Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists.
Speaker 3: At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. This is the Daily Shown with your host, Jordan Clipper.
Speaker 2: Joe Gordon Clipper, we got so much to talk about tonight. Joe Biden is getting a celebrity makeover, New Yorkers are furious that traffic might go away, and Leslie Jones is joining us tonight plus plus plus the legend Hwe Lewis will be here. Hold on, let's get in a headline. Let's begin with the breaking news. Sam Bankman freed, disgraced crypto mogul and man who got bitten by a radioactive pube has been sentenced to twenty five years in prison for all his crypto scams. Now hopefully choke it up. Hopefully this saga has taught people not to fall for the easy money scam that is bitcoin.
Speaker 4: Bitcoin on fire, touching another all time high yesterday, Bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Hits another record. The world's largest cryptocurrency surged above seventy two thousand dollars today, a new all time high. Bye Bitcoin use kids college tuition accounts, sure thing, Yeah, not a problem. Speaking of money, Let's move on. To one of the foundational principles of America democracy. Money The green was out today when President Joe Biden made history with the biggest one day cash grab of all time.
Speaker 5: The Biden campaign just announced that it's blinged out fundraiser in New York tonight has already raised twenty five million dollars. The event will feature former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton in a huge list of others.
Speaker 6: They will be assembling more than five thousand supporters at Radio City Music Hall for this first of its kind fundraiser. One batch of supporters who will have a photo taken by famed photographer Any Leibovitz of themselves and the three president.
Speaker 2: Wow Biden, Obama, and Clinton all in one show. It's like Coachella for the kids who asked the teacher for more homework. I mean, this fundraiser is serious. Some people are spending five hundred thousand dollars to be there. Guys, I'm sorry, this just feels gross. Five hundred thousand dollars for access to a president. I mean, that's that's not how democracy should work. Save that money for Supreme Court justice. Much better bang for your body. She's fart shout out for an RV and a jet ski and you're there. I will say it must be a unique experience to have your picture taken with three presidents. And it's not just any photographer, it's any Leibovitz, maybe the most famous photographer. She did that one of Debbie Moore pregnant and naked, John Lennon hugging Yoko naked, sting in the desert naked. The point is you are going to have to be naked. Don't worry. Bill Clinton is way ahead of you, so it'd be fine, totally hung Let's move on, because while the presidents are hob nobbing in New York City, the rest of us have to deal with the traffic.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Every city is all too familiar with the side effects of traffic delays, pollution, flipping someone off a mile back and now you're stuck next to them for an hour. But now New York City might have just found a solution.
Speaker 6: Here in New York the first of the nation congestion pricing plans set to begin soon.
Speaker 2: Charging drivers are fifteen dollars toll to enter Midtown Manhattan.
Speaker 7: The MTA says seven hundred thousand vehicles enter this part of the city every weekday, and the new tolls will help curb congestion and possibly generate billions of dollars for improvements to mass transit. But for many New York City commuters, they're saying, no thanks.
Speaker 2: Another fifteen dollars just to get to work, which is it's absurd.
Speaker 8: For each and every one of you.
Speaker 9: There is a special place in half for you. All right, Lucifer waits for you. He waits for you.
Speaker 2: He sounds bad, but if you don't know in New York, that's a typical greeting. Hey, Jerry, Lucifer Winton, help for you? Your son of a bench? How are the kids? Sadie? Is she good? See you at the Montessori drop off? You jack off? Now, personally, I can see the upsides to congestion pricing. It's better for the environment, it reduces traffic. There's fewer cars on the road, so there's more space for you to get hit by delivery bikes. But understandably, people are upset, and the last thing I want is angry drivers in New York. I mean, can you imagine New York's already too expensive? A beer fifteen dollars, grab a lunch, that's forty bucks. You want to get a handy from Times Square, Elmo, not in this economy. For more on the congestion pricing, we go live to Grace Cool and Schmidt. Yeah, Grace, Grace, you're also a commuter like me. I assume you'll be sucking it up and paying the congestion fee too.
Speaker 8: Uh No, maybe you're a sheep, but.
Speaker 2: Not me, Grace. I'm not a sheep. That's what you sound like, Jordana.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna assure you and make a lovely sweater.
Speaker 10: Look, I'm not just gonna pay a congestion fee just because the law says I have to.
Speaker 8: That's not what America is about. Check your constitution, bro.
Speaker 2: You mean the document that is a collection of laws. That's what you're talking about. Okay, Okay, Grace, Grace, Grace, Grace, you can't avoid the fee. They'll have cameras that will catch you driving into the city.
