Speaker 1: We got it. We got the message from h Q that Citadel actually brought a lot of Microsoft stock. And that brings us to this story of Leo. I want you to tell his story and then I'm an I'm gonna add the animation to it.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, okay, so let's talk about Leo bo Uh. I'll put it like this. This is somebody who is super intelligent, obviously worked for open Ai, left the company, decided to create a hedge fund about a year, maybe eighteen months ago. But the hedge fund was based on investing in AI infrastructure. The AI story a lot of energy, a lot of semis inside that, and the portfolio was like again, started about eighteen Let me tell, Let me tell the story, which one, which part all the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Let me let me just tell the animated part of it, and then you add the technical part of So Leo.
Speaker 2: So, once upon a time was a guy named Leo Leopold, which I don't even like the name, but that's another story.
Speaker 1: Leo super smart dude, but not really a background in finance, working in open AI and starts at hedge fund and really studies the stock markets. He sees where this thing is going as far as chips are concerned, and becomes an overnight sensation as far as investment is concerned, giving you the abbreviated version, starts a hedge fund and within like eighteen months grows the hedge fund. Grows the hedge fund to forty five billion dollars.
Speaker 2: From two twenty five two hundred and twenty five million to forty five billion, and about little over eighteen months. There's the company's He invested in, cor Weave, Nibius, Slarris, applied with Digital Court, Scientific, Bloom Energy, Iron, Micron, sand Disk, just to name a few.
Speaker 1: So his hedge fund was crazy. It was up like four hundred and fifty percent over the year. It was just he was the everybody wanted to invest with him. He figured it out the code for Wall Street, and he's invested in all those companies, all of those companies, all the companies that had crazy run ups. And he was doing so good in life that he actually decided to get married.
Speaker 2: He didn't get married, he did. He got married this weekend.
Speaker 1: I understand that. So that's what I'm saying. So he was on a run. He's on a hell of a run. He's a billionaire overnight. His portfolio that he's managing, his worth almost fifty billion dollars. He's got his investors four hundred and fifty percent over the year. Yeah, gets married, sets his wedding to get married fair. It's a whole it's a whole situation. And he even put a thesis out last month saying like, this is a generational by opportunity for all of these companies that Da Da Da, And it's like, man, the biggest gangsters, they all live. It's on Wall Street. That's why I was so fascinated with Wall Street when I was a kid, because I would watch these movies and the way that they would just move like vultures and sharks and piranhas, and it's just so it's just so ruthless. So one fatal mistake that he made is that he over leveraged himself. You tell you guys that all the time he was doing so well, that he started he started playing a leverage game.
Speaker 2: He made a few mistakes. He made a few mistakes. The leverage game was number one. I think investing in those companies early was the smartest thing he did. He's very intelligent. As he's making the money he decides to start shorting other positions. Right, so when you're short, you're making puts in that these things are going to depreciate. But you got to realize when you're in this space, especially at that billionaire club, like you're managing that money, type of money. Your supporters are watching, but the people who you're taking money from and taking customers from, they're also watching. I think he might have underestimated that. In fact, I definitely know he underestimated that. Because this is great when you're the golden child and hey, this is a new hatch fun. This kid is twenty five years old. He's, you know, the wolf, the real Wolf of Wall Street. At this point, the old guard is looking at it like, wait, how's he getting these returns? Number one? Is he taking our clients? Number two? And how can we stop him? Number three?
Speaker 1: It's like it's like the as No so on back in the days. It's like when we first started, nobody noticed us, nobody gave a shit. But the bigger we get, the more we're taking from other people. So he starts, he starts to take market share, he starts to leverage, he starts to be very vocal. He has to be taught a lesson. So all of these stocks that he invests in all of a sudden have historically bad month. Yeah, down thirty five percent, down, forty down, fifty percent, historic drop in the portfolio, which forced simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Simultaneously, as the stocks are dropping, the ones that he puts shorts on are appreciating, right, So those companies are actually going up in price. So like if you look at a Service now which is shorted, it's going up in price. You look at a Microsoft going up in price again, that software basket, he will shorten it. And so they looked at it and sall right, well he's shortened that, and he publicly made that public. Okay, let's go put some capital in there to have those companies rise. So as he's saying like that's gonna go down, those companies are going up, and he's putting big bets on this to appreciate those are coming down drastically.
Speaker 1: So as so he's losing money left and right. He's losing money. He's losing money because the stocks just keep going down. MU going down crazy, saying this is going down crazy. So these is billions of dollars this portfolio is now in the red. And what happens when you can't lose any more money. The bank wants their money back, so they start calling his margin costs, which forces him to liquidate stocks in mass and it gets so bad. It gets so bad for him within a couple of weeks. Last week he was faced with the predicament that he had to liquidate his whole entire portfolio. And who called him the godfather Ken Ken Griffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not that kN Griffin, the real Kan Griffin, Griffin, Citadel Citadel's Kan Griffin, Citadel's King Griffin.
