Speaker 1: It's very seldom I run into someone who I really think is just kind of a piece of shit. I go for the most part, everybody's just at their job, whether they're wildly famous or not, and they're just trying to do the job and then go home and hang out with their family. It's just kind of our universal situation.
Speaker 2: Well you know what that means, Rory, that you're the piece of.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, shit.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to SNAPO, your favorite podcast about history's greatest screw ups, or, if we're being completely honest, a show about the spectacular hubris of humanity, the epic disasters it creates, and the lessons we like to pretend we can learn from them. I'm your host ed Helms, and I guess today. Is a very funny comedian, actor, writer, and podcast host. He released his first comedy album, Dilation, in twenty eleven, and pumped out not one, not three, but six different stand up specials, the most recent of which Religion, Sex, and a Few Things in Between, you can find on HBO Max. He's appeared in a variety of film and television programs, with a particularly standout performance opposite Rose Byrne in Apple TV's Physical, which is a fucking awesome show by the way, Nic Yes, indeed, and he said to appear in a new ABC show called Do You Want Kids? And I think I also just saw a trailer that had you in it for my buddy Steve Carell's new show Rooster. So please welcome to the pod the amazing Rory Scovel.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: I I've got to say, Ed, I have waited to see you face to face because this was the only way to tell you this. But Vacation is potentially one of the funniest movies that I have seen in I do not I don't know how long, but I have not seen a comedy where literally every five minutes I sort of need to pause the movie to collect myself. And I have shown so many people that movie and I tell them, you will cry laughing, And it's so true. I love that movie so much.
Speaker 2: You were this You're gonna make me cry right now. You're really touching me. And I'll tell you why, because I and the writer directors of that movie have long felt that that movie like, we are so proud of it. It's a movie we loved making, we love the product and it just didn't capture the audience that we that we hoped for. And so when I get these little nuggets of affirmation like that, I really appreciate it. That really means a lot.
Speaker 3: You guys should absolutely be proud of it.
Speaker 1: But just given the fact that it's not comedically predictable, it's not hacky, it's not like the cringey comedy that you can find out there, which is fine, the fact that it actually is just so moments of that car is so stupid.
Speaker 2: The car is so funny. There's a keyfob with a million buttons on it, and Christina Applegate goes, is that a swastika? And I just say, yeah, we won't use that. What is that? What? Uh?
Speaker 3: It's great?
Speaker 2: All right, Well enough about Hey, we're here to talk about you. First of all, I've actually known you a long time, not well, we've bumped into each other over the years. But I have a very borderline offensive question for you, which is do you say your last name Scovell or Scovell.
Speaker 1: I say Scovell, which, okay, I'm going to go and say it's correct, but that's my versions of it.
Speaker 2: Right, Scovelley Skivel good because I am Southern, so I have all these little like contractions I say. I say things like like like my friend Eleanor, I say Eleanor and Scoville and that sort of thing. So uh, but I'm always conscious that I'm probably doing it wrong as well. Where are you from? Originally the South?
Speaker 3: From South Carolina, Greenville? Oh?
Speaker 2: Right on.
Speaker 3: Eleanor is exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, even though it's spelled with an o's pronounced with an I or even an apostrophe an apostrophe are eleanor Eleanor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that art comes in quick.
Speaker 2: You're rapidly becoming an American treasure. And I.
Speaker 3: Love the best podcast I've ever been and we should just do this.
Speaker 2: This is called we just just compliment each other with voice are you? That's what this is called. No, but it's fun when I have people on that I think are awesome like you, so thank you. You have a new podcast. Also, you're getting into this space starting to horn in on my space. That's right a little bit. What is it? Tell me more?
Speaker 1: It's a show called Crime List. I do it with the journalist Josh Dean and yeah, he basically not so unlike this show just in the world of like crime stories and stupid criminals throughout history and throughout the world. Josh kind of reads me a story about can you believe this bone head? You know, criminal story? And I'm just hearing it for the first time and commenting on it, and I love it. I'm shocked every time that I mean, I'm not shocked, and I am shocked that ninety five percent of the stories are from Florida.
Speaker 3: But that's just the reality of it.
Speaker 1: But Yeah, it's out now and it's been super fun to do, and Josh is a great co host cool.
