Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to the Renee Stubbs Tennis podcast. Caitlin and I have finally figured out how to talk to each other on the other side of the world and make the audio decent, and we know that our listeners appreciate this. But what a couple of weeks we've had, Caitlyn. I am currently in Greece, and I'm not sad about it. It's been a long month or so and I thought i'd take myself out for a few days enjoy the beach. And you are currently still in New York.
Speaker 2: I am in New York.
Speaker 3: I did get a chance to get away to the Hamptons this weekend, where I played in the championships at wimbled Dawn my friend dance tennis tournament on grass for her birthday, which was amazing. I won it with my son Peter. But it was a far cry from Southwest nineteen, which is where you were for quite a while. So take us there. It's been a week since we chatted. You played the Legends, I saw some tweeers and I did some incredible pyrotechnics on the court from you. What was it like being there this year?
Speaker 1: Hot? Real hot? You know? I don't know about you guys, if you've ever been to London or England in general. But it's not built for the heat. There's these things called air conditioners. They don't really exist there. We had to have some brought into our apartment. So it was very hot. But we'll take it because it's synonymous with bad weather and rain, so we'll take the heat over that any day. It was in the mid thirties, which is like above lest like ninety five degrees pretty much every day, high nineties almost every day. It was really really hot for the players, so us oldies, we were flaking, some of us. But I will say this, Richard Krychek, who I played against in the Mix, who of course won the singles many many years ago, had open heart surgery about sometime last year at the end of last year, and he played in the Mix this year, and it was an absolute joy to obviously see him alive and thriving and out back on the tennis court. And we know, obviously he had such an amazing career and a winner of the Wembledon title, so it was nice to play against him, you know, somebody that is about my age, and so to see him out there doing great things, but we got absolutely smoked by Tommy Hassen Martina Hingis, who, without a doubt should just still be playing in the main draw of the mixed doubles, if not the singles for the both of them, because they're both in unbelievable shape and they hit the ball. They never didn't miss a ball, and we were like we are long time retired, me and Fabrie Sontro. We are fun. We can volley, but you know, the standard was a little too high for us in the first match. But having said all that, it's such a delight to constantly go back every year. I'm so lucky. I'm so grateful that the All Engld Club invites me back to play in the Invitational, and please do it again next year. I know that I'm going to get aged out at some point, but until that happens, I just I love being out in the courts, and yeah, it's all always a great experience. But that aside, let's get into the main part of why we're here, which is talk about the two champions and what they were able to accomplish. And there's just so many storylines, there's so many, so many matches that I want to talk about. Clearly, we spoke about the first week of the tournament when we spoke, but Caitlin just overall, I mean, where do you even want to start. Let's start with the ladies. I guess the semi final match with Mahovah and Coco. Incredible third set, just drama filled.
Speaker 3: I love that matchup. I think it's a really interesting contrast in styles. Obviously, as anyone who listens to the show knows, we are massive Carolina Mahova fans in addition to being of course massive Cocoa gart fans. And you know, Mukova plays the most complete style of tennis on the women's tour, and she has basically since the abdication. Maybe you could say of ash body a couple of years ago. She's got all the tools, she's got slice, she's got an incredible net game. We saw her play very brave. There was a diving volley at one point in that third set tiebreak. You know, a lot of people, I think a little disappointed that Coco didn't go through to the finals. For me, I was kind of shocked. She made it this far in a good way, and I thought she battled and played great and I liked that she went for the dropper on match point, even though she didn't get it, because you got to play bold tennis to win a championship match, and and you know, I think she could definitely hold her head high, you know, after this Fortnite. So for me, that probably was the match of the tournament, just because it had the best storyline, It had the best contrast, it had the most dramatic moments. But I also wasn't really mad at the final. I thought it delivered in a pretty holistic way, even though I was not terribly surprised that Noskova had had more game than Mukova did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, there was so many great matchups in that half of the draw up the top with the women's right. You know, I spoke about pagoul I thought, you know, had a real chance to win the tournament, and she went out with a little bit of a surprise to Cocoa Golf. As you said, Caitlin, you know, I think even Coco even though she was disappointed to lose that semi final, having match point and oh what a match point, which I'm going to get to after this, and I'm shocked. You said you were surprised and happy to see her go for a drop shot that is definitely not the shot I would have chosen on that shot. But having said that, you know, her getting through and beating Pagola in three sets after losing the first set from me was a great sort of indicator for her to once again just get through matches when it doesn't look like she's going to do it right. Like everyone predicted that Pegoula would probably beat her on a grass court. Pegoula comes in playing well on grass, Coco hadn't had the results and you know, to lose a first set, and she definitely stepped it up. She did not miss a lot of fourhands, she was very aggressive on the serve and her nerves held up when it counted against Pegoula. And then of course subsequently we see the match up with Mukhova, after Muhova you know, takes out Osaka. So everyone was sort of thinking that maybe Osaka, after being Sabalalnka, would be the one, and she's had all the experience and winning major titles and is this the year she's going to maybe get to a final of Wimbledon. Finally, nope, she gets to take out by Macova in a great match from Mukhova. I mean that was for me, you know, arguably sort of the big match up to see if Muhovah could step up to the big time in these moments and to beat her in straight sets at first set tiebreak, I think, sort of let everyone know, Okay, I'm I'm the player to beat in this section of the draw. Maybe, But there were so many great storylines up the hulf of that draw with Mokhovah, with Osaka, with Pulgoula, with Gough and then of course GoF and Muhova gets to the semi final and that semi final. I mean, I can tell you, Caitlin, there was not going to be a loser in that match because they are both so respected and so liked with Coco and with Carolina. But the people watching that match outside of the center court in the players area were losing their minds watching that match. I mean I was sitting behind you know, I was sitting in front of Fabrie Santro, and I was like every player you can imagine was sitting there watching this match. It was clapping going on. There was like unbelievable moments where people couldn't believe it. And of course that dropshot that Coco attempted to hit on match point. The thing that I think about there is the drop shot had worked pretty well for her in the match because she was surprising Mukhova, who kind of wasn't expecting to be moved forward. But I'm quite certain that if Coca go back and hit that forehand inside out, down the line and come into the net where she had been so successful in the match, she would do that again. That was an ill advised time to hit that drop shot, only because Caitlin if she'd hit it over, which she won the point eighty percent of the time, probably, But you don't have the feel on that point like that. It's so hard to hit a drop shot when you are absolutely shitting your hand, shitting yourself. And that was the time not to try and go for it because it was such a big point. Hitting it would have just been better. But you never know, You'll never know it didn't go over.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 3: I think, regardless of what kind of fourhand she hits on that shot, does she have a better shot at winning Wimbledon against Linda and Naskova.
