Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. He wrote the book on Aaron Rodgers. Ian O'Connor will join us coming up no relation to Seaton O'Connor, but Ian will join us coming up here in a little bit. Also, Noah Lyles in an hour from now, the gold medal winner in the one hundred meters Your phone calls always welcome eight seven to seven three. DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the TP Show. Good morning, those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, and our radio affiliates around the country, iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, and in some cities ESPN Radio. NFL preseason, the final week starters are going to rest, and you have two games on Thursday. You got games all weekend long. College football starts this weekend. And we realized that there was a Delaware States trying to get to Hawaii to play a game. They missed their flight in New York and their game is going to be Saturday night, but it would be it would start at twelve eastern for Delaware State, and so I would think Hawaii is already a big favorite here. We were trying to get an update is Delaware State going to make it to Hawaii, and Paulie said, right now, he's trying to get in touch with the Delaware State program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have their hands full right now, but we're expecting an email back any minute. We did find a little bit about the line was twenty eight and a half and then after the travel issues with Delaware State, it went up to thirty eight. Those people in Vegas, they know what they're doing. What a poorly rested Delaware State team might not put up as much of a fight. That's so Vegas to say. Bonus coverage. The Hawaii Rainbow's name, the team was always the Warriors, and then they changed to the Rainbow Warriors. Back in the seventies. The reporters noticed that there was a couple wins where there was a rainbow that happened during the game, and they had this running gag like there's a rainbow, we win, and became the Rainbow Warriors in nineteen seventy four, they dropped the rainbow part in two thousand didn't go over well, and in twenty thirteen, Why rightly brought back Rainbow Warriors as the sports team name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the Bows better than they do. The Warriors. Gorgeous helmets, the Rainbow gorgeouses. Yes, very underrated. All right, So we got football coming up this weekend. It's what zero week or Week zero as opposed to the first week of college football. I was also wondering about this now with the twelve team playoff and how you schedule your games outside of your conference. If you're in the SEC or you're in the Big Ten, are you going to schedule somebody outside of your conference? Look at Oregon, Penn State, and Ole Miss, three programs that have a lot of talent on there, but playoff hopes. You know, they would normally not happen because there were only four teams in the playoffs. Three playoff hopefuls set to play seven teams that are ranked in the preseason top twenty five. Combined those three schools, and in prior years you could make the playoffs, but it would be difficult if you were adding these teams that were really good. Eight additional teams now set to participate in the playoffs, so the schedule doesn't have to be as tough as it was. It's not as beneficial because you did need strength the schedule. Now it's just hey, we can get in and be one of these twelve teams. And I don't know if this is going to change out a conference scheduling and maybe on its way out, but just for instance, here, Ohio State plays four teams ranked in the top twenty five this year. This is preseason. Obviously, Georgia has five in the top twenty five. Oregon has just two in the top twenty five, but they do have Ohio State in Eugene, Texas four of twenty five. Notre Dame three of the twenty five. Penn State has two of the top twenty five opponents, Ole Miss three. Alabama has five of the top twenty five. Alabama plays Wisconsin this year. If you have five games against ranked opponents in the SEC, what does that mean? You know what is to gain? If you're Alabama from here on out with a twelve team playoff, if they're going to be playing teams outside of their conference. You got Michigan and Texas second week of the season, You're probably not going to have those matchups down the line because of the twelve team playoff. Yeah, Pauli and the other part of that.
Speaker 3: If you're going to schedule a big, big opponent in the first week, a second week of the season, it might be that neutral site game Clemson at Georgia Saturday, August thirty first, they're playing that at Mercedes Benz Stateium Atlanta, or you know, like the Cowboys Stadium they always host a big game, or Innanapolis will host a game. So those early season matchups Texas remember a couple years ago, Texas would play Ohio State, but they would do home at home. Those will be more neutral sites because you get more money, more payouts that way.
