Speaker 1: Crime stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: It's all a lie, a fabrication as some people call it. It's an outright lie. As many of you legal eagles had already figured out through your sleuthing and just playing common sense, Carly Russell is a big liar. Take a listen to this.
Speaker 3: But the question is where was she for those forty nine hours? She said she stayed ends Hoover the entire time and no one helped her. So where was she for those forty nine hours?
Speaker 2: Where did she sleep? Where did she stay?
Speaker 3: How did she leave that area where she abandoned her red Mercedes sedan? Now a lot of questions left unanswered. We also asked about potential charges and the chief told us they're looking into that. Prosecutors looking into what charges could be found against her, and then they'll decide whether those charges will be filed.
Speaker 2: You're hearing our friends at WVTM with me an all star panel to make sense of what we know right now. But for those of you just joining us on the story of twenty five year old Carly Russell, who says that she is only trying to render a to a top boy walking along the interstate wearing nothing but a diaper and a shirt. Then she goes missing for forty nine hours, throwing her family and the Hoover PD into chaos as they search for her literally around the clock. People donating nearly seventy thousand dollars to help find her, one anonymous donor giving twenty five grand. They're not getting any of that money back. The boyfriend that defended her to the hilt has now broken up with her and says quote, I'm disgusted. Well, I second that emotion. Guys, I want you to hear what the chief of the Hoover PD has to say in our cup fifty four.
Speaker 4: Mister Anthony asked that I read the statement in its entirety, which I will do now. My client has given me permission to make the following statement on her behalf. There was no kidnapping on Thursday July nineteen thirteenth, twenty twenty three. My client did not see a baby on the side of the road. My client did not leave the Hoovaria which she was identified as a missing person. My client did not have any help in this incident, but this was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone but any hotel with anyone from the time she was missing.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me understand that that is Chief Nick Durvis from the Hoover PDE reading a statement of a lawyer who has been given a statement by Curly Russell. Woman, get out there and apologize yourself for Pete's sake. But you're hearing from Curly Russell through her a lawyer, through the chief. But I want you to hear this too. Now you hear the Chief saying there was no base, there was no one in danger. I was never missing. Now take a listen to our cut seven, the nine to one to one call. Listen to how Rich in detail, it.
Speaker 5: Is four forty two for seventy one, forty two, seventy one, it's gonna be forty nine south, my marker ten. It's gonna be a child walking on the three four year old child walking on the side of the interstate next to her. Harpe's going to be close behind the red stad sedan with the hazards on. Child's going to be a white male wearing a white T shirt and a diaper forty from Wick and for forty two. Harpi's advising there's no cars in the areas. The child's been abandoned on the side of the ridge. For one, you still a little phone negative. But she's said that she would stand by for police. Forty two call rpback, She's not at their vehicle.
Speaker 2: Now remember police got to the scene in about four minutes after that nine more month call. Now let's listen to Carly Russell in her own words the detail I was mentioning earlier in our cut thirteen.
Speaker 6: Now one one, where's the records?
Speaker 7: Say?
Speaker 6: Hi, I am on Interstate four fifty nine and there is a kid just walking by their selves. Oh, hold on, hold on? Where where I'm fourth down?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 6: I'm right next to the exit exit ten by the couver mitt like to get off by.
Speaker 8: The hooper mit.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you're before that exit, yes, okay? And where you're headed southbound or northbound to toward to eighty fort Tuscalusive okay? And was the child on the western right side, on the right side where they walk on northbound or south down? They're walking towards Tuscalusave walking southbound?
Speaker 2: Did you hear that detail? Oh there's more. Listen to cup fourteen or how old?
Speaker 6: Did they look like a toddlers?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 6: Maybe like three or four? Did you pull over with them? A? Are you still with them?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 6: Okay you're Are you with the child right now?
Speaker 11: No, I'm not.
Speaker 6: I didn't get out of the car.
Speaker 5: I'm I can see them, though.