Speaker 2: I think she does. I actually think she wins that match up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting way of thinking about it. You know, Coco has the ability to sort of frustrate those types of players. And by those types of players, I mean big hitters, right, big ball strikers that sort of rely on I wouldn't say they rely on short balls, and they rely on hitting winners. Coco is the epitome of getting one more ball back in the court. And so if Miskova had gotten a little tight, which she clearly did in the second set, is Coco the type of player that would frustrate and probably beat Linda Noskova. Maybe, But you know, I hate speculating on that because we'll never know, because Linda Noskova could have stepped up and absolutely pummeled Coco second serve. She could have pummeled the ball to her forehand. She could have got short ball after short ball on that side. You just never know. Because Moscova also possesses a game that Coco doesn't necessarily like if she's on, which is hitting the ball huge. So it's kind of like a double edged sword. If Moskova gets a little tight, yes, Coco is the biggest nightmare for her. But you know Coco might lay an egg as well and not hit the ball well enough in Nosco could hit her off the court like Yu Stremskit did last year. So I don't know. As I said, I hate speculating. What I saw was a terrific final in the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really hope we see more of Mukhova. I think a lot of us were super excited to see her get to the final of the French A couple of years ago. She lost the Yagis Schwantek and a pretty nervy, not super confident performance. I was delighted that she settled in played brave. Obviously, Noscova got a little tight in that second set after kind of storming out to a six' to two what was it five to two, LEAD i mean it looked like it was going real fast and things were pretty doom and gloom over On mukhova's, side and then she kind of kept chipping. Away they had a really long game or two right at five two and five to, three and THEN i was just really excited to see the caliber of the exchanges and the rallies get. Better the points were more thoughtfully. Constructed it looked, like you, know we'd sort of settled. IN i would love to use this opportunity to SAY i really do, wish and we've talked about, it you, know from time to. TIME i really do wish the women would play best of five in these last couple of, matches just BECAUSE i think we'd get a higher caliber. Final we'd get a guaranteed sort of contrast in dynamics a lot of times in these. Finals and we saw it obviously last year with Amandais, sumova who was just totally overwhelmed by the moment and didn't get a. Game you, know they happened too. QUICK i was very thankful this went three AND i thought we got a quality. Final BUT i really do think at this point nobody plays best of five in week. One maybe everybody plays best of five from let's say the quarters on or maybe the. SEMISON i think that that's a good way to address a lot of these parody for pay, conversations AND i think it's a good way to make sure that we, get you, know we get high caliber finals.
Speaker 2: Matches what do you think about?
Speaker 1: That, WELL i don't know who it was that brought this, up BUT i think maybe a great mixture of that BECAUSE i don't agree with, that because, listen you And i've been talking about getting rid of best of five. FOREVER i think a sort of a balance of that could be best of four if it goes two, sets or we play a ten point, tiebreak which is basically the same.
Speaker 3: Thing, anyway you're just throwing in a entirely new format that nobody plays on any tour or.
Speaker 2: WHATSOEVER i love. That.
Speaker 1: YEAH i, mean if we're talking about women's, tennis and no offense to the women or the, men the women are going to be playing longer. MATCHES i just feel like they will play longer matches because they don't have the big. SERVES i, mean you saw the men's they're playing long rallies now as, well but they do have huge, serves and they win a lot of points on their, serves particularly on. Grass but you know you're not going to see that quick of a point all the. Time it's certainly not going to see it on. Clay with the, guys they're going to be playing forty ball rallies every single. Time SO i just think that if we're going to do it for, both let's do it for. Both let's do it two sets to all in a ten tipe. BREAK i, mean what's the difference when someone, says, well come, on that's sold on a. Second you, know we don't want to finish a match with a ten point we do if it gets to six. All at every major in the fifth set we play a ten point type. Break so what's the difference instead of making everyone go through another? Set Which i'm at tennis. PURISTS i love watching. TENNIS i love watching great, tennis BUT i don't want to see it for five hours and fifteen minutes like we had to for the quarterfinals With novak And, faa and arguably that Fucks. Novak for the next match Against, sinner he was. DEAD i, Mean yannick played the most perfect match in the semifinal Against. NOVAK i was, THERE i was, LIVE i watched, IT i watched it in, person And novak just was a step slow and? Everything, now is? It because he thirty?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 1: Probably Is yanik the best player in the world when he's. On, Probably but if it goes five and a half, hours if he doesn't go five and a half hours in the previous match and it goes maybe four, hours does he have a little bit extra in his? Tank probably two days. Later SO i don't. KNOW i think that there's one way to get around this and we can satisfy everybody from the. SEMIS i would like to see quarters, maybe But semi's. On you play best of, five and you play best of four with a ten point. Tiebreak what's the. Difference what a great culmination of four amazing sets to? Go, okay here we, go let's go ten points for the.
