a spot in Spain where we can find like a little place to stay. That's like, I don't know, two hundred and fifty year is like the whole time.
Speaker 2: Reveal that to me off podcast, you're going to go there? That sounds wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's pretty great. And I get to practice my Spanish, which I lunched high school and then never used because you don't really use it in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I learned French, or I mean learned, you know. I can say my name, I mean tell you what my name is, and maybe ask what for the menu when I can say the beach. But these are all things I absolutely have no use for. You took Spanish, yeah, absolutely, nowhere near Spain. Yeah, nowhere near Spanish speaking country in.
Speaker 3: South America either. I'm closest to South America, not close across the Pacific. Again. But yeah, I don't know why I liked the language.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a good language. They're all pretty good. I suppose is there a best language. I don't know that there is. Everybody's got their feelings. Yeah, I probably whatever one, everyone, whatever one you speak.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm real learning Bahasa Indonesian because it's that's where my mum's from and it's born so like have Donesian, but like grew up in New Zealands are very like New Zealand ized, I guess. But we're going on like a family trip soon for the first time in a long long time, and so I was like, well, I want to carry my weight. I'm kind of like getting Bahasa lessens. That's a that's a fun language to learn, an interesting language that's like kind of simple. But because it's simple, it's probably just got all these layers that you you you kind of like of context that you can't see, right. It's like no tenses, so everything is just like there's no past, tense, future, chance, whatever. Everything's just pretty simple. There's like like you barely conjugate anything. Everything's like very uh, I don't know straight ahead you can.
Speaker 2: The words basic elements of like yeah.
Speaker 3: But because of that, I think, yeah, there's all these it's maybe easy to learn to a simple level, but then like much more difficult to kind of write.
Speaker 2: Can you say the sentence like my name is Liz. Let's still practicing.
Speaker 3: Oh no, uh sayah number Lizzy. Like I didn't even know how to say that, right, But I think the thing is in casual Indonesia, it's it's so I love how context based it is, like You don't say, like, my name is Lizzly. You just be like name Lizzie, like or like like you wouldn't even say that, You just be like Lizzy.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, you know, good for them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we say a lot in English.
Speaker 2: What cities you're going to visit while you're there.
Speaker 3: I'm going to visit Manado, which is where my mum's family's from and where my mum's mum is married. So she wants us to go there, and then some and Bali as well.
Speaker 2: What we have family too, wonderful. I've been to Malaysia, which I feel like is as close as all properly because of that flight ever get to Indonesia?
Speaker 3: That was that must have been cool though? How is it?
Speaker 2: Uh? It was? I was on a Mormon mission. I'm ex Mormon. Wow, And so it was a beautiful place and wonderful food and lovely people, but a not good experience. It's pretty negative experience overall, but I would recommend it as a vacation.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: The food's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Did it did you? Did it work?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What did it work?
Speaker 3: Did it? Did I assume missions there about converting.
Speaker 2: About converting other people? Yeah? Somebody asked me that recently, and I don't know that I personally. I hope I didn't. I don't. I wasn't there for the full time. I had a meltdown and went back home because what I've just said. But I hope in that time I didn't convert anybody. Okay, but who knows. It's in my distant past. We're just moving forward, and I apologize to anybody's life who I've thrown off course. Hopefully that reach out to the podcast. I hope they're listening well, I mean, speaking of throwing people's lives off course. I was very excited to have you today on the podcast. I was thrilled. I love your band. I saw you Thursday night. It was so wonderful. It felt kind of creepy seeing you live. Knowing I was going to talk to you today, I was like spying, essentially. But I was a little prize when you pulled up today holding a bag. The podcast is clearly called. I said no gifts, and you've brought what's obviously a gift for me.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, you know, I just don't tell me what to do.
Speaker 2: You know, you're too far into the tour. If you're listening to directions at this point. No exhausted. Okay, that's fair enough. Well should I open it here on the podcast? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I guess so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in this lovely little bag. This is Istanbul. Anna. Did you get this in Istanbul?
Speaker 3: Nope, I got an op shop and like Birmingham was.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, I mean it's gorgeous. I assume you're taking this after the podcast, so I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Be very careful.
