Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.
Speaker 2: By from San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts, Brian Alvarez and Mike sempervv.
Speaker 3: Right you ready?
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Let's get it off.
Speaker 1: How's it going, everybody? Bryan Alvarez here on Wrestling Observer Live. We are here almost every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern Sundays, three Pacific six Eastern Saturday Mornings with Jim Valley ten and Pacific one Eastern Sundays with andrews Arian And man, it's Wednesday here on the show. And you know what that means. Well, we have a lot to talk about, and I'm not going to talk about everything because, for numerous reasons, I'm in the middle of the first episode of the Vince McMahon docu series. I'm gonna see how much I can get watched today. But lots of stuff going on, a lot of other things as well. But hey, Dave and Garrett are watching the entire thing, so if you want their recap, that's going to be up on the front page of Wrestling Observer dot com and today, Lance Storm I think will have watched probably half of them by the time we do his show at a two thirty Pacific five thirty Eastern, which is the time two thirty Pacific five thirty eastern, so we'll hear a lot from him as well. And I'm also going to ask you guys to let me know what you thought if you have watched most or all of the six hours of Vince McMahon on Netflix. So if you have seen it, what are your thoughts four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six. That is four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six. You can also send an email at for w Online at gmail dot com, for W Online, threads, Instagram and cameo, and at Bryn elvaz On at Twitter slash x. I'll talk a little bit about a little bit because I do have some thoughts from from watching the first episode so far, but I got a long way to go. But we've got a lot of other news as well. Tonight's aw Grand Slam, and I think we've largely figured out what the heck's going on, as it pertains what's on what show. There's still a lot of matches between these two shows. Some of these matches are not going to get much time at all, and we'll talk about that, some ratings notes, some other news, and plenty more back in the moment.
Speaker 5: Observer Live, you get a ship in the in the PM meantime, some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first.
Speaker 6: Like you noted, check that your seats aren't in the visitor section first before buying tickets.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited for this game. I can't believe you got us tickets.
Speaker 2: Me too. Wait, are we on the wrong side?
Speaker 4: Yeah, checking versus smart, So check all State first for a quote.
Speaker 7: They could save you hundreds.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a long game.
Speaker 4: You're in good hands with All State.
Speaker 7: Saving Zary subject to terms, conditions and availability. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company in affiliate's North Pock, Illinois.
Speaker 6: This vacation offer is so good I'm going to repeat it. If you're in your forties, fifties, sixties, even up to the eighties, come to Port of Iorta, Mexico for six days, all meals included for only two ninety nine again.
Speaker 7: Come to port of.
Speaker 6: Iorta, Mexico all meals, all drinks to ninety nine. We'll even give you a free Cruiser Land package if you're one of the first fifty people to call right now again, come to port of Iarta, Mexico.
Speaker 7: For only two ninety nine.
Speaker 6: Be one of the first fifty people to book right now in our look urious all inclusive resort. If you're in your forties, fifties, sixties, even up to the eighties, you deserve a great vacation, so take it right now. Bornema are to Mexico well now and get a free Cruiser Land package on top of your trip.
Speaker 8: Eight hundred two ninety six one four three seven, eight hundred two ninety six one four three seven, eight hundred two ninety six one four three seven. That's eight hundred two ninety six fourteen thirty seven. Do you need to sell your home? If you sold a home before, you remember how stressful and expensive it was sold. Dot com is here to help you sell your home for the most money and with the least amount of stress. There are new ways to sell your home that you've never heard of before. Did you know there are companies who will offer you cash for your home. Did you know you could trade in your home for a new one. Did you know there are realtors who will sell your home for a flat fee instead of an expensive commission. It's true. Sold dot com services are free, So if you're looking to sell, make this free phone call right now and learn how your next home sale can be faster and easier than you ever thought possible. Pick up your cell phone and call right now. Eight hundred two five one seven eight one six, eight hundred two five one seven eight one six, eight hundred two five one seven eight one six. That's eight hundred two five one seventy eight sixteen.
Speaker 1: And here's the pitch.
Speaker 9: Want to score some runs with your family. How about an all inclusive five day, four night vacation for two adults and two children at the Ocean Spa hotel and CanCon for only six hundred ninety nine dollars. Includes airport, pickup, hotel, and all food and drinks, including alcohol. And you can travel anytime in the next twelve months with no blackout dates. So visit cancoonescapes dot com slash radio to book a family vacation for four for only six hundred ninety nine.