Speaker 3: MATCH i, mean you, KNOW i like an incredibly pointy end of a, match AND i think a tie break is a fun way to do. It AND i think that's Why mukova And goff's tie break was so. EXCITING i do want to shout out a couple of other really great. Storylines obviously you Mentioned Naimo osaka went out after taking Out. Sablenka neimeosaka had a fantastic. TOURNAMENT i hope she holds her head. High she was, fit she was, fun she was, smiling she was blasting winners off both. Wings her serve was. Incredible i'm really excited for her because she looks like a new. PERSON i know she has a new team members in terms of her agent and. Representation she's JUST i couldn't be happier for tennis that we have an older version of her back but now with you, know sort of wisdom and a lot of experience under her. Belt and, YEAH i think the other WOMEN i want to shout out Are Yelena astapenko for winning a mixed doubles. TROPHY i think it was the only title she hasn't won at the pro. Level she's won everything, else including girls. Titles she's won a, Doubles she's won a Singles Grand. Slam she had never want to mix Qualifying hall Of fame Listen elene asked to Pinco hall Of fame. Speech i'm in the front.
Speaker 2: Row Kiki.
Speaker 3: Maladenovich we haven't talked about her very, much but she was a stallwrot on The Double store for a, while playing With Karri garcia among other. Players she got her First wimbledon doubles title with A chinese. PLAYER i was really excited For. KIKI i like when when the players you've you've heard about for years they kind of dip and dodge and dive and duck and, dodge and then they come back and hold, trophies and you, know as per, usual the women are doing a ton of hard work holding up their half of the. Sky because women's, tennis as we have, noted is, compelling it's filled with, characters it's got absolutely incredible, rivalries and it's it's not short of.
Speaker 2: Drama.
Speaker 3: ATTENTION i do have two more questions for you before we shove off into the men's side of. Things where Does Arena seblenka go from? Here, well apparently in The Greek islands you're going to run out that's where she. Went, NO i don't THINK i, am BUT i have seen Her instagram and she did mention that that's what she was going to be doing Post. Wimbledon on a serious, note where does she go from? Here she goes to her favorite, Surface she goes to hard. COURT i don't think she's panicking. Yet we'll see how she does on the hard. Courts that's the real. Tell clearly we know it's her best surface and it has to be a. READJUSTMENT i don't know what's going. ON i don't know where the lack of confidence is coming.
Speaker 1: From she was absolutely hit and blown off the court By Naomi osaka in that. Match so did she play Pauly? No Did naomi play? Fantastic? Yes SO i don't know where she goes from. HERE i think THAT i don't think her, team she or anyone in the tennis world is super panicked about that, yet because is she the favorite still going Into cincinnati and you, Know toronto and whatever she chooses to play on the hard court and of course THE Us. Open, yes there are some questions to be answered on her from her when it comes to having not won a major title this year as a number one player in the, world and so there's a lot of a lot of pressure on her shoulders to be able to do that at THE Us. Open so, yeah so we'll see how she comes back from this little trip To greece and reinvents her game a little bit on the hard. Court but those questions certainly need to be. Answered, Yeah so let's take a little, break come, back and we're going to talk about The fellers when we get back up and. Break, Okay, So, caitlin you, know we were pretty enamored with the women's. Draw it was awesome and AS i, said AND i don't want to toot my own, horn But noscov did Beat Mattie, Keys AND i, said whoever wins that match will be in the. Final AND i also may have said that the person that comes through that section will maybe, win because whoever comes through the top half of the, draw you never see the person that comes through the toughest part almost win the. Tournament it happens so much and So but on the men's, side arguably the toughest section was won by the best player in the, world which Was Anik sinner who went. Through of Course Novak, djokovic who we all thought was probably the one player that maybe had the mental capacity and the game to win on. Grass but a little shout out to our Little Arthur. FAIRY i, mean come, on this guy grows up In wimbledon five ten minutes from the tennis courts and makes the semi finals Of wimbledon and beat some pretty incredible, players including of Course Grigor, dimitrov who probably would like to have that match back after being up a break in the fourth set, twice not, once but, twice and didn't cause out that set and ended up losing in five. Sets and then he just Smokes koboli in the, quarters and then you, know just came up against a buzzsaw In, zverev who really played well in this. Tournament right through to the, final but a little shout out To. Ferry his ranking is going to shoot, up AND i doubt he's going to need a wild card Into wimbledon for a very long time after that.
