Speaker 1: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Jannis Poutellis, Brody Henderson, Alyssa Smith, Hayden Samok, Corey Culkin's logan Dove Mackenzie Elmquist and Austin kleeberad or Chili Now, Chili, this is your first time? What is it? It's clever Ad, clever Rad. I'm with a. That's all right, clever rat. That's why we call you Chili Chili. Tell folks what you do here at meat Eater.
Speaker 3: I am the property and equipment manager and I also do a little bit of IT work and.
Speaker 2: Did some I work for me today. I did, Yeah, what did you do for Brody wuld like make the font big on his phone? It's already is already look at.
Speaker 1: His phone on the screen.
Speaker 2: What was the IT help for people?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I just basically gave him access to all the files a meter so he can do whatever he needs to do.
Speaker 2: Remember that he knew the property management stuff. This is the last episode in this podcast studio.
Speaker 1: That's correct?
Speaker 5: Is Meat Eater are gonna let you go after this?
Speaker 2: Project's done, you think, I think, So what use do they have for you after after this is open?
Speaker 6: You haven't been in the new office. There's a lot of use.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, so clock's not taken quite yet, I hope not.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great job.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: If you're not familiar, This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and each week you're on Trivia, we reveal a new stat This week we're looking at the question breakdown by category. So far, there have been six hundred thirty questions asked on this podcast. The breakdown for those is thirty seven percent have been conservation, twenty five percent have been hunting, twenty percent have been fishing, and eighteen percent have been cooking. The conservation category is disproportionately higher because it tends to be a catch all for things that aren't directly tied to the other three verticals, like bad TV shows. Bad TV shows, Sure, yep, all that stuff. Rody doesn't like that usually gets lumped into thirty seven percent.
Speaker 6: I think you should conservation categories.
Speaker 2: And for the housekeeping portion of today's show, I'm going to answer some FAQs about the Shelby Index. Now, the Shelby Index is a barometer that I use to determine how tough a batch of questions for trivia is. I asked these questions to my wife the night before each show, and usually she gets about half as many right as the winner. And we actually had a stat on episode four to two four that proved this to be true. Anyway, I get a lot of questions about the Shelby Index, and I'll do my best to answer them. Now, question, how does Shelby get half points?
Speaker 8: Answer?
Speaker 2: Because I'm a good husband. If there's a question where you have to provide multiple answers and she gets half of the right answers, then she often rewards herself with half of a point, and I don't argue. Plus, I'd like that it adds some diversity to the Shelby Index. Question does the Shelby Index ever change the game? Answer? Sometimes. I think the sweet spot for an episode is when the Shelby Index is between three and five. If she gets less than or more than that, I'll often reword questions or change them all together to create a more competitive episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't ever remember the Shelby index being anything but between.
Speaker 2: Three and five. Hold on, we got another thing coming up here. Question Can you tell us which questions Shelby gets right? Answer? No, Here's why I know these jackals in the room will use that to their advantage. For example, if the Shelby index is three and she has only gotten two right going into the final question, then our players would know that their answer should try to match Shelby's. For that reason, I'm going to keep her correct answers A mystery that seems like something you do, Brody, Right, If you knew that you had to like match Shelby's answer on question you revealed her answer. That's well, if I told you which one she got right right, So the Shelby inex was three and at question ten she only has two right, so you know that your answer to be correct would have to match what she said.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that would affect I think it was because I wouldn't know what her answer was in the first place.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I think you could. It would help inform your answer because you're like, Okay, uh, this person who isn't very familiar with the subject matter.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: The question. Has Shelby ever won a game? Answer yes. On episode three eighty eight, the Shelby Index was six. Brody and Joannis also got six points in that game and went to a tiebreaker. The question was in the tiebreaker what percentage of American women had fished within the last year. Brody said twenty two point seven percent and Giannis said twenty point one percent. The correct answer was seven percent. And when I got home after that episode, I asked my wife the same question and her answer was nine percent, which would have made her the winner.
Speaker 6: I still think you're wrong.
Speaker 2: So that would mean that my wife, who hasn't shot a deer caught a fish since twenty sixteen, was once victorious over some of the world's best hunters and anglers.
Speaker 3: She caught you, guys, once you know what I was wondering about the Shelby Index, And maybe you've done this, but I don't think you have. You should figure out who who beats the Shelby Index, like, exceeds the Shelby Index the most and.