Speaker 10: Dollars, going Going Gone with Cancoon Escapes dot com Slash Radio.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simper Vv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Back of the show. Brian Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Live like simper Vv also Wrestling Observer dot Com apologize for no show yesterday. I'll just let you know now. I'm skeptical there's gonna be an Observer Live tomorrow, but if it works out, it'll happen. But I will be back for fun Friday. Fear not. I will have fun on Friday, barring some disaster. So yeah, there was a disaster. The other day. Granny had a massive heart attack. I think most people are aware of this by now. When you have a massive heart attack at ninety four, you're supposed to be dead. But they took her to the hospital, and I was unaware that, like nowadays, they don't have to like cut you open. They sent a stent in through her groin, opened up one clogged artery, and then they said you're good to go. Everything's good, your heart's great. It's like what, So she is still in the hospital right now. She's had this thing with her leg. Her leg gets swollen, and so I think they're doing extra tests to find out so if they can find out what the heck's up with her leg. But as far as like, she's alive and apparently doing all right. I tried to call her this morning, but she's she was watching the soaps, was not taking any calls. Nine and noon off limits, So I don't have an update other than she was watching her soaps. Do not call her during that period, and and I presume that Victor is up to no good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just need to know if she's taking notes on Young and the Restless so she's ready when she comes back on Friday. She says she wants to.
Speaker 1: She's probably gonna check in on Friday with Vinnie and I, so probably get her check in during the show. But you know, I hadn't alerted her, so I'm not sure I should, you know, drop her a call right in the middle of Observer Live, but you never know. So anyway, thank you everybody who sent in the well wishes one way the other. I mean, I was like flood. It was like I had a heart attack. I got so many messages people whether it's taxs, DMS, emails, the whole nine yards, multiple threads on the board, I mean everywhere.
Speaker 10: So and it was all positive. If you had a heart attack, you'd get probably the same amount of mail, but it may not all be.
Speaker 1: It would probably be some celebratory emails. But at the end of the day, I mean, she'll she'll just be, she'll be won another heart attack after she sees how much attention she got from this one right here. So we'll see when you get an update on her. I told I told my mom and sister if there's any update during the show to let us know and we would tell everybody what's going on. But seems everything's fine. I've heard nothing other than you know, probably out today tomorrow.
Speaker 10: And that's that amazing how fast they get you out of there. My stepfather had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Oh they kicked her out of that room before the day was even up, Like you can't be in this room anymore. You got to go to the like your fine room.
Speaker 10: My stepfather had what was a mild one, but he had a blockage that they opened up, and my mother took him to the to the hospital, to the little center that they had and they airlifted him to the and then within twenty four hours, boom, out of there, everything's fixed. Boom, you're gone, and now here's your bill for seventy thousand dollars. So yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 10: It's amazing how fast they can turn things over. One the surgery itself and then to get you out of there without having to rest or really watch too much.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure if I need surgery for my tormniscus, I'm probably gonna be in like, I'll probably be in there longer than Granny, and it'll probably be significantly more serious than sending this little gimmick. I don't know, man, I don't picture of getting out of there that day, but maybe I will.
Speaker 10: You're meniscus, you'll be out of there pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Actually, I guess. I don't know how these things working.
Speaker 10: The hardest part is all the waiting around it, when you're doing forms in triplicate and this that and the third, and then you got to sit there and wait. That's really the hardest part of all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I just remember when I was a kid how serious all this stuff was, and now it's like take a guy's brain out, put it back in and he's good to go. It's crazy.
Speaker 10: When we were kids, they just started to do more with artificial hearts and things like that. I mean, it's not anywhere near where they're at right now. I mean the ability for blind people or deaf people that have been that way their entire lives to see in some aspect or to all of a sudden here for the first time. It's just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say this, I will say one thing. Actually, Lance says he had both and he's done for the tormniscus. He was out in two hours. That would certainly be nice if I could just get this MRI. I have to call him and start. Maybe I'll have to go on my Twitter.
Speaker 10: That's what always work, sewing to pick you up or who's going to be picking you up from that? Deal? Vinnie Vinnie, I can see being way too busy to come do that for you.
Speaker 1: So well, I want to say one thing before we move on, and that is that if you are listening to this and you are old and you've got one of those those life alert gimmicks, wear it, yeah, because that's the reason that Granny is alive. This all happened. Click push the button. They were there and she's alive, So don't don't have that thing and you know, put it on the dresser.