Speaker 2: Well, Texas played Alabama a couple of years ago. Opening up this season, or at least one of the early seasons, NBC and the NFL kicking off the season. Two big matchups coming up Thursday, September fifth, it's the Ravens and Chiefs that'll be on NBC and Peacock. And then on Friday live from Brazil it's the Packers in the Eagles that is on Peacock exclusively. Man, it got here quick, didn't it. And the fact that we're going to play a game in Brazil to open up the second night of the season, and then you're going to have Sunday Night with NBC as well, But it's a full slate coming up, and it starts off with NBC and Peacock. You have what forty days to go in the baseball season, so you have Orioles, Guardians, Astros, Phillies, Brewers, and the Dodgers. You look at the odds and it really comes down to it's the Dodgers. They got the Yankees, the Astros in there. Of teams that can win at all, those are the favorites. Braves have suffered so many injuries, but forty days to go, and those are the teams that are in the first place, and you're going to get, you know, this stretch drive and who's going to stay healthy. I think the MVPs are pretty much settled. Otani and Aaron Judge. Does that sound about right? I don't think we've wavered on that. I think the only interest maybe, well, how many home runs does Aaron Judge get to and as show, hey Otani get to maybe maybe fifty to fifty? All right? We tease this long enough first hour poll question Manliest State in America, because I of course am in one of those Manley states Maine. This week Seaton. The manliest state in America is.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: Of these six options that we've provided, uh one, it's getting closer as time goes by. One has been in the lead since and has no out let go. The other, as of this moment, has received zero votes.
Speaker 2: Okay, your options are we took Alaska out of the equation here, right, they're emeritus, They're they're the manlea state. Right, They're the.
Speaker 5: Wildest, They're the manliest. Your options are Arizona, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Texas.
Speaker 2: One. Wait, why did you put it Arizona in there?
Speaker 6: Because Arizona I feel like just based on the number of old people go to retire. Okay, well, they're doing a lot better than one of these other states that is on there. Okay, Arizona right now is I'll say this, Arizona is almost tied with Texas for manley estate.
Speaker 2: Once again.
Speaker 5: One state has has taken the lead and never given it up. The other one, as of right now, has zero votes. Arizona, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Texas, Wyoming. I'm gonna say North Dakota is the manly estate. North Dakota right now is winning. Uh they've got a solid hold on. It's getting closer, though, they're only leading by three percentage points.
Speaker 7: Right now.
Speaker 2: The state that has received exactly zero votes is Maine. Oh are you to blame?
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a recency buy in at the shot. Wait, I came up to Maine and now it's not mainly anymore. We're huge in Maine.
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 2: Because it's mainly is what it is. It's not manly, we're mainly. I am shocked. I am shocked. Wow, they're gonna export you. Yes, I'm gonna have to turn in my my main main card. Yes, you should grow a beard quick, do something. Go get that ax. Okay, thank you tom uh So. Man, I went fishing. I think about chopping wood had the boat. Well, I'm trying to do my best. That's that's for sure. But Maine has not received a vote. That's great. Shout out North Dakota though, killing it. North Dakota. I've been there. They might have the biggest mosquitos I've ever seen. My wife and I joked we went out for a wedding. We thought that one of our kids could get picked up by one of these mosquitos. They were They were so there there was room in the overhead bin for your luggage with these mosquitoes, and you're going and it gets cold out there and there is nothing to block the wind. So hey, shout out to North Dakota by the way.
Speaker 5: Uh, just not to underappreciate Montana coming in with a pretty strong, strong percentage as well. Right now, the races between North Dakota and Mountana for manly estate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna throw the BS flag on that because I don't think because I got to make if I wasn't here, Maine would probably be leading. Apparently. Well, you're you're taking it very personally.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a statement on you and your manliness or lack thereof.
Speaker 2: That's you know what. I'm going to credit the audience for having a sense of humor. Yeah, that's pretty good. That's its content.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I wonder if Maine is suffering suffering some spillover because people around the country.
Speaker 2: In tougher states. I think the Northeast is soft.
Speaker 3: You know Connecticut and you know Massachusetts, Connecticut is yes, yes, but Maine would seceed from the Northeast if they could. They would be their own country.