Speaker 6: Can you do you mind staying and keep an eye on them until we get there? Yeah? Yeah, sure, yeah? Okay? What kind of car are you in? I'm in a red Mercedes Ben and that a Sadana ORCV SUV.
Speaker 11: I mean it's a Sedan story.
Speaker 6: Can you put your hazards off for me?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: They're on?
Speaker 6: Okay. Did you talk to the child on or did you say anything to know? Okay?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: Do they look like they're injured? No, they don't.
Speaker 2: I love listening to this. I w one one call because I know every word she says is a big fat lie. And can you imagine her in her red Mercedes at night conjuring up this lie? And it's intricate detail. Listen to more cut fifteen.
Speaker 6: Are they wife like a Senak or amyl? They're white as a male or female? I think it's a boy, a little boy, I'm right now. Okay. Is he wearing clothes?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 6: What is he wearing? It's a white T shirt. And it doesn't look like he has any pants on. It looks like a diaper. And you don't see any cars any no, no cause anywhere? Okay, all right, what's your name? My name is Carl Russell. And you don't see any injuries on the shop from where you're at, correct? No, no, But I can't really see them that good, okay, And try to keep an eye on them for the best big can, because I don't want you to lose track of them. And do they have shoes on? No, not that I can be. I can't really see that. Look all right, I've got them on the way. Okay, just try to say, keep an eye on them, but officers are on the way, okay, Okay, say.
Speaker 2: Man, she's such a good samaritan. A good samaritan that costs the taxpayers, that says about five hundred thousand dollars and costs well wishers and those who want to help nearly seventy thousand dollars in donations that they're not going to get back with me an all star panel. But can I first go to Cheryl McCollum, founder director of the Cold Case Research Institute, Star of Zone seven, A hitting you podcast, and you can find her at coldcasecrimes dot org. Cheryl. Really, he's wearing nothing but a diaper, and I can't tell if he has on any shoes. And he's a white male, about three or four years old. And I'm so worried. I'm so worried. The I'm not getting out of my car, of course, but i am worried. And I'm going to follow him for six hundred yards in my car, that six football fields as I try. Boy, that little tot should be in the Olympics if it can go that fast in nothing but a diaper and barefoot. I mean, the story reaped on day one. That's why I didn't cover it exactly on day one because it was a lie. He was obviously a lie. And we have actual people that are really missing, being raped, being sex traffick, being killed, and here's this girl making up a whole big deal because what I just want somebody to love me, really get online. Woman, There are millions of people out there that will love you. But why do this? What about this statement on nine one one?
Speaker 11: You make excellent points, but let's hope for a second about what we don't hear her say. We don't hear her say please hurry. We don't hear her say help. We don't hear her say I'm going to go out and try to save him so that he doesn't.
Speaker 12: Get into the expressway.
Speaker 11: She's just in her car, chilling, and she's only answering questions. She didn't offer the description. She didn't offer that he wasn't hurt. She didn't offer she was asked those things. The only truthful statement she says in the whole thing is when she says, yeah, I can't really see that's the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, now we're just trying to figure out what really happened during those days. And I've got a pretty good idea that she was holed up in something akin to a red roof in And I'll tell you why. Guys, take to listen to our cut sixteen.
Speaker 13: Unclassified Complaints fourteen sixty six Montgomery Highway at the red roofs in the front office for caller. Family members at this location saying they received a call from the female that's missing, Carly Russell. Fifty four family members are saying they received a call from the female thing she without this location.
Speaker 5: Born around six and the responding units, I just spoke with the front desk clothes. They said that the family is not being on style or anything like that, but that there was about six car loads of people that have just shown up over the five four coffee. Did the front desk I have anybody checked in under that name? Negative? And according to the front desk, the message that the family got did not state which red roof in.