Speaker 10: Or fall and not be able to get it back up.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Okay. So, as I mentioned before the first or in the opening segment, I have seen like forty minutes of the first Vince McMahon episode.
Speaker 10: Do you already have your piece written out for it?
Speaker 1: I haven't, But there's two things I want to say from watching forty minutes, Okay. One of them is, you know, I've seen feedback from people, you know, feedback from people that have watched more, and you know, maybe I'll feel this way, but I mean very hard on the people that said positive things about Vince. And I mean they flat out say at the very beginning of the episode the vast majority of these interviews were conducted before any of this happened. And granted, it's not like Vince was known to be like a great guy before all of this happened, but it does seem like, you know, people are really getting down on people that you know, had nice things to say about Vince and what he did for their lives in interviews that occurred before any of this happened, so I didn't want to mention that, and then I don't think that's fair. And then the other thing is Vince at the very beginning of the show, and like everybody that they talked about said the same thing. They said, I don't really know who this mister Mcmahonfela is. I don't really know who Vince is. And even Vince himself, you know, he goes, I've been spending a long time trying to figure out who I am, and I'm not entirely sure yet. And then you know, they start talking about where wrestling is and how you create this reality and you create these characters and everything like that, and you know, Vince is telling a lot of stories about his life and I haven't got to the part where like he claims, we didn't use guns during the Attitude era, and then they have all this footage of guns and everything, Like everything he says they didn't do, they have actual footage of it. So there is that, but you know, with him with him, and also I guess you know to a degree, Hogan, but Hogan hasn't really started lying yet. Haven't got to the WrestleMania three stuff. Some of this is just you know, some of it I think is Vince is full of it, but some of it is also I don't think he actually remembers. I mean when you when you are a fan, I mean you watch all all of these shows, and sometimes you watch the shows again, and sometimes you go back and you study all of this and everything. And I remember this from the Monday Night Wars. It's like I would talk to people from each side and like we knew everything that was going on. So we watched all the shows, but like they had no idea what was going on elsewhere. It's like or even on their own show, it was like they showed up and they had their thing they had to do, and then they had to go out there and they had to do it, and then they had to come back, and it's like, you know, they didn't know anything that was going on. And I think with Vince, when you think about how many hours of TV that he did and how many segments of TV and all those years that he was like busy doing his segments while other things were going on, I mean, I think there's a lot of stuff that like he's not even lying about, he just doesn't remember. I mean, I'm not Vince obviously, but I've done a lot of shows, like twelve thousand shows, and I'll go to these things and people will say, hey, remember when you did this on the show. It's like, I don't remember that at all. Like I remember certain things, you know, the gold Boat and Charmel and you know various I don't even remember Christmas shows all that well for other reasons. But the fact is, like there's so much stuff that people go back and they listen to and they bring it up. I don't remember any part of this. So there's obviously some things going on where Vince has created this character for himself and he's telling these stories because that's what he wants you to know about him or think about him or whatever. But there's also a lot of stuff that this dude flat out he don't remember. He doesn't remember doing it, he doesn't remember the circumstances, nothing, and then he gets embarrassed when they show footage of it. Anyway, we'll be back, get mikesots to be seen after the break. Observer Live.
Speaker 11: Sure, I kind to see, but they call me.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Albarez and Mike SIMPERVV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Hey the show, Brian Albarez here Wrestling Observer Live like simper vv, also of Wrestling Observer dot com. So what have you seen, Mike.
Speaker 10: I have not seen anything yet.
Speaker 1: Wow. Me.