Speaker 8: Yeah, on the roads. That's why I'm going to drive through the sewers.
Speaker 10: It's fast, it's efficient, and you might run into a teenage ninja turtle.
Speaker 2: I mean, ninja turtles aren't real, Grace.
Speaker 8: So I was hooking up with four normal teenage turtles.
Speaker 2: For all our sakes, I'm gonna move on. I should point out you can't actually fit a car in the sewers.
Speaker 8: Okay, then how about this. The fees only apply to cars and trucks. So I by a Boeing seven three seven. They're super cheap.
Speaker 2: Right now, those are really dangerous to fly.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna drive it, idiot, Grace.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it just be easier to take the subway?
Speaker 8: No, it's a hell hole down there, Jordan. Have you ever heard of subway flashing?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know it's a big problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of people don't even react when you do it. Everyone's on their phones. It's very hurtful.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rice, just take the subway.
Speaker 8: There's got to be a better way. I know.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna dig a tunnel under the camera so I can avoid them, and then over time I'll extend that tunnel to connect to different areas of the city.
Speaker 2: You're describing the subway, I'm.
Speaker 10: Describing an underground utopia, and I am gonna call.
Speaker 9: It the subway.
Speaker 2: Okay, great school and schmid everybody, We come back, Leslie Jones, I'm been joining us. Don't go away. Welcome back to.
Speaker 1: The Daily show.
Speaker 2: You know, all this week I've been sharing my opinions on the news, and rightfully so they're pretty great opinions. But studies show that other people also have opinions. So here with the installment of in my opinion is our good friend Leslie Joe.
Speaker 11: Wyes, that's right, your favorite Auntie is back to straighten out.
Speaker 9: America because America needs me. Lawd have mercy.
Speaker 11: The election is now less than eight months away, and guess what, America is on the path to doing something really, really stupid.
Speaker 4: The new Fox News polls finding former President Trump leading President Biden by five points nationally and it had to head matchup. This is his biggest lead yet against Joe Biden just over half of those voters, so that they are worse off today than compared to twenty twenty.
Speaker 12: A new CBS News poll shows forty six percent of registered voters remember the Trump error presidency as excellent or good, compared to President Biden's thirty three percent.
Speaker 2: If the election were held today, even Democrats I know think that Trump would win. What is wrong with us?
Speaker 11: This is like a movie where you see the disaster coming from a mile away and nobody is stopping at every time I turn on the news, I'm shouting at the screen like it's a horror movie.
Speaker 9: Don't go in there, America. Land the faces in there America.
Speaker 2: I mean, are we gonna really.
Speaker 11: Bring back a man who tried to overthrow the government? This is like asking Jeffrey Epstein to watch your kids, or a pedophile priest to watch your kids, or that sixth who used to work at Nickelodeon.
Speaker 9: To watch your kids. Hey, how about we do that? Don't let anybody.
Speaker 2: Watch your cat.
Speaker 1: And listen.
Speaker 11: I know some people don't care about January sixth, but let me remind you about something real quick.
Speaker 13: He was also a terrible in president. Do you really not remember?
Speaker 11: I know we don't have the attention spans anymore, but how can you forget the man who wanted to nuke a hurricane that actually happened.
Speaker 9: And the thing that gets me the most is there are people who are saying we're worse off than we were in twenty twenty. In twenty twenty, we didn't even have toilet paper. We was wiping our ass with family photos.
Speaker 11: And listen, I know the pandemic wasn't Trump's fault, but Trump made it worse every chance he got.
Speaker 9: Don't you people remember the kind of advice he was giving us.
Speaker 12: President Trump suggested without facts that bleach injections might fight COVID. And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside work or almost a cleaning.
Speaker 11: He told us to inject ourselves. We turned to him for advice and do it was I care yourself. I could go on and on about why it would be a terrible idea to bring back Trump, But you know what, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that America is about to do something that we know is harmful to us, because that is what we always do. Look at how we treat our own bodies.
Speaker 9: We know we need to sleep eight hours hours a night, but we stay.
Speaker 11: Up all night scrolling onto our phone until it falls on our damn face.
Speaker 9: We know we should take care of our mental health, but we.
Speaker 11: Entertain ourselves by watching documentaries in serial killers. We know we should go to the doctor, but instead we get medical advice from the internet.
Speaker 9: Listen, listen.
Speaker 11: I'm guilty of it too. When I feel sick, I look up symptoms on WebMD. I know it's irresponsible, but I can't control myself, probably because I'm dying of scurvy.