Speaker 2: Well, I know this. This is fourteen sixty six Montgomery Highway at the Red roof in. That's where the family went and nobody was checked in under that name, which gives me a very strong indication that she was checked in there. What ordering room service and watching pay per view under the name We've been given one name. I don't know if it's correct or not, Shinquela Bronx. Is that real? Is that what she was doing while people were scouring the high ways and the woods and the ravines for her and some tatboy.
Speaker 1: Time stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Savannah Sap multimedia journalist reporter WAFF forty eight in Bama. You can find her on Twitter at Savannah Sap sapp Savannah what and the Hey if this girl is snugged up in a king sized bed with ac on low, ordering room service and watching pay per view while everyone is tearing their hair out trying to find her. I'm going to do a backflip. A backflip, Savannah Sap. What do we know?
Speaker 7: It's honestly confusing to say the least. You know, her statement that was written to an attorney and given to police through the attorney claims that she was not at a hotel. But you have all of these people who are commenting against that, and you have screenshots of you know, family members and friends of hers texting each other saying, yes, she was absolutely at a red roof in. You know, it's again, it's confusing, to say the least. And if she was hold up at a red roof in while you know, hundreds of thousands of people are wondering where she is, if she's even alive, I think that says a lot about the testament of her character.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, you can't go to jail for telling a lie unless you're under oath. And I was just pointing out this morning about thirty minutes ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, shell Nut with me. James shell nutt, high profile lawyer out of this jurisdiction in Alabama with the shell Nut Law firm. But listen to this twenty seven years metro major case as a cop, including SWAT, that's not easy. Former prosecutor, he actually prosecuted false report cases. You know what, I had so many felonies coming on my ears. I didn't even bother with the lies and the false report shell Nut. But I'm glad to know that I've got an expert that did do it. You know what, that reminds me of shell Nuck DUI cases. I never handled straight out DUI cases. By the time I got them, somebody was dead. It was a habitual violator where you have five or more DUIs, there have been a vehicular homicide. That's when I would get a DUI. I wouldn't get a flat out plane old misdemeanor d UI. And you know what, there's an art to proving a DUI. You've got to know all the ins and outs of blood alcohol, the rights whether you take a breathalyzer or don't take a breath. I mean, he's actually very complicated to get all those hoops, and defendants can win if the prosecutor doesn't know all the ins and outs of prosecuting a dui, same thing with a false report. It's true, show Nutt that at the bottom of every police report there are words to the effect I swear and a test under penalty of perjury that all the information that I have given is true. Isn't that at the bottom of every police report form?
Speaker 14: Oh, it absolutely is. And it's because you are about to alert law enforcement to a situation that you know that they are going to spend time and resources investigating. And it gives you an opportunity to think twice about what you just said.
Speaker 2: It's perjury. Perjury is a crime. Now I want to point out that Curly Russell is being handled with kid gloves. Other people in her situation have gone to jail for this. Think about Jesse Smilett, Sherry Peppini, Jennifer Wilbanks. It's so called runaway bride, Chloe Dye. But you know another thing when it comes to those cases, those people always had a culprit. Carly Russell has a white guy with orange hair and a ball spot and a woman she never saw, and a baby crying in the background that fed her cheese its and played with her hair. The woman said that she said about the woman, that's part of her story, Smolett blamed uh didn't he say, white guys wearing maga hats, okay, when it turned out to be the two Osendaro brothers his friends. Let's see Sherry Pepini blamed two unidentified Hispanic women, and she proceeded to starve and brand herself and beat herself up and snug up with her boyfriend for I've forgotten how many weeks and showed up much like Carly Russell on foot on Thanksgiving Day. Let's see where am I? There's Small Wilbanks, Jennifer Willelbanks, the runaway bride. She blamed I guess basically a group of his Spanish males that kidnapped her, assaulted her on the eve of her wedding. And then we've got Chloe Stein. She didn't want her family to know she wasn't going to graduate from college, so she faked an abduction. Who does she blame, Sydney. You got to blame somebody, the evil person that is responsible for your dilemma. And in this case, Carly Russell is blaming again a white guy with orange hair. So let me understand this. To Mike Hatzel, joining US President, founder of Peace River Canine Search and Rescue at p r s R dot org. How much money would a search like this? First? Describe the search, because they really pulled out all the stops what I was done to find Carly Mike Hatzel.