Speaker 2: By how much? Okay, we could do that sometime. I'd like to try to avoid hurt feelings in the stance we could have people.
Speaker 1: What do you mean all the stats hurt feelings are they?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I try to try to lift you up for the most part of.
Speaker 6: The three against the Shelby index or something like. I don't know.
Speaker 3: We could figure would that just be who wins the most?
Speaker 1: Brodie just wants more accolades?
Speaker 3: No, I just want to know.
Speaker 2: We'll keep exploring the Shelby Index.
Speaker 5: Speaking of Shelby, who's the bigger swiftye her or you?
Speaker 2: I would say it's equal. We inform each other's uh swiftness, but usually swift. You would be a fan of Taylor Swift. I'm just siphoning off of somebody else.
Speaker 6: It took me a while to catch up to what was going on there.
Speaker 2: I'm less of a fan of Taylor Swift, and I'm more interested in the fandom that follows her. It's like the most feverish fandom I've ever witnessed. As someone who likes a lot of sports and TV shows and often gets like a deep dive into those things, the Swifty universe is another thing, right, Phil.
Speaker 8: Yes, and you're Yeah, yeah, you're you're asking me because we've had conversations about Taylor Swift in your kitchen before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're a swift than too.
Speaker 9: Wow, she spans such a broad range of age demographics.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a universal challenge that she has.
Speaker 9: Would say sell my girls that we should go, and she's like, well, why the hell would you go? And I was telling her probably I would go just as much with the people watching as anything.
Speaker 2: Like I said, we have we have the other Swifties in the company, and I just like to talk to them about the fandom and hear what they have to say. Corey's wife is a huge swifty as well. Right, cool, that's how this all came. Does that bleed over into you Not so much? No, you don't consider yourself as swifty.
Speaker 4: No, I'll let her play it in the drift boat every once in a while, but man, reggae has to overcome swifty.
Speaker 9: Swift song came on my playlist while we were in the car the other day and within seconds Corey had hit the next But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corey's wife was saying that your son is like, Mom, can you not play this song anymore? You think it's gotten to that level at home.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, a little bit, but then he'll play, you know, like the teenage mutant Ninja Turtle song one hundred times in a row, so evens out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess on the Shelby Index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stay under?
Speaker 1: Win everything?
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 5: Gamon suckers.
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is cooking, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these foods was not served at the First Thanksgiving? Is it passenger, pigeon potatoes, eel or pumpkins? Which of these foods was not served at the first Thanksgiving? Passenger, pigeon potatoes, eel or pumpkins. Three of these things were at that first Thanksgiving. One of them was not. How are we doing, Yannie? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 1: Educated guests?
Speaker 2: Okay, how's the rest of the room doing, Brody? I think we're waiting on.
Speaker 1: You keep waiting.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, okay, do you have a narrow down at least?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 9: Oh, look at this cute little uh poem. Someone wrote down here on the back of my board. Roses are red, violets are blue. Brody sucks at trivia and Steve does too.
Speaker 2: I don't know who wrote that one. I don't know that specific poem. I think will be in the board game as graffiti on the back of the whiteboards that come with the game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you got any updates for us?
Speaker 2: There not yet more to come soon. Brody, how are we doing?
Speaker 5: He's writing a novel?
Speaker 9: I know, Hmmrod, he's writing poem.
Speaker 6: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying passenger pigeon, Hayden saying pumpkins, Logan saying potatoes, Alyssa saying pumpkins, Corey seeing potatoes, Mackenzie saying pumpkins, Giannis saying potatoes, Chili saying pumpkins. The correct answer is potatoes.
Speaker 8: Oh it is potato.
Speaker 2: Potatoes were not there. Potatoes are native to South America and hadn't yet made it to New England in sixteen twenty one, but according to historians, they did eat roasted pumpkin, boiled passenger pigeons, and smoked eel. If you want to learn more about what was on the menu than read my article in the Mediator dot com called the First Thanksgiving wild Game Extinction and Stuffing. Question two, the topic is hunting. You like that? Lots of unpack there? Question two, the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to is via Tom Tessman. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eat Trivia, you can say it to trivia at the medeater dot com. This state hosted its first elk hunt in twenty twenty and first black bear hunt in twenty twenty one. Some confident answers in the room again, the question is this state hosted its first el kunt in twenty twenty and first black bear hunt in twenty twenty one. Yanni is not one of the confident people. Brody is Brody? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: Almost?