Speaker 2: If they could. They're they're pretty tough up there. Yes, I mean we're right up there. Well, maybe being up close to Canada, say, way hurt Maine. Yeah, five days, it can be wicked cold up here.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I don't know that Rhode Island is helping our cause either. As no imple of a state, You're like, well, yeah they are, I guess. But as I knew what happened, Texas has immediately jumped into the lead right now because I knew that they would not stomach this whatsoever?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 5: Texas now leading, followed by North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming. Hey, Maine now second from last. They've picked up a couple of votes. They just jumped ahead of Arizona. Josh and mein Josh, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Or on dB Hey Bud, so Hey, I got to check in on this poll question real quick. I'm from Maine, lived here in forty one years. Here's what's happening, all right. The guys in Maine are already at work, the mainly man, they're already at work. So the guys just waking up, they're getting ready to go to work. That's that's who's volting right now. So it's it's cute.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right, so.
Speaker 9: I call some real knowledge. I want to drop some knowledge on you.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 9: I got five things if you want to become a manor, these are five things you have to do, all right, you ready.
Speaker 7: Hold on?
Speaker 2: Let me yep, let me write them down. Okay, all right.
Speaker 9: Number one, you got to have a pickup truck. Okay, that's it's a non starter. You gotta have a truck. We don't care what shape it's in. Better off if it's a nineteen eighty four Chevy square body. We're good with that, all right. So that's the person. Number two, you got to have a pair of work boots. They got to be broken in. We don't care if you tie them, just wear them around, all right. Number three, you got to pay attention to this one. You gotta have some piece of equipment lawnmower, track their vehicle and have to sit on your front lawn. It doesn't have to run, and it's better off if it doesn't run. Just wave the hoog popped a little bit. That's how we know you're a true manner right there. Okay. Four, you got to have a garage, but you can't park your car in the garage. All your stuff has to be stored in the garage, and you park outside the garage. And number five, this is the most important one. You gotta always have a bottle of Alan's coffee brandy. You never know when I'll pull Bobby and Aunt Sally, you're gonna come over and they gotta have a beverage brandy.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let me see, Uh, gotta pickup truck. I think I might have designer work boots. I think they're really nice work boots. I might have work boots.
Speaker 4: You O.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, see, I don't know if Josh just helped mains case for the manliness contest though the.
Speaker 2: Most manly state.
Speaker 5: What you need in order to accomplish that is a truck, work boots, a lawnmower, and a garage.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't know that. Yeah, get it done.
Speaker 3: Gotta admit I did find one thing for you, Dan, a main tradition. It's Alan's coffee flavored brandy, number one selling spirit in the Great State of Maine.
Speaker 2: Wow, never heard of it. That's cool. Okay, all right, Okay, so garage, but it can't park anything in it. I'm going to put my boat in there. The equipment. Yeah, you do have to have a front loader, as we like to say, I need that. Maybe, uh work boots. I can work on that and pickup truck. Okay, yeah, I think so. Oh you know what we were we came up with yesterday accidentally. If we were rappers in the state of Maine, what would be our rap name? We'll have that for you. Coming on that, Yeah, I can't leave. Yeah, yes, if we were a rapper in Maine, what would be our rap name? I'll have that for you. But coming up first, Ian O'Connor wrote the book on Aaron Rodgers. What did he learn? And Uh, well, we'll see what the juicy details are coming out of that book. Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of that Ben Matherer show. A cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will? A world will? We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Ian O'Connor, who wrote the book Out of the Darkness, The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers. He'll join us coming up here in a moment. A couple of phone calls Dan in South Bend. Hey Dan, what's on your mind today? Hey Dan?
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call. I was gonna see if anybody would take me up on a pie of the safe bet. I think the Giants are gonna win eight games?
Speaker 2: Okay, So anybody want a piece of Dan in South Bend that the Giants will win at least eight games? Todd, I guess I should, because I said the Giants would be the worst team in football, so it would make sense for me to accept that bet.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Dan? That one pretty?
Speaker 4: Can I give you?
Speaker 9: Gather it?