Speaker 14: We we are constantly making decisions that.
Speaker 9: We know are bad for us. We know we should be eating healthy, but instead we eat like shit.
Speaker 11: Were out here eating double stuff or and triple deck of sandwiches. We stack our food like a fjenga. You know what has only one layer? A goddamn carry.
Speaker 9: Just look at the Lynx we go. Just look at the Lynx we go to for fast food. Look at it.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 2: This week we learned the answer to the age old question how long would you wait in line? Just for an in and out burger?
Speaker 15: At the store's first location in Idaho, some patrons had to wait as long as eight hours. This week's opening featured customers even braving cold temperatures to camp out overnight just to be the first in line.
Speaker 9: You disgusting, glutting this motherfo eight hours.
Speaker 11: I'm not a mathematician, but it's you're waiting eight hours for fast food.
Speaker 2: It ain't fast, fool.
Speaker 9: Come.
Speaker 13: I believe.
Speaker 11: Some of the stuff we eat shouldn't even be legal. In fact, in some countries it's not legal. Their shit.
Speaker 9: That's been bad in Europe because it gives you cancer, and we're like.
Speaker 8: Nah, we good.
Speaker 9: Because we don't care enough to make good decisions.
Speaker 11: It's even acceptable in America to binge drink as an adult. Listen, it's cute at twenty one, but baby at forty five, that's called alcoholism.
Speaker 9: And after eating like shit, we.
Speaker 11: Know we should be exercising, but instead we're doing shit like this.
Speaker 16: And next, you've always wanted six pack ads but.
Speaker 2: Can't seem to get to the gym.
Speaker 8: Now there's a shortcut for that.
Speaker 16: Researchers at the University of Miami have developed a new plastic surgery technique called abdominal etching. It can reshape belly fat to make you look like you spent a lot of time in the gym. Tools and some foam it's a surgery, are used as sculpt abdominal fat to accentuate muscle lines, typically six for men and three vertical lines for women.
Speaker 9: Jesus wept, what is wrong with you people? You can't trick people into thinking that you got fake and that's why we got spikes.
Speaker 11: I can't believe that this is what we got. Our scientists working on. Forget about curing diseases. We got to make Jordans look like he doing sit ups.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe he use a different name for that joke.
Speaker 9: No, I think that's a good name. I think I think it makes a joke.
Speaker 2: Personally, Paul or a Steve or a great I mean, there's a lot of but.
Speaker 9: It's not just Jordan's.
Speaker 11: We all make wrong decisions, from food to exercise to mental health. Last, but not least most importantly, we know we shouldn't be dating DJs. But here I am swipe it right on everything God with DJ and his bio. Now I'm on the third hour of listening to his new song and the beat still hasn't dropped.
Speaker 9: Drop the big DJ, I drive. I gotta go get the fleet. So here's an idea, America.
Speaker 11: How about for at least this election, for this one thing, Let's not do the.
Speaker 9: Obviously stupid thing that we know we shouldn't do. And that means you're gonna have to put in some effort.
Speaker 11: It means getting involved in the political process.
Speaker 9: It means not sitting on your ass just because you're not in love with the choices.
Speaker 11: I know you like fast food, but this time let's eat a carrot instead of voting for a guy who looks like a carry.
Speaker 6: There you want?
Speaker 2: Look about hearing Lewis. When we're going around this, Joe, don't go along. We've the bag of the daily shoe. My guess. Tonight is a Grammy Award for the artist who sold over thirty million records. His songs inspired the new Broadway musical The Heart of Rock and Roll. Please welcome Huey Lewis. Wonderful. I know that helps helps with the hearing.
Speaker 1: How do I sound, Huey, Yeah, that helps my hearing.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Starky Hearing Institute for that.
Speaker 2: The Starky Hearing Institute. Yep, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You know what they did exactly.
Speaker 2: They brought together Huey Lewis and the fake news finally together together at once. It is an honor to have you here in New York.
Speaker 1: Thank I hate tell you my news is kind of fake too.
Speaker 2: So what don't break my heart? Hueye you're here. You got a big Broadway musical opening tomorrow. The preview start tomorrow, right and I'm sure you thirty million records sold, twelve ten hits. How do you start to narrow down what makes it into the heart of rock and roll?