Speaker 2: Certainly? Okay, Your whole side of the table looks confident. Hayden, you have this one right as well.
Speaker 1: No, I'm thinking on it.
Speaker 2: Okay. This state hosted its first elk hunt in twenty twenty and first black bear hunt in twenty twenty one. Phil, last episode in this studio, What's gonna be your fondest memory when we move out here?
Speaker 9: Out of here?
Speaker 2: Is that it today?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, today's the last day. I'm gonna miss Steve complaining about not being able to hear half the time and then realizing it's probably because he's dead. The train we just heard it. That's why you asked, do.
Speaker 2: We have a train at the next studio or now?
Speaker 6: No train?
Speaker 8: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't think you could actually.
Speaker 8: Hear the train on any of the recordings, but that's that's an easter egg for all you listeners out there. The train would roll by quite often.
Speaker 2: Are you in charge of decorating?
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna put that off on Hayden. I think it's because he's got.
Speaker 2: He's gonna it off on Chili. No.
Speaker 8: No, because we're gonna be hanging up. We're gonna be hanging up some furs. He might have a full bear mount.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's gonna be. We're gonna use a bear mount as a bass track. We got that black velvet wall we got to cover up. Oh no, I like it with a coffin shape podcast table.
Speaker 8: That's true.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be like a goth rock music video set. But we're going to do our best to yeah, undo that perfect.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's fondest memory will be what you said. Moving on here, this is a cramped room to get ten people in here for trivia, it's tight. Does everybody have an answer for question too?
Speaker 5: I just have a quick question, what do you mean by hosted?
Speaker 2: Steve Harvey came and yeah, like he gave out its first tags that year for Elk in twenty twenty and black bear in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: Zero idea.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready?
Speaker 8: One to fift one?
Speaker 5: I did go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 2: We have Brody sang Missouri, Hayden sang Missouri, Logan sang Pennsylvania, and he crossed out Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: Pennsylvania is saying Virginia.
Speaker 2: Corty sang Pennsylvania, Mackenzie sang California, Jannis sang Missouri, Chile sang New York. The correct answer is Missouri. A few folks got it. Nineteen thousand hunters applied for Missouri's first five elk tags in twenty twenty. All five hunters were successful. Six thousand hunters applied for Missouri's first four hundred bear permits in twenty twenty one. The state capped the harvest at forty but only had twelve killed over the nine day season. Missouri can considered both inaugural seasons a huge success. Question three, The topic is biology. According to the USGS, this illness is fatal for sixty five percent of big horn sheep that contract it. Again, the topic is biology. According to the USGS, this illness is fatal for sixty five percent of big horn sheep that contract it. Again, A confident answer by Brody Giannis Slow to his board, Corey, do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 2: Okay also had a quick answer Hayden over here, who I think is donated to the Wild Sheep Foundation, when he's won, I know what it does? Yet come up with an answer?
Speaker 7: I know what it does. I think I have an answer. My problem is is I think this well. I'll explain it later if you're curious.
Speaker 2: According to the USGS, this illness is fatal for sixty five percent of big horn sheep that contracted. Hayden doesn't want to give any hints, but he hasn't come up with an answer yet either.
Speaker 4: That's my issue to I don't know if I'm writing correctly. Spelling is important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have this one right as probably the sole person who has shot a big horn sheep in this room. I think, so okay, it's everybody ready. Chilia, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saang pneumonia, Hating saying brucellos bucalos.
Speaker 1: Well, clearly I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Logan saying c w D, Alyssa saying c w D, Corey saying pneumonia, Mackenzie saying brucellosis. Giannis sang pneumonia Chile without an answer. The correct answer is pneumonia.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like some like sheepy like version of pneumonia.
Speaker 2: One study showed that pneumonia is the top cause of death for some big horn sheep herds, with thirty six percent of fatalities being linked to the illness, and even when big horns do survive, they can act as carriers for future generations of lambs. Most herds infected with pneumonia contracted the infection through close contact with domestic sheep and domestic goats.
Speaker 6: Pneumonia killed a pile of antelope and wyoming this year.
Speaker 2: I really I didn't know it got to them too.
Speaker 6: It's like a side effect of that bad winner.
Speaker 2: Giannis was pneumonia issue in the place where you haunted in Colorado? Who's that a concern there?
Speaker 9: I don't believe so.