Speaker 2: I am psyched to check that out. And it's also perfect segue into what we're about to do. I'm about to talk to you about this snafu, and in this particular case, it is also a crime perfect Have you seen the movie Wall Street. I've seen the movie Wall Street, Okay, with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheene, Darryl Hannah Oliver Stone movie. It's phenomenal. So the guy that Michael Douglas plays in that movie, who's like a corporate raider and like a Wall Street tycoon. He's based loosely, but he is based on a real guy. Does this ring any bells for.
Speaker 3: You, No, I don't think. I don't think I was aware of this.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, So this is a Wall Street legend of sorts. It's just one of those really epic stories about a man who rows from rags to riches and then plummeted from riches to an orange jumpsuit. Our man of the hour is Ivan Bowski, and he was considered widely thought to be the inspiration for Michael Douglas's very slippery eighties villain Gordon Gecko. We have a we have a photo of mister Boski here.
Speaker 3: It just seems like.
Speaker 2: I think that I've seen other pictures of him where his eyes look normal. So I'm just gonna guess that's a weird He's either he's either winking or or it's just one of those weird, weird moments that the cameras get. But there's a slickness to this guy. And look at his skin. Hey, he's got game show host vibes.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 2: He kind of looks like he'd be fun to hang out have a beer with, I'll be honest.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna learn why he might not be somebody that you wanted to hang out with. Also, funny funny footnote. He's wearing a black suit and a white shirt in this picture, and that that was his go to every single day. He and someone asked him at one point, why do you wear the same suit and every day? And he just said, I have enough big decisions to make every day. This is one I can just take off the list, which is funny because Einstein is also famous for that. Albert Einstein always wore the same suit and shirt and for the same reason. It's just like take it off your plate, right.
Speaker 1: It makes sense, it makes it. I don't know if you do that. I don't do it for those reasons. When I heard the same clothes, it's clearly like a lazy sort.
Speaker 2: Of When I hear the same clothes every day, it's problematic. It's a bit of a red flag. It happens that you explain right. Here is Michael Douglas's famous piece of dialogue from Wall Street. He's giving a big speech to stockholders meeting for a big company, and he's walking the aisle with a microphone, and he's tons of gravitas and he's just saying, greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right greed works read, clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeaheah.
Speaker 1: I think we know now the state of our politics that he was right, it's going great, it's going so good.
Speaker 2: He's all right. What he left out is and all of that sucks, and that the consequences of all this is not good.
Speaker 3: The endgame of this is devastating.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So today we will find out what that spirit conjured throughout the eighties. Of course, your show Physical takes place in the eighties. How do you how would you capture the spirit of the eighties? How would you describe it?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's almost a good I feel like that. That's why there's something to his speech in that movie, because it's almost like the eighties was like you can get up and you can create your own future, and greed and wanting to do it and having to step over people to pull it off is a is a great way, is a great start. And then the other side of it feels like Cindy Lapper and Madonna, which I feel like I identify with more in my spirit of what I like to envision of the eighties.
Speaker 3: But as far as business, yeah, I think it was like that.
Speaker 2: Also, I'm just going to say a word that I associate with the eighties cocaine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lots of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that that's what crossed the aisles. That's where the art community and common ground.
Speaker 2: Amen. All right, Well, let's get into Ivanboski a little bit. He starts out modestly. Born in nineteen thirty seventy, grew up in post war Detroit, the son of a Russian immigrant who ran delis and old school brass railbars, which is those blue collar taverns fueled by rye breads, cigarettes and cheap liquor and a little fun Detroit footnote. Bosky attended Mumford High School. Does that mean anything to you?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Mumford High School later achieved pop culture immortality thanks to Eddie Murphy's gray sweatshirt in Beverly Hills cop Oh yeah, okay, he is a Mumford sweatshirt. I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so Boski actually went there. From the sounds of it, Ivan strove for more. There's a peculiar quote from his second cousin, found in a Time magazine article. He had this capacity for single mindedness. He drove himself mercilessly as far as exercise goes.
