Speaker 1: Well, hey everybody, and welcome again to Dirt from the Dugout. I'm krl Ravitch, of course, my partner Justin Museil special time. I appreciate you guys hopping on here. Of course this is a little bit little League based. Of course, we're just about set to begin our journey to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. In fact, I'll get in the car tomorrow morning, about a five hour drive justin if you want to catch up on the phone, I got plenty of time to talk about five hours and roll into Williamsport in the afternoon. We have our big production meeting around six pm, and then the game start on Wednesday. Then it feels like it feels like shows that have copied everything that The League World Series is about. It's appointment viewing, you know, it's the It's these shows you can get hooked on. It's every single night, and we go from Wednesday and through the week from Sunday when we'll crown a champion. It's my favorite event. You know that. We've talked passionately about it. A couple of programming notes. Dirt from the Dugout is going to be off for the two weeks during the Little League World Series. Out of respect for my schedule, which is every single night, we'll return the first September with dirt from the dug Up. Baseball Recruiting Confidential will go on as planned, and then when we come back in September, we may see our dirt from the Dugout expand maybe twice a week we'll be doing it, but we'll be continuing with the great guests. And just wanted everybody to know what our schedule is going to be a two week hiatus during Little League. Please join us watching on ESPN the Little League World Series, and I'll be filing a daily diary from Williamsport on what is going to be my final Little League World Series. I'll kind of share some behind the scenes stuff and get into some of the storylines, etc. So I think it'll be a neat experience for our subscribers on the Parent Dugout. And just before we hear from justin a reminder the parent dug Up you can join it and we invite all of you to get involved. The Parent Dugout dot com is where you can go. You will get dirt from the Dugout. Of course, we'll get the baseball recruiting confidential. You got a chance to ask Justin and I anything. There are engagements with other baseball families about your journeys and theirs, and videos and articles from the baseball world from the best people too have ever played it, to have ever coached it, to have ever managed it, to have ever covered it. And I think I've covered it all. So I'm just about done talking Justin. How you doing, Pal?
Speaker 2: I am awesome, Ravi, and I thought of something last night that I haven't hit you up with before you go into this Little League World Series. Clearly there have been some more games on now. I want to know from the back end. These aren't big leaguers that we see all the time where you know their names. How quickly do you learn their names? And how do you do that? Raviy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we have an amazing support staff. I will say that the cheat sheet has been the fact that all these regional games were on and our guest was spent some time in Bristol as well as going to Williamsport twice. But you do get a chance to see the names, and I know going in we're going to talk a lot about and I think we spoke about Kinlee Rasmus who plays for Phoenix City, Alabama. She's one of I believe two girls on the United States side. She is as talented as as any player I've seen. She's as good as Money Davis, who stole the spotlight when she was pitching back in twenty fourteen. So like her name, Dave Belile is going to join us. He'll talk about this kid named Rincone from New Jersey. We've seen Tissin who's plays who plays ball with Troy Tulowitzki's son. So look, there is uber talent across Little League, which is such a great thing, and so I learned it through the great work of the research folks. We get packaged, I mean we get packaged the size of what people don't remember yellow pages, like just massive amounts of information, pronunciations, backstories. And then over time, as you binge the Little League World Series, you'll get to know the names of the players. That's always one of the neatest parts about it is this slowly bills and after a few days you start to get familiar with the kids on the teams and the coaches and the stories, and you know, by the end of the first week, everybody knows who the teams are, who the players are, where they came from, what the town is like, how many folks are supporting them, all those, you know, wonderful things that make little leagues so great. So that that's the that's the cheat code. But I love the Regional so we spent I spent hours watching them. It's great.
Speaker 2: It's it's awesome, man. I appreciate the insight on that, and it's there's just so much information about all of these players. I think makes the the storyline so great, man. Just the journeys and how they get there in that battle to just get to William's part is so cool, man. And and you know this how hard it is to just get there and then obviously to move on when you're there, the whole thing. And that's why talking to Dave will be great today. But it's just amazing, man. For the for most teams, the road ends somewhere right and so to get to Williamsport is such an accomplishment. And there's just the team aspect. I think in literally gravity is one of my favorite things because the chemistry of a team, the rallying resilience of a team matters. You know, their ability to weather storms. Right. I was watching Wisconsin, Iowa, and you see the flipping back and forth of the momentum and you know this, but at that age, right, you know, the pressure builds on these little guys and you can see that momentum swing and sometimes even a three run lead after a couple of walks, and you can feel that build right where it's like there's just these back and force that you just feel when you're watching Little leaguers. Man, that's so cool, and in their resilience and their toughness, and I love it, man, They're learning so much, and the swagger that some of them bring and the confidence, I just I love watching all of it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite two weeks of the years being able to watch the Little League World Series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. The personalities of the kids is phenomenal and it is really hard. I don't think a lot of people when they just tune in, because there's a lot of people who just tune in for the Little League World Series. We try to explain to them the challenges that it takes to get there. You've got to win your district tournament. Then you've got to go win a state tournament. Then you've got to go win a regional tournament, and then you get a chance to be one of the ten United States teams you know in Williamsport, ten teams from the international bracket that involves kids from all over the world. I mean it is a true world series, which makes it, you know, and then equally unique. So again, jointhparentgout dot com today, that's where you go, and let's invite our guy in here. One of my favorites. He worked with us too, following his two trips to Williamsport representing Cumberland Rhode Island, the head coach of these little league teams in twenty eleven and twenty fourteen. Right, da, if you were there in fourteen, were you there the money? Davis Year, Yes, yes, I was. You were there?