Speaker 2: Performance do you think we'll be Seeing Arthur?
Speaker 1: Faery, yeah he kind of reminds me of A Sebastian grojon or like A fabrice Soun. Toy he kind of reminds me of A french, player because maybe because it's the fact that he's, little AND i played Against grojeon in the last match of my invitation AND i played With fabrees.
Speaker 2: In my fairy is Also, french so that's probably.
Speaker 1: Why well there you. Go and Also Arnold colomont remember, Him so he kind of reminds me of those. Players not a lot of, firepower very strategically smart on the, court very good player on, grass knows how to come into the, net beautiful, volleyer great, anticipator pretty good surve for his height and how much are we going to? SEE i think he can make like a third or fourth round of THE Us open if he plays really. WELL i don't think he's going to make another semi final of A Grand slam unless he does it again At wimbledon because he has the support of the. Crowd but, yeah that was a really, fun sort of interesting, story and of course The brits will losing their mind over. Here The World cup was sort of still taking precedent over, anything but the fact That fairy made The samis was pretty pretty great. Story.
Speaker 3: YEAH i, mean as you, KNOW i was pretty heartbroken that my Guy felix couldn't quite get it done Against. DJOKOVIC i feel like The djokovic that rolled pasted into into the semis after that was. DIMINISHED i think you're. RIGHT i don't think he brought his. LEGS i think he was, done and you, Know center sent him off in strade. SETS i do think we have a major charisma problem on the men's tour When Carlos alkarez is not playing. Tennis maybe it's BECAUSE i talk with more casual fans who are a little disappointed to see somebody like Alex verev who's a major step. Down although to your, point he played a great tournament and he's certainly. Improved he's hitting harder, serves he's hitting more accurate, serves he's hitting harder four. Hands he's not you, know he's not as passive on porn, construction but, YEAH i mean it's it's not, close certainly in the, charisma but also in the in the skill. Set so you, know Alex verev getting through nobody seated in the top ten to get to the final was sort of like this.
Speaker 1: Gay, YEAH i. KNOW i mean the semi final With novak would have been. GREAT i think If novak had had his, LEGS i think it would HAVE i Think yanick would have still. Won and AS i, SAID i was there actually watching that. MATCH i had a great, seat SO i could really see the sort of accuracy of the shot, making the serving Of. Yannick AND i did bump Into yanick the day before AND i watched him practice the day before and he served like thirty to thirty to thirty five at least minutes of. SERVING i think more like forty minutes of, serving AND i just, thought, oh you, know and he does serve a. LIGHT i did bump Into Darren kyle and he just said that he does serve a light in practice and you can see the he's reaping the benefits of those of that practice. Session AND i always, say you play how you, practice and if you think you can hit ten minutes of serves and go out there and serve. Perfectly you are. Not it's not going to happen unless Maybe Pete sampras was that type of guy that could be a little bit more sort of loose and go after. It But yanick's and this, tournament and WHEN i bumped into him after the, PRACTICE i sort of mentioned that and he, SAID i got. IT i, said how are you? Feeling and he, SAID i feel great after my practice. Today and that's an ominous sign because you could argue to say that he wasn't playing great tennis coming into the. Semifinals he was a little. Patchy he didn't look SUPER i don't, know comfortable on the, court especially after going five sets in the first set in the first, match and he just looked a little. Unsure everyone was constantly worrying about the heat and is he going to be able to handle the heat? Again and he gets into that semi, Final, Caitlin oh my. God Like i'm looking at the stats from the match Against, djokovic sixteen aces against arguably the greatest returner of all. Time he didn't serve a high, percentage but every time he got his first serve in he won eighty eight percent of his first serves and he won sixty one percent of his second. Serves that is just ridiculous. Serving and when you look at someone Like, novak he won seventy six of his first, serves which is pretty, good and thirty four percent only on second. SERVES i mean that means That yanick is just crushing his second serve and that is a sign sometimes of the legs not being. There and just to, illustrate why three of thirteen, breakpoints that's how many he had thirteen breakpoints On novak and he broke him three. Times novak had one break point one the whole, match as Did Alex verreth one. Breakpoint that to me just shows a guy who steps up and stepping up to the line in these big matches on a fast surface like a hard court and a grass And yannick is dominating with his. SERF i, mean the guy is just phenomenal when he gets at first serve in the. Court you know when he's at his. Best he's just incredible to watch as a tennis. Player the ACCURACY i SAT i was sitting with in the last eight club members tickets and SO i was sitting with other tennis players and we just, Marvel we just go this is just. Ridiculous the shot making that he can produce is. Unbelievable it's.
Speaker 3: Optimized, yeah it's hard to get excited about it for.
Speaker 2: Me But i'm glad he. WON i was. Rooting i'm glad that he.
Speaker 3: Repeated but, yeah his style of players is, optimized is WHAT i would.
Speaker 2: SAY i Miss carlos acaaz a.
