Speaker 1: Worry today's episode Canday's spoilers for Skeleton Crew episode six Oho, my name is Jason Tepti and on Mersday Night and welcome back x ray vision of the podcast where we'd dive with your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: Movies, comics of pop culture.
Speaker 1: Coming you remind our podcast where we're bringing you in this new year, the same thing. Three episodes a week, Tuesday Thursday, with an extra episode on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: We do know when that's gonna come out.
Speaker 1: We don't really know, but happy New Year to you all.
Speaker 2: There'll be short it probably Tuesday, most likely Thursday, and then we'll see.
Speaker 4: In today's episode, we are talking about Skeleton Crew episode one, six zero Friends Again.
Speaker 3: I wonder who that could be.
Speaker 4: Referencing who's once again betraying all of his friends and ending.
Speaker 3: Up scamming again. Could it be Joed Silva, whatever you call him.
Speaker 1: Probably let's get it to it, okay. Episode six zero Friends Again picks up seconds after the previous episode ends. We find the kids falling down.
Speaker 3: A shoot their goonies of them.
Speaker 1: Very very goonies of them from the One Eyed Willie Treasure Room of tac renod this trapdoor that they triggered to escape from jod semi on purpose, kind of on accident, and they are then spit out onto a desolate, snowy field that we are soon to find out is like I would say, two one hundred meters or something below the landing pad.
Speaker 2: Of the spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not great.
Speaker 1: And KB has been, we are soon to learn, has been kind of getting run down by this very dirty and steamy and cold adventure. Her servos, her machinery is getting gunked up, and also the fall didn't do her, didn't do her any favors. So Fern does some quick maintenance on KB, and Neil and Wim are clearly like very very concerned and very worried. John meanwhile, not worried at all. He climbs out of tach red tunnel leading from tech Renas treasure room, and he is like covered rosy in jewelry, in fine gold necklaces, wineries. Yes, he's looking he's looking quite royal, and he is quite delighted with himself. He appears before the SPA staff, who are shocked to see him, and he's like, haha, well, I'd like to pay for my room, but I'd like to leave. Well, he can't because He's immediately waylaid by Gunter, one of Brutus's pirate crew, played by Julil White of Arkle Fame.
Speaker 2: Of course, delightful to see him, love to see him in the Star Wars universe. Good for him.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, when you add in Kelly McDonald, when you add in Jude Law, when you add in the Goonies, feel and now Jalil White, this is a very like old millennial gen X coded.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: It's it's a smart way to bring the nostalgia to the and everybody.
Speaker 3: While making it a very like, really enjoyable watch.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Jod tries to get s M thirty three to like, you know, resists, you know, get in the fight so he can get out of there. Sm immediately incapacitated. But really, before Jod can try anything, a squadron of X Wings show up and they start fighting the pirate chips. The pirates have to flee far below on that snowy field. The kids look up and they come to the realization they wait to sing and are the X Wings the good guys. This is very interesting because it shows you that again, the kids have been out of it for who knows how long.
Speaker 4: Told are not complete. You know, we know that they have these kind of myths of the Jedi, but the fact they don't know what an x wing is also just want to say, very nice to see. We rarely get any last Jedi nods, but during Jod's little escapade we do get a I believe a g Deck, which is the alien that's kind of covered in all those weird like fleshy things. And in the Last Jedi she's the woman who sings like there's a version who sings like the opera.
Speaker 3: When Rose and Finn are going through.
Speaker 4: So it's nice to see and I like her last Jedi riff.
Speaker 3: Whenever we get.
Speaker 1: One, the kids have a disagreement, is like, well, we need to get back up to our ship. Our ship is all the way up there, so let's climb. KB meanwhile, who is still very shaken from everything that's been going on, and while the maintenance did help, it's clearly she's still limited, and she says, I disagree. I don't think we should do that. I think it's too dangerous and I think it's a bad idea. Whim Meanwhile, has like made the acquaintance of various trash crabs, these like greed scavenger crabs who just keep saying like follow us or you know, just repeating words that he says to them. And he's like, well, and I think the logic is kind of sound rosy, which they're from here. The crabs are from here, so why don't we follow them? And maybe they have an easier way to get back up to the ship that's not climbing the very treacherous climb. Uh, women, KB go with the crabs. Fern and Neil go climbing. We go to Captain Brutus's ship. They're coming out of hyperspace. They've escaped from the X Wings and the captain is presiding.
Speaker 2: Over pirate court.
