Speaker 1: Lookout. It's only films to be buried with, Hello, films to be buried with Crewe. This is your producer, Buddy Peace. I am checking in on behalf of Brett, your usual voice you'll hear at the start of every episode, just to let you know what's going on with this episode and perhaps a few going into the future. Basically, due to the ongoing SAG after a strike, we will be temporarily on pause and there will be a few rewind episodes basically episodes where we look back into the voluminous archives or films to be buried with and present you with a few sort of repackaged and re polished episodes from our history. And in this case, we have a fabulous episode with Sarah Snook, who you might be familiar with from her character Shiv and Succession, which at that point in time was I think it had just finished its second season, so we had a further two more seasons to come. And also so this episode was recorded in person with Brett and they were working on at that point an untitled project which would go on to be known as Soulmates. This episode was aired originally on January the sixteenth, twenty twenty so that marks it a well, you could call it a pre pandemic podcast episode. So it's pretty interesting going back to hear this one, in particular because obviously so much just happened since in terms of what Sarah has been working on and in the world, so it's an interesting one to hear in a different context. Yeah, we really think you're like this one. It's lovely to hear Sarah because I don't think she does a whole ton of these kind of things. So yeah, please enjoy, and we will check in again with a few more rewinded episodes going back into the Films to be Buried with archives, But for now, please enjoy the wonderful Sarah Snooke.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried with. It is me Brett Goldstein, and I'm joined today by a writer, a director, a award nominated and when this comes out, possibly award winning. Although she's won awards before. Let's face it, she's absolutely decorated. She's caked in awards. She is an actor and a hero and succession. Little Please welcome to the show, the brilliant Sarah Snake. Hi, Hi, Sarah, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good? Did you call me a succession.
Speaker 2: Lord, I said you were successional.
Speaker 3: Oh successional?
Speaker 2: We are in Madrid, Yeah, the show that Will Bridges and I co created.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You play the lead, indn't he in the opening episode?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you were so phenomenal that we decided to say that you had to come back to Madrid to film an extacy. But in fact it was a trap to make you do the podcast.
Speaker 3: Got it, I knew it.
Speaker 2: So thank you for coming back here.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Oh, where do I start? You don't do a lot of podcasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I have done one and only one, and I don't think I've done more. But I listened to a lot of podcasts, Yeah, a lot of podcasts.
Speaker 2: Do you listen to the serious depressing ones?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's like a constant guilt over my head that I'm not learning enough or not engaging my brain enough, and so I'm constantly listening to the stuff that sometimes I'm boring myself with that I'm like must cram information in now that I don't you know that I'm not at university or at school or anything.
Speaker 2: You live in New York, Yeah, you're from Australia. Yeah, you're in the show that people fucking love and sort of everyone I know, it's all they talk about.
Speaker 3: So what is that like for you? It's weird, it's odd being on the inside of it, and I at the same time, I was also like, I love the show myself, so it's kind of it's great because like, what a kick to to be with people who are like, I love your show. It was like me too, I love you know, everyone on the show, and there are all such talented people and creatives who make it, and the technical sort of the crew who make it as well are also so great, and like it's a very good experience to create the show. So to have people like it is icing on the cake, really because I keep making it. If people didn't like it because it's.
Speaker 2: So much fun, then you're sort of actually as well.
Speaker 3: If yeah, it's lucky that it's a nice prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very good. You like films, I do.
Speaker 3: I do like films, but I feel like I'm constantly maybe this is this is a theme, like i feel like I've not seen enough films, and I'm like, I must I've not seen that film, And i feel like I'm always like behind on information and I'll find on films and behind on DV and.
Speaker 2: Pressure on yourself. You're crabbing a lot of news in your head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got time to stop watching listen to podcasts, and start watching more films.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's get into this. I've forgotten to tell you something. You've come this way, you come all the way to Madrid to come back to Madrid from York, and I've forgotten to tell you. And I feel like a dickhead because I probably should have.
Speaker 3: Told you before I got on the plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a way, because at least you could have been a bit more prepared. But ah, okay, I'll just tell you you died.
Speaker 3: You've died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, really yeah, really damn it. How do you feel? How did you die?
Speaker 3: I feel a lot freer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, you don't have to keep craving all them depressing podcasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching many movies, although in heaven I get to watch as many I provided. I'm going to heaven, I get to watch as many movies as I want. I died. I died in a great space accident.
Speaker 2: Nice what happened?
Speaker 3: Ah? Well, because it would be hard, I think for you to just suddenly die because you would have no impact and not feel the pain, and like you have the impact and not feel the pain and all that stuff. That's that's great for you, but not nice for your family. But I thought that if I went into space, that everyone's sort of on board with the possible dangers of me going into space for this sort of I don't know what it is, but it's like some sort of gala thing of like just some some heroic thing in space. I'm doing something good in space, and it's likely that I could perish and.
Speaker 2: If I climate change, plug in the if.
Speaker 3: I managed not like I managed to succeed, then I'm a hero, but I could actually also die doing it. I trying, and so then it's painless for me because I just run out of oxygen and go into delirium and then I die. That's nice because like you would have you drowning, it's a drowning in space. I don't wouldn't like to drown because the panic of drowning. But in space there's no gravity and so there's no there's like less potential for panic.
Speaker 2: Right in your death, have you like popped out of the spaceship, But you're just free floating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to do something on the spacecraft.
Speaker 2: And if you were on this side of it with all the gear on.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, it's a bit like gravity, I guess now that I think about it, which terrified me as a film and also what a view like you see lovely argue with that and then you come You know, if you re entered the atmosphere, you'd burn up.