Speaker 2: Some herds I saw it, like I said.
Speaker 9: Three and six, they it's a concerns because there are domestic sheep that is still you know, put out on range in that mountain range. But I don't know if that they've actually contracted it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question four the topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Kurt Gortletz for sending this great question. Kurt is going to get a book signed by Steve. This artist painted a tarpin on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The room is stumped. This artist painted a tarpin on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Logan, the only.
Speaker 5: Person to come the Sistine Chapel, the Sistine Chapel. Do we get a year?
Speaker 2: Not going to tell you.
Speaker 8: Let's follow up.
Speaker 2: In fact, Duyd has the year. I'm not going to tell you the year again. This artist painted a tarpin on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Logan, Do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Potentially we were having a discussion I think in the car last week about like, how many famous artists can you name?
Speaker 2: That's all okay, okay, so you're just picking one of them, Yes, okay, that might have been a hint. This artist painted a tarpin on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Speaker 5: Is he a ninja turtle? I feel like it's kind of a stretch to have this as a fishing question.
Speaker 2: Just go with the Mackenzie very welcome.
Speaker 8: I'm just upset.
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Also, welcome to Suvia.
Speaker 2: Yanni. You're gonna get this one right.
Speaker 5: Answer, Logan, when you're having.
Speaker 2: That conversation, how many artists could you name?
Speaker 3: Maybe like five jacks?
Speaker 2: Is everybody who's going to come up with an answer have an answer. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody and Hayden and Logan sang Michael Angelo, Alissa Sang, Leonardo da Vinci, Cory Sang Da Vinci, Mackenzie sang Michael Angelo, sang ed Anderson, who is currently alive, Chili sang Michael Angelo. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Michael Angelo. The room did very well.
Speaker 3: I figure there is no way it could be an actual fishing artist. Like, because that's what I was thinking at first. I'm like, maybe for some special projects, I know.
Speaker 1: A little tarpin in the corner.
Speaker 2: I consider this the first accurate painting of a tarpin. So how did it wind up next to Jonah in the world's most famous mural, Well in the story about Jonah getting swallowed. The Bible didn't identify the fish as a whale until the King James version came out in sixteen eleven, that's one hundred years after the Sistine Chapel was painted. Before that, it was just called, quote a great fish. It speculated that Michael Angelo interpreted the great fish as a tarpin, so that's what he placed in the painting. Humans didn't have a consistent way to land big tarpin by that point, so some folks like Michael Angelo hypothesized that they grew to biblical proportions.
Speaker 6: Where would he have run into a tarpin fish?
Speaker 2: That's like kind of the cool thing. That's why it's one of the first accurate paintings of a tarpin. What part don't you buy?
Speaker 6: I don't buy that it's a tarpin.
Speaker 2: Oh, you look at the painting. It's a tarping. You look at it and be like, oh, that's a that's a tarp It's the only thing you could maybe think it is, is like an arapaima or something like that, which I don't think he'd knew what that was either. I want to know how he would have seen a tarpin, an Atlantic tarpin. Take a look at it. It's right there on the ceiling of the world's most famous mural. Question five, The topic is mountain Men. Good question, Thank you, Yanni. That's why it was our listener question of the week. What book is the movie? Jeremiah Johnson? Based off of What book is the Movie? Jeremiah Johnson based off of The room is slow to come up with an answer, Brody, I thought this would be firmly in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Usually when we have mountain men questions, it's like you and Steve, who get them right? You gotta look at that stat Okay, here we can visit again. What book is the movie? Jeremiah Johnson? Based off of who has seen Jeremiah Johnson? Everybody haven't except Logan, Alyssa Mackenzie.
Speaker 1: Robert Redford Man. Okay, Robert Redford is my favorite add a young one handsome man? Yo, dude? That beard.
Speaker 2: Again? What book is the movie? Jeremiah Johnson based off of Nobody may get this one right? Corey, you haven't answer. Do you have the right answer?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, you honest is now coming up with one? Yanni. Are you going to have the right answer? Probably not, Logan. Do you know what Jeremiah Johnson is You haven't seen the movie?
Speaker 8: No, you haven't seen it. No, but you know what movie I did just watch?
Speaker 3: That was Sweet Your Young Guns a classic.
Speaker 6: You should go watch Jeremiah Johnson tonight, does everybody have.
Speaker 4: Any I think it holds its On movie day at the new office.
