Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, they had to name somebody their starting quarterback. Will have that. An NFL team has announced their starting quarterback for the season opener. Have that for you coming up? Come on in stay awhile final hour here each seven to seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. Good morning. If you're watching on peacock, thank you for those downloading the app. The FedEx Cup playoffs the postseason, that's tougher than ever for the PGA Tour's best. It comes down to the Tour Championship NBC Golf Channel streaming on Peacock. I do have the odds in case you're curious about how big of a favorite is Scotty Scheffler the PGA Tour Championship. He's plus one fifty second favorite Rory McElroy plus eight fifty, then Tommy Fleetwood, Ludwig Oberg, Justin Thomas Patrick, Kent, Lay, JJ Spahn, Scotti Scheffler an overwhelming favorite to win the PGA Tour Championship. Coming up this week, All right, eight seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler's sitting by. You'll take your phone calls. We've had some interesting poll questions, Seaton, would you update the pole questions? And if we have a new one, then I'll get to the NFL team that's named their starting quarterback for Week one. Speaking started talking about the Cleveland Browns with Joe Flacco that's already been announced. Sorry, Seed, whose career would you want? Joe Flacco or Philip Rivers?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: Sixty five percent of the audience say Joe Flalco. All right, anybody take Philip Rivers. I know Fritzie can't because he doesn't like Philip Rivers. Now, Todd, I.
Speaker 4: Actually in this instance would take Philip Rivers because when I think of it, when I hear the two quarterback names, I know about the Super Bowl rings, so that part's tough, but the name Philip Rivers rings a lot stronger than me as far as like top quarterbacks that have ever played the game.
Speaker 2: So Hall of Fame, you're going to be winning a super Bowl and be the Super Bowl MVP, because that's what this comes down to. Yeah, Flacco won a Super Bowl and was the MVP. Philip Rivers has a more deeper resume, a lot of stats on there, so comes down to one's going to be probably a Hall of Famer and the other one's going to just be remembered as a guy who played into his forties and won a Super Bowl in an MVP chance.
Speaker 5: Paul.
Speaker 6: It's such a weird dynamic because when Phil Rivers's name comes up for the Hall of Fame, the main thing people are going to say against it is no super Bowl appearances, not even losses like Matt Ryan. But Joe Flacco, he's not even in sniffing distance of the Hall of Fame. It'll never be brought up his Hall of Fame candidacy because he was just good for a long time. But the one super Bowl with Super Bowl MVP, it's like unimpeachable.
Speaker 2: The Colts are going to name Daniel Jones, says they're starting quarterback. This is according to Tom Pellicero of NFL Network in competition with Anthony Richardson. So Jones will get the start in Week one against Miami, and maybe he's you know, you start to get these quarterbacks who have had a second time around, a second chance or a third chance, you know, age twenty eight, maybe maybe something's, you know, something happens here where he's out of the New York City Spotlight didn't live up to the billing, had moments of greatness. But now with the Colts, maybe not that much is expected there and maybe he gets kind of a career resurgence there while they wait for Anthony Richardson to mature.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, if you go back with Daniel Jones twenty nineteen with the Giants in twelve starts, he was twenty four touchdowns at twelve picks, that's a really nice rookie year and it just never got better. But then that contract year Daniel Jones had twenty twenty two, he was nine and six of the star or fifteen touchdowns and five picks, and they decided to stick instead of bail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man. When that contract came up, and then they decided they were going to give him that money on it, that's that's bad. That's a bad, bad situation. And then all of a sudden, you can't pay Saquon Barkley and you're like, oh my goodness, this is they just compounded all of you know, these mistakes, and you know, maybe it's a Sam Darnold situation for him. Maybe he's able to go, Hey, I got a chance here, I'm with a decent team and maybe we could be a little bit better. And you're in a division where you know, maybe maybe you