Speaker 2: Which way you're going, but you're burning up as you.
Speaker 3: Re entered the No, I'm going. I'm already dead. I'm getting space.
Speaker 2: You fell off the edge of the space ship. Yeah, trying to fix something. Yeah, and you slowly run out of oxygen, and that is a nicer death than drove.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe I wouldn't slowly run out of oxygen. I would just open my mask.
Speaker 2: But then your head would explained, would yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll slowly run out of oxygen. Your head actually.
Speaker 2: Explode, Yeah, I've seen totally cool. I think it does because the pressure is too much.
Speaker 3: Selling maybe i'd pump all the oxygen in at once so that I overinflate my I'm like, because isn't there like an oxygen saturation? Isn't there like a weird high or delirium thing that you would go into. Basically, I would need to pass out and then obviously die because.
Speaker 2: You really have to buzz at this moment. I get that I'm slightly worried about the build up to the delirium.
Speaker 3: Because I have to be in space because I feel like family and friends. It's not nice to just suddenly die. So then if they are prepared for my death somehow.
Speaker 2: You've treated it like a goalkeeper soccer during a penalty shootout, in that you're a hero because no one's expecting you to save any If you save work, yeah, you're amazing. Yeah, you're going on a space mission that no one's expected you to come back. But if you did amazing. Yeah, but instead you fell off the edge, you would you just fell off the spaceship.
Speaker 3: But I also we still think you're a hero. Fell before I fell off. I gave it's a really important data, right, data collection that was really important, that intrinsic to saving the world in the future.
Speaker 2: Right, And it did help this account, the accounts that you downloaded from space, it really helped. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I sent them straight to Grenna Dunberg and she, you know, she's the queen of the world at that time. This isn't it. This isn't like sixty years time.
Speaker 2: You know, Okay, I'm nine year old to do some do some invoicing in space. You stepped off the side of the rocket. You're like, oh, just input the data. Oops, falling off. I'll tell you what will give me a nice high, nice breath of air opened the viy. Their head exploits, No.
Speaker 3: This is you're making it mockery.
Speaker 2: No, it's very it's good. It's very back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you didn't watch many movies.
Speaker 2: And people they're sad, but they were prepared as you went up as a ninety two year old.
Speaker 3: Probably none of them left anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said, well she's the light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a good innings, Yeah, ninety two year old astronaut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good idea. Actually, send ninety two year olds on missions, on suicide mission. It's a very good idea. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was what I was paying the way for. That's was the first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of people going, what the fuck Now I've got to go save the world again. Yes, grandma, and we're going to say goodbye now just in case.
Speaker 3: I love that? All right, are you do? You worry about death. No. I don't know whether it's because I haven't had a close family member pass away sort of like immediate family. But I haven't had a lot of experience with death, and blithely I think that I'm fine with it, but I'm sure that wants it sort.
Speaker 2: Of you don't worry about your own death like life you have.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty happy. I often think that it's like, well, this is enough. It's great, so far, so good.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Yeah, that's very healthy. Do you think there's enough to life?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't rule it out. I think it would be presumptuous of us to completely rule that out, because who's to say, in which case I would say, yes, there's some sort of energetic, spiritual I don't know. There's something, surely, something arrogant to us to presume absolutely not when there are so many other wonders in the universe.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: What is the answer?
Speaker 2: Life?
Speaker 3: Energy echoes? That painting looks like.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I mean in an apartment in where there are two paintings on the wall that look like they're in twin peaks firework with me and they scare me every night. And sometimes I think if you look at them long enough, you will appear in them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the afterlife.
Speaker 2: That's painting.
Speaker 3: Boy, I don't know something, there's something there. Yeah, we can't be the only miracle of the universe, you know, Like, yeah's kind of yeah. I'm sure that somehow we'll find life somewhere, even if it's in sort of another dimension. I have no idea, but I'm just I'm not like that going to rule it out like that.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's multiple realities happening at.
Speaker 3: Works, possibly like a sliding doors kind of thing. Yeah, I mean not really, I but no, no, I mean I like the idea of it. Well, isn't that what I mean? Einstein said that time is like a loaf of bread, and if you sliced it into slices and put a point of.
Speaker 2: Bread, great.
Speaker 3: Einstein, Gump, it's no one of the scientists. Oh god, I've described it. No, I'm sound really dumb, but there's like it's like time can be described like a loaf of bread, and if you drew a point from one side of a loaf to the other, even if you sliced it and then reorganized it, those points would be in different places. But still it's like a relativity thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're fixed. You can you can shuffle the bread.
Speaker 3: You can shuffle the bread, and they're fixed only But I don't. I can see the diagram and I can't explain it. But I know that is like a loaf of bread. Yes, yes, multiple dimensions and realities can be happening at once because time is a construct in our own minds, because we have to organize the passage of deterioration, I guess, and the passage of time and things. But that it's our own experience of it, and that there is apparently argument that all things are all happening all at once. So the ancient Egypt and Einstein and all these things are all happening all at once. It's just our perception of how we experience it. Personally. We're always in the center of it, so we can discern that there is a future, and discern that there is a past. It's only relative to us because we're in the center of that moment. I'm sure I'm getting this science wrong.
Speaker 2: And that is exactly like a life of bread.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's like a loaf of bread. I'm going to find that us find the scientists and tell you it's like I don't know, not Brian Cox, but one of.
Speaker 2: Those Well you were right, after all, there is a heaven and it's filled with cinemas. Your favorite kind of cinema, which is.
Speaker 3: I really like a cinema that serves you food?
Speaker 2: Do you I can dig that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Not into do.