Speaker 2: I tried to donate my projector to the new office and they didn't take it a projector.
Speaker 1: Do you think we can put a new projector?
Speaker 5: We can put it on the ping pong table?
Speaker 2: I donated that to the opposite We have two of them.
Speaker 1: We got two ping pong tables.
Speaker 2: It's like a ping pong business now going on.
Speaker 1: FHF is making paddles.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying the Mountain Man, Hayden saying, Journal of a trapper logan without an answer. Alicia is saying how the West was run? Mackenzie saying what's that say? McKenzie broke back mountains saying mountain Men Chili without an answer. It was based on two books. One of them is Crow Killer and the other one was Mountain Men. Yanni got it right, Yani, did you even know that was a book? Mountain Man?
Speaker 5: I think we'll give to you.
Speaker 2: What did you write, Brody.
Speaker 5: The Mountain Man.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to give it to you.
Speaker 8: Doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Give it to him, give it to Corey.
Speaker 2: Well done. I was glad you got there.
Speaker 5: You got to give it to Brody.
Speaker 2: We'll give it to both of you. I don't think you should.
Speaker 5: You were one letter off Yanni pneumonia, but.
Speaker 2: It could have been milling. Here's why I think we'll give it to you is because Yanni said to give it to you, and Yanny got it right.
Speaker 9: But now now that we had to give it to somebody that's in contention with me, I feel differently.
Speaker 6: It's up to you guys, but I like if I was sitting in your shoes, I would give it to you, honest and not us.
Speaker 8: But in my shoes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, give it to me. When Yanni didn't know that you were going to be a point he was he was going to give it to Corey. Spencer just really wants to contender.
Speaker 8: I'm just being nice and point.
Speaker 5: Phil, what do you think this is?
Speaker 2: Question five?
Speaker 8: This I honestly I marked Brody getting it right.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna do that. Then we're gonna give it to Corey and Brody again. One of the books was Mountain Man.
Speaker 5: Again they wrote Mountain.
Speaker 2: Man, according according to I am dB, Jeremiah Johnson is based off of two books, although most just associated with crow Killer by Raymond Thorpe and Robert Bunker. One historian called it the genre's most influential and misunderstood book of all time. The problem with crow Killer is that it's presented as a biography, even though it's almost entirely based on inaccurate oral histories. Phil am, I beaten you, honest, Phil, We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give Brody a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna keep them on the edge of a seat for one more seconds. Going back to podcast studio memories, the Christmas episodes, I'd say Okay, the two we did we did in here the first one, and we did some lead throwing indoors, melted some lead and looked at our futures violations. Yeah, maybe possibly, who's to say. And then there was the Tiki family few one, which is dangerous for a different reason.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: We've got Alyssa yet to make an impression on the board. Mackenzie and Chili have one point apiece, Hayden and Logan have two coreas three and tied for first place are Jannison Berty.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll keep it. Question six, the topic is hunting. Social media users called for a boycott of this fast food chain in twenty nineteen after hunting photos of its founder circulated online. Social media users called for a boycott of this fast food chain in twenty nineteen after hunting photos of its founder circulated online. We have a very confident room. Everyone may get this one right. Yanni is the slowest to Ulyssa's shaking. No, Giannis doesn't need fast food against. Social media users called for a boycott to this fast food chain in twenty nineteen after hunting photos of its founder circulated online. Is everybody ready any fast food chain? Who he thinks founder tried to get canceled in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: Did he get canceled?
Speaker 7: No, I mean maybe as much as a fast food founder could possibly get cancel Although Papa John's got canceled super hard.
Speaker 2: He did it. It wasn't a photos he like, uh, he's white, and he used the N word on a conference call. So that's a good way to lose your company, everybody.
Speaker 1: Was a very valid way to lose your company.
Speaker 8: Among other things.
Speaker 2: I think he had a he had a long track record.
Speaker 8: Here's a lot of like deranged interviews where he's sweating profusely and just like spewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that famous video of David Hasselhoff who's like on the kitchen floor. I feel like he had things similar to that. Is everybody ready, yep, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying Jimmy johns Hayden saying Jimmy Johns logan saying Chick fil A, Alyssa saying Burger king alys or excuse me, Corey saying Jimmy John, Mackenzie saying Subway, Yanny saying Jimmy John's Chili saying Chick fil A, the correct answer is Jimmy Johns.
Speaker 5: I let not think Jimmy john I was gonna say.