Speaker 1: LOT i know you say, that and we all, do trust me WHAT i tell. You we all. Do but you, know here's a guy that you know in the first, set for, example in the, final he was, outplayed he was, outserved he was struggling to get the serve back in the court As vereb was playing, UNBELIEVABLE i, mean really truly. Amazing but when you look at them for our, listeners it's really good thing to go to go to The wimbledon dot com, website for, example and look at the stats for every, set, Right And yannick really did play well in that first. Set he did not drop off his level at. All zvereb, did, Right so when you look at like the winners to unforced, errors you, know his unforced errors in the first, set for, example were twenty, five, Right azveres were forty. Five zvera was going for a. Lot AND i would argue and say That zvereb won the big points in the tie break and that was really the only. Difference you, Know sinner had more breakpoint, opportunities all the, things But vereb give him. Credit and one of the things THAT i was, Like, oh could this be the day on set point he ripped his forehand when he had an opportunity to rip a, Foehand zverev ripped the, forehand AND i, thought, wow is this a New? Zverev because after winning the franch he comes in and he knows the biggest issue for him is hitting the forehand under, pressure, Right and SO i would argue and say That sinners didn't really drop off his level at. All his level stayed the. Same in actual, fact if you look at the, stats every set he got better And zverev got. Worse, Right but the one point WHERE i knew it was over was the first point of the tie break in the second, Set and we knew how big that second set. Was If vera goes up two sets to, love you never, Know, Caitlin you never. Know, instead the first point he hits a forehand and misses it by a, mile AND i was and it was a mini break in the tie, break which is you, know can come. Back but as soon as he missed that, FOREHAND i, went that's. It that's, it because that's the shot that if he makes and he's confident, with it's the shot That yannick, goes holy, shit where away go because you can see as the match went, on every big point he went to the forehand and he got either errors or a short ball or whatever when he as soon as he shanked or missed that, FOREHAND i was, like that's. It the match is, over because that's the time where great players don't make the dum make the bad. Errors and that's when he made the first bad error on a really big, point AND i thought that's, it And yannick ran away with the. Tiebreak and as soon as he won that tie, break it was a different level From, yannick and it was an obvious level of what we used to From zverev against the great players Like sinner And, alcarez and that was a difference maker and that's not going to change until he can hit that forehand when it really, matters not just on set point when he lost his mind when he won the first, set and remembery he turned around to his players box and he was, like come, on and it was like it was so over the. TOP i was, like, dude you got two more sets to win against the best player in the. World calm. Down AND i just thought he felt like the. Tournament he was going to win it after that, set AND i was, like. No as soon as he mis set fourhand and the second set, tiebreak that was.
Speaker 2: It i'm glad he.
Speaker 3: Didn't i'm glad sinner, one And i'm very very excited about WHAT i hope will. Be no More zverev In slam, finals although you, know who, knows who knows what will happen with the. Men i'm really waiting for that sort of, koboli the sort of second tier players to kind of step up and keep. Improving AND i think for, me the all's, well that ends well with the gentleman singles. Tournament But i'm delighted that you took delight In center's, efficiency ruthlessness and you, know deserved. Victory so that's that's fantastic as an. Outcome what other storylines or players or ideas from the. Men are you sort of taking away from this next? Tournament LIKE i, SAID i was sad ABOUT. Faa he's now switched, coaches So i'm hoping he comes to the next phase of hard, courts which is traditionally his the surface he does the best.
Speaker 1: Time are you breaking news? HERE i did not know.
Speaker 2: That who Would he fired His french coach a couple of days. Ago we don't.
Speaker 3: Know he hasn't announced, yet but he's parted ways with his longtime. Coach maybe you, KNOW i don't, know maybe if you run into him in The Greek, islands you, know put a little bug in his.
Speaker 2: EAR i like when men are feelised by.
Speaker 1: WOMEN i am available and if you'd Listen Todd woodbridge a couple of weeks, ago he said That I'm i'm not. Available actually what AM i? Saying i'm actually not a for a little. While, Anyway DID i just fire?
Speaker 2: Myself but, ANYWAY i Tell serena that you said.
Speaker 1: This if there was a player THAT i would love to coach on The men's to, it it would be him, because as we've talked about many, TIMES i would loosen him up by sort of making him understand his athleticism and the way he. Plays he needs to just relax a little. Bit we saw some amazing tennis from him Against. Novak that was definitely the match of the tournament on the men's. Side five hours and fifteen, minutes the longest Match Novak djokovic has ever played At, wimbledon which is pretty. AMAZING i, MEAN i have to give kudos To. NOVAK i, mean to get to the, court to the semi finals, again to do what he does at his, age put his body through, that and he played really well Against. Yannick he just didn't have. It he didn't have the legs against you, know a guy playing so. Well but faa, YEAH i, Mean i'm happy for him that he's sort of getting to these pointy ends and maybe getting over the, line hopefully at some point at THE Us. Open BUT i wasn't really happy to See Taylor fritz play. Well but unfortunately for, him it looks like the knee has fled up. Again this is a, bummer major bummer for. HIM i feel like we might have a good summer From Francis. Tiafo you, know grass is not his, thing even though he won a, tournament coming in To. WIMBLEDON i just think the way he plays it doesn't really suit his game that. Much but, YEAH i Mean kobboli sort of getting to the ladder end of a tournament, again even though that was a pretty disappointing loss for him in straight. Sets BUT i don't, Know you're, right there's just no players that are putting their hand up and, wanting you, know just the mantle of especially When carlos is. OUT i, mean there should be players banging down the, door And verev is the only one that's you, know doing that right now outside Of.