Speaker 2: You know what? I was even looking today to go to the cinema and the nearest one is one the one's we like luxury reclaiming. I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not going for nap, not into the luxury. No, no, no, not that I want to say. There's one in in in Williamsburg called Nighthawk. It's in Prospect Park as well, and it's like upright chairs but there's like a little table between the two of you and you can just like order a cocktail or order nachos, and like, I kind of dig that's something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I treat the cinema like some sort of punishment that I think the church. But you yeah, she sit up on an uncomfortable chair straight wow, no one bringing you ship. That's what's the fucking thing. Not trying to lie down and a meal? Pathetic? Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I actually, yeah, my favorite cinema is a full one, because my favorite cinema going experiences have been when when it's been full, when it's a theater full of people. I always prefer films. I always like, you know, I love the films they see at film festivals because they are often full cinemas, and because people are reacting audibly to what they're watching. And they're also often at film festivals, you know, film nerds and buffs and fanatics, so they're more willing to react. Yeah, my favorite experiences of film watching I've been in full cinemas.
Speaker 2: We like community. Yeah, that's nice. In this heaven, everyone's obsessed with films. Is like an old film festival crowd, but like not in a bad way. And when they ask questions, and they actually ask questions, they don't just tell.
Speaker 3: You that they're right.
Speaker 2: They're making their own thing. And yeah, and anyway, that was it's more of a comment than the question. Yeah, anyway, they want to know about your life through films. The first thing they ask is what is the first film you remember seeing?
Speaker 3: Okay, the first film I remember seeing at the cinema was Aladdin, and I went with was Matthew Nobles's birthday and I was the only girl invited. I don't know if I've seen him since. I think I was about five or so when I came out and I was the only girl invited, and I loved it. We were I remember sitting or all sitting in a row in the cinema and I was just in rapture watching this and to the point where at the end, my favorite point, like the genie doing all this stuff, obsessed and when the Genie pool, like, they kiss, so I'm really into the story, they kiss and all the boys next to me went and I had been like, you know, leaning forward in my seat, going and then they kissed, like oh my goodness, and hear this, I go, oh no, oh immediate judgment or shame of going yay romance and then oh no, boys don't like romance. Oh hang on, what's going on here? And then having this like rollercoaster of emotion where suddenly the Genie pulls up the screen and goes made you look and I was like, he's in.
Speaker 4: The cell, like it's so matter, not even really knowing what that meant, but I just thought that was the cleverest.
Speaker 2: How many pieces were you at with?
Speaker 3: Makes it like a really weird five road day. Yeah, the monment about thirteen of us or like ten of us at least. Oh no, maybe not, but I remember catching the tram back later we were saying on the platform and everyone was like talking about the film and I was like, yeah, when they when they rode to the carpet was and the genie. They're like, yeah, but how gross is it when they kissed?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I hope I never kiss What did you do that? Matthew Noble, who was the year above no Less, he was like, I don't like girls, but she's cool.
Speaker 3: So our sisters used to go to well, we went to the same must. Yeah, we did go to the same school. Our sisters were in the same year, so they were friends. And I would around and play with Matthew, I think as well, and you know, we would play cars and trucks and like I you know, it was a bit of a tom Boy. And my sisters would dress me up for photo shoots at their house in like little bo Peep outfits or with their dog, Minus, who terrified me completely vas Yeah there, tiny little Jack Roswell called Minus fucking terror of a dog. Yeah, really sharp claws. He didn't like me and I didn't like him, and yet we had to pose pose together.
Speaker 2: So the route, Yeah, was it with Matthew Nobles mom and dad Lynn Noble took Yeah. Shout out to Lynn, amazing big.
Speaker 3: Matthew Noble's dad was my dentist for years, like eighteen years straight. Would have been until I moved out of Adelaide to Sydney. Yeah, wow, I forgot about that. No even longer, Yeah, mister Noble, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You love the cinema, big old cinema.
Speaker 3: It's the one where sort of that Yeah, yea, it would have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have been like, did you think I want to do this?
Speaker 3: Not then I didn't know that that was a job.
Speaker 2: You could be an animated case.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I just wanted them to be.
Speaker 2: No, how many siblings?
Speaker 3: You've got two older sisters nine age ten and six years older.
Speaker 2: But yeah close, Yeah, what is the film that made you cry the most?
Speaker 3: I remember? Okay, So I have a specific memory of crying because I cry a lot in films, and I cry on planes a lot, and sometimes I will choose the film in order to cry on planes, Like I'll be like, this looks like a sad film. I'm want to play it. I'm gonna watch it because it's just so good. I don't know what it is. I don't know there's something in but it's anecdotal. I don't know what the science says, but there's anecdotal evidence of crying. Crying on planes happened. So I'll set it up so that I do And I didn't do this in this case, but I remember watching Warrior Joel legitim yeah, yeah, and ball Balling. I don't even I can't really remember what the film's about, but.
Speaker 2: Balling episode six of this show that you're in. One of the big visual references is Warrior.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go. I found it really upsetting.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a really good film with a really ridiculous pitch. I could just hear the picture go this is god ship. Two brothers was forced to UFC each other.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right, that's the yeah pitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they'll finally work out who's the two strange right, Yeah, got a UFC. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I found it desperately sad. And then like as a kid, my girl obviously killed me like death. That was like, yeah, that's a real first experience of death.
Speaker 2: When you say you have an experienced less you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like such a heroic act. Didn't doesn't he run in there to get her ring? And then he loses his glasses and that's how he dies. But he but there's something that he didn't need to go in there, and he did for something for her.
Speaker 2: So worried You're on a plane? Is your film amazing? I think so embarrassingly people clan to keep your space.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what does the state of humanity if two brothers have to fight each other?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What is the film that scared you the most?