Speaker 1: That's the most unrelatable sentence I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes on to talk about how he does hundreds of push ups, which is odd, but I guess speaks to like a driven sort of character as a young man. Have you ever watched someone with incredible focus and drive and just thought that's really before realizing that's the energy that also is wrecking everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, but also they almost seemed you can't picture them laughing or saying something originally funny, or you just they almost feel like carbon copies of carbon copies of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't understand that drive.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of lawn musk sarc right. Yeah, it feels like he was this incredibly inspiring, kind of relentless innovator and then whoa, whoa, it just went so yeah, so far over the the line.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At some point, Yeah, the ambition gets taken away or just takes off way too far. I also think some kids, speaking of the eighties, I think you watched movies. I think there's a lot of us that saw something like The Karate Kid and wanted to be Daniel LaRusso, and then some people were like, no, I want to be Johnny. I want to be a blondeheaded dude who's clearly a bad guy. And it's you see that in their lives that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I definitely when I saw those guys jumping motorcycles around in their skeleton Halloween costumes, I was like, I definitely want to be that. But when Daniel LaRusso like kicks him in the face with the swan kick, I'm like, yeah, that's who I want.
Speaker 3: You're like, that's the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: While in school, Boski married Sima Silberstein in nineteen sixty two, daughter of real estate lawyer and hotel tycoon Ben Silberstein. We could probably actually do a whole story on Silberstein. He is fascinating in and of and himself. But here's a quick anecdote. Allegedly, when he was younger, he was turned away from the Beverly Hills Hotel. On a subsequent visit with his youngest daughter, Muriel, she exclaimed that he thought he should simply buy the place, and so he did. Yeah, I guess that's kind of a fuck you. He just bought the hotel. For five point five million dollars in nineteen fifty four. Oh my god, that's that's just over sixty six million today, and I think it's worth a lot more than that. Safe to say, Boski was well aware of this class differential he was marrying into and really wanted to prove himself. After graduating from the Detroit College of Law, he drifted through a series of soul sucking gigs law clerk, accountant, kind of rinse and repeat. None of it's sticking, none of its satisfying. Then his father died in nineteen sixty four, Boski took over the family's last brass Rail bar and rebranded it La Club a Go Go, and it brought in topless dancers and made it a kind of tawdry, salatious affair, and of course it was bankrupt within two years.
Speaker 3: The brass Rail Bar is so fun.
Speaker 1: Every time I hear that, I think of Rudy when his dad threw him and his brother out of the bar when all the guys were off work at the mill and they were just drinking at the bar, and then Rudy was sean Aston was doing something and his dad told the owner to throw them out. It lives in my mind forever because I thought, why don't you just tell your son.
Speaker 3: To leave the bar? Why does the owner have to.
Speaker 1: Now get involved throwing your kid out of the bar. But I always picture that five PM blue collar guys in their their you know, destroyed clothing from working at the mill, just having beers and it just seems so cozy.
Speaker 2: Now introduce like like a like a burlesque dancer to that vibey. And it was not successful, this one did. It went bankrupt in two years. Boski, at the time, was not exactly happy. His father in law would constantly let him know how unhappy he was with his daughter's choices. He nicknamed Ivan Boski Ivan a bum and openly referred to him as an air dwell who would amount to nothing, which is kind of kind of a brutal way to talk to your son in law.
Speaker 1: I feel like Ivan Brokski was right there for the taking anyone with the bum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh gosh, yeah, you're going to be a tough father in law.
Speaker 1: I'm excited just that name. Yeah, for the nicknames, this is.
Speaker 2: An interesting one. How much of a person's identity or you know, ambition gets shaped by all the people shouting at them that they're a failure.
Speaker 3: Of course, my god, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean that's like the core of representation in entertainment and how you're represented like in entertainment and who you are that you you know, when you start to identify with people who look like you or you feel like you relate to, Like, that's what inspires the idea that you think, well, I'm just meant to be a failure or I can be a success, you know for sure. But you're right, like criticism like that it starts to become your reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can either it can either destroy someone or like give them like very intense fuel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And uh and I would I would also say that's probably not like good fuel, healthy fuel.
Speaker 3: Fuel.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's like I want to be a success, not because I want to like have nice vacations with my family. It's because I want to make this other person feel like shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because buy a hotel when they refuse service, that really puts me in my place. I couldn't do that at a gas station or a go to a fast food place and they disrespected me.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, you just wait, I'm gonna buy this place.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need about twenty years just to kind of get the green together, but.
Speaker 2: Also see well. Needless to say, Boski was extremely motivated, in part probably to best his father in law. He and Seema moved to the Big Apple. Now Rory, that is a Wall Street term for New York City.