Speaker 3: You really well? Yeah, that's that. Hell, that's a great story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great story. Hey, thanks for doing this. This is right in your wheelhouse for those that look a little background on day. If he did coach to Cumberland RhE Island teams to Williamsport in eleven and fourteen, nearly impossible to get there once, as Justin just said, let alone get there twice, Dad, as I was a Hockey Hall of Fame coach in the state of Rhode Island. So coaching runs through your blood. Let me ask you this, Did it start the coaching thing because the playing wasn't really an option? Or did you always want to be a coach?
Speaker 3: You know, that's a that's a great question. I think when ended up happening for me.
Speaker 4: Anyways, I got involved with Little League baseball right away. My my younger brothers thirteen years younger than I was coach my first little league team when I was nineteen years old on my own.
Speaker 3: So it was the town of Manville. Yeah, that's so much.
Speaker 4: And Manville, I think Manville represents really the essence of Little League baseball. It's an old French Canadian town. We only had maybe fifteen sixteen kids who you know, who tried out for the team, But it was a town of kids who knew each other, play with each other. They knew the coach very well because they see him at chirst, they saw him at school, they saw them in the streets. So that made me get involved with coaching because it was my town. I wanted to coach my town. I think that's what brought me into Little League Baseball. As far as getting into extra I worked with my dad for forty years. I played hockey at the Province College for lou Lamarello and I was cut my junior year in college and my dad asked me to go coach with him at the high school level. So in my junior year in college, I was coaching high school hockey with my dad. And forty years later, you know, the the record speaks for themselves, but the message was always about team unity. You know, commitment, the respect of the game, the integrity of the game, and those are those are what I see. And that's why I love Little League Baseball is because that's what Little League Baseball tries to promote. And I've been there two times. I continue to go because I want. I want to see the purity of Little League Baseball kids playing for the right reasons. I mean, you guys know there were so many people, especially what you guys are doing now and promoting, people take advantage of kids and do it for their own interests and make some money.
Speaker 3: And that's not.
Speaker 4: What Little League Baseball is about. That's why I gravitate to it. I love it because it speaks volume of character and respect.
Speaker 2: So cool, Dave, I love the insight on that. Can you just share So you obviously take this group, this group, So let's go back to your years where you guys made it. How long did you have with each of those teams? When did it start? How did you build those teams? What were the practices like? Tell us how you kind of built the culture in the chemistry of the teams. Because you and I and Ravi, we all know that you have to have this incredible team resilience to make it to William's part. Can you just share a little bit of that coaching insight on some of the things that you did along the way to build that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was very fortunate to move into a town of Coumland that was rich with Cumeland tradition, and the previous year when I in twenty eleven, they had done some wonderful things. They didn't get to the state level, but all I just knew by the organization.
Speaker 3: And the town that I moved and now Manville to me was evident to me that's where I started coaching.
Speaker 4: So when I got to Cumberland, I knew this was the place to grow to bring up my children, my wife and I and I wanted to get.
Speaker 3: Involved in Little League Baseball.
Speaker 4: And when I did, I was so impressed by the commitment of the volunteers, the people who are organizing, and we don't talk enough about that, organizing, putting the schedules together, getting us playing fields, you know, getting bats, balls, gloves, whatever these kids need. It's such a community spirit and that's what drove me to coach. So when I took over an all star team and for twenty eleven, I had coached the eleven.
Speaker 3: The previous year and now was my twelve year old year.
Speaker 4: I knew that I had a bunch of kids that knew each other very well. Okay, they knew that they went they went to school together, they they went recess together, they summers together.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to polay that.
Speaker 4: And so when we went on the field, okay, we we talked and we motivated. It was baseball, and we did two two days, you know, a lot of for most of the summer. There wasn't one day we missed. But we committed to the field. But I always made it a point that what we learned on that field and what we did on that field and in practice and in the games, we were gonna we were gonna, you.
Speaker 3: Know, or go over it.
Speaker 4: And then once we left the field, we were gonna go out, we were gonna go play, play with our friends, be together, let's do some things together, because we wanted to separate, you know, the baseball with with you know, what we were doing recreationally, but in essence they intertwined, you know, because that makes that makes for a team, you know. And I always stressed, you know, and I always stressed to the parents when I first started, I said, your son may be playing six ends, your son may play one ending. He says, you have to be able to commit to that. I'm not gonna. I'm gonna make decisions that's probably gonna upset you. But I'm telling you now, I said, the only reason you'll come to me if you know your boy is sick and you know he can't play today, but you will not have any input in what playing time your son will be playing or or girl for some of the coaches, because it's it's it's not your determination, it's ours. It's the coaching staff. We see them every day and we're not trying to be you know, nice coaches, just so that, you know, it's it's this is not recreational baseball anymore. It says, this is all star baseball. We're here to commit, We're here to we're going to strive to do our best. We're going to strive to win. But if we don't win, that's okay. We've given on our best. You've committed to each other. And so that was the message I sent early in twenty eleven. I followed it up in twenty fourteen, and it brought great unity the team that my best players, okay, wasn't singled out. Okay, my twelve player was just as important, even though he might have played one inning, he was just as important as that number one player. Because without that twelve player, okay, who's committed himself, who's staying positive for the one inning or the two or the one on bad that he has, is just as important as that player who had three at bats, got two hits, might have slugged a home run, whatever it may be. Without that twelve player, okay, we don't. We don't succeed. So, you know, it's it's like my father told. My father was a drill sogeant in the army, and one thing he always talked to his players about, you know, we don't leave anyone behind, and he did that with his high school teams. A record speaks for himself. I learnt that, and they're all important and there's nobody that's extra special than anybody else. So I think bringing in the town spirit, the community spirit, but sticking to your coaching's philosophy without letting too many people get a bite of the apple.