Speaker 2: Well, negotiat, we'll get in a fight, that's what we do. I'm gonna unzip here hopefully we've got a little of that on the mic. I'm reaching in pulling out. Oh, this is lovely. This is a little what I assume a bracelet or if your neck is small enough, a choker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: It's got like a little alien charm and like a little pineapple charm and some letters. But what did the letters? Did they spell something?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Was the podcast n GF as well? No? No? Oh no? Wait does it say no gifts?
Speaker 3: Impress? No gifts?
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Did you make this?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I googled small bracelet, alien charm, no gifts and nothing came up, so I had to I had to go ahead, and.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that was a huge fad in the early thousands, So all those businesses are gone, the bubble bursts, and now you've got to make them yourself. Are you a crafty person?
Speaker 3: A little? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What sort of crafts are you getting into?
Speaker 3: I do a bit of sewing, and like, I guess I've been making small bracelets. That's just a recent thing because people have been making them for us and I've been like, ah, I think you're into trade.
Speaker 2: Then oh that's very sweet.
Speaker 3: And so it's been. It's been nice, very soothing, and you can really see your progress. My friend got me into into beating and making bracelets. But yeah, I'm super casual.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and where you're getting all the little beads and charms.
Speaker 3: Just from I don't know, the internet. It's all plastic. It's terrible. That's yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we're going to have an island made of plastic, it would be nice if it looked like this, very cute.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we're going to destroy the planet, we might as well have it be adorable. Yeah, yeah, okay, so you're making other people are making these for you as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like people. I guess I don't know if the started with Tail Swift, but I mean its people have been coming to shows and they kind of like throw little brace or stage that they've made or something, and I was yeah, and I think I was kind of self conscious. I was like, Oh, we should have some kind of making them and then.
Speaker 2: And are you throwing them back into the audience? Yeah, like fight after them.
Speaker 3: It's like not like occasionally, but mostly it's I feel like it's like a trade, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess this is a pretty nice thing. No one's like getting into fist fights over that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, I mean not that I've seen, but maybe.
Speaker 2: Probably at Taylor Swift shows, I feel like there's the tension is probably a little high. Everyone's energy is very high there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I can imagine she's not allowed to throw anything into the audience. That's I think there will be death.
Speaker 2: There would be blood everywhere. How many of these have you collected from fans at this point?
Speaker 3: A few, like maybe ten. I like, I'm ready for you now. This one says b l j T, which is the initials for of the band. Remember John Tristan and this one says death CAFFCUTI because it was at the Death Cafcutie show.
Speaker 2: Oh very nice. And then the other brace that you're wearing is just something you're purchased.
Speaker 3: Nope, this was also someone gave it to us, but it doesn't say anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, where did the third one come from?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember the shows and icon This.
Speaker 2: Van is bawling right now.
Speaker 3: I'm where I get right every day. Yeah, it's Do you do any any crafting?
Speaker 2: I'm very bad at crafts My mom and my sister are excellent. They both like quilt, they sow, they do I mean, I think within Mormonism that's a big pastime and like I feel like Mormons are just naturally crafty people. But my sister makes beautiful quilts. My mom watercolors and quilts and will sew things. And I the one craft I ever tried, well I was forced to make, was in middle school. They wanted me to make a wind sock. Do you know what that is? One of those fabric tubes that hangs in the wind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you can tell which way the wind is blowing by which direction the sock is pointing.
Speaker 2: Right, I assume that must be the practical purpose. Yeah, but I was so bad at it. It was one of those things where like I was so bad that the teacher genuinely felt bad for me, was like, Oh, he's just not capable. This is not in his skill set, this he can't learn. So I think there was a lot of just doing it for me, and that may have been the end of my craft career. Oh no, I did ceramics in high school as well. Cool, those were hideous. All of mine ended up very ugly.
Speaker 3: I feel like ugly pots all the rage.
Speaker 2: That's true. I feel like that is kind of the trend right now. May kind of a unshapely like something that's.
Speaker 3: Very clearly homemade, you know. It's like that's like it was almost like a status symbol. It's like this bowl wasn't made by a sheet. It was made by terrible human.