Speaker 3: Yannick, YEAH i think for, ME i just want to, See, YEAH i want to see some. HUNGER i want to see some. OPPORTUNISM i want to see, like, hey are you guys the best players in the world or? Not like what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Girl like the, WOMEN i, mean look how many have stepped. Up can we just give a shout out to the to the small country of The Czech. REPUBLIC i think it's not Mean checkia, now it's checkier if you're talking about it in a sporting, term because they wanted to The Czech republic wanted they didn't think they had great cheers like go The Czech. Republic they want to go. CHECKIER i, see that's what apparently is why it was done for like The olympics and things like. That but when you're talking AND i did talk to a player From Czech ya and they, said we're from The Czech, republic so they don't even agree with.
Speaker 3: This, okay all, right, well yes that country has really punched above its. Feet i'm really waiting for The czech men to do. SOMETHING i want my, guy Yourkub menchic to get to get us. TOGETHER i, mean he's Met king the pointing and the, tournaments but he's got a breakthrough And hetchka how to he blew it against he blew it Against. Ferev he's he's had a he's had his. Looks and it's like maybe The czech men need to be given a pep talk by The czech. Women let's Get martina in there to scare the ship out of. Everybody, martina you need to listen.
Speaker 1: Here you, guys you have been there, before ever Since. Linder, okay we need you to pull your head out of your.
Speaker 3: ASS i can't believe eight years that we've been doing this, Podcast i've never heard Your martina and A radialova impersonation that's pretty.
Speaker 1: Special, yeah you've never heard me talk about. Her and when she talks About Chris ebott's size Of Chris evott's, hands which for those of you that don't, Know Chris ebott's hands are, tiny and she would always Say Chris abbott is the greatest player with his smallest HANDS i ever. Saw it's ridiculous how Small chrissy's hands. ARE i don't even know how she could hold a. Racket, seriously it's like she has children's, hands but a true. Story she laughs about. It but, yeah it's. Amazing when you've Got, vondrusova you've Got, kridjikova you've Got, kovidova You hadshover in the. Finals this is all in the last ten, years by the. Way now you've Got noskova Beating muhova in the. Final it's just like. Incredible they produce and if you want to be, it you have to see. It and that is what happens in The Czech. Republic and you, know there's some young girls in the juniors that are looking at, this going, yep that's going to be me in five. Years and they know it and they believe in themselves because of. It it's. Incredible they play against each other in club tennis all the. Time they are constantly one to trying to one up each. OTHER i, mean you've Got stritz of BUT i mean there's so Many, safarova like all these players that were at the tournament watching, it And i'm, like it's. Insane you guys could literally it's, yeah blown away by.
Speaker 3: It well maybe It'll what will happen is the same thing that happened In italy where the greatest generation of, Women francescas gave on A you Had Sarah irani as part of the doubles duo With Roberta Vinci Lavia. Panetta they inspired all These italian men all these years. Later so maybe The czech next generation is Watching Lyndon noskova lifting the. Trophy there is a MAN i should shout out a. Couple in, Fact Tokita, oda The japanese wheelchair, legend defended his title is womenon Title, yes and The british duo Of Alfa hewitt And Gordon reid won the Men's willies, doubles so they had homegrown. Champions Kate middleton sent them a note, Obviously Princess. Kate that's not bad to take home a, check a trophy and a note From British. Royalty so you know there's some men who were stepping up and wanting the.
Speaker 1: Spotlight And Ui camichi is that how you say her? NAME i should know of the wheelchair for the women's wheel chairsing was final who Beat groot six, love six love and the Final huet Has they're ranked one and. Two it's Just committee has never Won. Wimbledon commitchee is actually a number one player in the world. Currently but to, win, oh AND i was pretty unbelievable to this greet has been so good for so, long but the overwhelming tears From committee to win that. Tournament AND i did see her later that day AND i just, said, congratulations you're A wimbledon champion, now and she was just like so, thankful And I'M i have to. Say we sit in the locker room a lot of us and watch the wheelies when they're on and we are blown away by their. Talent we mention it every. Time you're so, Good caitlin of bringing it up about the wheelchair, TOWN i.
Speaker 2: WELL i like. To that's WHY i recommend. It incredible it's.
Speaker 3: Incredible it's really great live and it's not. Boring this is not SOMETHING i do as a favorite. Anybody it's legitimately interesting and great and horrid to. Do and watching, them.
Speaker 1: Did you see the crowd on court one was. Unbelievable it was they went bonkers watching this. Match it was so fun to. Watch and so, YEAH i highly highly say that everyone should one time in their life go out and watch those wheelchair tennis players play because AND i will tell you, this a lot of them have better service motions than half the tour for. Sure so some of the tour could go and watch their service motions because they're. Incredible all, right, Everybody, well we've got to take a short break and we'll be. Back another little shout out in the juniors who we can't, forget But Jordan lee from THE us ended up winning seven five and the third Against Cruise, hewitt of Course Leyton hewitt's. Son what a great match that, Was my. God it was sixth ward To cruise and then six four seven five To Jordan. Lee so some, young really up and coming talented young guys doing the biers as we, say out there on court, one and it was an amazing to see someone like and Hewitts son out there in a. Final, uh it was just it was. Awesome so, yeah, terrific terrific matches all.