Speaker 8: I kind of agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was their whole thing, is there?
Speaker 2: There? There you go. They're wiki identifies it as a fast food. I've seen identified elsewhere as a fast food.
Speaker 8: Definitely fast ok.
Speaker 1: Con never feels like fast food when you need it, for sure.
Speaker 2: The hashtag boycott Jimmy Johns was tweeted over seventy seven thousand times in twenty nineteen. This happened after photos of Jimmy john posing with dead rhinos, elephants, and zebras went viral on social media. It didn't seem to work, though, since Jimmy Johns went from being the thirty fifth most profitable restaurant in twenty nineteen to thirty fourth and twenty twenty and thirty second in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: It's pretty hilarious that a bunch of people that are eating ham sandwiches and roast beef subs are.
Speaker 2: Like, get that guy he hunts? Like what the hell? Question seven the topic.
Speaker 3: I think that guy donated a shitload spend a shitload of money on rh no like a Utah governor.
Speaker 2: Her tags oh yeah, Cory, Yeah, I feel like you've talked about Corey before. How in your past life you knew guides who like explicitly worked with Jimmy John. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I kind of threw the grape vine. I guess, not not one on one or anything. He hires a lot of guides at one time.
Speaker 2: What was the situation there was like kind of one guy that he had that he liked to go to. I don't know the guy's name, but whether Jimmy John was hunting like Utah or Texas or Idaho, he'd liked this one dude that was like basically his chauffeur. Oh man, do you remember that? No, Okay, we'll move on Question seven. The topic is fish saying. This next great question comes to us via Dustin O'Brien. If you have a question you think is right for media to trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the mediator dot com. Three states list the walleye as an official state symbol. Name one of those states.
Speaker 5: Some three states.
Speaker 2: List the walleye as an official state symbol. I need you to name one of those states.
Speaker 6: This is a fishing question.
Speaker 2: This is fishing question seven.
Speaker 8: State symbol.
Speaker 1: That is a fish.
Speaker 2: It's not a true question, Brody. Just a state symbol is a state fish. States have like a state insect, a state plant, state tree, state fruit.
Speaker 1: Do you know Pennsylvania state fish is Brody brook trout? What about state bird?
Speaker 2: Rough grouse?
Speaker 1: On fishing questions, dang.
Speaker 8: Home state?
Speaker 2: They're from Pennsylvania. Now Brody just knows them all the town is that he really is walking with.
Speaker 9: I don't think I can answer that for Michigan.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready to Michigan rough grow?
Speaker 8: I think that might be the same too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is everybody ready. Lissa, go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Brody and Hayden and Logan saying Minnesota, Alyssa saying Montana, Corey and Mackenzie and Jannis saying Minnesota, Chili saying Wisconsin. The three states are Minnesota, South Dakota, and Vermont. Chile your home state, Chili is a South Dakota.
Speaker 1: I'm from southeast.
Speaker 8: Shouldn't know that.
Speaker 2: Didn't know the walleye was a state fish. Minnesota declared the walleye there're state fish in nineteen sixty five. Vermont followed suit in nineteen seventy eight. In South Dakota in nineteen ninety two. Some states list multiple fish as state symbols and separate them by state saltwater fish and state freshwater fish. Vermont is the only state, though, that has a state cold water fish and state warmwater fish. Question eight, the topic is woodsmanship. What three months are when the most acres are burned by wildfires in the United States? What three months are when the most acres are burned by wildfires in the United States? This topic is woodsmanship. We will get a scoreboard update from Filled the engineer after this. Again, I need you to name all three months most acres. You said most acres? That's right. What three months are when the most acres are burned by wildfires in the United States? A lot of second guessing in this room. It looks like folks are thinking hard brod, Are you gonna get this one?
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's not a trick question? I will.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready have a trick question?
Speaker 9: Bro could be because I just recently learned that fire season is not the same I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to change my states.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready in the United States? Is everybody ready? Mackenzie? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying July, August, September, Hayden saying July, August, September, Logan saying June July, August, Alyssa saying July, August, September, Cory saying August, September, October, Mackenzie saying June July August, Yannis saying August, September, October, Chile saying July, August, September. The three months are June, July, and August. Three folks said, think got it right. This is according to a study that looked at wildfire trends in America between nineteen ninety two. In twenty fifteen, the month when the most acres burn is June. That's followed by July, August, September, and May. That trend was only bucked in twenty eleven, when Texas had forty three percent of the nation's wildfire acres. The state was on fire for the whole year, with the worst one with the worst months being February, April, May, and September. So June, July, August when the most acres burn, phil Where does the scoreboard now stand?