Speaker 2: Hands, someone who was paid fairly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly, and they really phoned it. I'm just kidding, but I pay people feeling. But I feel like I got a little bit more because I did it a bit of sewing in high school, but and done it since. But I've bought a sewing machine during the pandemic. I was a bit self conscious because of all the other members of my band. I've just like got all these skills, like Ben does like hand woodworking stuff, like and he's super into making things with wood, and he's built out this little workshop of the years, and Tristan like works on as has got this little Pugio car that he that he works on and like wow. And then Jonathan is really good at like I don't know, like fixing microphones and electronics stuff and things like that. And I was just like, Okay, well, when the apocalypse comes, I'm gonna need to like I need to earn my what can you provide place? And I'm like I could be a bard, I guess, but I should have another skill. So I was like, okay, I'll do some sewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after the apocalypse, you still need to be at least a double threat, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I like put that on my Apocalypse TV.
Speaker 2: So have you gotten better at sewing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What sort of stuff are you sewing?
Speaker 3: I've like made a couple of shirts I've made I've made three shirts and then it was all the same shirt, but just like they I got slightly better each time.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you should make band uniforms. Yeah, now the pressure's on, so, yeah, you have no choice.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to not mix the thing of turning turning my hobby into my into my job, which I've already die a nightmare.
Speaker 2: That's a true nightmare for anyone in entertainment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like it's more useful for being able to like alter stuff and like it kind of opens up op shopping. Sorry you guys call it thrift thrifting, Yeah, thrifting. Yeah, or yeah, before it's like you know, if it's a if it's like nearly good, but you know you can change it a little bit to make it for bitter.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh that's a dream.
Speaker 3: You can shutten things.
Speaker 2: Or because I'll take my like I'll buy something at the thrift shop and take it to the tailor and then it like quadruples and price because the tailor's not cheap. But so I could bring that skill set into my own life. By a sewing machine. I love pushing the pedal. Yeah, I love the thrill of your fingers right next to that dangerous needle.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's a real thrill. Dangerous every year, Like you know, at the school, it was like Oh, you know, there's always one person who gets their nail, you know, obliterated by the sewing needle. In one year, it was my younger sister, so she still got little shots of metal in her finger. It just like it went in broke and then went out and then went back in because it goes quick.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you're bringing a lot of horrible images to the podcast today. The eye being grinded into your sister's finger.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I didn't see this as a pattern, but it clearly is.
Speaker 2: Does she have full use of her finger?
Speaker 3: Yep, she's all good.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Shout out to my younger sister.
Speaker 2: Wow, does she have a full nail there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the whole thing obviously it came off, but it regrew from from scratch. She's a kid. I guess it's pretty malleable.
Speaker 2: That feels like what's that movie series called Final Destination Find where everybody dies a crazy way. They should bring a sewing machine into that, right.
Speaker 3: I feel like you'd have to be doing something pretty unsafe for it to fully kill you. It's one of those like pulled into the sewing it sucked.
Speaker 2: Into the Yeah, maybe you're operating like the world's largest sewing machine and like kind of as a stunt, and it sucks you into the giant which is clearly at this point like a steak jamming into the ground. The whole audience watches you get pounded to death.
Speaker 3: Yea, they make those, They make them full like a Jens sow through Jans You need a really big hole.
Speaker 2: Stories told, it's like one of those What are those things that get oil or are those called Derek's? I want to say they're called Derek's, And if I'm right, I'm gonna be so impressed with myself. Analyst, is the thing that gets oiled called a Derek? Anas doesn't look hopeful? I feel like a Derek is involved in oil somehow. Maybe I just know someone named Derek that it.
Speaker 3: Looked like that kind of go. This is the audio medium. It says that Derek is a support structure that holds the drilling apparatus. So I think it's kind of like good for you, Derek. Yeah right, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's kind of like the bird that gets the water. Right, Yeah, Okay, that's what I was trying to called.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: Are those is that a perpetual motion machine or an example one.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: I'm bringing up a lot of knowledge that i'm or a lot of words that I do not know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of mission to have a lot of questions that we can't answer on this podcast.
Speaker 2: This is why I brought you here. Okay, So I've got this little thing and it's got an alien on it. What's your feeling on aliens.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of feelings for aliens. I guess have you.
Speaker 2: Been following any of the I feel like at the beginning of this year, I said something's gonna happen in space this year, and then something's kind of happened in space, or at least like there were like hearings on aliens, and then there was this guy in Mexico who said he found an alien body, and then everyone was like, no, you didn't, that's clearly not. So maybe we're still waiting for the big space thing to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I feel like I'm a casual so I'll just I'll wait until it's front page news and they'll be like click click on the article and be like, oh, oh aliens, Ah, look at that.