Speaker 3: Okay, you said we were going to learn today, You said that.
Speaker 2: The Big Apple. Make a note of it. Yeah, Now, I guess father in law Silberstein was at least kind enough to put them up in a Park Avenue apartment. He even bankrolled Boski's first company with seven hundred thousand dollars. This was nineteen seventy five and Ivan had found his passion and promise on Wall Street. He was an incredibly hard worker, allegedly clocking twenty hour work days. This is an interesting thing that sort of emerges in a lot of biographical material about him. He never ate. He would go to these big you know, functions and meals or like host big things dinner parties and this and that, and like no one ever saw him eat. He would have like a grape or like little nibbles of things. And he was like as we mentioned before, relentlessly working out just like a very intense guy and also never slept. It's just one of those weird vampire dudes who can like like I have my sleep tracker, and if it's like less than eight hours, I'm just like, oh God, this is going to be a hard day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your day's ruined.
Speaker 2: Sorry. I go into the day already like, oh, I'm on half a tank guy, And.
Speaker 1: You're like, if I could just get three pastries in my body, I bet I could find some.
Speaker 3: Fuel in there.
Speaker 2: Ivan Boski was very dedicated to sort of carving out his place on Wall Street. He was not a traditional investor. He worked in a space known as arbitrage. So traditional investing is like planting a tree. You buy a stock and you believe in the company, and you hold it for a long time, believing that this company will will grow. Stockbrokers will research companies in order to sort of know which companies have the best chances of growing and accumulating value. Arbitrage is a different kind of investor. It's all about timing. It's fast and it's fast in and fast out, So you buy something that you think is temporarily underpriced and then sell it the minute the price corrects. So it kind of works like this, you would find a small company something that has like a sort of special or obscure value. Maybe it's a product or a service or an expertise of some kind, but it's something that a bigger company would want. Then you figure out that a takeover buy this bigger company or any number of bigger companies is likely before the public catches onto this, and you buy a ton of shares of this small company while the stock price is relatively low. Then when this takeover happens and is announced, the stock price jumps and you immediately sell. Yeah, it has nothing, there's no loyalty, there's no belief in the company. You're just trying to spot the moment when the price is about to change and be there first. It's one of the most risky kinds of investing, and at the time, most arbitrage players were very cautious, small bets, careful math, lots of hedging. But Bowski was not built this way. He went He just went big. He pushed harder, he took huge risks that others wouldn't touch. And as the seventies sort of turned into the eighties, this all of his bullheaded bluster turned him into a force of nature. He was also incredibly smart and gifted at you know, market analysis, and somehow Ivan Boski just kept crushing it.
Speaker 1: Every time you say Bosky, I only picture Michael Douglas anyways, eating honestly, just eating the raw meat that he gets at that restaurant in there.
Speaker 2: That movie was so good. I need to rewatch that.
Speaker 1: I mean when he stands on the balcony at the apartment and Charlie Sheen just yells out to the city, who am I. Yeah, It's like we've all been there.
Speaker 2: Been there? Did you live in New York City? Anyway?
Speaker 3: I lived there.
Speaker 1: For four years and then what when was that? I was there o seven to twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Right after me, I was there ninety six to two thousand's yeah seven.
Speaker 1: Basically I was there when I lived there. I was at all those Dell Closed marathons watching you guys that those that won that venue was incredible. But those are some of my happiest memories from comedy, just going and watching insane improv at the Dell Close marathon.
Speaker 3: Yes, like three in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was so it felt so punk rock, right, and that was like, That's what I loved about it is like there were there were a lot of like, like, I've always been pretty nerdy and like clean cut, but like I value punk rock, I value the the the weirdos and the people on the margins. I just think that they're such a marvelous part of our culture and society. And then you have an institution like the Upright Citizens Brigade that that just brings it all together somehow, And you have like buttoned up comedians performing next to like just the wildest performance art Whack a Do's, and it's just pure joy.
Speaker 3: I like, I agree.