Speaker 1: The accused sits on the docket is Jod Slash Jack Slash Slash, whatever his name is. Brutus with alacrity, finds Jod guilty and sentences him to.
Speaker 2: Death by airlock.
Speaker 1: We're gonna let him out the airlock, but as various members of the pirate court, we're looking on mention, hey, we are pirates. But there is a very stringent legal code that says the accused must have equal time to argue their side of things. So Brutus very begrudgingly turns over a a uh sand of hourglass and is like, okay, go ahead, a very cool like lava lamp, lava lamp, A good a good plasma lamp.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jod then very patiently, with a kind of air of weariness, like, oh this, you know, I guess it's my time and I have to tell the truth in the face of that injustice. And he makes his case, and his case is essentially a class warfare case, saying, hey, we're the down trodden, we are the poor, we.
Speaker 2: Don't have anything.
Speaker 1: No one is looking out for us. Therefore why shouldn't we Robin Steely, how much as can we survive?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I like, brow you also stole from these people?
Speaker 4: Like I feel like it's not like a great argument.
Speaker 2: By getting it's a very lizen. It's an argument that has its merits if it's not coming from John, who is a person.
Speaker 3: Truth truth.
Speaker 1: So he gets he finally gets to the point he's like, listen, I'm tired and hungry, and I know you're tired and hungry, and.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: You guys are working for Brutus and it's very dangerous work when you really get any kind of loot. Well, I know of a place that's just loot, loot, loot, loot, loot.
Speaker 2: All it is lute. They actually make loot there. It is at Aton.
Speaker 1: Treasure Plane, at home of the Old Republic Mint. And guess what I got the details from the legend himself. Tack renod like bullsh fucking bullshit, I call bullshit tech.
Speaker 5: Round finally fucking like speaks like come on, realists, man, Yeah, like, come on, guys, don't trust Joad again.
Speaker 2: But also don't do it again.
Speaker 4: He's scamming as always, so good for him, incredible, you know what, maybe more sensitive because he can scam anyone out of anything.
Speaker 1: He can talk his way out of a situation. So he's like, listen, I know this place. He sings the tack renod at at and song.
Speaker 2: He says, I have.
Speaker 4: A who doesn't want to listen to Jude Law sing at because I was more.
Speaker 3: Let's add more in the last two episodes. More she's sea shanty.
Speaker 2: So he sings the sea shanty.
Speaker 1: And this seems to convince everybody that maybe this is the you know, the score is worth the risk and he and he says like, I've got the details. I know where it is, these kids being from their proofs that it's real. I got the details from tach Renod.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's make the biggest score of our lives. It'll be big rock Candy Mountain. You know, it's like candy and cakes all day for dinner, and an endless fountain of coins and it'll never run out and we'll all have as much as we want. Brutus is like, okay, but if the treasure's not there, you're dead.
Speaker 4: Very dumb for John to do this when he has no idea if this is actually what the treasure.
Speaker 2: Is, very very dumb for Brutus.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, Yeah, I think Brutus, why are we gonna trust this guy again? But I'm glad we do because the story continues. Yeah, the long walk with KB and Whim, KB collapses. Her hardware is it's all gunked up, all this like this planet. The environment is not great for her machinery. And they've been in steam rooms, they've been in water, they've been in snow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 1: And she basically walks Whim through what he's going to need to do in order to fix her machinery, and luckily they're like in this trash field where there's SM thirty three probably would have ended up if he had been completely destroyed.
Speaker 2: There's just droids that are ded droids everywhere.
Speaker 1: Up above, Fern is really pushing Neil Art on this climb, but Neil points out, hey, listen, like I'm literally cheaped differently than you. My legs are shorter, my arms are shorter. You've got these long limbs. You're very athletic, like not everybody's like you, and you can't just be like, let's, you know, climb, climb, climb, climb climb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a really good duality in those two scenes because also we're dealing with the fact that KB is like she's disabled. Fern will not do anything different because she doesn't want to acknowledge that KB has like different needs since the accident, and she just wants to pretend everything's okay. And that's actually like very real to how it is when you have a disability, Like people just want you to be fine, because then they're not. They feel uncomfortable exactly, And I.
Speaker 3: Thought that was really cool.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot too Star Wars disability representation. In the last few years, my great friend Jules Green, who is a fantastic writer, he wrote a piece of Adventures in Poor Taste about a character called Baylor Balance, who's like an old Star Wars character that they brought back in Bounty Hunters, and he's had this really incredible kind of journey as a character who at first was just like he's a cyborg, but now they've done a lot of like interesting representations of like disability in space and war and cyborgs and war and disability. So I'm glad that we got that here, and I'm also glad that it was Bryce styles sour direct thing, because I do just think.