Speaker 2: I kind of I never want us to find aliens, because I think it'll probably be an hour until they're boring.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. Like, I feel like that's why when you were like, oh with aliens, and I was like I was cussed my bay back. I was like, oh, yeah, did we find extraterrestrial life? I feel like there was something to do with like Venus. We found like potential for water on Venus or something like that, and then just like and then I immediately forgot. So it's like it clearly is not as less important to me than right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like if they were discovered, it would probably be like, realistically, thirty six hours of people tweeting about it, and then we would move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess so, and then.
Speaker 2: The mystery is dead. We've learned nothing. Yeah, and there's this another kind of animal on the planet. I don't know. I mean, sure, if aliens are listening, stop by, Yeah, what is that? I don't want to send you back home thinking that we're going to be disappointed, But uh, I do you know, anytime a new species or something discovered, I look at one, pick sure of it, then I'm moving on. Maybe it's just the way I think. Maybe if I was in fourth grade I would be more excited about these sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's nice to have a new friend, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there much alien culture in New Zealand? Are there people like saying and we saw aliens?
Speaker 3: Not really? No, I know it's part of the culture here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's everywhere. I mean, maybe it's just the size of the country and the amount of open space we have for people to just be kind of alone and thinking they saw something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure they could do You do you get alien jollies? I don't know. There's a lat of stuff in America that I guess we don't really have. Like on the way here, we passed so many giant skeletons in people's front yards.
Speaker 2: Oh, the twelve foot ones. Yeah, I just met one yesterday for the first time.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's that was a big person before they, I guess, became a skeleton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone just living their life, doing their thing, and now they're a decoration in someone's yard.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wasn't. I haven't been here I think in a while while around like the lead up to Halloween, and it really ship surprised me the amount of swag, Like I've walked into like an enterprise car Intol and there was just like all this, all this like a fully decorated office, and I was like, this is really this is kind of nice. Like people like who get in costume. They weren't, unfortunately, so I did leave them one star, of.
Speaker 2: Course, and you've got the manager. You're now trying to get them out of business. Yeah, and at least get someone fired put them in.
Speaker 3: A hot dog costume, or I will never utilize your business again.
Speaker 2: I have I think I have a Ketchup costume in the back of my car from last Halloween when I didn't have a costume and I asked a friend to borrow it. Now it appears to just be mine a Ketchup costume. Ketchup. It's like a bag of a packet of Ketchup. You can just slide over your body like a sash. Oh, that's a very nice way to call our trashy little things of Ketchup packet. I think it is what we would call it. Yeah, and they're I mean, extremely wasteful. It's about two inches long and has maybe I don't know, a hundredth of an ounce of Ketchup in there. You have to open fifty of them to have enough single serving.
Speaker 3: But it's good for when you're on the go and you just need a quickly blastom ketchup into your mouth, like a cyclist.
Speaker 2: To de France. Yeah, yeah, every ten miles taking your little ketchups back? Is ketch a big in New Zealand? Is that part of newsance?
Speaker 3: But we call it tomato sauce.
Speaker 2: It's confusing here because then we're thinking about the Italians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's different.
Speaker 2: What do you call an Italian red sauce?
Speaker 3: I don't really know. Yeah, like pomado or I don't know. We've got we've got bollic naise.
Speaker 2: That's delicious with meat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it's not probably not a real thing, but it's a it was big. It was a big grown up.
Speaker 2: That's a delicious sauce. I feel like it's a real thing.
Speaker 3: It's just like mince and tomato sauce and like some sprinkles from the.
Speaker 2: Cabinet oregano or something. Yeah, basil lick, that's a recipe olive oil. So you're calling it tomato sauce, which is a waste of time so quick. Yeah, but we have two different spellings ketchup, for sure, you call it sauce, do you really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow. So if you go to a place that you just want sauce and they know what you're talking about, well yeah.
Speaker 3: If you ordered, say like a cup of hot chips from from the local hotship place, and they were like, do you want sauce, you'd say yes, and then they would just blast it with like a they had a big bottle sauce and they just blust all over the top of the chips. So you'd have like a really goody top of the chips covenant sauce and the bottom of the chips would be completely dry. But that's all part of the experience.
Speaker 2: See, that's I would have a huge problem with the sagi part. Leave it off, let me control have sagi.