Speaker 10: I saw about four it was it four or five reviews yesterday by people talking about it, all kind of saying the same thing, which was, if you were familiar with a lot of this documentary in the story, like a lot of people that are listening to us right now or watching us, there's nothing revelatory really on it, especially if you read the Abraham Josephine Reismann book. As far as his Youth goes, there's really not much that's going to be new there. But what I got from people, not only from those reviews, but from other people that have watched it and that I've been corresponding with. For people that don't know the story or are just relatively casual wrestling fans, a lot of this is going to probably open their eyes because they don't really know the pattern. Maybe they know about Chris Benoit or Owen Hart or this or that, but it doesn't really you know, strike them, and they're you know, they're What people were telling me was, you know, for those people that really don't know the depth and the layer of these stories and his personality, it is going to be somewhat relevatory to them. But at some point I will probably watch it. From what I've heard, there's nothing that makes me want to go and get Netflix and jump into this thing right now. But something you brought up before the break talking about Vince in his past and since he was the one being involved in a lot of this stuff, there was up on the front page of the site. I guess. Bill Simmons did a podcast with Okay where he does talk about one line item out of that thing was there were people there to remind Vince about his past and to update him and to try to a team of people that would say, no, well, Vince, this is this, and you know, to give him I guess the timeline. So that's what I saw in the article. I haven't I'm I'm kind of interested in hearing the podcast because for what Simmons had to go through, for what you make your head to go for what you know, the the Tiger King producer, I forget that gentleman's name, Chris Smith. You know that's almost is interesting to me as any of the off in the doc because just everything getting turned upside down and the having Netflix then be a suitor for SmackDown, and all of those moving parts that were going on towards the end of the documentary that I'm really interested in.
Speaker 1: Bill Simmons said, it was certainly the strangest documentary process I've ever been involved with. I don't think Vince. It sounds so weird to say. I'm not sure Vince knew what it meant to do the documentary. I'm not sure that he knew what story he wanted to tell. This was a shoemaker. I don't know if he knows who he is enough to tell the story. Even when he was eager, he wasn't there on time or on the days he was supposed to be there, he always had people with him. There was always people kind of lingering the background, making sure nothing weird happened, reminding him of things in the past. There was always a team. And then let's see Chris Smith, the entire production team have done so many documentaries. They've been working this world forever. This guy that did The Tiger King, none of them had ever experienced a working situation like we encountered in Connecticut to shoot, and then just all day long, beginning updates from Vince's secretary about his ETA six hours eight hours before the shoot, pushing him back an hour, pushing it back another hour. He would roll in at eleven pm, pitch black, with his little crew around him and shake everybody's hand. It was such a bizarre situation. We had four hours of Vince's interview on the cutting room floor because he sounded like a frog one day, didn't have a voice. There was so much good material, but I think the story Chris and his team were able to put together was pretty amazing. Vince also said, I don't see myself ever retiring. I never understood why people stopped growing. When you stop growing, you die. Some people are like, I want to retire one day. What are you going to do when you retire. I have no sympathy for people like that, So go die. This was before he retired. Yeah, well he didn't which by the way, before he resigned. Yeah, there we go, before he retired. I think we all know what happened there.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, that's a very Vince way of putting something that a lot of people believe once you stop doing something and you're just gonna sit around, you know, you're just waiting to die. There are people with that philosophy, and Vince is certainly one with that type of philosophy. You know, a guy who was as big of a megalomaniac as he is, that is cocooned in his own little world where he was able to be the puppet master for so long. You know, Yeah, he does not want to give up control or power at anyone. He never wanted to. And you see where he's at now, and we'll see what this new crisis PR company does for him. He got rid of the last one, and I believe the only thing they brought to the table was that NBC column that talked about what Vince was doing and going to Italy and bringing back kittens and puppies from Turks and Caicos. You know, it has not been They have not looked good, and some of it is the lawyers sniping back and forth. But you know, we'll see what twist he decides to put on all of this stuff from a public relations point of view, because obviously, with this new firm he has, they're going to be squawking and putting themselves in the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a new public relations firm. Strict In Company was hired five months ago to help rebuild his image in the wake of the lawsuit filed by Janelle grim Sounds like it didn't work. So now he has hired Edendale Strategies as his new public relations company. So maybe it'll work better this time.
Speaker 10: As a crisis pr firm. I mean they I would again you can. Maybe you only have so much to work with that you're given from, you know, the person that you're representing. But they didn't seem like they did a great job. Again, that is separate from what you think about Vince or the story or any of that sort of stuff. It's just the job they were presented to do. They weren't able to do it effectively. I don't believe. But then again again, when it comes to Vince, who wants to control narratives and things like that, he's probably not one to, you know, deal with people easily to get a story out there.
Speaker 1: So which public relations company told him to put out that message the other day? That essentially made everybody want to watch this documentary even more because he indicated that he hated it.