Speaker 2: There's a sensorship.
Speaker 4: She's so fantastic, Like, when will we give her her own trilogy?
Speaker 2: Please, guys, She's real good.
Speaker 1: More on this storyline and a bit, Wim gets all the stuff and repairs KB, and as he's doing so, KB is talking about the situation with Fern and admits that, you know, I can't with you because I don't think I can make the climb physically.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: And Fern doesn't appreciate that, doesn't understand that since the accident I'm just limited in different ways, and she doesn't want to hear it, and she also brings up and I thought this was very sensitive and very real. Like anybody who's you know, there comes this is the age when you're a kid where friends start going in different directions sometimes, you know, because you know, when you're a kid, you're just like that kid lives next to me.
Speaker 2: Therefore we are friends.
Speaker 1: We are friendly, like you're close, but like at that age, you start realizing like, oh, we're different people, and that brings up all different kinds of emotions. And I thought they did a really good job here where Kabe basically says like I and I didn't bring this up to Fern because I'm afraid of losing her friend. I don't want to lose my best friend and then I'll be alone.
Speaker 4: Also, like when you're disabled and you start saying like oh I can't do that, I'm tired, or I can't make it, you do quickly use lose friends as a kid.
Speaker 2: Especially, Yeah, because people just yeah.
Speaker 3: They want to do fun stuff.
Speaker 2: They want to do.
Speaker 1: Fun stuff, or they don't want to be you know, being there's a hierarchy that's very very rigid when you're a kid and it's that and you feel it all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Wim performs a procedure and then KB goes very ominously.
Speaker 2: Quiet for a while.
Speaker 1: It's very very scary, but then she reboots and she's okay, up above fern now with a rope connected to Neil, so she's listening to criticisms. Is now coaching him through climbing.
Speaker 2: Is not just like come on.
Speaker 1: Neil loo, she's actually being like, Okay, one step at a time and let's go and I grab here. Meanwhile, the crabs take women KB to like this rocky outcrop where there's like a giant crab Kaiju waiting who just wants to eat them. And it's very clear that what happened is the trash crabs just brought them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like lunch to this.
Speaker 3: They surely like Wim just saved kb's life.
Speaker 4: But then he's like, let's get eaten by like the giants, you know, Mohanatu tamatoa, Like let's sing shiny, where's Jermaine? Like yeah that was I thought that was so funny because I was like, this is classic Wim, Like he'll come through in a moment when you need him, but he'll also be.
Speaker 3: Like, let's just follow some trash crabs.
Speaker 4: This seems like a good, magical fairytale plan that couldn't possibly end badly.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Fern and Neil are like have climbed level with their ship that is being like uh towed by these like little tugboat ships. They very dangerously jump on top of their ship and manage to like guide the tugboats down to the crab kaiju and they save KB and WIM and it's very a very close thing, and then.
Speaker 2: The ship crashes.
Speaker 1: The kids for all off, but everybody's saved.
Speaker 2: They're okay.
Speaker 1: The kids, uh you know, are so happy to see each other. KB apologizes to Fern.
Speaker 3: Didn't need to.
Speaker 2: KB didn't need to.
Speaker 1: Fern first apologize to K for and I'm sorry too for not saying anything. And that's fine, but I just want to say, KB, you don't have nothing to apoligh you actually think don't apologize. Don't apologize when you're the person that doesn't need to. But I appreciate it. I appreciate the thought, but you you didn't need to. And anyway, the kids are like our ship, what the fuck? They look over and it's about to be like chewed up by this huge scrapper. So they get in the ship. Neil gets in the pilot seat, KB goes running off to the engine room to.
Speaker 2: Like do repairs.
Speaker 1: Whim of course gets behind the big cannon.
Speaker 3: And this guy.
Speaker 4: Can we just say, like, this guy needs to stay away from a like why is he god?
Speaker 2: Actually that's very childlike. Actually he loves a gun.
Speaker 3: He's a gun, loves the light.
Speaker 1: And then but it doesn't seem like anything's gonna work. You know, they've got full power going, they're they're they've got the thrusters engaged. Neil is pulling up on the yoke, and then finally they're like, well, I guess we got to push this button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were told never to push never Ever, Fern pushes the.