Speaker 3: This is in America. It's like you will apply your own dressings to your meals and yeah, and you it's like sometimes you do. Sometimes you just take what they have poured over the top.
Speaker 2: And say thank you. And if someone said the place do you want sauce with that, the amount of things that would go through my mind before I would get to ketch up would it would probably be fifteen things before I thought, oh, they're talking about ketchup ah, I would think about gravy so.
Speaker 3: Much of its context, right, like yes, like, yeah, I guess it's like if I if I gave you a play of meat loaf, it was like, do you want sauce?
Speaker 2: Now that I would be like, but what the meat loaf sauce? What sort of sauce to be putting on your meat loaf?
Speaker 3: I've never really had meat loaft, but like, doesn't mean life have tomato sauce in it?
Speaker 2: Maybe what only? Maybe I'm not familiar with meat loaf enough as ketchup being sauce in it.
Speaker 3: And the Zealand loafs I'm usually bread.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course bread. I feel like the only thing that should be a loaf is bread. The media, the moment meat becomes a loaf, I'm leaving, Yeah, it shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: The form that it came in was not good enough, right, it needs to be able to be sliced, and but do.
Speaker 2: Not compress any meat for me? That's oh, I guess I eat sausage. But it's the word loaf just doesn't sound right to me when when like meat is involved, it's disgusting. We're on the same page there, Absolutely meat loaf, compressed meat, all the things we can talk about. What a life, What a life we're both living. I feel like we should play a game.
Speaker 3: Okay, we would like to play a game. Love games.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 2: Okay. I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. Okay, so right now, you have the microphone. You can promote something, you can recommend something, you can say whatever you want. I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Okay. Wow, it's amazing that you've gotten this far into this podcast that I'm on. My name is Liz, and I play in a band called The Beths, and we play kind of like guitar pop music. I guess yeah. We put out an album last year called Expert in a Dying Field, and we have been on tour this year a lot, and last year pretty constantly.
Speaker 2: And yep, beautiful. I think that's great and the listener should go listen to the band. That's my recommendation for the week. I don't even need to recommend anything else. You're not familiar with The Beths. What a pleasant surprise for the listener. Wow, they're going to be freaking out everybody loves the baths and if you're not already on board, I mean, I don't want to call you a loser, but that may be one of the words on my list. Okay, this is how we play gift. This the gamer plane is called gift or a Curse. So I'm gonna name three things. You're going to tell me if they're a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers.
Speaker 3: You can lose the game, okay, shameful, what do you win?
Speaker 2: Moment of pride?
Speaker 3: I love moment of pride.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. So the first one is from a listener named Karen. Karen suggested gift or a curse passengers in the window seat who keep the window shade closed the entire trip.
Speaker 3: Ah. I guess, man, I've never been so ambivalent about anything in my entire life. I really have to choose the entire flight. I guess gift Why Because if you have no choice about anything else about what this flight is and why you're there, where you're going, there's a chance that it might be that you want to sleep. Mmm. Interesting, and I'd rather have it close the whole time than blasting you with light the whole time.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so closely.
Speaker 2: For that reason, of course, because and also for the reason if I'm in the middle seat, I want to peak, but I'm not peaking. That's uncomfortable to peek over the person. I don't want the temptation there. I don't want the sun blasting in on me. Why not just have a quiet moment with the window closed. There's nothing interesting enough for me to see out the window that I need it open exactly. Yeah, just let me be in a calm, dark, quiet place for a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I feel like, most likely you just want to figure where you are.
Speaker 2: Yes, just do not remind me. I'm on an airplane, keep it close. If I'm at the window seat, I'm kind of doing everything, which is I don't know if people appreciate that, because if you're asleep and then the person opens the window, suddenly you're being blast. But that is the power you hold.
Speaker 3: That's the thing you have, that power, And like I feel like the middle of the day and everyone was sleeping and someone blasted up in the windowshed I might say something, but I still probably wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I would promise it. I would just sit in silence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was on a plane recently with a man whose elbow was just in my body the entire time, and there was nothing I could do about it. And if you say something, then they're mad at you, so you just suffer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but it is the thing that I most consistently do.
Speaker 2: Likewise, absolutely Likewise were kindred spirits there. Okay, you've gotten one so far. This next one is from someone named Andy, and Andy suggested gift to a curse restaurant menus that call sandwiches hand helds.