Speaker 10: Yes, and from I guess the timeline, it seems like the new one, did you know, because apparently because there's the other story that we didn't talk about yesterday because we weren't here was the fact that he tried to buy back the dock. Not only did he get rid of Citric Company, but he tried to buy back the dock and then used Ari Emmanuel, leaned on Ari Emmanuel to try to go and get that done, which certainly you know again certain well that's.
Speaker 1: No surprise, is Yeah, of course he was going to do that. But I wonder how much he would have to pay, because man, they they this was not a cheap documentary. No, there's a lot of original music, and I mean they put years into this thing.
Speaker 10: So yeah, and it would have been dead, buried and gone in all likelihood until he passed away. And even then, you know, who knows what would have come from this. And you know, there's a lot in there. There's a lot of interviews with a lot of people. You know, if nothing else, there's a lot of stories that maybe people hadn't heard that are going to be out there and being able to be jabbed at from different points of view. Obviously Dave Meltzer was on there, and you had Shoemaker and you have other people that are there to try to combat things. So all of that footage too, that apparently is used in this thing. It's a I guess we're a wrestling fan that does know everything. That could be very interesting too, because apparently a lot of that footage isn't the stuff you always see that's clipped up and putting a lot of the retrospectives you see all the time from WWE.
Speaker 1: All right, we got grands LAMB and this appears to be what the heck's going on? Okay, So tonight we got John Moxley Darby Ellen for the a W World title shot, Young Bucks against will Ospray and Fletcher for the tag team titles, Mariah May versus Yukasakazaki, Hook versus Roderick Strong, Prince Nana with an update on Swerve, and perhaps Brian Danielson versus Nigel McGinnis in a non title match.
Speaker 10: He got an asterix and everything.
Speaker 1: I don't get it, brother, I don't get it. I don't get it. And then for a Grand Slam, we have got Jericho, Big Bill and Brian Keith versus Orange, Cassie, Kylo Riley and Mark Briscoe. The Jack Perry TNT Championship Open Challenge, Siria Jamie Hayter, Sreya Rules Match, Hangman Page versus Jeff Jarrett, Ocata versus Sammy Gevar for the aw Continental Title Eliminator, Hologram versus Beast, Mortos and Drillistico and MXM Collection reveals what they did to Max Caster's jacket. I don't know if I want to know the answer to that.
Speaker 10: And that's a lot of matches for a collision, it is, that's a three way though for h Oh it is yes, okay, maybe Hologram, Beast, Mortos and Drillistico, Hali Graham and Mortos is just fine on its own. You know, i' wasn't sure if it was two against one Air.
Speaker 1: And somewhere at some time on someday will be Claudio pot Pack and Wheeler versus TVD And we don't know who, what when we're wy or why or where or who or when or why what? I don't know, but that's the lineup. So we know two cards and one we don't know yet. It is a mystery.
Speaker 10: You excited.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's gonna be a fun show. See if we got an update on ticket sales yet. I think there were six thousand the other day, So they've officially got halfway to last year.
Speaker 10: Well that is what up about fifteen hundred, two thousand tickets in the last couple of weeks, months or so, I believe it just seemed to be lingering around forty five hundred for so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were up at about five thousand, were they?
Speaker 10: Okay? I just I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Here's the morning update according to Wrestletics. Alright, seventy four sixty one.
Speaker 10: That's very good.
Speaker 1: A number of new seats have been added. Section one twelve was a new edition. I think part of it also is people are figuring out you can get twenty five dollars tickets.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: That helps, Yes, that does help a lot. All right, back in the moment, observer lived me.
Speaker 5: I can't wait for golf this weekend.
Speaker 9: Oh, buddy, time flies, love you man.
Speaker 5: Oh, forget your knee brace again.
Speaker 9: We aren't in college anymore.
Speaker 3: Moments together matter, So help protect yourself from RSV. If you're seventy five or older or sixty plus with a chronic condition like asthma, COPD, heart disease, or severe diabetes. You are at higher risk of landing in the hospital from RSV and there are no prescription RSV treatments. Check eligibility and schedule your RSV vaccine at vaxsassist dot com sponsored by Pfizer.
Speaker 4: Has someone in your family lost a job recently and now you can't afford your mortgage payment, or do you have a rental property and your tenants aren't paying you, Quick Cash Offer can come to the rescue and pay you cash for your home immediately. Yes, sell your home and get cash all over the phone, without dealing with real estate agents and risking your safety by showing your home to lukewarm buyers. You don't need to lose your home to foreclosure. If you have any equity in your home, we will buy it and give you cash within days, all in a simple over the phone and virtual process. Call Quick Cash Offer now before the economy gets worse. Sell a home you can't afford or just don't want to get the cash you need today.