Speaker 1: Button and what it does is like Jettison's the outer skin of the ship, the junkie really shitty outer skin of the ship to reveal a sleek, very old school old Republic looking like Noboo looking ship and then they fly off off to ad Adam. Wonderful episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very fun episode. I you know what, sometimes when Disney is like uses Star Wars to like advertise stuff I can be annoyed, but I'm not gonna lie. I have played the Scavengers run ride at Disneyland, and it is very fun to see.
Speaker 3: The kids essentially doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also as well, like it's nice to see them kind of become a crew.
Speaker 4: I thought this was a great episode. I think Kab deserved an episode like this. I love that everyone's getting their episodes. I think it was super producer Aaron who before was talking about, like, next episode feels like it has to be a whim episode. What do you think or do you think the wim episode for the finale.
Speaker 1: Feels like it has to be a whim episode, and then the parents get an episode we figure out what's going on. That's where I feel like we're going. Or maybe we get a job episode in the finale. Oh, that could be adults episode.
Speaker 2: In the adults episode.
Speaker 3: Also, I do feel like I feel like Jod.
Speaker 4: Is trying to get back to and for a reason other than the treasure, like maybe he had.
Speaker 3: Been there before or something.
Speaker 4: So I feel like there's gonna be some kind of connection, some kind of new fake name or maybe his real name when he meets the parents. I also think I feel like we're gonna get more of Whim's dad. Maybe that will be in the next episode, if it is a Whim episode. Yeah, I'm very interested. I feel like there is a lot to tie up into episodes, but so far this show has been no filler, only bangers.
Speaker 1: I do agree that there feels like there is something else behind Jod's mission.
Speaker 2: That's said.
Speaker 1: The light in his eyes when he climbed out of tech Renod's treasure room laden jewels. Oh, he looks jewel treasures. Was impot he was beaming. He looked so happy to be covered in lout. So I agree with you, But I do think he is heavily loot motivating.
Speaker 2: You know, he loves treasure absolutely.
Speaker 4: I just think that might be like a little bit, a little bit more. Maybe he feels like maybe he used to walk at the minute.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously he does love treasure.
Speaker 1: Let's just I also feel like good shows, and this is a good show always figure out a way to make you forget about the cold open and then it matters. Yeah, that cold open is gonna matter somehow. Yeah, And I don't know how yet, But there's something in the storytelling of that that's gonna matter. I feel like I also feel like, just to return to the disability plot line again, I thought they I thought it was I thought they did an amazing job too, with how hard it can be to feel different and to not want to bring it up, but also to have to just coming having to come to terms with it on your own. Kabe is really having to do. She's having to come to terms with herself and her comfort level with herself and her confidence in advocating for herself, which is, again, you didn't need to apologize, you were advocated. You need to You've got to advocate for yourself. N't apologetically, but I get it. It's it's hardly at that age, which again I think they they tackled that with immense sensitivity, even like the climb where Fern is like driving, like come on deal and dude, my fucking legs are literally like.
Speaker 4: It's like I'm a cute, chubby elephant like climbing, Yeah, I have three fat fingers, Like I can't.
Speaker 2: It's not easy.
Speaker 1: And I think they did a great job and just bring highlighting differences and how other characters kind of like need to appreciate them and acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: I think it was. I was.
Speaker 1: I am always surprised by this show, just like how good and thoughtful it really is.
Speaker 4: And it's yeah, and the layers to it as well, because like you said, it's hot. It really is just like a treasure hunt and there's a lot of Yeah, you know, we get a lot of pirate lingo in this episode. There's lots of like sme and he's getting captured again, Like, there's all these kind of references and throwbacks to pirate law. Jod obviously loves treasure. We get some funny treasure moments. But within all of that, they've found a space to like tell these stories and I think that is really great. And I really really want to know more about Wim and Whim's dad and where the Whim's mum is the secret supervisor slash pirate at the Tack Reynold, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, but I'm I'm interested to see what happens now.
Speaker 4: And I'm very excited that we're only two episodes away.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I will miss this show.
Speaker 2: I will miss it too. It's been fun. Well.
Speaker 1: Coming up tomorrow, we're doing our twenty twenty five look ahead at movies and TV shows and all the stuff we're looking forward to in this year of twenty twenty five. And of course we're going to continue to cover Skeleton Crew Episode seven of Skeleton Crew next week. That's it for this episode.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Lawn and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi On Discored a Racer
Speaker 5: MHM