Speaker 8: They're going to pull every resource they can get on a resource list in the area into that search that they can get because this is the high probability search, meaning when you have an abduction or you have a predatory abduction and that person is missing or there's a child involved, the survivability rate of the victim is less than six hours. So we have a time clock where we're trying to get to the victim before the perpetrator either traffics them out of the area or kills them. And so every all hands are on deck at this point, everybody's coming in. So a minimum cost on this is going to start at half a million dollars and go up because of all the resources that are there. When I was watching the video on TV, I saw this line of law enforcement vehicles that just went on and on and on, and you've got helicopters overheads, you've got people coming in on overtime. They're calling everybody in that's off, and they're they're pounding the ground. They're going to all the hotels in the area, all the stores in the area. They're they're canvassing the entire area. That takes law enforcement person and everybody's there, everybody's out, and so it's very, very expensive for these types of searchers.
Speaker 2: Guys, we're talking about Carly Russell, who, as it turns out, is a pretty good liar. Karen started joining me, renowned psychologist out of Manhattan, trauma and crime expert. You can find her at karenstart dot com. That's Karen with a C. Karen, thank you for being with us. You know, many people are saying, oh, we should feel sorry for her. I do that she would have to go to this link to try to get attention, and if she is having some sort of dilemma or depression or sadness, that is not a legal defense. And I want to point out to you, Karen Start, before you answer. She may be crazy like a fox because she outwitted everybody, her family, her boyfriend that stayed by her, police searchers, people that donated nearly seventy grand to help find her. So I wouldn't call that crazy.
Speaker 9: Karen Stark, Well, it's not legally crazy like you said, Nancy, because she does know the difference between right and wrong. That seems really care to me, because she was able to plot everything out, you know, come up with this elaborate story, then show up and when you listen to her though, you can see that there's something wrong. She does have some kind of psychopathology because she's making this elaborate story up and it's really so rich in detail.
Speaker 6: She's a victim.
Speaker 9: And the thing about being a victim, I mean when you look at her text from before and the things that she said, they were inconsistent, they were really very self hittying. And here she is now coming up with a story where everyone is going to look first for a baby and then for her. So there is pathology there. But does she know the difference between right and wrong? Should we hold her responsible that part? I think legally yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Guys. Take a listen to our cut to our friends at Fox ten.
Speaker 15: What happened to Carly Russell Hoover pet says. On Thursday, Russell called nine to one one claiming she saw a little boy walking on the side of I four fifty nine in a diaper that was.
Speaker 5: A toddler three four year old wearing a flight T shirt and a diaper.
Speaker 15: According to police, Carly then called a relative to tell them she was going to get out and check on the baby. The relative says she heard Carly scream and then nothing but sounds from the interstate.
Speaker 2: So I want you to take into account the level of detail in her nine on one call, but also she said the same lie to her own family. Listen to cut three, fox ten, just.
Speaker 5: Three of ours, her vehicles on lock, running, all her personal belongings, you could set for her phone.
Speaker 15: When police got there, Carly was gone, her Mercedes still running. Friends, family, and strangers on the internet did their part to find her, and then perhaps a clue.
Speaker 13: Saturday night, Montgomery Highway at the red roofs and family members as a flotation saying they received a call from the female that's missing.
Speaker 5: Carly Russell.
Speaker 15: Family members say they showed up to knock on doors and find her, but she wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Police have used every synonym for a lie. They're saying things like, we can't corroborate, we can't confirm, no evidence of so forth, and so on, ad nauseum. But what it boils down to, is this woman lied sent police and volunteers on a wild goose chase to the tune of at least a quarter of a million dollars while we think she was shocked up somewhere enjoying the attention vicariously that she was receiving. With me again, an all star panel to make sense of what we know right now with me Lee Reeber, mobile device forensic expert, CEO of Oxygen Forensics, Inc. An author of mobile forensics investigations, also host a podcast, Forensic Happy Hour.