Speaker 8: Alyssa, Mackenzie, and Chili are no longer in the running for the victory, but we have Logan and Hayden with four points apiece, Corey with five and still tied in first place are Brody and Giannis with six points.
Speaker 9: Two questions every time, Dude, a lot of players still in the game.
Speaker 5: Question nine.
Speaker 2: The topic is cooking. This next great question comes to us via Dan Alonso. Question. You think it's right for media or trivia? You can send it to trivia at the meat eater dot com. Protein poisoning, which is sometimes called blank starvation, is when your body takes in too much protein with not enough fat or carbs. So this is a fill in the blank. Here's the prompt again. Protein poisoning, which is sometimes called blank starvation, is when your body takes in too much protein with not enough fat or carbs. Brody with a quick answer, Brody, are you going to get this one right?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but it's something I've heard before.
Speaker 2: You should have been confident. You could have put some fear and Yanni over here, who has not even picked up his marker yet, hasn't picked up his whiteboard.
Speaker 6: He often waits to write.
Speaker 2: I think he likes the drama of seeing how the rest of the room reacts and then Yanni swoops in at the last second to get it right.
Speaker 1: I hate it when Brody's ahead and then we have like I feel like I'm.
Speaker 7: Ahead, you're ahead of me, bro Well, that's like every game.
Speaker 1: This is a family show. And then do you typically put cooking questions towards the end?
Speaker 7: No, just trying to give it a nice you feel like that's how it plays out, man, because.
Speaker 2: It's a nice even mixed. Question one today was trying cookbooks and question nine was cooking you post cooking videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're like they're like stupid though, they're like, here's how to make Chick fil A nuggets.
Speaker 5: Again, I always double tap.
Speaker 2: Hayden, which is sometimes called blank starvation, is when your body takes in too much protein with not enough fat or carbs. It's everybody who had going to come up with an answer, have an answer, Yanni. Have you came up with an answer yet? No? He came or come either one. Do everybody have an answer? Yanni? It's everybody ready? All right, go ahead, reveal your answers. We have and Hayden saying rabbit Logan sang false alysta without an answer. Corey sang Scarvey Mackenzie without an answer, the honest saying rabbit. He crossed out fat chili without an answer. The correct answer is rabbit or fat. Yeahanna, you had both of the answers. Really, that's right. Rabbit starvation or fat starvation. Rabbit starvation is rare today, but it can happen in survival situations. It was first documented in one fifty BC, when Roman soldiers died after eating nothing but boiled venison and rabbits for days. Symptoms include nausea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure, and diarrhea. Brody, is that something you guys covered in the survival books?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Maybe it got mentioned, but I don't think so.
Speaker 5: It's kind of one of those means, it's not.
Speaker 2: A period of time for that to have to you know, sure, it's right. It'd be something like Bear Grills would talk about in two days, he'd get it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just eat like the liver and stuff and you're good to go. I feil that's how you overcome it.
Speaker 2: We have one question left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: It's coming down to Brodie Giannis once again. We've got seven points.
Speaker 2: Apiece Question ten. The topic is conservation. Consider the largest cactus that's native to the United States. This plant has a national park in Arizona named after it. Spelling couss Considered the largest cactus that's native to the United States. This plant has a national park in Arizona named after it. Brody with a confident answer, Giannis has not picked up his white port, Brodie, are you going to get this one ride? I'm honest, no comment. Yanni is rubbing his temple, trying to find an answer. The most famous cactus I don't know. Considered the largest cactus that's native to the United States. This plant has a national park in Arizona named after it. Mmmm, Corey, I want to revisit. I want to revisit the fishing question about the Sistine Chapel. You gave a pretty heavy hint when you said, is it a teenage media ninja turtle?
Speaker 4: And I didn't even write down a ninja.
Speaker 5: Turtle because I was hoping.
Speaker 7: Somebody I liked how I liked how you wrote it.
Speaker 1: You wrote like Michael Angelo, Like Mike Angelo.
Speaker 5: Spelling doesn't matter, pretty good, Phillips. Spelling was not my strong suit in great school.
Speaker 2: Yanny, how we do it over there?