Speaker 11: A little tit bit about Joe Shane. Okay, one of his best friends is Brad Stevens. They graduated together from DEPA. So it's a pretty good graduating class that DePaul Depa from Southern Indiana.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know what that has to do with possible success for the Giants there, but you got them winning at least eight games. Pie to the face Dave in California, Good morning, Dave. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Going there? I just heard you mentioned earlier on the show that you felt that Aaron Judge Show he would be in two league MVPs if show had not gone to the National League and he was having the same season as he's having. Now, did you vote for GMV Pupil the American Let Show, hay or Aeron Judge?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you got a factor in team Day. But I think it's a really interesting question. I think the fact Otani has surprised me. He has been this good coming off surgery and I know, not pitching. But if he goes if he's forty forty, it would really depend on how successful his team is. Aaron Judge and Aaron Judge tough to come up with an encore performance considering what he did last year. But once again, it goes back to team's success should factor in when it comes to MVP, and that might tip the scales towards Aaron Judge if show Hay was still with the Angels. A pole question has to do with the Manley estate, and I am very disappointed in this audience because they have designated Maine as the least manly estate, probably because I am doing my show from Maine today. Jim and Idaho joints is Hi, Jim, what's on your mind? Dan?
Speaker 7: Boys?
Speaker 4: How the hell are you?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 2: Great? Jim?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm really offended that Idaho did not make the whole question today.
Speaker 8: Here's why.
Speaker 4: Let me give you a real world example of roughing it up her by other day, my fiber optic went out, couldn't get the internet, couldn't connect to my Peloton bike. So that's that's not roughing it. I don't know what I'm a good guy.
Speaker 2: Prayers all right, thank you, Jim? Yeah, thaunts and prayers. Somebody check on Jim and Idaho make sure he's okay. Adam in West Virginia, Hi, Adam, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Dan, speaking of the mainly of state, al could seton who's been to WU not put West Virginia in there. I mean, well, I don't drink anybody. We had the best white water in the country. We have the Mountaineer. I mean, isn't there that? And Texas is soft dand they shouldn't be in the poll because I mean, anybody that gets defended by you know, horns Down, that's weak.
Speaker 2: That's okay, all right, Adam, thank you. I like this kind of mud slinging here between the states, and I agree if horns Down bothers you, how manly can you be in your state of Texas? Do you want me to disqualify Texas just based on horns Down? We can pull them all right down. We won't even have them on the list anymore.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 5: Montana, by the way, has jumped into the lead. We have Montana, followed by North Dakota. Texas is in third, though they'll be removed shortly.
Speaker 2: Main don't you have all those Hollywood types who've moved to Montana. They're they're they're soft. They're not going to go up there and rough it. How he long you know, lives in Montana. Yes, yes, I shouldn't say that he's not man. I was going to say that kind of helps Montana's longs there. Yeah, yeah, you're right, let me take that out.
Speaker 3: Yes, Howie's head should be the Montana state fly. He's got that big jawline.
Speaker 2: He's so tough.
Speaker 3: I would say that that TV show Yellowstone really hoped helped Montana's toughness. Like we knew about ranchers and you know, ranching and stuff like that, but when a bad rancher on Yellowstone got out the line, they just.
Speaker 2: Dispose of them, if you know what I mean. That's tough. It's a TV show. Poll I know people thought it was real. It's not real documentary. It's not a documentary. It is an unauthorized biography of Aaron Rodgers. Ian O'Connor, sportswriter, New York Times best selling author, And the new book is Out of the Darkness, The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers. Why Aaron Rodgers, Well, it starts with Vince Lombardi.
Speaker 14: Vincelambardi coached my high school. Is the only head coaching job you ever had before the Green Bay Packers. And he lived eight houses away from me in Anglood, New Jersey. And so I was always fascinated by the Packer mistake and thought I had that Packers book.
Speaker 8: Inside of me, so I guess this is the one.
Speaker 14: But Aaron from a distance, I always found him to be compelling, mysterious, intriguing.
Speaker 8: He got traded into my backyard.
Speaker 14: I was working on a Lebron James bio and I pivoted away from it to Aaron because I think he's a fascinating character, and I thought the marriage of him and this Charlie Brown franchise in New York would make for a great story. So far hasn't been so great. We'll see how it plays out this year. But that's why I took the project on.