Speaker 4: Lee.
Speaker 2: I believe since her cell phone was left behind, she may have had another phone. So how do we go about tracking what she was doing in order to make a case of perjury?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, it always comes down to you, right is your digital life? If you look at all of the cases where it turns out that they have been lying, it comes down to you know, law enforcement just looking at that digital life. And the interesting thing about.
Speaker 9: This or.
Speaker 12: Is in Hoover, Alabama, is the NCFI, which is a National Computer Forensic Institute, one of the one of the best places to go to learn how to collect digital data. So it's probably the wrong place that you're going to be lying over your social media, if you're going to be utilizing your phone or if you have another phone, because quite honestly, they're going to be able to review your digital life. They're going to find and locate you if you're using another device, if you're just in the area, So again, trying to utilize social media. Even prior to this, they had a timeline. Once they had that timeline, I'm sure that they assumes that came out they had the information that she was not telling the truth.
Speaker 2: Not telling the truth, I guess that's one way of putting it. Guys. It's happened many times before, but I believe in this case we may actually see charges. Take a listen to our friends at WZTM and cut fifty nine B.
Speaker 3: Brother Eric Guster says he worries this case could affect future missing person's cases.
Speaker 10: Is going to be much more difficult for African American women to be believed, and it may actually decrease the number of actual reports of things because people are already afraid that they won't be believed.
Speaker 3: Auguster says, the police chief outlined three crimes that they believe Carly has committed. That's that's lying to authorities and filing a false police report. He says he is shocked that Carly has not been arrested on those charges.
Speaker 2: I'm stunned. We all remember the case of Jesse Smollett. Take a listen to this.
Speaker 7: He is like a star books on the show Tire.
Speaker 16: Police body camera video shows the moment officers first arrived at Jesse Smolette's apartment after the actor claimed he'd been attacked. Smolette still has what appears to be a noose around his neck.
Speaker 7: Do you want to take it off for anything?
Speaker 16: At Smolette told police he was assaulted by two masked men yelling racist and homophobic slurs. For more than three weeks, at least twenty four detectives searched for the two men and investigated Smolette's claims.
Speaker 2: Guys, we're talking about Jesse Smilette. He ended up paying about one hundred and twenty thousand dollars of restitution. He got one hundred and fifty days behind bars for filing a false report. To Cheryl McCollum, what exactly went into the search for Curly Russell?
Speaker 11: They had air helicopter land, they had people on foot, they had canines. They had, you know, her cell phone being looked at. They were interviewing family, friends and co workers. They pulled everybody off, you know, having days off. This was a full court press, every available person, including citizens that came to volunteer Nancy. She had the SEI, the Secret Service, Hoover Police, Alabama State Police, she had you and Crime Online, she had the Today. Think of the resources that were given to her and every homicide, true missing person, child molization, aggravated assault, domestic violence. They were all put on hold to search for her because they believed time was of the essence. But I want to say something very clearly, she didn't pool everybody. Because you and I were talking Saturday and Sundays, we knew it was bogus.
Speaker 2: On tay one because it didn't add up. I mean, the story didn't make any sense. How many times did you and I look at that video scouring it, blowing it up, playing in a slow mo. There was no boy walking along the side of the interstate. That was all a big light. And let me tell you what Jesse Smilett got. Take a listen to our cut forty four from the Today Show.
Speaker 17: Judge James Lynn sentencing spen led to thirty months felony probation, including that jail time. Ordering he paid more than one hundred and twenty one thousand dollars in restitution to the City of Chicago and pay the maximum fine twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: You've turned your life upside down by her this conduct in Shenanigans.
Speaker 2: You've destroyed your life.
Speaker 4: As you knew it.