Speaker 2: We're now in the midst of the mid eighties. We're talking lycra leggings, Tom Selix mustache, and everyone's asking where's the beef because of the Wendy's commercial. Yeah, it was Wendy's. Oh I don't know, is that where it came from? Where's the beef? Yeah, it's like a little old lady opening up her hamburger and it's like a tiny little meat patty. In nineteen eighty one, the Ivan F. Boski Corp. Was rolling in it, making more than one hundred and fifty million dollars in profits from short runs on CBS, Gulf Oil and Konaco. According to Vanity Fair, one hundred and fifty million dollars was more money than Ivan's father in law ever had. Perfect So I guess some nice warm comfort there.
Speaker 1: That's aolution of the human spirit right there. Yeah, it just got it above that number.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just got a win. I just got a win at whatever cost to my soul. It's fine. So Ivan is raking it in. By the spring of nineteen eighty five, he was reportedly the highest paid broker on Wall Street, with a net worth of over two hundred and eighty million dollars, which is nearly eight hundred and forty million in today's dollars, which I just want to point out, eight hundred and forty million dollars, like in today's money is not considered, you know, the the crazy wealth, the crazy way you have to be a billionaire to be a crazy wealthy. And that's a comment on like in the eighties, as much money and excess as these guys are engaging in, we're still not in a culture with the wealth gap that we have today. Yeah, right, the wealth gap has just like exploded exploded since the eighties. But it's just interesting to me that we're talking about these guys as if they're Jeff Bezos or or Elon Musk or Zuckerberg, but they're not even close to that by comparison.
Speaker 1: And yet still titans in their own in the daytime. Yeah, the day they were that. And I think it's that trickle down economics of the eighties where people are like, now, give all this money, give it up here, and you'll get it back.
Speaker 3: It'll come back to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you mean, Like that wealth gap is massive now, and I think there's something to the eighties of like, yeah, this is what really the lit the fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Boski held the spot on the Forbes four hundred list of America's wealthiest people. He ran his firm with real intensity, ferocity, orchestrating like a real high pressure operation of roughly one hundred employees. His self promotion was legendary. He hired his own PR firm to help promote himself. His self promotion tour included press for his his own book, written with the aid of journalist Jeffrey G. Madrick, called merger Mania Arbitrage, Wall Street's best kept money making secret, and uh, yeah, you know that big old shady eating grin right on the front.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, like a book like that.
Speaker 1: You're like, just like just considering where I grew up in South Carolina, Like my dad worked at the post office. Is like, is anybody in the post office you read this? Money Mania Army, Yeah, merger merger Mania, merger.
Speaker 3: Mania Yeah, book cup out Walls, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like you just explaining investing in companies, getting in and getting out is probably the biggest lesson I've gotten in my.
Speaker 3: Street.
Speaker 1: What it even is to me, it's just a circus that I can't understand.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, I find I find it all very like brain mangling. In nineteen eighty six, Boski was invited to provide a commencement speech at the University of California at Berkeley has School of Business. And this is where that speech that was the inspiration for Gordon Gecko's infamous framing was derived. But it's not exactly the same as Gordon Gecko's. What he said is greed is all right. By the way, I want you to know that I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself. It sounds like a cult leader. It's weird, you know what it has echoes of this this uh, this, all this stuff emerging from both the Christian nationalist movement and Elon Musk where it's like empathy is bad.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, this.
Speaker 2: Is saying the same thing in the sort of inverse. Greed is because self interest is good. It's very and randy in that way, like it's just.
Speaker 1: It's very Uh, discard the seven deadly sins and move on. Greed is okay, It's fine, right, fine, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Bible literally tells you that this is a deadly sin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one saying this. This is destructive to you personally and to all of people. But if you want to have an elevator in your house, you gotta have a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is the I love the last sentence. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all of this is going on, and all of a sudden record scratch, just months after riding high, it all unraveled. On November fourteenth, nineteen eighty six, ivan Boski pleaded guilty to conspiring to file false trading records, which is a complicated way of saying insider trading. Okay, basically, Time Magazine put his grinning face on the cover and dubbed him Ivan the Terrible, which is a little derivative, but it's.
Speaker 3: Still better than Ivan the Bum from the Father.
Speaker 2: Sure not, and not as good as Ivan broke Ski Right, that's right. One minute this guy is Wall Street Royalty, the next he's a cautionary tale and the high roller era was over. He is headed to prison. Do you think that repeated success always turns people into egomaniacs or like just disasters? Is it possible to remain humble?