Speaker 2: How do you avoid preconceived opinions notions of Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 14: It's not easy, but I was determined to go into this open minded, and I think some of his friends early on. I ended up talking to two hundred and fifty people, As Aaron said, I reached out to five hundred and half called me back, that's about right, and a lot of his friends, I think, early on, in close associates were concerned that I had an agenda that Frankly and one of his friends told me this that you're a media guy from New York, probably liberal, looking to destroy Aaron in this book and that couldn't be further from the truth. I had absolutely no agenda, what's so ever, and I wanted to be open minded about the vaccine, his stance on that and everything else, including the conspiracy theories, and so I think I warmed down over time, and that's the reason that he agreed to sit down with me at his home in Malibu.
Speaker 2: Unauthorized versus authorized. How different would this book be if it was authorized?
Speaker 14: Well, when it's authorized, Dan, obviously it's that subject's truth as opposed to the truth or the pure truth. And I think that unauthorized A lot of people readers think it's a dirty word, like it suggests a trash book. It's really a badge of honor. I think it's closer to a pure form of journalism, and the ideal is unauthorized biography with the subject's cooperation. With Aaron, I didn't get full cooperation. That would have required fifteen to twenty hours. I got two hours with him at the end of the process to check all of my facts, and he did. He was very candid and thoughtful and engaging at his home on the Pacific. It was a great backyard setting for those two hours. But he made the book better, and I very much appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure this out because is he leading us to believe that he wants to be left alone do his own thing, but then still enjoys the spotlight.
Speaker 14: I think he wants to be talked about. I think he always has, and I think he leans into it now. Back in August of twenty one, those four words, yeah, I've been immunized. That turned him into a villain. Before then, he was considered one of the more socially aware athletes and sports. He was celebrated by the same journalists who then turned on him after the truth came out about his unvaccinated status.
Speaker 8: And I think after that he decided to really.
Speaker 14: Dig in and if the media wanted to go to war with him, he would be a willing participant in that war. But I think at the end of the day, he likes creating news cycles. He can do it just rolling out of bed. I've rarely seen an athlete who could command the the way he can. It's amazing that here we have a Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes going for a three peat and Aaron Rodgers who hasn't been to the Super Bowl in a long time is still by far the most talked about person in the league, and that's really a major reason why I decided to.
Speaker 8: Do this book.
Speaker 2: Does he care what the public things thinks?
Speaker 8: He's humans, so he cares.
Speaker 14: He does, and he's admitted to me, at least in one answer, that it does hurt when he gets criticized.
Speaker 8: But he's a fearless public speaker.
Speaker 14: I do, on a certain level give him a lot of credit for that, because I'm not and I think most people aren't, and he's willing to sometimes unfortunately defend indefensible positions on things. But yeah, I think the criticism has hurt him, and I think he was hurt after those four words. Yeah, I've been immunized when he felt that he had some media allies who weren't there for him. He thought he would get some support and some of those allies would rush to his side, and that did not happen. So Yeah, he bleeds too, and I think that he tries to do a good job of not showing that, but it's there.
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 2: Ian O'Connor. The book is Out of the Darkness, The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers. Any similarities with other people you've profiled with coach k Bill Belichick, Derek Cheeter, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicholas.
Speaker 8: Good question, Dan.
Speaker 14: I think the one similarity is, and that's why I was surprised he admitted to me he made a mistake with his COVID stance back in twenty twenty one, is that they don't admit mistakes, these greats coaches and athletes.
Speaker 8: They don't admit weakness and faults and errors, and they never say I'm sorry.
Speaker 14: And I've come to believe the reason is because they fear that weakness will follow them into the competitive arena and compromise their chances of winning and winning at a big time level and becoming an all time great. And I think, really, when Aaron admitted to me he made a mistake and wishes he had a mulligan on his not his stance because he's still anti vaccine, but just the way he did it and didn't tell his truth at the time, which was he was allergic to an ingredient a Pfizer and Maderna and concerned about Johnson and Johnson's side effects.
Speaker 8: Said why didn't you just say that? And he says, yeah, I should have said it. It was a mistake.