Speaker 3: I did do a horror film a couple of years ago, and I had never watched It's called Jessobel. Yeah, Puzzled look, Yeah, And I'd never seen any horror because I've been too scared to watch films. It's scare me. And also I think I've been told by mum not to watch them or I wasn't allowed to watch them. But I never had an interest in seeking out scaring myself. So I went on a whole binge of watching horror films. Was like, this is my research, or watch a horror films, and I found that I was like Oh, I quite like horror films that scare you because I know that it's not real. But the one that scared me the most, that actually gen only scared me is American Psycho. Interesting because that's possibly real and I just want people to real nice and whatnot, all to get along and to have someone be so cruel and malicious in for intent and personal gain and narcissism and all of that just just make it. Yeah, I found that really deeply unsettling and scary.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting. Yeah, it's also a comedy, that film. Yeah it's made as a comedy, but I didn't really know that's totally fair.
Speaker 3: But maybe I'll watch it again. But I kind of came away from that guy.
Speaker 2: Humans is terrifying, but that's also the world of success in Yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 3: But when I was a kid, the one that scared me the most was I don't even really remember the rest of the film because I was probably in the corner in terror. Went on to a sleepover for a friend's fifteenth fourteenth birthday, A bunch of girls, maybe one of us in a living room and we watched a jawbreaker, a film jaw Breaker. I don't really remember it much, but it's like three girls who kidnapped a friend of theirs as a joke, and they tie her up. They like, you know, dress up and they as like people who are gonna mug her, and they tie her up and they put a gumball, a jawbreaker gumball in her mouth, and then they throw her in the boot of the car and they've put like duct tape over the top, and then they get to where they're going and it's all meant to be a big old joke, and then they through to the car and she swallowed the gum ball and it's in the middle of her throat and she's dead that and I'm like a of eleven girls and going, what's.
Speaker 2: Going to kill me?
Speaker 3: I put a jawbreaker in my mouth. I don't remember the rest of the film. I was terrified, and I also was the only one who didn't sleep that night, so I remember people would watching the film going this is stupid and dropping off and I was just sitting there in terror. I can't remember the rest of the film, and it's just vigilant that.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, like I need to get over to Matthew Nables. It's gonna be back to Aladdin, but that's horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably a comedy as well. It's probably a comedy, and I missed the point and I just took it too literally. It's like, you don't be scared. I don't mind it. I quite like, you know, like I love going to you know, the Hollywood Horronites and all those sort of like silly quote unquote silly sort of horror stuff because you know, like being chased by a chainsaw in a theme, but it's a lot of fun because I know that there's no there's no teeth in that chain so it's just like the sound like I remember we went to the Hollywood Horrorites. Is it the Universal Studios? I think? And I was genuinely running in a circle. The guy was chasing me in a circle around myself. If I wanted to get away, I could have, but I was in tears, laughing so hard and so scared, but in this kind of like hysteria.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My boyfriend at the time was just like standing back watching me, going, you're only in a circle, like you actually that scared. I'm like, I'm terrified, and I love that feeling. But I when it's and when it's darkness with like the human soul and our capacity to hurt each other. That's yeah, abide that.
Speaker 2: I love her, but I don't like I hate torture ones ahead where it's just people being I like ghostly ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are fun. I remember at the Conjury.
Speaker 2: Love the Country, Love the Conjuring. It's fucking brilliant. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went and saw that at the cinema and that was the best because like, you're scared at the same time and then everyone and then someone at the back goes and everyone laughs at them, but they're also like, oh, I'm so glad someone else made the sound that I wanted to. And there's that sort of tension release thing, like watching a quiet place at the cinema. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah an experience. Everyone's so quiet, untouched my popcorn and that's furious.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm glad you didn't need it.
Speaker 2: Crying and ship you don't mind crack in front of people.
Speaker 3: Don't mind crying in front of people, No, I mean I do it from my job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can ask you about that. You genuinely I say this, have said this to you of Mike, I say it one. You're a fucking amazing actor. And in a show you were extraordinary and there's a bit no spoilers, but at some point you have to do a bit of crying. It was so good. But I'm genuinely I don't know how you do it, No wonder if you could tell me. Is it just you're imagining exactly? Is the character? Is there a trick in your head? Is there a physical thing you can make yourself do that makes you cry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like you know, you keep your eyes open as long as you can. That helps having empathy for the character. Maybe that's why I cry more now in films than I used to. I remember being a teenager and seeing like my mom cry on the film or something like that, and being like, why you crying? This isn't sad. But teenagers genuinely, like scientific like neurologically have less empathy really, which is really in a child less than a child. They go through a stage developmentally where they have less empathy, and part of that is I'm not sure why, but there's probably a reason for evolutionary wise, but that's part of why people like Hitler and who was the one Paul Pott like these like youths, teenage rebel youths are so easily sort of converted and able to commit such atrocities that you're like, how could you bear to do that? Because they genuinely have less empathy. It's not that they're not going to grow into empathy. It's just it's a neurological thing where I have to learn it again. And I feel like that I've had that experience where I've seen, you know, a film that I didn't really understand, or I watched and yeah, that's a good film and then watched it again and bowled my eyes out, or even a film like watching I started watching Molana on the plane because I wanted to cry, and I can't remember what part. I ended up not finishing it because I could know because something else was happening. But I remember just like just the barest thing made me start crying. I was like, I don't think I'm ready ready for this right now. I just I can't. I'm gonna bowl completely, So I'm going to stop this now, because like it was like a really small thing. I was like, I don't know, someone getting a scratch and crying, or usually the thing that makes me cry is kindness to other people, like in toy story. What's the one three with the kids where it's like he's got to go to college? Is that the one three? The only part that maybe crying that, like I really expected to cry a lot more. The only part that maybe cry was when when she offers him the toys back when they're playing together. It's like, oh, that's really sad. Yeah. But anyway, I think as I've gotten older, it's easier to imagine just to cry, but to imagine what it's like to be another person because you have more sort of experience of that you've gone through yourself, and that you can imaginatively then put yourself in the position of that character. Also, just breathing, Yeah, it's a technical sort of thing, just like being in touch with your breath and allowing something to hit you or allowing yourself to really feel something on a deep level.