Speaker 9: Blankboard, Bud, blank mind? Right now, are you going to come up with something? Depends on how much time you give me. Do you guys want to take a quick bathroom break?
Speaker 2: Phil, do you have any other memories about the podcast? Come up with a cat.
Speaker 8: I mean, honestly, one of my favorites is Steve just absolutely going downhill the last few weeks in trivia, and Brody just victorious all the time. It's been great, great to watch.
Speaker 7: Every time I play trivia, I'm in a round with Brody and it's really hurting my average.
Speaker 6: Sitting mind me.
Speaker 1: No, well, I guess right, yeah.
Speaker 7: But like, here's the thing about Brody, man, if if you get behind him early in the game, there was very little chance that you're catching up.
Speaker 2: It's not a winner's mindset, dude, exactly.
Speaker 5: You need a stronger mental game, buddy.
Speaker 2: You know, self confidence, bro Yanni, Phil, Phil, and Hayden just bought you an extra minute, and I see your board is still blank.
Speaker 3: What Joannis used to say, always be hunting, which means you never give up.
Speaker 7: Dude, Yeah, I can do that when I'm actually hunting. But like when he's like, what tarpin was on the painting I get I don't know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't you got that one right?
Speaker 1: I did get that one right. That's that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yanni is currently hunting for an answer, can't find one.
Speaker 5: And regretting giving Brody that extra point.
Speaker 8: Oh so bad.
Speaker 5: Think about it when you're going to a tiebreaker, get.
Speaker 2: Back unless you know Brody, Brodie could still get this one true. He is not super confident, Brodie, what do you think fifty chance?
Speaker 1: Just any cactus?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I know a couple of castuses, but but they're not.
Speaker 2: Big, Yanny, think you need to come up with one here.
Speaker 1: But it's also named after a national part.
Speaker 2: So here's the question again. They're all sorts of considered the largest cactus that's native.
Speaker 3: He's had too much time, but he gave me that answer, so I can't say.
Speaker 2: Ship right now. This plant has a national park in Arizona named after it. When you hear the answer, Yanni, are you going to kick yourself? You think, yes, violently kick myself may not too violent.
Speaker 9: No, I'm just gonna give it, give it.
Speaker 2: I don't have a we had a guess, even wrote it down.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, I'm not going to guess, go ahead and reveal your.
Speaker 2: Hayden saying so Warrow, Logan sang Sequoya, Alyssa sang prickly. Pair Cory sag so Warrow, Mackenzie saying prickly Yanni without an answer, Chili saying dona the correct answer. The correct answer is Sowarro, making Brody.
Speaker 3: Our winner with eight correct I'll cherish this one since this last one in this studio.
Speaker 2: The largest soarrow ever documented was seventy eight feet tall. They grow incredibly slow, with it taking ten years to reach six inches tall. By seventy years old, they're about seven feet tall and produce their first flowers. At age one hundred, they're fifteen feet tall and produce their first arm, and at two hundred years old they reach full maturity at forty five feet tall. Yanni, was that in your head somewhere? Oh yeah, maybe on a different.
Speaker 3: N Those things when you're staring through the glass at Ferkus deer, haven't you.
Speaker 9: I don't know about sooro cactus, but I've been on a sheep punt and got to watch rams just butt.
Speaker 8: The shit out of those.
Speaker 9: Yeah really really yeah, ram and ramming them and Ram what do.
Speaker 2: They do anything it's like testing their head practice into their buddies. Brody takes the final victory in this studio, Brody, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater go. So what's it going to be?
Speaker 3: Since I have the victory is controversial, I'm gonna let Yanish.
Speaker 9: Very kind Alaska BHA so they can keep fighting the no road to Ambler fight.
Speaker 2: Is that, uh where we had a particular crosshoads with that right now or just an ongoing thing.
Speaker 8: It's an ongoing thing.
Speaker 2: What what would BHA do to to help that?
Speaker 9: I'm guessing that right now they're just working on messaging and just getting the word out there that this, uh, this thing's going on and happening.
Speaker 2: Well done, Yanni. Nobody loses in more controversial ways than Yannis Poutellist.
Speaker 5: It's because you're so kind.
Speaker 2: You let that rule happen with the tiebreaker that was the communists set up. You let Brody have the Mountain Man of communists and here we are now. Well done, Brody, Well done, Yannie. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia in the new Studio, the only game show where conservation always wins