Speaker 14: But when you admit fault guys like Aaron Rodgers, coach, k Derrek, Cheeter, Belichick, when's the last time you heard any of them say I'm sorry about anything? And I really think it comes down to they think it will hurt them in competition, and that's why they don't do it.
Speaker 2: If you gave Rogers a due over a mulligan of going to the Jets or the Jets bringing Aaron Rodgers in, does anybody have a different opinion on that either side.
Speaker 8: No, I think Aaron would still do it. I think the Jets would still do it.
Speaker 14: Of course after this season, if they have a losing season or he's hurt again, I think the answer would be different. But Aaron was no longer wanted Green Bay. He knew that effectively that was a firing. Even though he pushed for the trade. He saw this great opportunity Dan in New York to if he wins a ring for a franchise in the big city that has not been to the Super Bowl since January sixty nine, that's going to feel like three rings and it's going to be Messia in ninety four for the Rangers on steroids and I think looking at Brady with seven rings and Aaron with one, he can't close that gap. But if he wins the big one for the Jets, it's going to feel like he really did close that gap.
Speaker 8: And I think he saw that as a great opportunity, and I agree with him.
Speaker 2: I wonder about his career how he've views it because he's often referred to as the most talented quarterback or maybe the one or two most talented quarterbacks to ever played the game, but he has won Super Bowl. Has it been a disappointment to him in what he's accomplished, even though he's been League MVP quite a few times, and I think the.
Speaker 14: League MVPs helps a little bit, and he did win more of those than Tom Brady, but he that's not what people count. They count the rings and he's down six to the guy he will always be compared against, and that hurts. But he didn't have Belichick, arguably the greatest coach of all time. He didn't have Josh McDaniels, the best offensive coordinator in the league, and he didn't have that Patriot Way support system.
Speaker 8: There are people who believe.
Speaker 14: That Aaron would have won three, four, five, maybe six rings with the Patriots in the same situation, Brady was in special teams and defense and coaching were factors in some of those bitter playoff defeats. If you look at particularly the period Dan from twenty thirteen through sixteen, those four seasons of lost postseason opportunities, Aaron made big, sometimes magical, sudden death plays in each of those seasons, and there's nothing but failure in the box scores. So I do think his eleven to ten postseason record can be a little misleading. But at the end of the day, he's barely over five hundred in the playoffs and he can't really run.
Speaker 8: Away from that.
Speaker 2: You let me go back to you saying that he got fired by the Packers. Did he get himself fired? Like it's one thing that you know the franchise is going to turn on you, but it felt like they were at a point of no return that they had to do that.
Speaker 8: Well he ended up.
Speaker 14: It was a very similar situation to Brett farre ironically enough, and Aaron was on the good side of that one and now on the bad side of the franchise wanting to turn it over to Jordan Love. And I think that they always had later in his career the upside and the downside of employing Aaron Rodgers, but the downside got greater in that you had him. He wanted more personnel, say, and influencing decisions, and that's not really the pack away. I think they gave him a little bit more late in his career, but not enough. And then suddenly he's not making the playoffs. That last year he looked like a diminished player misses the playoffs. So we're not getting the upside when Aaron's healthy where we're getting in the play basically every year.
Speaker 8: So they wanted to move on.
Speaker 14: He knew that, and again with the Jets, it was a great opportunity, Hey, go to the big city. I'm coming from the smallest market in the NFL. Let me go to the biggest and try to pull off something that would be pretty iconic. And so it was both parties knew they had to have this divorce. But deep down he's hurt by that, and people close to him told me that. And so ideally, if he could reach the Super Bowl, I think the team he would want to face and beat is the Green Bay Packers for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: What was the one question that you wanted an answer to.
Speaker 14: Family estrangement, and he did address some of that on the record, and I appreciated that because he didn't know me an answer to that question. But it's gone on now for nearly ten years, and it's a complicated issue. There's not one defined moment, dan or issue that separated this family. But I was happy that he agreed to address that and also addressed that he his father told me that they had a hug last year at Lake Tahoe at the celebrity golf tournament, and Aaron came over in the middle of his Saturday round, saw his father in the crowd and gave him a hug and said I love you, and Ed Rodgers was crying, and it.