Speaker 2: I mean, we didn't make you do it a lot, but could you if we if we live for whatever reason, had to sort of shoot that all day because you have kept crying, or would it have been like I'm done there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends. I've learned that, like you get a muscle memory for it. And this sounds really weird. But also hydrating because like you're you're expelling liquid and so you need to hydrate and it Actually I have found when I've decided to like no, stay in it, stay in it. You've got to You've got to be in it and can't leave. Then you sort of deplete the cup, I guess, and you have to step away from it and think about other things. And I find it very difficult to stay in something without giving myself a break for it, from it so that when I come back to it it's fresh. So it's much easier if you sort of just break the spell for a second, if you're going to be going for you know, five six hours. Not that I've ever really had to do a crying something for six hours, in which case I would be like, you need to schedule better. And also like maybe I shouldn't be crying. Is that why we're going again? Like maybe I should be acting better? Like, yeah, just keep keep up with tears.
Speaker 2: What is the film that people don't like? Critically? Not a claimed Most people think it's ship, But you're like everyone, this film's brilliant.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of films like that where I love it and yeah, but I think I've had the experience where I remember liking a film a lot and I saw it was when I was a kid. I haven't seen it since. Maybe it doesn't hold up, but i've heard it since been disparaged and people are like, oh, that film, what is it exactly? And I'm like, oh, yeah, but I had such a great time when I watched it.
Speaker 2: I think that film is like totally lovely. Fine, Yeah, it's not a bad film in any way. I think it's just like yeah, some people like, yeah, yeah, it's definitely not a bad film.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool. I mean, I've never seen it again. I was sorry a couple of times when I was a kid. Obviously, yea lovely film is lovely, lovely, but a lot of people don't like it.
Speaker 2: So people don't like lovely, people don't like people.
Speaker 3: Didn't like Eat, Pray, Love as well, those kinds of films. But I sort of like I get the purpose of them, you know, like, and I make people happy, give people hope. Do you know what I did? I actually looked up the top on IMDb. I was like, I got to get my film knowledge up again, and I was like scrolling through, it's somewhat revealing about the state of humanity. I guess at the top two hundred films, a lot of them are about guns and violence and murder and war and and not many prey loves.
Speaker 2: Not enough women going on tours. Well women.
Speaker 3: Top ten films all male leads and male like male protagonists and male directors.
Speaker 2: And this is the top ten.
Speaker 3: No, it's like top IMDb rated.
Speaker 2: So you know that's like sure shag.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Annie was in the top two hundred, which is why I reminded me of and she was number two hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you used to like me, that's all right. What's the what's the film that you used to love? What the reason I don't like this anymore?
Speaker 3: I don't know why. But I used to be a really big Billy Crystal fan. Yeah, me too, Yeah, city slickers love that film does not hold on? Really terrible.
Speaker 2: Used to be one of my favorite fast same I.
Speaker 3: Was likes crazy. It's just like boring, saccharin and sentimental and here's me going like friends around. It's just like and you want to fucking you want a moscar for it as well? No, really, Billy Crystal, he was nominated for it, I think, or.
Speaker 2: When the best sport acts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but posthumously he had died between.
Speaker 2: No, because he did the shops at the Oscars when I got it.
Speaker 3: Wow, well maybe really Crystal got nominated for a Golden Globe. Then anyway, it's not good. It's not great.
Speaker 2: It doing a party arm pit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, watch it.
Speaker 2: I don't want it now.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe I was not in the right mood to watch it again, but I was pretty excited to watch it again and was like, this is just destroying my childhood because I was like, I watched it the slikers to watch analyze this.
Speaker 2: To be what it was sort of killed for me by City Sniggers too, Yeah, which is a dark I don't remember money just I think because the message of City Slingersen was so sort of joyful and seize the day and live your life and have adventures, and then they made City Stiggers too, it's like let's make money yeah instead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, that's maybe said. What is the film that means the nice to you?
Speaker 2: Not because the film itself is any good might be, but more because the experience you had watching it, the story you remember it from.
Speaker 3: Got two okay one watching and I know that I'm not mentioned Titanic, but K Titanic only because it was the first film that I saw in loved and I was like, this film is amazing, Like I saw it at the cinema and I felt some adult going and seeing that. And then I went and saw it with my sister at the cinema again, and I had forgotten. I guess what happens. It was fucking crushed. No, no, no earlier, this was like the joyful opening sequence of him getting on the boat. I was in tears, balling so uncontrollably that I had to leave. My sister thought that I'd gone food poisoning, and I was throwing up in the bathroom. I watched for the first third of the maybe even half of the film. I watched it in the entrance the vomb like I'd gone to the toilet because I couldn't bear the fact that they were getting on the boat that was doomed, that was going to snk, and I knew what was going to think, and I couldn't actually do anything about it. I couldn't. I wanted to yell at the screen, like don't get on the boat, just don't, just don't. It's fate, Like I can't stop it, and they can't. They won't, They're not They're gonna get on the boat. And I just they're going to have this whole thing, Yeah, the experience of knowing what was the future for these people and not being able to prevent their deaths or their experiencing. Yeah. And so then I round. I left the cinemaon and went.