can sneak in get to be a playoff team or win that division. But Daniel Jones gets the call. He'll be the starting quarterback for the Colts. We talked a little bit about the game last night and a couple of takeaways. You have these guys, there's so much talent and you just want to opportunity. And you probably didn't think that a guy named Mitchell Tinsley would be the star, but he turned out to be the star for the Bengals. That was nice. He probably won't make the roster. But the thing that I took away from that game is Joe Burrow under pressure has to go down. Not by the hands of the opposition. You have to go down. You must must must live to see another play. I mean this preseason go down. Don't be a hero. There's no style points here. Just live to play another day, another game. And you know twice that you saw him get hit, and it's not like there's preseason hits and they don't hurt. They all hurt. And that was what was surprising there but there's no movement with Trey Hendrickson, no movement with Terry McLaurin. I don't know which one is closer to maybe getting done. You'll find with most negotiations like this that both sides know there's a number. The question is how close are they going to let you get to that number or how far away do we want to keep you from that number. Now you might get guaranteed money thrown in there, maybe bonuses in there. Joe Burrow did talk about the Trey Hendrickson situation after the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think historically these deals with us have gotten done closer to week one. I signed on the Thursday before the first game. Jamar's started to pick up, you know, that week before last year too, and you know we were able to get Tea and Jamar done early this year, so that was great. But I think historically the way we've done businesses, you know, that tends.
Speaker 3: To pick up here in the next two weeks. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Klank is ticking, but it's also clicking, you know, ticking for your head, coach. I mean, there's a lot of steak here. I mean, Joe Burrows you know he's fine, receivers are fine. Then all of a sudden you get your coaching staff. You got to make the playoffs, and if you don't have Trey Hendrickson, I don't think you're making the playoffs. As you know, you could have the best offense in football, but if you're going to be one of the bottom feeders when it comes to defense, you just can't live in that eight eight wins, nine wins territory. That's dangerous, dangerous footing.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul I saw a Trey Henderson talk last night to ESPN. It wasn't on camera, but he said it was the guaranteed money and the chance to extend another year. It's basically like they're saying, we like what you've done so far, but we don't trust that you're going to do it for the next three years. You're thirty years old, which isn't that old for a pass rusher. But he must be sitting there going seventeen and a half sacks, seventeen and a half sacks like not one great season, two and a bunch of other good ones.
Speaker 2: Duke and Boyse, do what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: Dan? Six one two fifteen A lot of talk about uniforms today, and I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the best throwbacks that teams still bust out. I contend that it's the Seattle Seahawks. The perfect blue jerseys, silver helmets, and pants, just perfection all the way down the line. I would say, also, somebody was bringing up the Redskins from South Dakota. That old logo, the old kind of warrior chief. That thing was incredible.
Speaker 10: It's too bad they can't still use that anyway. That's all have a good day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the Blackhawks. I think the Blackhawks, that logo, that jersey is awesome. I think it looks gorgeous. Kyle in Indiana, Hi, Kyle, what's on your mind there?
Speaker 11: First time, long time, I wasn't playing on talking about this. But also as a Washington fan, I would like to say, I think we should just embrace the Commies going forward. It's the first time in my life we haven't really had to focus on scandal or controversy, so I'd liked to actually focus on the football. But I was in your hometown Amazing yesterday for the Cincinnati Open Final to see a rematch of the French Open and Wimbledon finals between the top two players in the world, Ennick Center and Carlos Alcarez. And I don't know if you know, Center retired in the first set of the final because.
Speaker 3: He was feeling ill.