Speaker 1: If you don't know who he is, google.
Speaker 2: The one of the wealthiest people on the planet, their godfather. Last year he brought in thirty three billion dollars thirty three billion.
Speaker 1: The boss of all bosses gave him a call, I believe it was Wednesday, this happened, yep, and said, look, I know that you you know you're in a bad spot right now. I'll buy your entire portfolio, probably thirty percent on a dollar, got a deep discount, brought his entire portfolio.
Speaker 2: But he was allowed to keep some of his portfolio. We gotta give him on all FI ten he had, so he has private investments. He was invested in and anthropic. They allowed him to keep that. But the margin call. And this is why we tell people like yo, be careful, don't don't play with margins, because when it margin call happens, you don't have that capital. They're gonna call you once and they're not gonna call you again. They're just gonna start liquidating the portfolio in general. So if you had ten thousand shits or something, you're like, oh no, I don't want to sell that because I'm trying to hold onto that I can get the money. Say what, They're gonna call you once. They not calling you again. They're liquidating everything they can to get their money back.
Speaker 1: And what so what happens? Okay, so he's had a terrible moth. His portfolio goes down forty percent, the margin calls get called. Ken hits him in the middle of the night like, look, I'll take this off your hands because you have to get rid of it. He really has no option at this point in time. They squeezed him out. He had to sell. He sold his He sold the majority of his whole portfolio to King Griffin and the next day are his historic rally, A historic rally happened the next day.
Speaker 2: I think as the news broke, the rally was happening. That broke like Wednesday morning, and by nine thirty you just saw a reversal on all these these companies. Mike Crown was up twenty percent, saying this up twenty seven percent, Western Digital up twenty percent, Coral were up fourteen percent, Idyots up fifteen percent. Then, I mean, the timing of it speaks valumes.
Speaker 1: And you know what the craziest part is, it was a week before his wedding.
Speaker 2: A day two days. He got married this week and he was supposed to get I don't know if he got married this weekend, but the wedding was supposed.
Speaker 1: To be the week So allegedly Wall Street plotted against him, tanked stocks on purpose, squeezed him out of his position, brought his portfolio for pennies on the dollar, then skyrocketed the stocks back up the very next day, and that he lost his portfolio. He got squeezed out of thirty five billion dollars and they And the cold part about it was it was two days before the wedding.
Speaker 2: Filthy. Now it's filthy for so many reasons. Obviously, the money being an intelligent investor here would have helped them out tremendously. But the idea that you want to get into positions, especially from retail investors, we always talk about getting in these investments and a good time watching the moving averages, checking volume. Imagine at the institutional level, as they're watching a SanDisk get up to twenty two hundred, or they're watching a Micron get up to thirteen hundred, and they weren't big on those stories early on, they're sitting asking themselves the same thing. We're going to get a better price for that. We're going to get a better price for that. In fact, allegedly we're going to make sure we get a better price for that. This guy is becoming a golden child. He was big on these stocks. He's run up to forty five billion. We're going to make sure we get better prices. And better prices came in July. Now we could say it came at his cost, but it came at a lot of our costs. A lot of us are in those Micron calls and have shares. A lot of us are in Sandus and have those shares. A lot of us, you know, and blew them and we were in these courts core we and so as a retail we just take the brunt of that. Now on the flip side, was he wrong in his investment strategy? Partially the companies were right, they're spot on right. If they weren't, Citadel went and came and said, hey, let me get that portfolio. So they got the portfolio with all those companies at a really good price, and now they have that into the future. He didn't have time because number one, he had margin. He was way over leverage, right, and he used margin to get a scaled approach to his investments. But this is this is the crazy part. As he's selling it. You know what he's doing the same day putting out a letter to say, you know what, I'm gonna start a new fund and we're raising capital. I'm like, this is like how the world work.
Speaker 1: Its orange story of killing. You fucked me out of thirty five billion. I'm gonna need my payback. I'm gonna need mons the day before my wedding. Now it's all for life. It's smoke for life. Now now I'm on a whole different look. The dude he gonna be back, learned his lesson. He learned not to overleverage himself. He learned to probably be a little bit more quiet about his moves. Look, he took it. It's a major it's a major loss. But he's gonna have a comeback because man, that's the origin, that's the make up origin story right there. Man, he got he got done dirty. He got done really really really dirty.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a dirty game. But just no, man, there's always somebody watching your movements. And Citadel, I mean it's only a few companies funds that would be able to even take on that level of acquisition. They were one of them, and they struck right when the iron was hot.
Speaker 1: Now it's the diaper dot com story in many ways. Yes,