Speaker 1: I think it's possible to remain humble, base done. I think how much you've acquired as a person before you've reached that success. For instance, I think a lot of people in our industry who find fame or fortune later in their careers.
Speaker 3: Tend to be.
Speaker 1: So much a little more chill and fully aware that life is fickled and it can go away. And yesterday I was doing this job and today I'm grateful I've got this one. But I think when you have it at a young age, and nothing against those people that get at a young age because they are missing that sort of educational step. I think a lot of times they can come off as awful people, and maybe it's something happens and they turn a corner and they change. But you definitely see it in people who come from a certain background. I think it's just learning the value of things, for sure. But I think people can remain humble. I tell people all the time that, like friends back home or people ask me if I've worked with someone, they always want to know if someone's a jerk.
Speaker 3: I go, I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: It's very seldom I run into someone who I really think is just kind of a piece of shit. I go, for the most part, everybody's just at their job, whether they're wildly famous or not, and they're just trying to do the job and then go home and hang out with their family. It's just kind of our universal situation.
Speaker 2: Well you know what that means, Rory, What that means you're the piece of shit?
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Shit, if you.
Speaker 2: Can't actually see how much other people are a piece of shit, it means you're a giant piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Ahuck. I just thought they were so fun. I looked up to all of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, our industry obviously is a very hot crucible of all of this stuff, But I think also just looking into the business world, you know, and seeing a special these these tech modern tech titans and you're Jeff Bezos's and so forth, it's really amazing. You can chart their values and their appearance, yeah, their physical appearance, how it changes over time with their power and wealth, and it's it's very disheartening, you know. The the notion that absolute power corrupts absolutely really seems to hold a lot of water.
Speaker 3: Yes, one hundred percent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also you do wonder, like in the origin story of these billionaires or tech titans, you do wonder like, are they coming from a place of like sort of like ivan, like was it vengeance where they like, Oh, I'll show this world I have value and I'll become this because I think the world has treated me this way. There's such an irony to then becoming a billionaire who kind of in many ways runs the world and not having compassion for who might also be what you once were, but instead being like, no, those people are trash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what, well that's what you right?
Speaker 2: We have pictures of you, yeah, we have with pictures of Jeff Bezos as the sweetest little nerd. Yeah, so so bizarre.
Speaker 3: I think That's why I like the brass rail bars.
Speaker 1: Just keep me in that pocket where I can just go get a beer in a pink glass.
Speaker 3: I don't want to run the world.
Speaker 2: Don't limit yourself, Rory, oh lot, you can't. We want you to run the world.
Speaker 3: I mean it'd be more fun.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that Burning Man wouldn't be just a week, it wouldn't be just one week in one location.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Rory's world. All right, So how did we get here? How did this epic crumble of a Wall Street titan occur? It starts in nineteen eighty two, when Bowski took a brutal hit, losing sixty million dollars on a bad deal. Again that that's a lot of money, but it was way more back then. Uh. Suddenly, this guy who always seemed to be one step ahead was underwater. And that's when the line started to blur. The pressure mounted, the bets got darker, and Bosky crossed into insider trading. Is there anything more human than trying to recover from a humiliating loss by just immediately making a series of worst decisions. It is true. It's our common bond. It's such it makes us all human. Yeah, even on a small scale. I just feel like like if you, you know, you spill something in your lap, and then your panic makes you spill like some much older shit.
Speaker 3: God. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now it's nineteen eighty five and Bosky's having an amazing year, and so were a lot of other savvy traders, all raking in millions. In fact, they were winning so hard that it was beginning to feel an awful lot like somebody knew something somewhere that somehow was tipping off those someone's with some slick insider gravy. Basically, regulators began to suspect that the stench of insider information was bubbling up from the sewage of these multimillion dollar deals. Quick Wall Street check in, do you understand what insider trading is?
Speaker 3: Yessexually I think so.
Speaker 1: For instance, your example earlier about a business being acquired by another business and finding that out and deciding, all right, let's buy low so we can sell high because we know it's coming.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So the honest way to do that is to just do your research and your homework and try to figure out which companies are going to get bought. The illegal insider trading version is for someone who knows a company is about to be bought to tell to like whisper it to you, so you can then go and buy those shares, and then as soon as the company's bought those the value of those shares just like rockets up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it's very legal now because it seems to occur quite often in including with Iran white House.