Speaker 11: May have been unrelated to the heat, but it was clear that he was not handling the heat well. Family member of mine nearly had a heat stroke all week last week during the tournament, players were collapsing to the ground, retiring for matches because of the heat. I saw medical emergencies in the crowd, and so putting aside of the logic of scheduling that final for Monday at three pm, I was wondering if you ever recall the summer heat in Mason being like different than the rest of the country. It didn't feel that humid, but it felt like the sun was right on top of us, and players seemed to struggle across the board and Mason more than anywhere else in the world. And do you think there's anything the tournament could do to prevent kind of so many heat related withdrawals going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, if you're giving coverage there overhead coverage, or you have matches that are going to be in the evening and on in the afternoon. That that heat, that humidity that you have in Cincinnati. Now I've been in Atlanta, I've been in DC, and men and don't make you cry, you walk. I remember that I had taken a shower, got dressed going to work in Atlanta. I walked down to my car and I needed to take a shower. It was that and I only walked fifty feet and I'm like, oh, you got to be kidding me. And you know, if there was an afternoon game with the Braves and you're sitting out there, oh, you had to go at night. But yeah, DC too, remember going down doing a preseason report on the Washington then Redskins. I just remember that, I don't know how you play football in that heat. And uh, Virginia, who that's heavy stuff? Aeron and fort Wayne hi erin what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call and suck at Fertzy. But just reacting to, you know, the Daniel Jones being put out there as the starter. I got to say, as a Colts fan and I went to several of the training camps, I'm very surprised by this. Daniel Jones is just like mister MOPy and his body language. It's just it's almost as if the enthusiasm escaped him immediately. Anthony richards sins only started twenty nine games since college till now. I just see like you drafted this guy. I would put him out there and say, hey, look like you got to stay healthy and or you're we're moving on from you. I'm just kind of surprised that they went with Jones, because what are you doing with Richardson? Are you moving him as he Trey Lamb now is he just going to wonder? Just surprise?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Eron.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you know these coaches, they play it safe. Now, Daniel Jones is a safer pick. Richardson can hit you some home runs, but you know he's going to strike out a lot. Here's a guy who got banged up a couple of times. Here's a guy who asked out of the lineup. I think he really needs he needs more time to understand how to be a professional. He has the talent, but there's a lot of guys with talent. You got to understand the game and learning from somebody. Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 13: DP, if you allow me, can I change my pick the most irrelevant team in the NFL. I had the Tennessee Titans. Yeah, but I'm sorry, it's the Indianapolis Colts.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 13: There's nothing to get excited about what the Indianapolis coast this season. Daniel Jones is your starter.
Speaker 2: By the way, can you remember a number one overall pick who played quarterback who's received less attention in the preseason than cam Ward Shida or Sanders who is a fifth round pick has received more publicity than every other quarterback combined in this past draft because it's clickbait. I don't know how good cam Ward has been. I haven't read too much about it. I saw him play a little bit and I went okay. I saw where he got into a skirmish with Jeffrey Simmons, a great defensive lineman. Like okay, I don't know what that means, but man, he's got some spirit, some spunk to him. He's the number one overall pick and you play quarterback and there has been very very little attention. Yes, Paulin.
Speaker 6: The Colts have had six quarterbacks since Andrew Laja Luck left. Who can name all six starting quarterbacks leading passers the past six seasons for the Innnapolis Colts.
Speaker 2: We got Philip Rivers yep, Matt Ryan yep. Who's my favorite backup quarterback? H Gardner Minshew, It's Gardner, Minshew. Joe Flacco, No, No, two toughies, Anthony Richardson last year, Carson Wentz in twenty twenty one, return of the Wentz Yeah, and the often traveled Jacoby Brissett in twenty nineteen. Stat of today it brought you by Panadia America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. We'll take a break. We'll have Chase Daniel, the former NFL quarterback, and he does a great job at breaking down game footage, and I'm sure he'll have some thoughts on these rookie quarterbacks including cam Ward and Shodoor Sanders and Jackson Dart and did the Colts make the right decision going with Daniel Jones. So we'll talk to Chase Daniel. He'll join us after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: He's Mike Krman, I'm Dan Bayern. We have a brand new Fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex. Twice a week every Tuesday and Friday, we come up with new episodes to not only look back at what happened, what you need to do at that minute, and also look ahead of what's coming up in the fantasy football world.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 8: Every week we're going to scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 14: Listen to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carmon and meet Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcast and we're you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Paulie was running down all the quarterbacks who have started for the Colts, and I mentioned Joe Flacco. He did start six games for the Colts last season, paul.