Speaker 3: Oh curse. Why, I've never heard of that in my life, And it feels like sandwiches have quite a good name. And do tell me how to eat my sandwich. Maybe I want to eat it with a knife and fork or chopsticks or just like directly with like taking bites from the plate with my face. I don't know. I have to hold it with my hands, have.
Speaker 2: Your hands tied behind your back, eating it off the plate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't usually get mad about calling sandwiches other things because I think that that's fine, But in this case, I'm furious, of.
Speaker 2: Course, I mean, how annoying? Why are we it's so cute, it's so irritating. Everyone knows what a sandwich is. Why are you calling it a handheld?
Speaker 3: I get, Yeah, there's a thing here right where would you include Burger's on that menu?
Speaker 2: This is the big confusion for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think put.
Speaker 2: A hamburger under a sandwich. I'm not gonna fight with you. That was the original name. Is that how you feel?
Speaker 3: I feel like this is a cultural loaded.
Speaker 2: Question, so I oh, then let's hear it.
Speaker 3: I feel like the word burger means a different thing here, like it means the meat, does it?
Speaker 2: Well, if I ordered a burger, it's a sand or a burger sandwich.
Speaker 3: That's true, But like no one orders a chicken burger here, and you.
Speaker 2: Can actually weirdly okay, but that's rare because it ends up being like ground chicken turned into a paddy.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. And it's like I feel like a burger is like that style of like hot sandwich with a hot meat, So like a chicken burger would just be what you call a chicken sandwich.
Speaker 2: It's and even if it was like a like a piece of chicken, you would call that a chicken burger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just be a chicken burger or like a veggie burger or like a you know, a lamburger or something, or a steak burger. Like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so we do have like turkey burger, we have lamburger, but it's always grounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the I think the difference everything. Yeah, and interesting, it's just like if it's between a burger, if it's on a burger bun, it's a burger.
Speaker 2: You've got to get into more detail there. That gets confused saying if I order a lamb sandwich, I'm assuming it's gonna be oh now, oh no, I would have to order a lamb sandwich, not a lamburger.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. If you go to McDonald's, everything is a burger in New Zealand. Wow, it's like the mc chicken burger and like the file of fish burger. It's everything there would be a burger because it's like burger shaped, right, It's like a yeah, maybe that's what it is. Like, it's like the Platonic idea of a burger looks a certain way, and if it resembles that.
Speaker 2: Your picture in your mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like round on top ish you know if it's square not a burger.
Speaker 2: Well, now that's that. There's a chain of restaurants in America called Wendy's that serves square hamburgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the bunner's round, and that's a burger.
Speaker 2: Then it's hanging off the edge. I don't know what their logic is. I wonder if it's cheaper or.
Speaker 3: I hope that they're putting the cheese, the square cheese directly on top of the square.
Speaker 2: Ooh, interesting, but.
Speaker 3: I don't think they are. We have Windys too, or you do have Wendy's. Yeah, yeah, I know Wendy Okay.
Speaker 2: Wendy's is. I haven't been there in a while. I don't mind a Wendy's, be totally honest with you.
Speaker 3: I used to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: They have a spicy chicken sandwich there. There you go pretty good. Not it's an underrated sandwich.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: What do you order at Wendy's.
Speaker 3: Uh, A frosty and fry.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course everybody loves that.
Speaker 3: Do you dip? Do you are you like a soft serve?
Speaker 2: Or I will, but not the entire time. I'll eat most of my French fries kind of as the savory thing, and then towards the end, we're getting into dessert and I'm dipping. I'm enjoying. Are you the whole time?
Speaker 3: I'm the whole time? Like that's the whole event. Like that's like the meal is like if I could, like I would, I would have it, play it and I would pull fries on it and then like spaghetti ball and as the frosty will go on top and I'll just be ating that with the fuck is there?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, is there a like proportionally is there enough fry to frosty where like you finish and they're both gone, or you like there's still frosty left over.
Speaker 3: I don't know. This is the balance. This is the game that you play with anything. I guess it's like trying to get the ratio exactly right. Oh, the last doing this, the last bite is the correct right.