Speaker 17: As a defiant Smolette was taken into custody last night, his family blasting the judge's decision.
Speaker 7: He's the reason why folks aren't going to report hate crimes.
Speaker 14: They're the reason why folks aren't going to report hate crimes.
Speaker 2: No, Smollette, you're the problem, not everybody else. And the same thing here, people giving time, energy, blood, sweat and tears to find Curly Russell when she's obviously propped up somewhere having takeout, watching the news about her own disappearance. And then of course there's Jennifer will Banks, the so called runaway bride. Now, this wedding was a big shindig in high society Atlanta. I mean a lot of money, tens one thousands of dollars shelld out for a big wedding and poof the bride disappears, she gets quote kidnapped. Take a listener to our cut forty seven or nine to one one, call I hold, I was I say there?
Speaker 6: I mean I was saying her forties. Maybe it was a medium bill.
Speaker 13: I don't know head?
Speaker 7: Do you have black?
Speaker 6: Was it longer?
Speaker 8: Short?
Speaker 14: Short?
Speaker 6: Having a facial hair?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: The color SHORKATACKI with you where I want to ask on him? He had on a maroon jacking and I don't know what color? Sure under the color he now boy teens and looking of vehicle with you braving It was a boy's van like a work band. Was it a convergon banner as minigan?
Speaker 7: It wasn't a median.
Speaker 6: It was like a like a paint, like a painter work band. What direction did they leave in?
Speaker 4: I don't I have no idea run I know where.
Speaker 2: I am, Dear Lord in heaven shell not do you hear that? It sounds like Carl Russell at her elaborate lie about this little barefoot boy wearing a diaper that she's trying desperately to say, yet not getting out of her car. Did you hear that hispanic males, short hair, no facial hair, a maroon jacket, blue jeans, a blue van, but no, not a conversion or a mini van. It was a paint work van. I mean, this woman had so many details. I mean, was she just running this like a movie in her head?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I don't know. You know, when you start looking at the stories that people tell about what happened to them, one of the things that you focus on is their ability to recall selective details, details.
Speaker 2: That benefit them.
Speaker 14: But they don't recall details that may put a whole in their story or that may bring things into question. And that's exactly what you have. Here's what you haven't called the Russell's case. And you know that's a major tip off for investigators.
Speaker 2: You know, Cheryl, I'm surprised you could keep all those facts straight, but she did. The level of detail is rich.
Speaker 1: Crime stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Now, I know that you, Cheryl, and everyone on our panel has heard the name Jesse Smolette. You've heard about Jennifer Wilbanks, a so called runaway bride. But what about Nicholas Rossi and Nicholas Avederian. Take a listen to our cut forty nine WFLA.
Speaker 18: Nicholas Alvertian crave fame and founded as a self proclaimed crusader for children's rights. He's now locked up in a Scottish prison facing extradition on a rape charge, eighteen years after he claimed he was sexually assaulted in Bradenton.
Speaker 2: Wipeyden Blood Nicholas.
Speaker 18: Alvertian talked in dramatic terms with me a decade ago about this federal lawsuit that named several defendants, including the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration. In two thousand and four, a teenaged Alavertian was placed in a Bradenton children' psychiatric hospital by Rhode Island's version of DCF. He alleged he was assaulted within the first two weeks of the placement in Florida and abused in other facilities in other states. According to the lawsuit that ended with an undisclosed settlement, he not.
Speaker 2: Only faked sex assaults, he faked his disappearance and did a really good job at it as well. And then, of course we've got the Queen of fake disappearances, Sherry Peppini. Take a listen, our friend Matt Gutman and our cut thirty eight from GMA.
Speaker 19: In November of twenty sixteen, Sherry Peppini vanished for twenty two days. Then on Thanksgiving morning, she materialized on a highway nearly one hundred and fifty miles from home, a trucker stopping and calling nine one one for her. That call her for the first time this morning.
Speaker 8: Hey, what's turning? You're chained up?