Speaker 6: I said, leading passers, but yes, he was definitely.
Speaker 2: All I thought it was starters. Okay, they had Philip Rivers, you had Matt Ryan, Jacoby Brissette, Anthony Richardson and Carson Wentz and Gardner Minshew. Yes, Okay, then now we have Daniel Jones. As you're starting quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts. Chase Daniel, co host of the Athletics Scoop City podcast and host of The Chase Daniel Show you find it on YouTube. Always one of our favorites. He makes us smarter, all right. When you look at these quarterbacks, Daniel Jones, Anthony Richardson, how do you how do you pick somebody to be your starter out of those two? Like, what what would be the deciding factor here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, look, if you're going with pure athleticism, it would be Anthony rich But I think what Shane Steiken, at least what I read and have seen, has been looking for. It's someone who can run the huddle, who can get it in and out of the huddle, who can get us into the right place at the right time, who knows how to fix protections, who knows you know when to check to a go route versus slant round. I'm not saying Anthony Richardson can't do that, but it's an all encompassing thing, and that's what quarterbacks is. It's not just hey, go out there, throw a bomb seventy yards down the field like Anthony Richardson we've seen him do, and you're completing forty something percent of your passes I think that's sort of what Shane Stiken. I think that's what Chris Ballard sort of wants. And look, Daniel Jones has some athleticism, and I appreciate that, but when you look at the whole thing, I actually love the fact that they came out and they named Daniel Jones' starter because it takes all the pressure off Anthony Richardson. Anthony Richardson, if Daniel Jones struggles, he can go in there, he can maybe provide a spark. And I like to say this a lot because I've been on the sideline a lot, right only I started five years in my career. You get a different perspective from the sideline. You're able to see what is happening in a different manner than you would be behind the center. And it's not only on the field, but it's also in the classroom as well. How does Daniel Jones prepare? How does Daniel Jones handle blitz? You do all this stuff, And I think it's a great learning experience for Anthony Richardson. I mean, the talent is undeniable, he just hasn't been able to put it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder how long we wait before we move on with quarterbacks, because it used to be you could be drafted and you might sit for two years, three years back, you know, twenty five years ago. Now it feels like, all right, we've seen two years maybe and then maybe that's enough, whether it was Mitchell Trubisky or you're looking at Trey Lance or you're looking at Zack Wilson, and we don't give you that much time anymore because there's so many other quarterbacks that you can go. Why don't we just you know, reset the clock and draft another quarterback?
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. And honestly, if you look at the twenty twenty six class come out of college, it's a really deep class that reminds me of two years ago, like with Jay and Daniels and Bonick. So I'm sure that gms have their eyes on that and they've already scouted. There's could be possibly four to five to six quarterbacks go in the first round. So I do think, you know, signing Daniel Jones, he's not going to be I don't think the future of the Indianapolis Scholts. I don't know if they're moving on yet. I know Ballard personally, I've talked to him a little bit. I think that they really want Anthony Richardson to work out, but they don't have that time because if they don't win this year, Shane Steike In, Chris Vallard, they're probably gone. So they have to figure out something. And that's something I guess is Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I kind of look at the cold sign, look at the Giants. If I'm ownership of the Giants and I still believe in Brian Dable, then I have to let him know that his job is safe because if his job is safe, then he's gonna play Jackson Dart a little bit. If his job's not safe, he's gonna play Russell Wilson. And I don't think that helps the bigger picture. But you've looked at Jackson Dart in the preseason. What do you see?