Speaker 3: You know, it's let the coaches coach, let the players play.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great, that's great, it's funny. You know. You brought that up. And I've dealt with a lot of major leaguers, coach, and one of the mantras of major leaguers is the bus waits for no one, meaning if you're not on time, the bus is going to leave. And yet your dad his motto was no man left behind. So I guess it's sort of a combo of both. You better be there for the bus because we're not waiting, but we all get on the bus at the same time and we go together. I just I found that interesting because I heard the one from a major leaguer and I kind of got it. But I wasn't ready to leave my guy behind me. We don't do that, And on the other hand, you got to be punctual. We do have some questions here, a couple from Maverick. We're going to get to them because one involves the speech that you made after losing in twenty fourteen, and I'd rather do that a little bit later on. There is a great question here from Ryan Mitchell, coach. He said, you coached two completely completely different sports at a high level for most of your career. What did hockey teach you about baseball? And what did baseball teach you about hockey?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you there is that's a great question. First of all, I was a very intense coach in hockey. I mean hockey, you can win games by physicality, by intensity.
Speaker 4: It's a louder game. It's what you're not isolated. It's a team's team sport. So I was much more intense at the hockey level, and it had to be because they were older, you know, and you could push them more and you can demand more. But what I found with little league is you're going to be a little more patient. Okay, You're still going to be disciplined. And the only time I would ever raise my voice is to get their attention as a group. Never raise your voice to a child or a little league player, isolating him.
Speaker 3: It's the worst.
Speaker 4: The worst feeling I ever had was you know during recreation where a parent is screaming at their own son.
Speaker 3: You know, when you keep crye on the ball. Oh, talk about isolation, you know.
Speaker 4: So one of the things I learned was that you have to differentiate from the age. The sport is totally different, and I learned I learned from that from from from nineteen year olds cocon little league to twenty one year olds jumping.
Speaker 3: Into high school hockey.
Speaker 4: So it's it's a different game and you have you have to teach it with the same values that you would teach each other.
Speaker 3: But it's a different age, so it's it's important to I like it.
Speaker 1: I like the teddy bear day belile, I like to wrap your arms around me. I like the rigid discipline. I like the teddy bear guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, that wasn't always a teddy bear. It was if any of my boys are listening now, in little league baseball, I wasn't a teddy I wasn't exactly it. I was a teddy bear after because I loved them so much after we you know, and we'll.
Speaker 3: Get to that speech.
Speaker 4: But you know, you you have to you have to, you have to push them too, but you can't push them to a point where they're they're isolated and they feel like they're inferior. It's it's whenever I singleed out anyone on the on the baseball field, it was.
Speaker 3: A learning moment. It was never his that his or her his moment. It was everyone to learn from that.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Great yeah, and Dave, I want to talk a little about that because you're really getting into the mental side of baseball in the challenges and you talk about hockey and the intensity, right, it's it's flow, it's go, it's sometimes it's just will on the on the ice right around the net especially, it's just attacking the puck in its physicality and its go go and it's intense. Right. There's a finesse and skill part of it, for sure, but then you flip to the baseball side where it takes complete control mentally, you know, you can't you can't play baseball at a level like a middle linebacker or you know, on the ice, and you kind of just touched on that. What what did you learn in that process, Dave, of coaching the two different sports and trying to get the players to play with a good amount of intensity, but not ride that too high to where it starts to affect performance, makes you play a little too fast, makes the brain speed up a little bit too much. How did you do that? How did you see that through, Dave and bring that back to where kids could just go play loose and not have that over extended intensity.
Speaker 4: Well, and the hockey part of it, of you know, it was my dad and I work so well together, you know, and we fed off each other during his early years. You know, I was the person the kid, the person that the kids would come to and talk to because they didn't want to go to the coach because you know, it's.
Speaker 3: His way of the high his way of the highway. So you know, and that's what I did. It really is. I mean, they would come and talk to me, says you know, what did I What did I do?
Speaker 5: On?
Speaker 4: All they can hear is the loudness of it. But you know they'll they'll come to me.
Speaker 3: So you need it.
Speaker 4: You need you need a coaching staff that understands where we're going with this. You know, what I mean, we need, we need the discipline and we also need that you know, that that compassion to be able to lift them back up when they're down and get them, get them back, get them back on the on the ice. And it's a little different in and I think in Little league baseball you're going to do it right from the get go. I think you've got to be a little more patient and a little more compassionate right from the get go. I think with the with the high school sports, and it's obviously especially college is a you already know what the criteria is and if you want to if you want you want to make that criteria, you're gonna work. And if you don't want to work, you know what, you know, drop a line, take your years, you off, Okay, somebody else take his place, so they know the criteria.
Speaker 3: You know, you're gonna be a little more patient.
Speaker 4: And when you're dealing with young young eleven and twelve twelve year olds, because you know what, you know, one one sour moment, you could lose them for the for the whole summer, you know me, because it's that you know, it's that you know they just can't handle that any type of negativity. You know, there's a way to you know, to correct someone without being so negative. You could take a correction and put it in a positive spin right away, you know what I mean, right right away, so that they don't feel it's about those kids. You don't feel bad or what you what you did while in the high school level. You better feel bad what you did because you're gonna you know, you better get back on the horse and get it on quickly. So there's there's the difference the age again. You know, you can be a little more stern, but you got you're gotta be patient with they get go from the younger kids.
Speaker 2: Yep, makes total sense.
Speaker 1: That makes which makes great sense, it does. I got so we get a lot of questions, which is great. I'm just curious you get there in eleven and then you don't get there ntil fourteen. Did you coach again in twelve and thirteen? And what happened those years? And if you did, you know, how did you deal with not getting the Williams Port? Like the bar has been raised so high?
Speaker 3: Well, I got four boys and they're all three years apart.
Speaker 4: So there you go. So basically in twenty eleven, I I lost in the state championship with my son Brian and uh in two thousand and and uh in eight.