Speaker 6: She's chained up?
Speaker 2: Yes, she said she was chained up, beaten, branded like you see on TV, branding cattle. And it turns out she was hold up with her boyfriend the whole time and actually tortured herself. Hard to believe, but it happened. Karen Starr, that was a lot to swallow that she would brand herself, break her own tooth, beat herself, but she did, and she admitted to it.
Speaker 9: Nat she think about the amounts of attention she was able to get and how exciting that must have been with her for her, I mean, here she is, she's with her boyfriend and able to get everybody sterracal about what happened to her. And that's narcissism to the highest degree that you could think of.
Speaker 2: Well, slow down, narcissism, explain.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, that's somebody who is so involved with themselves, so much above the law that they could go to that kind of extent to make sure that people see them as a victim and worry about them. And that's intention to speed on what's going on. It makes them really feel loved and wanted.
Speaker 2: What I'm trying to figure out is why there hasn't been an arrest. Savannah sapp joining us from waff forty eight, Alabama. They are handling her with kid gloves, and I understand sympathy or empathy for her, wondering what drove her to do this, But the reality is is regardless of her depression or sadness or desire for attention, whatever it may be, she lied in a police report, lied to detectives, and obstructive justice. Those are three charges that have yet to be leveled against her. What is happening, Savannah.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I would certainly, you know, believe that that is under discussion amongst the District Attorney's office and her return. You know, just with this statement quote unquote statement from Carly through her attorney coming through, you know, I think that was an effort to try and alleviate any sort of accusations or charges coming Carly's way. And I also just very quickly. I want to kind of pear it what Cheryl said earlier. You know, she not only took a lot of time from investigators, but you also have to look at it from a media standpoint. We had all hands on deck sharing Carly's story from all over the state. The whole state of Alabama was sharing her story is as well as national headlines. So not that you know she would be responsible for our coverage, but that's just something else to think of when you're talking about all of the resources that were I mean.
Speaker 2: The moment I heard the story heard about her disappearance, we immediately put it as the lead at crime online dot Com and put it out on social media over and over and over to get attention and get the tip line out there for people to help find Carly. We contacted people in Alabama involved in the search to try to find out what was happening and how we could help. All the whiles, Cheryl McCollum, there are real victims of real crimes that need our help. I'm not as worried about the media, but I'm more worried about people. I remember working long nights, weekends on Easter, on Thanksgiving, on my so called vacation with my family, working, cases, working, working. If I found out later that the victim was lying, I would be so deflated.
Speaker 11: Nancy again, the resources that she took from actual victims is astonishing. But I tell you what, they need to be concerned about who's next. If you do not send a message that we are not going to put up with hoaxes and lies and outright premeditated crime, then what are we doing in the DA's offer.
Speaker 2: You know, just want people to understand what a search like this entails, mud, rain, dirt, long hours, twenty four to seven, looking worried, dealing with the victims' families who are all distraught. I mean, can you imagine if you thought your child was missing. Mike Hassel, You've been through it all. Mike Castle, president founder Peace River Canine Search and Rescue, Explain the blood, sweat and tears it goes into a search like this.
Speaker 8: Well, the one factor nobody's talking about is the incredible heat that we're dealing with this year. And I just came off a search where we were out last night and the heat injuries were unreal. We lose four or five people going down from heat exhaustion and heat stroke. And the dogs are crapping out after thirty minutes because they're just cooked. And there's a lot of resources that go into having to keep the people up. You can get a searcher out there that can work for an hour, maybe maybe an hour and a half if you're lucky, but then they're down for two hours because they got to cool off and get ready. The same thing with the dogs. You can get them for twenty minutes, and then Zog has to rest for fifty minutes because he's got a cool down before you can go back out. So there's a lot of injuries involved here, snakes and UNEs and you know all kinds of stuff that goes on that, and especially for volunteers, because you know, we volunteer. We go out wet, we help a law enforcement on these searches, but we have to cover our own expenses and we have to cover our own health insurance. So we get injured, it's on us.