Speaker 8: Eight hundred seven eight eight one four ninety five eight hundred seven eight eight one four nine five eight hundred seven eight eight one four ninety five. That's eight hundred seven eight eight fourteen ninety five.
Speaker 7: One out of two Americans thinks their life is worthy of a book. Here's another startling stat You may be one of the fifteen percent of people who bothered to start your book and one of the six percent that got halfway through it, but your gem of an idea likely died or did it. Some published authors are making significant money, so join the ranks of the successful people that finish their books with help from Dorance Publishing. Call right now and are experienced editors and writers will explain to you what it's going to take to get your book completely written, published and then taken to market to sell it. It's a free consult so call right now find out how much time and money it takes to finally get that book idea of yours published. Make your dreams happen. Called Duran's Publishing right now.
Speaker 8: Eight hundred four eight five six thousand and three eight hundred four to eight five six thousand and three, eight hundred four eight five six thousand three. That's eight hundred four eight five six zero zero three.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 12: At Wendy's you can get a small Frosty for a buck, and literally everyone is going. The car behind you going to get a dollar Frosty. The car ahead of you already had one going for a second. The person who cut you off earlier, you guessed it dollar Frosty. Hm, maybe it's all a sign for you to go get one. Just don't cut anyone off. No one likes that person. The iconic Frosty for a buck gotta be Wendy Moll.
Speaker 2: Then time only a participating in US. Wendy's not vallid in a combo.
Speaker 1: Prices maybe high in Alaska, Hawaii, California if you a third party delivery.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Back in the show, Bryan Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Live.
Speaker 10: Such impression.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I gotta talk a lot the NXT apparently, why because it's it's Wednesday.
Speaker 10: The DiAngelo training montage.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I want to say about this show. We don't have to spend a lot of time. We can talk more about Vince after a while. Send your text messages to me. I'll read him here a bit four two five seven eight zero seven five sixty six. I'll just say a couple of things about the show. We won't do the whole recap, but the first thing I will say, you know, I've gotten really mad about this show. It's just it's a waste of my time. It's a waste of my time. So if anybody from NXT is listening right now, I would just like to give you some friendly advice. Take it or leave it on as friendly easy advice anyone can do, and that is, just say your own name in all of your segments. Find a way to get your own name in these segments, or if you're working with somebody else, tell them to make sure to say your name, because it is now your responsibility. You cannot rely you cannot rely on this company to identify you. Poor Lola Ice, she's the one I've really been keeping track of. It's like a decree do not identify Lola Ice by name or by graphic under penalty of firing. I think they will not identify her. I just been keeping an eye all week, or the last couple of weeks. Actually, it's like, are you gonna put lola Ice name it? Nope? They're not gonna is anybody gonna say her name? Nope, they're not. She's she's just a mystery woman. And so Lola, I'm not even begging. I don't care. It's your career. Say your own name. Find a way to get your own name out there so that you can identify yourself and people might know who you are. Now, the show was a little better, but it's still weird because it's like they identify certain people but not others, like they have no problem. Hank and Tank did a backstage problem when they put Hank and Tank right up there on the screen, no problem whatsoever. And then later, you know, or earlier, they had a Javon Evans skit and they didn't identify him at all. He's just a guy in the backstage area. But then like an hour later, they do another skit and they identify him. Then it's like, why didn't you do that earlier? Like you know what I'm saying. And then this is one it really got my goat. So they did a press conference. I'll just pivot to the actually I'll get to this point. Oh god, just the old, the whole thing. So they advertised an NXT on CW press conference. Okay, I thought Tony Kahn did some long press conferences. This press conference apparently went for two hours during a live NXT, So like there's all this press in the back, okay, and like at the beginning of the show, it's like the press conference starts. Ava's doing the press conference, but we're not. We don't get to see it because we're watching all of the matches. Okay. So then like you know, about twenty minutes in, it's like, let's go to that press conference and here from NXT Champion Ethan Page. So they go to Ethan page and it's time for the fans ask the questions and are reporters I'm sorry? So the first report was like do you feel any pressure is Champion for this NXT debut? Ethan's like I don't, I don't. And then there's like one other nothing question that he calls an end of the press his portion of the press conference. It's like this was a complete and total waste of time. So then they go back to the show again and then they're like having a match and might I think it might have been the Lexus King orro mensa match. So they're doing the match and then they show a picture and picture of like Ava talking at the press conference, but you can't hear her. They're just like Ava is answering questions for the press at the press conference. I don't know what they asked. I don't know what she answered. I have no clue. We never find out. So then they do some more matches, and then you know, we have another person at the press conference or whatever. You know, no hard kitting questions, no Janelle Grant, nothing, just a bunch of stupid questions. It's just a complete he was not there, is not allowed in. And so finally at the end of the show they go and the press conference here has officially ended. We will now move the press conference to the ring for the conclusion.