Speaker 3: He's played excellent And I'm I'm of the camp and I might be the only people, especially outside of New York Giants fans, that say I think Jackson Dart needs to play sooner rather than later. Let me break it down for you. I like Russell Wilson, future Hall of Famer. He lives right down the street from me. I'm in car drop off literally with Sierra today, dropping my kids off, like we go to school, like all that stuff. But when Jackson Dart plays, he's got something about him that brings a little bit of a spark. You watch these preseason games that he was playing in, and Brian Daboll is running a little bit of that Old Miss style offense. You see that fake fifth pitch toss like middle route by the title, that was a play they ran at Old Miss. You see this old this up tempo style offense. I'm not saying Russell Wilson can't do this. Jackson Dart's a better athlete right now in his career than Russell Wilson. But if you are Brian day Ball and you are Joe Shane, if you don't play Jackson Dart and you don't make the playoffs and you ride with Russell Wilson, your jobs are gone in my opinion, Like I don't think you make it through. Whereas you play Jackson Dart early, and it's a brutal stretch, six of their first eight games are against playoff teams. It's the hardest schedule in the NFL. If you play Jackson Dart early, though, and you get seven eight wins and you show some hope down the stretch, you're going to keep your job. I think that's how they need to proceed with this. Now. I get it, you don't want to throw the rookie in with all these crazy defenses that they have to face. But the only way to play and to get gain experience is guess what den you have to play. You actually have to go out there and do it. And so I think that's what they need to do with Jackson Dart.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of we'll just see highlights or we'll read something, and then we'll take our opinion from that. And I've specifically watched when Dylan Gabriel played, and I watched when Shador Sanders played because I wanted to be fair to this situation instead of just taking somebody's opinion on that. And granted it's my opinion, but you know, that's what this show is based on. I'm watching Dylan Gabriel and I saw good things with Dylan Gabriel. I saw a tight end who should have you know, got a pass and it ended up being intercepted. But I don't know if we will grade him the same way will grade Shador Sanders you looked at both of them, what did you take away from their performances.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more with you. I think you're right on Dan. And when you look at Shador and you look at the first game, he was electric. I mean it really was. He made some throws, he missed them throws. His first throw in the NFL right was a five hundred miles per hour slant route that went right through the guys because he was jacked up and he was ready. And that's normal, and I think we need to normalize this. But he gets so much fanfare for other reasons that I think that we grate him on a different scale. And then when you look at what Dylan Gabriel did the whole first drive, and really most of the game was really, really good. Now you make two mistakes. And I think the handoff, based on what I saw and what I know of the play they were running, I put that more in the running back he was a little wide on his track. And then you look at the interception. You have two receivers literally in the same spot and he throws it in the middle of him, and I'm like, Okay, that's probably the mistake that you want to just eat and say, hey, just continue on the run. He stopped in the pocket going out to his left. He should have continued on the run or just dirt it. Live to fight another down. But there's some outside pressure on him to play well and he wants to make every throw and he's more of the short intermediate throw. But he was excellent. He was on rhythm, he was in rhythm, he was on time, he was pinpoint accuracy, and it was I thought it was a good start for them. But if you look at the stats, which I don't love to do, you're gonna be like, oh man, he is out two turnovers. He led to thirteen points. I thought it was a pretty good start. Maybe I'm the minority on it.
Speaker 2: He's Chased Daniel co host the Athletic Scoop City and it's a podcast also the Chase Daniel Show on YouTube. Speaking of putting it in the dirt, Joe Burrow still taking hits in preseason.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Why? Why? I don't know. I don't know. And I saw that, and everyone saw Buck was like, just it's August, Joe, throw it away. You know, I was laughing, but like, what are you doing? You're the franchise, Like if you go down with his injury history, I get it. I do love the fact that the head coach there is playing the starters. He's taking the Andy Reid approach. Zach Taylor is they haven't played in a long time in the preseason, and if you look at their record in the first two weeks of the season since Zach Taylor has been the head coach, they're one and eleven and that is awful, Like they just don't start fast. I think that playing and I was with the Andy Reid Tree and even Sean Payton, he played some of the starters in the preseason to sort of get the juiceslan I would say to Joe, like, you don't need to take the hit to get the juices Loan. But he has three drives this preseason and three touchdowns. They're gonna be just fine if they can figure out what the heck is going on with Trey Hendrickson and that defense.
Speaker 2: The Matthew Stafford situation, it was a curiosity. Now it feels like it's a concern. It's a back issue at that position. What do you think, how would you handicap this?