Speaker 2: To the bathroom and for three hours.
Speaker 3: No, I you know, cried for longer. And then I got myself together and splashed my face with water, and I came back into the little you know, like is it the vomb the vomitorium, the entrance into I don't know what it's called, anyway, the entrance into the cinema where you can see the cinema and then you have to go around to get to the seats see the screen. And as soon as I entered again, I was like, oh, they're on the boat. They're on the boat, bawling again. But I'm warning I can't do anything about this crying. But then I saw I sat there for a long time. I must have looked like I'd snuck into the cinema and I had a ticket, and my sister was like, where it is Sarah sat by the entrance because I couldn't bear the pain of watching them suffer, and then went and sat by my sister. She's like Okay, I'm like, yeah, so I just got upset.
Speaker 2: That's really sad. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the other greats was The Artist. I was in New York for the first time and a friend and a friend. A friend got in touch with their friend and said, Ryan, can you take Sarah Out's only she's in New York. And we went out for coffee or something, and he said, I've got five dollar tickets. I'm a moment member five dollar tickets to this new film called The Artist. Do you want to come? It's a special screening. I think they're doing a Q and A afterwards. And I had never heard of the film, didn't know that it had just been to carn and done all the sort of the whole thing. The most extraordinary film I've ever seen in the cinema because the audience it's a silent film. The audience did the soundtrack because they're all going, oh oh, like all these laughs were in Unison and music for it. If you watch it with a cinema full of people, the music for it guides you. It's extraordinary. It was just an amazing cinema experience to have. And then you know, everyone immediately stood and clapped and yeah, so much so that I was desperate for my boyfriend at the time. I was like, we have to go see this film. You would have loved it. Blah blah blah. We went and saw it in Newtown and Sydney and there were six people in the audience and it was really slow. It was very boring. It was hard to watch. I had an exact opposite experience. I enjoyed it still, but I was so desperate for everybody to enjoy it as much as I did the first time that I was getting anxiet idea that no one that the people would think less of the film because they didn't have the experience the most watching it.
Speaker 2: I had the same experience with Bad Boys too. It's a Bad Boys in the packed cinema and over the day in Harlem. Yeah, and it was fucking amazing. People were showing at the screen. It was like, it was one of my favorites cinema experiences. And then six months later, I Won't Sit in Kent with my friend Paul was basically taking it to the best film ever made. About ten people there. No one laughed, and I was like, this is shit. I hate Ken oh Man, that's doesn't know how to watch bad Boys.
Speaker 3: It came backfire though, because I saw Moneyball at the cinema, in a full cinema, and I got really like, I don't like that film for some reason. I think I should watch it again because I've heard that it is good, and I know that it's probably good. But I got very Australian about the vocal American support for Bratton Pitt. In particular. They were like, yeah, you don't Brad like yelling at the screen, like what the fuck let him do? Like let's just settle down, all right. So I had the I had like a Reddit like, you know, it was turning me off the film rather than like encouraging me to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: So that's fairy. What is the What is the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: I think Romeo and Juliet nice. Yeah, well it's at that time. I guess the soundtrack as well, really good soundtrack, the great soundtracks. Great soundtrack holds up still yeah, and just there's like there's no I'm just thinking about it now, Like there's like the romance of obviously Romeo and Juliet, but there's also a lot of sensuality to the film, which I think you don't sort of think of when you think of Romeo and Juliet as the play or the star cross lovers. They're very like you don't think of the sensuality or the sort of explosion of puberty in that kind of world. I think the film does well in exploring this is a sub category.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this question traveling bone is worrying why I don't a film you found a rising but you weren't sure you ship.
Speaker 3: I think Aladdin is the answer to this because you were immediately shamed, immediately shamed. I also wanted to be Aladdin but had a crush on Aladdin, which I think is a lot of the time, Like that's how my romantic life is being is like I want to be you or I'll just be with you, you know, like I like such a either idolizing of the person that I'm like, you know, I kind of just want to be you, but if I so, Yeah, I wanted to be Aladdin, but also like I definitely wanted to be the Genie, but I think, Yeah, I think Aladdin, like you had a bit of a crush on him.
Speaker 2: He's not really my type now, but nipples.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm not wearing purple vests and pandaloons with the little Fez fancied a bit as well. Yeah yeah yeah, definitely big broadcast, Yeah, funny, very slim, ways turn into anything, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Be anywhere. Yeah, he's great and voices, yeah, very entertaining. What is the film you most relate to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is maybe a different kind of answer. I did a film back in like twenty eleven I think could not suitable for children, and when it came out, people were like, Wow, Sarah cool, she's great, She's Australia's Emma Stone.
Speaker 2: I was like, fuck, I know what you are Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Thanks, Yeah. So I kept getting this and sleep. Some people get on telling me this and I've never seen any of her stuff. But I was a bit like, can I just be Australia's Sarah Snook? Can I just be like my own name? Or can I be like can't she be Americas?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Like just I wanted to be my own person anyway. Then I went and watched Easy A which had come out maybe the year two years before. It was sort of like at the beginning of her thing. I watched that. I was like, oh, yep, no, I am Australia's demistone. She's a better version of me. Fuck god, damn, damn it. I could I could have done this film. I wouldn't have done it as well as she does because I have a better copy of.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the one I watched.
Speaker 3: And this is me and I think we thought we were get together. I know you've been infusive in your praise. Need to cover your disappointments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now listen credits.