Speaker 10: The arena portion of the proceedings.
Speaker 1: I said, that's the main event, okay. So we go to the ring and in the ring is Julia and Roxanne Perez. Okay, and next next to Julia is Funaki. I'm absolutely dying. They they ask Julia a question, okay, and Julia begins to answer in Japanese, and she begins to talk, and she talks and she talks, and she begins getting what chance. I'm like this is death, but it's like a joke. She keeps speaking Jepany. She keeps going, and she keeps going, and she keeps going, and she keeps going and she's still going. At this point, it was hilarious. I was like, how long is she gonna speak in Japanese? Like how long? And I timed it was two straight minutes. No, he was He was furiously scribbling, and I was like, I wonder why he's furiously scribbling. That's kind of weird because like he understands what she's saying. Like we see translators all the time, they don't write it down. You know, you have se some you know Brazilians, they're speaking Portuguese and the guy just listens and then you know he he translates it. But Funaki's furiously type and writing it down. So I'm wondering, why is this guy doing this? Well I figured it out because Funaki then begins to be evins to translate Julia. But they're concerned you might not understand Funaki either, so they put up like close captioning.
Speaker 10: That's why I thought he maybe he was doing it on the fly because she wouldn't know about.
Speaker 13: That he was like, because they had him write reading a script they exactly because they put up the closed captioning and they wanted to match it with what he said, so he had to pretend he was writing so they could read exactly what was gonna be on the screen.
Speaker 1: But I was infuriated because I was like, so you can't afford graphics. Oh god, they had like three pages of graphics that and then this guy goes, actually it's true. Yeah. So then they end up basketing in another question and now she just speaks English answers in English. I was like, so what did you speak for two minutes in Japanese for? So I'm just watching this thing and like, I can't say it was bad, but this was the most boring. Yes, nothing happening. This was the final NXT on the USA network. They go to CWN next week. Out with a whimper. Is the best that I can say. This show went out with a whimper.
Speaker 10: Stephanie Backer didn't save it either. At the end. It was just the idea was probably it was good. It was a press conference like you know you always do. It just didn't come across very well at all, which again was a little bit of a surprise. The press conference during the show just felt like they are doing this so they have it all set up for the opening of the CW next week when they flash in. Because there was no reason that you had to have the ongoing press conference part of that show at all at all, because he had Ego and trick, you know, with Cmpunk. Both of those segments were very good, so you didn't even need those two guys talking to the press. Why didn't see him Punk talk to the press. You would figure they would want to talk.
Speaker 1: Oh, he did, but it was during the show. Oh we didn't. We did actually see or hear any of it. Yes, this was a two hour press conference. Mike, this guy here goes the end? Felt rushed? It did? She spoke for two straight minutes in Japanese while the fans chanted what.
Speaker 10: It felt like it wouldn't end.
Speaker 1: Whoever came up with that idea, I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: It was bad.
Speaker 1: You need to be drafted to impact for a little while.
Speaker 10: Not the end of the world, but it was certainly in this now one thing that again we didn't talk about yesterday because we weren't here. The CW sports numbers came out from over the weekend, there was a NASCAR race that did like nine hundred thousand at Bristol, but their football ratings were relatively low. Decided just to look the last couple of days of that were available of CW during the week and look, there're gonna be football games that beat it. I don't think CW has anything else, And we'll find if there's a big drop in anybody switching from USA.
Speaker 1: These fans, these fans are gonna find it, and it's gonna do alright, that's what's to.
Speaker 10: Be seed w's number one rated show by like leaps and backs.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be NXCW before too long.
Speaker 10: By, which is amazing because they don't seem to be doing a whole lot of advertising or big push. It's just like, Okay, we can't wait till it gets.