Speaker 2: Works takes over every meal where I'm like, well, I want to have a little bit of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, don't talk to me working on something.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately, what we have to do is just agree on Handheld's being a bad idea. Okay, this is your final one. You've gotten two out of three so far, so be very careful here because you could win the game, and very few people have won the game. Oh, Rachel. Listener Rachel has suggested when doctors say you're doing great during a procedure, gift a curse. Gift or a curse?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, gift why? Because I love praise, I just wouldn't mean to tell that I'm doing a good job in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh, Liz, as much as I'd love to tell you you're doing a great job, You've absolutely flopped here. It's a curse because the moment we're in the middle of this procedure, they're telling me I'm doing great, and now I have to do better. I have to at least maintain the greatness or better. The pressure is on, and I'm probably going to cause an injury or something. Make me think I'm doing a bad job the entire time, so I perform best. Okay, This is how maybe how I operate my entire life, where I'm just constantly wondering am I doing a good job? The moment you're someone says you're doing a job. Now, I'm confused.
Speaker 3: Do you like? When do you so you do? When do you want the feedback before when you put it on my tombstone?
Speaker 2: Just like report card, Bridgerie did a great job. Until then, I can't have praise, at least directly. It gets a little the stakes become way too high, and I want I don't want to let anybody, anybody down because I didn't know I was making anyone happy.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I'm getting it now.
Speaker 2: Who knows? But uh, you've got two out of three, which is not bad.
Speaker 3: Famously, two o three an't bad, need bad.
Speaker 2: It's a good sixty six percent, which you get to take home with you. Okay, this is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails. People are writing in too, I said no gifts at gmail dot com. They're in a panic, they're freaking out. They need answers. The only person they can turned to his may of course, and you, of course, so call you help me answer a question. Okay, let's look at this. We're getting into the duck. Okay, here we go. High Bridger an incredibly attractive guest. That's very nice. What an assumption.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I started a new job four months ago and The business is doing a Secret Santa gift exchange for Christmas? Are you familiar with Secret Santa? Names were randomly drawn and I got my manager. We have had a good relationship since he is the one that hired me, and I believe he has my best professional interests at heart. But I don't know too much about him personally. I want to gift him something that will cement my place as his favorite person on the sales team. Oh boy, about him. He's gay and married. He has a dog. He wakes up at four am to exercise and goes to bed at seven thirty pm. Okay, we're getting red flags. He loves candy and desserts. He's in de fancy skincare treatments. The budget is twenty five dollars, Thank you so much, and that's from Bay.
Speaker 3: Twenty five dollars. Oh man, that's hard.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's too little?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I guess it's probably good. It's good to have limitations.
Speaker 2: What would you say is a good Secret Santa number?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I guess it's like for a work thing where it's for someone you potentially don't know. I don't know. Yeah, forty bucks maybe forty bucks or twenty five bucks is worth more here?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what's the exchange current?
Speaker 3: That is about forty bucks?
Speaker 2: Oh so it is about for him? There you go, thank you.
Speaker 3: What's on unique number?
Speaker 2: Okay? So forty dollars New Zealand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, man, that's really hard. I don't know if managers should be in the in the secret setting.
Speaker 2: Right, because this person's playing a game with their employees that I am not comfortable with. Yeah, there's a power dynamic of play.
Speaker 3: And the expectation with Secret Center is that you reveal yourself, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're revealing a little bit about yourself and what you think of the person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because could you just like remain a secret?
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, But I guess.
Speaker 3: This person wants to make a good impression, so they want to write. They want them to know who sit in the gift.
Speaker 2: Although with Secret Sanda, you watch the person open the gift, You watch their face very carefully. If they seem disappointed, you just never well yeah, you just never reveal yourself. Let that remain a mystery forever, kind of like the zodiac or something. Decades later, they're still looking into it. No one ever knows, but if it's if they're happy, even if they weren't your person, you claim it.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: And then the other employee that says no, it was me, you call them a liar.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: And now there's you know, no one knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: Maybe you get them two prisons. Have you got two ideas? And then they open both and you just whichever one they're like more. You're like, oh, that's the one I got you. I don't know who got you there, that shitty one that's so bad that other prison, or.
Speaker 2: You have the good one, like as a backup in your office, and if they seem disappointed, you say, oh, that one was a joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. The begain persons is so hard, even when you've listened all these interests that this person has and that they have like kids and they like to sleep at crazy hours. Like it's man and a dog a dog, you'd think, like I think would be like easy to go for the dog. It's like if they clearly like the dog, right, then you know you get a little treat for the dog. I don't know, little hat.