Speaker 3: So you know, we I was, I almost went. I almost went three times, but we got beat by a better team. So that's true. These three years different. So but I did. I did coach.
Speaker 4: You know, I coached recreational, I coached the tens, I coached the elevens, and then I coached the twelves. I coached the tens, I coached the elevens, then I coached the twelve.
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's where I, uh, where you see me.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious about those those two years. Here's one from Danny coach. She said, from families all over the country are going to watch the Little League World Series over the next couple of weeks, which we appreciate. What do you want the people that are watching on TV to take away from what they're seeing in Williamsport.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we're all you're all going to get caught up with the stars, you know, the kids like we just mentioned, We'll get to some of these players that are going to be that you'll you'll notice them right away. But I think what what you want to what you want to captivate is is the team unity of each team, the spirit that they that they have, and watch them wats each team when someone makes a mistake, how the other players on the field pick them up, or how the coach reacts reacts to it.
Speaker 3: I think you'll see that.
Speaker 4: You'll see that Little League Baseball has given out a message to all these teams.
Speaker 3: Coming in that you know what, you guys are a team over here. And I think the coaches know that they've taught that.
Speaker 4: So you know, when you watch, you know, there's nothing better for me than than watching you know, that little you know, four foot six player battling a kid that's you know, throwing a Little League why one hundred miles an hour, and he's just grinding in there, digging in. He's not he's so fearful. So look for those moments too. You know, I think, I think we'll get captivated with the winds. You know, we'll get captivated with the stars. But to me, I look at you know, the whole picture of it and the excitement that they bring and the enthusiasm, and you'll see you'll see those stars.
Speaker 3: You'll know their stars.
Speaker 4: Because they share, they share their stardom with their players, you know what I mean, they're very humble at what do you do?
Speaker 3: That's that's what I look for.
Speaker 4: I want to look at how humble these these stars are and how they they they bring their their younger teammates or their their teammates together.
Speaker 3: I think that's what I look for.
Speaker 2: I look for that unity, good advice and they Dave, what has it been like following your Little League World Series ofppearances with the with those teams we're now years later right in this what has the connection been like long term with those teams that that you coached along the way.
Speaker 4: Well, I and first of all, I'll tell you that my sales went up about one hundred percent when I when I won.
Speaker 3: In twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: You're the coach, right, here's an order, you know, it's like like and then you know, then the ESPN asked me to come on board and I was so so and you know, delighted to do that because I was able to continue, you know, staying involved in in the UH in the All Star format, and.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's nice.
Speaker 4: To be recognized, you know, all the years that I coached forty years of hockey nobody even knows of my hockey coach say, they all know me about baseball.
Speaker 3: They all know me about baseball.
Speaker 4: That's a good thing because, uh, you know, because because the speech that I did, and we'll we'll get to it was you know, I didn't it was Mike, it was it was so since it was so sincere. Because when you when you do three months with a team and they give you everything they have and and you know what what your organization, your volunteers and did to get you up up to where you know you be able to do is such a privilege as a coach.
Speaker 3: And to me.
Speaker 4: Just being part of that community and what they and what we did. And now going forward, I still have people recognize me, but they recognized me for for the goodness of of of the game and what you know. That's that's what it's. That's what the Little League Baseball did for me.
Speaker 3: It just it brought me.
Speaker 4: It made me a better person, you know, and it's it's something I carry with me my whole life. And I've I've mature up to a certain point where you know, uh, you know, everybody is important, you know, just not the people.
Speaker 3: Who are on the field. It's it's everyone's important.
Speaker 4: So when I when I meet people that volunteer, whether he's you know, you know up there behind seven popcorn to someone who's you know, umpiring the game is so much respect for the umpires is because of the experience that I had, and I'm so glad I had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lessons are the lessons are just so numerous and so valuable. There's a million of them. We're going to get to the speech in a second before we do, just a reminder those of you who are looking for things to do, whether it's a Major League Baseball game, whether it's a concert, seat Geek is the place to do it. They of course, have served over thirty five million downloads over the course of the year. There's seventy thousand events that are listed on seat Geek. Baseball not far from the NFL which is just about set to start. So seat geek is your place to go. And of course those of us here on dirt from the dug out and the parent dugout. I wanted to get involved by offering you guys to territory ten forget you ten percent off MLB tickets on seat Geek. Use Territory ten that's the code for ten percent off MLB tickets on s G And one more time, a big shout out to Seat Geek for being a sponsor of Dirt from the Dugout as well as all the other programs on the Foul Territory Network. Let's bring day back in here. We've alluded to it a few times. We do have the question that involves the speech did we loose? Where Dave?
Speaker 3: Where is he? Where? Did Dave there? He is?
Speaker 1: I am you would? Answered my seat geek guy.
Speaker 3: What the heck? No, I have to plug in. You're gonna lose me. We need power? Are you? Are you plugged in?
Speaker 1: Are you good?
Speaker 3: Now? I am so plugged in? I am good?
Speaker 1: All right, he plugged in. Here's the question from Maverick. All right, so we do the broadcast. You guys lose eight seven and twenty fourteen. I assume, as he says, you didn't know the microphone was on you. You got the whole team out there in the outfield. It became a very viral speech. You may be as well known for that speech as you are for winning or getting to Williamsports. But what were you actually attempting to get those kids? You know to hear and then the next morning you find out it went viral. When you understood the scale of what happened and what you said and how it was received, share the whole experience from beginning to end, and where that speech ranks is sort of one of your life memories and milestones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like you just you know, reiterated, I didn't know the mic was on, but just give I'll give you a backdrop of what what pceded that you know I was mentioning before how important it is that after every practice and every game to go over you know, the lessons of the game. So every practice we would meet out in right field and we would gather as a group, and after every game we recapture what we did and what we can do better. And then we you know, put our hands in and said, le's go home and let's enjoy ourselves.