Speaker 2: Yes, directly, well, it is. It's so ironic. And of course within Congress, so many Congress people have so much access to what is considered inside information. Yes, because they know about laws that are coming that will dramatically affect these various companies and industries, and they can invest accordingly, and they do, and it is so dark. And the irony is that the Securities and Exchange Commission, which is tasked with catching these people and bringing them to justice, they now have incredible analytics and you know, tools to catch people doing this stuff and to catch sort of suspicious activity and then be able to research massive amounts of data more quickly. Like the tools to catch these people are better than ever, and yet it feels like we're just swimming in it more than ever, which is insane.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So these investigators back in the day, they thought they smelled something and they were exactly right. According to Fortune, it was in nineteen eighty five that the SEC began to unravel a tangled web, Beginning with two Merrill Lynch employees in Venezuela. The SEC managed to connect them to high profile investment banker Dennis Levine, among others, and it was Levine who then gave up the gossip on Gordon Gek, I mean Ivan Boski. Levine had struck a deal to cooperate with the US Attorney of the Southern District of New York, who was wait for it, Rudy Giuliani. Oh wow, this of course is pre mayoral, pre disbarred, pre four seasons total landscaping Juliani.
Speaker 3: The four seasons thing will live forever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Just yeah. But then act like you meant to do it.
Speaker 2: The abject stupidity of it all, and the it's so shocking, yeah, and shocking to think there was a time when he was actually on the right side of things like this, was he was actually doing good work as the attorney for the Southern District of New York. It was yeah, yeah, so Levine admitted to providing Boski with non public information about pending deals, and this was enough to bring Bosky in and they caught him red handed. Then, interestingly, Boski would make a deal of his own with the Department of Justice, and this would lower his prison sentence from five years to three. Not only did he wind up paying a hundred million dollars, which at the time was a record high penalty for for such criminal activity, he also agreed to tattle on other traders by secretly recording them and turning them over to authorities.
Speaker 3: He's one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hearked, he narked, he returned, he he did. He did bad things and then tried to get off the hook by doing bad things to other bad guys. I guess, yeah, And it's very morally ambiguous.
Speaker 3: You didn't feel.
Speaker 2: About it, Yeah, because you don't like rats. Rats are like they're the worst, they're turncoats, but like, oftentimes they're on the morally and ethically correct side of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should, you actually should admire them, but you're like, no.
Speaker 2: No, now I respect you even less. Yeah, you should have been a criminal to begin with. Yeah, but now that you are one leave the other criminals alone.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I think it's the it's the cynicism of it, right, It's like it's not coming from a good place. Right, Yeah, Yeah, there you go. The fall from grace was swift and merciless. In the nineteen eighty six Times article, an unidentified friend of Boski's is quoted he wanted so much to be accepted, and he thought money was the only way. That's kind of poignant, actually, said another investment banker, also unidentified, is quoted as saying, I always knew he was a rat. That's in Time magazine. I always knew he was a rat. That's like so Shakespearean for to see money in your future. The other guy so poignant and so intelligent and deep. Money isn't the path. Oh all right, well you're also a trader. You're also in investments. A few quick hits on his swift downfall, his book merges Hermania, was immediately dropped by the publisher, Henry Holt and Company. He was forced to scrap a plan to remodel his Westchester County family home to mirror that of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. A common goal for all, sure, I mean we all want to get there. We all want we all want our homes to look like Monticello. Yeah, I mean what this is the Hubris Like Jesus. He was forced to withdraw as a trustee at the American Ballet Theater. You know that hurt. He had to cancel and rescind a one and a half million dollar grant to Princeton where his son was attending. Who that's going to be hard on the sun?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One crazy aside. John mulharn Junior, one of Boski's proteges, feared he himself was about to be implicated in the scandal and allegedly loaded an assault rifle with the intent of killing Bosky and his former head trader, but he was stopped en route. According to police. Oh wow, Bosky pissed some people off. Of course, he got prison time and this massive fine. This is also interesting. Bosky was permanently banned from work in the financial sector, never to touch stocks, bonds, any kind of securities. Again, Rory, what if you got banned from comedy?
Speaker 3: I was just I was literally going, what would I do? Yeah, what's my plan? B I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I'd open a coffee shop, or I'd try to coach college soccer.