Speaker 3: We don't have to. No, you can just change the name. No one else will know. They'll be like, oh yeah, Hemma Stone just looks a little different, not that much different, even do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've also got J. J. Field in this series. He looks exactly like Tom. Basically we've made.
Speaker 3: As the double Gaggers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the film? Objectively, that's the greatest film of all times. This is a hard one favorite just objectively, the pedicle of cinema.
Speaker 3: I don't like saying things that are in this way.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, that's the I wouldn't answer that question. But then I haven't died fully of a rocket ship well trying to save you.
Speaker 3: I mean that case, it should be gravity. I think it's possibly The Incredibles.
Speaker 2: I mean, no one saw that coming, no one. I love that film, not even ever in your head. Tell me about The Incredibles.
Speaker 3: The only film a little walked out of at the end and walked straight back in and take it and watched it again. Yeah, I loved it. I got I just loved it. I loved I loved Superheroes. Surprisingly, I haven't like watched a lot of Avengers or any of the other superhero films, but I just love the concept. I really did love the concept of superheroes at that time. It's funny, it's got a good message. And then Incredibles too, super psyched, and I really loved it as well. Yeah, I don't know what objectively is the greatest. Probably the Godfather. Probably everyone says incredible, more interesting.
Speaker 2: I answer, well, a bit.
Speaker 3: Of lightness, a bit of fun, bit of humor, Life of Brian.
Speaker 2: Maybe. I think that's a very good chat.
Speaker 3: I think humor needs to be in the greatest molm of all time, because otherwise where are we in the top ten films in IMDb's sort of reckoning do not have really any I don't think so. From memory, I was like, that's dark, that's dark, that's got guns. Damn, that's like.
Speaker 2: I think people forget about humor. It's still take it for they Yeah, and that it's quite easy to beat.
Speaker 3: It is comparatively, and I love watching films with humor, but I don't seek I don't go and watch I'm gonna go watch a comedy now. For some reason, I don't do that. But a film that has that is funny with drama and heart, that makes me that's the best The Incredibles, yeah, or maybe I'm going to put that for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm giving you the Incredible. Okay, great, it's a very good film. And that's your choice. What is the film you can or have watched the most over and over again.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of answers, and they all seem to be in the nineties. Okay, But I think I watched like films a lot when I was because I was kind alone a lot when I was a kid by myself, and I must have just watched a lot of films then and watched the same ones over and over, like I've watched Aladdin count like infinite amount of times and Lanking and Free Willy and Beethoven and Little Princess and Pretty Woman and Goodwill Hunting and Best Friend's Wedding and Pacific Created the Desert and in the Cupboard and Mighty Ducks and White Fang and Matilda and Missus Doubtfire and Dramangi and all the like the ones with Robin Williams. Yeah, so ones that I could watch over and over again. Now I don't tend to watch films twice, but then I used to watch them a lot. Incredible was the last film I did that with, like walked out and watched This was two days apart the Lego movie. Was this last time I saw twice? Yeah? Yeah, love and animated. My mom used to be a Disney rap would bring home animated films, so I used to just watched like Aladdin White Well, I think she's just like yeah, like like selling Disney vhs and so I grew up watching. She would bring them home for me to watch. Cool, very cool, So like Little Mermaid, Peter pan Wi, the Pooh Uh Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Cinderella, Aladdin, Yan King, No, she'd left by the time that one came out.
Speaker 2: Seen that.
Speaker 3: I've got to really like sort of line between like Milan she'd gone that, you know, like there's a there's a late Disney that I'm like, no, it's not it's not real Jsney just recently right, Yeah, it's informed a lot. And also within that, like all the characters. My favorite character because I look so I because I have a problem, I guess with the idea of this like this princess sort of thing where you need a man to save you and you know, the kiss of the Sleeping Beauty and all those kinds of things. I'm like, that's a bit as a narrative to be telling our young daughters of the world. And yet I watched all those films growing up, and the thing I came away with it was like, I want to be Ursula, I want to be Jafar, I want to be the Genie, I want to be Aladdin, I want to be Sebastian. And I like all the characters. Okay, yeah, I could dig a little sit but Nala whatever tomorrow and Bumba definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not even Cinderella. What about in cinereata. Do you want to be pretty termining? I mean he's interested, yeah, and Sleeping Beauty won't be.
Speaker 3: I didn't really watch that very much because there was no evil character that snow White. The dwarves and the Queen, but most.
Speaker 2: Of the Dwarves isn't Maleficent in Sleep Beauty.
Speaker 3: No, it's the story of the evil Queen. Right, I haven't seen Maleficent.
Speaker 2: She's the bad guy. Slip Beauty. You have like that?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to give you the engine in the cupboard? What is the We don't like to be negative, but we'll do it quick. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Gremlins?
Speaker 2: Okay? A lot of people just throwing their listening devices at the wall and they're like, I liked Australia's ever. I'm totally happy to hear your thoughts on whys. Beloved literally just re released and every film magazine is giving it five stars.
Speaker 3: Beloved Gremlins literally re released and given five stars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this month, I've read it in four magazines and I'm surprised. Five stars acrossupport.
Speaker 3: It's terrible. It's such a bad film. What the puppetry is bad. I've watched it, okay, granted, yeah, I have zero nostalgic attachment to it. I never saw it until three years ago, and I was like, oh, Gremlins. Everyone loves Gremlins. You can watch Gremlins. Was like, this is some xenophobic weird Like, no, it's terrible. It's really bad. The Gremlins are kind of like ah, no, I just got really pissed off watching it. Maybe that's why I City Slickers was bad, because he watched them the same.