Speaker 2: The dog is such an easy target. Yeah, because everyone loves a little yeah sweater for the dog, or you have somebody paint a picture of it on Etsy. Yeah. Yeah, you covertly go to their house and take photos of it, and then they're terrified.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants a T shirt with a dog on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not a bad idea print, right, And then fancy skincare treatments not a possibility with twenty five dollars. Those are all fifty dollars or more candy and desserts. That's kind of a downer. It's like, who cares?
Speaker 3: You could maybe do something with the skin, because there are things that like, uh, should be two dollars that you could probably get a twenty five dollars version. I don't know, like how much is like a face mask or something like a very nice lip bomb?
Speaker 2: Oh, lip bomb? There we go. That feels like if you're paying twenty five dollars for a lip bomb, it's got everything you need. Yeah, it's got supplements, it's plumping your lip, this kind of thing. It's got an SPF of sixty. Although giving somebody a lip treat, your boss a lip care thing, I don't know if that's.
Speaker 3: Sign I've been thinking about your mouth.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what you're right in the card. I can't stop thinking about your mouth, and then your the job will just be nothing but roses from then on. Yeah, perfect workplace dynamic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is really hot. This is all the questions that come in about gifts.
Speaker 2: Most of them, although I'm encouraging recently just asking anything. You know, why not. If you're so desperate, you should ask whatever you want, get in here and ask. But then we give such perfect answers that I think people are tempted, Oh I need this gift advice, like I should give flip care to my boss. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no way that could go wrong. That's perfect.
Speaker 2: You should be rubbing their shoulders while they open the gift. That's probably the one thing you should be doing, just to make sure they're comfortable.
Speaker 3: Heavy breathing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we answered it perfectly. Okay, good, and no one can complain. The manager is going to be thrilled.
Speaker 3: Saying that I did a good I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: You did an excellent job. I would say, just think that's fantastic. And now I've got this little gift, which is so sweet, and I'll wear it and think of you and the band, which is so incredible, and you guys are going to vanish for a while. I assume you're going to go probably make new music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to just like you just have to keep doing that, don't you. It's like you make something good and you're like, is this enough? Yeah, I still have to continue to work for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: You should have to do one project and then you get to That's how everything should be. It's like I think, like working out, you should go to work out for twelve hours one day and then you should be done with it.
Speaker 3: So annoying that you have to keep doing it forever.
Speaker 2: It's terrifying, absolutely terrifying. When you guys start a new album, is it right after you finish the last or do you give yourself a break?
Speaker 3: I have, uh, let's call it given myself a break. I have not really managed to write a song in like every year.
Speaker 2: So say the pressure and it builds and builds and builds, builds and builds.
Speaker 3: It's and I just need to let myself write a real bad song. Just to write a bad one. It's okay to write a bad one. I have to be allowed to write a bad one so that I can I can break the seal.
Speaker 2: And then it can become like a novelty or a B side or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me pitch you an idea that I think if I were in a band, I would do. Okay, every time I released a new album, I would include a song from the last album kind of in the production style of the new album. It's like a bridge to the new album.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm just throwing that up for every band. Or maybe that sound like the B side to the single. Yeah, I'm just you know, I'm constantly thinking of ways bands can do things, even though I don't play.
Speaker 3: Music really really and ideas I just post.
Speaker 2: I'm an ideas person first. Yeah, everything else is like a distant ten thousand. All my other skills fall far away from think my ideas. But I'm throwing that out for you. Could be you could innovate. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's a great thought.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for being here. You've got one final show tonight. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Los Angeles. Thank you, and I'll put this on and go about my life. Listener, the podcast is over. As you've just heard from my conversation with Liz. You can move on, you cannot move on, and you know blame me. You can do whatever you want. I have Sometimes I have a lot of controls. Sometimes I have very little. Today I'm giving you control. I love you, goodbye. I said, no Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Analise Nilson and beutifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker Patrick Cottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts? He lie invit?
Speaker 3: Did you hear?
Speaker 1: Thunna made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 3: But you're a guest to.
Speaker 1: You gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests. Your presences presents enough. I'm already too much stuff.
Speaker 3: So how do you dad to survey me