Speaker 3: Look? I know Matthew Stafford Well grew up in the same area in Dallas and played with him in twenty twenty. He's one of the strongest and toughest dudes that I've ever met. When it comes to injury, there's always seems to be a nagging elbow or an ankle that just isn't right, or a right shoulder, or there's just always something. And it's just because he's getting old like me. He's my age, right, we're thirty eight, almost thirty nine. It's hard to play quarterback in the league. But when you get with a back injury, and you have a back injury, it's a little bit different because of the type of thrower of the football he is. He's not an arm thrower, which means, hey, you just put all your stress on the arm and that's all that matters, and that's all it takes. You are really turning and you're really much of a core thrower, so you're torquing your body. And he has such good mechanics. He goes to Tom House, the guru who worked with Drew Brees and Tom Brady. He's consistently working and perfecting his craft. But those type of throwers, right, I don't know if you've dealt with any back pain. I have a little bit it like it just the finest of torque on the shoulder or that leads down to the neck that then connects. Everything's connected, and it's really difficult. I'm gonna be interested to see how he throws the football if he has the same amount of zip on it. But ultimately, like the dude's an iron man. He rarely misses games. I think eventually he'll be fine. It doesn't help that he missed him camp though.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Joe Flacco's career or Philip Rivers?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, where did this question come from? Look, Phillips was great. I feel like Philip never won the big game, right, like he always had these these winning season that the playoffs always got from him. I'd probably go Joe Flacco because the dude just doesn't die. Like he's just continuing to play. He's a starting quarterback, he's forty something years old. He's got a chance to do it again. I actually played golf with him a couple months ago in a tournament here in Orange County, And you never know, like, like obviously, other than the size, like he is just a normal dude. Like it was awesome. He's like talking about his kids. He has his crew of kids who are like sixteen years old, just like running around, falling around. It just looks like a normal dude. And I'm like, bro, are you playing He's like, I don't know, I think so, but you know, it's just like one of those things where it's really cool. He's just he's just shugging along, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's something to be said for that that it was never too high, never too low, never too big for him. He just kinda I mean, you're two years younger than him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is crazy. It's it's nuts. I mean, he's he just continues to do it. And I wouldn't be surprised if he plays well. I mean, you saw what he did in twenty twenty three with Kevin Sevanski before and one down the stretch, right, he didn't play very well last year. But it's gonna be a tough division to do. I just don't know, Like I'm of the I'm of the thinking right, like I think it's smart to play Joe Flacco. What's gonna happen to can you pick it? I don't know, but you got those two rookies. Like, I'm of the camp of like, you need to play one of the rookies because you need to see what you have going forward if any of them are the answer. Based on the twenty twenty six draft class, which Cleveland and has two first round picks at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my only concern with Dylan Gabriel and Shade or Sanders is will you give them enough of a runway that you can find out if they can play before you go h, I don't know, Let's use these two first round picks and move up and get a franchise quarterback. That would be the only concern that I would have that they get a fair shake to prove that they can play or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and I think I think that would be eight to ten games. So what Flacco gets six games? Seven games to prove? Hey, if they're if they're two and five through seven, like, do you make the switch? Probably if you're five and two, No, and then you're rolling with Flacco because Kevin SEVANSI, you don't two time coach to here. Don't think he wants to lose his job. I don't think he's going to lose his job. But if stuff, you know, crazier things have happened. I just it's a it's a really precarious situation that they've sort of put themselves into.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you again, Thank you, Thanks Dan. That's Chase Daniel, co host of the Athletics Scoop City podcast and the Chase Daniel sit on YouTube, which is great because he kind of just takes you into the film room and breaks things down really really very intelligent when it comes to breaking down these quarterbacks. A couple of phone calls in here, Tim and Michigan. Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hi Dan?