Speaker 1: Which songs make it into them? Yeah, well it's it's a It came about because a producer called Tyler Mitchell, who's my neighbor's friend, was a big fan of ours. And I was over at my neighbor's house for my birthday and he was there, and my neighbor's a big musical theater buff and said, you know, suggested to his son in law Tyler, you should do a musical. We started talking about Mama Mia and how much we love Mama Mia, and he says, you should do a musical with Hughey's music. And so he said, what do you think. I said, sure, give it a try, and he went off with his pal John Abras came back with a very nice idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're saying, that's all it take. If I ran into you like a decade ago and said your music, your music is great, it's known worldwide, people love it. You should do more of it publicly, like I could be working with you right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well shit, Actually, you know it took nine years. So and what they did, what Tyler and John did, was they printed out all of our lyrics right and put them up on the wall and then just lived with them. And I guess there's some jogging involved and listening to lyrics, and this story emerged that it's rhyth relic, you know, pretty compelling.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, now, in creating a musical, you have to create a narrative, but these songs are written singularly.
Speaker 13: Do you.
Speaker 2: How does that look to take a step back? Do you feel like there was a sense of narrative to those songs to begin with, or is it sort of a reinvention of what was there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's reimagining the tunes really, and you know, they worked in a certain way anyway, but we had to tweak them a little bit in order to push the story forward, because the songs have to push the story forward, you know. But by the same token, you don't want to lose the integrity of the song. So that's the little balancing act, you know.
Speaker 2: So now the music set in the eighties, correct, It's just.
Speaker 1: Set in the eighties. And we had a lot of fun with that. We had a lot of fun with that. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's so interesting because I will I will admit the first cast out I ever bought The Small World by Huey Lewis and the News.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I used to dance around the house to sports with my family.
Speaker 1: You better that's a little too much information.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Okay, my child was conceived. Do you want more? Do you want more? Rock and roll is still beating. I gotta tell you it works.
Speaker 13: You were.
Speaker 2: Say, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dump. It really sets them food. What I will say is, as a fan, it was it's fun to go back and look at some of the videos from the eighties because you look at the music videos in the eighties and you were sort of on the forefront of a new art form. The music video is on MTV, and I when I'm reapproaching watching some of them, what's so interesting is I feel like your music video is, unlike many of the ones at the time, had a real comedic sensibility that you're not only presenting the songs, you found a way to inject humor into it. And so you're sort of at this new art form. You're you're you're pushing this forward, this this art and this music beyond, but you're also finding your way sort of as a comedic character and a comedian. Right, did you feel yourself doing that at the time?
Speaker 1: I think I should get some kind of an award for that.
Speaker 2: God, well, you know you like Fiji water Ship. Did Joey Lewis an award? For God's sakes?
Speaker 1: I honestly MTV of the videos were a necessary evil.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 1: We we started off as an audio band and and you write this song which tells this story, and now, oh my gosh, you got to make a video. So and so what we decided we were going to do them ourselves. We had a very Hollywood producer of the record company, got him to do our very first video, This is do You Believe in Love? Where we're all in bed and we're we're pointing at the girl. There's sex of us in bed pointing to the girl singing, and and he did. We shot this video all day and then and I remember we went to see the rough cut and oh my gosh, there was the record company was there and the video company and all of it. They're probably twenty people. And he announced that this was going to see the run through. It hadn't been colorized yet. It's going to be amazing when it's colorized. But here we go and he plays this video and turns the lights off, and my heart sank. I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever seen, just horrible. And when it ended, everybody stood up and gave us a standing ovation. So I remember thinking to myself, clearly, clearly, there's no really, nobody knows anything about this. We're writing our own songs, and we're producing our own music. We should be doing our own videos. So and that's what we did, and we we you know, through the song in the in the dumper, as it were. Don't retell the story. Just goof around and have fun and be funny.
Speaker 2: I think, in David, you said that a little better than I did. Actually, I want to give you credit. I would give you a ward. I feel like you perfected the comical take over the fancy sunglasses.
Speaker 1: It was one for me.
Speaker 2: It was a big one. Right, did you practice that in the mirror?
Speaker 1: That Varney Varney sunglasses.
Speaker 2: By the way, at the time, are you trying to get a sponsorship? Here is this heuie always always moving to Sarky Varney. Okay, Fiji water, we get it, hewing hee. It's not Huey Lewis blues in the plugs. All right. Uh, there was a wonderful documentary that came out recently that looked at the behind the scenes of We Are the World, and you talk about your experiences in that amazing, wild night of pop music. I think it was so fascinating about watching that documentary is when I was I was wondering, on a night like that, are people aware of the cameras there? There's no cell phones, people don't have assistance in that room. And then I was shocked by how sober everybody was, except for Algio Algiou. But it's surprising. I don't know if you could do something like that day. Were people as sober as well?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know there was check your ego at the door. Well, clearly nobody's going to pull an ego trip on this group, right, And so I think we all were a little nervous except Stevie Wonder, who was not nervous.