Speaker 8: Was an emotional moment.
Speaker 14: It only lasted about thirty seconds, but it meant something to both men. Aaron wanted to be his father. His father was his idol when he was growing up. And so Aaron told me for the book, and this is the first time he's ever said this publicly. He wants to have a relationship with a family member, this being his father, and so hopefully that happens. And I think the road to family reconciliation will run through Ed Rodgers, and let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: If you had to predict what is Aaron Rodgers doing after he's done playing, I think.
Speaker 8: He'll be one of the best analysts in a network booth.
Speaker 14: Ever, and I know he says he doesn't really have interest in that, but when he's talking football, there's nobody like him. I think he's even better at it, or would be than Brady and Peyton Manning.
Speaker 8: He's a computer.
Speaker 14: When he's talking football, it's mesmerizing and I think he would be unbelievable at it. And I don't see another path for him. I don't think politics is the answer. I think he'll stay in football and that seems to be the natural second career for him.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Ian, Good luck with the book. Thank you, Hey, damn my pleasure.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Ian O'Connor. Out of the Darkness with Aaron Rodgers, and there's a lot in there now. He did say, could you see him being an analyst? And I didn't think of that, But then he would be a good analyst. I just don't know. Is it something that would excite him. I don't know that it's like Peyton Manning wanted more than just being an analyst. Tom Brady I thought would want more than just being an analyst. But he is getting paid an exorbitant amount of money. I get that. I thought that that would be ownership stuff. I know he's involved with the Raiders. Same thing with Peyton. I just feels like, you guys, I mean, Paul, do you think Aaron Rodgers analyst is something that would satisfy someone like that who's so curious? And it almost feels like I got to dumb myself down to talk football America.
Speaker 3: I've always found that Aaron Rodgers is a bit of a no at all, and that's not necessarily an insult. I'm actually complimenting his football knowledge. When you talk football, he gets really into it. I think he needs an outlet for that. I think he's one of those guys who will do the games and then you won't see him for seven months. I don't I can't see him as a year round type media person, but a guy who's going to do games and you won't.
Speaker 2: He'll be gone, all right, We'll take a break when we come back. Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel. When he shows up it's time to leave. We're going to have him tell you the manliest state weather wise, and also if we were going to be a rapper in the state of Maine, what would our rap All of that coming up, and then Noah Lyles, the gold medal winner, will join us top of the hour. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: I was just walking around here in the main cave and I went and got my axe. That seat and bought me when I first decided that I was going to build something in Maine, I went out and got an axe thanks to Seaton. So, uh, there's a protective no, no protective covering there, Paully. That's what you do. You have a protective covering there and then that goes right there and then if you're walking around, if you happen to fall, then you're protected there. That's what we do, us maners. We know how to handle equipment. Yes, ba, I think I want to send you a cease and tosist with this axe. Why, first of all, it's too small to chop wood that thing.
Speaker 5: Wait too, it's more of a hatchet really it Well, okay, you have a technu you can maybe you know that might be more for kindling than than for like proper. Yeah, you know what I'm doing during the commercial breaks, I'm putting together a log.
Speaker 7: You know, cabin.
Speaker 2: You're building a log cabin in the no no, no, no no. Where you stack your logs? Where? So I've got the what's that called firewood log racking team log rack? Yeah this sounds this is not helping. Yeah, you're right, you know, once I get terminology down, I am going to be awesome firewood Yeah yeah, yeah, uh you know. Speaking of tough, Jim Cantorea the Weather Channel. He travels all over and usually going to places that aren't very nice and joining us on short notice so he can give us his thoughts on the manliest states weather wise that you've ever been to. Jim, thanks for joining us. The manliest state Okay, yeah, like horseh's weather, Like you've got to be a man to live here. What would be your top dude?
Speaker 7: Honestly, the worst.
Speaker 15: The worst weather is Chicago, you know, dealing with the wind off the lake because I was out doing live shots one time. And you know, I didn't even notice until I walked back into the truck. I'm like, guys, look at my no I'm looking in this little mirror.
Speaker 7: Look at my nose. It's white.