Speaker 15: I'm thinking about Fritzy and people calling about him being made fun of. In reference to Baba Booie on The Howard Stern Show. He used to really get it and Fritzy compared to that, has it really really good?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you too. Yes, Baba Booie, Gary delabate with Howard. He took both barrels and then Howard would reload and give him both barrels again. But he, you know, he was very good at understanding the content portion of that. For the Howard Stern Show. Dan in Texas, Hi Dan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey mister Petherick can hear me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can.
Speaker 16: Dan, Hey, first of all, it's an honor to talk to you. I've been a longtime fan since you were up in your attic. I believe in the first studio, U honor to talk to you. Love your self, I love everybody there. I am a lifelong Wolverine fan. I also play sports most of my life, like yourself, I believe in some of your crew. But about this cheating scandal at Michigan. First of all, anybody that ever played Little League knows you are going to try to steal the signals, and everybody does it. Secondly, and most importantly, they use an indicator. Of the forty two signs you see only the one following indicator is the real sign or the second one. And if you're stupid enough to not change it indicator every quarter, every half, or every game at the collision.
Speaker 2: Dan, why have a signed stealing program within the team. If it doesn't work, it doesn't help you.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 17: So to respond to that, the violation of Einstein correctly was the fact that a staff member went to another stadium in place. That rule was put in place because the poor colleges couldn't afford to do it, so that violation was broken. But the call is say, scandal is just a joke in my opinion, because they're all trying to steal the signals they know they are and yes, that was the violation, but the call is some tumultuous cheating.
Speaker 16: Scandal is a joke in my opinion. And I appreciate you you're taking a call.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan. Well, it should be easy to uh have this overturned on the appeal if it's that simple. You know, it's thirty million dollars and then there's I thought they got off relatively easy. But if you're saying it's not a big deal, then why is it Jim Harbaugh can't come back to college football for ten years. That's a show cause penalty ten years, so something. How about lack of institutional control be where i'd start, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: He's the caller's right that the rule is weird. It's to protect smaller schools who don't have the budget to send an advanced scout. However, everyone knows about the rule. It'd be like any other rule that you may disagree with the rule. It's okay to dis agree with.
Speaker 2: The rule, But can I disagree with driving fifty five. Yes, but I have to drive fifty five or I get pulled over.
Speaker 10: So that.
Speaker 2: Look, if you're a Michigan fan, enjoy your national championship, okay, that you get to keep it. I mean the Fab five they didn't even get their banner. Just hey, you want it, you'd celebrate. But if it comes up, you're gonna have to eat it and people are gonna say you cheat it.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Uh, take a break, last call for phone calls?
Speaker 3: What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Gonna be on Cam Newton's podcast later on today. That'll be fun. Didn't realize that I'm on for an hour. I don't know if I'm that entertaining that I can be on for an hour. But always fun to talk to Cam. Getting his jersey retired at Auburn? How long was he there at Auburn? Is he there just one year?
Speaker 3: One great year?
Speaker 2: Well, one great year he could have.
Speaker 6: Won the Heisman as a running back year. I think he had like fifteen hundred yards and twenty touchdowns.
Speaker 2: But it was like Johnny Manziel Manzel that one year rushed for fifteen hundred yards and rushed for twenty touchdowns. Yeah, yes, Mark.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I still have. Cam Newton is maybe the greatest single season in the history of college football, just based off the fact of who was around him. Nobody else started in the NFL on that line, Like on that offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: Nobody.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Joe Burrow great, but Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson you were throwing.
Speaker 3: The ball to.
Speaker 2: That is true. You know, it's not one of those that those guys are really good and then you realize, no, no, they're really really good. Yeah, Paul, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Cam Newton twenty ten at Auburn. Three thousand passing yards, thirty touchdowns, only seven picks, So great passing stats. His rushing stats were, oh my gosh, fourteen and seventy three rushing yards and two hundred and sixty four carries. That's like a running back. He had twenty touchdowns. He averaged one hundred and five yards rushing per game.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't They have the all time college football team and Tim Tebow is the all time college quarterback.