Speaker 3: So that that happened.
Speaker 4: That happens all the time with me, whether it's a practice or a game. But in this particular instincce, what people don't realize Kyle does is that the previous day, it was a day after we.
Speaker 3: Had beaten Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Uh, the Little League Baseball surprised me and they they flew my wife out, who was battling cancer and very very badly, but somehow she was the strength for me basically going through all this, you know, and she had she didn't want to be the center stage, you know, she just wanted to be the backdrop.
Speaker 3: She didn't want her story told. She wanted those kids story told.
Speaker 4: But Little League Baseball had found out about it, and they they flew her in and the night before the game, she had flown her in. That morning and Johnny, my son, and I went out to we thought was going to be an ESPN interview in the growth of when we when we went there early in the morning, Uh, this she was so it was it was breathtaking. Uh the excitement that john and I but little no, little bennst to us. Right behind us were all the players and the coaches that they knew. But we we didn't know that Nancy was going to show up that day. So we I was able to spend the day the day with her before the game, uh, and Johnny two. And then the game happens, and uh it was an incredible game.
Speaker 3: We had lost, you know, eight to seven to.
Speaker 4: The eventual UH American lea Uh, the American side champions.
Speaker 3: It was just right to the very end, and we battled back.
Speaker 4: They battled back, came to the last out, and they even when the last I went to a review. You know, it wasn't going to make break or break it. It was actually a close play at first. After the review, I said, okay, you know, I took my team to you know, to right field, and you know, it's it's time to recapture, and it's it's time to be basically, you know, to say goodbye. But I again, uh, and support for all coaches, there was there was no way it.
Speaker 3: Was gonna let my kids not know how much I loved them and how proud I was of their effort.
Speaker 4: And that's when I said, and look at the score, you know, look at the hits.
Speaker 3: Uh, and you know, just reiterating.
Speaker 4: The fact that there's only one team that's gonna make it's gonna be champion and all of this. But at the same time, and then they were terry, and I held it, held in it. But I was also saying goodbye basically to my wife too, because I know that she was very very very very sick.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I and I appreciated what all the parents of that community had had done for us as a family and let us, let us live a normal life knowing what we were going through. And you know, the effort that my team put forth. I even get terry thinking about it now. So yeah, that was that was from the heart, all heart, and uh, it's it's it's a speech that the next day, I know Cole mentioned it. I didn't even know. So the next day they come around into the dorms and they're.
Speaker 3: All all all all twelve of coutch. You went viral.
Speaker 4: I am not computer computer literate, so I I thought I had a disease or something. What do you mean I went viral? He says, you're you're all over the internet. You know, you're getting hits all over the place. And then they showed me, you know the speech that I was always said, Oh my god, I said, uh, you know that's you know, that's that's what that's that's wonderful. And I think back as a thought, I did say the right things that my god, you know, and yeah, so that's that's that speech is uh is hotfelt and it's real and uh and it's real. And the fact that I can now give a message of of of what I went through and how it's it's important to put things in perspective that they've still children, there's still there's still innocent and just demand their effort. Yes, but you know what it's it really wasn't about the winning. It was that, you know, the character that they built along the way, and it made a town very proud of themselves.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to to share this. I had never heard that speech before we were gonna before we were gonna have you on, and just just today, just this morning, in preparation, I listened to it and and actually just got the words. It's pretty remarkable from from Afar that you were able to put the words together that you did that that really like clicked. There was no rehearsal in it. It was just like you said, from your heart. I think that's why people are so drawn to it, because it feels the opposite of scripted, you know, and we live in a world where when the mics are on, you feel like you're maybe not not always sure how authentic something is. Right. I want to just read a line though, man that really really stuck with me. But he said, you're going to take this the rest of your life. What you provided a town of Cumberland. You had the whole place jumping, right, you had the whole state jumping, You had New England jumping, you had ESPN jumping. Okay, Because you want to know why they like fighters? That me, man was so powerful? How where did you come up with that? Like tell us tell us and obviously knowing the personal side of it and the connection with your wife, obviously there's a fight there and then you're drawn into their fight and what they're bringing and you're in this fight all around. You're in a life fight and you're in a fight on the field. Take me through that, Dave, What where did you come up with those words?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Because they are so powerful?
Speaker 4: They are very I was so fortunate to have a father who is my icon and the greatest, the greatest coach I've I've ever seen of high school high school kids and uh a fighter.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, my dad in nineteen eighty three fractured his skull. He should have died. He fell on the ice in an accident and took him two years to rehabilitate. We almost lost my dad, But in those two years I grew up as a coach. And I, you know, before I just opened the door and you.
Speaker 3: Know, let the kids out, let my dad do all the coaching.
Speaker 4: But when I when I when my dad went down and I had to pick up the slack, I realized, oh my god, these are these are kids, these are these are.
Speaker 3: Not They're not just out here to win. I've got to I've got to pick.
Speaker 4: Them up when they're when they're down, I've got to. I've got to keep them even keel when they're too high.
Speaker 3: You know, we got to. I got to try to keep you know, kids together. Kids. You know, kids want more playing more playing time.
Speaker 4: But you know, I got to teach we got to fight together, you know, and use the coach at the example, he's fighting, I I'm fighting.
Speaker 3: And then and then I brought that I practiced what I preach.
Speaker 4: I always demanded effort, and I always demanded, you know, that the team play together. Nobody's better than any but anybody else. But my was my wife that taught me what fight was. Because you know, the day, the day that they were going to choose the coach for the All Stars, they all assumed I was going to get it, and they they offered it to me, but I said, no, my wife is sick.
Speaker 3: I can't do it this year. You know.