Speaker 3: Around there is a lot going on on the internet right now talking about how the coverage happened here in The. States, now you weren't here in The states because you were there coaching and you don't and playing and. PLANE i, DON'T i don't need you to say. ANYTHING i know that you, have you, know ties to this world still and you're an excellent broadcast for, Yourself so don't want to put you on the, spot BUT i do have to say it is time for UH espn to really really put out to pasture a few of the the folks who've hung around too long and are not doing a good. Job AND i think what was so noticeable about this year's coverage is basically who's up to the task and who.
Speaker 2: Isn't Andy raddick did a phenomenal. Job he was.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal he was phenomenal in a couple of different. Ways he was great on the desk with where where he had to do a lot of hard, work and he was when paired with the macnroe. Brothers he did a good job of elevating them and being conscious not to talk over, points answering questions instead of just raising, them putting, pointed thoughtful analysis in places that it hadn't seen the light of day a lot of times with a lot of the broadcasters we've been hearing for a lot of. Years So i'm truly not trying to throw, flames BUT i think when you have a broadcaster who is as talented As Andy rattick, is AND i know you know you AND i are both fans of, Him we're both fans of his, podcast and was certainly a fan of him when he was a, PLAYER i am really impressed AND i think the level has now been set for one of the main voices OF, espn AND i hope that the rest of the crew takes. Note and by, CREW i don't mean the other people on the. MICROPHONE i Hope i'm talking about the. Producers i'm talking about the decision, makers And i'm talking about the people who signed contracts many for years and years and.
Speaker 2: Years maybe in a way that.
Speaker 3: Is committing broadcasters to careers that are maybe too, long AND i think we have to look at what is serving the, audience AND i Think Andy rottick is a really good example of somebody who is serving the audience very. WELL i also want to shout Out Eugenie, bouchard who was not ON, espan she was on The World feed calling FOR bbc as. Well she did a phenomenal. Job there's some new, voices, Obviously i'm a massive fan Of chris You. BANKS i think there's a couple of really great. Voices BUT i urge these, broadcasters AND i urge the governing bodies giving rights to these. Broadcasters you can have the best product in the. World AND i don't think, anyone certainly in this conversation is going to argue that tennis is not an incredible product. Itself the matches are, great the characters and the personalities and the tournaments are. Fantastic what the broadcasters do to showcase, that to explain, it to bring new people into the, fold to talk to people who've been watching it. Forever with prep and research and technical analysis like you, do it really matters and it makes a big. Difference and if you're getting a call on a match by somebody who's adding a lot to your, experience sometimes by not talking but instead waiting for choice moments to explain things or describe what they're, seeing or if you're having an awful experience because somebody won't stop, talking or somebody's not prepped or doesn't pronounce things a correct, way or is not adding to your understanding of the sport or what you're. Seeing it's a huge difference, maker and it really turns people off where it turns them. On AND i just think those decisions have tons of, weight AND i would like FOR, espn specifically because they're the ones who have three out of these four, slams to really step up when it comes to being decisive about who and what is bringing value and who. Isn't and shout out To Andy raddick because he's definitely definitely somebody who did.
Speaker 1: Well, YEAH i, mean, look, obviously you, Know i'll keep a lot of my thoughts to myself on this just because for obvious. Reasons BUT i think that the thing THAT i would like to say on this is THAT i think one of the things that you, said one of the things That i've always, said and this is true of every, sport is that a great player or a former great player doesn't always make a great comment AND i really do. BELIEVE i, mean look at and and he's a perfect. Example And andy won one major, title right more than any but a lot of people over the last you, know twenty one hundred, years but you, know you would say that he is not as an accomplished singles major champion as certain other. People look At Chris, eubanks he's a perfect example as. Well a fantastic, commentator very very gets really into the weeds of. Stuff AND i have listened to other sports WHERE i have found certain commentators are so great to listen, to and they were not great. PLAYERS i didn't win multiple world championships or MULTIPLE wnba titles OR nba titles or even a title at, all but they are also my favorite. Commentators and SO i think, that, YEAH i think that one thing that you AND i have always talked about that it doesn't just because you're a great name doesn't mean you're a great. Commentator and so you, Know i'm not going to mention any. Names i'm not going to mention any specific networks or. Anything but that's the thing THAT i just would like that all networks, realize you, know when you sit down and you, listen is it the best. Listen are you learning the most from this? Person are? You are they pronouncing the names? Correctly are they getting the sport? Right this is the key WHEN i sit and watch a. Match if you're a, layman If i'm, obviously If i'm watching, Tennis i'm a a, tech you, know quote unquote an, expert, right SO i see things very differently to you, KNOW i see things differently to. YOU i see differently to somebody who played recreational, tennis for, example are you going away from that match learning more about that player and that match and the? Sport and if you are learning more every time you listen to somebody in their, commentary that's a good. Commentator and SO i think that's the, key and when to pull back and when not to. Talk certainly we get told all the time by a, producer for, example let the pictures tell the. Story you, know you don't need to, Overtalk you don't need to tell us too much in these. Moments let the pictures tell the. Story, sometimes let the noise tell, Them let the crowd tell a. Story and SO i think that's the one thing THAT i would like to get. Across so whoever's doing that bravo to, them and the ones that are, not they're the ones that maybe need to be stepped.