Speaker 2: That's cool, all right, that's actually those are both nights. You could do both.
Speaker 3: Actually, try to do both of those. I actually try to have both of those things.
Speaker 1: A soccer catheic college soccer coffee place. Yeah, sure for the team, like the peach pin in nine two. Well, so, even having to pay this exorbitant penalty, Bosky was fine. Like he's had a ton of money.
Speaker 2: And after he was kicked off Wall Street, a lot more regulations and rules were set up in the world of finance to keep insider trading under control. Most notably was the addition of the Inside Trading and Securities Fraud Enforcement Act of nineteen eighty eight. This act increased penalties for insider trading, required firms to improve internal controls, and introduced a bounty for informants. In April nineteen ninety, Boski was released for cooperating with the Feds, serving only two of his three year sentence. Bosky would recede from public view and live out his days in relative peace, having passed away in May twenty twenty four. Forever a reminder, Yeah, he just passed away a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh wow, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, like, if he's getting out of it with all that money, it's kind of like what a great retirement. Sure you don't want to do two years in prison, but now you're out of the game and you still have enough money to just go and coast.
Speaker 3: It's just coast till it's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was. I'm sure he was in like a relatively pleasant white collar prison too. It wasn't like that. But here's what's interesting. A lot of people look at things like this, and and whatever side you're on, you might just be like, well, that's these are relatively victimless crimes, right that they're They're just it's just numbers, it's just financial finagling, Like is anyone getting hurt. But the truth is these deals that were happening in the eighties and on Wall Street, both the the the Raider, the sort of corporate raider culture and all of this this short buying and selling that was going on. These moves demolished companies and put thousands of people out of work. That's part of the great story in Wall Street is the Charlie Sheen's dad, played by his reel dad Martin Gene, is a mechanic at this company that Gordon Gecko is about to you know, break apart and he's going to lose his job, which is a very sort of personal, poignant depiction of what I'm talking about. Yeah, that these are not victimless crimes, that they there's a massive price to be paid, and it's being paid by working class people. And so you know, one could argue that a two year prison sentence, Oh that feels fine, because all he was doing is like pushing pencils around and like, you know, changing numbers. Maybe that's not fair, Maybe that's not enough, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I were just talking about earlier about how rampant it is now as a thing. You're like, oh god, now it doesn't even like two years almost seems insane to get any kind of penalty whatsoever. And you're right, it's the blue collar working class that pays for it.
Speaker 2: That's our story. Rory scovell Any final thoughts reflections that it did it teach you anything about humanity?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like I always knew there was this evil out there, this greed, but you having quoted that speech does make me feel like, what's the harm in getting my hands a little dirty for just a couple months even you know what I mean, You can do okay, I got a little cash on the side.
Speaker 2: You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself. That is the lesson here, Yes, that's what I want to your point though, I really like that you're connecting it to this moment because the playbook hasn't changed since then. Right Bosky believed winning proved he was right, And once you convince yourself of that, the rules feel optional, which is very much the energy of this Trump administration.
Speaker 3: It's so much of it.
Speaker 2: And if you if you win, if you're just winning, if you're just making libs cry, then then you don't actually have to adhere to any standards or rules or frameworks or even the fucking Constitution.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: It's it's certainly a lesson in how critical these institutions to a degree are, not that they can't all be improved, but we're learning that if you demolish any of these institutions, you're up against a whole new a whole new beast of rebuild. If you get the chance, if you get the chance to rebuild.
Speaker 2: If if yeah, if we're lucky enough, yeah to come back in some way and build it back.
Speaker 1: Better, stronger, more rules, more regulations. Yeah, more accountability, but yeah, I think as individuals, if we don't have, if we don't care about accountability, then none of it can hold up.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what's interesting. Having done tons of these stories about about major snaffoos, and so many of them are the result of darker forces in human nature, the one thing that rarely happens is accountability of any kind. And in this case, even two years of prison is like, thank god, he got something like It's just it feels like a little small morsel of justice, not like full justice.
Speaker 3: Slap on the wrist, Roy Schohold.
Speaker 2: This has been an absolute delight and a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thanks for inviting me. I appreciate it. That was a fun road to go down.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll see out there. Snafu is a production of Ihearts Podcasts and Snafu Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company, post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Kline, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.