Speaker 4: But when I went home, you know, John who's was selected on the team, told his mom she was upstairs in the bedroom, and that he made the team and the dad's not going to coach this year. And my wife screamed up and I went up there and she said, and she basically grabbed me by the throat, and she said, don't you do this. Don't you do this. You know, to us, he says they need you, and she pointed at him, he needs you. We need to have the best summer ever. I do not want to be the person that everybody is thinking that you didn't coach. You are going to coach his team? It says, we're going to have the best summer ever. And and we did and that was because of my wife. So there's where there's where the fight comes from. You know, you get your rocky moments. Well I had mine twofold, almost lost my dad and in death, I did lose my wife.
Speaker 3: But she sent me. She gave me a gift to keep fighting, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's an amazing story. Thanks very much for sharing that. So we're going to get to the kitchen sink in a moment. But one one, one memory that I have of covering Cumberland beyond the speech, which is we watched unfold. I'm sitting up there in the catbird seat listening to all this. The other part of what Rhode Island and those teams represented to me was something you alluded to, which was your twelve man's got to be as good as your you know, your two stars that you have, et cetera. They had a kid on the team whose last name was Ta and I just remember, you know, Dave the coach would sit there and Tebow didn't play a lot, but Tebow came up with really important plays in that Little League World Series, and it became a thing where it was like, it's t bow time. You know, it's t bow time. You talk about a way of ingratiating one of the boys that doesn't play all the time. But more significantly, it reminds every other kid on the team like we're nowhere without tebow time. And I'm sure as we watch the Little League World Series this year, we'll see who those players are on the teams. And Cheezy Root like hell for them to produce when they get that opportunity, and he did, and that I'll be honest with you, the Dave as much as you guys getting there twice and the speech. It was your emphasis on Tebow being a big part of the success of that team. We recall the experience of making sure his eleven brother loved him as much, realized how important he was and what it did for him and his growth. You know, as a twelve year old share that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, t BO time did then if you looked at the boy, you know, he's a big he's a big kid. He had glasses, he didn't, he didn't. He's not your profile literal league, you know, elite, elite player and you know, and trade and he worked. He was a he was a worker. He come in relief when and you know what, and I don't even know if he got a hit in the regionals to take to tell you the truth, but it didn't matter. We always had a positive attitude, you know, he never he never complained. He just wanted to be positive. He was so happy to make the team, you know. And so when it came to the little Equals series, and I don't know if you remember the moment, Kyle, But there was there was game against Tennessee. We had just you know, and the last the top of the sixth then and we had a seven of I think it was seven or four lead or and maybe it was even like six six. We had a three run lead and Tennessee, Tennessee took a took a two run lead on.
Speaker 3: Us, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And when I when they were coming off the field and I had them right before the dugout, I was really you know, upset that they weren't giving my picture, you know that, you know that support. They were all nervous, they weren't talking, you know, they just let them out there the dry and this kid kept pitching. He didn't cry, he didn't complain, he didn't look at me in the dugout, and the balls were.
Speaker 3: Just flying everywhere home run here.
Speaker 4: So I had to, you know what, I had to come get get the ball from the kid.
Speaker 3: And I said, you know what, you know, I am so proud of you.
Speaker 4: It says for sticking out here, not complaining and just doing what you do. And you did a great job for me. I said, don't you worry. I says, we're gonna get this back, don't you worry. So when I came into the dugout, I was infuriated. So I was going, are you gonna let them do that to your picture? Are you gonna let them do that to the picture? And in the background, I can see this one kid and it's Teebaw and he's going, no coach, no coach, no coach.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could just see him. I'm saying, he is so ain and why don't you know it?
Speaker 4: He's the first foot office and I look, he looks at me, and I go, you ready, you're ready tvall he says, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 5: He gets in there and he banks while I'm talking, a rocket up the middle, slapping, slapping his hands, you know, and and and that just buy it up the whole team.
Speaker 3: The next kid gotta hit, the next kid gotta hit.
Speaker 4: And next what did you know? And we came back and won the game on a walk off. And yes, it was my twelfth guy that that did it.
Speaker 3: That did it for us.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it, man. They I appreciate that story. It's such a great, great uh you know, when we look at the the so many lessons, the great lessons in the game, right it's on a true team. Everybody is critical, everyone plays a role, and that's one of the things about the Lily World Series that I love just Litle League in general. But I do want to get to this question here that Royce has, and this is this is for Ravi actually, but Royce asked Raby Ravich, you're the voice of the Lily League World Series. What does that place mean you personally? And how has that change? How has your relationship changed with this event over the last two decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say when I first got there, I was I was calling international games. Brent Musberger was there doing the Little League World Series, So I always knew that it was a significant event in the country. And you know, at that age, especially in the beginning, it was let's make sure we get it all right, let's get the names right, let's not screw it up. And over time, as I got old er, as my boys got old there, as I got exposed to other kids playing this sport, and you see the exposure to international kids. You see the ability of baseball being a sort of a universal language that even though you might not be able to speak the language that the other countries are speaking, you spoke baseball, so I was really into what that place has come to mean to me and change my relationship with it. I love. I'm like Dave, I truly love the aspects of the Little League World Series as much as I do the games the outcome. There's no skin in it. I don't care who wins. I just want to I want to see kids doing their best. I want to see teams and their chemistry. I want to see the dynamics between coaches and players. I want to see fathers and sons and how they interact with each other. There are a myriad of lessons that the Little League World Series and Little League Baseball teaches us every single day. So every boy or girl that's into the batter's box, I'm literally looking at their face. I'm trying to see and sense like what are they feeling, what are they emoting, how are they handling this? What kind of support are they getting? So all of those things that are like intangible to baseball, and in particular Little League Baseball, where these these kids are still in that position where you can mold them. And to the credit of a guy like Dave and so many others like I never for a second take for granted the efforts that go into being a coach on one of these teams and the sacrifices. You know, Dave talked about his sales going up because the team won. Well, there have been a hundred stories of coaches that risk losing jobs because they committed to this for a summer and they had to take time off from whatever it was they're doing, and then thankfully you find out that the community is stepped up or somebody has volunteered to take their place. So it's those stories that really impact me more than the Lewis Lappie walk off homer or as somebody else asks, you know how great Luke Ramirez was for Tu La Vista, Like the stars are the stars, They're gonna shine, everyone's gonna know it. It's all the other things behind the scenes and for the teams, and watching a team from where Island interact with a team from Japan like that doesn't happen. And there's a lot of events that call themselves worldwide. The Little League World Series is a is a true world series. It matches teams from the US and all over the world, and other than the Olympics, it's very rare that you have something like that in one place. And lastly, the place is the most special place on the planet when you go there and you see these two fields and you understand the relationship between the community and baseball. And then the country who get a chance for a week and a half every night to watch twelve year olds relive their own youth, share a moment with a son, a grandson, a granddaughter, because you know, they're not always into the pitches, they're into the stories that they can tell their own families about. I remember when I played Little League baseball. I remember John Deny was my best friend and I struck him out. Like those things you know they're going on behind the scenes. Those are the things that I love most about the Little League World Series and Little League Baseball.