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: And I don't think Stevie's ever nervous, to be honest.
Speaker 2: And so was there again something like that had never happened before. I think with the presence of cameras there, did that add attention in that room?
Speaker 1: Well? Actually, there weren't that many cameras, and we were so focused on the I think it was pretty pretty transparent, actually. I mean what was interesting is that I think we all realized, I certainly did, that this was going to be the career event of my life. You know, I was I was barely thirty years old, and I'm thinking, what could be more amazing than this? And I think a lot of us kind of felt that way. There's still a kind of a bond between all the people who were on that night, and it was it was just an amazing evening.
Speaker 2: Obviously, there's a moment in there where Stevie Wonder throws out the idea of singing in Swahili, which seemed to really split the room. Yeah, Waylon Jennings, I believe walked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually what happened, and I don't think it's in the documentary, but yeah, whalee walked out. But and it clearly wasn't going to happen. And as we were kind of getting involved there and it was late, it was like three or four in the morning at this point, and Ray Charles is in the front row and he goes ring the bell. Quincy rang the bell.
Speaker 2: It's time to move on, Like let's go. Yeah, somebody brought a fact up there were like you're nineteen eighty four Sports was number one album. They were only it was on the charts for quite some time. In fact, that year there are only four other albums that were the number one album that year that was.
Speaker 1: Thanks for pointing that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to humble you here a little bit. Okay, see if you can turn this in a way to get some sponsorship. Okay. Thriller was a number one album Footloose Born in the USA and Purple Rain. That's a good year for music. It was a good year if you had to marry or kill Footloose Born in the USA, Purple Rain, or Thriller?
Speaker 1: What do you do if you have to do?
Speaker 14: What now?
Speaker 1: What do I have to do?
Speaker 2: Think back to the harder rock and roll of what happened back in my bedroom back in the day. You have to you have to walk one of these albums, So make love to the album one of those, the hypothetical, the metaphorical idea of the album. Okay, make love to the album. You have to marry the album, like engage in matrimony with the album, a real commitment with the album okay, or kill be done with one of the albums.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Out of those four albums, you have to make love to one, you have to commit yourself Mary to the other, and you have to execute one.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, that that's tough.
Speaker 2: Tough.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna execute Footloose because Kenny Loggins won't mind. He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonnabody.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna. I'm gonna make love to Born in the USA, and I'm gonna fall in love with Thriller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna fall in love with Thriller.
Speaker 1: I actually I actually will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I actually like.
Speaker 1: I like Off the Walls Out Michael's album a little better actually than Thriller even really, if I don't mind me saying that, you.
Speaker 2: Like a little bit of that disco dance vibe to it all?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, rock with you? Listen to that overnamed I.
Speaker 2: Think dangerous, dangerous, an underrated album.
Speaker 1: There you go, look at this.
Speaker 2: We can do this forever. I could pitch you on a musical, like, hey, why don't you use your own songs as a great hits? We can make some money off this. Yeway before I let you go. It's so interesting. You are a beloved musician. It's so funny. I was talking to you a little bit backstage when I told the folks, or when we were told that Huey Lewis was coming on the Daily Show. People of all ages who work on this show, they love you, and they're so excited that you hear you bring such goodwill to people. And I heard the story that back to the Future, Robert Zemeckis told you that Marty McFly his favorite the fictional character Marty McFly, his favorite band would be Huey Lewis in the News. Then in American Psycho Patrick Bateman's favorite band to kill Jared leto Jo is Huey Lewis in the News. And so in a fictional universe, you appeal both to a person who is a time traveler and a person who is a psycho killer. You are You are that universe.
Speaker 1: And you know what that's that's that that is fresh material for a musical.
Speaker 2: Three Here for the Hunger rock and roll again tomorrow, Mark on and Night at the Days All Drongs Theater, Joy Lowie, We're gonna take a twick place to do the WiFi postle.
Speaker 14: M.
Speaker 2: That's our show for to night out here.
Speaker 1: It is your a moment of that.
Speaker 2: You might not like what I'm saying, but it's a fact. You are bass in New Yorkers. The Damnita is a money pitch.
Speaker 9: We pay taxes. Where's the money going now? You're going to Texas again? Just to move around New York City.
Speaker 1: Walking is better than pay.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenh Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 9: This has been a Comedy Central podcast