Speaker 2: Then there is a Chloe Stine, and I bring her up because she's about the same age as Carly Russell. She faked in her own abduction. Who does she blame a fake cop? I guess she was running out of people to blame. I want you to take a listen hour cut thirty seven. Our friends from WTAA regarding Chloe Stine say.
Speaker 20: Police say she created an entire scenario to make people think she had been abducted by someone posing as a police officer on her way home from work Monday night. That set off a massive search effort yesterday afternoon, police estimating the entire ordeal costing thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars. Stein was found not far from her home yesterday evening. Police say at first she told them she was abducted, held at gunpoint, and then released. Eventually. Court documents they client admitted to never being in danger and making the whole thing up.
Speaker 2: I don't think I really did. Cherry Peppinie Justice take a listen to cut twenty seven GMA.
Speaker 19: In November of twenty sixteen, Sherry Peppini vanished for twenty two days. Then on Thanksgiving morning, she materialized on a highway nearly one hundred and fifty miles from home, a trucker stopping and calling nine one one for her. That call her for the first time this morning.
Speaker 8: Hey, what's turning? We're you're chained up.
Speaker 6: She's chained up.
Speaker 2: I really don't know how Matt Gutman and our friend from ABC kept a straight face on this. Take a listen to cut forty.
Speaker 19: It wasn't until more than three years later that trace DNA found on Peppini led to this mystery man ex boyfriend James Reyes, who admitted he helped Peppinie inflict those injuries on herself.
Speaker 8: So there's a brand on her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's significant bruising.
Speaker 2: And she did while she was here.
Speaker 14: I mean, she just hit herself with.
Speaker 2: Something held her.
Speaker 5: I mean I didn't pinch her anything.
Speaker 2: Help you just shot the bug off her, lady. The extremes that Peppinie went to to fake her abduction. But how are we going to figure out the truth here? How are we going to determine what happened to Carly Russell during those days that she was missing and we were all doing summersaults to help find her. You know, to you, Lee Reebert, what's the best way of finding out where Curly Russell was during those forty nine hours?
Speaker 12: You know, I think the important thing if we look at the Teamy case, they got a lot of the leads from call records, right, they found out that she was calling some friends or some boyfriends, and I think in this case too, it might come down to that. I'm sure that they're still going over phone records. We had this whole red red mouth in who did she call? You know, did she call someone? Was there additional people? They're going to look at them, maybe the phones or the family members of boyfriends. I look at those records to see if any phone numbers from a red robin or unknown number had come in. So I think they're still going to be some investigation into that, and I believe, you know, I would think that they're going to bring someone else in that had knowledge for disappear.
Speaker 2: You know. Another issue. Cheryl McCollum joining us from Zone seven podcast. Cheryl, there have been allegations that she had sent messages while she was missing to the bo boyfriend. I'm not sure that I believe that because the boyfriend was so distraught and I think he was genuine trying to find her. If he was getting messages from her, that would indicate he knew she was alive. I don't think that. But we've seen very often people use cell phones right as if there's someone else texting, like potentially her abductor, texting family or friends, taunting them about what could happen to her. I think we're going to find a digital trail. I think we're going to find a food trail, and I think we're going to find eyewitnesses.
Speaker 11: I don't think the police are done with anybody. I think they're going to keep interviewing people. He keeps putting statements out. The first statement that he ever put out seeing the little self serving, it was more about him than it was her. Again, I don't think he showed any real fear. He was thanking teammates and telling everybody he's doing this for her, and she would do the same. He's put out another statement where he using words like us, we, and with so. Again, the police are going to keep talking to people, whether it's her cousins, her good friends, or her ex boyfriends. Did she have any help and did anybody know that this was a hoax before she came clean?
Speaker 2: We wait as just as un false. If you have information or think you have information, dial two zero five eight two two fifty three hundred. Goodbye friend,