Speaker 2: I think I watched Gremlins recently and think my criticism was only that it's very slow, surprising song, it's amazing. I loant it for gm to pop up in Gremlin's Yeah, but Gremlin's.
Speaker 3: Two really okay, Gremlin's two. The only thing I know about Gremen's two is Jordan's Peel's and I think that's brilliant. I just don't need to watch it now.
Speaker 2: That's like, but it's really funny. It's just like a sketch show and it's taking the place out of Trump. Okay, and I'll watch it funny and they all sing New New York.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, Gremlin's won the man. Slow.
Speaker 2: It is slow.
Speaker 3: All this like, oh, it's a German made cards probably Like what the fuck is this xenophobe? Like, come on, can't we all.
Speaker 2: Just get along? What is the listen? You're funny? What's the funniest? What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 3: The Castle?
Speaker 2: Fucking great film.
Speaker 3: Castle, And that would be like one if I was going to watch again and again and again. I've seen that one so many times. I love that film. It's so good, it's great, It's just so charming. They shot it in like ten days. They like the best sort of cobbled together brilliance and teamwork, and I love it.
Speaker 2: You know, I really like a lot. Every Australian that I had on this show has picked The Castle. And the reason I really like that is that I love the Castle around the world and was but it's the sort of film where I would worry that in Australian that's not what Australia is like.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Crocodile Dundee is like, yeah, that's not that I'm to be honest, I've never seen the film, but the Castle is just so good. When they're shopping trolley home with the luggage in it, because they're so close to the airport and the happiness about that, like sort of like the innocent naivety of like, yeah, and it's great because we just bring so close to the airport, but everyone get away from the airport is bad real estate. They're like, oh, isn't it great? Just like seeing the good side of things, seeing the bright side of life, seeing like, you know, choose to see the positive side.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Tell them is dreamond you know all those like all the quotes, it's the vibe.
Speaker 2: It's Eric Banner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, yeah, comedy excellent.
Speaker 2: Love the answer Sarah Snook. Yes, you've been wonderful. However, when you you were ninety two and as part of a new program that you set up, which was Old People Saved the World, yeah, you said goodbye to your remaining family. They were fine with it. They were like listen. You were like listen, I might come back. And they were like, okay, we'll say goodbye just in case, wink wink. And you're like, no, no, I think I'll come back. And they went, yeah, okay, grand and they said, but just so you know, I'm saying goodbye. I love you, and I goodbye. And you were like, see you with the bit and they were like mm hmm, yeah, and the super Grand got on this. You went super Grand. You went on a rocket ship, you got out of the atmosphere, you got a load of space invoices, and you started putting data that would forget the burg to put into her abacus because she doesn't use and.
Speaker 3: You did, you did it.
Speaker 2: But for some reason, one of the accounts that flew out the window. I'll better get on the side of the rock ship pick up that invoice. You stepped out with your helmet everything, but you fell off, just slipped off the edge, clumsy, and you slipped off the edge of the spaceship and you started free floating through, heading towards the atmosphere because you've pointed down and you thought, oh, it'd be nice to get a little high. I haven't got any weed on me. Maybe i'll see if I can take a load of oxygen. And as your body got near the atmosphere, it was about to explain. Instead you popped open the hood of your helmet. You went and your head exploded, just explaining it all over space. Yeah, anyway, I heard about this and I was like, bloody hell, Muggin's ear has got a clean up, so I had to lay into space.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went out and one of them wrote things scraping up the bits. If you are blown up, listen, I'm my friend. Scraped it all together. But there's bits of debris from the space suit that exploded with it. There's like bits of stars. I mean, we made of stuff. But you at this point literally were anyway. I got all of you back together. I brought you back to her. It was a fucking mess. I'm going to lie and there was a lot more of you than I had expected because of all the extra bits I picked up stuff all of you into a coffin. The coffin was originally made to your specifications, but there's more more of you.
Speaker 3: Well, I was melded with the debris.
Speaker 2: The pressure of them actually made your body expand and the explosion are real.
Speaker 3: It's a real mess. Yeah, stuffed you in the thing is it's full now?
Speaker 2: This coffin is absolutely rammed and there's only room for one DVD that I could slide in the side, send you over to the other side, and on the other side. It's movie night every night. What movie are you taking to show everyone on your movie night? I think boy she's taking Boy.
Speaker 3: I think, boy, there's a lot of films one could take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think James Acaster is taking.
Speaker 3: Boy, so damn it, I have to take a different one.
Speaker 2: No, you've taken it. People like it that much, they'll be happy came around again.
Speaker 3: Maybe if no one's taken Priscilla quid the doesn't have they taken that one?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's stayed on there, so you can take all right, boy, you take Boy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a gold, gold, platinum edition.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you would like to tell anyone to look out for?
Speaker 3: Follow you one, look out for my Space program. I'll look out both ways across the road. I don't know. We start shooting in April, so for the third season. There is a third season that will come out next year at some point. Look up for this. The thing which doesn't have a name yet, doesn't is a name.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, I don't know if we're allowed.
Speaker 3: Yet, untitled Red Wilbridges Project. Multiple people. It's about soments.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It stars English Tom Ministon and Australia's Ever and it also has things in it, so it's got a lot. Thank you so much. It's a really big deal. I know you don't do these things, and I really appreciate you. You're welcome, thank you very much. All right, well done, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Good to be here.
Speaker 2: Thanks, good to have you.
Speaker 1: So that was the wonderful Sarah Snook in a rewind episode of Films to be Buried with We'll see you again next week for another episode, but in the meantime, and I'm doing this off memory, so I'm not going to get this right. But be well, take care of yourselves and each other. That's not it, is it? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, this is it. Be excellent to each other.