Speaker 1: Here because our show, the stories are all going to be coming out over the next couple of days.
Speaker 10: Well, and I'm not sure what I did last night, but.
Speaker 1: It's Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 10: Six hundred and fifty seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Eighty something to write about lately.
Speaker 10: Of the rest of now, it'd be interesting to see what they actually do for that first episode and where they settle.
Speaker 1: In at all right, let's do some Vince text here. Oh boy, and this person says, after the Vince documentary, you think Shane is more likely to debut in AW and run his own wrestling promotion. No, what does that have to do with anything? I mean, he might do something there, but this Shane thing is like, oh man, you guys are setting yourself up for like just what are you expecting a boom period? Because Dane McMahon is a character in AW, Like it's it's I don't know, I don't know. This person here says a lot of raw underground. When's the last time Vince did a Monday night or rewatch?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 1: Vince McMahon probably never never?
Speaker 10: Why? Like again, it's people will come up to wrestlers and go remember that time in that match and that dayton No, they don't because they were on the road two hundred and fifty days and it was a day of work for them. They don't remember things in the way that you do. And how can you when you're constantly producing. If you're Vince, who again seemed like he filled twenty out of twenty four hours in a day with four hours for sleeping, how do you go back and try to remember all of that stuff. It's impossible.
Speaker 1: Oh here's one of these. Even with Vince out of the building, I hope this documentary reminds everyone that as long as Bruce is in the building, Vince is too. I'm sure that Vince gives Bruce ideas, but I mean, all due respect, I do not believe this person writing this text actually watches Ron SmackDown. Because you cannot watch this show. You cannot actually be a regular viewer and think that this feels like a Vince McMahon show. It is not. It is the polar opposite from you know, it was. I can't remember what it was. I can't remember what he said or what somebody said about him, but I was like, brother, you were the bottom of the barrel from I mean it was probably before twenty eighteen, but twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, I mean, this was This was at WCW levels of atrocious, nonsensical, horrible, awful booking, and it was all Vince. And there's no way that you sit through those three years and then sit through the last two years and honestly say this feels like the same thing. This is a Vince product.
Speaker 10: If Bronson red and Braun Stroman were both fired by Vince a right.
Speaker 1: I mean the fact that we have Braun Bronson and Braun Vinch never would have allowed that. Everybody would have changed it. Braun would just be Stroman. He'd allow Braun breaker because he's like, you know, the biggest star, and then Bronson Reid would just be like read that's that's far from the biggest change. By the way, although if.
Speaker 10: You only watch the booking of Giovanni Vinci, I can see how you can think that.
Speaker 1: Back in a moment with more Observer.
Speaker 2: Live, you were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simpervv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Networks.
Speaker 1: You know, somebody on the deal here had a good question, t witch. I mean, we need probably a long time to talk about this, but they said, who knows where WWE would be right now if Vince was still with the company. It is impossible to say. But if you look at the trajectory of WWE if he had not departed, I can tell you one thing, Grand Slam would be doing a lot better, and there's a decent chance that this would be way more neck and neck than it is right now, and there's even a there's somewhat of a chance that AW would have overtaken them in a lot of ways. I believe that one thousand percent. I mean, I think it was happening when everything went down. I mean it was happening. They were neck and neck. Dynamite was beating them in eighteen to thirty four on some weeks. I mean, it was getting very, very close, and then he was gone and wwe improved and all of a sudden it just KORENE the other way. So we'll never know. We'll never know. But here's the thing. Here's the thing. Twenty eighteen, twenty, nineteen, twenty twenty, what was he seventy five, seventy six, seventy seven. What you think he was gonna get better? He was only gonna get worse. He was only going to get worse. He wasn't gonna figure this out again. The shows were gonna be as bad or worse. Hey, and it was on and they were hemorrhaging viewers at that point.
Speaker 10: If you're talking about hypotheticals, though, we could be in the case where AW kept shooting itself in its foot and Vince brought down WWE, and then we would have had two situations where neither company was thriving.
Speaker 1: Would have been that as well, but WWE would not be where they are now. I can tell you that for sure. I can tell you that for sure. Anyway, at a time back later on tonight actually first Lance Storm two thirty Pacific, five thirty Eastern, he will take questions about the Vince McMahon bio as well if you're watching live, and then later on tonight with Dave and that's it. We'll talk to you next time Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network