Speaker 15: I got frostbite on my nose. I didn't even realize that my cheeks were starting to turn white. So yeah, Chicago's got to be Uh, that's gotta get that's got to get the wind in Okay.
Speaker 2: What about rural areas, Oh.
Speaker 15: My god, the outer banks in North Carolina. I mean, they want to they want to hang me. They hate it when I come out there to cover hurricane because I am.
Speaker 2: But it's not your fault here. You didn't ran the hurricane, Dan tell them that.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 15: By the way, when you when you were wheeling that axe earlier, I thought if they were going to do a remake for Fargo, I think you got it.
Speaker 7: I think you're a shoe in just sewing out.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of Fargo, where like the coldest temperatures where you just got it? Because I'm in Maine and obviously you know I'm manly, but uh, I.
Speaker 15: Mean it's really the Northeast. There's just something about that biting cold after a storm. I mean one time we were in Massachusetts in March for a thirty five degree snowstorm and it was just like such a wet, gloppy snow and it went inside all of my clothing. It was just like, I am like hypothermic right now, I am absolutely I have to stop doing shots, so I'm gonna freeze it out.
Speaker 2: So that was that was right, you get Well, Dakota's got to be up there.
Speaker 7: What's that?
Speaker 2: North Dakota's got to be up North Dakota's got to be up north. You know what.
Speaker 15: For the record, that's the only place I have not been for the Weather Channel to do coverage. I've done every other stake, every other stake except North Dakota. So I gotta get that before I before I leave this. Okay, well you have Montana, ye, Minnesota, Wyoming did a you know thing. It's a Yellowstone Minnesota. Minneapolis always cover snowstorms up there.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, let's go around the room. If who thinks Jim Cantore has ever been struck by lightning? Polly, I'll go to you. I know cantorya the Weather Channel.
Speaker 3: I know he wants to would be great for the brand, especially live TV I don't think he has.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, has Cantori been struck by lightning? I think he's been mildly electrocuted by lightning. Yes, what do you think? I'm gonna say no?
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Jim, hold on? Are you gonna say no? Marvin, No, I'm gonna say no. Jim your answer.
Speaker 7: If I have, I don't know it, honest to God.
Speaker 15: I mean, I've been in thunder snow six different times with many different episodes of it, and that is something you actually can get struck during. Speaking of Maine, the only fatality that we have on record, Dan is a young man in Maine. He was out sledding and he got thundersnow in the middle of a winter storm. So you can't actually get struck by it. But I don't think that it's happened to me to the best of my knowledge.
Speaker 2: Delta's Delaware State is traveling to Hawaii and they're talking about maybe.
Speaker 7: They're trying to problems right, is.
Speaker 2: There a hurricane on the way, typhoons or what kind of storm is headed towards Hawaii? Have you checked your live local late breaking doler Doppler super Dooppler radar.
Speaker 7: Dan you know, I don't spend a lot of the time on the Pacific stuff, but I'll do this for you. Okay, now we do.
Speaker 15: We've been on this for the last days. First of all, there's the area right there that we're looking at.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's it. Here's Gilma behind that, and see another invest behind that. Okay. So here's what it looks like from a satellite perspective.
Speaker 15: So there's Hawaii, you see it. Yeah, this this area that we're watching, there's actually two systems here that are going to come together, and this is what they could look like as they come towards whise. This is what they call a GFS model. Hopefully this is pointed right at it. So here's what it looks. Let's get together maybe tomorrow, and then it's working its way to the west and then boom, here we are twelve Sundays. That Sunday morning. Let's just go back six hours. So this is about game time. It's pretty far away. Some Awahuo's right there. That's where the game is going to be played and where I have the plus mark. So it's pretty far away.
Speaker 7: There'll be some wind.
Speaker 15: I think there'll be some wind here, But right now, you know, the thing's got to come together, and it's got to develop, and if it doesn't develop, it's not going to be much at all. Listen, here's the deal. Whether's the great equalizer They need to play this game.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jim. Jim Cantori meteorologists. Weather Channel will follow him up with who you would expect, Noel Lyles, the fastest man in the world.