Speaker 2: So powerful man, so powerful, Dave. I'd love your take on that, and just you know, being able to look back now and Ravy obviously he's in it every year, but being able to look back on it Nowadave, for you, and just what that signifies for you in your life and what that time meant.
Speaker 4: Ah, It's the most special time of my life. Just basically, I never grow up. I was able to continue being a kid, and I'm still a kid. You know, when you when you look at little league baseball, just like Kyle said, you go back to who you who you play with, who you coached, you know, all the memories that you have, and you apply it to what you're watching and you appreciate it more rather than just looking from you know, I was so fortunate to be able to be there and and and be involved in the league baseball while someone else is watching who has never been involved in the Hey, they love the product. But you know, Colin and I we just we just absolutely adore the product because we've we've.
Speaker 3: Experienced it and there are so many, so many memories that are a lot.
Speaker 4: Hey, we every well, I don't care if it's Christmas, birthdays and my kids are still ugly?
Speaker 3: Whose team is better?
Speaker 4: And you know, you know or you know, you know, just talking about the remember this, remember when he did this? And you know, even my my childhood friends who I have three friends that played in my little league team but still best friend's best friend.
Speaker 3: Today, we talk littally, we talk.
Speaker 4: About our experience, you know, and it's it's not always.
Speaker 3: What happened on the baseball field either. So it was you know what we do. You know that's a better no.
Speaker 1: All right, just let's get to the kitchen sink, Dave. We got four quick questions here. You can give quick answers on it, but it's sort of outside the periphery sometimes of baseball per se. But the first one is best advice that any coach ever gave you. It is the kitchen sink, best advice a coach ever gave you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember, every kid counts.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, understood. It's perfect for a little league coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome, Dave. I want to I want to just touch on that really quick. We're going to go to the next question here. But best advice coach ever gave you. You know, it's you know, everyone matters, obviously, everyone counts. When you're coaching a team and you have the superstars, uh, and I a want to be quick on this. I just want to follow up really quick. When you have the superstars and you have the other guys that you you know, t bow the t bows of your team, can you just share from a life perspective on how grabbing and being intentional about building relationships with maybe people outside of your circle is so important and how baseball builds that too.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I teach it to my my kids, my kids every day, you know, just because somebody is as less fortunate in our but maybe it's not your cup of tea. You know, give them a chance. You might find out what what the real person is on the on the inside. I think that's the advice. You know, what you see in the outside is not always what's necessary on the inside. People, people again need to need to be given a chance.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 4: We all make mistakes too, and it's I think it's I think you got to learn how to forgive. And obviously you got to learn how to sacrifice first before you can forgive, because how can you forgive if you're not sacrificing yourself. So I think you learn a lot about yourself by learning that other people do count, you know, and have you given everything that you're supposed to give before you.
Speaker 3: Make the comment or make it or make the judgment. So that's my answer to that.
Speaker 2: Man, Awesome, I love it, Dave. We'll get to the next question. Sorry to get along on that one. How did Williamsport change your life? Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely for the better, you know it. I never thought that that the message that I was taught and I lived was going to be proclaimed throughout all of Little Little League Baseball. And I'm so I'm so proud of that. You know what, It's not about me. It was about what they were they were teaching, and I was able. I was able to, you know, give give a speech that resonated.
Speaker 3: But it's it's it's all there. I mean, we all have it in us.
Speaker 4: I just I just had the opportunity, a lot of opportunity of people behind me and people.
Speaker 3: In me to be able to send a message like that.
Speaker 1: Just quickly to follow up on that, did you did it a to you? Like how crazy it was that you've got two teams to Williamsport, Pennsylvania and the Little League World Series? Like the accomplishment. Have you had that moment of like, how in the world did that happen?
Speaker 3: Ah? You know what I have, Kyle. You know, I'm so competitive and I love the game so much. I just like my dad.
Speaker 4: Instead, it's the next practice, you know, let's go. It's kind of like, you know, that's why you won twenty six in a row. Okay, next year, let's start all let's go.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not about last year, it's about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think, yeah, I'm very proud of of what my kids accomplished. I am very proud of what I accomplished. But I know, I know that it's it's it was. It wasn't about me. That's the best, best part. It's about us and we'll.
Speaker 3: Be friends, friends forever. That's a good part.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I love that last one. Next one here, Uh, this is this could go hockey, football, baseball. What's your favorite sports movie and why?