Speaker 6: I think because Tebo did it for three plus years and so he gets more credit. Kind of like that Christian Latner longer career type thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple of phone calls in here Marshall and South Carolina. Good morning, Marshall, what's on your mind?
Speaker 18: Thanks for calling me back? Man straight to the point this morning.
Speaker 12: Suck at Todds.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thank you, Marshall. Todd you kind of ask for Wait, Marshall, why do you say that.
Speaker 11: I've been watching all morning and it seems like he deserves it this morning.
Speaker 5: Okay, well said, thank you. See, I have to defend you. You didn't do anything wrong today. There's always something we can find if you dig deep enough.
Speaker 2: That's true. Now for the most part, you're awesome. Roger in Vermont, Hi, Roger, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 18: Hey, good morning, six three two fifty second time caller. Just to chime in a little bit on the Michigan Harbom and you know, maybe there vacating their their title if they find their cheating. I coached basketball for fourteen years, granted it was high school boys, and I would get complaints of the kids saying, well, they know our plays and they can't run them. And I said, no, I'd give our opponents our playbook. It's all about execution. If you do things correctly, it doesn't matter if they know what you're doing, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody's taking away Michigan's title. They have their title. That's fine that you know they with everybody outside of the Michigan bubble, it'll be viewed with an asterisk.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: You suffered penalties here and you know could be upwards of thirty thirty five million dollars and harball that punishment. I mean, there's a lot attached to it. If everybody's doing it, and why don't you do it? And you know it's not the logic that you're supposed to take, But if that's your defense, it feels like a weak defense. Yes, point for all.
Speaker 6: The Michigan fans that are being defensive, and a lot of them are, but a lot of them are taking this and understanding. I always wonder what they would say if Ohio State got caught for the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they would. I'd be crushing them absolutely. I Mean, the Astros don't have to give up their World Series trophy. There's an asterisk and astro zisc there with that title not gonna you know, all right, we won the title, Yeah, but yep, it goes along with it. Kenny in La, Hi, Kenny, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey, Danny, So I want to talk about Baseball Hall of Fame. You've alluded to this the last couple of days. First of all, you had mentioned o'tani and being a prohibitive favorite, and I agree with Paulie because of the pitching, and even though coming time the Bodgers last year, you know, I think he was the first guy who was a full time DH basically twinian if I thought Lindor should have won until September when he got hurt. You also had mentioned Roger Marris hitting two sixty nine. Of course that's the year he broke favorites record in sixty one, but there was actually earlier, got great fielding shorts up for the Cardinals. Martin mary And hit two sixty seven in forty four. Now you look at this year, Kyle Schwarber is over getting two forty nine. So at two forty nine, you can't compare him to o Toanny. Forget the pitching, and he's a full time dyight Schwarber. So that's why, in my opinion, you've got such a big favorite Innani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Thanks for pointing that out, Kenny. This day in sports history, Paul got a couple for you. Nineteen oh nine.
Speaker 6: The first car race to be run on brick occurred at the Innnapolis Voter Speedway nineteen oh nine. Also, the Philadelphia Phillies were rained out for the tenth straight day. About that, Mike Tyson nineteen ninety five knocked out Peter McNeely in just eighty nine seconds. And in two thousand and two, John Madden debuted on Monday Night Football.
Speaker 2: Paul's schemes allowed two runs in six innings. He struck out another no decision. He has ten no decisions this season. He's allowed two runs or less in nine of those ten. Seemed like a sat of the day, Mark, That's okay, that's all right. Stat of the day brought to you BoNT Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Todd would you learn today?
Speaker 4: Mike Florio says, without question, Matthew Stafford more Hall of famey than Russell Wilson. Russ making it harder for himself.
Speaker 5: The more he plays Seaton.
Speaker 2: What did you learn? Mike Florio's book is absolutely not about a professional football.
Speaker 3: With all her no.
Speaker 13: Marvin Flurya wrote about the Las Vegas franchise, not the.
Speaker 2: Raiders Paul choppy uniforms. We enjoyed it. Hope you did too. We'll talk to you tomorrow.