Speaker 3: Aside couldn't agree More AND i think, again the producers are really the people who need to be paying, attention the people who run these, broadcasts because, again the product is growing in, ratings it's growing in, fans it's growing in spectator, interests it's growing in, popularity and those are all great. Things imagine the opportunity we have to keep a, spectator an audience, member a fan for, life or to turn them off because somebody hasn't bothered to do the basic prep and rolls into the studio acting like it's a job for life that they don't have to prep, for or you, know making it all about. Themselves, AGAIN i bring this up only BECAUSE i know the caliber Of, EUROSPORT i know the caliber of THE, BBC i know the caliber of The world. Feed And i'm not saying everybody's always doing a great job on all of those things or PEOPLE i prefer to, others BUT. Espn the contrast between the people who are doing really well and the people who are not was start this year because they have some good voices and also because they, don't AND i would love for, them in particular to think about the fact that they are the main doorway through which, many, many many people are experiencing, tennis AND i really want to urge them to think about who it is that's shepherding those people through their fanship and to understand what they're. Watching Tennis channel had a couple of dark years there for, me and then they've really. Improved they've done incredible stuff with the on air, talent but also they've done incredible stuff with the, app and they've made improvements to the way that they show recaps and the way that content is. Surfaced to, me, like there's no reason that things have to be done the way they have been. Before AND i think you're to your, point like just because you played tennis and had a bunch Of Grand slams doesn't make you a good. Commentator and for some of these, guys they've had a lot of years at, it you, know And i'm not sure that they need any. More and SO i would love very much for people to have a real audit, about you, know what it is that we're offering audience members and how we can do.
Speaker 1: BETTER i know that it's tremendously difficult position to be in as an executive producer of these networks to make these. DECISIONS i do know that because there are a lot of people that love certain commentators and they and there are a lot of people that don't like the same. COMMENTATOR i, mean there's been, Times caitlin where even on My twitter, feed you, KNOW i have one person that'll say the most awful things about, me and then literally on the next tweet is praising how GREAT i. Am so it's, like you can't please, everybody and that's half of the. Reason SO i JUST i do urge anyone out. There it's just, like the most important thing is if someone comes up to me and, says, HEY i learned so much WHEN i listen to, you OR i really, listen you, know AND i learned something about, Somebody AND i think that's the. Key AND i think the one thing About andy that's really great is that he gives you a nuance and a look into the nitty gritty of. Tennis and that is my favorite kind of. Person and you, know it's HOW i feel WHEN i listen to Pet. Coo it's HOW i listened to various different other commentators is that you learn a little bit about, them not only as a tennis play but also as. People so so, yeah, listen obviously not for me to talk, about But i'm happy to be here with, You, caitlin and that's.
Speaker 2: All thank, you and it's mutually all.
Speaker 3: Right, well we have a couple OF i don't want to call them down, weeks but the tours In europe go back to clay will have the hard court swing here In North america before too. LONG i hope you have a phenomenal couple of days off and in The Greek, ISLANDS i hope if you run into any tennis, players you get all the gossip and you share it with.
Speaker 1: Us, well the thing, IS i don't really need to get all the. Gossip it's all over the, internet so there's no need for me to do anything at this. Point but, anyway, Yeah i'm gonna have a couple of days. Off we, will we'll figure out what we're going to.
Speaker 2: Do next.
Speaker 1: Week you'll see, Me caitlyn will be back In New york On. WEDNESDAY i believe WHEN i see, it you're not going to see me await that. Long so and of COURSE dc is coming, up and all the hard, Courts so we can't wait to get into that swing because we LOVE dc and they have a hell of a Play they have a lot of great players there this, year but lots to, go lots of hardcourt still to, come and a lot of hot weather still to embrace In New. York And i'll be back there very very. Soon. Caitlin thanks. Mate where are you right?
Speaker 3: Now by the, Way i'm at The Cityview Racket club here In Long Island, city just played some, Tennis i'm doing some work and Then i'm going to.
Speaker 1: Go it's where we play a little paddle city we get a let's get a shout out To cityview because it is. Great it's got, paddle it's got, tennis it's got all the, things got a, bar it's got the racket, clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Pro, clubhouse crosh up and as of, today we have a fully functioning cold plunge and a newly remodeled.
Speaker 2: Sauna so you.
Speaker 1: Got to come back and visit. It it's the only THING i was complaining about was the. Sauna SO i am. There how about we do a live stream one from there maybe next week or the.
Speaker 2: People demand, it maybe we'll have. To if the.
Speaker 1: People demand it tell right, everyone thanks for joining us this. Week it was a, wonderful wonderful grass court season with some incredible players and ladies and. Gentlemen lendonnoskova not only inside the top, ten but A wimbledon. Champion and MAY i, SAY i Think Carolyne muhova is going to have a really GOOD Us. OPEN i just have a feeling so fingers. Crossed you know how much we love? Her she, Came, oh so we didn't even friggin really talk about the, final but it was just can we just talk about the? SPEECHES i know you hate WHEN i do, this but the crying the best friend when she, said my, friend you know you're not my friend. Anymore there were just so many great. Storylines wimbledon was. Amazing Linda's noskova losing her mom two years, later winning the title and doing it against a FRIEND i think made a big difference for her to be out there with someone Like carolina and not somebody that she didn't really know. Alike so just kudos To. Linda won an amazing tournament and of course back to back wins for the one and Only Janick, sinner my golf, Buddy so well done to both of. Them to everybody who won a title At, wimbledon and we'll see you on the hard. Courts thanks for joining me. Today keith Lenn we'll see you, soon. Babe