Speaker 3: Uh, it would have to be Rocky.
Speaker 4: I know it wasn't real, but I love Rocky because he was the underdog and uh, you know, he didn't win Rocky one.
Speaker 3: He didn't win, you know, and he was you know he and along the.
Speaker 4: Way he was udged because he was, you know, a sloppy boxer or he didn't have you know then that what they thought the necessities to be a champion, and he'd be the guy that was you know, first class and show boat. And I mean the movie was was spectacular, so I can relate to Rocky. I love Rocky and Miracle too, you know, either Miracle or Rocky.
Speaker 1: To men, we're gonna get a mention of miracle.
Speaker 2: I figured that, Hey, David, he can't tell us Rocky in general, which Rocky is your favorite?
Speaker 3: Rocky one, Rocky my favorite?
Speaker 4: Well I know, I just it was only Rocky too, because when when Adrian says that she's about to you know, you know, finally she gives birth, and she brings him close and say, I just have one thing to say, Well, Win, do you see just merried it?
Speaker 2: Go?
Speaker 3: What are we waiting for? To me? Best moment they went outside, I started running.
Speaker 1: I just went, I'm going, I'm running, crack cracks some eggs and she just started drinking them wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's it. Just says, what are we waiting for?
Speaker 4: And she said when oh my god, let's go and then the slow then the song comes on and you throw your sweatpants on and you're out that door.
Speaker 2: That's so good man. The last question here and then we'll get to the m v P and wrap up. But the greatest lesson one of your players has taught you.
Speaker 3: Greatest lessons. Uh, that's that's a tough that's that's a tough one.
Speaker 4: But I would I don't know, I would have I would have to say, you know, t bows Tbo's one of them. It's it's about, you know, someone who didn't get a chance or wasn't a star and comes, you know, and comes through it. If there was a greater moment than somebody who you never thought we could do it, could do it on the biggest stage and.
Speaker 3: In probably the world.
Speaker 4: To me, it taught me that you know I'm doing I'm doing the right thing, because you know.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought it was going to be the bubble blowing sort of what you gleaned from everybody recognizing the bubble blowing when you're getting your ass kicked.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you something that was my son, James, I'll tell you something about there.
Speaker 3: There was a moment right there.
Speaker 4: So I again didn't know that my son was blowing bubbles against California my first time I show up at the If I would have known my son was blowing bubbles in the middle of the game, Okay, I think everyone will have a different perspective of me as a father, as a coach because that moment, my whole career could have tearned for the worst. But I'm telling you, James, if he's watching, as he knows, if I were to pop that bubble right in his face. But anyways, that's that's behindside the point. So we get to the dorm. I don't know whether he was born, but my mother calls me right away after the game. She goes, oh my god, what a game that was, Mom.
Speaker 3: We got be ten to one. No, no, James was spectacular. He should fuck out. What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: He was on TV for least ten minutes blowing his bubbles.
Speaker 3: I'm going, what is going on? I look at it.
Speaker 4: The next thing you know, Bazooka is coming in calling on. We got ESPN said we're gonna do an interview here. I am my first My first shot in the Little League was series and I'm doing Bubblegum commercials.
Speaker 3: Do you think I was.
Speaker 1: Perspective?
Speaker 3: Baby?
Speaker 4: That put things in perspective? I said, all right, I get it. I get it now.
Speaker 3: I get what I'm here for. You know what this, this more than is winning for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, listen, you've been You've been very forthcoming about all your personal life issues with your dad, your wife. We ask every guest on our show this question before we say goodbye, and it's it's who's the MVP. Over the course of your life. And that's not a most valuable player, it's who's been the most valuable person in Dave Belile's life.
Speaker 3: My father, for sure, no questions asked.
Speaker 1: For sure, all the reasons you shared earlier with us.
Speaker 4: My dad, he was a great father and he was He was married to my mom for over sixty five years.
Speaker 3: He brought up four children.
Speaker 4: You know, he never he never missed a dana's life at work or a practice, never was sick. He was sick, but he never missed. And he showed me and my three brothers the right way to raise a family, the right way to act, and with the spirit of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: He taught us too. So it's my dad, no question to ask, perfectly cool.
Speaker 1: Well, look I knew justin. I knew he was going to be great. I think he exceeded my expectations in being an open book day. We appreciate you very much for sharing those stories. I know you'll be watching the Little League World Series. I'll be thinking of you when I'm there as well. I appreciate you coming out with.
Speaker 4: Us and thanks for having me, guys, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Anytime. That's stayblele of course, two time coach of the teams that went to the Little League World Series. Just a reminder we're going to take a couple of weeks off justin I will be doing some daily diaries from Williamsport and Baseball Recruiting Confidential will continue over the course of the next few weeks as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir Raby, I'm excited for the Little League World Series, man. I know it's always it's an experience for you, buddy. I'm happy that you get to go experience that again. What an honor to be able to do that. I know that from afar. Everybody is excited to see you call that, man, and you're the best at it, and you're a part of that. You don't see yourself as that, but you are. You know when people hear that voice in your voice and the lit League World Series, it's a it's a reminder of that time of year and you're a part of that, which I think is a super cool piece to the history of the Little League World Series man. And I'm excited to watch you every chance I can get, buddy. But we'll be back in early September with order from the dugout. But uh, what an exciting time, buddy. I'm excited for you, excited for you to get there and have your have your time there, buddy.
Speaker 1: Thanks partner. That means a lot. Please, everybody, continue to spread the word and join us on the parent dugout dot com where you get all the content, you get interviews like Dave Bellile and all the other ones we've had. Look forward to seeing you from the Lily League World Series. Follow us at the parent dugout dot com. We'll get you the daily diaries from Williamsport. Thanks for being with us today and thanks for all your great questions. We appreciate them.